kst (resized).jpg
giphy(28).gif
RescueSweePea.gif
SF2 (resized).jpg
20170411_135100 (resized).jpg
1491932810690-604650826 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
TP (resized).jpg
yfzYi4jf8FrMHta7Ck2NHFp9pZhXjLDEdS-_sW1j0E1sb_y4EUgDGobH223RMf_Rvv2t=s85 (resized).jpg
mel2 (resized).jpg
mel1 (resized).jpg
SFPF (resized).jpg

There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I am! It's frustratingly fun and the music/callouts are sooo cheesy...I love it!
The missus really enjoys it as well. She also asked if we could watch the Street Fighter movie.
I said no to the movie because it's just so gosh darned awful.

Watch the animated movie instead, its awesome!

4 weeks later
#402 6 years ago

why is this thread slowing down? I'm sure there are others out there that need to know.

#403 6 years ago

I don't think I could possibly disagree more with a title post than this one!!

I first played SF2 when it came into the distributor's showroom way back in 93, and I immediately liked it, remember this was at the same time that, TZ, STTNG, IJ, CFTBL and other classic titles were dominating the market, but there was just something I really enjoyed about SF. Yes it's linear, yes it has some funky code issues, yes the artwork is meh at best, and yes the car crash is one of the most useless toys ever, but there are some really tough/fun shots here, and getting to the battle with the master is still one of the most satisfying goals I've encountered, challenging enough without being frustrating!!.

It's the only Gottlieb DMD I've ever owned out of easily 200+ games, and I have no plans to ever sell it!

#404 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

why is this thread slowing down? I'm sure there are others out there that need to know.

Need to know there is now a pin2dmd color display available now? WERE MAKING THIS MF'R GREAT AGAIN!

#405 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Need to know there is now a pin2dmd color display available now? WERE MAKING THIS MF'R GREAT AGAIN!

ummm, to be great again, it has to be great at least once...or at least mediocre at best. Or even below average. But when you start at the very very bottom of the DMD library, the chances to reach greatness is none. It might be able to pass Xfiles, if you swap the playfield with a totally different game.

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

ummm, to be great again, it has to be great at least once...or at least mediocre at best. Or even below average. But when you start at the very very bottom of the DMD library, the chances to reach greatness is none. It might be able to pass Xfiles, if you swap the playfield with a totally different game.

I dunno, dgpinball seems to love it. he might even describe it as "great"

#407 6 years ago

well there always has to be one out there that doesn't know good from bad. I'm sure there is someone out there that thinks Dr.Jekyll and mr.hide is a fun game on the NES.

#408 6 years ago

I dunno, dgpinball seems to love it. he might even describe it as "great"

If the game is so hot why are you trying to make it "great again?'

I don't understand this at all. What in the intervening 20 years made the "Great" SFII suddenly not great, and how is adding color to those terrible animations going to somehow return this heap to it's supposed greatness?

Please...explain your slogan as it makes no sense.

#409 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If the game is so hot why are you trying to make it "great again?'
I don't understand this at all. What in the intervening 20 years made the "Great" SFII suddenly not great, and how is adding color to those terrible animations going to somehow return this heap to it's supposed greatness?
Please...explain your slogan as it makes no sense.

#1 Street Fighter 2 is a great game. The pinball is just an extension of its greateness, duh. Making it great.

#2 The terrible animations are now AMAZINGLY detailed and awesome looking. Have you even looked at what Malenko did?

#3 The slogan is just pulled from Malenkos colorizing thread, in which, he made the game GREAT AGAIN.

#410 6 years ago

I realize that coloring the DMD doesn't change the rules or the way that SF2 plays but Malenko did a knock out job on this. Changing those animations made a HUGE difference. Where I'm not a SF2 fan (or a hater) I can completely appreciate those that do enjoy it and this colorization/redesign of the DMD animations is a nice treat for those that own a pin that doesn't get much love.

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

I realize that coloring the DMD doesn't change the rules or the way that SF2 plays but Malenko did a knock out job on this. Changing those animations made a HUGE difference. Where I'm not a SF2 fan (or a hater) I can completely appreciate those that do enjoy it and this colorization/redesign of the DMD animations is a nice treat for those that own a pin that doesn't get much love.

I'm unhappy about all this progress toward respectability. We need to MAKE SF2 SUCK AGAIN!

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm unhappy about all this progress toward respectability. We need to MAKE SF2 SUCK AGAIN!

To make it "suck again" would mean that at one point you thought it did not suck. Did you just have a revelation, Levi?

