(Topic ID: 259155)

Stranger things fixes(please keep everything else in the other thread)

By PINQUEST

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by MJK-911
  • Topic is favorited by 32 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A393FD1E-EFF3-4BF8-8496-74F4C4DF4D22 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210815-112423_Chrome (resized).jpg
89926EDC-604A-4D2E-95EC-F2538F1C27C8 (resized).jpeg
750BB1AC-C07E-43CD-A1DD-2850046A60F6 (resized).jpeg
20200222_124825 (resized).jpg
20200222_124821 (resized).jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

You have a switch issue at the drops. I’d start there. The code isn’t the issue unless you put the wrong code in your game.

Put the game in switch test and see if those switches register when you put the ball in the pops or pound the playfield with you fist bear the drops.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You have a switch issue at the drops. I’d start there. The code isn’t the issue unless you put the wrong code in your game.
Put the game in switch test and see if those switches register when you put the ball in the pops or pound the playfield with you fist bear the drops.

Thanks. Yeah I downloaded the correct code. I agree that it sounds like a switch issue but was just weird that it happened to pop up immediately after the code update.

I’ll see what I can figure out and report back.

#53 4 years ago

K. It appears switch 74, Center Ln Opto was activated. Unplugged connector and problem solved. Wiggled opto and wires, plugged back in and now it works. Maybe the opto was just barely out of adjustment for the hole.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

K. It appears switch 74, Center Ln Opto was activated. Unplugged connector and problem solved. Wiggled opto and wires, plugged back in and now it works. Maybe the opto was just barely out of adjustment for the hole.

update. problem persists after multiple adjustments to opto 74 (emitter side). going to replace and hopefully that will solve the issue.

on a different note, stern support has been great.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

update. problem persists after multiple adjustments to opto 74 (emitter side). going to replace and hopefully that will solve the issue.

I had a bad opto out of the box, had bad solder joints. I pulled it and removed all solder and then reflowed and it’s good now.

2 weeks later
#56 4 years ago

Hey
Having a issue with the mystery ball lock under the left ramp!! It locks the ball, goes down to let it thru but then it seems to be coming back up to quick and the ball seems to get wedged as it’s coming thru.. wondering if anyone has any adjustment advice?!
Thanks

db

#57 4 years ago

Check your level or even slightly leaning left. What incline is your playfield at? Mines at 6.5 degrees and level and no issues with it being hit.

#58 4 years ago

Yeah that post shouldn’t touch the ball when it comes back up. Make sure your game is level or give it just a slight lean to the left to allow the ball to get out of the way before that post comes back up.

1 month later
#59 3 years ago

I just unboxed a new premium and the demogorgan is not registering bash hits. I unplugged and reconnected connectors to the gorgon, as well as the optic near the gorgon. Is this something that I will have to tear down the gorgon assembly to fix?

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from FlawlessJS:

I just unboxed a new premium and the demogorgan is not registering bash hits. I unplugged and reconnected connectors to the gorgon, as well as the optic near the gorgon. Is this something that I will have to tear down the gorgon assembly to fix?

Do you have the code up to date? Early code did not register bash hits.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Do you have the code up to date? Early code did not register bash hits.

Yes. Running 0.92

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from FlawlessJS:

Yes. Running 0.92

Doh! Do they register is test?

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Doh! Do they register is test?

It does not.

1 week later
#64 3 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

I just did the same on mine. Just had a service call because that gate came loose on the one side and was holding balls up. Any issues after removing yours? I’ll report back if we see any problems here.

I pulled mine out too and no issues since.

#65 3 years ago

Installed UV kit but had an issue getting all the tiny Philip screws and washers to attach to the uv and ramps on both sides. Had to leave one out. Any tips or anyone else having issues with the UV kit install?

#66 3 years ago

No issues here, but I don’t think leaving one out is going to be a big deal. It’s pretty secure.

#67 3 years ago

I left the middle screw on the left ramp out as it didn't line up correctly.
Put a piece of double sided adhesive tape on it and so far hasn't been a problem.

2 months later
#68 3 years ago

Help with the TK Ball Lock!!!!!!!!!
just got the Premium ST's machine yesterday, the TK ball lock doesn't seem to be working.

