(Topic ID: 334289)

Stratoflite flipper problems

By Gorebash

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Flipper coil closeup sm (resized).jpg
    20230331_172435 (resized).jpg
    20230331_172444 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hi all I'm getting to my wits end with the flippers on my Stratoflite, I have rebuilt everything on them, flipper kit, coils, bushings, cabinet switches, eos switches, if I gap the eos switches at the recommended 1/8 gap and if I do that they want to machine gun, when I adjust them wider they stop machine gunning but when you try to catch a ball they do the bounce thing, I was told these coils would work even though they are DC coils and this machine has AC to the coils, I talked to Mike at Pinball Medics and he confirmed they should work, I have tried changing the springs to old worn ones with no change, double checked the bushing gap and made sure everything is free with no binding, I have checked the coil stops and they are making full contact with the plunger. The coils are very noisy when trying to hold the flipper up, the problem is also consistent with both sides. By the parts book the oe coils are FL 20-300/28-400. Any thoughts as to what try next. Thanks Gerald

20230331_172435 (resized).jpg20230331_172435 (resized).jpg20230331_172444 (resized).jpg20230331_172444 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Are there diodes on the new flipper coils? There shouldn't be.
    Is the EOS switch connected to the correct solder lugs? One lug will have a thicker copper wire, one will have a thinner copper wire and one will have both. Something like this:
    Flipper coil closeup sm (resized).jpgFlipper coil closeup sm (resized).jpg
    The EOS switch should be between the two lugs with the thin copper wire.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago

The hold section of your new coils is too weak for your application. What was wrong with your original coils?

#4 1 year ago

Have you tried hi tapping the solenoid voltage wire?

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback, the eos is hooked up between the lugs with the fine wire, the original coils had the sleeves melted badly enough I couldn't get them out, I believe these were a substitution for the originals, I haven't tried hi- tapping yet, going to try to get the proper replacements for it and see if they work any better. Thanks Gerald

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Studentprince:

The hold section of your new coils is too weak for your application. What was wrong with your original coils?

What Studentprince said.

The original flipper coils had a hold coil of 28-400, which should have a resistance of approximately 9 ohms.

I can't see much of the printing on the replacement coil, but it looks to my eye to be a 30-800? hold coil, which would have a resistance of about 24-25 ohms.
    You are getting far less current through the hold circuit which is likely causing the pogo effect where the ball pushes the flipper back down a bit until the EOS switch closes back up and puts the coil in hi power mode again.

#7 1 year ago

It appears that the PBR website shows they have replacement for the Williams OEM spec coil:

WLL-FL20-300 (PBR part #) Coil FL20-300/28-400 $15.00ea

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stratoflite-flipper-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.