IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

371 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 2.
#9403 3 years ago

The blue one looks best to me.

#9414 3 years ago

Just read the last month’s worth of posts here, good info and I have a good feel for what to do when I get the game (if I can find one). I’d probably have to sell my JP Pro to finance it and open a slot. I’m not crazy about selling JP, but I’ve had it for 20 months and I’m ready for a lineup change.

#9423 3 years ago

My buddy and I played about 20 games today on a location Premium. The sound was almost all the way down, and there were 4 young kids playing a free-play shooter next to us the whole time, but we still really enjoyed it. As an aside it was funny to hear a 6-year-old say “fuck!” And then hear his dad come by later and say “come on, ya little shit stain”. Total Cousin Eddie moment.

The TK lock only worked once to lock a ball to the backboard, but we still got several TK MBs with what I assume were virtual locks. It reminded me of my JM glove that would sometimes just disable itself. Hopefully this one was a fluke. Other than that, man what a fun game! We had several games between 50M and 120M, and then I finally had a 350M game with Total Isolation. I love a pin with an achievable mini-wizard mode (my Stern JP is lacking in that area). Flow was great, and I found all the shots easier than on JP. However it’s still a tough, fast game. Gotta get that Spell of Protection as soon as possible! The right orbit rattles a little, but I still made the shot about 75% of the time. Overall, it’s a well-designed layout. We had 3 ball hangs on the one-way gate leading to the Mystery shot, but I’m guessing there’s a fix for that.

STh will make a great league game. We played EHOH after STh, and yeah it was really pretty and fun, but man what long ball times. Ops should be charging double for EHOH, given the cost and how long it plays.

#9432 3 years ago

Yeah, I was very happy to have the chance to pump some dollars into a location STh Premium at My Parents’ Basement in Decatur. It was a popular game while we were there.

#9477 3 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Now....I need advice on one more game (Want a Spike). I love flow and shots that aren't too difficult. Looks like it might be Munsters. Liked GoTG from the theme and shot layout, but it seems to be a more difficult game to get good flow going. Thoughts?

Munsters for sure. The ramps are like butter and much easier to hit than on GOTG. Guardians isn’t “clunky”, but it doesn’t flow like Munsters does because the shots are tighter. I don’t own either game (had GOTG for 6 months), but I’ve played a lot of both.

#9492 3 years ago

I just read this in a Pinside ad:

“At this point, this game is not on Sterns build schedule to be made again”

How likely is it that Stern won’t run more STh Premiums for the foreseeable future? I’m planning to call my distributor later today to see what’s up. I wouldn’t mind waiting 6-12 months, and it seems unlikely that Stern wouldn’t put this back on the line, given how fast the premiums were snarfed up here in the southeast.

#9508 3 years ago

I found a NIB LE nearby, but it’s $11k. Just a bit over the “I can’t afford a divorce” price point. I could sell 2 pins to raise the cash though....

#9545 3 years ago

When I upgraded the flipper coils for my LOTR, I bought a few of these heat sinks - they work well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081636Z2H

This isn’t the exact one I bought, so check your coil width. You can stretch them a bit, but not much.

#9550 3 years ago

Those are cool. They filmed the mall scenes 5 miles from my house, good use of a sad dead mall.

#9582 3 years ago

I’m looking to join the party with a Premium or LE in the southeast. I’ll go back to lurking in this fine club now.

#9594 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm bummed.
It looks like my CPU board is bad. Will need a replacement.
Pin will not boot up. Tried a new SD card, which worked initially, then it reverted to giving me the "restarting game" message.
I did not buy this from a distributor so it will be interesting to see if Stern covers it under warranty. The CPU board would not be cheap. Marco sells it for $599.

Check the voltages coming into the main board. It’s possible that the power supply is flaky. Fingers crossed here that’s your issue.

#9604 3 years ago

I’m surprised that none of the toppers use the mind flayer (that multiple-tornado-looking thing on the cabinet). There are plenty of demagorgons in the game already.

#9654 3 years ago

I got in another 20 games on a location Premium today. I finally got dialed in on that right orbit to the pops, and now I feel like it’s easier than the “O” and “S” shots on my JP. I only got to Total Isolation once, what a great multiball mode. I forced myself to play 3 games on an AFM (a nice one), and I couldn’t wait to get back to STH.

#9662 2 years ago

I was able to light extra balls pretty regularly by starting the 3rd mode.

#9683 2 years ago

Any pro owners here? I want to join the few, the proud, the brave. I was thinking of replacing the factory ramp sticker with this graphic.

E7B715E0-8580-44F2-8189-A0B050F159C0 (resized).pngE7B715E0-8580-44F2-8189-A0B050F159C0 (resized).png
#9687 2 years ago

Nice, thanks all! I look forward to modding the crap out of my pro, especially the A/V thanks to this thread.

#9743 2 years ago

Here’s a funny story. I drove about an hour to my new distributor today to get a Pro. He told me a while back that he was out of Premiums and LEs. So after a few frustrating weeks of searching, and dealing with a flaky LE seller in Florida, I talked myself into a pro. I walked into the distributor’s warehouse, and he took me back to an impressive storage area with at least 100 NIB pins, and 12 STH Pros alone. He looks up to the 3rd tier, about 10 feet over our heads, and says “huh, what’s THAT doing there?” There it was, a lone STH Premium.

Long story short, he offered to sell the Premium to me for a reasonable bump over MSRP. But what did I do? I went with the Pro anyway! After getting it home and playing 20-30 games, I’m super happy with my decision. The game already feels perfectly dialed in, and it’s a flow monster. The orbits feed to the flippers without hitting the slings, Burn It Back feels amazing and the saucer feeds Burn It Back at least half the time. The demagorgon shot was perfect for about a dozen games, then it became difficult, so I’ll need to look into that (may need an updated ramp). My game was born February 2020, just before the SHTF with COVID. I couldn’t be happier with it, and I already have a buyer for my Jurassic Park pro (a friend).

Here’s my modest first-day GC (I already moved the outlane posts to the middle position):
43062AE0-FC87-49AD-A31B-5125446EA33F (resized).jpeg43062AE0-FC87-49AD-A31B-5125446EA33F (resized).jpeg

#9753 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I am thinking of adding a shaker to the game, never had one before but I am wondering if it is worth it on this game?

