IMG_0036 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8378 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5768 (resized).jpeg
64191436-E924-430E-866F-05B04DB01394 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8355 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8351 (resized).jpeg
STR THG PST 1 (resized).jpg
schedule (resized).png
There are 1,356 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 28.
#301 11 months ago

I remember finally giving in and buying an IM for top $ and then Stern vaulted it.

I’d rather go without a Stranger Things game then endure that ignominious experience again.

#302 11 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I remember finally giving in and buying an IM for top $ and then Stern vaulted it.
I’d rather go without a Stranger Things game then endure that ignominious experience again.

Don’t worry, I just bought one so a vault is definitely coming! You’re welcome everyone!

#303 11 months ago
Quoted from Bladerunner1:

Hopper in a Hawaiian shirt, Eddie playing the guitar, vector, have one of the figures rise in the air each hit you get. 80's edition premium. I don't know , just love the game

So you want a hopper on a stick a la gargoyles in EHOH?

#304 11 months ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

Don’t worry, I just bought one so a vault is definitely coming! You’re welcome everyone!

My man!

#305 11 months ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

Thanks for taking one for the team!

#306 11 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I did the same exact thing! Lol

1 month later
#307 10 months ago

Just been on a site claiming to have all the latest pinball rumours.
There was zero mention of Stranger Things vault/rerun.
Seems like it really should happen but get the feeling it won’t!

IMG_1597 (resized).pngIMG_1597 (resized).png
#308 10 months ago

Why wouldn't they produce it again? The demand is clearly there.

#309 10 months ago
Quoted from Bobbdobalina:

Just been on a site claiming to have all the latest pinball rumours.
There was zero mention of Stranger Things vault/rerun.
Seems like it really should happen but get the feeling it won’t!
[quoted image]

Quoted from WODKA:

I have been told that they truly want to produce it and are essentially ready to go...but licensing issues are in the way currently.

#310 10 months ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Like anything in business, cost to get the license once more may not be worth producing it again.

#311 10 months ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Apparently they have not been able to re-up the licence. My distributor got an email from stern stating there are no plans to re-run this title in the near future. My guess the price of the licence went up or their was some demands from Netflix that Stern couldn't meet. I really prefer a GB vault with me already owning a tron and Sth, but I would think Sth makes the most sense. I wouldn't hate the idea if they didn't necessarily vault Sth, but rather do another pin based on season 3 and 4 with a whole new design and rule set. I know this doesn't really help the people hoping for another run, but that would be pretty killer in my opinion.

I think with the new Tron movie coming and Universal Studios Tron ride, it would be cool if that was the next Borg game. Again, not necessarily a vault. but rather a Spike 2 Tron based on the newer film.

#312 10 months ago

I’m a huge fan of Stranger Things series, but I have to admit that I could not have been more disappointed in this game. As someone with a small collection (currently 3 that may grow to 4) and with AMF being my favorite pin of all time (I own a remake LE), ST was just too much of an AFM clone for me to buy it. If it had been a different layout, I’d most certainly own one.

Curious if any owners have both ST and AFM and what your thoughts are having owned both over a period of time?

#313 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I’m a huge fan of Stranger Things series, but I have to admit that I could not have been more disappointed in this game. As someone with a small collection (currently 3 that may grow to 4) and with AMF being my favorite pin of all time (I own a remake LE), ST was just too much of an AFM clone for me to buy it. If it had been a different layout, I’d most certainly own one.
Curious if any owners have both ST and AFM and what your thoughts are having owned both over a period of time?

When was the last time you played Sth?
The most updated code and the Cleland sound package are amazing. I too have a relatively small collection 4-6 pins at a time. I owned an AFM special Ed for about a couple months and that left, but Sth is still here. The code is far more deep and the theme resinates with me. Not to say AFM is not a great game, its a classic, but it's still a shallow 90s coded game. I'd choose Sth 110% over, but that's me.

#314 10 months ago

My son and his wife are into the show and various collectibles, and according to her (take it as you will), the license for Stranger Things was not made available to renew or continue on many items, not just the pin. Why? Who knows…

#315 10 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I have been told that they truly want to produce it and are essentially ready to go...but licensing issues are in the way currently.

