You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220730_102837 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220730_102846 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220730_102852 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220730_102858 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

that site https://www.vcknsobey.com just scares the crap out of me. if someone wants to risk their CC info for the s6000 projector listed there, go for it, and let us know how you do. But the "contact" part of their web page does not list their location, which seems really odd to me. It just stinks of a credit card harvest site.
on even some worse news, we called the China company that made the s6000 projector and indeed tried to order 500 or even 1000 of them. We were told that the projector chip used in the s6000 is no longer available, and hence, they can not make the s6000 ever again. So there's that...
On better news, i have converted my Stranger Things Pro to run the projector, basically turning the Pro game into a Premium. Still have to figure out if i just got lucky on the whole affair, or if i'm smart. Jury still out on that. I should know more on this front in the next few days.
And last, I'm working on making the M4 work as a direct replacement for the S6000 projector. Basically i'm doing the metal work for a bracket that will allow the M4 to be a drop in replacement for the s6000. Still have some more work to do on that, but it's looking pretty good.

Nice work! Curious to see how you tricked it into working on the pro.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

Well it's figured out. Just not very practical to upgrade a pro to use a projector. it's expensive and to make a difficult job a bit less difficult, you need the original projector (and a lot of other expensive stuff.) but the major obstacle is the discontinued projector. Yes the M4 replacement can work. But that means custom mounting brackets have to be made. and it projects player-side-left instead of player-side-right (only the s6000 projects player-side-right, no other compact projector does that.) So it gets even more complicated with that, with not only custom mounting brackets, but also modifying the ball arch because the position of the lens on the projector. then there's the issue with fooling the game to think it's a premium so it will run the projector, not to mention the wiring and modifying the ball trough metal and the projector power supply... The whole thing is complex and expensive, but do-able.

What was the trick to fool the game code it's running on a premium? Something in firmware?

3 weeks later
#107 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Based on what I'm hearing... No. No this isn't a real problem. There have been a few failures... Yes.. But overall IMHO this projector fear is just blown out of proportion. Failures can happen... But let's be honest.... Let's compare projector failures to coil failures in any game... It should put things into perspective. Coils are also designed to last a very very long time... But occasionally you get a bad batch or bad windings and they fail. I'll start worrying about projectors when people post of failures every few months. In the mean time.... It's just not happening. Now full disclosure... I did buy a spare, but I'll bet I never need it.
Based on the complaints I'm hearing.... I'd buy coil stops before I worry about anything else.

Those are standard parts which are apples and oranges compared to the projector

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

No its not. I'm simply pointing out... If you're looking for items of failure... You need to be looking at items that actually have a history of failing. Coil stops... Drop targets assemblys, small Switches and so on. I hear of coil stops failing on Stern all the time. I've heard of three projectors. Three. In all those threads. Like others... I've followed the threads on projectors. Yes... Obviously they can fail... But the failure rate is very low based on the data I'm seeing.

If a coil stop disintegrates 5 years from now, I can just go buy one. If the projector burns up, I'm screwed unless I have a spare or manage to MacGuyver something.

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Again you're missing the point. Someone asked if this was really a big concern... And I answered based on failure rates I'm hearing about... No, it isn't much concern. You should be more concerned about drop targets failing or coil stops. Those two issues alone are well documented failures. If you're worried about a projector failure, buy one. I'll bet you never need it.

No, I get your point. But it's not the reason anyone is buying a backup projector. It's simply risk mitigation, regardless of the probability of risk. I know that eventually the projector will fail, even if far into the future. For other components, I know they will also fail, but I can readily replace them at any time. Even node boards are shared across games and therefore are more likely to be reproduced in the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joetechbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-projector-wait-list-?tu=joetechbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.