kst (resized).jpg
giphy(28).gif
RescueSweePea.gif
SF2 (resized).jpg
20170411_135100 (resized).jpg
1491932810690-604650826 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
TP (resized).jpg
yfzYi4jf8FrMHta7Ck2NHFp9pZhXjLDEdS-_sW1j0E1sb_y4EUgDGobH223RMf_Rvv2t=s85 (resized).jpg
mel2 (resized).jpg
mel1 (resized).jpg
SFPF (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

For years I've had to bite my tongue whilst people in denial type things like "It's way underrated!" or "It's not that bad!" or "It's a great deal!" Cause you know, even though it was obviously a monstrosity, I'd never actually had any experience with one. And I choose to be an informed critic with exacting standards!!!

Last night I finally played one, at a barcade that for some reason decided to bring one in.

Sorry folks, this is one of the worst games ever made.

So stop trying to say it isn't. It's got several of the stupidest features I've ever seen on a pinball machine. The car crash thingee is an embarrassment to lower playfields. The huge ugly upper playfield with a spinning flipper with a guy doing the splits on top of it is a huge embarrassment to upper playfields. It has a third flipper for no particular reason. And it's got those wonderful gigantic Gottlieb gobble holes everywhere. Throw in the trademark horrific Gottlieb flippers, "feel," mechanics, and some of the worst dot matrix animations in the history of anything (and I'm counting Times Square billboards in the 1960s) and you've got a real winner.

The game is also horrifically ugly (no thanks to its truly atrocious theme), though by the time they got around to the artwork I'm sure they were literally making fun of themselves. Unfortunately (I guess?) I couldn't hear the sound, but I can only imagine what a treat for the ears that must be.

So look, I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but it's your own damn fault for trying to convince yourself and others that this game is anything more than the complete turd we all know it is. Stop it. STOP IT!

And by god, stop trying to sell these things for over $900.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Very entertaining review. What is next on your list of potential trash topics?

I don't know...Space Jam? Never played that one either.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

It's bad but there's worse. I'll take sf over space jam any day.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Leaving a review of your rating of SFII would be of great help so other pinheads can avoid the trauma you have just had while playing SFII .Evan worse the dollar you have pissed away and the 5 or 10 minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Did I mention those ridiculous trademarked premier "endless ball saves?" SHOOT AGAIN

so more like 15 minutes. I'm still trying to recover from the emotional trauma. Fortunately there was a Funhouse in disrepair right next to it that was much more fun.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have GOT to play this famous (IN-famooos) pin. So bad it's good?

No. It's kind of like Battlefield Earth.

So bad it's bad.

I've owned/played many of Gottlieb's 90s House of Horrors - Rescue 9/11, Waterworld, Freddy, Teed Off, Wipeout - and found redeeming qualities for all of them.

I've played Barbed Wire. And Street Fighter 2 is no Barbed Wire.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

CrazyLevi, What do you think about Shaq Attack?

Never played it. Or Big Hurt. I can't imagine these are winners.

Quoted from westofrome:

Mario Andretti anyone?

God yes. Absolutely horrible.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Kyrosfear:

Big Hurt is actually one of the best Sys3s. FWIW.
-Kyros

Did you know that when premier went tits up, frank Thomas was listed as a creditor? I guess he didn't get paid.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The 90s Gottlieb games actually had a ton of stuff.
I mean, look at games like RCT. That would be an LE if it were made today.

Waterworld has mad toys yo!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it's because their games were far and away better than 90s gotts & DE/Sega...I mean not even close. And Premieres were just laughable.
So many people now have a hard time imagining what it was like to go to an arcade, and there was a brand new SF2 next to a brand new TZ.

For me it was an Addams Family next to a CFTBL next to a Jurrasic Park next to a Class of 1812.

Two of the games got quarters and two didn't. THough all these years later I'm willing to concede JP ain't that bad.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I can't believe there's actually a thread dedicated to trashing a pinball.

Really?!

I guess you missed the other 18,574 Pinside threads dedicated to trashing a pinball.

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I've never had the "displeasure" of playing SF2, but it can't possibly be worse than Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball. Sufferin' succotash!

Never even seen one. I've only heard the horror stories.

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Don't let what is on my bench offend you too much....

Yes, I am doing a complete restoration of a SF2. It the first playfield I've ever tried to restore. I figured if I mess it up, I would not be out much... still it is coming along.

STOP SPREADING POSITIVITY IN MY HATE THREAD!