Does anyone know if it's from the show itself or Netflix? It would be dumb for Netflix to gain a reputation for being a licensor nightmare as that's an additional revenue stream, which also brings eyes to product/content/brands when not viewing their TV.

It would also mean Stern wouldn't ever consider a Wednesday pinball which would sadden many here, and also mean I'd never get my I Think You Should Leave pinball machine. No sloppy steaks for pinheads

#316 10 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Does anyone know if it's from the show itself or Netflix? It would be dumb for Netflix to gain a reputation for being a licensor nightmare as that's an additional revenue stream, which also brings eyes to product/content/brands when not viewing their TV.
It would also mean Stern wouldn't ever consider a Wednesday pinball which would sadden many here, and also mean I'd never get my I Think You Should Leave pinball machine. No sloppy steaks for pinheads

I assume the licensing "issue" is $$. They may want the same amount, or more, which is a problem because vaulting a title you aren't going to make as many as a new title.. if that's the case I wouldn't consider that a "licensor nightmare".

#317 10 months ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

When was the last time you played Sth?
The most updated code and the Cleland sound package are amazing. I too have a relatively small collection 4-6 pins at a time. I owned an AFM special Ed for about a couple months and that left, but Sth is still here. The code is far more deep and the theme resinates with me. Not to say AFM is not a great game, its a classic, but it's still a shallow 90s coded game. I'd choose Sth 110% over, but that's me.

When it first came out, but I'm not saying the game is not good or fun. My point is that my AFM is not leaving, so in a limited collection to have two games with such a similar fan layout and center bash toy just doesn't work for me.

#318 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

When it first came out, but I'm not saying the game is not good or fun. My point is that my AFM is not leaving, so in a limited collection to have two games with such a similar fan layout and center bash toy just doesn't work for me.

I actually think the geometry and feel of the games are completely different. STh although fast feels a lot more stop and go with the 2 gates. AFM kicks out to the wireform after a ufo goes down. The dribble out from the demogorgon and mystery is pretty annoying. Burn it back is awesome and AFM has nothing like that. AFM does have orbits both ways though.

I see the similarities in a centre bash toy and the position of the ramps with the left orbit in STh and the lock ramp on AFM being similar. But again it feels different because AFM is all set back whereas STh it’s all in the middle. The way the ball handles when hitting is the targets and toys are so different as well.

After owning STh for 7 months and still owning AFM, my opinion is AFM shoots way better. It also has enough variety for me. STh has way more in modes, and they are definitely fun. Only sold STh cos I had a stupid offer. I actually feel my SM is closer to the feel of AFM than STh. Would happily have both in my collection. But I like fan layouts! TWD and EHOH, AFM and STh they all feel different to me.

#319 10 months ago

I don't see a vault coming for some time, but do think one will be done in 2025 or so after Stranger Things is off the air and licensing costs die down a little (in theory).

As to the game itself? I really like it, and played a Premium for the first time after playing the pro previously. The projection mapping is neat and there is the extra lock, but I don't really think you are losing that much on the pro here... especially if your pinball area is well lit. A pro with UV package is superior to the stock premium, and 5,000 less at market prices. Rumour is Eddy is on Venom, and if so we may get a new Eddy pin in the next month.

#320 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I wouldn't own both in a small collection. So if your decision is made it's made. But I personally dislike fan layouts and despite the AMAZING theme integration in AFM it bores me to tears in a collection of it, Stern JP, Deadpool and GZ. AFM was the first pin I had in my home though and I definitely played the $#*! out of it fifteen years ago so maybe I'm just tired of it...my family loves it.

#321 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm just saying, the most recent code is an all time great right now imo. When Sth came out initially you can tell by the early ratings on pinside it was essentially a flop. Reason why they took it off the line so early. Also with the center demogorgan shot you have to dial it in. I can hit the demogorgan constantly from the left and right flipper. The code is what makes it better than Afm for me. I have the medysinal lab mod on mine too. I honestly think Sth may be a top 1 or 2 game for me. I'd just say give it another look with the new code and one that is set up properly.

20230112_123004 (resized).jpg20230112_123004 (resized).jpg20230524_224603 (resized).jpg20230524_224603 (resized).jpg
#322 10 months ago

I still think Bryan Eddy went to the well on the layout, and wished it would have been different. Like it or not, AFM is an icon of pinball. 30 year old games in good condition are still fetching $10K+ and great condition along with AFMr LE remakes are easily $12K+.

