• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sf2stargate (resized).png
Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 11.34.22 pm (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

G'day, i recently picked up a SFII pinball & have managed to get it all going now, except for the left Stargate ramp. The coil in it was seized up- a Gottlieb A-27642. Got a new replacement coil & have installed it but the it is still not working at all. Wiring appears to be correct (picture below ). Not really sure what else to check, is it possibly a board issue? When i check it in test mode there is no action at all - coil has no heat either. All other coils work in the game.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 11.34.22 pm (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-06 at 11.34.22 pm (resized).png
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Karnov17:

is it possibly a board issue?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

I'd study up on the Gottlieb section. To get an idea what drives in. Since it is wired to the nearby switch, I don't know if a transistor is involved or not.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Could be mosfet q8 on your driver board. I saw on a tnt video that those Stargate ramp coils should be replaced with a-30478 coils as well. Talks about replacing the left flipper coil with another according to gottliebs own addendum and there's some other somewhat useful information in the 2 videos they posted regarding sf2 as well, for what it's worth.

#4 1 year ago

Correction A-30468, my bad.

#5 1 year ago

So did a bit more digging on this and looks like the F25 fuse controls the 2 stargates, via a SB1. When i checked the fuse in it, the previous owner had a 5A in it, so i dare say there will be a board issue. I swapped the fuse to a correct one and the right ramp is still working, however i can see the line in the fuse moving everytime i activate the right stargate.

Can someone confirm if a SB1 is the correct fuse? Ive never noticed a fuse insides moving before without blowing. I gave it about 30 activations and although it mnoved each time, never blew. Is that a normal reaction?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from BigUgly:

Could be mosfet q8 on your driver board. I saw on a tnt video that those Stargate ramp coils should be replaced with a-30478 coils as well. Talks about replacing the left flipper coil with another according to gottliebs own addendum and there's some other somewhat useful information in the 2 videos they posted regarding sf2 as well, for what it's worth.

As the wrong fuse was in there i am assuming you are correct.

Can anyone walk me through how i can test the mosfet Q8 using my multimeter?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Karnov17:

So did a bit more digging on this and looks like the F25 fuse controls the 2 stargates, via a SB1. When i checked the fuse in it, the previous owner had a 5A in it, so i dare say there will be a board issue. I swapped the fuse to a correct one and the right ramp is still working, however i can see the line in the fuse moving everytime i activate the right stargate.
Can someone confirm if a SB1 is the correct fuse? Ive never noticed a fuse insides moving before without blowing. I gave it about 30 activations and although it mnoved each time, never blew. Is that a normal reaction?

SB1 is correct.
sf2stargate (resized).pngsf2stargate (resized).png

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Karnov17:

Can anyone walk me through how i can test the mosfet Q8 using my multimeter?

Youtube - check for video on how to test transistor. You should find something to help.

#9 1 year ago

Hi everyone, been trying to learn a bit more on this. I put the MM on V & placed the red prong on the middle leg @ Q8 & the coil for the left ramp fires successfully. So since this is firing, does that mean that that Q8 needs replacing, or the fact it worked when tested with MM does that suggest their may be issues before or after the Q8?

Sorry to be a bit of a dunce with this stuff

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Karnov17:

So since this is firing, does that mean that that Q8 needs replacing,

Could be.

You have verified transistor legs to coil is good.

Doesn't mean transistor or or something up stream from it is good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-left-ramp-solenoid-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.