#413 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Rules are next. Soon you'll be looking at $1500 SF2 like "man, what a good deal!"....lol

#414 6 years ago

I can't believe people would buy a color DMD for this. That's worth more than the entire game fully working.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from stpcore:

To make it "suck again" would mean that at one point you thought it did not suck. Did you just have a revelation, Levi?

Just going along with the pretense that color DMD will somehow make it not suck, and begging to go back to non color so it indeed sucks again.

I think. Even I'm confused at this point.

Rules are next. Soon you'll be looking at $1500 SF2 like "man, what a good deal!"....lol

All you gotta do is fix the playfield and art, and theme and then we'll really be cooking with gas!

#416 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Done.

#417 6 years ago

I really, really want one. But everyone i saw was in absolute horrible condition.

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I really, really want one. But everyone i saw was in absolute horrible condition.

well that will never change. SF2 always looks horrible. only way it's going to look better is if you look at one with a different name

#419 6 years ago

giphy(28).gifgiphy(28).gif

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well that will never change. SF2 always looks horrible. only way it's going to look better is if you look at one with a different name

"Condition".

You should have seen it. Worst one was as ugly as you could imagine (playfield wear, powerless coils, broken ramps) as you can imagine PLUS they replaced some screws beneath the palyfield that were way too long and reched out on thee top of they playfield.

Guy had only that pile-o-shit games but I went home that day with an relatively cheap Operation Thunder (wich took me 3 weeks before I could play a game on it) and I absolutely love it.

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I can't believe people would buy a color DMD for this. That's worth more than the entire game fully working.

A SF2 for less than 200 bucks ? It is a pin2dmd not a colorDMD !

#422 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well there always has to be one out there that doesn't know good from bad. I'm sure there is someone out there that thinks Dr.Jekyll and mr.hide is a fun game on the NES.

I'll guarantee I'm not the only one who likes it, if I decided to sell mine, (which will not happen) it would be gone in a split second, I've had several offers for it.

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

We're aware

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

i'd still feel ripped off.

#425 6 years ago

Maybe if there were a way for the pin2DMD to just play the animations on it's own? Then you could hange the DMD as a piece of wall art instead of tacking it on a total shitburger of a machine?

#426 6 years ago

I don't know if anyone else here has ever seen any of the PlayerPiano YouTube channel's videos before, but in some songs the pianist uses a piano made to look like a pinball machine. I just now realized though that they actually used some SFII parts! Some plastics, and I think the plunger lane wireform, is what I noticed. So turns out SFII can be used for good after all!

#427 6 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I don't know if anyone else here has ever seen any of the PlayerPiano YouTube channel's videos before

That's pretty awesome.

#428 6 years ago

That was cool ! and she is kinda purdy too ! ...

#429 6 years ago

Levi, nice to meet you at Pintastic. Now break yourself away from the tournament long enough to get a SF2 laugh in the Free Play room. Most pins are labeled Not For Sale or For Sale with a price. SF2 was the only pin I saw that just said "Make an offer".

#430 6 years ago

SF2 still sucks today.

#432 6 years ago

I feel like we can do better than this. This starts to feel like a kid argument: It suck, no it doesn't, it sucks, no way, and so on. Please try and give specific issues so I can refute them.

I'm going to add a thing that is really nice about SF2; it is at a nice height for my hands... I realize that is true of most games, but at 9 pages I'm running out of positive things to say.

#433 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe if there were a way for the pin2DMD to just play the animations on it's own? Then you could hange the DMD as a piece of wall art instead of tacking it on a total shitburger of a machine?

Probably you never heard of GoDMD-Clock
It can play full colored animations, custom animations, original art, videos, basically everything at 128x32 pixels resolution!

Maybe not the best example, but full color:

If you like it, contact me

#434 6 years ago

I have had 3 or 4 and would grab another one ! My gripe is that Gottliebs are so heavy or seem heavier than the rest.

#435 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I have had 3 or 4 and would grab another one ! My gripe is that Gottliebs are so heavy or seem heavier than the rest.

because they are built rock solid and made better than everyone else.

#436 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

That old Gottlieb quality can't be beat!

#437 6 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

That old Gottlieb quality can't be beat!

even the system 3's are built like a brick shithouse.

#438 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Levi, nice to meet you at Pintastic. Now break yourself away from the tournament long enough to get a SF2 laugh in the Free Play room. Most pins are labeled Not For Sale or For Sale with a price. SF2 was the only pin I saw that just said "Make an offer".

Nice to meet you too taxie!

And there was a price on it- $1600. I tried to play it but there were too many people pointing and laughing around the game and price tag, I couldn't get in there.

