• 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Otaku
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_1275_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Pickup thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-em-6-today-at-17-years-old

I fixed stuck switches on my own to resolve an issue with the 100's and 10's sticking (which stopped all scoring from the start of a game), so that is all fixed. This one seems a bit deeper than that.

The game now will score correctly until it hits the first 1,000 points, whether that be by hitting a switch which gives 1,000, collecting bonus (I believe), OR even through natural progression like hitting an 100 point target 10 times. It WILL score the first 1,000 correctly. Once the score goes > 1,000, all scoring stops. Chimes ring once more for each digit when hit and then no longer chime again after 1 time.

After 1,000+ (if you had something like 800 points then hit the 1,000 switch to score 1,800, etc., results would be the same):
- All digits stop scoring
- 1,000 relay in backbox locks on
- 1,000 chime locks on
- Score reel doesn't seem to lock on (since it already scored that?)
- If manually pushed, or scored legitimately, all other digit relays will lock on after that point except the 10's which seems to unlock all after pushed several times to where it rolls over the 100's digit
- Match unit coil locks on (Temporarily disconnected by person I bought it from due to stuck 100 switch which was resolved, but when easily connected)

This carries over into every ball and every player without pause once it has started, with the only way to stop it is by power cycling the game or I presume by finishing the game, haven't tried that but I would imagine. When playing a game bigger than 1 player if you get to this state and get each relay to lock on by scoring a point in that digit, each following player will start with 01,110 points as a result due to the relays locking on. The reels don't stick on for whatever reason during this problem, they just score once and not again. Last digit is the fake reel digit and the biggest digit seems to be coil controlled only so it has no relay(?) which explains that.

Thanks!

The official 1,000 point manual reference/schematic for this game is attached below.

---------------------------------

Other issue:

Also, sometimes the game will cycle the ball count unit too many times, skipping chances to play a ball, similar to if you hold down the trough switch. (Is this normal behavior?) Ball seems to come out fine. This is random and can do anything from eliminate all balls after the first or work completely fine the whole game. It will cycle through each ball correctly (you can watch the ball count go up by 1 each time) which is good but it cycles too many times sometimes.

Most EM's I've experienced and owned have a second switch somewhere along the trough that counts that the ball got through okay. For instance, I have a Gottlieb pin that has trouble shooting out the ball and sometimes takes several tries (to be repaired) to do that but the count will not advance until it's ready to be played correctly, sometimes 3-5 tries of shooting it out into the lane later but it still waits to advance the ball count. Perhaps on my Strato-Flite this switch is stuck closed if it has one? I'll check later. You can manually trigger only that one switch and it will advance the ball count, not sure if Williams games have this second switch or not.

Screenshot_1275_(resized).pngScreenshot_1275_(resized).png

2 weeks later
#2 8 years ago

- Unplugged playfield, an issue in the head or in bottom of the cabinet and not the playfield
- Manually moving any of the 4 1,000 pt. reels will unstick 1,000 pt. relay via EOS switch
- Cleaning 100 pt. and 1,000 pt. relay switches that I could reach easily with sandpaper
- EOS switches on 2 sets seemed to be fine, didn't check the rest, would imagine the coil would stick if they were bad? My coils don't stick, they just will score to 1,000, and then all scoring dies. Will then stick the relay for another 1,000 for 2,000 but no life on any digits after 1000+. Next point scored in 100's or 10's will cause those relays to stick on too.
- As stated, doesn't matter which player it's on, 1-4 behave the same. EOS switches in series I read?

After replugging in playfield, no scoring at all now. Lights up fine. Those jones plugs stuck hard (probably never unplugged, HUO), so I'm going to clean them off next time I get inside of that thing again and see if that helps. Probably will.

1 month later
#4 8 years ago

Checked that new issue with lesser points with the playfield unplugged and I must have messed up something in the head, as now 100 points (and 10 I believe) locks on too once it is activated, essentially leaving all scores locked on 00,000. Grrrr. Will they do that if the EOS switches are misadjusted or something? Are they what tell the relays to shut off rather than a switch on the relay itself? I know in the Gottliebs EOS switches on the score reels are pretty useless I've read but on Williams I've heard it waits for the switch?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

So, when you say "locks on" you mean the score reel coils are constantly energized? Try to isolate one issue. Take the 100 point score reel on the 1st player. What switches send power to that score reel coil? Check the following:
100 point relay - switch with white/orange wire and red/green wire
Reset relay - switch with yellow wire and orange/black wire
100 point score reel zero position switch - switch with orange/black wire and grey/green wire
Tilt relay - switch with yellow wire and white/orange wire
Also check all 100 point playfield switches...

Not the coils/reels themselves, just the relays stick/do nothing. With the 1,000 point BEFORE I'd get 1,000 then the relay would lock on (but not the coil), whether it be on an 1,000+ point switch or rolling over hundreds to thousands. I think that one might be an EOS issue, not sure. Now I've lost all scoring action while troubleshooting this. Completely dead scoring, each relay locks on when triggered. That particular issue was my own doing and I removed some reels to check the EOS switches and tried to clean up the relays a little, so I'm guessing to get back to where I was I would have to figure out what is wrong there. Also does this with the playfield fully unplugged so it's nothing there and I had already gone through that in the beginning anyhow.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

#8 8 years ago

All fixed. Seems it was a combination of what I fixed previously hindered by the jones plugs which were loose and also needed to be reseated. Game works 100% now.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strato-flite-final-troubleshooting-help-needed-please?tu=Otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.