(Topic ID: 259155)

Stranger things fixes(please keep everything else in the other thread)

By PINQUEST

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by MJK-911
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A393FD1E-EFF3-4BF8-8496-74F4C4DF4D22 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210815-112423_Chrome (resized).jpg
89926EDC-604A-4D2E-95EC-F2538F1C27C8 (resized).jpeg
750BB1AC-C07E-43CD-A1DD-2850046A60F6 (resized).jpeg
20200222_124825 (resized).jpg
20200222_124821 (resized).jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Hey all. Starting this because the other stranger things thread has a TON of posts and it’s difficult to find posts about fixes.

Anyways... what are people doing to address

*the mouth shot. Should it have more or less pitch to successfully hit?

*orbits hitting slings OR opposite flipper. Are people simply bending the guides?

*gates. Have seen multiple people say the one-way gate that comes out from demogorgan is falling off consistently. what are people doing to fix this?

*ball lock. White lock post is flying out of the plunger. I have turned mine on to virtual lock for the time being.

Thanks for any advice/solutions!

#3 4 years ago

Is it just the screws coming loose for the ball gate? Mine hasn’t arrived yet but if it’s just the screws maybe some blue lock tite?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Dimples? Lolol

lol dimples are what they are at this point. Sucks to see for the first few weeks however over time they do seem to all flatten out and look flat.

Quoted from pinballkyle:

Is it just the screws coming loose for the ball gate? Mine hasn’t arrived yet but if it’s just the screws maybe some blue lock tite?

unfortunately no, its more the actual swinging gate falling off. On ours it catches a washer, gets stuck in a weird position, then a ball impact knocks it off. Stern is sending me a new gate. Not sure if the wrong gate was installed to be honest. Luckily Stern has amazing service and they are helping/know how frustrating this is for us.

#5 4 years ago

Gotcha. I’ll be putting mine on route, so hopefully they do a service bulliten on it as it seems pretty common.

Quoted from PINQUEST:lol dimples are what they are at this point. Sucks to see for the first few weeks however over time they do seem to all flatten out and look flat.

unfortunately no, its more the actual swinging gate falling off. On ours it catches a washer, gets stuck in a weird position, then a ball impact knocks it off. Stern is sending me a new gate. Not sure if the wrong gate was installed to be honest. Luckily Stern has amazing service and they are helping/know how frustrating this is for us.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

@dg_amuse posted a fix for the demogorgon shot at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/68#post-5385952

I can vouch for this fix as prior it was impossible (<5%) to hit on purpose and now it is very doable (>75%). Made the game feel much more compelling and rewarding (versus feeling like you were being cheated and getting frustrated).

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

@dg_amuse posted a fix for the demogorgon shot at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/68#post-5385952
I can vouch for this fix as prior it was impossible (<5%) to hit on purpose and now it is very doable (>75%). Made the game feel much more compelling and rewarding (versus feeling like you were being cheated and getting frustrated).

Thank you!

#8 4 years ago

Can we add pictures for the above things as well like the gate?

I have a cure for the dimples to....totally stripping and reclearing the playfield before I run one ball on it!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

Pitch isn’t changing anything for us. Our misses too high when dead on accurate. Lucky shots are the only ones going in.

Even on new code we are trying different flipper powers all over the place and still it’s unmakable unless you’re extremely lucky.

It’s like our demo toy needs raised up like an 1/8 of an inch and it will be fine.

1 week later
#10 4 years ago

I ended up removing the gate under the demo after hearing balls kept getting stuck (on location). The one way gate that stops left to right under demo had come half loose. From what I can tell there doesn’t seem to be a downside to this. On the occasions where shots to left-inner mystery shot hit and go right (where gate would have stopped) they just roll back to the left kick out like they should. Has anybody else tried playing without that gate? Anything I should look out for?

#11 4 years ago

I would say just play it and see what happens. I can’t think a reason why it should be necessary to have it either.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Mravic:

I ended up removing the gate under the demo after hearing balls kept getting stuck (on location). The one way gate that stops left to right under demo had come half loose. From what I can tell there doesn’t seem to be a downside to this. On the occasions where shots to left-inner mystery shot hit and go right (where gate would have stopped) they just roll back to the left kick out like they should. Has anybody else tried playing without that gate? Anything I should look out for?

I just did the same on mine. Just had a service call because that gate came loose on the one side and was holding balls up. Any issues after removing yours? I’ll report back if we see any problems here.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Mravic:

Any update on this fix? I am going to try it on the one on route here. At this point it can't hurt. The game has been down as much as it has been up with the lock post coming out now twice and the horrible control gate design that traps the ball and even a ball search won't release it. I'm shocked that a game like Stranger Things has so many problems when there is nothing to the game.

