Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B.c.u.d..JPG
S.u. desc..JPG
Manual P.u. disc.JPG
P.u. -S.u..JPG
Wms Strato.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hello all, I have two problems, 1) My Williams Strato Flite just recently started to do this: If I play one player only, all works fine. Game goes through 5 balls then game over. If I enter 2 players, 2 player light lights up, I play player 1, then player 2. After player 2, the game then lights up "Player 3 Up" then proceeds the let player 3 play, then it move on to player 4 up. After Player 4 take turn, ball count stays on 1 ball, and player 4 just keeps getting new balls. It never advances to 2nd ball. The step units appear to be all working fine. It does the same if I credit 3 or 4 players also.
Any help appreciated.

Problem 2, I have a hair trigger switch somewhere in the machine that every now and then activates the triple bonus light and the extra ball lane light. This will occur sometimes just from the ball eject launcher vibration or when the ball gets cooking around the play field causing a lot of vibration. I am having a hard time narrowing it down to the switch that is causing this. Thanks to all who could help.

#2 9 years ago

Problem 1 sounds like the problem my Bally wizard had which turned out to be the coin unit. So whatever controls the number of players on a Williams. One of more of the fingers were not making contact in player 1, but 2-4 player worked normally. Yours sounds like the reverse.

#3 9 years ago

Well, it could be a few things. I had a similar issue with mine. It was the score motor in my case (may not be the same in yours). I found a set of leaf switches on the 2 impulse cams were broke and out of adjustment.

Your problem looks a bit different though as mine just kept going on the correct number of players but never talking to the ball count unit. Maybe start by observing and possibly taking video of the 3 steppers, the two on the bottom board which I believe are the coin and ball count units as well as the player unit in the back box. If we start there while you start a game and cycle through, perhaps we can see what is going on and it will lead us down the path to diagnosis through the schematic.

Good luck!

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

I have a hair trigger switch somewhere in the machine that every now and then activates the triple bonus light and the extra ball lane light.

Check the m&b for fault.

Wms Strato.JPGWms Strato.JPG
#5 9 years ago

Problem 2 solved, thanks Pin-It. The Triple Bonus relay itself was tripping from the vibrations. Still working on problem 1 if anyone has any other suggestions.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

After Player 4 take turn, ball count stays on 1 ball, and player 4 just keeps getting new balls. It never advances to 2nd ball. The step units appear to be all working fine. It does the same if I credit 3 or 4 players also.

Ever check the player unit?
Here are some snips of the schematic and from the manual showing the score motor switches for both step up of the ball count unit & player unit step up.
P.u. -S.u..JPGP.u. -S.u..JPG
Manual P.u. disc.JPGManual P.u. disc.JPG

The player unit is located in the backbox and has essentially four positions.
The coin unit determines/controls the amount of players by each advance of its step up coin coil which effects the player unit.
The manual for the player unit disc shows the wiper @ reset in the Player one position and when additional players are added via the coin unit it that will effect the player unit which will advance to the next player only after the ball for that player has played.
S.u. desc..JPGS.u. desc..JPG
B.c.u.d..JPGB.c.u.d..JPG

*Note the player unit disc only moves 3 steps forward max. with only 4 positions possible remember.
For example: when you have a 4 player game set each player drains the ball after the index locks then the player unit bumps up one step till the 4th pl. drains after which the Player unit resets back to the player one position w/2nd ball ready to play.

Sounds to me like you have an issue with the player unit disc,as it should return to the first player position no matter how many players are selected ,a clean and lube of the rivet contacts/pivot points and possibly an increase in that torsion spring to return it fully,but you only increase tension if a C&L fails to correct it as the manual suggests.

To speed up diagnostics set up a 4 player game then you should be able to manually advance it to the 4th player and upon draining the ball [after the index locks in] watch the reset coil activate and return to the player one.
Good Luck.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Problem 2 solved, thanks Pin-It. The Triple Bonus relay itself was tripping from the vibrations. Still working on problem 1 if anyone has any other suggestions

I am encountering exactly the same problem with the Triple Bonus relay tripping. Most often after a reset. Was just about to dig into it when I came across this thread.
Can you let me know exactly what it was? Weak latch? Thanks.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Chum43:

I am encountering exactly the same problem with the Triple Bonus relay tripping. Most often after a reset. Was just about to dig into it when I came across this thread.
Can you let me know exactly what it was? Weak latch? Thanks.

Latches, springs and mech were all mostly working properly. I suggest you remove the PF to do this, it will make it a lot easier. I had two issues here, first, this machine was a barn find that I had to do a full restoration on. (I do not know the proper terms for these parts, so I will do my best to describe) What I missed during clean-up of the machine is, at one time, someone put grease on all of the white plastic nipples that are located at the end of the relay latch. This in part was causing the relay to trip with the lightest vibration. I cleaned all of the grease off with 91% alcohol and Q-tips. I also cleaned the grease off of the brass trip latch where the nipple rest on before being activated. In your case, these spots just may be dirty and greasy from time. This fixed the problem 80%.
The second thing I noticed is that the reset bar was not always fully resetting the relay latch. I put a piece of mylar, about 1"x3/4", on top of the brass latch were the reset bar hits the brass latch. Just that little added thickness of the mylar solved the problem.
Played the machine for 3 hours last night, worked perfectly.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks! I'll dig into it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strato-flite-strange-creditplay-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.