Given such, it makes some sense that he would bring this proven design back. However, while the ST theme is great, it will not have the staying power over the years/decades that AFM has had.

Regardless of the rules, the shots are just too similar to me to have both in a 3 to 4 pin collection when there is so many great pins with variety out there. With that said, I wouldn't be disappointed if one of my friends put one in their collection for me to come over and play.

#323 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I have both...and they're both great games. But I barely play AFM anymore and still play STh regularly. So take from that what you will...

#324 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I still think Bryan Eddy went to the well on the layout, and wished it would have been different. Like it or not, AFM is an icon of pinball. 30 year old games in good condition are still fetching $10K+ and great condition along with AFMr LE remakes are easily $12K+.
Given such, it makes some sense that he would bring this proven design back. However, while the ST theme is great, it will not have the staying power over the years/decades that AFM has had.
Regardless of the rules, the shots are just too similar to me to have both in a 3 to 4 pin collection when there is so many great pins with variety out there. With that said, I wouldn't be disappointed if one of my friends put one in their collection for me to come over and play.

Oh 100%, I definitely would not own both in a small collection. Yeah, I believe Sth was Eddy first game since he came back to pinball. There are definitely some similarities between the two layout wise. I never grew up playing pinball in the 90's so I don't really have any ties or nostalgia towards AFM like some. lol i think I played more revenge from mars more than the OG back in the day.

1 week later
#325 9 months ago

I would expect Stranger Things to be getting Vaulted sometime around Christmas or first quarter 2024.

I reached out to Netflix directly….. although they did not give me any ETA they said restocks are coming.

Also good to see all the Pinball parts resellers have gotten recent stock on the projectors. Marco little shop of Games and Pinball Life.

#326 9 months ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I would expect Stranger Things to be getting Vaulted sometime around Christmas or first quarter 2024.
I reached out to Netflix directly….. although they did not give me any ETA they said restocks are coming.
Also good to see all the Pinball parts resellers have gotten recent stock on the projectors. Marco little shop of Games and Pinball Life.

whoever you talked to at netflix probably doesn't know shit, man...

#327 9 months ago

Finally played a premium last week at a distributor with a floor model. I'd played the pro already and... I think you could go either way on this pin. I don't feel like anything was really missing on the pro after playing a premium in person. Yes the projector is neat but a room would need to be really dark for it to work well. The magnetic lock was neat but not really that great. If I had to choose between pro with the UV kit and premium without I think I'd take the pro. Overall a neat game but for those holding out for a premium... its cool but its not a game changer like it is in some games.

#328 9 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

whoever you talked to at netflix probably doesn't know shit, man...

Lol, exactly. I’d be shocked if the person at Netflix even realizes there’s a stranger things pinball machine.

#329 9 months ago

You new guys might be surprised how often MNpinball is right.

#330 9 months ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I guess I’m not sure what “restocks” means in this context.

#331 9 months ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

He nailed Metallica as one of many correct prognostications and isn't that Gary Stern in his avatar? I remember that picture, I think MR68 was somehow involved.

#332 9 months ago

I think it's funny when people who don't actually know, speculate as if they do know. I definitely don't know anything. mnpinball is right more often than I can recall them being wrong though...

I personally don't get the obsession with this title. I have a premium that I paid regular retail for... It has the crappy Stern clip art, uses alot of the season 1 assets which now make it look dated, and offers very similar geometry to AFM; dont get me wrong, it shoots well enough, but if someone wanted to give me $14.5K for my HUO, it would probably be on its way out. I do think the projector and UV kit are must haves (though not for the current market price difference) just because they are innovative. I hope they remake it for the folks that missed out, but think some of the mystique to this title is its relative rarity--its overpriced for what it is. Had it had a "normal" production run, it would be more in line with where GZ, JP, and other in production games are trending, if not lower.

That's why I'm not sure it will get remade... People are equating price to demand, but I think this game would actually need to command a higher price than it does to reflect a need to rerun it... this thing sat when new...

#333 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

this thing sat when new...

It did, and I even thought it sucked, as the release code was really lacking. However, Stern polished it up nice, and now it has a whole lot of great and varied modes, and the wizard modes are a blast too. Combine that with classic AFM and MM shot geometry from Eddy, with a killer modern theme, and you now have a winner. I'm happy I picked up a pro with UV a year ago. It's provided me with a year of fun.

