50%

(76 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B2BCBB88-6EE5-4FD6-869E-22B3CEEA7C29 (resized).jpeg
F36DA939-6974-4594-96B1-D0B277A00A3D (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Good day. I would like your opinions on trading our Star Trek Pro and cash for either—a) Stranger Things Pro NIB or b) Avengers IQ NIB. Please feel free to contrast the two choices for NIB, and share why you would go with one or the other. We are a 1-pin family. Tough decision for us, as we want to make a good decision. We owned ST Pro (originally NIB) for over a year. It is a great shooter. Time for a change. Five in our family—myself, my wife and three kids (19, 15, 12). Our middle son and I mostly play pinball, while my wife and other two kids rarely play. Daughter (19) loves Stranger Things show, as do we, but doesn’t play much pinball. I am leaning towards Avengers—it seems to sound, look and play better—although there is something about Stranger Things that keeps it in contention. Thanks in advance...! Cheers!

#2 2 years ago

Ive owned avengers premium and stranger things LE. I think the projector/uv is a real nice addition with ST if possible. Both are just great. Avengers had more interesting shots but i didnt love the complicated code. Also aiq has monster outlanes!

Really cant go wrong.

#3 2 years ago

Have you played both Stranger Things pro and Avengers pro? I would try to get some games on each to see what you like best. It depends on what theme you and your family will enjoy most. I would not buy one until you you spend some time on them

#4 2 years ago

Have you played both Stranger Things pro and Avengers pro? I would try to get some games on each to see what you like best. It depends on what theme you and your family will enjoy most. I would not buy one until you you spend some time on them

Yes thanks. I tend to lean towards Avengers IQ, but still considering STh. Avengers seems to have better flow but STh is really captivating.

#5 2 years ago

Yes thanks Coz. Avengers IQ Pro seems to have great shots, quality/loudness/sound/speakers (not call outs), color, lighting, and flow, but it seems to lack personality and connectivity.

STh is in contention due to theme, appeal, center drop targets/Demogorgon toy and ramp, show clips, music, lighting and mood.

I am leaning Avengers, due to the way it plays and shoots overall, but I am somewhat torn.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:Ive owned avengers premium and stranger things LE. I think the projector/uv is a real nice addition with ST if possible. Both are just great. Avengers had more interesting shots but i didnt love the complicated code. Also aiq has monster outlanes!

Really cant go wrong.

Thanks for the feedback.

#7 2 years ago

very different games... stranger things all day for me. Aiq is fun but the rule set is way more tournament style. I’d pick Jp over Aiq personally if you like that style.

#8 2 years ago

I have a stranger things pro (with uv kit)at my local brewery- it’s been the best earning pin I’ve ever put on route. My wife really enjoyed it when I had it at home for a few weeks. Avengers is a fun game too, bright and colorful along with a great layout- rules can be confusing for casual fans.

#9 2 years ago

where are you located at? I have both Stranger Things and Avengers pro's in stock, so if you make a decision, Id be happy to try to help you out. And if your local, i can make it easy by just trading in your used game

Troy
decatur Illinois

#10 2 years ago

Avengers if it’s mostly just you and your 1 son playing. Avengers has a deep rule set that you’ll enjoy more and more over time.

Stranger Things is very blah to me and the least of Brian Eddys games by a large margin. If your daughter likes the show that’s a bonus and it is much easier to understand to the casual player, but it gets old fast.

#11 2 years ago

Maybe wait a few days and see what the mandalorian looks like

#12 2 years ago

Both are good but I play Stranger Things more than I play AIQ

#13 2 years ago

If it matters, Stranger Things has great flow and is mostly easy to shoot. It’s more beginner-friendly, IMO. Not sure how anyone could call it “blah”. It has the best light show by far, once you install the UV kit. I went to a location to try one, and it was constantly in play. Very fun game.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

where are you located at? I have both Stranger Things and Avengers pro's in stock, so if you make a decision, Id be happy to try to help you out. And if your local, i can make it easy by just trading in your used game
Troy
decatur Illinois

Thanks Troy. We have a Stern dealer here in town.

#15 2 years ago

If you prefer a deep story based ruleset I say Stranger Things, for points / tournament style play Avengers.

