3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pascal-pinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys...I've been really improving my shot accuracy over the past few weeks. Learning how to pass, combo, cradle, etc. But what I can't seem to figure out is how to keep the ball from draining down the sides on my LOTR LE. I have the post set high. It just seems like the ball will come off the slings and shoot right down the out lanes, with barely any time to save. Here are some questions I have:

1. What's the best way to save a ball that's heading to the out lanes?

2. If it's going down the left out lane, do I smack the left or the right side of the machine?

3 Should I be shaking the machine left and right, or forward to back?

4. Should I start nudging when it's at the slings, or even before? Like if I see it's heading towards slings, should I start nudging then?

Having watched people play at Expo, I think I'm much too friendly on my machine. Like I never TILT at home or even get dangers. But watching the pros play, they have the machine rocking and rolling.

I don't want to move the side posts down, but I'm getting lots of drains. Even on 5 ball I'm having trouble hitting There and Back Again. I'd rather improve than make the game easier. Your friendly neophyte pinhead,

C

#2 3 years ago

Get a system 6/7 and use magna save.

I would really like to know the real answer too. I have tried nudging, and can't figure it out.

#3 3 years ago

I would like to know this as well. Especially on twdle

I have all my post at stock settings

I do know that if u have super bouncy rubbers. The ball will stay out of the out lanes better

I did read about someone using zip ties !!!!

#4 3 years ago

I used to not nudge at all. I've started and got considerably better.

Going down the left drain...Nudge from the right. It should kick the ball over slightly. Timing is everything. (obviously, flip for the other side...)

#5 3 years ago

So opposite side nudge?

#6 3 years ago

One of my favorite moves is to push the game upwards when the ball is heading towards the inlane/outlane area. That move will push the sling upwards and allows me to use the top post of the sling to prevent the ball from even going into that side area at all.

If the ball is going towards the outside wall of the game, move the game towards the ball so that you can use the wall to knock the ball towards the inlane.

Lastly when the ball is coming towards the inlane/outlane post, you can use that post to either hit the ball towards the inland or hit it towards the wall and use the wall to get it out of there.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

One of my favorite moves is to push the game upwards when the ball is heading towards the inlane/outlane area. That move will push the sling upwards and allows me to use the top post of the sling to prevent the ball from even going into that side area at all.
    If the ball is going towards the outside wall of the game, move the game towards the ball so that you can use the wall to knock the ball towards the inlane.
    Lastly when the ball is coming towards the inlane/outlane post, you can use that post to either hit the ball towards the inland or hit it towards the wall and use the wall to get it out of there.

For this to work, how aggressive are the moves?

#8 3 years ago

Yes. That is what works for me. But I suspect others might have different methods.

I've seen some hit it both ways, basically shaking the machine. Watch a few of the PAPA videos, you can see various techniques in action.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from kaneda:

For this to work, how aggressive are the moves?

Not too aggressive. Enough for it to make a difference, but nothing like a slide or anything that moves the game into a different spot.

The first move I listed very rarely gives me dangers, while two and three may give dangers/tilt depending on how close to the outlane the ball is.

#10 3 years ago

The first step is to play defensively. Build a strategy that doesn't require many horizontal shots, if possible, and keep shooting the ball up the playfield (the slingshots will add PLENTY of horizontal movement). Another trick is to backhand certain shots along the edges, where possible, which keeps horizontal movement (and ball speed) down. You can take some of the kick out of the slingshots by nudging toward the slingshot just before the hit, but I haven't seen anyone play this too effectively (might work with a super absent tilt bob).

Slamming the ball back into play from the outside wall of the outlane is the toughest outlane save. Saving off the post is easier (either move the machine toward the offending outlane to guide the ball into the inlane, or try to use the post as a bumper to knock the ball back in, usually by pushing the machine forward).

Positioning yourself so that you are ready to either to nudge toward the inlane (for a save off the wall) or toward the outlane (to put the ball back in the inlane) is probably important.

#11 3 years ago

Thanks guys. Lots of great advice and stuff for me to work on.

#12 3 years ago

From my limited experience, the top 1/3 of the slings are the most dangerous. The bottom 2/3 typically just throws the ball to the other sling or away from the outlanes. I try to give it a decent nudge right as the ball contacts the top 1/3 of the sling. Especially when the ball is moving slowly.

A lot of times that extra nudge gives the ball the extra velocity to keep it away from the outlanes.

#14 3 years ago

check out pinball 101

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinbotz
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside