kst (resized).jpg
giphy(28).gif
RescueSweePea.gif
SF2 (resized).jpg
20170411_135100 (resized).jpg
1491932810690-604650826 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
TP (resized).jpg
yfzYi4jf8FrMHta7Ck2NHFp9pZhXjLDEdS-_sW1j0E1sb_y4EUgDGobH223RMf_Rvv2t=s85 (resized).jpg
mel2 (resized).jpg
mel1 (resized).jpg
SFPF (resized).jpg
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 7 years ago

It would be nice to have SOMETHING from the right flipper other than that kick out (though I guess you can set up the top). I agree with the sandwich comment.

#152 7 years ago

Yet another "I don't like it so you shouldn't either" thread, as per usual around here Silly

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Where the hell were all these people when I couldn't sell a fully working waterworld here for 900 bucks?! For literally a month I had it, begging some poor bastard to take it.
These premier dmd piles still Hoover around $1000, I don't care what anybody says. There are always exceptions (Freddy cause the theme and Stargate for some unfathomable reason) but by and large 10 benjamins should get you a premier game without much trouble.

I think the "unfathomable" reason Stargate is so good is largely because it's the least "Premier" of the Premier games.
- No random awards.
- Has an auto plunger so multiball modes don't need to stop everything while the player plunges one or two balls into a lock.
- It has a ruleset that makes doing things other than the modes worth your while, and every shot is important.
- The artwork and playfield design is beautiful. (I love the two guards and the pyramid with the backdrop in the back of the playfield, it adds a lot of depth. When I first went out to play LotR after getting my Stargate, LotR looked somewhat flat and empty in comparison.)
- It has very few ugly DMD animations (Although it also is lacking in DMD animations)
- It plays pretty fast due to the two guards and the rollover drop that can block shots into VUKs, as well as both ramps being a good challenge to hit, and the pyramid being a very tight shot that's easy to miss.
- No gaping holes in the playfield.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Yet another "I don't like it so you shouldn't either" thread, as per usual around here Silly

Just killing time between another Otaku "I don't like this well established vendor who has been helping the hobby for decades and you shouldn't either" thread.

#155 7 years ago

Sf2 isnt designed well and doesn't have a really logical ruleset. The car smash is often malfunctioning and it's hard to figure out the spinning feature. Honestly smashing the car 3 times to a crumpled mess was kind of fun when it worked but the rest of the game was a chore IMO. I agree with the review. For me, monopoly was the worst game made. I couldn't find anything fun about it. I think there's a
chance SF2 was born in a cocaine fueled executive meeting.

#156 7 years ago

SF2 could be made immensely more fun if instead of the animations playing through first, the balls shot out immediately. And if there was an auto plunger and the game could quickly put itself in to 2-ball multiballs.
It's a hole-hunting game. I think if you get past Chun-Li, have it add an extra ball to play.
Get rid of car crash mode, and turn it in to an animation that happens when you make a combo. Then we you defeat the car that way, collect a combo jackpot.

1 week later
#157 7 years ago

It's too bad we all cannot be expert reviewers after playing only one game.

#158 7 years ago

Street Fighter 2 is objectively bad.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

It's too bad we all cannot be expert reviewers after playing only one game.

It's all I could handle bro, and it lasted forever. Really it was like playing 4 games of something else.

What was with Premier and their endless ballsaves? I had a Waterworld that would give out insane ball save whether you wanted them or not (you didn't). You can't fix in the settings either.

#160 7 years ago

Seriously though, it's a bad game. It's not quite South Park bad, but almost.

The sound and art...how were they so awful? I understand awful gameplay, that happens, but SF2 already had great art and sound effects from the arcade series to draw from.

#161 7 years ago

The game is pretty lackluster in a lot of spots but the bad art, especially the dots, really drag it down. I still don't regret picking it up.

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Seriously though, it's a bad game. It's not quite South Park bad, but almost.

South Park has the humor, sound bites, and some good dots that put it way above SF2. Wouldn't have to think for even a second between choosing between those two!

#163 7 years ago

The dots are way better on south park (and it looks nice in color) but the voice clips and "humor" is really grating.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

but the voice clips and "humor" is really grating.

It's 90's South Park, it's supposed to be stupid and funny. Although the humor has evolved since then, if there's one theme that can get away with fart jokes it's this one IMO.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

It's 90's South Park, it's supposed to be stupid and funny. Although the humor has evolved since then, if there's one theme that can get away with fart jokes it's this one IMO.

There's one other......