Personally I would go with a Stranger Things Pro and the UV light kit. Stranger Things Pro actually has a few things that move on it versus Avengers Pro that has very little. Stranger Things has the drop target bank, moving ramp and Demogorgon toy, all interact with the ball. With Avengers Pro you will get 3 drop targets and that's really it for toys. 3 drop targets for around $6k? Pass. Also the callouts on Avengers are terrible ("It's time to go binary"!) whereas Stranger Things has full assets from the first two seasons of the show + custom callouts by one of the actors.

In my opinion Stranger Things is the best pro for the money that Stern has put out in years, probably since Star Trek.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If you prefer a deep story based ruleset I say Stranger Things, for points / tournament style play Avengers.
Personally I would go with a Stranger Things Pro and the UV light kit. Stranger Things Pro actually has a few things that move on it versus Avengers Pro that has very little. Stranger Things has the drop target bank, moving ramp and Demogorgon toy, all interact with the ball. With Avengers Pro you will get 3 drop targets and that's really it for toys. 3 drop targets for around $6k? Pass. Also the callouts on Avengers are terrible ("It's time to go binary"!) whereas Stranger Things has full assets from the first two seasons of the show + custom callouts by one of the actors.
In my opinion Stranger Things is the best pro for the money that Stern has put out in years, probably since Star Trek.

Thanks for the great feedback.

#17 2 years ago

I like Trek pro more than these in pro versions but agree - Stranger things and that UV kit is a must add to budget if you go pro.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I like Trek pro more than these in pro versions but agree - Stranger things and that UV kit is a must add to budget if you go pro.

Thanks

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If it matters, Stranger Things has great flow and is mostly easy to shoot. It’s more beginner-friendly, IMO. Not sure how anyone could call it “blah”. It has the best light show by far, once you install the UV kit. I went to a location to try one, and it was constantly in play. Very fun game.

Thanks

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Both are good but I play Stranger Things more than I play AIQ

Thanks

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Maybe wait a few days and see what the mandalorian looks like

Cheers!

#22 2 years ago

I'd go aiq. Stranger things pro big drop off vs premium. No projector. Needs uv kit

Aiq pro has one heck of a light show, deep game, great shots.

#23 2 years ago

I have a STh pro and an A:IQ premium. Love them both. AIQ is so unique, both in layout and code. It's also fairly complicated and some would say doesn't have quite the theme integration that it could. STh is derivative of other games (particularly AFM), with a fairly standard layout and more simple (though still plenty to do) code. The theme integration is amazing and really captures the spookier/atmospheric part of the show in a way few other games can do. It really sucks you in, and the UV kit brings it over the top.

I would consider AIQ prem one of my top 5 games, with STh just BARELY below that. However, if I had to compare both at the pro level, it would be much more close, and I think STh might pull ahead a bit. AIQ is a true game changer at the premium level, where STh is really just eye candy (though very cool and unique eye candy).

Both are awesome, can't go wrong games. AIQ is overall better regarded, but Stranger Things seems to slowly be gaining momentum as more people discover it. To me it is very underrated, simply because it got lost in the shuffle of a very stacked year of new releases. Play both before buying if you can. If truly torn, I would pick the theme that speaks to you most. Good luck!

#24 2 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is that ST is quite similar to stranger things. Both fairly standard fan layouts with a center bash toy guarded by drop targets. Both games have been described as modern takes on AFM. AIQ would provide a totally different experience than your Star Trek and while the theme integration is meh the deep rules and things to accomplish should fit great in a one game collection. In a one game collection I would definitely go AIQ over stranger things (especially coming off Star Trek).

#25 2 years ago

If you have the opportunity, definitely play both games on location. Before I decided that STH would be my next new Stern, I played a lot of AIQ, EHOH, IMDN and AFM. In the end, STH was the one game I kept wanting to go back to. I made a trip back the next Saturday and did it all over again.

It’s a very personal decision, with theme, layout, rules and art all playing a part. So don’t cheat yourself by relying on Pinside opinions or even gameplay videos. It’s worth driving a few hours to play everything, if you can.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

One thing to keep in mind is that ST is quite similar to stranger things. Both fairly standard fan layouts with a center bash toy guarded by drop targets. Both games have been described as modern takes on AFM. AIQ would provide a totally different experience than your Star Trek and while the theme integration is meh the deep rules and things to accomplish should fit great in a one game collection. In a one game collection I would definitely go AIQ over stranger things (especially coming off Star Trek).

