(Topic ID: 290009)

Strategies for improving on games that always kick your butt?

By N101AA

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

There are several games released in the past 5 years that no matter how often I play them, I never get a good game and I don't improve over time at all. Take Metallica** for example. I play that game just as well today as I did years ago when I played my first game on it. On average, each ball is done about 15 seconds after the ball saver is done. My shooting accuracy drops to around 10%. Of course, when a shot is missed the ball goes bye-bye. I don't get far enough into a game to worry about rules, strategy, and etc. All of my effort is spent trying to (unsuccessfully) make the shots. I've been playing this game for a while both as practice and in tournament play at multiple locations and I just cannot play it....it kicks my ass and takes my money every time. Recently, I was able to get on this game in a free play environment and make a real effort to see if I can learn the various shots, make some decent progress, experiment with some things, and perhaps squeak out a good game here and there. Nope. After 90 minutes or so and the number of games played well into the double digits, I didn't have a single game over 3.5 minutes. After that session, I hate that game even more.

There are games that I do not play very well, but I can still get a good game here and there. Then, there are the games that just get my goat and when I have to play them in a tournament, well, let's just say that I'm not in a good mental state at the end of the round.

What strategies, if any, could be employed to do better on games that just you just can’t seem to play? Stay away from them? Accept your fate when someone chooses that game against you in a tournament? In my case, practice on these games does not make me better on it over time. In fact, it has the opposite effect...it makes me doubt myself even more afterward.

** Not the real name of a game I really struggle with so the people who compete against me do not learn my kryptonite.

#2 3 years ago

Best advice I can give is just keep playing and have fun. Your shot accuracy will become greater as you continue to play. You'll pick up on timing and will find yourself getting into a groove.

Keep playing games that may not even appeal to you theme-wise. Each layout will teach you something different. No shame in trying out some older machines to learn as well.

It just takes some time, but you will get there.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from N101AA:

There are several games released in the past 5 years that no matter how often I play them, I never get a good game and I don't improve over time at all. Take Metallica** for example. I play that game just as well today as I did years ago when I played my first game on it. On average, each ball is done about 15 seconds after the ball saver is done. My shooting accuracy drops to around 10%. Of course, when a shot is missed the ball goes bye-bye. I don't get far enough into a game to worry about rules, strategy, and etc. All of my effort is spent trying to (unsuccessfully) make the shots. I've been playing this game for a while both as practice and in tournament play at multiple locations and I just cannot play it....it kicks my ass and takes my money every time. Recently, I was able to get on this game in a free play environment and make a real effort to see if I can learn the various shots, make some decent progress, experiment with some things, and perhaps squeak out a good game here and there. Nope. After 90 minutes or so and the number of games played well into the double digits, I didn't have a single game over 3.5 minutes. After that session, I hate that game even more.
    There are games that I do not play very well, but I can still get a good game here and there. Then, there are the games that just get my goat and when I have to play them in a tournament, well, let's just say that I'm not in a good mental state at the end of the round.
    What strategies, if any, could be employed to do better on games that just you just can’t seem to play? Stay away from them? Accept your fate when someone chooses that game against you in a tournament? In my case, practice on these games does not make me better on it over time. In fact, it has the opposite effect...it makes me doubt myself even more afterward.
    ** Not the real name of a game I really struggle with so the people who compete against me do not learn my kryptonite.

Try adjusting your flipper buttons. Make them as hair trigger as you can

#4 3 years ago

Change strategy altogether.

Using Metallica as an example.

Usual go to strategy is Sparky or Graveyard mb. If you just can't get a game going - try something completely different (even if it isn't the most efficient way of scoring) - maybe ramps for combos and Lady, go for Coffin or Snake MB.

A simple change of strategy could change your mindset as to how you perceive/expect your game to go.

My Kryptonite is I500, no matter how often I play it, my score (with 1 exception of a 1.5 bil score) has been between 350-500mil. No major fails, but also no great scores.

#5 3 years ago

On Metallica for the foreseeable future shoot any shot that isn’t sparky. Force yourself to learn all those other shots. Most times you can backhand the right ramp.

Get used to spelling fuel and hitting the fuel lane behind the fuel target.

Practice the scoop over and over. It’s the most important shot of the game.

Don’t worry about score until you comfortable with all the shots.

1 week later
    #6 3 years ago

come and play my flash gordon and you will appreciate the luxury and comfort of a 15 second ball time....

#7 3 years ago

Threaten to sell them to someone who won't care for them or place them in a dive bar to get abused.

They'll behave better then. You'll get higher scores.

LTG : )

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Threaten to sell them to someone who won't care for them or place them in a dive bar to get abused.
    They'll behave better then. You'll get higher scores.
    LTG : )

lol, I will try this tonight.

#9 3 years ago

For me, it's consistent hand and finger placement. I find myself being lazy and adjusting for posture since I am taller. If I keep my hands consistent, so are my games.

#10 3 years ago

Whiskey weed and Slayer always helps.

#11 3 years ago

If you haven’t already, watch Keith Elwin’s Pinball 101, or watch all of these:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-WQLGFMr97DnxeE1Rmi-wAwa-Vm7D-7i

Once you’ve learned the essential 4-5 flipper skills, you can go back to thinking about strategy and enjoy it a lot more.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/strategies-for-improving-on-games-that-always-kick-your-butt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.