(Topic ID: 166681)

Stranger Things Pinball - is this Next Stern?!

By Squall

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

44302-willy-wonka (resized).jpg
MV5BOWIxZDgyMTgtYWQ0Ny00Y2Y3LTkwMzEtOTY2MTM3ODY0YzkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_ (
kiss_code_(resized).jpg
stbv_(resized).jpg
star-wars_(resized).png
troll_(resized).png
aerosmith.jpg
stranger-things-poster-trailer-pic_(resized).jpg
Zrzut_ekranu_2016-08-18_o_18.25.20_(resized).png
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Movie hype is actually a major factor. Modern marketing is real, there is a very specific window in time that provides you the highest sales potential for a product.

In other industries for sure, not in pinball and not with properties that are forty years old. Selling a $5,000 pin is not going to be easier when the movie is out. They're not selling toothbrushes or McDonald's toys. Now if you want to talk games on location that makes sense. I could see operators wanting the game at the same time to maybe boost revenue but the last game that was relevant because of a new property was Avatar six years ago. Everything since has been based on properties that are very old or TV shows that are still relevant.

Johnny Mnemonic is not the only game based on a movie that failed. The last game Bally/Williams made was Star Wars Episode 1 and that helped to kill the company. There was also Godzilla, Lost In Space, Last Action Hero, The Shadow and more.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I still think the next pin is a Batman VE with the old school Adam West batman theme

Interestingly enough, a new animated Batman movie is coming out with Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar doing the voices, the timing would be perfect for it: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/17/batman-adam-west-burt-ward-julie-newmar-animated

#53 7 years ago

I don't actually think they'll be making a Stranger Things pin (it'd be nice to be wrong), but I think it would be good if they did. It's current, it's a great license that tons of people enjoy, it's got lots of opportunities for playfield creativity, and it's a draw for the younger market. I mean, they started production on The Addams Family based only a script which was later altered, which is why the weather machine topper doesn't show up in the finished film, so really, anything goes.

#54 7 years ago

It's obvious movies sell pins the list of movie themes is endless. I don't follow it that closely did Transformers, Iron Man and Star Trek all come out much after the movie?

#55 7 years ago

Great show, just finished it. But stern starts developing their games 2 years in advance so it's not even possible.

#56 7 years ago

Lets all hope there playfield issues are worked out b4 there next game.

#57 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I mean, they started production on The Addams Family based only a script which was later altered, which is why the weather machine topper doesn't show up in the finished film, so really, anything goes.

Is that what that's supposed to be? I just thought the kids tried to kill Uncle Fester with an explosion or something.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Is that what that's supposed to be? I just thought the kids tried to kill Uncle Fester with an explosion or something.

"The cloud topper on The Addams Family, is a remnant of an older movie script. There was plans to have a weather machine in the movie, but the idea was ultimately scrapped. By this time, Pat Lawlor had already designed a topper for the pinball machine. With a relatively low cost to produce the topper, he decided to keep it for the final game."

First time I ever heard it either. Trunchbull with the scoop!

#59 7 years ago

Haha, I thought it was an interesting tidbit which showed how far in advance they used to jump on titles. I got it (I think) from a TOPcast pinball podcast, which I'll link below, where they interviewed Lawlor and he discusses some really interesting things. He talks about the top-down corporate culture at Stern, and makes it sound like he left due to lack of creative control.

http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/past.php

#60 7 years ago

This could be their first "virtual pinball/online" theme release! Seems to make more sense especially with limited audience and being a fairly new title on Netflix.

#61 7 years ago

JJP pretty much showed the problem of producing a game tied into a specific movie release. Is it coming up to 2 years since the last hobbit movie came out? And still the machines aren't out in the UK. Does anyone give a toss about the films now? They weren't especially good. The game could be the best ever made and it's tied into a theme that doesn't mean anything to most people. (The book is a different situation)
Mind you the 90s had some strange choices for film tie ins. Who would have thought Twister would be a good choice?

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from johngravenews:

And still the machines aren't out in the UK.

Hi John, We have a brand new Hobbit in west London, come give it a spin. Awesome game.

#63 7 years ago

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it does seem to indicate that the show is quite popular:

http://www.cnet.com/news/stranger-things-closes-in-on-game-of-thrones-reign-as-most-in-demand-show-on-television/

If they can keep up the quality for a Season 2 (or more), now that will be impressive.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it does seem to indicate that the show is quite popular:
http://www.cnet.com/news/stranger-things-closes-in-on-game-of-thrones-reign-as-most-in-demand-show-on-television/
If they can keep up the quality for a Season 2 (or more), now that will be impressive.

Stranger Things is not even in the same discussion as Game of Thrones... GOT will go down in history as one of the best ever for so many reasons. Stranger Things will come and go... extremely popular with the teenie boppers as well which basically drives the show.

#65 7 years ago

Yeah, I wasn't trying to directly compare Stranger Things to GoT qualitatively. It is my favorite still-running show on TV. Period. I even had a direwolf sigil on my wedding cake. Besides, it would be an apples/oranges comparison. That said, I have room in my heart for more than one tv show and Stranger Things does seem to have potential at least judging from the initial strong reception.

Also, I'm not sure about "teenie boppers." Primarily it seems targeted at people that grew up in the late 70s to early 80s. Almost everyone I know in that range loves Stranger Things while the only people I know that didn't really care for it are actually younger (my wife and several of her friends who are still in their 20s).

