kst (resized).jpg
giphy(28).gif
RescueSweePea.gif
SF2 (resized).jpg
20170411_135100 (resized).jpg
1491932810690-604650826 (resized).jpg
images (resized).jpg
TP (resized).jpg
yfzYi4jf8FrMHta7Ck2NHFp9pZhXjLDEdS-_sW1j0E1sb_y4EUgDGobH223RMf_Rvv2t=s85 (resized).jpg
mel2 (resized).jpg
mel1 (resized).jpg
SFPF (resized).jpg

There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 7 years ago

For years I've had to bite my tongue whilst people in denial type things like "It's way underrated!" or "It's not that bad!" or "It's a great deal!" Cause you know, even though it was obviously a monstrosity, I'd never actually had any experience with one. And I choose to be an informed critic with exacting standards!!!

Last night I finally played one, at a barcade that for some reason decided to bring one in.

Sorry folks, this is one of the worst games ever made.

So stop trying to say it isn't. It's got several of the stupidest features I've ever seen on a pinball machine. The car crash thingee is an embarrassment to lower playfields. The huge ugly upper playfield with a spinning flipper with a guy doing the splits on top of it is a huge embarrassment to upper playfields. It has a third flipper for no particular reason. And it's got those wonderful gigantic Gottlieb gobble holes everywhere. Throw in the trademark horrific Gottlieb flippers, "feel," mechanics, and some of the worst dot matrix animations in the history of anything (and I'm counting Times Square billboards in the 1960s) and you've got a real winner.

The game is also horrifically ugly (no thanks to its truly atrocious theme), though by the time they got around to the artwork I'm sure they were literally making fun of themselves. Unfortunately (I guess?) I couldn't hear the sound, but I can only imagine what a treat for the ears that must be.

So look, I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but it's your own damn fault for trying to convince yourself and others that this game is anything more than the complete turd we all know it is. Stop it. STOP IT!

And by god, stop trying to sell these things for over $900.

#2 7 years ago

Thank god you didn't hear the sound. It's awful, and I'm pretty sure it's not even the original game sounds.

SPHUEEENNING BURD KEEECK!

#3 7 years ago

Very entertaining review. What is next on your list of potential trash topics?

#4 7 years ago

It's bad but there's worse. I'll take sf over space jam any day.

#5 7 years ago

I'll buy 1 for $900

#6 7 years ago

The pinball may be bad but the arcade game is a timeless classic. I own two of them.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I don't know...Space Jam? Never played that one either.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

It's bad but there's worse. I'll take sf over space jam any day.

#8 7 years ago

The Top-364 says Stern Lightning is not as good as SF2. This is horrifying. We know the truth.

Mof

#9 7 years ago

I guess I should make a "Ghostbusters is Terrible" thread too.

#10 7 years ago

Leaving a review of your rating of SFII would be of great help so other pinheads can avoid the trauma you have just had while playing SFII .Evan worse the dollar you have pissed away and the 5 or 10 minutes of your life that you can never get back.

#11 7 years ago

It's more than likely that some people were rating the video game, on a pinball forum. Thus the rating higher than lightning.

Mof

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Leaving a review of your rating of SFII would be of great help so other pinheads can avoid the trauma you have just had while playing SFII .Evan worse the dollar you have pissed away and the 5 or 10 minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Did I mention those ridiculous trademarked premier "endless ball saves?" SHOOT AGAIN

so more like 15 minutes. I'm still trying to recover from the emotional trauma. Fortunately there was a Funhouse in disrepair right next to it that was much more fun.

#13 7 years ago

I'm a fan! *Flame suit on* The stop and go doesn't bother me and I'm a huge SF2 arcade player.

#14 7 years ago

It's not stop n go.
It's 'make a sandwich n go.' (TM) - pinballholder
Mof

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

It's 'make a sandwich n go.' (TM)

I appreciated you (TM)ing my quote mof, but you should at least credit it to me

#16 7 years ago

SF2 isn't that bad. Actually, it's way underrated. One of the best deals in pinball.

#17 7 years ago

I have GOT to play this famous (IN-famooos) pin. So bad it's good?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have GOT to play this famous (IN-famooos) pin. So bad it's good?

No. It's kind of like Battlefield Earth.

So bad it's bad.

I've owned/played many of Gottlieb's 90s House of Horrors - Rescue 9/11, Waterworld, Freddy, Teed Off, Wipeout - and found redeeming qualities for all of them.