Yes, it’s 1000% worth it. It’s integrated really well.

#9773 2 years ago

I like that there are just a few gameplay features unique to the Premium/LE. It should makes scores fairly comparable across all versions, right?

a) lock 2 balls during MB to get 3x scoring (Pro: 1 ball, 2x)
b) swipe a ball for non-TK MB modes (Pro: no swiping)

#9792 2 years ago

I had to adjust the switch for Burn It Back on my Pro, but otherwise it’s been perfect so far (knock on wood). My thoughts after the first 40-50 games:

I love the music more than I thought I would. I may still swap in 80’s songs for a few modes, but what’s in there now works really well. The callouts seem fine to me, but I’ll definitely swap out the “X is lit” callouts (thats what the inserts are for, ha). Needs Eleven saying “bitchin’” in there somewhere. And definitely needs a few Erica callouts. “You can’t spell America without Erica”.

The shots are all awesome, there’s not a single one I hate. Right ramp is tight but I’m getting dialed into it. The gameplay really reminds me of IM, which I’ve been missing. Fast, high-adrenaline multiballs. Smooth and repeatable ramps. I like the right orbit shot, now that I’m playing a game that feeds back to the right flipper and not the top of the slings.

The left lock target on the left ramp should have a sign, “this way to right outlane”. Missing that ramp with the right flipper punishes me pretty regularly, as it should. On the other hand, the drop targets are way less punishing than I expected. It’s pretty easy to recover from a quick rebound, since you’re expecting it.

I’m looking forward to getting my UV kit, so I can switch out all the violet GI for white. I really don’t like colored GI. Joyce’s face shouldn’t be purple. I love the Pro cabinet and translite artwork. It’s season one, which is the only season some people are familiar with, and the best one IMHO.

Overall, my favorite Stern in a long time, and I think it’s fair to call it a “flow monster”. The left orbit ending at the right flipper is awesome. Looping “Burn It Back” is awesome. “Man, that’s pretty cool.”

#9801 2 years ago

At the point of decision, the difference for me was $2200 for the Premium. If I wasn’t planning to put this on location at some point, I might have been tempted. But I think a location Premium would be a headache.

#9807 2 years ago

The issues discussed here don’t sound too much different than the ones I had with my GOTLE diverter and 2-level VUK. For me it was worth spending a week getting my GOTLE working right. It’s stayed dialed in for a few years now, so I don’t have to think about it. And you’re all in good hands here with chuckwurt and others on this thread.

#9819 2 years ago

Sorry if this was discussed before, but what song substitutions have you guys tried and liked? I’ll also check out Cleland’s mix, but I generally like doing my own thing. This would be my “80’s mix” for occasional use (since I like the existing music a lot).

Follow the Compass: “Destination Unknown”, Missing Persons (‘82)
Bullies: “Wanna Be Starting Something”, Michael Jackson (‘83)
Where’s Barb: “Don’t You Forget About Me”, Simple Minds (‘85)
Monster Hunting: “The Warrior”, Scandal (‘84)
Get Me Out: “Love is a Battlefield”, Pat Benatar (‘84)
Operation Mirkwood: “Rock the Casbah”, The Clash (‘83)

Turn Up the Heat: “I’m on Fire”, Bruce Springsteen (‘85)
Lure Dart: “Harden My Heart”, Quarterflash (‘82)
Quarter Hunt: “Pac Man Fever”, Buckner & Garcia (‘82)
Morse Code: “De Doo Doo Doo, De Da Da Da”, Police (‘81)
What Mama Says: “Words”, Missing Persons (‘82)
Save Will: “Owner of a Lonely Heart”, Yes (‘84)

Honorable mentions:

“Urgent”, Foreigner (‘81)
“Heat of the Moment”, Asia (‘82)
“Some Like it Hot”, Power Station (‘85)
“The Boys of Summer”, Don Henley (‘85)
“Never Surrender”, Corey Hart (‘85)
“Photograph”, Def Leppard (‘83)
“I Wanna Know What Love Is”, Foreigner, (‘85)

#9824 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

If this was a downloadable image, I would definitely rock this. I've been waiting for an all 80s music mix.

No problem, I’ll just use Limewire to download them.

Being serious, though - this may take me a few weeks. I’m behind the 8-ball with taxes, league prep and projects I need to finish to keep my wife happy.

#9828 2 years ago

I would love an all 80's mix... where do I get it? is there also a way to minimize the game sounds and bump the music up within the game settings?

Yes, feature adjustments #89 and 90. Set the number lower (negative) to make it louder, higher for quieter. I have 89 set to -5 on mine (louder music).

#9843 2 years ago

Ahhhh, I’m such a douchebag. I didn’t know there was a whole thread about modding the music. I’ll put my suggestions there. And can’t wait to try Cleland’s image tonight. Love the “Don’t Mess Around With Jim” choice!

#9848 2 years ago

Here’s a simply fantastic article in Jalopnik about every vehicle in the show.

https://jalopnik.com/the-cars-of-stranger-things-are-as-perfect-as-the-show-1784727336

Fun fact, I grew up in Kenosha near the AMC plant that was making Gremlins at the time, and I have a crayon drawing of the assembly line to prove it. By 1984 I was rockin’ a ‘77 Olds Cutlass that a lawyer tried to screw me on (he said it had 50k miles and didn’t even bother to take the paperwork out of the glovebox showing service at 110k). He gave me $500 back and we were both happy.

Here’s a really dorky purchase for my game, a replica of Joyce’s Ford Pinto (my dad sold his Corvair in the 70’s and bought us a sensible Pinto station wagon; I’m pouring one out now for my dad’s adolescence)

2311A67E-FE4A-4B01-8298-5B4CC3E52579 (resized).jpeg2311A67E-FE4A-4B01-8298-5B4CC3E52579 (resized).jpeg

#9850 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I think you'll find out that the pin's code isn't suited for "jukebox modes". It's not as if you usually play a mode all the way thru without interruptions like other games. I find many game events will interrupt a mode song and then start another audio track. Like starting a mode, then getting into a Demogorgon or Demidog mode.

