(Topic ID: 321279)

Stranger things discontinued??

By Pinman2005

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8F13B062-CB86-4405-9546-B5D05CD4AE86.jpeg
    A3144008-A340-480E-B135-4CCC09D03037 (resized).jpeg
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

Hello all. Wanted to confirm here. Was hoping that this pinball would be continued but it looks like the opposite. Can anyone confirm? If it was discontinued, were sales low as the reason?

#2 1 year ago

They silently retired it last year.

#3 1 year ago

Any idea why? It had a lot of really cool features.

#4 1 year ago

License expired they had the last run of pros last December

#5 1 year ago

Great game, but a friend of mine with a VP claims the virtual version of the game is better, need to play it and see for myself!

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

Any idea why? It had a lot of really cool features.

Sold horribly when it came out. Hands down some of the worst Quality control stern put out in the last few years. Code was super early and unfinished. Le's sat in boxes for so long. Used prices were in the toilet.

#7 1 year ago

Yeah, locally a Premium with 10 plays sat for 6 months at $7k. Crazy. Now you can't even get a Pro for that.

#8 1 year ago

I did notice that the last run was only the pro and not the premium. Was there a reason for that?

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

I did notice that the last run was only the pro and not the premium. Was there a reason for that?

Cause they had so many problems with the ball lock.

#10 1 year ago

If only the pro had the projection screen, it would be enticing.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Cause the had so many problems with the ball lock.

I have zero issues with any of the features on my premium...including ball lock. Now maybe it was adjusted after it left the factory....but ir works flawlessly.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Soundkillr:

I have zero issues with any of the features on my premium...including ball lock. Now maybe it was adjusted after it left the factory....but ir works flawlessly.

You got lucky! I would love to have a flawlessly working one. Who know, maybe some day they will revisit this. Not looking good at the moment.

#13 1 year ago

So easy to get this game working perfect. Don’t be turned off by that in the least.

Pretty sure they only did pros due to parts and perhaps it was even the projector itself. They never were able to send me a whole populates playfield warranty replacement and ended up having me send mine to them to do a swap to new playfield. They said they didn’t have enough parts to build even 1 premium/LE.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vitty:

So easy to get this game working perfect.

Not exactly easy or something they could get right at the factory. The TK lock and the demogorgon mouth both require complicated adjustment to make somewhat reliable for many owners.

Fortunately, the projectors have proven to be reliable so far.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

You got lucky! I would love to have a flawlessly working one. Who know, maybe some day they will revisit this. Not looking good at the moment.

The will not revisit it.

#16 1 year ago

My biggest issue with this game was the Demogorgan shot. If he's qualified and you make a decent shot, the ball should go in.

As-is, it felt like a carnival game that's rigged to make you lose.

Projector was really cool, works better than videos would have you think, hope someone gives that another try someday.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

License expired they had the last run of pros last December

Wrong slow sellers get cut off early. The license is active between 5 to 10 years. Stern sees a high demand and resale going to high vault edition will be available. I had go to a licensing expo to setup 2 booths for a company

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaytech10:

The license is active between 5 to 10 years.

Stranger Things characters, Demogorgon, and map were available as pay DLC in the hit video game Dead by Daylight, for a couple years only. Nothing like 5yrs. They announced the DLC was going away, last chance, and then it was no longer available.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

My biggest issue with this game was the Demogorgan shot. If he's qualified and you make a decent shot, the ball should go in.
    As-is, it felt like a carnival game that's rigged to make you lose.
    Projector was really cool, works better than videos would have you think, hope someone gives that another try someday.