The only things I'm not crazy about is the left saucer eject into the drops (you can aim it for the Burn It Back loop), and the right orbit shot to the pop bumpers that dribbles back out instead of being an orbit.

I get people's desire for it. I'd be hard pressed to sell or trade my pro, and I even have an AFM and MM in my lineup. I honestly think I like it better than both of those.

#334 9 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

. However, Stern polished it up nice,

Man, I agree with everything you said. I'm in a tough spot because I don't think it's a BAD game (I bought it too)... I just don't think it lives up to the hype ($14.5k--is it REALLY as good as MM, or other titles going for that price?). I think that price is reflective of RARITY, and the fact people inherently know that is more than it is worth--hence wanting a remake.

Plus, while I agree with everything you mentioned--it still doesn't fix the art and assets. My favorite thing about mine is the Cleland ROM--factory feels really lacking without it. Again-not bashing the title... just calling out some of the reasons it didn't move originally, as that is material to whether it gets reproduced.

These are pinball games, not trading cards. The "rares" are the LE's... everybody that wants a premium version should have one!

#335 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

Man, I agree with everything you said. I'm in a tough spot because I don't think it's a BAD game (I bought it too)... I just don't think it lives up to the hype ($14.5k--is it REALLY as good as MM, or other titles going for that price?). I think that price is reflective of RARITY, and the fact people inherently know that is more than it is worth--hence wanting a remake.
Plus, while I agree with everything you mentioned--it still doesn't fix the art and assets. My favorite thing about mine is the Cleland ROM--factory feels really lacking without it. Again-not bashing the title... just calling out some of the reasons it didn't move originally, as that is material to whether it gets reproduced.
These are pinball games, not trading cards. The "rares" are the LE's... everybody that wants a premium version should have one!

I've actually heard the premiums are more rare than le. Don't know if that's true... I've heard that more than once.

#336 9 months ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

I've actually heard the premiums are more rare than le. Don't know if that's true... I've heard that more than once.

Lol., I've heard stranger things will get remade more than once. Don't know if it's true.

In pinball (like all "collectibles") rarity does not necessarily equal value...

It just depends WHY you are collecting... I collect because the game is fun (ala AF, one of the most produced games ever, yet still on the upper end of pricing). Some collect for rarity, ala BBB, which is indeed rare. Fans would say "rare and fun," detractors would just say "rare." Some would say games are rare AND fun, like MM. I acknowledge there are folks in all 3 camps for STh. I (personally) think alot of STh value is solely due to its rarity, which is why it may not be remade (i.e., I am in the BBB detractor camp for this title).

I'm not saying it's not fun. I'm not saying it's not a good game. I'm saying "I don't think it will get remade because demand isnt there, but I hope I'm wrong." In other words, had Stern just produced (insert low quantity more), the game might be in JP/GZ/IM pricing territory. And let's face it--there are some people who ONLY want it remade because they don't want to pay $14.5K for it (nor should they). If it's a $10K title, will they still want it?

#337 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

Lol., I've heard stranger things will get remade more than once. Don't know if it's true.
In pinball (like all "collectibles") rarity does not necessarily equal value...
It just depends WHY you are collecting... I collect because the game is fun (ala AF, one of the most produced games ever, yet still on the upper end of pricing). Some collect for rarity, ala BBB, which is indeed rare. Fans would say "rare and fun," detractors would just say "rare." Some would say games are rare AND fun, like MM. I acknowledge there are folks in all 3 camps for STh. I (personally) think alot of STh value is solely due to its rarity, which is why it may not be remade (i.e., I am in the BBB detractor camp for this title).
I'm not saying it's not fun. I'm not saying it's not a good game. I'm saying "I don't think it will get remade because demand isnt there, but I hope I'm wrong." In other words, had Stern just produced (insert low quantity more), the game might be in JP/GZ/IM pricing territory. And let's face it--there are some people who ONLY want it remade because they don't want to pay $14.5K for it (nor should they). If it's a $10K title, will they still want it?