I've sent the ball up there about 20 times and it's locked with the magnet once. I can see that rod has a little movement, but it isn't doing the job.
it's a brand new machine, should I give it some more tries or is there something wrong I need to fix??

I'm a newbie, so dumb it down people!! LOL

any help is appreciated.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from sudbeckrn:

Help with the TK Ball Lock!!!!!!!!!
just got the Premium ST's machine yesterday, the TK ball lock doesn't seem to be working.
I've sent the ball up there about 20 times and it's locked with the magnet once. I can see that rod has a little movement, but it isn't doing the job.
it's a brand new machine, should I give it some more tries or is there something wrong I need to fix??
I'm a newbie, so dumb it down people!! LOL
any help is appreciated.

Go look at the other ST thread at the key post that is saved in the thread. Follow the instructions and look at the pics chuckwurt has posted along with the stern instruction pdf on that post. You can get it dialed in perfect using that guide.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

1 month later
#70 3 years ago

I was having issues with the left orbit ball guide feeding to the sling and sling post so I decided to make a tutorial on how to fix it. I have played over 20 games and have not had any issues since. I hope this helps anyone who is having this issue.

3 months later
#71 3 years ago

After lifting the playfield numerous times my projector is out of alignment. It's slightly up and to the right. How do I fix this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 weeks later
#72 3 years ago

Should the TK rod wiggle by hand when it is in resting position? Haven't seen this mentioned, but lots concerning the accurate position once extended.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#73 3 years ago

A little play in it is normal.

6 months later
#74 2 years ago

Has anyone experienced issues with the right ramp opto? I received a new one from stern and it did not fix the problem. Very frustrating! Lmk.

RR

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from Renostl:

Has anyone experienced issues with the right ramp opto? I received a new one from stern and it did not fix the problem. Very frustrating! Lmk.

RR

Do you have the right ramp cover installed? Mine was an early run Pro and did not come with the ramp cover - this lead to several shots hopping over the opto and not being registered. Putting the cover on made the shot 100%.

#76 2 years ago

Thank you! I think it is worth a shot. Mine definitely does not have the cover.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Renostl:

Thank you! I think it is worth a shot. Mine definitely does not have the cover.

That’s the problem 100%. Put the game into switch test and make sure the opto is working too.

3 weeks later
#78 2 years ago

OP mentioned other page, couldn’t find it so thought I’d ask here.
Just picked up a ST pro last night. The ball lock post under the left ramp, in attract mode, will fire up and down for about 5 seconds then stop for a several minutes then do it again. ALSO, during a game, you hit that shot to the left of the demigorgan it will trap the ball, but then not release it until the game does a ball search then will release it every time. I did a quick look under the playfield, all connections look good and felt tight. All optos show the red light in that area.
Anyone have a similar issue or can direct me to what to look for/check? Still new to fixing these things. I will attempt to clean the opto and adjust it when I get home today.

Thank you in advance!

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangry:

<snip> ALSO, during a game, you hit that shot to the left of the demigorgan it will trap the ball, but then not release it until the game does a ball search then will release it every time. I did a quick look under the playfield, all connections look good and felt tight. All optos show the red light in that area.
Anyone have a similar issue or can direct me to what to look for/check? Still new to fixing these things. I will attempt to clean the opto and adjust it when I get home today.
Thank you in advance!

Right here to the right of the gate in the pic is where the ball stall happens. Tweak your gate outward so it can't stop there.
Screenshot_20210815-112423_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210815-112423_Chrome (resized).jpg

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Right here to the right of the gate in the pic is where the ball stall happens. Tweak your gate outward so it can't stop there.
[quoted image]

The gate itself isn’t stopping the ball, it’s the post after that, the white one that pops up. I’ll check and adjust that gate also though.

A393FD1E-EFF3-4BF8-8496-74F4C4DF4D22 (resized).jpegA393FD1E-EFF3-4BF8-8496-74F4C4DF4D22 (resized).jpeg
#81 2 years ago

Check that your optos are registering properly. There’s two of them right before that post. It’s possible one or both aren’t registering so it doesn’t know a ball is there and only releases it during ball search.

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Check that your optos are registering properly. There’s two of them right before that post. It’s possible one or both aren’t registering so it doesn’t know a ball is there and only releases it during ball search.

Will check that out I appreciate it! Would that also cause the post to fire up and down randomly in attract mode?

