(Topic ID: 262335)

Stranger Things LE: My journey (and you people are insane)

By pinlawyer

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Cserold
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3pps7w (resized).jpg
20200216_172058 (resized).jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

By the time I had been alerted that my final payment was due and the game was ready to ship, I was nervous. Really. Fucking. Nervous. After all, you people had branded this game a huge turd. The Pinside Mob had irreparably damaged the pin's value and, potentially, the likelihood that Stern would see it through to intended completion. Being the intractable pinball addict that I am, though, I dutifully paid the final $7,000. Two weeks later, the box was in my garage. And two nights ago, I unboxed it with the help of a friend. And we played it.

Straight out of the box, one glitch: when I turned it on, the screen said it couldn't find Node Boards 1 8 9. Oh shit, I thought--I'd have to wait for a part to play the game. But no! The game hasn't since said that, and it was ready. We played. The projector was bright and good. The game was working in all respects. Back legs out all the way to where the bolt sits flat with the end of the little socket inside the leg itself. Backboard lock? Check. Held all three balls three straight times. Demogorgon? Check. During the first game, I made four consecutive shots, and five of seven total. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Pinsiders, go buy this pin on the cheap while its value is low. Fear not.

#2 4 years ago

Glad you like it. I had the exact same reservations when I sent my final payment. My game arrived and is still in the box as our new house gets finished. Hopefully my unpacking experience with everything working is the same as yours.

I'm tempted everyday by the box sitting outside my office. I gave up on the game threads when the UV light debacle hit.

#3 4 years ago

The game is great, I am so glad I purchased my LE 189. I made no adjustments and everything works great out of the box. People who complain they cannot hit the demegorgan in the mouth just suck at pinball. The shot is meant to be challenging. This game ranks in my top 10, projector and music and sounds are top notch.

20200216_172058 (resized).jpg20200216_172058 (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago

I like my pro! Congrats on the LE!

#5 4 years ago

The game is badass! Only going to get better with code updates.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

By the time I had been alerted that my final payment was due and the game was ready to ship, I was nervous. Really. Fucking. Nervous. After all, you people had branded this game a huge turd. The Pinside Mob had irreparably damaged the pin's value and, potentially, the likelihood that Stern would see it through to intended completion. Being the intractable pinball addict that I am, though, I dutifully paid the final $7,000. Two weeks later, the box was in my garage. And two nights ago, I unboxed it with the help of a friend. And we played it.
Straight out of the box, one glitch: when I turned it on, the screen said it couldn't find Node Boards 1 8 9. Oh shit, I thought--I'd have to wait for a part to play the game. But no! The game hasn't since said that, and it was ready. We played. The projector was bright and good. The game was working in all respects. Back legs out all the way to where the bolt sits flat with the end of the little socket inside the leg itself. Backboard lock? Check. Held all three balls three straight times. Demogorgon? Check. During the first game, I made four consecutive shots, and five of seven total. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Completely agree; I played the premium at EAG here in the UK and thought it was a lot of fun. I could have canceled my LE at that stage but decided to keep it.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Straight out of the box, one glitch: when I turned it on, the screen said it couldn't find Node Boards 1 8 9. Oh shit, I thought--I'd have to wait for a part to play the game. But no! The game hasn't since said that, and it was ready.

Was the coin door open when turned it on? cause it will give you that node error now...did that same thing for my Maiden and freaked me out.

Quoted from pinlawyer:

Demogorgon? Check. During the first game, I made four consecutive shots, and five of seven total.

Think unheard the new code awards hits for the demogorgon that don't have to be in its mouth or whatever, so that's an improvement.

Enjoy!

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

The game is great, I am so glad I purchased my LE 189. I made no adjustments and everything works great out of the box. People who complain they cannot hit the demegorgan in the mouth just suck at pinball. The shot is meant to be challenging. This game ranks in my top 10, projector and music and sounds are top notch.[quoted image]

Not entirely true. Stern is replacing the ramp on my pro because it was built with the wrong incline making the shot near impossible. Who knows how many went out with bad ramps.

#9 4 years ago

People need a reason to either be all in or convince themselves they don't need the current release. Stranger Things is a lot of fun, and the projector is pretty cool. People will come around.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

During the first game, I made four consecutive shots, and five of seven total. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

This is a journey? You played it once & declared everyone insane? Alrighty.