Then I get to work on Elivra, that house is a steaming pile. That game is worse than Stranger Things to keep working correctly, but at least there is a little something to it. Coffin issues, multiple house issues. A premium game with a premium price tag shouldn't have this many problems out of the box.

This route has all Stern games and from a maintenance perspective you can see the decline in quality. They have all the newest Sterns, but they are 0-2 here with the last two new releases now. I thought they brought a new QA director in house and things were supposed to get better? They are lucky that the operator I help out has a weird loyalty to them, I wouldn't buy this stuff to put on route if it was me paying for the games.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Mravic:

What's the easiest way to do this? Did you have to take off the demo and the screen and plastics/housing there? Or is there an easier way to accomplish this?

#15 4 years ago

I just received my STh's & the gate popped off & obstructed the ball within the first five games. I simply pulled out the upper left wire piece so there was more length for it to fit in the hole firmly. I did this without removing anything, as the right side gate is secured firmly on that side. It's a bit difficult to wedge your fingers underneath the ramp where the gate is, but this is easier to do that taking everything apart. Haven't had a problem since, after 50+ games.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

I just received my STh's & the gate popped off & obstructed the ball within the first five games. I simply pulled out the upper left wire piece so there was more length for it to fit in the hole firmly. I did this without removing anything, as the right side gate is secured firmly on that side. It's a bit difficult to wedge your fingers underneath the ramp where the gate is, but this is easier to do that taking everything apart. Haven't had a problem since, after 50+ games.

Exactly what I did to mine. No issues with that since. I am having an issue in the upper right pops area. Seams weak shots up the right orbit can sometimes fall.on the right pop.and not cause it to go off. Must be an adjustment issue. Have not had time to lift the playfield to look tho

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Exactly what I did to mine. No issues with that since. I am having an issue in the upper right pops area. Seams weak shots up the right orbit can sometimes fall.on the right pop.and not cause it to go off. Must be an adjustment issue. Have not had time to lift the playfield to look tho

Hmm, I'm not really having that issue much; is it a leveling issue? I feel like this game needs to be leveled perfectly for it to truly play right.

I'll try the to finagle the wire:

So pull the excess wire from above the playfield? Or Underneath?

Thx in advance, glad to hear this is a rather easy fix.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I would simply adjust your pop bumper switches. They are gapped too far apart, on a weak hit against the pops the switch is not sensitive enough to trigger the pop. Just adjust the switches in closer together & this will no longer be an issue.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Yep this is what I did as well.

2 weeks later
#20 4 years ago

Any tweaks to help with the magnet lock? I've only had a few games on mine but had a bunch of misses..

#21 4 years ago

I removed the hex post from the front of Demogorgon. Working better now.

#22 4 years ago

Following this thread. Digging into a bunch of smaller issues this weekend on my LE, hoping to get things dialed in and will report back

#23 4 years ago

It’s super sad you need to “dig into” a $9000 pinball machine to get it to work proper sorry to hear you too are having issues.

Quoted from bemmett:

Following this thread. Digging into a bunch of smaller issues this weekend on my LE, hoping to get things dialed in and will report back

#24 4 years ago

Fuck stern! I’m out!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

It’s super sad you need to “dig into” a $9000 pinball machine to get it to work proper sorry to hear you too are having issues.

This isn’t another stern bashing thread guys. We’re here to help each other out with the issues. All pinball machines need tweaks, if you’ve bought a game from the 90s you know this.

#26 4 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. About to pick up a Premium and was wondering what issues have cropped up that I'd need to address out of the box.

#27 4 years ago

See here for a checklist stern provided us to dialing in the magnet and lock diverter.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

#28 4 years ago

We got our LE in 2 days ago. The projector isn’t working. Support has no clue. The projector will display a default screen if you unplug the hdmi cord. I also tried to hook up a small tv directly to the cpu and no video. I swapped the cpu from Elvira LE and still no video. So they are sending us a new cpu and projector

#29 4 years ago

Is anyone having issues with the ball travel to the magnetic lock ramp.. my machine is level and I’m hitting the ramp clean but when ball lock is on it doesn’t seem to want to travel over the component that helps toss it up on the magnetic wall. It’s actually driving me nuts.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Tricyclejon:

Is anyone having issues with the ball travel to the magnetic lock ramp.. my machine is level and I’m hitting the ramp clean but when ball lock is on it doesn’t seem to want to travel over the component that helps toss it up on the magnetic wall. It’s actually driving me nuts.

See here for a checklist stern provided us to dialing in the magnet and lock diverter.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

Good luck. It’s a fickle bitch for sure.

#31 4 years ago

Thanks Chuck.

#32 4 years ago

Anyone experience this or have an answer for me otherwise?

Playing latest code update and noticed that I cant stack extra balls.

So basically it will give me the 1st extra ball but if I light and capture a second extra ball it does not award it after receiving the first extra ball.

