Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your strategy to resolve space limitations?”

• Don’t buy more pins than available space allows / sell one prior to buying another 22 votes
      49%
    • Rotate pins on route and sell when they quit earning 3 votes
      7%
    • Overflow pins set up at relatives / friends or workplace 6 votes
      13%
    • Overflow folded and stored at home in area without conditioned air 6 votes
      13%
    • Overflow folded and stored at home in area with conditioned air 5 votes
      11%
    • Pay for storage unit with conditioned air 3 votes
      7%

(45 votes)

#1 11 years ago

At least one of three things can get in the way of building your ultimate pinball collection - money, space or time. This poll focuses on how you handle not having enough real estate. Please vote for your top strategy.

#2 11 years ago

Got one at my Brother's house...and he's got room for more

#3 11 years ago

I'm of the "don't buy more than you can house" philosophy. Granted there is some degree of creativity with how many you can house, but you need to be able to say when.

I originally had room for 2 pins. Now I have 6. But I also know that's it for me. If I want another one I have to sell one. Otherwise I think you border on "hoarding"

#4 11 years ago

Don't buy more than you can set up and use (or someone can set up and use).

If it's folded up in storage......sell it.

#5 11 years ago

Space gets in every ones way. But if its in storage it not much fun, nor is it really a collection, as much as stuff you cant use. I am for having a about 10% more than you can hold. One always needs work, or shopped so I rotate one in while the other is in my work shop getting some love. You have 34 and if you can hold 30 thats good. Beyond that I ask myself (and my family) what haven't we been playing lately (Can't keepem all, I say) Though its difficult to let go, I just let Cactus Canyon and LOTR go. Got a no good gophers, and an AC/DC on the way.

Good luck with you dilemma! I have them set up all over the damn place. Office, basement, spare bedroom, even had one in the living room till my wife canned it.

#6 11 years ago

I have almost half in workshop storage because of lack of room. The running machines are tucked where space (and wife) allows. Most in workshop storage are projects...but they will eventually be running. So I'm looking to convert the existing garage into a gameroom and build a new garage to handle the existing collection and allow growing it further.

#7 11 years ago

Where is your vote? I know many people with storage units so they haven't weighed in yet.

#8 11 years ago

Buy a Tardis and set your game room up in it.

#9 11 years ago

^^^^ Good idea. That should have been a choice.

#10 11 years ago

I've done the storage unit before, thinking of doing it again. I don't really want to sell my pins at this point, since I have this vague notion of opening a barcade when I retire. Have you worked out the cost per pin for climate-controlled storage? My guess is around 100/pin/year in Metro Atlanta. That's not bad at all.

#11 11 years ago

Machines in storage seems like a big waste. I think fill the space you can with the pins you want the most. If I have money burning a hole in my pocket but have room, I'd just invest it into fixing up the current batch.

#12 11 years ago

I was in this scenario recently, but I suggest that you move your pins around inside the property. It will make a world of a difference.

#13 11 years ago

I just found a 10'x10' climate-controlled unit for $40/month, 4 miles from my house. That should be enough for 16 pins, so cost is [(12x40)/16] = $30 per pin, per year.

#14 11 years ago

Wish I had the will power to cap my games to available space. I hestitate to sell many though because it is time consuming to get your pins dialed in the way you like them. I like your price per pin analogy and it probably makes economic sense to store them if you have a lot of A and B titles. The rise in pricing has offset these operating costs.

There is a double whammy though if the entire market drops significantly. Besides the initial loss in value, ongoing storage costs might not be recoverable and trying to sell in a dead market is challenging. But I digress, pinball machines are not investments, right?

#15 11 years ago

Haha Jeff, that's silly. Pinball prices, like house prices, can only go up!

#16 11 years ago

The other nice thing about the storage unit approach is that you don't have to debate what "available space" means with your spouse.

BTW, if you're really hardcore you can take the heads off your pins and slide them underneath the pins in your gameroom (sideways).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strategy-to-resolve-space-limitations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.