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangry:

Will check that out I appreciate it! Would that also cause the post to fire up and down randomly in attract mode?

If the optos are flaky or off center yes. Clean both with alcohol on a qtip too.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If the optos are flaky or off center yes. Clean both with alcohol on a qtip too.

i cleaned the optos the best i could. looked for service alerts, there wasnt any, so then i went in and did a switch test. all switches and optos registered even the post released when a ball went back there, thinking ok cool. then in the middle of the test, the post started to fire randomly, again. then it stopped, and when i threw a ball back there after the post wouldnt release, but the optos registered still.
i turned it off, then back on, started a game, took the ball and put it back there again, and it did the post rapid fire soon as the ball went back there, then posted a left down post malfunction.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from Hangry:

i cleaned the optos the best i could. looked for service alerts, there wasnt any, so then i went in and did a switch test. all switches and optos registered even the post released when a ball went back there, thinking ok cool. then in the middle of the test, the post started to fire randomly, again. then it stopped, and when i threw a ball back there after the post wouldnt release, but the optos registered still.
i turned it off, then back on, started a game, took the ball and put it back there again, and it did the post rapid fire soon as the ball went back there, then posted a left down post malfunction.

Do a keyword search here. Someone had your exact issue recently and fixed it. Cannot remember what the fox was.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/254#post-6573297

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do a keyword search here. Someone had your exact issue recently and fixed it. Cannot remember what the fox was.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/254#post-6573297

I ended up removing the post assembly and all the optos there, cleaned everything, adjusted angels, and found a small crack in the wire soder for one of the optos. Re soldered it and it works perfect now!

2 months later
#87 2 years ago
Quoted from ptrav1:

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am having a ton of problems with drop targets dropping randomly.... Mid game. Hard to diagnose.. Sometimes it goes 10+ games without it happening once, then it will happen 5x my next 10 games. Then I take the glass off to see if I can reproduce issue and of course I can't.

I'm a bit of a newb... but I'm guessing it's the opto switch (#53) drop target opto sense?. It just seems to always be working and not misfiring when I'm testing it. Not sure what else it could be though Just wondering if you ever got it resolved (or if anyone else wants to weigh in)...

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Anybody else having issues with direct bash hits not registering on a Pro Demogorgon? Sometimes it will be working fine and deducting health with each hit, other times hits refuse to register 5 times in a row. Is there a switch adjustment here anyone has done to make the bash hits more reliable? Thanks.

Had this problem recently on a pro. The Opto that recorded hits would work in test, but not so great in game.

Turns out, the ramp down limit switch for the center ramp was intermittent. If the game can’t “see” that the ramp is down via the limit switch, then it won’t “activate” the demogorgon hit switch. Once the switch was adjusted to register when the ramp was down, the demo hit opto was consistent.

AC/DC has the same problem with the cannon.... if the cannon loads but the game doesn’t see the home limit switch, the cannon will not fire when the player hits the fire button.

This is a poor design by stern. Surely, a wms game would compensate for these limit switches not working in code. Yet here we are LOL, in a thread devoted solely to one game’s issues, which is 20+ years newer than any wms game.

Mike

3 weeks later
#89 2 years ago

I'm having an issue after installing the UV kit. The UV lights are working perfectly, but the Demogorgon ramp is stuck down and will not raise up when I start a new game. I've checked all the connections, tried manually raising the ramp and lowering it again. Nothing works. Please help if you can. Thanks!

8 months later
#90 1 year ago

I have an issue. I replaced the drop targets with the clear ones and reinstalled and now my drop targets won’t work. The part that goes into the opto are painted black and the game knows when a target drops and scores it but once you knock them all down amor start a game when they are down they will not reset. I tested from the connector to the coil and I get continuity on both lines on both coils. I have no game errors. No clue what to do.

4 months later
#91 1 year ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

I was having issues with the left orbit ball guide feeding to the sling and sling post so I decided to make a tutorial on how to fix it. I have played over 20 games and have not had any issues since. I hope this helps anyone who is having this issue.