Family Guy

#166 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

South Park has the humor, sound bites, and some good dots that put it way above SF2. Wouldn't have to think for even a second between choosing between those two!

South Park lasted a whole two weeks in my collection. Although, I only bought it for nostalgia.For some reason I managed to hold on the Street Fighter 2 for almost 3 years now.

#167 7 years ago

There's one other......
Family Guy

Although I like Family Guy, you would not believe the amount of people (who don't know each other) I've heard say "Family Guy sucks but American Dad is good" (almost like you can't just say "Family Guy sucks"), I guess people take things too seriously. Yeah it's stupid, but I find it enjoyable. At least there's both for people - American Dad is basically just like the more-serious-but-not-too-serious Family Guy.

Might do good as a pin if it's done right, probably would need pretty deep storylines/rules.

#168 7 years ago

South Park lasted a whole two weeks in my collection. Although, I only bought it for nostalgia.For some reason I managed to hold on the Street Fighter 2 for almost 3 years now.

Whatever floats your boat buddy.

Even SF2 hater haters are welcome in this thread!

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Although I like Family Guy, you would not believe the amount of people (who don't know each other) I've heard say "Family Guy sucks but American Dad is good" (almost like you can't just say "Family Guy sucks"),

Both shows have their moments and both can be terrible. But American Dad has Roger who is easily my favorite character of either show so I'll give that one the edge. I'd really just rather watch a show about him.

The Family Guy Star Wars episode was great but Empire and Jedi got progressively lamer.

#170 7 years ago

The first PAPA i ever played in had Street Fighter 2. I remember it being terrible. That's when they added all your scores and went on TV saying how many points were scored. Also terrible.

Put me on the SF2 hater list.

Be strong, be proud to be a SF2 hater.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Although I like Family Guy, you would not believe the amount of people (who don't know each other)
Might do good as a pin if it's done right, probably would need pretty deep storylines/rules.

There's a Pinball FX table of it and its OK. Has good modes at least

#172 7 years ago

I've owned a SF2 for all of 2 weeks now I can honestly say that it SUCKS but definitely has a stupid charm and uniqueness to it that will keep it in my collection for some time! I love telling people it is the worst pinball table ever made. It is a great story and worth the cheap price of the pin. Plus, mine works perfectly. I have the alternate translite that makes it look infinitely better.

#173 7 years ago

I personally don't have a problem with Street Fighter II. I wouldn't pay a lot for one, but I worked at getting one before. I like the variety Gottlieb offers. I enjoyed the arcade game, so it's nice to relive it a little through this machine. And the shots you need to make against everyone to get to the final battle are scattered, random, different and strange. It's not an A-lister, but I think it's still fun to play from time to time.

#174 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I personally don't have a problem with Street Fighter II.

Umm it's terrible...did you not read the title of the thread?

#175 7 years ago

Capcom would have made nine different versions of the same Street Fighter II playfield.

#176 7 years ago

Very funny review. Please do more of them!

And I agree 100%

SF2 is my favorite game of all time, I spent thousands of coins on the arcades to play it. It was one of the biggest licenses you could have back in the early nineties, and Gottlieb just f*ck it up.
There is only one place where a SF2 would look good and that is on a junk yard!

#177 7 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Very funny review. Please do more of them!
And I agree 100%
SF2 is my favorite game of all time, I spent thousands of coins on the arcades to play it. It was one of the biggest licenses you could have back in the early nineties, and Gottlieb just f*ck it up.
There is only one place where a SF2 would look good and that is on a junk yard!

Shouldnt you be working on jurassic park art blades instead of wasting time in threads like this??

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are truly insane. The game is horrible in each and every way.

All right, truly insane opinion coming here....

For what it is trying to do, Street Fighter II pulls it off to an extent that surprises me. But, to be fair, it isn't what people want out of a pinball machine.

Gottlieb set out to make SF2 as close to the arcade video game as possible, and they did. Now, that makes it pretty weird for a pinball machine, but if you aren't looking for that experience it's an interesting physical representation of a one on one fighting game.

First, as I think it was dung mentioned earlier, if the game isn't in tournament mode, it's completely pointless. Having random awards without progression for this makes the gameplay completely silly. If it is in tournament mode though...

The entire goal is to defeat the characters in order, and the game has a ton of weird non-pinball-esque strategy going for it. Once you "defeat" someone (by hitting their shot), that shot no longer is lit and it moves to another shot. You can try to hit certain shots later in the game because the last shot that you hit opens up a Super Jackpot, and if you leave it for the really difficult Guile shot, you'll be lucky if you can get that once. Leave it for a different shot - which means avoiding that shot the entire time until the absolute last shot - and you can hit it a few times and really bring in the reward.