All I did was pull the Demo, take out the washers (to lower it) and from a cradle you can hit it every time. If the playfirld is freshly waxed its even better. It IS harder to hit ut on the fly but make able. My TK lock has worked near perfect right out of the box. Yes, a rattled shot or slow shot cab get rejected by the arm but clean shots are fine and even bad shots at least get virtually locked. With them exchanging hands now, my guess is many owners have put the time in to get it dialed it right. The game is outstanding. Thank God my wife fell in live with it early, or I'd be in the sane situation as others looking for one now.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

If you work in the game, this will be the behavior. Not easy though, and takes patience. Once fixed, from a trap or on the fly from either flipper is very repeatable. This is key for the later demogorgon modes.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I agree with this but when the game came out, it was very popular on pinside to crap on the projector: It won't be visible in a normal environment, it was a rip off of Pinball 2k games like SWE1, it needed to be brighter, the bulb would quickly burn out, a different type of reflector material was needed, etc. Of course none of this was true, but I can see how based on the initial reception others might be reluctant to try it again.

#22 1 year ago

Yes.. so many haters. There was a LOT of frustration, and the code was not good. Cleland code and set up right... she's bolted.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaytech10:

Wrong slow sellers get cut off early. The license is active between 5 to 10 years. Stern sees a high demand and resale going to high vault edition will be available. I had go to a licensing expo to setup 2 booths for a company

Unless you read the licensing agreement for this deal I don’t think you can accurately conclude it was 5-10 years. I’d note that on a YouTube video a Stern employee was answering a question about Metallica and noted it was selling well and Stern just extended the license. I’d estimate it was 2-3 years into the games production…

Regardless of that anecdote every license deal is different and unique as they all carry different stakeholders and approvals.

#24 1 year ago

There is zero change the license was 5-10 years. Maybe 5 years from the start of development.

#25 1 year ago

Licenses are usually 3 years with the main variance being if the timer starts when you sign (and dev time eats up one of the years) or does it start when you ship.

#26 1 year ago

Covid also hit and closed down all locations 3 months after release. The early code was very basic which also didn't help. I hear people at league and tournaments talk about how they only got to play it in that 3 month period and hated it. Only now after nearly 3 years they are experiencing the final code and loving it. The location shutdown really killed the game I think.

#27 1 year ago

If I remember correctly…when I bought my pro I was very surprised when I unboxed it turned it on and seen that the code was at .68. That’s the lowest number(of code)I’ve seen so far out of all my NIB Sterns that I’ve purchased so far. It was a fun code ride with this pin once Stern started dropping new code…it seemed like a different game every month for about a year. I’m definitely glad I decided to grab one while everyone was treating it like a POS.

#28 1 year ago

For those that got the Pro, did you regret it over the premium?

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Great game, but a friend of mine with a VP claims the virtual version of the game is better, need to play it and see for myself!

I'm assuming your friend couldn't get a real STh. I have a bunch of VP games on my VP Cabs Vertigo and I can confidently say that no VP game beats a real pinball machine. Ever.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm assuming your friend couldn't get a real STh. I have a bunch of VP games on my VP Cabs Vertigo and I can confidently say that no VP game beats a real pinball machine. Ever.

Also worth noting that (unless there's a second one out there) the VP stranger Things is an (awesome) original design, rather than a re-creation of the Stern pin.

So, I say try both. Good times.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

My Ultra VP 6.0 comes today, definitely hoping its worth the effort
    At least they got a goonies game

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

No, have owned both and I don't miss the projector. With the pro you can backhand the left ramp and don't have the pain of dialing the TK lock in either, people that say it isn't a pain probably got there game already dialed in. If I owned the premium or LE with it selling for big bucks right now then of course I would be saying you need to own that version.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

Totally happy with my pro…no regrets.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

After buying an Ultra VP 6.0 I can confidently say that virtual pinball is absolutely amazing with the right technology, and DOF + SSF devices. Absolutely awesome. I agree that real pinball is always better but it's been really nice to play fairly accurate simulations that never break down, requiring cleaning, and most of all that you don't have to pay for + move.

There's also some really cool virtual games that I think may even beat out the physical pin. This version of LOTR has videos that play along side modes perfectly, kinda reminds me of a LOTR with a JJP monitor. Picture is a little fuzzy and a bit too bright, looks better in person.