Yes, definitely. I find myself avoiding the drops just so the Demogorgon music doesn’t interrupt the theme song. That also seems like a good scoring strategy anyway, so it works out. But Demodog mode is the biggest cock-blocker: you can’t make any other progress until the mode is over.

Apologies to anyone who got this game a year ago. You’re going to have to endure all of us newbs who just got it, and are in “best game ever” mode.

#9852 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also. You’re just locked out from working towards chapter modes in demodog. You can still work towards TK MB and demogorgon modes.

I mean, thematically it makes complete sense. You can’t hunt for quarters when you’re dealing with demodogs.

#9860 2 years ago

I say this very sincerely, the very best thing about getting a new game is joining the Pinside club and finding people who love the game as much as you do. I haven’t been this excited for a pin since I started the Metallica thread in 2013 (and I still have it). Community is great.

#9861 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

True, I have been slowly working on this and hope to have something in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, please post your thoughts in my sound mod thread. The only thing is, I really only want 80's songs that were in the show at some point.

I respect that. But as someone who lived in that era, I’m probably going to pick songs that resonate with me. It’s no knock on your choices, which I think are already great.

#9878 2 years ago

Is this the first game since Space station to have dedicated colored GI strings?

As cool as that is, the purple always being on bugged me, because it changes the art on the plastics. I thought I’d try swapping them out with white (I had some spares from changing GOTLE to warm white). Here’s the result. The game was actually too bright now, so I dialed the GI brightness back to 60%. Of course, this is going to destroy the Upside Down mode until I get my UV kit. So I may swap it back for now - easy to do if you make changes from under the playfield. Thoughts?

3558653A-72FD-4754-A5D7-70CEA1B8696D (resized).jpeg3558653A-72FD-4754-A5D7-70CEA1B8696D (resized).jpegCA1BA1A0-3433-41FC-86E6-A34D08370D87 (resized).jpegCA1BA1A0-3433-41FC-86E6-A34D08370D87 (resized).jpeg

EDIT: kept the purple LEDs everywhere except the slings and lane guides. I’m happy with the look now.

#9881 2 years ago

Interesting, I never noticed that. Stern did thoughtfully use violet wires for the lamp sockets that are supposed to be purple. I might keep the slings and lane guide white, and switch everything else back to purple (i.e. factory).

#9883 2 years ago

Has anyone noticed sounds from other pins? The Upside Down award sounds are definitely from Iron Man, and I think I even heard some Wheel of Fortune sounds at one point.

#9885 2 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

I noticed some GOTG sounds yes. Maybe some lazy Lonnie code leftovers?

I don’t mind reused sounds if they’re cool. But I’d definitely like to remove the WOF sounds.

#9893 2 years ago

I like frequent but subtle shaker action, which is what we have here. It’s not going to rattle the glass, but it’s definitely there a lot if you set it to “Maximum”. In a world of $600 toppers, it’s kind a no-brainer $110 purchase.

#9896 2 years ago

New owner questions (I did search the thread first for an answer): what causes the “Burn It Back” insert to come on, and what does it mean when it is lit? And, does anything special happen if you loop this shot repeatedly, or is that shot always the same (awarding 1 BIB no matter what)?

#9898 2 years ago

Haha. Yes, I’ve read that rule sheet about 5 times, nice work. I still don’t know why there is an insert for BIB though.

Note to Stern: give us something cool for looping this shot repeatedly, even if it’s just a callout. Like when Steve Ritchie says “You’re on Fire!” in No Fear. Actually that callout would be perfect!

#9900 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Read it again. It explains it during the 2x scoring and spell of protection sections. There only only two things that insert could indicate.

Ah, got it. The insert lights to indicate that an award is waiting (Light 2x scoring or Spell of Protection).

#9914 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Awesome! Remember. If it seems the magnet lock gets worse with long play, the flipper fans are a must.

This is true for the Pro too. The demogorgan shot won't be reliable until you do this upgrade (I still have not). I had this exact same problem with my LOTR in 2004, and RC car motor heat sinks seemed to solve the problem. I'll try borrowing those from LOTR and report back (although, I do love PinMonk and his products, just ordered the red-to-orange brackets).

#9915 2 years ago

I just spent 5 hours in Pinball Browser bookmarking callouts and music. I only stopped when I got a 500 error and crashed the app If someone can sync bookmarks and let me know if they see them, it will make me feel like less of a loser. I think I labeled at least 200 sound scripts.

I'm trying not to get too excited about the possibilities I hear in the callouts: super modes as rewards for finishing chapter modes (e.g. "Super Ramps").That's what I love so much about Aerosmith, and that's why even though it's simple, it never gets old. I had to decide whether to sell AS or JP, and my beloved Aerosmith is staying.

Lots of great audio assets in the code. I'm looking forward to playing with it and replacing the instructional callouts with snippets from the show.

#9922 2 years ago

I hate to gush about a new game, but man I love my STH Pro. It’s been a great journey from Iron Man, to Guardians, to JP, to STH. I don’t know whether to be happy or concerned that my scores jump from ~100k to ~500k after I’ve had 2-3 beers. I seem to be much better at the right ramp in particular.

I rewatched all 3 seasons this past month, and it’s really enhanced my enjoyment of the game. Thematically, Stranger Things is a trifecta for me: SciFi, small town America and “Coming of Age”. Stern did a great job with the theme integration, and Cleland took it up a few more notches. Will we ever get another game with callouts from kids? I’m still hoping for The Goonies, but this is even better.

beelzeboob I’ll probably own an LZ at some point. I need more time on it, and I’m thinking of buying a Premium for a location - though the Pro looks good to me too. Such a great time for those of us who love simple flowy layouts.

@panzerfreak, come over to the dark side. It’s fun here.

#9924 2 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Good luck finding a NIB Premium. Distributors are out and from what I've been told by several of them, it's out of production with no plans from Stern to make more. I picked up a NIB Pro and can't be happier.

I had a chance to grab a Premium for $2200 more than my Pro, and I passed. But I’m still happy for those that got Prem/LE for MSRP or less because they knew this game was a sleeper.