No manners!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from attack7777:

The commentary on it on last night's Buffalo Pinball stream were a lot of fun
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/121949589

Do they touch on SF2 or gottliebs in general?

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Except the theme, shots, and nostalgia.

I'll agree these are all fantastic attributes of Twilight Zone and CFTBL.

But this is a SF2 thread.

#125 7 years ago

Well its true. Yall are a bunch of haters.

No shit. That's the whole point of this thread.

What was the tip off? The fact that a bunch of people hate SF2 and are willing to post about it?

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Bet it's a cheap license!

You know a game is unwanted when Dennis Hopper's personal HUO copy sold for 1000 bucks at auction after his death.

#130 7 years ago

Now THIS is the kind of hatefest I was hoping for before all these Premier Lovers invaded my thread with their unwanted positivity BS!

Keep it coming bros!

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Such a common story...
Some people on Pinside talk up a game, saying that it's rep is not deserved, and it's actually great if only you give it a try.
So then I think, "maybe they're right, I'll give it a chance" and I play the game at a show or a friend's place and then I remember why I came to the opinion I did.
Anyone who says this game is "fun" should have their head checked.

Right, exactly. That was the whole point! I've been reading SF2 apologists' tripe for years.

They are truly insane. The game is horrible in each and every way.

And the worst part about it is it's best possible use is as a parts machine...for some other Premier pile.

Sad!

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Think you might want to check prices. You can hate all you want, but there are plenty of buyer's for lower end dmd's. Much more in that range than 3k+ machines. I am as vehement a hater of shaq attack, but even it pulls 1300 plus anymore. Baffles me, but I have seen non-working ones sell for 600-700 dollars.

Where the hell were all these people when I couldn't sell a fully working waterworld here for 900 bucks?! For literally a month I had it, begging some poor bastard to take it.

These premier dmd piles still Hoover around $1000, I don't care what anybody says. There are always exceptions (Freddy cause the theme and Stargate for some unfathomable reason) but by and large 10 benjamins should get you a premier game without much trouble.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Yet another "I don't like it so you shouldn't either" thread, as per usual around here Silly

Just killing time between another Otaku "I don't like this well established vendor who has been helping the hobby for decades and you shouldn't either" thread.

1 week later
#159 7 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

It's too bad we all cannot be expert reviewers after playing only one game.

It's all I could handle bro, and it lasted forever. Really it was like playing 4 games of something else.

What was with Premier and their endless ballsaves? I had a Waterworld that would give out insane ball save whether you wanted them or not (you didn't). You can't fix in the settings either.

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Seriously though, it's a bad game. It's not quite South Park bad, but almost.

South Park has the humor, sound bites, and some good dots that put it way above SF2. Wouldn't have to think for even a second between choosing between those two!

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

South Park lasted a whole two weeks in my collection. Although, I only bought it for nostalgia.For some reason I managed to hold on the Street Fighter 2 for almost 3 years now.

Whatever floats your boat buddy.

Even SF2 hater haters are welcome in this thread!

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Although I like Family Guy, you would not believe the amount of people (who don't know each other) I've heard say "Family Guy sucks but American Dad is good" (almost like you can't just say "Family Guy sucks"),

Both shows have their moments and both can be terrible. But American Dad has Roger who is easily my favorite character of either show so I'll give that one the edge. I'd really just rather watch a show about him.

The Family Guy Star Wars episode was great but Empire and Jedi got progressively lamer.

#186 7 years ago

Premier lovers invading my thread.

Honestly it's not cool.

But, I've learned if you truly love a thread, you must set it free.

#191 7 years ago

If this thread can stop just one innocent person from making the life-altering mistake of buying a SF2...well it'll be a failure. I was hoping to stop lots of people.

#193 7 years ago

Having that SF2 in the home is tantamount to child abuse!

#202 7 years ago

This is my thread and it's very precious to me. Please refrain from hashtag abuse.

1 week later
#224 7 years ago

All this fussin' and a fightin' over street fighter 2.

It ain't worth it fellas.