The choices after defeating a character when in tournament mode always show up the same, and are actually relatively well balanced between risk and reward - there is no point where one is saying 20 mil and the other is saying 5 mil (like Jurassic Park used to do on DNA awards before Chad and I helped it along...) which I appreciate. Pick to do what you are going to do next and you need to pull it off.

The thing is, none of this is what people want in a pinball machine. If you're going for a pinball machine, you want things where you can shoot that move, exciting pop bumpers, and tough shots that if you can pull them off you get a reward for (like the Guile shot, if you shoot it before it's lit, is worth like... basically nothing, even though it's basically impossible to hit). SF2 has essentially two targets available to shoot at a time that are worth anything.

It looks like a pinball machine, but to me it's really more of a strategic, linear shooting gallery.

If you take it like that, in a big collection, SF2 becomes rather unique because there is literally no other game that plays like it. Sure, there are other linear titles, but none with the absolute rigidity of SF2. I've found that if you have about 10 games set up, and you appreciate it for what it is, SF2 is an interesting switch in the options you have - like owning an Orbitor 1, Rapid Fire or Hyperball.

So yeah, really long post sort of defending it, but if you play it with a different expectation than comparing it against a game like TAF or JP that are also from around it's time, I don't think it's completely terrible.

Except the art. The translite, particular Chun Li on it, is absolutely terrible.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I've never had the "displeasure" of playing SF2, but it can't possibly be worse than Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball. Sufferin' succotash!

You're instincts are spot on. We have a BBBB at a local amusement park which actually now has a killer Pinball-only arcade (search Canobie on Pinside). BBBB was the first game I can recall where I was pissed I matched and got a replay. Ended up passing it off to a kid who didn't have any tokens. It was just a giant turd of a game. A giant, white turd.

George Sr. Turd (resized).jpgGeorge Sr. Turd (resized).jpg

Comparing BBBB to SF2 makes SF2 look like a gem. At our local arcade, we have a row of Alpha/DMD Gottlieb's - CBW, Stargate, Rescue 911, Surf 'N Safari, and SF2 (maybe one more I'm forgetting... SMB?). It's not even close, Surf 'N Safari takes the cake for worst Gottlieb there, and SF2 is light years beyond it in fun IMO. Just thinking of comparing Surf 'N to BBBB makes my head hurt.

#180 7 years ago

BBBB is probably the worst pinball machine I've ever played. It's easy to throw hyperbolic hate on something that's just not good, but BBBB is really that terrible.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Except the art. The translite, particular Chun Li on it, is absolutely terrible.

I agree with your post, especially what I quoted here. That's why I got this.

20170217_182158 (resized).jpg20170217_182158 (resized).jpg

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Shouldnt you be working on jurassic park art blades instead of wasting time in threads like this??

hahahahahah this is becoming my favourite thread ever!!

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

For what it is trying to do, Street Fighter II pulls it off to an extent that surprises me. But, to be fair, it isn't what people want out of a pinball machine.
Gottlieb set out to make SF2 as close to the arcade video game as possible, and they did. Now, that makes it pretty weird for a pinball machine, but if you aren't looking for that experience it's an interesting physical representation of a one on one fighting game.
First, as I think it was dung mentioned earlier, if the game isn't in tournament mode, it's completely pointless. Having random awards without progression for this makes the gameplay completely silly. If it is in tournament mode though...
The entire goal is to defeat the characters in order, and the game has a ton of weird non-pinball-esque strategy going for it. Once you "defeat" someone (by hitting their shot), that shot no longer is lit and it moves to another shot. You can try to hit certain shots later in the game because the last shot that you hit opens up a Super Jackpot, and if you leave it for the really difficult Guile shot, you'll be lucky if you can get that once. Leave it for a different shot - which means avoiding that shot the entire time until the absolute last shot - and you can hit it a few times and really bring in the reward.
The choices after defeating a character when in tournament mode always show up the same, and are actually relatively well balanced between risk and reward - there is no point where one is saying 20 mil and the other is saying 5 mil (like Jurassic Park used to do on DNA awards before Chad and I helped it along...) which I appreciate. Pick to do what you are going to do next and you need to pull it off.
The thing is, none of this is what people want in a pinball machine. If you're going for a pinball machine, you want things where you can shoot that move, exciting pop bumpers, and tough shots that if you can pull them off you get a reward for (like the Guile shot, if you shoot it before it's lit, is worth like... basically nothing, even though it's basically impossible to hit). SF2 has essentially two targets available to shoot at a time that are worth anything.
It looks like a pinball machine, but to me it's really more of a strategic, linear shooting gallery.
If you take it like that, in a big collection, SF2 becomes rather unique because there is literally no other game that plays like it. Sure, there are other linear titles, but none with the absolute rigidity of SF2. I've found that if you have about 10 games set up, and you appreciate it for what it is, SF2 is an interesting switch in the options you have - like owning an Orbitor 1, Rapid Fire or Hyperball.
So yeah, really long post sort of defending it, but if you play it with a different expectation than comparing it against a game like TAF or JP that are also from around it's time, I don't think it's completely terrible.