#9929 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

There are a few in Toronto, Canada. I almost bought one until my wife found out it was $15000CAD!!! It was shut down quickly!!!

My one shot at a Premium was $8100 IIRC, not at all unreasonable. I know I made someone else happy by leaving it there.

#9930 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal-911:

One thing holding me back at this point may be the possible infinite amount of tinkering that needs to be done, even right out of the box from what I am reading. Is this always the case with this title that it needs a lot of tweaking and fine adjustment to make it work right?

It’s always the case with *every* Premium (and even some Pros). If you’re up to the challenge and reasonably handy, you’ll be happy with a Prem/LE.

#9937 2 years ago

Only 2 tickets for 1.5B? It should have made a pile of tickets on the floor.

5E098915-8134-4492-AE32-588CA82C84AF (resized).jpeg5E098915-8134-4492-AE32-588CA82C84AF (resized).jpeg
#9951 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Don’t like the show, hate the back glass with the bald girl on it,

Hey now, that girl has a name: Eleven, or “Elle” to her friends. And you’d better respect her, or she’ll hurl a Cadillac at you.

#9955 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Thank you for that, hundreds of bookmarks synced thanks to you. Half the battle is bookmarking and labeling, which is tedious work as you know.

Thanks for confirming the sync. The music was the hardest part, going back and forth between the game’s DJ mode and my PC to find a match. I should have time this week to tag the rest of the callouts and sounds. I’ve only done this for games I plan to keep for a long time (the other one was IM, I think).

#9962 2 years ago

I remember how much grief people gave IM when it came out, calling it “stripped down”. But it did well enough for Stern to make it their first Vault game. Another parallel to STH: there was very limited supply of the 2010 Iron Man, and at one point it was selling for $6k when other used Sterns were fetching mid-4’s. I don’t regret selling mine after having it 4+ years, but I still play it whenever I see one on location.

#9965 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

TK lock=magnet lock on the backboard

Funny, there some “TK lock” callouts in the code. I guess they decided they could abbreviate “telekinesis” for normal people?

#9975 2 years ago

My Burn It Back switch wasn’t registering reliably, and I just wanted to share my solution. I figured out the the problem was that it was resting in the closed (“on”) position, so I added a small washer under each screw under the switch body, to give it a little more travel. So far that fix is working well.

#9978 2 years ago

I just noticed that my bag-o-stuff stapled to the cabinet is missing the slingshot plastics. Is that the new norm, or is mine just missing them?

9A663DF0-E61E-4E46-BB34-DE73B2412E8A (resized).jpeg9A663DF0-E61E-4E46-BB34-DE73B2412E8A (resized).jpeg
#9982 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Mine did not come with any slings
But quite a few fobs from all the main characters
Could of been a trade off with the plastic sets sheets and space limits

I was afraid of that. I hope my Ulek protectors come soon. This would be my first new Stern without a spare set - LOTR, MET and JP all had them.

#9991 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve also never seen a slingshot plastic break. Everyone gets protectors and they already have corner protectors from the factory.

On that note: I usually swap out the metal fender washers for PETG ones, but I won’t be doing that anymore. My LOTR right sling plastic broke, along with the PETG washer that was “protecting” it. Of course this is with the stronger after-market coils, so that’s another cause.

#9993 2 years ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Interesting, on mine the Burn it Back switch sometimes doesn't register either.
Can you please post a photo?

I don’t have a photo, but basically the washer sits between the playfield wood and the plastic base of the switch. You may also be able to fix it by adjusting the switch (I was not).

#9997 2 years ago

I’d love to see pics of the purple rubbers. I think I lucked out, because my right and left orbits just drop the ball to the flipper on the same side, only occasionally hitting the slings. Balls have no problem finding the right outlane, though

#10000 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Is there a ring size chart for this game?

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-manuals/

It’s on page 35 in the Pro manual. I’ll also include it here so that’s in the club photo collection (refer to that page for ring locations):
D1E18741-BDE8-40B8-B799-4C9F1BDDEF08 (resized).jpegD1E18741-BDE8-40B8-B799-4C9F1BDDEF08 (resized).jpeg

#10004 2 years ago

I just ordered one of these guys for $60:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J5Q4QK4

I’m mostly anti-topper, but if I could tie this into the Upside Down mode I think it would a very cool effect. It should be cool even as an always-on topper. There are some video reviews on YouTube, search for “BlissLights ARK”.

#10009 2 years ago

The inability to post-pass on this game is forcing me to sharpen some of my other skills, especially bounce passing and drop-catching. My slings are super-sensitive, but I’m trying to avoid the temptation to adjust them. Finding that right ramp is key, because that shot is the safest way to get the ball to the right flipper, unless you can live-catch from the right “orbit”. Oddly, I’ve found that the best way to make the left orbit is to try to make the saucer and miss. I hit it 3 times in a row this way and started laughing.

#10011 2 years ago

Post #10011! Sorry, I couldn’t resist - like posting your odometer when it rolls over.

#10016 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

It's a great machine to practice post passing on as it is more difficult than others. I find most of Brian Eddy's machines are this way for me. Been practicing a lot and I can get it pretty consistently on it now and even used it in league on an AFM and MM a few weeks ago. I used to find those impossible. Thanks to these games my Borg machines are a breeze to post pass on.

Yes, it IS possible! Seems like the trick is to keep it released just a few milliseconds longer before flipping again. I’ve done it a few times, will keep practicing.

#10019 2 years ago

My best is around 500M, but I’ve been super-focused on finishing modes to get to TI and I think that’s hurting my scores.

#10031 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

I never understood why this seems to be the case. The only reason I sought out this game to play it (which later made me buy it) was the fact that it was Brian Eddy. I mean, Brian Friggin Eddy. And when I played it, it brought back memories of AFM/MM. I had to have it. The man still has the touch. This is my favorite Stern game period.

It’s a classic risk/reward strategy game. Upside Down 1 is way too lucrative to ignore, but dangerous. Holding multiballs in reserve until the right time is key. Knowing when 2X is just around the corner is key. My favorite combo on this game is when I hit the 3rd shot on the left orbit or right ramp to start my 3rd mode, and jam it into the mystery lane for the Extra Ball that was lit a moment ago.

