Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6770 (resized).jpg
IMG_6769 (resized).jpg
IMG_6771 (resized).jpg
IMG_6773 (resized).jpg
IMG_6772 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi all. Want to vet a strategy I'm thinking of. I've owned my STTNG for about 13 years or so, and I'm going through a long overdue overhaul of the power sections of the WPC board (all bridges, and C30, C2, C4, C8, C5, C6, C7, and C11). I'm in process- BR5, C30, C2, C4, and C8 are all complete.

I'm also re-doing the pins for J121 (this is the SECOND time) and J120. When I repaired the GI about 6 years ago, J120 was severely burnt. I upgraded last time with heavier duty molex and greater surface area molex connectors... But now still burnt.

This go around, the 2nd pad trace on the J120 (top of board) toasted off and is massively corroded (see photos). It doesn't matter functionally as far as I can tell, so I may just re-use it (curious to your thoughts). So here is what I'm thinking. Key objective in my mind is to minimize heat and resistance in those areas going forward:

1) Jumpering with quality gauge wire behind the board from the first two respective pins on J120 to J121.
2) Use heavier gauge wire in the molex to eliminate heat / resistance that grows presumably due to the small GI wire that has been largely toasted over time.
3) Use traditional electrical box twist connector for the two respective wires on the GI.

My thought process is any heat will be generated away from the board and in the twist connector.

Not interested in converting yet to LED. I'd only do that with a herg board, and I'm not ready for that leap.

Thoughts?

IMG_6769 (resized).jpgIMG_6769 (resized).jpgIMG_6770 (resized).jpgIMG_6770 (resized).jpgIMG_6771 (resized).jpgIMG_6771 (resized).jpgIMG_6772 (resized).jpgIMG_6772 (resized).jpgIMG_6773 (resized).jpgIMG_6773 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

No reason to do anything more than put the new male header in place.

For others reading along, unless you know what you are doing, do not attempt to replace all of those caps.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

No reason to do anything more than put the new male header in place.
For others reading along, unless you know what you are doing, do not attempt to replace all of those caps.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

I agree with Chris.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

I agree with Chris.

Thanks fellas. Done. Do you think there is any value in connecting heavier gauge wire to interface in the molex on the female side, and then connect off board to the light gauge GI wire? I don’t want to keep dealing with heat and burnt connectors on the board.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Thanks fellas. Done. Do you think there is any value in connecting heavier gauge wire to interface in the molex on the female side, and then connect off board to the light gauge GI wire? I don’t want to keep dealing with heat and burnt connectors on the board.

I'd recommend LED and an OCD board. Lots less current draw and the OCD board makes the lamps behave like incandescent.

Rob

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

No sir...It'll be fine.
--
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 9.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 64.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strategy-for-repeating-burnt-gi?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.