Place your bets, everyone - how long until the “FS” post!?

#11 4 years ago

This is a great thread and I felt the same exact feeling with my LE purchase.
In from day one. Dream Theme.
Then, uh-oh. Projector is washed out. Demogorgon is impossible to hit.
Duck and Run!
Nah. Instead, saw it through.
Mine plays very good right out of the box.
Sure, some tweaking/bending is necessary but that’s also every pinball I’ve ever owned.
Very happy about this purchase and cannot wait for the UV lighting and the code updates.

#12 4 years ago

Show me this Stranger Things LE "on the cheap while the value is low". I'll buy!

#13 4 years ago

Pinlawyer,

Glad you made the right decision for you. Enjoy that game, as it is truly the only measure of worth.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

Show me this Stranger Things LE "on the cheap while the value is low". I'll buy!

Gently used LE for sale in Colgate, WI for $8500.
Gobble that thing up before she’s gone!

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Gently used LE for sale in Colgate, WI for $8500.
Gobble that thing up before she’s gone!

$600 off? That's not really "on the cheap".

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

I was nervous. Really. Fucking. Nervous. After all, you people had branded this game a huge turd. The Pinside Mob had irreparably damaged the pin's value

What was there to be nervous about? You have 31 games and worst case the game sucks and you lose a grand or two. You waste more then that on all your mods and bling. First world problems, lol.

#17 4 years ago

Glad you like it! This game won’t lose much value no matter how hard the Anti-Stern naysayers try to bring it down.
It simply earns too well, and that will keep the prices up.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Glad you like it! This game won’t lose much value no matter how hard the Anti-Stern naysayers try to bring it down.
It simply earns too well, and that will keep the prices up.

Earnings have nothing to do with the secondary market for home game buyers. South Park was (and still is) one of the greatest location earners ever...for the longest time you could get them used for less than $2k...it’s still a “cheap” game compared to others.

#19 4 years ago

I’ve got an LE coming. Haven’t been on pinside at all. One thing I hated was how the “upside down” mode seemed to start at random and award a disproportionate amount of points in the mode. Did not like the player having to “earn” that. Any input on this from you guys that know the game?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I’ve got an LE coming. Haven’t been on pinside at all. One thing I hated was how the “upside down” mode seemed to start at random and award a disproportionate amount of points in the mode. Did not like the player having to “earn” that. Any input on this from you guys that know the game?

You are completely right about the upside down as it sits at current code.
It pops up randomly and awards a bunch of points.
My feeling/prediction is that this will be improved with future code to be something that is achieved versus randomly given.
Also, it’s bad ass when it goes into Upside down and the UV lighting is only going to enhance this.

#21 4 years ago

Zero issues with my LE. I’m addicted to the speed of the game I can’t get enough

#22 4 years ago

My feeling/prediction is that this will be improved with future code to be something that is achieved versus randomly given.
Also, it’s bad ass when it goes into Upside down and the UV lighting is only going to enhance this.

Thanks for confirming. Assume they wanted to get the mode in the first release and just did it this way. Pretty major flaw IMO if it doesn’t get fixed in code. Certainly it will. Seems to violate the principles of competitive scoring. Thanks guys!

#23 4 years ago

Yep, sucks pretty hard for our league/knockouts when all players don't get the same opportunity.

#24 4 years ago

I read tournament mode fixes the amount of time you see the upsidedown. Like every X min of play it triggers during tourney mode.

Quoted from grantopia:

Yep, sucks pretty hard for our league/knockouts when all players don't get the same opportunity.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I read tournament mode fixes the amount of time you see the upsidedown. Like every X min of play it triggers during tourney mode.

That still blows IMO

#26 4 years ago

So you have thirty games and was worried about getting this one, and everythings work fine and you're happy it does.

Whats wrong with the current allready established threads?

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Quoted from Cserold:

That still blows IMO

Yeah, that would be better I guess, but the way current scoring is coded, I would just cradle the ball until I got mine ha. Switch hits or something might be better because I have seen a lot of games where whoever lucks into the upside down wins because of the scoring imbalances.