I don't disagree... Nor did I ever. I also dont think it will get remade. I'm simply stating.. Le and premium at least on this title... Dont seen to have recorded numbers... So before people claim the le is more rare...in this case it may not be. Yes it has a number on a plaque... And differnt side art... But it's the same as a premium. Fwiw... I played a pro... And just wasn't impressed... And at the end of the day it was a premium... Le or nothing. The wow factor of the projector (especially with a screen material upgrade) and tk lock are well worth it. Either way... The fact is, the game is rare... In any model... And fun either way. It's just a shame more people didn't get to enjoy it.

#338 9 months ago

Rereleasing this game would certainly help get pinball out of the doldrums.

#339 9 months ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

I don't disagree... Nor did I ever. I also dont think it will get remade. I'm simply stating.. Le and premium at least on this title... Dont seen to have recorded numbers... So before people claim the le is more rare...in this case it may not be. Yes it has a number on a plaque... And differnt side art... But it's the same as a premium. Fwiw... I played a pro... And just wasn't impressed... And at the end of the day it was a premium... Le or nothing. The wow factor of the projector (especially with a screen material upgrade) and tk lock are well worth it. Either way... The fact is, the game is rare... In any model... And fun either way. It's just a shame more people didn't get to enjoy it.

I'm the reverse. Pro or nothing unless it gets vaulted. My girlfriend wants one as 'her' first pin. I like it well enough but it's not my favorite. I'd feel like a real cad if I advised her to buy a Premium at current pricing. I personally don't like unique features that make repair harder because I tend to keep my pins for a long time. We could buy a Pro now...enjoy it...buy a Premium if it ever gets vaulted...take a huge loss on the used Pro and STILL come out ahead of what Premiums sell for today. And I just can't get over how awful the ramps etc look on a Premium when the thing is turned off. Absurd first world problems I know but it is what it is.

#340 9 months ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

I personally don't get the obsession with this title.

It's the theme because the layout and rules are pretty average. You will get a bunch of downvotes though because owners don't like hearing any constructive feedback on their precious games.

#341 9 months ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

APPROXIMATELY the same. 500 of each. about 1000-1200 pros out there.

You can get a good sense of it by looking at Pinside "Owners" count for each. We know how many Stern makes of each LE, certain titles from other manufacturers, and older games. From there you come to the conclusion that 30-40% of pins are accounted for in "pinside owners", for newer titles at least.

So. 2000 machines out there. Maybe they can sell 1000 more. Doesn't really move the needle...

Quoted from usandthem:

Rereleasing this game would certainly help get pinball out of the doldrums.

2 weeks later
#343 9 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

So, has the waiting crowd moved on from waiting for a Tron vault to waiting for a Stranger Things vault?

Yes. But they want Stranger THings vaulted as a "full DMD conversion."

#344 9 months ago

I follow the home arcade scene so am familiar with and often talk to some of those YouTubers mentioned in the article. In addition to talking with Brian Eddy about the Stranger Things re-release, they also talked to the Stern licensing guy who mentioned there are plans to re-release a lot of their older popular dmd games as full LCD releases. Things like AC/DC and Metallica were mentioned.

#345 9 months ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

I follow the home arcade scene so am familiar with and often talk to some of those YouTubers mentioned in the article. In addition to talking with Brian Eddy about the Stranger Things re-release, they also talked to the Stern licensing guy who mentioned there are plans to re-release a lot of their older popular dmd games as full LCD releases. Things like AC/DC and Metallica were mentioned.

That’s music to my ears .I always had a feeling about this as a no brainer .Now let’s see if it happens .

#346 9 months ago

Interesting swag at Marco’s Pinball booth at SFG.

High quality Stranger Things sticker.

IMG_2480 (resized).jpegIMG_2480 (resized).jpeg
#348 9 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

“It’s not impossible”. Well, that cinches it then.

Between that and the old stickers in Marco's booth I'd say it's 100 percent.

I'm getting on a list at my favorite distro right now!

#349 9 months ago
Quoted from Walk:

Interesting swag at Marco’s Pinball booth at SFG.
High quality Stranger Things sticker.
[quoted image]

Those stickers aren’t on the Marco site and I need one for my coin door, where can you buy them?

#350 9 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Those stickers aren’t on the Marco site and I need one for my coin door, where can you buy them?

Hopefully someone who goes to the show can grab some and send them over to Oz.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 1,356 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-vault-is-it-coming/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.