Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dahlman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Seriously considering buying a premium as I’ve heard some good things about this game lately. And it seems like it’s AFM 2.0 which I love. Have your opinions of this game changed since the initial backlash? Is it hard to move these games in the used market? Appreciate your thoughts!

#2 3 years ago

No! The entire show is based on 80’s nostalgia and it has literally zero of that in the game. So unless the new code added the music, the assets of arcades, and Halloween ghostbusters, etc., then it doesn’t capture any of the best part of the show.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

No! The entire show is based on 80’s nostalgia and it has literally zero of that in the game. So unless the new code added the music, the assets of arcades, and Halloween ghostbusters, etc., then it doesn’t capture any of the best part of the show.

Does the cleland code solve any of these issues?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Does the cleland code solve any of these issues?

It shouldnt have to.

#5 3 years ago

Unless you are truly a big fan of the show, I think you are getting a lot of the same game-play experience from your AFM re.

#6 3 years ago

I think it's fun. A location near me has both a pro and a premium and I still enjoy playing them. Location is a pinch bright though. I think in a darker setting the projector on the premium would be awesome.

#7 3 years ago

I love the show but what attracts me to this game is the AFM style gameplay and all the innovative features like the projector and UV kit. Just seems awesome!

#8 3 years ago

I own a pro and don’t really like the game much. It’s fine but when you stack it against all the good games that have come out recently, it’s severely lacking in theme integration, fun and unique shots, and the rules aren’t great IMO.

The premium I’m sure looks better but it’s still the same meh game

I think being a big fan of the show would make you dislike this game more. The team claims they are big fans of the show but I don’t think that shows. I got this game from a friend that is also a big fan of the show and he was also very let down by it.

#10 3 years ago

Any other fans of the game?

#11 3 years ago

I wouldn’t say it’s bad to play... just kinda ehh. Still a premium or LE with the UV light kit sure is neat to look at!

#12 3 years ago

We picked up an LE in the last few months. My family and I all love it! First game that my one son actually played for a few hours with me. I never played one before getting ours so I had no expectations. I can see the similarities between it and AFM for sure, but they are also 2 totally different games.

#13 3 years ago

I wanted to like the game so much. It just seemed clunky to me and like not a whole lot was going on. I think by far the worst part is the generic voice callouts. The worst one for me is Replay! It sounds like they couldn’t be any less excited while also trying to convince you they are excited.

#14 3 years ago

We love our pro. Of course we love the show as well. The game has come a long way from release but I think the biggest problem is setup issues. If you can't hit the demogorgon reliably you miss more than half the game. It is not meant to be a near impossible shot and I spent a tremendous amount of time getting my machine working. Then there are the orbit feeds that need adjustment and ops are not going to spend the time an owner will to get the game playing well.

Watch the deadflip streams where he gets to the wizard modes. That really shows what this game is about.

#15 3 years ago

It was a fine shooter but I love the show and it seemed clear as day to me the theme was phoned in.

#16 3 years ago

I bought a premium two weeks ago and am extremely pleased with it. Smooth, smooth shots. Code update just released. Really well-done modes. Projector and UV lighting are very cool. I highly recommend the game.

#17 3 years ago

I think it’s a really fun machine and think the theme is integrated good. I’m having trouble understanding the negativity with this title. Fun modes, mini wizard modes, good balance of single-ball play and multiball. The premium/le is a must, as is the uv kit.

#18 3 years ago

This is one game where it is Premium/LE or nothing.

#19 3 years ago

I've got an LE and it's played the most out of our collection by far. With the UV kit and projector, it really comes alive and once you dial in the TK mech, its a brilliant game. The only game I have ever owned that I have played daily for over 6 months.

#20 3 years ago

I have a pro really like it! Stern UV kit is awesome!

AFM is still a much better game though. AFM and MM can’t be beat

#21 3 years ago

Any comment though on how the code has significantly changed? Short summary of what really makes a diff?

#22 3 years ago

I think it’s a fun game.

I’m betting this is going to be one of those machines like Walking Dead or Guardians of the Galaxy that had a rough start and winds up being a gem.

I imagine it’s a matter of time before someone comes out with a code revision with actors voices and music from the show.

#23 3 years ago

Looks fun, but I still have not been able to play this game, especially with covid.

#24 3 years ago

Game is decent but the lock mechanism is an absolute fail. It only works 70% best case scenario and causes a lot of wear on the plastic back drop. Projector is cool.