Thanks, a great take and helpful.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you have the opportunity, definitely play both games on location. Before I decided that STH would be my next new Stern, I played a lot of AIQ, EHOH, IMDN and AFM. In the end, STH was the one game I kept wanting to go back to. I made a trip back the next Saturday and did it all over again.
It’s a very personal decision, with theme, layout, rules and art all playing a part. So don’t cheat yourself by relying on Pinside opinions or even gameplay videos. It’s worth driving a few hours to play everything, if you can.

Well put, thank you.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I have a STh pro and an A:IQ premium. Love them both. AIQ is so unique, both in layout and code. It's also fairly complicated and some would say doesn't have quite the theme integration that it could. STh is derivative of other games (particularly AFM), with a fairly standard layout and more simple (though still plenty to do) code. The theme integration is amazing and really captures the spookier/atmospheric part of the show in a way few other games can do. It really sucks you in, and the UV kit brings it over the top.
I would consider AIQ prem one of my top 5 games, with STh just BARELY below that. However, if I had to compare both at the pro level, it would be much more close, and I think STh might pull ahead a bit. AIQ is a true game changer at the premium level, where STh is really just eye candy (though very cool and unique eye candy).
Both are awesome, can't go wrong games. AIQ is overall better regarded, but Stranger Things seems to slowly be gaining momentum as more people discover it. To me it is very underrated, simply because it got lost in the shuffle of a very stacked year of new releases. Play both before buying if you can. If truly torn, I would pick the theme that speaks to you most. Good luck!

Thanks kindly. Great input.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

I'd go aiq. Stranger things pro big drop off vs premium. No projector. Needs uv kit

Thanks.

#30 2 years ago

AIQ pro over Stranger things pro.

Stranger is much more fun with the premium

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Aiq has a good light show?

B2BCBB88-6EE5-4FD6-869E-22B3CEEA7C29 (resized).jpegB2BCBB88-6EE5-4FD6-869E-22B3CEEA7C29 (resized).jpegF36DA939-6974-4594-96B1-D0B277A00A3D (resized).jpegF36DA939-6974-4594-96B1-D0B277A00A3D (resized).jpeg
#32 2 years ago

Don’t listen to the Pro skeptics on Stranger Things. It’s plenty of fun without the projector, the TK lock and a few other bells and whistles. And it’s of the few pros with the exact same layout as the LE (minus the TK lock).

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Don’t listen to the Pro skeptics on Stranger Things. It’s plenty of fun without the projector, the TK lock and a few other bells and whistles. And it’s of the few pros with the exact same layout as the LE (minus the TK lock).

Cheers!

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Aiq has a good light show? [quoted image][quoted image]

For sure, nice lighting in STh!

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

AIQ pro over Stranger things pro.
Stranger is much more fun with the premium

Thanks

#36 2 years ago

You're going to get a lot of votes in both directions. I own AFMr and thought about selling it for Stranger things. Family and I went and played St and we all disliked it a lot. IMO AFM is far more exciting.

Then there was AIQ next to it. We couldn't stop playing it. We loved AIQ to the point we ordered a premium.

We really wanted to love Stranger things she nce we love the show but it was just a massive let down.

Good luck I'd suggest you put some serious play time on both. Just to prove I'm weird and different I don't care for Jurrasic Park at all but love TMNT. LOL

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Aiq has a good light show? [quoted image][quoted image]

ok, you got me on that one. i think aiq looks pretty cool with the all different colors and all. i would agree the ultraviolet is nice on ST. i've seen it on the premium.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

We really wanted to love Stranger things since we love the show but it was just a massive let down.

What was a let down? Layout, rules, art or sound?

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What was a let down? Layout, rules, art or sound?

We played the premium. Loved the projector. The art and graphics were exactly what we expected and no problem there.

I think what really didn't click was the audio/sound. Unless they had something turned off it was very full and boring. If someone like Cleland does a sound mod for this I bet it would be exciting.

I'll say this maybe my problem was I had this expectation that it would be better than AFM and for me it wasn't close. (That just my opinion and doesn't mean crap).

I found EHOH far more entertaining to play than Stranger things. I'd say that's more in the realm of AFM & Stranger things.

I really enjoyed AIQ. With all that being said I wouldn't say no to owning Stranger things but it's far down on my list of pins to own.