Great video! I too have been struggling to correct this problem for about two years. Regardless of the adjustments I made to the left orbit rail, overtime, the ball would return to hitting the left slingshot. I tried stuffing rubber posts behind the left orbit rail, in various locations, to try and deaden the ball, but nothing really worked consistently. The good news is, I finally solved the problem by slightly bending the left orbit wire guide (NOT THE RAIL) with needle nose pliers to control how far the ball could bounce off the left orbit rail when coming out of the demagorg lock. It donned on me a couple weeks ago as I was trying to fix this problem, yet again. I took out the left plastic ramp and just watched the ball's behavior as I rolled it into the demagorg lock and let it come out and hit the left rail. As I watched it, the ball bounced off the left orbit rail but never came in contact with the left orbit wire guide, located under the left ramp. As a result, the ball bounced twice off the left orbit rail and usually missed the very end of the left orbit rail, striking the top of the left slingshot. By putting a slight bend in the left orbit wire guide, which is opposite the left orbit rail, the wire guide slightly narrowed the left orbit path. The ball then came out of the demagorg lock, bounced off the left orbit rail and lightly contacted the opposite wire guide, deadening the ball, and caused it roll down the entire left orbit rail. With this slight modification, there is no need to put anything behind the left orbit rail as the wire guide provides the necessary dampening. Now, 100% of the time, the ball misses the slingshot and hits the left flipper, as intended. The left orbit wire guide has only the slightest of bends towards the left orbit path, at about the midpoint of the wire, and it in no way interferes with left orbit shots or burn it back shots. The bent wire form guide sticks out just far enough for the ball to contact it when rolling out of the demagorg lock. Hope this helps anyone who might still be struggling with this.

3 weeks later
#92 1 year ago
Quoted from Uggmalugg:

Great video! I too have been struggling to correct this problem for about two years. Regardless of the adjustments I made to the left orbit rail, overtime, the ball would return to hitting the left slingshot. I tried stuffing rubber posts behind the left orbit rail, in various locations, to try and deaden the ball, but nothing really worked consistently. The good news is, I finally solved the problem by slightly bending the left orbit wire guide (NOT THE RAIL) with needle nose pliers to control how far the ball could bounce off the left orbit rail when coming out of the demagorg lock. It donned on me a couple weeks ago as I was trying to fix this problem, yet again. I took out the left plastic ramp and just watched the ball's behavior as I rolled it into the demagorg lock and let it come out and hit the left rail. As I watched it, the ball bounced off the left orbit rail but never came in contact with the left orbit wire guide, located under the left ramp. As a result, the ball bounced twice off the left orbit rail and usually missed the very end of the left orbit rail, striking the top of the left slingshot. By putting a slight bend in the left orbit wire guide, which is opposite the left orbit rail, the wire guide slightly narrowed the left orbit path. The ball then came out of the demagorg lock, bounced off the left orbit rail and lightly contacted the opposite wire guide, deadening the ball, and caused it roll down the entire left orbit rail. With this slight modification, there is no need to put anything behind the left orbit rail as the wire guide provides the necessary dampening. Now, 100% of the time, the ball misses the slingshot and hits the left flipper, as intended. The left orbit wire guide has only the slightest of bends towards the left orbit path, at about the midpoint of the wire, and it in no way interferes with left orbit shots or burn it back shots. The bent wire form guide sticks out just far enough for the ball to contact it when rolling out of the demagorg lock. Hope this helps anyone who might still be struggling with this.

Can you provide a picture?
Are you also saying that the rail should never be adjusted?

2 months later
#93 10 months ago

Why would the left orbit roll over switch work perfectly in Test, but nothing during game play? Iam baffled. Game isn’t worth playing if one switch doesn’t work, Iron Maiden newton ball also is a pain in tbe ass to keep working!!!

#94 10 months ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Why would the left orbit roll over switch work perfectly in Test, but nothing during game play? Iam baffled. Game isn’t worth playing if one switch doesn’t work, Iron Maiden newton ball also is a pain in tbe ass to keep working!!!

Probably a "completing" switch down the line that in conjunction with the original switch registers the total loop travel completed, I'm guessing? (You don't get awarded with a left orbit shot if it doesn't have enough power and falls down at the rear of the machine before making the jump back to whatever returns it to the right inlane)

#95 10 months ago

I will check that, maybe there is another switch/opto further down. Extremely difficult game to take apart, hopefully it doesn’t come to that!!! I appreciate your help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

8,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-fixesplease-keep-everything-else-in-the-other-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.