#25 3 years ago

I've owned mine 6 weeks - premium - love it. Got the uv kit in and am enjoying the game immensely.

#26 3 years ago

We have had the pro since the initial release, as I must emphasize we are having an incredible time w/ it. Everyone who experiences this machine has an uncontrollable compulsive urge to push the start button again.

There have been 5 to 6 code releases along w/ the UV Kit option. Once the code hit the Upside Down UV Mode, the entire game started to take shape. At this point, the game feels like a journey into the Stanger Things World.

The modes included are > Demogorgon, (5) Demodog, (3) Send It Back & (6) Light My Fire (6). The mini wizards are > Total Isolation 1 & 2, Light My Fire & Send It Back. Plus the wizard ~ Send It Back!!!

Though we have limited space, (3 machines) this game is here to stay. Normally the machines come & go, for we want to have a variety. This one is exceptional w/ the deep rules, layout & overall experience. This machine is excellent for home use, as I highly recommend Stranger Things!!!

#27 3 years ago

I have LE and am a big fan of the game.

Minuses
- The TK lock (prem/le) is poorly designed and requires a lot of work to get working properly. What needs to be done is now documented but most of the games out there, including many that are streamed, it isn't working well or at all. That said once it is dialed it is great, but many owners seem to lack the time and/or technical ability to fix this issue. I'm convinced this is a lot of the reason the game gets a bad rap.
- Similarly it takes some adjustment to make it so the demogorgon shot can be made.
- Some of the modes (e.g. monster hunting) seem uninspired and others (e.g. follow the compass) aren't worth very many points and there is little incentive for finishing them vs. just timing out the mode. They have made some progress in this regard with code updates. The code isn't finished yet so there is hope for improvement.
- Needs a mode for Billy getting some MILF action

Pluses
- It shoots very well (Similar to AFM) at least once the left ramp TK lock shot is working.
- The projector is a cool effect that works well. People who complain about the reflectivity of the screen or brightness of the projector are either playing in direct sunlight or haven't really experienced the game.
- The demogorgon is a really cool toy. One of the best in pinball. There are 4 drops, then behind that a central shot and 2 angled standup, then the ramp can come down which allows shots hitting the demogorgon to be registered independent of shots to the mouth. So essentially 9 possible shots with this one toy. It also fits the theme as the demogorgon appears to come through a wall.
- The projection of the expanding circles on the spinner and the sound of the spinner makes this one of the most satisfying spinners to hit in pinball.
- The UV light and projector effects for the upside down modes fit the theme perfectly. This gives the feel of another world while maintaining the good shots of a full sized playfield. Some mini or lower playfield would not have worked nearly as well.
- There are some great modes in this game and a lot of potential for stacking.
- I think the game fits the theme of the show well. It has the original actors as well as custom callouts. There is good alternative code with some different music and callouts if you want it. For this theme I much prefer this to doing some cartoon version of the them as they have done with others.
- When non pinball people come over this is often the machine they gravitate to in my 20 game collection. The theme is red hot among kids also.

The comparison between AFM and MM always comes up. I've owned both these. My MMR was sold a few years ago and my AFM is probably the next to go. These are 20+ year old games. They shoot great, and the nostalgia factor is real but the rules are much simpler. In MM shooting the castle the whole game is pretty much the strategy, in AFM going ship all the time is dangerous and probably not the best but still a reasonable strategy. Some people like this, and in fact when non pinball players play NST they have complained to me that they want to shoot at the demogorgon and wonder why it is only available during a few modes. NST has a lot more depth in the home environment.

#28 3 years ago

I got an LE in February and installed the UV kit and glow bands from Titan. I'm not lying when I tell you it's the game I play the most, and I have it sitting next to a JPLE that I had gotten only four months earlier. When I go to the basement to play, it's almost always to play a few games of STh. I've got the cleland code installed, and that makes it even better. Yes...it takes FAR more tweaking than most games (although I'm still tweaking my JP and my SW and GOT were both a nightmare out of the box), but there's a fun factor and replayability on this game that I just don't have on my other games. Think AFM on steroids. I've got a blinged out restored AFM, and it sits unplayed. I like this game a lot more...and it's got one of the best multiball starts of any modern game.

EDIT: The Pinside negativity around here would dictate that people will think I'm just price-pumping because I own the game. Not true. I have no plans to sell it and realize the value has tanked. I'm fine with that because I've played the snot out of the thing.