A3144008-A340-480E-B135-4CCC09D03037 (resized).jpegA3144008-A340-480E-B135-4CCC09D03037 (resized).jpeg

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

After buying an Ultra VP 6.0 I can confidently say that virtual pinball is absolutely amazing with the right technology, and DOF + SSF devices. Absolutely awesome. I agree that real pinball is always better but it's been really nice to play fairly accurate simulations that never break down, requiring cleaning, etc.

Yeah, the more machines I get the more something always needs fixing! Right now my Dialed in phone has a big line down the LCD screen, and my Halloween CE still triggers ghost "skill shot missed!"
    Ugh! Im also hoping now I dont have to spend uber billions of dollars on mods hehe.

I see you got your Escalera with a STNG strapped to it.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

Its an opinion and you're going to get different ones...but for me...it was the premium or nothing. The pro just doesn't dazzle like a premium

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wildbill327:

Totally happy with my pro…no regrets.

Is the projector really the only huge difference between the versions?

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

Not at all, that projector isnt going to last forever, when stern decides to not support the warranty on those youll be SOL.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

Magnetic ball lock and projector on screen drops and stand ups. Those are the two big things.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Also worth noting that (unless there's a second one out there) the VP stranger Things is an (awesome) original design, rather than a re-creation of the Stern pin.
    So, I say try both. Good times.

For the virtual pinball, how well does it simulate the physical game experience? It looks interesting but one of the old school things in me would seem to miss a physical ball and flippers.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gutterghoul:

Not at all, that projector isnt going to last forever, when stern decides to not support the warranty on those youll be SOL.

Lol...no we won't. I doubt the projector will ever fail...but they make tons of pico projectors that get smaller and smaller every year. The input is usb...so it would just be a matter of dialing in a new projector and possibly making a power supply.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

For the virtual pinball, how well does it simulate the physical game experience? It looks interesting but one of the old school things in me would seem to miss a physical ball and flippers.

I will let u know today. I have all mechanical machines. This will be my second virtual machine, will definitely post my thoughts. The first virtual machine I cant really count, it was a piece of crap

#43 1 year ago

I'm surprised no one has brought up UVgate. UV ink was printed onto the playfield, but not advertised as a feature upon game release, then several months later, "Buy the UV kit to fully unlock the game at another $400!" or whatever the price was. Not sure if that had a direct impact on sales of the game but it was a sore subject for many pinsiders.

#44 1 year ago

I ALWAYS said this was one of STerns BEST Games (Premium or LE) Todd

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I'm surprised no one has brought up UVgate. UV ink was printed onto the playfield, but not advertised as a feature upon game release, then several months later, "Buy the UV kit to fully unlock the game at another $400!" or whatever the price was. Not sure if that had a direct impact on sales of the game but it was a sore subject for many pinsiders.

I think this is a perfect example of ....the game wasn't finished when released. I think they always had plans to do the uv...but they were still working on it...and had to get the game out anyway

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from Soundkillr:

Lol...no we won't. I doubt the projector will ever fail...but they make tons of pico projectors that get smaller and smaller every year. The input is usb...so it would just be a matter of dialing in a new projector and possibly making a power supply.

It has custom firmware. Not just a matter of dropping in any replacement projector. Agree that they should last forever though.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

This had little to no impact imo. It was $275 and it was just a way for the haters to hate more.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm pretty sure that Vertigo system is outdated & lacks a second screen for popper. Stranger things on VPX is absolutely astonishing!! Way better than Stern version. Yes it's emulation; but it comes very close once you start playing for a while. A lot depends on monitor used, video card, PC VPW is starting to do some really amazing stuff & it's all free if you're savvy enough to configure

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinman2005:

I think so IMHO but it really doesn’t affect gameplay like AIQ for example that’s missing a super fun ramp. I do have to admit the one thing I wish my pro version had (like the le/prem) is the cool “swipe a ball” rule.

#50 1 year ago

If anyone needs an LE, hmu. I've been playing around with selling it for a while.
    I love it, but prices are high and I need room.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-discontinued?hl=mrawesome44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.