6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Globalcop
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

First of all, thank you to all of the pinball streamers out there creating content and sharing your work with the pinball community. It goes without saying that much of your content has opened up the world of pinball to casuals, collectors, and players as a form of entertainment, and objective view on a machine that we couldn't otherwise see or experience.

With that said, I understand that the direct overhead view has become the standard viewing angle when streaming pinball. Bowen with his PAPA tutorials has a "flipper" viewpoint, but I find that hard to see. I've been hoping that a "Player's Perspective" could be explored, instead of just the overhead. This became apparent with the recent streaming of IMDN and ACNC, where a lot of the "3-dimensional" view is lost. We weren't able to see and appreciate the upper playfield for ACNC, and completely missed out on the bullseye target in the back of IMDN. The overhead view removes the layers in a pinball machine.

I think the player's perspective would give us the most realistic view of the game. The overhead viewpoint just doesn't happen in real-life, and the flipper view is only feasible if you are very short (4' tall?). I also understand that during a tournament setting, that the overhead system keeps the equipment out of the way from the players. This might be more feasible for casual streaming, as done by Dead Flip, Owlnonymous, IE Pinball, Buffalo Pinball, etc.

Anyways, hoping that this could be explored and possibly become the new "standard" in streaming pinball.

1 year later
    #2 5 years ago

Necro bumping this thread, since pinball streaming and top-down views were recently discussed by one of the podcasts (Special When Lit?) and about how the top-down view was 2-dimensional and flat. There obviously wasn't any traction when this thread was started a year ago, but with pinball streaming now becoming more popular with game releases, entertainment, and what-not, maybe an "over-the shoulder" view might be explored to display the game in a more 3-dimensional field.

What SDTM did with Wonka was great, being able to give viewers a better perception of physical depth and height to a game. Being able to see actual gameplay with a player's POV would fill in the missing depth and height that a topdown view can't give.

9 months later
    #3 4 years ago

Yeah. Bump.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/streaming-camera-angles?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.