FAIL

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Testify! I like the game, I have friends who like the game. I always kept mine in tournament mode for the free play setting. Once you enter championship mode and siren bell thingy starts... man that is exciting stuff.

I traded the game away and I miss it. I see one on CL currently that I am thinking about grabbing cheap once the current owner loses hope of ever selling it.

I say bash away, more for me!

(I think I have made similar statements in this thread before. Fun thread, keep up the good work!)

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

Testify! I like the game, I have friends who like the game.
(I think I have made similar statements in this thread before. Fun thread, keep up the good work!)

Why are you crapping on our thread?!? Purge Purge!

#186 7 years ago

Premier lovers invading my thread.

Honestly it's not cool.

But, I've learned if you truly love a thread, you must set it free.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

BBBB is probably the worst pinball machine I've ever played. It's easy to throw hyperbolic hate on something that's just not good, but BBBB is really that terrible.

I love Looney Tunes so much and every time I see the pin I play it hoping for a different experience but it never changes. That thing is so bad. I would be more embarrassed to own one than my VA.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Why are you crapping on our thread?!? Purge Purge!

What? I'm encouraging this.

Another Street Fighter II just came up for sale on my local CL. I'm seriously considering another one. I just need to get rid of something less awesome...

Of course, if I have to sell a Street Fighter II I fully expect this thread to quiet down.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Dude, where did you get this? This is the one Alt translite I'm on board with and I own a Raven and a Genesis.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

That alt translite is badass!! Almost Makes me want to get a SF2...until I read this entire thread

#191 7 years ago

If this thread can stop just one innocent person from making the life-altering mistake of buying a SF2...well it'll be a failure. I was hoping to stop lots of people.

#192 7 years ago

Didn't stop me...........Joey

IMG_3624 (resized).JPGIMG_3624 (resized).JPG

IMG_3629 (resized).JPGIMG_3629 (resized).JPG

#193 7 years ago

Having that SF2 in the home is tantamount to child abuse!

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

Dude, where did you get this? This is the one Alt translite I'm on board with and I own a Raven and a Genesis.

Quoted from dsmoke1986:

That alt translite is badass!! Almost Makes me want to get a SF2...until I read this entire thread

Pinside's own stpcore made it for me.

Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Didn't stop me...........Joey

You got the translite too!

#195 7 years ago

OK, both Street Fighter II pins near me on CL sold. They were asking like $1400 and $1500 in each ad and they sold pretty quickly.

I feel this topic is failing me. I want to get one of these, but for under $1000. Let us continue to talk crap please!

I mean if a Street Fighter II is bringing in that kind of cash what is my Raven worth?

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from zimjoe:

OK, both Street Fighter II pins near me on CL sold. They were asking like $1400 and $1500 in each ad and they sold pretty quickly.
I feel this topic is failing me. I want to get one of these, but for under $1000. Let us continue to talk crap please!
I mean if a Street Fighter II is bringing in that kind of cash what is my Raven worth?

doesn't mean that's what they were sold for. I've had games on CL for sale and actually sold for half of what I listed.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

doesn't mean that's what they were sold for. I've had games on CL for sale and actually sold for half of what I listed.

I completely agree, but they sold pretty quickly. I usually camp an item for a week or three while the grim reality of never selling settles in on them. Then I swoop in with my money and save them. Bought my Victory for $500 using this technique.

Of course, I tried this technique waiting for a Tag-Team Pinball I wanted. Some guy wanted crazy money for it, and I waited a long time. One day it just disappeared. I assume the guy died on it... probably sobbing. I could have saved his life had I acted quicker

#198 7 years ago

I recently bought my SF2 for $1350 in Good condition.

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I recently bought my SF2 for $1350 in Good condition.

i'm sorry for your loss.....of your cash.

#200 7 years ago

Raven is often the butt of jokes, but it's actually a decent game. It's much better than Street Fighter 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 119.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 36.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-is-terrible/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.