#40 2 years ago

I sincerely appreciate your opinion. I had the opposite experience with AFM and EHOH, but that’s pinball - it’s very subjective what’s fun and what isn’t. An arcade or barcade probably isn’t the best place to experience any game’s audio. I honestly went in kind of blind (or deaf) on Stranger Things because the volume was way too low, and there were snot-nosed kids playing the free shooter game next to me (and leaning on the pin!). I took a chance, and was really happy with the stock music, but Cleland really did take it to another level. I’m working on the callouts in the game, so you’d likely have multiple custom audio tracks to choose from. I don’t know the fan base for the other games, but I can tell you that the STH club is pretty much starry-eyed in love with the game.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I sincerely appreciate your opinion. I had the opposite experience with AFM and EHOH, but that’s pinball - it’s very subjective what’s fun and what isn’t. An arcade or barcade probably isn’t the best place to experience any game’s audio. I honestly went in kind of blind (or deaf) on Stranger Things because the volume was way too low, and there were snot-nosed kids playing the free shooter game next to me (and leaning on the pin!). I took a chance, and was really happy with the stock music, but Cleland really did take it to another level. I’m working on the callouts in the game, so you’d likely have multiple custom audio tracks to choose from. I don’t know the fan base for the other games, but I can tell you that the STH club is pretty much starry-eyed in love with the game.

Thanks for leading a continued discussion. I am still undecided. The poll is 50/50. This will be a tough choice.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

We played the premium. Loved the projector. The art and graphics were exactly what we expected and no problem there.
I think what really didn't click was the audio/sound. Unless they had something turned off it was very full and boring. If someone like Cleland does a sound mod for this I bet it would be exciting.
I'll say this maybe my problem was I had this expectation that it would be better than AFM and for me it wasn't close. (That just my opinion and doesn't mean crap).
I found EHOH far more entertaining to play than Stranger things. I'd say that's more in the realm of AFM & Stranger things.
I really enjoyed AIQ. With all that being said I wouldn't say no to owning Stranger things but it's far down on my list of pins to own.

Commentary is appreciated.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

You're going to get a lot of votes in both directions. I own AFMr and thought about selling it for Stranger things. Family and I went and played St and we all disliked it a lot. IMO AFM is far more exciting.
Then there was AIQ next to it. We couldn't stop playing it. We loved AIQ to the point we ordered a premium.
We really wanted to love Stranger things she nce we love the show but it was just a massive let down.
Good luck I'd suggest you put some serious play time on both. Just to prove I'm weird and different I don't care for Jurrasic Park at all but love TMNT. LOL

I think you are right—I may have to play some more of each pin. Much appreciated.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

That's awesome I didn't know there was a Cleland mix for it and more coming. I think that would be amazing to try.

I agree that's what makes Pinball interesting is the different opinions. TMNT has mixed reviews, but I love it. Jurrasic Park is loved but I didn't care for it. I think my favorite pin is TWD.

I have EHOH on order and not sure if I'm in love with it enough. AFM is fun until MM and I'm like why do I have AFM?

I couldn't agree more on the STH threads they are die hard in love. ( Nothing wrong with that but maybe a titch jaded lol )

OP sorry for hijacking your thread. The good thing is you can get one and if you don't like it in 3-6 months you can swap it out for the other.

#45 2 years ago

I absolutely loved my JP for 2 years, and I think it’s a great one for everyone to have at some point. I just wasn’t worthy - I never got to a single wizard or mini-wizard mode. But it’s a genius game.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

That's awesome I didn't know there was a Cleland mix for it and more coming. I think that would be amazing to try.
I agree that's what makes Pinball interesting is the different opinions. TMNT has mixed reviews, but I love it. Jurrasic Park is loved but I didn't care for it. I think my favorite pin is TWD.
I have EHOH on order and not sure if I'm in love with it enough. AFM is fun until MM and I'm like why do I have AFM?
I couldn't agree more on the STH threads they are die hard in love. ( Nothing wrong with that but maybe a titch jaded lol )
OP sorry for hijacking your thread. The good thing is you can get one and if you don't like it in 3-6 months you can swap it out for the other.

Cheers! Thanks.

#47 2 years ago

Stranger things pro all day. Just bought the last NIB a distributor had and cant wait until Friday when it arrives. I dont understand the hate towards this game bc if you like deep story mode based games this is the best one in YEARS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,999 (Firm)
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 34.00
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Newnan, GA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-pro-nib-or-avengers-iq-pro-nib?hl=phantasmo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.