Would love to hear some “blow it up” strategies from RobT and Erik.

#10042 2 years ago
Quoted from JD4444:

Anyone have this problem with the playfield coat bubbling and breaking off. Game is HUO and 6 weeks old .
[quoted image][quoted image]

Call your distributor and let them know you have a serious problem. That’s not normal.

#10059 2 years ago

I swapped out my flipper rubbers for Titans last night, and it plays pretty differently. It seems easier to make some shots, but my drop-catch game is totally off now. I think the extra grippiness is the reason for that; I may go back to the stock rubbers.

I’m experimenting with the playfield angle and flipper strength now. Appreciate cleland and others who shared what worked best for them.

#10064 2 years ago

RobT I’m totally the same way. I can blow up a game without knowing how I did it, but as soon as I learn all of the rules I’m screwed because I’m not focused on just keeping the ball in play. I know you’ve had IM and TWD in the past - would you say STH is in the same league as them in terms of challenge? I’m having Iron Man flashbacks right now, and it’s not just the borrowed sounds making me feel that way.

#10071 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Pro Tip (no pun intended): Do not get the pro UV kit...get the premium one. Free metal apron upgrade! Toss a couple LEDs of your choice under the apron to light up the windows (if you want) and you're golden. It's like a double mod for the price of one.

Oh man, I wish I’d thought of that. Oh well, too late now I think. I don’t want to reset my wait

#10076 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Leave it stock and you should be fine. Stock settings are what most of us use.

Except BIB first Extra Ball. I have that set to 10 on mine; I think others have it at 12. “Auto” is too variable.

I’m not as interested in comparing scores as I am in getting to the wizard modes, so I’ve gimped my game just a little bit:

- 4 hits to kill Demogorgon (not 5)
- extra ball at 7 drawings (not 11)
- outlane posts in the middle (not top)

My justifications (to myself):

* If I’m not killing the DG in 1-3 shots already, either I haven’t got my game dialed in right, or the flippers are fading. I don’t want my guests saying “fucking die already!”.
* If you’ve collected 7 drawings, you’re doing pretty damned well and you deserve something.
* Brian said middle for the outlane posts, and the right outlane is brutal enough.

I promise not to post my scores here.

#10082 2 years ago

I was surprised to see that you can earn Burn It Backs during multiball (at least I think I saw this). Given that, and the “gimme” BIBs from the saucer, maybe 20 BIB for extra ball does make more sense.

Unrelated, I really like this game at 6.5 degrees and full flipper strength. I may change these once I install PinMonk’s fans, which I decided are a must-have mod.

#10084 2 years ago

As you’d expect, there’s a metric ton of fan art for STH, ranging from bad to awesome. I’ve found a lot of good stuff on DeviantArt (www.deviantart.com), which I keep forgetting about. Here are a few of the better ones. I like the one of Max for a “credits” card to replace the score card. Gotta get my color printer working again.

8C32F4BB-AC3E-479D-A224-112FB98B4202 (resized).jpeg8C32F4BB-AC3E-479D-A224-112FB98B4202 (resized).jpeg91616146-ABFE-467F-B854-0ACC7E35BC2B (resized).jpeg91616146-ABFE-467F-B854-0ACC7E35BC2B (resized).jpegC2A74894-BD59-48F4-A61C-28D960477D9E (resized).pngC2A74894-BD59-48F4-A61C-28D960477D9E (resized).png

#10085 2 years ago

These are fun too.

26885E1C-B556-43E3-851A-933F91930625 (resized).png26885E1C-B556-43E3-851A-933F91930625 (resized).png5CABB903-5CEA-49E4-A752-80159A6ABFD3 (resized).jpeg5CABB903-5CEA-49E4-A752-80159A6ABFD3 (resized).jpegEBEF1289-4E0C-46BD-A2E1-29B8909DC3DF (resized).jpegEBEF1289-4E0C-46BD-A2E1-29B8909DC3DF (resized).jpeg
#10095 2 years ago

If you’re having problems with the orbit feeds to the flippers, please include the playfield angle in your post. Mine is fine at 6.5 degrees, but any steeper and I do start to see the ball hit the slings. No QA problems to speak of here, but I know from my experience with MET that the first 50-100 games are more likely to have problems.

#10100 2 years ago

[deleted - I misunderstood the problem]

#10102 2 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Have you guys already covered how to fix/alter the bouncy inlane guides in this thread? Picked up a pro in a temporary trade, the game itself is great fun but the fact that 75% of the time I’m not getting a smooth roll onto the flippers kind of ruins it for me...

I’m trying to understand what you’re describing. Does it only happen when the ball drops down from the ramp? Or do you mean that the lane guide and flipper aren’t aligned so there’s a bounce at the gap?

#10104 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

When the ball drops from the ramp, it sometimes bounces off the lane guide so the transition to the flipper isn’t smooth. This isn’t flipper hop, the ball is bouncing up off the lane guide. Messes with timing of shots. You game does it too. They all do.

Okay. I’ll try to pay more attention to this. I’d probably notice it more if I made more ramps shots, haha. It’s not a problem when you miss.

#10109 2 years ago

Nice video. Is the difference pretty obvious between the early/bad ramps and the later/good ones? Mine has a nice curve to it, and I can make the Demogorgon pretty easily until the flipper coils get hot. I’m looking forward to installing PinMonk’s fans.

[EDIT: pic of bad ramp here, thanks @chuckwurt: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/27#post-5457620]

A9AFBDF2-A6D4-499E-ADF7-56EB05A37C1D (resized).jpegA9AFBDF2-A6D4-499E-ADF7-56EB05A37C1D (resized).jpeg

#10112 2 years ago

My last 6 games in a picture (I didn’t even crack 50M on most of them).

Some days the mojo is just bad.

B1B90437-DB5F-4F03-8DAA-9B5284E595BE (resized).jpegB1B90437-DB5F-4F03-8DAA-9B5284E595BE (resized).jpeg
#10135 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Guess what.. The updated Stern production schedule (from last week) has STh back on it. No date associated yet though. So Stern has decided demand was high enough to do at least 1 other run, whenever that is.

