(Topic ID: 160222)

Strategy on repair of heavily lifted BG art.

By Langless28

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4534_(resized).JPG
IMG_4533_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Langless28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I wanted to brush my idea through this wonderful wealth of knowledge. This is the BG for my recently acquired HS. As you can see the lower 1/3 of the art has lifted completely but its mostly in tact. I have read of the triple thick and cellophane trick but that does not scream "good" results to me. Here is my idea, and the 1 part I am unsure about is the best adhesive to use.

1. flood glass/art in some sort of optically clear adhesive- triple thick, cyanoacrylate*, other*
2. Place non stick sheet on top of art- I am actually using a Teflon sheet.
3. Place flat backing board on top of that-1/2 MDF
4. Place whole assembly into to "space saver" vacuum bag and add excess adhesive rags along perimeter.
5. Suck air out of bag.
6. Enjoy beer and relish at the results- TBD.

My theory is you will get nice even pressure with a vacuum bag, it SHOULD suck all air bubbles out of it as well. A typical shop vac can actually achieve a pretty deep vacuum.

The issues I foresee:
It would be best to remove the lift off lip as well as the rest of the edge material, i am afraid this is the only thing hold that art in place ATM. Also, the best way to get the adhesive onto the glass without disturbing the artwork. Lastly the best glue to use. I am thinking the triple thick but am not sure on its viscosity, also getting into a pourable state will be annoying since it comes in spray can version only. Cyano might work but might cause off gassing white burns all over the place.* Also cyano is moisture curing glue so it probably will not cure in a vacuum environment.

IMG_4533_(resized).JPGIMG_4533_(resized).JPG

IMG_4534_(resized).JPGIMG_4534_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#3 7 years ago

Tried this test this weekend. I did not have anything close to the "printed sections" that I am trying to put back on so I substituted with a piece of Doritos bag and a Piece of plate glass. Used polycrylic and this failed miserably. Good thing it wasn't on the real thing. My observations:

1. Shop vac couldn't get all air bubbles out or the setup somehow blocked the air passageways. I did use absorbent material around edges and towels to prevent the port from getting locked on.
2. Poly did not dry in sealed airless bag. I gave up after 30 hours.

I will continue researching what the best way to fix this.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Langless28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strategy-on-repair-of-heavily-lifted-bg-art?tu=Langless28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.