I've played Barbed Wire. And Street Fighter 2 is no Barbed Wire.

#19 7 years ago

CrazyLevi, What do you think about Shaq Attack?

#20 7 years ago

Mario Andretti anyone?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Never played it. Or Big Hurt. I can't imagine these are winners.

Quoted from westofrome:

Mario Andretti anyone?

God yes. Absolutely horrible.

#22 7 years ago

Big Hurt is actually one of the best Sys3s. FWIW.
-Kyros

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Kyrosfear:

Big Hurt is actually one of the best Sys3s. FWIW.
-Kyros

Did you know that when premier went tits up, frank Thomas was listed as a creditor? I guess he didn't get paid.

#25 7 years ago

Playing any Premier makes me feel like I'm having a brain aneurysm.

#26 7 years ago

was a parts donor machine for many years and hated by pinball fans when new due to its theme and playability. However as the 90s now become cool and the price of the video game has gone skywards the pin has followed. maybe its a game "not for us" but for video game fans . same could be said of SMB but definitely NOT Defender pin!

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Did you know that when premier went tits up, frank Thomas was listed as a creditor? I guess he didn't get paid.

I did hear about that awhile back.
His promo video for it is great. I remember seeing it on "The History of Pinball".
-Kyros

#28 7 years ago

If you all don't want your system 3's, I'll take em. I'm not the biggest fan of Street Fighter but I love all Premier pins. Gottlieb rules.

#29 7 years ago

I mean, I know it's a Gottlieb, but I've played it and I thought it was alright. I think the theme is pretty decent as well. Who doesn't like Street Fighter II on the SNES or Genesis?! The arcade game is good too, but I think more people have probably played it on a home console.

Maybe I'm just a cheap date, but to me, the game makes me smile, and I love Street Fighter II, and I think Gottlieb did a decent job on the artwork and music despite their relative lack of development resources they had.

But, to each his own, I suppose.

#30 7 years ago

I love every pinball machine and I've never played one I didn't like. You have to admit, it's interesting to see a pin in commission that isn't a late 90's Bally/Williams pin. I see so many of those, even some of the earlier pins like sttng, Twilight Zone, etc. I see those pins everywhere. Great games! But super common

#31 7 years ago

I thought this game was fun as hell!

IMG_0062 (resized).JPGIMG_0062 (resized).JPG

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sorry folks, this is one of the worst games ever made.

No shit.

Quoted from Pinball-DOOD:

I love every pinball machine and I've never played one I didn't like.

Have you only played like 12 of them?

Quoted from PiperPinball:

Shaq Attack is BAD...but it has a great backglass and least the basket shot. Much better than SF2, and much worse than almost any other game made.

Quoted from mbaumle:

Who doesn't like Street Fighter II on the SNES or Genesis?! The arcade game is good too, but I think more people have probably played it on a home console.

That's the sad part. Comparing SF2 on a console to playing in an arcade with stick & 6 buttons is like trying to compare a 90s got to a real pinball machine.

Quoted from alveolus:

I know Capt Neo is hoping X-files

Quoted from Mudflaps:

One of the best deals in pinball.

Uff this is such a dangerous way of thinking. This is what makes people come up with rants aboot how RCT would be an LE model if it were made today.

#33 7 years ago

The 90s Gottlieb games actually had a ton of stuff.

I mean, look at games like RCT. That would be an LE if it were made today.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The 90s Gottlieb games actually had a ton of stuff.
I mean, look at games like RCT. That would be an LE if it were made today.

Waterworld has mad toys yo!

#35 7 years ago

I think a new SF themed table would be awesome. Taking from the MvC universe or even the recent SFV universe, or going off of the Alpha world or anime, they have a ton of material to work with. I think it has the potential to be badass.

In general, I don't care for Gottlieb tables either but you can't go wrong with anything that has Guile's theme song.

#36 7 years ago

If only it had come out later and been a true Capcom.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No shit.

Have you only played like 12 of them?

Shaq Attack is BAD...but it has a great backglass and least the basket shot. Much better than SF2, and much worse than almost any other game made.

That's the sad part. Comparing SF2 on a console to playing in an arcade with stick & 6 buttons is like trying to compare a 90s got to a real pinball machine.

I know Capt Neo is hoping X-files

Uff this is such a dangerous way of thinking. This is what makes people come up with rants aboot how RCT would be an LE model if it were made today.