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Stranger Things is not even in the same discussion as Game of Thrones... GOT will go down in history as one of the best ever for so many reasons. Stranger Things will come and go... extremely popular with the teenie boppers as well which basically drives the show.

Both great shows. But yes...GOT is in a league of its own.

Unless they f**k it up.

#67 7 years ago

GoT is also a gargantuan era-spanning show while Stranger Things is more like a really long movie.

#68 7 years ago

I love Stranger Things and think it's the best show I've seen in a long time. It was like ET, the Goonies, Stephen King, and Speilberg rolled into one. I'd get one, but would prefer they wait until more seasons have come out.

#69 7 years ago

I found it way more like Halloween 3.

jesus ET is completely unwatchable after I turned 10

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Teenie Boppers? I'm 48, the music sounds like the John Carpenter horror movies of the 80s I grew up on and there are mad references to tons of 80s movies. I've found Stranger Things to be extremely popular with people in their 30s and 40s and doubt the teenie boppers (who even says that anymore?) even care about it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#71 7 years ago

I predominantly associate with people in their mid 20's to mid 40's and pretty much everyone raves about the show.

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Teenie Boppers? I'm 48, the music sounds like the John Carpenter horror movies of the 80s I grew up on and there are mad references to tons of 80s movies. I've found Stranger Things to be extremely popular with people in their 30s and 40s and doubt the teenie boppers (who even says that anymore?) even care about it.

Yes, teenie boppers. The corniness appeals to them just as much as it does for the nostalgic nerds from the 80's.

Quoted from nwpinball:

the teenie boppers (who even says that anymore?) even care about it.

Isn't that an 80's term? Should be right up your alley!

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I predominantly associate with people in their mid 20's to mid 40's and pretty much everyone raves about the show.

Maybe you should associate with some cooler people...

Its a decent show and fairly entertaining... but overall fairly forgettable

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Is it a good story or does it just hit your nostalgia bone?
I didn't think it was bad but it seemed a little pandering, a montage of 80's childhood.
Other than magnets I don't see it being a good theme.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from renodakota:

I didn't think it was bad but it seemed a little pandering, a montage of 80's childhood.

It worked for me completely...but I see what you're saying. It's like anything, either you like it or you don't.
I felt liek you did over that "Super 8" movie that everyone said "was just like Speilberg" blah blah...couldn't make it through half of it.

Quoted from nwpinball:

Teenie Boppers?

Haha haven't you learned to not respond to Teekee's wacky shit? I love that Grinch

#75 7 years ago

I'm halfway through the first season. Good show. Very 80's, Goonies, Spielberg ish, Carpenter fun.

But, no way, is Stern making a pin based on this show right now.

1 week later
#76 7 years ago

Netflix just announced season 2. It's the best show on netflix in my opinion.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I was hoping they'd do a completely different story for season 2. All new characters/location. I'm afraid it won't live up to season 1.

I can't see this as a pinball machine since they JUST renewed it.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I was hoping they'd do a completely different story for season 2. All new characters/location. I'm afraid it won't live up to season 1.
I can't see this as a pinball machine since they JUST renewed it.

It will be hard to live up to season 1 for sure, but I think they could take this a lot of places. I don't think it will be a pin anytime real soon, but I think it would work well as one.

#79 7 years ago

Agreed that they will really need to work at it to live up to Season 1, but after all the questions left unanswered, i would have been a little disappointed if they didn't even try to follow-up on the existing story.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Some more information about season 2 ...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/31/stranger-things-season-2-details-duffer-brothers

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Agreed that they will really need to work at it to live up to Season 1, but after all the questions left unanswered, i would have been a little disappointed if they didn't even try to follow-up on the existing story.

agreed

#82 7 years ago

taken from the article in the link above

James Cameron is a season 2 influence.

"Just as they modeled season 1 after a movie, they look at season two as a blockbuster’s sequel. “I know movie sequels get a lot of s—, but the ones we look up to aspire to pivot and do something different,” explains Matt. “There’s Temple of Doom, Aliens, Terminator 2. I guess a lot of this is James Cameron. But he’s brilliant. And I think one of the reasons his sequels are as successful as they are is he makes them feel very different without losing what we loved about the original. So I think we kinda looked to him and what he does and tried to capture a little bit of the magic of his work.”

my thoughts:

I think this is cool. What about Red Dawn meets Stranger Things? or some type of survival story like Dawn of the Dead? They could open it up in a lot of ways and continue the story of the characters they've established.

They've opened a door to the upside down and who knows what could happen.

1 year later
#83 6 years ago

Does every new pin have to be vintage Rock and sci-fi?

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

This thread was vintage, but you bumped it anyway...

#86 6 years ago

Why not something unique? does every game have to be movie/tv themes? *sigh* everything was better back in the day with games like Swords of Fury and Arena...

1 year later
#88 4 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

Yes, other wise u get this.

44302-willy-wonka (resized).jpg44302-willy-wonka (resized).jpgMV5BOWIxZDgyMTgtYWQ0Ny00Y2Y3LTkwMzEtOTY2MTM3ODY0YzkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_ (MV5BOWIxZDgyMTgtYWQ0Ny00Y2Y3LTkwMzEtOTY2MTM3ODY0YzkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_ (
#89 4 years ago

30 min to go... SWHE or something STRANGER ?!....

#90 4 years ago

just star wars home

#91 4 years ago

Stranger Things is hotter than ever. Every kid in middle school and high school is into it. Especially the girls. It could be an excellent license for Stern, but how many of us old white guys would like it? Count me in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Trade
8,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 10.00
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-pinball-by-next-stern/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.