#29 3 years ago

Here's a cut/paste of a comment I made previously in a response to a JP/STh comparison question:
"I had a JP pro for about six months. Sold it and used the money for a STh pro. Probably one of the best trades I have done. JP is unique and impressive, but just wasn't satisfying to me from either a layout or code standpoint (yes, I am aware I am an oddball in that). STh on the other hand actually surprised me by being even better than I expected. Fairly standard but very satisfying layout, but then you throw in getting to launch a freaking ball into a freaking monster's mouth! The code has come so far, and while it isn't anything earth shattering, it is a lot of fun, utilizes the entire playfield in unique ways, and has a ton of different things to do. Even the demogorgan modes which are just a "side thing" are quite varied. There are five of them, all with killing the demogorgan as the central goal, yet each one is entirely different and unique. The main modes are fun, and there are a lot of them, each different, and they build wonderfully to mini-wizard mode "check points" along the way. That way, even in a non-great game you can likely at least get to a Total Isolation mode and feel like you accomplished something. It's just a great progression. And some of the modes, especially as you get deeper in the game, get INTENSE! I love the atmosphere this game creates. The lighting and sound effects are killer. Great game all around, and one that I think was written off by many people way too quickly."

Also, I really do not understand when people complain about the theme integration on this one. Like so many shows or movies, Stranger Things has multiple major themes. Yes, one is the funny, heartwarming, coming-of-age story of the kids. That is not what they focused on here (though it does pop up wonderfully in a few modes). Instead they focused on the dark, atmospheric, spooky side of the story. They nailed that 100%. In my personal opinion, when people add arcade signs, video games, even the Blazer and Camaro mods to their game, it stands out against the art and atmosphere that this game focuses on (I'm glad they make some of you happy though!). I haven't even tried the Cleland sound mod as to me, those songs would stand out. Yes, they were in the show, but they were used in appropriate places. That just doesn't jive with what the game is about to me (that said, I should at least give it a try as I know Cleland puts a lot of effort into how he integrates his code). In my opinion I can't think of very many games that I would say have better theme integration...it's just apparently not the side of the theme that many of you hoped for. It would be like if they made Princess Bride and instead of focusing on the action and adventure, they chose to focus on the love story and character development. That just wouldn't make sense for a pinball game. If you love the dark side of the show, you should love this game.

#30 3 years ago

I played the Pro back in March, liked the way it shot but the code wasn't really there yet. I have a R&M due before Xmas but decided on impulse to pick up a Premium last week to help get us through the winter as my wife is a big fan of the show and there isn't much else going on at the moment. Installed the UV kit on the weekend and so far no regrets at all about the purchase.

It isn't the deepest game, but has plenty to do and shoots incredibly well. Love the left orbit to right ramp shot, it's very satisfying. The projector is pretty cool even if it isn't a total game changer, and the UV kit is stunning especially with Titan glow rubbers. It's a nice change of pace from the deeper / more complex games like JPLE and JJP POTC that have been getting most of my playtime so far this year, and I'm having a ton of fun with it. It's a great game to play in a dark room after a few beers, that's for sure.

I think people did write this title off a bit too soon, but for understandable reasons. The combination of early code / production issues / UV kit as an addon purchase kind of killed the enthusiasm pretty damn quickly, and I have to admit I never really thought I'd end up buying one. Glad I did though, it's turned into a solid game with great atmosphere and a great lightshow.

Cleland sound mod does massively improve the game too. Everyone owner should give it a go.

2 weeks later
#31 3 years ago

Played the LE last weekend with latest code, UV kit, clear sound. Good shooter and cool experience in a dark space - impressed especially given how it was initially received.

#32 3 years ago

It's one of my favorite games in my collection. There is nothing like it that I have seen. UV lights and shooting the ball into the demogorgan. It's so much fun. Even better with the special code one of the members here did for it. I find it addicting.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Played the LE last weekend with latest code, UV kit, clear sound. Good shooter and cool experience in a dark space - impressed especially given how it was initially received.

I've found Pinside almost always has it completely backwards. If a game comes out to initial praise, that usually cools off. And the ones that get trashed on release usually develop into pretty awesome games. You've just gotta be patient.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've found Pinside almost always has it completely backwards. If a game comes out to initial praise, that usually cools off. And the ones that get trashed on release usually develop into pretty awesome games. You've just gotta be patient.

As a Houdini owner I know this well.

1 year later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects
Decals
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mount Washington, KY
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 49.99
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-is-it-good-now?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.