The more games, the more love the code should get, so this is good news.

#10143 2 years ago

One reason I’m glad I got a Pro is that I’m blowing a lot of money on mods. UV Kit, game blades, subwoofer, shaker, flipper coils fans...I’m not going to short-change this game. I just have to keep beating my wife to the front porch so she doesn’t see all of this stuff coming in daily.

#10148 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you got an LE, you wouldn't have to buy some of those mods.

No, but considering the price for the one LE that was available to me, I’d need the “new place to live” mod.

Quoted from Wildbill327:

Seems like the % of how often “Bulls**t” mode comes up needs to be bumped up from mystery award, or at least a setting to adjust the %.

“Hey Stern, we want more bullshit!”

#10149 2 years ago

Quick mini-review of the $60 BlissLights ARK. It’s kind of underwhelming as a topper, with a low ceiling. But if you can figure out how to place it lower nearby, it looks pretty cool. The rotation is too slow for my taste, and there’s no way to speed it up. You can turn on the 2 effects (laser and “aurora”) independently, so that’s cool. I like the purple aurora by itself, but it gets a bit washed out by the game’s lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J5Q4QK4

598FB6C0-FB51-4E42-A040-A42C70DF666E (resized).jpeg598FB6C0-FB51-4E42-A040-A42C70DF666E (resized).jpegA31DC675-3D4E-4519-8ED0-DF923999B801 (resized).jpegA31DC675-3D4E-4519-8ED0-DF923999B801 (resized).jpegD878FCFA-A439-438D-9E38-B2FAA74B4E07 (resized).jpegD878FCFA-A439-438D-9E38-B2FAA74B4E07 (resized).jpeg
#10150 2 years ago

I’m sure I’m not the first to think of this strategy, but I’ll mention it anyway. The mystery lane spots progress for the last shot made, unless another shot has more progress. So I try to get the right ramp as soon as I can, and combo to the mystery lane. Once I’ve played that shot’s mode, I focus on the left orbit, though I’ve gotten pretty good at finishing that one myself. My favorite place to be on ball 3 is to have the left orbit and right ramp completed, and only 1 shot left to finish both the others.

I really wish STH had “super” modes as a reward for finishing modes, like Aerosmith does. Super spinner for finishing a mode started on the left orbit. Super ramps for left ramp. Super lanes for right ramp. Super pops for right orbit. Let’s put those multi-color LEDs to work!

#10156 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t think I could ever beat this game if my game had inconsistent orbit feeds. It’s hard enough already.

Exactly. The right orbit is the safest shot on my game, aside from the mystery lane.

#10176 2 years ago

Pin_Fandango it is pretty normal to have to tweak things like this with a new game. They just build what’s in the CAD, so it’s important that the designer reviews the shots to make sure they really work like they intended. I can’t recall a new game where I didn’t have to do something, but I don’t mind. Posts like yours definitely help. Thanks for sharing that tweak. I’m going to check mine now to see if I need to do it.

#10180 2 years ago
Quoted from Zartan:

If I buy a pro, can I add the projector afterwards?

No, it’s a fork in the road. For me, the $2200 difference made the decision easier.

#10184 2 years ago

I just had a game where I was “on”. Extra balls were set to 10 BIB, 40BIB and 7 drawings. DG are 4 hits for a kill, until I can get my head-hole positioned correctly. I finished with 10 drawings, and came close enough to TI2 to smell it.

This game is such a freakin’ blast when you get in the zone. “GOT kicks ass”, yes, but “STH kicks even more ass”.

8A5CE321-E210-4C71-87DC-38CCC20F8438 (resized).jpeg8A5CE321-E210-4C71-87DC-38CCC20F8438 (resized).jpeg
#10186 2 years ago

I hope something cool happens at 11 drawings, beyond just an extra ball. Even if it’s just a scene of 11 doing her thing to some poor guy.

#10191 2 years ago

I spent the whole evening doing more essential mods:

Mylared the shooter lane and the saucer
PinMonk Tibetan Breeze 2 coil fans
Stern blades
Blue Ulek plastic protectors
Flipper rubber behind the DG, to nudge him forward

All that’s missing now is the UV Kit. Here’s the shape I cut for the saucer mylar. I wonder if someone makes a metal sleeve that fits in the hole to protect it - will check Kerry Stair’s site.
6CA70C80-614C-4DE1-8F16-E90CFD8C6AA4 (resized).jpeg6CA70C80-614C-4DE1-8F16-E90CFD8C6AA4 (resized).jpeg

#10192 2 years ago

This is what we need for the saucer hole:

https://mantispinball.com/product/terminator-2-protector-set/

#10194 2 years ago

I guess I’m used to seeing some exposed wood for an area like that. Same thing exists in my Aerosmith and LOTR.

#10196 2 years ago

Thanks, is this the fix that worked for you? I have a bunch of spare spacers of varying heights, I’ll try them today. Is there a consensus that it’s okay to just use the 2 bolts to secure the DG, and leave the hex head wood screw out? I had to take out my entire left ramp to get to that screw.

I took out the 4.75mm black spacers and 3D printed 2.75mm spacers to replace it. This brings the demo down and it sits directly on the front stud so there is now no rocking forward the demo can do.

#10198 2 years ago

Regarding the bare wood “landing strip” for the left saucer, this is what my Aerosmith looked like after getting 2,000 plays on location, and after cleaning with Novus 2. I put Mylar down on the STH landing strip last night, but it makes the ball less likely to slow down and stay in the saucer. Since it looks like that area should clean up just fine, I’m going to take it back off. The saucer hole is the part that needs protection.

36B34364-F639-4C75-B47A-A9EBE6569DC2 (resized).jpeg36B34364-F639-4C75-B47A-A9EBE6569DC2 (resized).jpeg7C0D9E06-C239-46E2-97E0-361E5F6ED3E6 (resized).jpeg7C0D9E06-C239-46E2-97E0-361E5F6ED3E6 (resized).jpeg

#10200 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The art around the edge is what needs the protection imo.

The ball comes out of that saucer like a rocket, so I’m going to Mylar the entire path up to the BIB lane, as well as the area in front of the drops.