Anyway, thread hijack over!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Seriously?
Have you seen the Stranger Things Thread?
Now that’s a true nightmare right there.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Full of insane people

#30 4 years ago

I don't think a vast majority of criticism about Stranger Things has been about fun factor (that's already proven) but rather it's been due to the games lack of perceived value, quality control, and the UV light kit stunt Stern pulled.

The $hit has finally hit the fan with the price increases, and lack of value + quality control. If money was no object not many people would be complaining about Stranger Things at this point.

To the OP, I'm glad you are enjoying your LE. The LE model does look very cool.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't think a vast majority of criticism about Stranger Things has been about fun factor (that's already proven) but rather it's been due to the games lack of perceived value, quality control, and the UV light kit stunt Stern pulled.
The $hit has finally hit the fan with the price increases, and lack of value + quality control. If money was no object no one would be complaining about Stranger Things at this point.

I respectfully disagree with your last sentence. This is pinside and someone will always find something to complain about.

And, I also don’t agree with your statement about the $hit hitting the fan either. It’s no secret what we paid for the LE and the UV lighting upgrade.
And yet, we owners are saying we are loving it.
Yes, the ones that have the product are enjoying it.
So, the $hit isn’t really hitting the fan.

#32 4 years ago

I respectfully disagree with your last sentence. This is pinside and someone will always find something to complain about.
And, I also don’t agree with your statement about the $hit hitting the fan either. It’s no secret what we paid for the LE and the UV lighting upgrade.

I’ve paid for my LE but haven’t been reading anything about the game. Is the UV lighting an upgrade you have to buy on the LE?

#33 4 years ago

I'm a Pro owner, and absolutely love the game. Actually considering selling and upgrading to a Premium soon. It's the go-to game in our house right now.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I’ve paid for my LE but haven’t been reading anything about the game. Is the UV lighting an upgrade you have to buy on the LE?

Yeah, it’s a kit that gives you two strips of UV lights, 8 UV reactive plastics that replace the ones already installed on games and a replacement bottom arch with some more uv leds built in it.

It’s available via your distributor or directly from Sterns site for an additional $279.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Yeah, that would be better I guess, but the way current scoring is coded, I would just cradle the ball until I got mine ha. Switch hits or something might be better because I have seen a lot of games where whoever lucks into the upside down wins because of the scoring imbalances.
Anyway, thread hijack over!

if all you want is around 20-30 million then that's a fine strategy. There are way more points in going through the modes and demogorgons now. I'll play through them and take advantage of the hurry up if it comes but I don't usually go out of my way for it. 2x multi on isolation can be huge points and just getting there is usually close to 100 mil.

#36 4 years ago

It’s no secret what we paid for the LE and the UV lighting upgrade.

Wait, LE owners are loving their games in the first 4 months?

Finally, some real news around here!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

if all you want is around 20-30 million then that's a fine strategy. There are way more points in going through the modes and demogorgons now. I'll play through them and take advantage of the hurry up if it comes but I don't usually go out of my way for it. 2x multi on isolation can be huge points and just getting there is usually close to 100 mil.

I don't really disagree in general, but it can be a huge disadvantage among similarly matched players. I was playing a game last week against someone on par with my skill level. Ball 3 I got into a second multiball, hit some jackpots, up about 15M feeling good (this was before new code so maybe it's changed). His ball 3 starts, goes into the upside down about 5 seconds after the plunge and smacks the drops for 21M or something. I was like well...ok...

I was being (sort of) hyperbolic when I said I'd just cradle up, but it's frustrating that you might not even get a shot at it when your opponent does. In casual play it's obviously kind of neat and invokes the theme of the show very nicely, but it's kind of defeating when you're not afforded the same chance to try and capitalize.

#38 4 years ago

Cool story pinlawyer , but aren’t there like a billion other Stranger Things threads you could post this in?

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

While it's value is low? Last time I checked it's still 9K.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

While it's value is low? Last time I checked it's still 9K.

Was curious about this as well. Like I said, I paid for one but these things ain’t appreciating.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I don't really disagree in general, but it can be a huge disadvantage among similarly matched players. I was playing a game last week against someone on par with my skill level. Ball 3 I got into a second multiball, hit some jackpots, up about 15M feeling good (this was before new code so maybe it's changed). His ball 3 starts, goes into the upside down about 5 seconds after the plunge and smacks the drops for 21M or something. I was like well...ok...
I was being (sort of) hyperbolic when I said I'd just cradle up, but it's frustrating that you might not even get a shot at it when your opponent does. In casual play it's obviously kind of neat and invokes the theme of the show very nicely, but it's kind of defeating when you're not afforded the same chance to try and capitalize.