Of course not. I'm just sick of everyone bitching about not liking pins. If it's not a Williams/Bally or Stern, then it sucks apparently to a lot of people in the pinball world. That's just a really boring mentality to me to be so biased when playing pinball.

#38 7 years ago

Of course not. I'm just sick of everyone bitching about not liking pin. If it's not a Williams/Bally or Stern, then it sucks apparently to a lot of people in the pinball world.

Well it's because their games were far and away better than 90s gotts & DE/Sega...I mean not even close. And Premieres were just laughable.
So many people now have a hard time imagining what it was like to go to an arcade, and there was a brand new SF2 next to a brand new TZ. You wouldn't even put your Qs in the SF2...and mainly it wouldn't even be there it was so terrible.

Plenty of B/W I hate and think are awfull machines...just the ratio to bad to good is waaaay diff'rent.

#39 7 years ago

Of course not. I'm just sick of everyone bitching about not liking pin. If it's not a Williams/Bally or Stern, then it sucks apparently to a lot of people in the pinball world.

That's part of the reason I like oddball games. They are sometimes hidden gems that other people overlook, and you can usually get them pretty cheap

The only downside is that when it comes time to sell it, it's sometimes hard to find a buyer for a game nobody has heard of

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's part of the reason I like oddball games. They are sometimes hidden gems that other people overlook, and you can usually get them pretty cheap
The only downside is that when it comes time to sell it, it's sometimes hard to find a buyer for a game nobody has heard of

I agree! I love the odd titles!

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well it's because their games were far and away better than 90s gotts & DE/Sega...I mean not even close. And Premieres were just laughable.
So many people now have a hard time imagining what it was like to go to an arcade, and there was a brand new SF2 next to a brand new TZ. You wouldn't even put your Qs in the SF2...and mainly it wouldn't even be there it was so terrible.
Plenty of B/W I hate and think are awfull machines...just the ratio to bad to good is waaaay diff'rent.

I see what you mean! Of course Twilight Zone is amazing. If I walked into an arcade and saw a Twilight Zone or a Diamond Lady for example, I'd probably play the Diamond Lady because it's strange as hell and I've never seen one before. It looks like a super fun pin with a funny 80's concept. I've just seen COUNTLESS posts about TZ over and over. Everywhere I look at arcades there's Twilight Zones, so I get the opportunity to play them a TON. I like to see different pins every once in a while. Like Gottliebs!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Hey, more for us right?

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I disagree. I mean, sure, your comparison is correct if you're playing Street Fighter II with a 3 button Genesis controller; HOWEVER the SNES version has 6 inputs, as does the 6 button Genesis controller. I think it ported over to the consoles incredibly well (especially the SNES version), and to some degree, a console controller allows for greater precision over an arcade stick--but that's just me. I've personally never cared for the unwieldy arcade joysticks.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I've personally never cared for the unwieldy arcade joysticks.

Wow. Fair enough.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Waterworld has mad toys yo!

The Deez is actually a cool toy. The rules around it ain't so hot but the loading of balls and eventual dumping is pretty neat.

Of all the Sys3 games, Waterworld is one of the more playable ones.

#46 7 years ago

That settles it. I've got to play SF2 now.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So many people now have a hard time imagining what it was like to go to an arcade, and there was a brand new SF2 next to a brand new TZ.

For me it was an Addams Family next to a CFTBL next to a Jurrasic Park next to a Class of 1812.

Two of the games got quarters and two didn't. THough all these years later I'm willing to concede JP ain't that bad.

#48 7 years ago

I miss my SF2...

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For me it was an Addams Family next to a CFTBL next to a Jurrasic Park next to a Class of 1812.
Two of the games got quarters and two didn't. THough all these years later I'm willing to concede JP ain't that bad.

In '93 I'd have done the same thing without even blinking. Today, I'd play the 1812 a few times before moving on to the others. If there's one thing these crappy Gottlieb games have going for them, it's rarity! I mean, people are paying T3 prices for a TX sector, and that game ain't no better now than it was in 1992 (and it wasn't so hot then either)

Gott sys3 (and 80bs and thereabouts) are perfect games to play at PAPA HQ or in someone ELSE's collection. You get to enjoy the game and get your Premier fix, but you don't actually have to live with the damn things.

#50 7 years ago

Here's a question for everyone - if the game got a software re-write from scratch, could it be a decent game?

As in, is the playfield itself redeemable in any way?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
There are 492 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-is-terrible and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.