You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Simpsons-ThatsaPaddlin_zps0ffeb18d (resized).jpg
Stranger Slings (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Anyone else watch this show on Netflix? If so, thoughts?

I personally really enjoyed it and thought it struck a good balance of capitalizing on nostalgia while, you know, also not sucking like most remakes/reboots tend to.

Anyone think that it would make a good pinball? I guess at first it seems like it might be a hard sell but I could see some great potential with the awesome soundtrack and playfield ideas (i.e. an "upside down" lower playfield, telekinetic-girl magnet tricks, etc.).

Also, considering nostalgia seems to be a primary driver of modern pinball themes, this has some potential as a real crossover title as it's technically newer IP but has the style, and thus theoretically some of the built in safety, of the older, proven IP that people seem to love (Goonies, Close Encounters, Stephen King, etc).

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

I guess I would argue there is plenty to latch onto, IMO. Super powers, Monster, hunting / trapping / burning the monster, alternate world (upside down), corrupt corporation, chase scenes, table top D&D references. Those all sound good to me. At least better than crushing a beer can.

Yeah, if done well, i think there's definitely enough to build some rules and a playfield around. At least as much some other themes that have turned out to be a lot of fun. The basement, the forest, the research facility, etc. Not quite as much action as the Goonies, but much more potentially creepy subject matter that could give it a different slant. Also, season 2 will probably bring a lot more potential.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

I love this series, took me an entire 3 days to watch it LOL.

Yeah, it was awesome, i would have watched the whole season in a day or two, but my wife didn't like it quite as much so it took me nearly a week to finish it.

Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

Moving on, obviously Eleven is still alive. She's still getting her Eggos. I wonder what was said when the Police chief got in the car with the "agents". Did he agree to something with them? And of course Will is barfing alien worms out of his mouth. That seems harmful to your health.

Judging by the positive responses that it seems to be getting, I'd be very surprised if they didn't renew it for another season or two. Anyhow, Eleven does clearly seem to be alive but I wonder if she's either stuck in the upside down or somehow became a type of monster herself? As for the chief and the agents, I imagine there's no end to the possibilities of things that could be going on at the research lab so its completely possible that the first season is just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe they're trying to bring the chief into the fold to keep him in line?

#16 7 years ago

Not sure how accurate it is, but this is pretty interesting nonetheless:

http://www.cnet.com/news/stranger-things-closes-in-on-game-of-thrones-reign-as-most-in-demand-show-on-television/

Also, as the article mentions, Mr. Robot and Preacher are both really great shows as well, for those who haven't watched them yet.

#18 7 years ago

Absolutely, Bloodline is great. A bit more of a slow, psychological drama than the others but its worth it just for Ben Mendelsohn. He plays sleezy better than almost anyone so it's so nice to see him getting some high profile work (rogue one and ready player one, supposedly)

3 weeks later
#23 7 years ago

I was 95% sure they were going to renew it considering how popular it was, but getting a couple of extra episodes was a great bonus. They say their going bigger with next season's plot too, not just staying in the same town. Very excited to see what they do!

1 week later
#27 7 years ago

Yep, she's quite attractive. Been in a ton of stuff over the years too.

#29 7 years ago

Nice. Man though, Eleven's eyes look way creepy like that

#35 7 years ago

I'm giving Netflix the benefit of the doubt since, so far, they seem to have put out pretty good season 2's for all of their shows that I've really loved the first season of (House of Cards, Kimmy Schmidt, Bloodline, BoJack, OitNB, and Daredevil). That's not to say that they're perfect. They've definitely had some that went sharply downhill in season 2....Hemlock Grove comes to mind, but the season 1 for that was just "Ok" anyway.

That said, here's hoping they don't make me eat my words though when Stranger Things s2 comes out next year

2 weeks later
#40 7 years ago

An interview with a little bit about Season 2, including how nervous they are about screwing it up.

http://collider.com/stranger-things-season-2-shawn-levy/

1 month later
#45 7 years ago

Ha, those are both pretty great. Quite funny.

Also, i finally got around to watching the one that Mudflaps posted too. Interesting, particularly the stuff about the dual nature of the demogorgon. Were it true though, i don't know why she wouldn't be able to destroy it if she were able to create it. We can destroy parts of ourselves. Perhaps not as easily as creating them, but it's certainly possible.

Oh, and the video also kinda reminded me of the Ser Pounce/Azor Ahai theory video from GoT. Except, you know, it's not totally ridiculous. Still, it's pretty fun if you've never seen it:

1 week later
#48 7 years ago

This is interesting:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sean-astin-and-paul-reiser-are-in-stranger-things-seaso-1788667795

For those of you who are fans of Aliens, it sounds like season 2 will be getting a somewhat similarly sleazy "company man" version of Reiser. That could be cool.

11 months later
#50 6 years ago

Anyone watching season 2 yet?

Watched the first episode tonight and it seems like a pretty good followup so far.

#53 6 years ago

I really need to get through the season asap since I feel like i can only go so long avoiding online spoilers. It's tough though since my wife really doesn't like it so i have to watch when we're not both watching tv.

Yeah, i thought paul reiser was great too so far. Excellent casting choice.

1 week later
#58 6 years ago

Finally finished the season (it's been a busy couple of weeks). Really enjoyed it though, and (same as last year) I'm really excited for where their going with things next season.

Mullet boy was definitely an amusing addition, but I was secretly wishing that Steve would kick his ass. He spent like a whole episode beating up crazy toothed extra-dimensional dogs with a spiked bat only to get take out by a coke-head. Kinda sad.

3 weeks later
#60 6 years ago

Yeah, that part was sad. The moment he forgot the gun, i knew he'd be dead. They tried to give him a nice send off though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things?tu=nman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.