#439 6 years ago

wow this thread has devolved into a bunch of haterz drinking xtra strenth haterade
SF2 is one of the best games of the 90's if not all time, but i wouldn't expect the haterz to understand that

#440 6 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

wow this thread has devolved into a bunch of haterz drinking xtra strenth haterade
SF2 is one of the best games of the 90's if not all time, but i wouldn't expect the haterz to understand that

I know I like to get rid of the best

kst (resized).jpgkst (resized).jpg

It didn't even stay in your top 22.

#441 6 years ago

OK you got me there, but hey I owned it for 2 years and enjoyed it (not kidding). Even the best games have to get rotated out once in a while to make way for new stuff. And that's not to say I wouldn't own it again sometime in the future.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

Stevie Wonder approves this message.

#443 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

It didn't even stay in your top 22.

Aw Snap!

#444 6 years ago

I played a few games at Pintastic... didn't think it was too horrible. If I had a way to transport it then I probably would have bought it.

Down the road I want to try my hand at custom programming and SF2 seems like a great project machine... make it into Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Money had to go somewhere, cause it sure as hell didn't go into the coding...

or the dmd animations....

or the sound....

or the art....

or the playfield...

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

or the dmd animations....
or the sound....
or the art....
or the playfield...

What?

The animations are fine; they do lack some detail. They look amazing in color. Malenko has done all the color dmd stuff and it looks great. Makes me want to buy another one.

The call outs are great and mine had great sound. "You can't win if you walk away" classic!

The art was bad when looking at the backglass; there is a new one of those now, thanks to @malenko. The rest of the machine looked OK

The playfield looked good. Pictures of characters and stuff. Better than some modern pins.

#447 6 years ago

They lack some detail? The color ones were nearly completely replaced and re-coded, so they look a million times better, yes.

It was a game based on a video game, partnered with a god damn company that does nothing but make pixel art all day, and the "defeated" animation is a static headshot pic with a blinking X laid on top for christ sakes. They couldn't have made a phone call to Capcom and asked, hey, could you guys give us a couple 4 bit sprite animations to use? It's just lazy.

The Multiball, Extra ball and other pinball specific animations were just recycled from other Premier games.

You get an occasional spinning RYU animation of about 3 frames per second here and there...whoopie!

As far as the playfield art goes, a giant mound of cheesy mashed potatoes and some triangles is not decent. You can't rule out the original derpy Chun-li because someone else fixed it either.

There was a good reason TNT dropped one of these off the roof.

#448 6 years ago

#449 6 years ago

As far as the playfield art goes, a giant mound of cheesy mashed potatoes and some triangles is not decent. You can't rule out the original derpy Chun-li because someone else fixed it either.

Don't forget the stars everywhere. I looked at pictures of it yesterday and maybe the playfield is not that great, but worst art ever... far from it.

The color ones were nearly completely replaced and re-coded, so they look a million times better, yes.

They do look amazing. The old ones never bothered me, but I know some people had complaints.

There was a good reason TNT dropped one of these off the roof.

Because it was was an empty cabinet.

#450 6 years ago

Just let then shitpost about SF2 in here so they'll stay out of other SF2 related threads and do it here instead.

a few corrections though:

They couldn't have made a phone call to Capcom and asked, hey, could you guys give us a couple 4 bit sprite animations to use? It's just lazy.

Much like the original Nintendo Gameboy, monochrome DMD is actually 2 bit not 4bit.
2 to the 2nd power is 4.
4 bit art would be 2 to the 4th power aka 16 colors. 4 plane DMDs are capable of 16 shades but SF2 only uses 4 shades.

The Multiball, Extra ball and other pinball specific animations were just recycled from other Premier games.

Its common practice for pinball companies to re-use generic animations across games. I wouldn't really even call these animations though, they were just full screen text. I was going to replace them, but the keyframe triggers forced it to be a loop of about 8 frames and I couldn't make it work in a style I liked.

You get an occasional spinning RYU animation of about 3 frames per second here and there...whoopie!

Ryu never spins, he does have a dragon punch animation that is 2.5 seconds long that is 42 frames.
Ken doesn't spin either, he does a jump kick in the air that is 2.7 seconds long and 61 frames.

I can't deny that Dictator does look like he's standing in front of mashed potatoes though.

You can rule out Puerto-Rican Chun Li if she isn't there anymore. I have made play field decals to cover her ramp shot, the spinning bird flipper, and Guile's flash kick, I just didn't release them because I didn't want a specific seller who out sources art stealing those too. Since he gone (for now) I might release them.

My biggest issue with the play field (other than the stars instead of SF2CE grey static) is Honda's Sumo Headbutt and Dictator's Psycho-Crusher being used for a TORPEDO shot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
13,000 (Firm)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-is-terrible/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.