2 weeks later
#262 7 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

Your review is terribly misinformed. I owned this game for four years and although I agree that it's not close to as good as most of the ballys and williams of its time it's still not a bad game. First off, the game stayed very true to the theme. The car crunch is a gimmick, but it integrates well based on theme. The "guy" at the top doing the splits is actually a girl and that was one of her signature moves in the arcade game. It was integrated well based on the theme. The third flipper is necessary for the spinning kick shot. Without it you couldn't hit two of the necessary shots needed to get to the wizzard mode. I'm not sure how this makes the third flipper useless. I agree that the gottlieb flippers feel clunky. Dot matrix isn't great, but they are integrated well based on the theme. Artwork sucks. I'll give you that one. I sold mine recently for $1300 and had quite a few parties interested, therfore that's the value. Just because you value it at 900 doesn't mean that's what it should sell for. Try finding any dmd game less than $1300. That's right, you won't. I think the game play is fun. Lots of modes and good shots. It's no tz but it sells for 1/6th of the price.

I played it and it sucks.

Terribly informed. Terrible game.

#288 7 years ago

Update:

Street Fighter II: still terrible.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

I hate to say it but i think the price of SF 2 has went up $500 bucks sense Levi started this thread

That makes no since!

1 month later
#313 6 years ago

It's been a few weeks and I'm sad to report that this game continues to age poorly.

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from janus:

Never thought of you as a troll...

Yeah, trolling all 3 of those SF2 superfans out there. I know, it's uncalled for...

#357 6 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

I think by now everyone understands that sf2 isn't as good as the top rated games. The game is priced accordingly. Why shame people for owning it? Not everyone has the funds for multiple top rated games. Maybe we should go through everyone's collection that criticized this game and talk about how terrible some of their games are.

The problem is it's at best a $600 game, just like it has been for a decade. But lately, I've seen price creep on this monstrosity, and people are encouraging it by claiming "hey it's not so bad."

This kind of fake news is what's wrong with the country today! Also, get off my lawn.

So I'm not shaming anybody for owning it. I'm shaming people for claiming it's good.

For shame!

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

I am shameless! When one of you haters finds a sweet SF2 for real cheap, let me know. I won't charge you much to take it away

I haven't played this, but it looks fun. I loved Popeye as a kid and I love the world... best theme ever?

Popeye used to be "the worst game in pinball" which I always thought was unfair, especially in a world filled with Gottlieb System 3s. It's not THAT bad...but it's still that bad. The main issues with Popeye are an uninspired playfield layout with crap all over the place blocking the ball, and software that often makes zero sense. The upper playfield is the worst offender. It really doesn't tell you what to do, and if you actually manage to do it, it doesn't bother telling you what you did. I like the sound and music, and it's not the worst game ever made, but it's probably the worst WPC game. Pretty bad waste of a theme.

They managed to move some of these units, but I heard the not pathetic sales figures are due to Williams forcing distributors to buy them if they wanted the latest Mortal Kombat game.

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I guess you never looked at the DMD when in the upper playfield. It is really simple. Rescue Swee Pea and there is a map on how to do it. There is a picture showing you doors available. There are three lights over the ramp for left, forward and right. And most of all
There is a map with an X on it.
Look - Shoot the middle to go straight 4 times and you win! Real hard.

When you "win" NOTHING appears on the screen - pretty sweet "reward" for something that's extremely difficult to do. Nor does it tell you WHY you want to "rescue sweet pea" in the first place. I still have no idea. Did I win points? If so, how many? Why did I just waste 10 trips to the upper playfield trying to accomplish this dull and trying task?

Don't take it personally man. There's plenty of reasons Popeye has such a bad rap and this is one of them.

#367 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You must have had the first run of software.

Obviously.

It's still kind of a laborious task without a great payoff. Nobody has ever included Popeye's upper playfield on a list of the greats.

But hey you are missing the point...I do NOT think it's the worst game ever made! And this is a rep it had for a decade.

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Come on Mr. Sarcasm. Give me some cred for pulling out the GIF. I just happen to be on the laptop I colored the game with

Thanks for including that clip so I know now, 10 years later, that I won 50 million points! The animation is cute too.

But "mr. sarcasm?" That's not really my thing, I think sarcasm is pretty much the laziest form of humor.

I do satire!

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

One of these days someone, somewhere will get a thumbs up from you. And that day we will know someone, somewhere hacked your account

Not sure if you noticed, but you know what NOBODY will get from me? A thumbs down. because I completely blocked that idiotic feature months ago. Can I get some credit for that?

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Mine are Barb Wire and X-files and Star Wars: Episode 1 and Baywatch. Only SW:E1 is in my pinball room (alongside RFM).
'96 Barb Wire purchased in '97 in excellent condition
'97 X-files purhcased NIB in '97
'99 SW:E1 purchased NIB in '99
'94 Baywatch purchased in '97 in good condition but with some cabinet dings

I just got rid of a Team One which is certainly the worst game I've owned in ages. Way too easy with a terrible ruleset, and ugly too.