TBH I’m considering stripping down the top so I can do the entire playfield. This game has more air balls than anything I’ve ever owned.

#10203 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I was gonna say, if you’re going to put Mylar in all those places you might as well do a playfield protector.

Ugh. I bought one of those for JM, and it’s thick enough that it created lots of problems. Full Playfield mylar is probably the way to go on this one, especially if I’m going to put it on location eventually.

#10205 2 years ago

Nice, it fits the theme well.

#10207 2 years ago

Lol chill out there, don’t go crazy on the mylar. There are only a few areas worth covering up but not the entire game...
I would not worry too much or gonna end up like this:[quoted image]

True story: we made fun of our stepmother for doing that, but you know what? Her sofa looked new after all us little shits were out of her life. Lol.

#10208 2 years ago

@c0untdem0net, great advice. I dropped my DG by 3.5m, and removed the hex riser on the one-way gate. Then dropped my flippers to 220. So far I’m about 75% on righteous kills (with some sloppy misses that I don’t count). I want this game to be perfect for league night next Saturday, and thanks to this club I think it’s almost there.

#10213 2 years ago

This is the game that made me believe in mylar:

http://reelsonfire.blogspot.com/2010/10/mylar-removal-complete.html

I wish I’d kept up that blog. I was still excited about every new thing back then, and I did a lot more restoration.

#10215 2 years ago

I just pulled my Aerosmith off of a location, and I’m cleaning it up tonight. It’s crazy how much mylar Stern put on this game. The 2 saucer kickouts each get a 1.5”x6” strip of mylar. But Pin_Fandango I agree that with waxing, Stern’s clearcoat holds up really well by itself. You’d never know this game was in an arcade for 4 months.

It’s taking me a lot of discipline to clean AS instead of playing STH.

#10222 2 years ago

Okay, you guys have convinced me. No full playfield mylar. However, here’s a no-brainer PSA: turn the trough eject power all the way down, to 176. I forgot to do that for AS, and some clear chipped off in my shooter lane. Not a tragedy, just something that’s easy to prevent.

ED0DFD68-83FA-4E12-A189-8ABEF225D8EB (resized).jpegED0DFD68-83FA-4E12-A189-8ABEF225D8EB (resized).jpeg
#10225 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Thinking about buying an STH and my distributor said Stern is not making premiums anymore...? Is that true? Also... who’s gonna be the mod hero who makes an after market UV kit and projector mod?

I assume the projector uses the CN10 HDMI output from the CPU. With the Pro code, it probably has the same output as the LCD (for streaming). You could try running Premium code on a Pro, but I’d be afraid of unintended consequences.

I had no desire for a moving T-Rex head in my JP, and I have even less interest in making my STH Pro act like a Premium. It’s great just like it is, IMHO.

#10226 2 years ago

I recommend you keep the flippers full power. Game shoots much better that way

I tried both 225 and 255, and I notice that I brick the drop targets a lot more at full power. But I also noticed that I made the right ramp more often. I’ll try 240 as a “happy medium”.

#10229 2 years ago

I bookmarked a few more hours’ worth of callouts and sounds.

#10230 2 years ago

FWIW my distributor (CGR) told me he’s hearing end of May for the Stern UV Kits.

#10234 2 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

My ball still gets stuck fairly often in the spot where you get the extra ball, mystery, etc. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned to push up on the little tab above the gate under there. I've tried pushing that tab a bunch of ways with no change in results. Any other ideas on how to prevent the ball from hanging up there? I checked the angle of the PF with an inclinometer, and it's right at 6.5.

Not sure if this helps, but here’s a pic of my 1-way gate. The STH I played on location had the ball hang here a lot, and ball search wouldn’t shake it loose.

00366E13-F4CF-46B0-97C1-E5FC7BCB9E47 (resized).jpeg00366E13-F4CF-46B0-97C1-E5FC7BCB9E47 (resized).jpeg
#10242 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I know this is not an real “issue”, but I always found the fan in the power supply mounted in the backbox super loud. Ordered the quieter fan from pinballlife (I believe is from pin monk), WOW what a difference!! Doesn’t sound like my game is trying to take off anymore! Definitely recommend.

I like the lazy solution: I mount a 70mm fan about an inch over the existing one, and it just never comes on. I use neodymium magnets to hold it to the backbox, and I plug the 12V supply into the aux power jack.

#10245 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Great idea. Have a link to the fan you used? I'll go that route.

The 70mm Acoustifan I got for my AS is out of production, but I just ordered a pair of these (same CFM and noise level):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PNLRLU

EDIT: Actually decided to get the Noctua 60mm instead. It’s 17CFM (vs 20), but the same noise level:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NQMESS

I make it blow into the PSU, works great. I never hear the stock fan, ever.

#10248 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Not discrediting your solution in any way, but the fans you linked are $40-$50. Mine was $17 dollars from PBL.
Also, I may be waaay off, but I think the stock fan and my pbl fan take the heat out of the power supply (air flows out), does your way blow the air back in? Forgive me, I don’t really know how it’s supposed to work; just asking.

The Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX is just $15. [edit: blows out, not in] I’ve used it for about 3 years on Aerosmith, including 4 months on location recently.

I actually modded the heck out of my GOT, installing a hood and a larger Noctua fan. But once I learned I could just set the fan next to the PSU fan, I did that.

#10250 2 years ago

Okay, please ignore my earlier post about blowing INTO the PSU. THIS is the right way to set it up, and it’s how I had AS set up until I fiddled with it tonight to take the fan off for a picture:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/40#post-4395474

Set the big fan right next to the little fan, blowing the same direction. Or if you’re feeling adventurous you can do what I did to my GOTLE:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-cooling-mod-for-kiss-wwe/page/2#post-3186111

#10260 2 years ago

The lock targets are instant death if you hit them from the right flipper. I’ve started preferring backhand for that ramp because it’s easier somehow.

I had an interesting thing happen just now. I got through the first TI, and stepped away from the game to check on work (because the game was taking longer than I expected). When I came back, the game was totally silent, no music. I played the ball and heard sounds and callouts, but still no music. I guess at the end of the main theme, it’s not starting over.