I have a feeling that for competition leagues will require the competition mode. Just hold down the left flipper before starting the game. I'm not sure what it all does right now but it's supposed to remove the randomization on that and the mystery shot for all players. The upside down, from what I can tell, is triggered by switch hits. Rip that spinner and go to the pops to get it quicker When going for higher scores I'm less likely to go for the center two drops when it comes up. Just so dangerous a shot.

#42 4 years ago

Thanks for the enthusiastic, just starting the honeymoon review.

I suppose if I liked the theme, and the look of the thing, and the sounds of the thing, and the gameplay of the thing, and even the price of the thing, I would be just as enthusiastic and buy one too.

#43 4 years ago

Hey Ninja, how's it going? To be fair, there are a lot of people who've played Stranger Things on location and don't like it. It's not just side-liners. Most of the people who've played it, and don't like it, said the demogorgon shot was unmakeable on the machines they played. Sounds like setup and QC is a huge factor with enjoyment on this one. Feels great if you're making that shot, feels awful if the ball won't go in. (That's what she said.)

For example, I just listened to Mrs. Pin's latest podcast, and she and Doctor Pin played a STS for an hour+ at a bar, and they both felt like the game was a real miss. For a number of reasons (including an impossible demo-shot). And Mrs. Pin is a self-proclaimed fan of the Stranger Things show, and a fan of Stern games in general. So there are legitimate reasons and nuance to the hate that STS is getting, it's not all just blind anti-stern prejudice and bandwagonism.

I wonder if any locations in or near Sioux Falls will get one? That way I can try it out for myself.

#44 4 years ago

Sup dude?
Play your cards right and maybe you can swing by the game room and play an LE in a controlled environment.

I just did a quick test and it really is important to have this pin at 7.0 pitch and level. If you put the bubble in the middle, at 6.5, you’re not going to make the demo shot and the left ramp isn’t going to work either. And, that makes for a miserable experience.

In terms of my comments above, I’ll stick to them that I am personally pleased by the way this pin plays out of the box.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

The opportunity to what, flail at the center death targets and drain?

You may be better off avoiding it. I would describe that mode as high risk, medium reward.

#46 4 years ago

Also love this game. Hoping to have a pro in my collection some day.

#47 4 years ago

Sup dude?
Play your cards right and maybe you can swing by the game room and play an LE in a controlled environment.

I just did a quick test and it really is important to have this pin at 7.0 pitch and level. If you put the bubble in the middle, at 6.5, you’re not going to make the demo shot and the left ramp isn’t going to work either. And, that makes for a miserable experience.
In terms of my comments above, I’ll stick to them that I am personally pleased by the way this pin plays out of the box.

Sounds good! I'm glad that you're enjoying yours; your experience seems to corroborate what I've been hearing in regards to game setup. For me, as long as things go according to plan, I'll be adding a Mousin' Around to my collection this weekend. It's players condition, but the price was very good, and I'm excited. Should be a lot of fun. Hopefully, it'll be a hit with my daughter.

I only bought my first pin in December, and now I'm working on growing and improving my collection as time goes by. Eventually I'll work my way up to newer Sterns.

#48 4 years ago

3pps7w (resized).jpg3pps7w (resized).jpg

Don't know the show and don't really have an opinion about the game either way, but more power to those who love it!

#49 4 years ago

Premium on order! Can’t wait! Game looks amazing and a lot of new firsts! Love it

#50 4 years ago

Yeah took me a bit to get into it, but it's a fun game. Had the same feeling with guardians. In other words, it wasn't damn this is awesome after the first ball. Few things I really liked and a few things I really didn't. Once you learn how to get around the cheap drains its turns into a fun game.
The right orbit shot is a bit clunkified, all the others are good. I personally thought the projector is really neat, no issues in a bright room. harder to see the ramps but everything else showed up fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects
Decals
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Cruz, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-le-my-journey-and-you-people-are-insane?hl=cdonnerusmc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.