1 month later
#408 6 years ago

I dunno, dgpinball seems to love it. he might even describe it as "great"

If the game is so hot why are you trying to make it "great again?'

I don't understand this at all. What in the intervening 20 years made the "Great" SFII suddenly not great, and how is adding color to those terrible animations going to somehow return this heap to it's supposed greatness?

Please...explain your slogan as it makes no sense.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I realize that coloring the DMD doesn't change the rules or the way that SF2 plays but Malenko did a knock out job on this. Changing those animations made a HUGE difference. Where I'm not a SF2 fan (or a hater) I can completely appreciate those that do enjoy it and this colorization/redesign of the DMD animations is a nice treat for those that own a pin that doesn't get much love.

I'm unhappy about all this progress toward respectability. We need to MAKE SF2 SUCK AGAIN!

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

To make it "suck again" would mean that at one point you thought it did not suck. Did you just have a revelation, Levi?

Just going along with the pretense that color DMD will somehow make it not suck, and begging to go back to non color so it indeed sucks again.

I think. Even I'm confused at this point.

Rules are next. Soon you'll be looking at $1500 SF2 like "man, what a good deal!"....lol

All you gotta do is fix the playfield and art, and theme and then we'll really be cooking with gas!

1 week later
#438 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Levi, nice to meet you at Pintastic. Now break yourself away from the tournament long enough to get a SF2 laugh in the Free Play room. Most pins are labeled Not For Sale or For Sale with a price. SF2 was the only pin I saw that just said "Make an offer".

Nice to meet you too taxie!

And there was a price on it- $1600. I tried to play it but there were too many people pointing and laughing around the game and price tag, I couldn't get in there.

1 week later
#453 6 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

I was just generalizing Malenko, don't get me wrong, you've done some amazing work.

I honestly can't think of a single B/W or Stern that recycled the Extra Ball animation, or the Multi-ball sequence. Maybe the fonts.
Premier was just being super lazy or possibly, super cheap about things.

I've got one!

Stern use that disgusting Poop Multiball not once, not twice, but THRICE! Poop multiball South Park...Poop multiball Austin Powers...and for some god forsaken reason that I'll never understand, they used the same poop multiball animation in CSI.

CSI?! Was there a lot of fecal matter in that show?

1 month later
#468 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Seriously. You have 98% of players have no idea what this game is until they come to pinside.
They're dirt poor, and looking for 900-1200 machine, and guess what? This shitcake is the only one. They liked SF2 video game growing up, they buy it and glue their dolls all over it.
It would be sad but luckily in REAL LIFE, no one I know has ever heard someone say this was a good game.

Fact!

#475 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I just like different games
You guys like to harp on people who don't like the same games as you
Different strokes for different folks i guess

"you guys" = every single person on pinside. Everybody here has games they think suck and love to talk about them.

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

"You guys" = 3 man echo chamber.
You each have 50+ posts in this thread.....lol. Enjoy your bashing....

That's the whole point. We are enjoying our bashing.

You can visit a pro-SF2 echo chamber here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/make-street-fighter-ii-great-again

Thank you drive through.

#482 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh jesus not the ol' "vitriol" crap again. look, we talk shit aboot the game no big whoop. He comes in here talking shit and gets some shit thrown back at him. If you aren't expecting that you're not very bright.

Seriously. Lighten up. It's a friggin' joke.

I can't believe people get upset about this stuff. It's a pinball machine, not your mom.

I've had people PM about SF2 begging me not to be so cruel. It boggles the mind.

If there's a crime against humanity here, it's not being perpetrated by the haters. It's by people who try to say this game is good and might trick unsuspecting suckers into buying this game.

Look, I get that people are passionate about their games, even stuff as awful as SF2. But why would you constantly come harass us in our beautiful SF2 hatethread when you know exactly what's here? And why would you do that when if WE visit an SF2 lovefest, we get nasty PMs and get ratted out to the mods for "trolling" when you are doing the same thing?

Mcpin54 has the right idea. If you come into a hatethread, might as well bask in the hate. It's obviously what you are gonna see there.

#486 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This thread is turning into the Playa Haters Ball.

We're taking it back.

5 months later
#488 6 years ago

just a reminder.

it's still terrible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.50
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Boards
PinSound

$ 36.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 84.99
$ 9.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-is-terrible?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.