Thanks for the input in advance

#33 4 years ago

After one week on location I have an issue with the 2 optos (left down post lock 1 and 2)
The 2 switchs doesnt work. After a closer look at the receiver board, I see that the phototransistor are gone. On the 2 boards !

20200222_124821 (resized).jpg20200222_124821 (resized).jpg20200222_124825 (resized).jpg20200222_124825 (resized).jpg
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from rv68:

After one week on location I have an issue with the 2 optos (left down post lock 1 and 2)
The 2 switchs doesnt work. After a closer look at the receiver board, I see that the phototransistor are gone. On the 2 boards ![quoted image][quoted image]Did they break from vibration? I’ve never seen that problem before. What’s the front of the board look like?

#35 4 years ago

What does the other side of the board look like?

#36 4 years ago

Has anyone had any issues with the drop targets not dropping? the far left drop target doesnt drop several times a game with a dead on hit. it will drop fine when hitting at an angle or a soft dead on shot.

#37 4 years ago

Standard. Drop targets have been bricking for their entire existence. Crazy no one has been able to figure it out how to fix that by now.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Standard. Drop targets have been bricking for their entire existence. Crazy no one has been able to figure it out how to fix that by now.

thank you. i just found it odd that its only the far left, i dont think i have seen it happen on any other one.

#39 4 years ago

It will happen on any of them from time to time. You don’t notice it on other games because they are usually out on the sides of the game so it’s less likely you’ll get a dead straight on shot.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

Has anyone had any issues with the drop targets not dropping? the far left drop target doesnt drop several times a game with a dead on hit. it will drop fine when hitting at an angle or a soft dead on shot.

Lower the flipper power setting. Instead of bashing them at 255 setting try 200 and watch the airballs go away too.

#41 4 years ago

Any tips for getting the feed from the orbits correct? My left orbit hits the sling 50% of the time. And the right orbit it kind of all over the place, mostly at the top of the post of the right sling.

I've tried more pitch, less pitch. It seems level L-to-R.

#42 4 years ago

Mess with the guides themselves as well as add a rubber to the post on the shooter lane gate.

750BB1AC-C07E-43CD-A1DD-2850046A60F6 (resized).jpeg750BB1AC-C07E-43CD-A1DD-2850046A60F6 (resized).jpeg89926EDC-604A-4D2E-95EC-F2538F1C27C8 (resized).jpeg89926EDC-604A-4D2E-95EC-F2538F1C27C8 (resized).jpeg
#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Any tweaks to help with the magnet lock? I've only had a few games on mine but had a bunch of misses..

I increased the magnet power from 48 to 60 and now it’s a lot more consistent.

#44 4 years ago

Thanks for the info @chuckwurt. Forgive the next couple stupid questions. I’m very new... this is my first pin

Where does one get those rubbers for the post?

And when you say mess with guides... just start bending things? Which things? I’m hesitant but obviously would love for the feeds to be cleaner.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from arsmith7:

Where does one get those rubbers for the post?

Titan pinball. Buy a bulk set and you’ll have tons for when you need them in the future.

Quoted from arsmith7:

And when you say mess with guides... just start bending things? Which things?

See if you can adjust the ends of the guides so they guide the ball more towards the flippers.

I didn’t have to touch mine. Just an idea.

#46 4 years ago

Anybody else having issues with direct bash hits not registering on a Pro Demogorgon? Sometimes it will be working fine and deducting health with each hit, other times hits refuse to register 5 times in a row. Is there a switch adjustment here anyone has done to make the bash hits more reliable? Thanks.

#47 4 years ago

The switch that registers hits is an opto type sensor that points straight up in the air that is under the plastic right in front of the Demo. Put in switch test and make sure that is working right. I have noticed though that the hits will register but you'll get no sound effect at all or it will come way after you have hit the demo.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The switch that registers hits is an opto type sensor that points straight up in the air that is under the plastic right in front of the Demo. Put in switch test and make sure that is working right. I have noticed though that the hits will register but you'll get no sound effect at all or it will come way after you have hit the demo.

Thanks Chuck. We'll try testing and cleaning that opto.

#49 4 years ago

FWIW, on the left orbit I just used a screwdriver and pried the end of the guide out the smallest amount, over and over until it didn't trigger the sling. Was a bit nervous but it was so minor I can't tell and now the game plays a whole lot cleaner.

#50 4 years ago

Need a little help here. Downloaded and installed the new 0.86 code and now the demogorgon modes start without hitting the drops. When a ball goes in the pops, hits a switch or sometimes just when I flip it cycles through "will look out run" and begins the next mode/multiball without hitting any of the drop targets. I've tried the LE and premium files, but they do the same thing. Thoughts? The download may be coincidental and this could be switch related or due to a short perhaps. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-fixesplease-keep-everything-else-in-the-other-thread?hl=dontpanicflip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.