#10263 2 years ago

After having Jurassic Park for 18 months, all of the shots feel good to me on STH.

#10288 2 years ago

I’m happy for people that will get and enjoy their toppers, but I just don’t get it. It looks like something I’d see at Spencer’s Gifts for $150, and even then I’d be a nope. I’m clearly in the minority, and I’m sure these toppers will be reselling for $2k somewhere down the line. I guess the mode integration is everything.

#10290 2 years ago

I just hope that everyone who owns the game and wants the topper can get it for MSRP. It does make me mad when people buy the topper and don’t even have the game.

#10292 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

On the other hand nobody is holding a gun to my head to make me buy them. It's a personal choice.

I think I’m the only one in my group of friends who has PDI/Invisiglass on every game, so I can relate to that.

#10295 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not even close to being worth the money. Haha. They 10 times the price of a normal piece of glass.

PDI glass is great for older games that are poorly lit. You can turn up the room lighting without causing glare. I know a lot of people go with PinStadiums, but that’s a no-go for me. I don’t even really like replacing incandescent GI lighting on my older games.

For a row of newer Sterns, I agree PDI is overkill. Just turn down the room lights, and configure the backbox lighting to dim when the game starts.

#10297 2 years ago

Speaking of lighting...have anyone added spotlights to the playfield? My STH Pro looks pretty dark next to Aerosmith.

#10301 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Outside of the UV kit, mines stock.

I think the projector helps illuminate the game. Pro is kinda dark without it. I’ve turned down the GI on Aerosmith for now so my pupils don’t dilate

#10305 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That reminded me. To allow the projector to look better, all my inserts are only 20% brightness. So my game is probably darker than yours.

That may actually help make it look brighter. I notice that when I turn down my insert brightness, my pupils open up and I can see the GI better. I should try that.

#10309 2 years ago

Bull@hit mode is the 4th mystery award if you set it for competition play. The key thing is to avoid the Mystery shot when you’re in a mode, so you don’t waste it on a “More Time”, which doesn’t count toward the mystery award progression.

#10311 2 years ago

only saw bullshit twice in 800 games, and drained shortly after so I do not even know what it does.

It’s just a switch frenzy mode, like “DOH” in TSPP.

#10317 2 years ago

I could definitely see buying this topper for a location pin. If you can pull in more plays, it’ll pay for itself pretty quickly. This topper would make me walk in to take a look for sure.

#10320 2 years ago

Bazzy, what’s up with your avatar? Please tell me that’s not someone wearing someone else’s face. Heheh.

#10323 2 years ago

swampfire speaking of avatars, yours is pretty damn cool!!

Thanks, I’ve had it for so long, I’m reluctant to change it. It’s an actual picture of me in 1922 when my dad let me smoke his pipe for a laugh.

#10325 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

1922?!
So what are you, 110 years old?

Bad joke. I’d use my actual picture, but I’m just an old white guy like 90% of the dudes on Pinside.

#10327 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Uh oh...dare I ask what you qualify as “old”? Lol

Yeah, maybe not 90%. I’m in my 50’s, so probably a bit older than the average Pinsider.

#10329 2 years ago

Anyway, this game is fun... I think it is bolted to the floor here!

I’m still in the 2-week honeymoon period, but I think it’s bolted for me too. I’m having so much more fun with it than I did with JP. I don’t know whether it’s the flow, the theme, the music and SFX or all of the above, but I’m pretty addicted. It’s all about the Drawings.

#10342 2 years ago

the fans are NOT a must. I played my game for 3 hours last night. Never had an issue with the flippers nor the TK lock.
just get the new ramp cover, that is all you need. The flippers have plenty of power even when hot.

I probably should have adjusted my DG before ordering the fans. The reason I bought them was that I could make the DG shot for about 30 minutes, then suddenly I couldn’t. After lowering my DG, the shot is almost too easy. I may move the fans to LOTR, which needs help and can’t be adjusted.

#10344 2 years ago

I think the fans help with right ramp rejects too. The flippers do get weaker over time without them; it’s just physics.

#10350 2 years ago

I installed PinMonk’s insert kit tonight, highly recommended. The gradient effect is really nice, and the 3 normally-white inserts aren’t as blinding.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03821-stranger-things-fire-brackets-set

#10352 2 years ago
Quoted from Anubis330:

Does it affect the quality of the projector???

I have the the Pro, but I assume it would only help with the projector since it’s making the insert darker.

#10357 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Next in it's spot? Probably Deadpool.

Deadpool Pro was my 2nd choice as well, very fun game. Thanks for your contributions here.

#10365 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's crazy.
Somehow the geometry must be different, because I can promise you that I can't do that on my game.

Same here. I just tried it 10 times, and I either hit the sling post or the left ramp “D” target. I’ve backhanded it on the fly a few times, but that’s just luck.

I have Titan flipper and sling rubbers, same as @chuckwurt. I think the sling rubber may be slightly thicker than the factory rubber, so I’ll go back to that and see if it changes anything.

It took me over a year to realize that I could backhand the right ramp on AS.

#10368 2 years ago

I see the problem. I need to find a way to keep the “D” target from getting pushed to the right. I’m pretty sure someone sells something for that purpose.

EDIT: found it! I need to buy like 5 of these for my games: https://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints

133F836C-A0DC-45C8-8C02-B75CC8B5AE47 (resized).jpeg133F836C-A0DC-45C8-8C02-B75CC8B5AE47 (resized).jpeg

#10370 2 years ago

If you can’t backhand the right ramp, does your right sling post look like this? I still can’t make the shot even after straightening the D target. It’s not a huge deal for me since I can make it reliably now from the left flipper.

7DC530DE-065B-4718-8B6A-B03837ED4C4D (resized).jpeg7DC530DE-065B-4718-8B6A-B03837ED4C4D (resized).jpeg
#10374 2 years ago

Link works, thanks. I’ll try to center my sling post to see if that helps.

#10386 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I have only been able to play one on route.. hard to see the projector and hit the demogorgan.. I’d like to try it at home but not at over MSRP

Don’t judge the Premium/LE based on a location game. But I don’t know anyone who’s been unhappy with the Pro.

#10390 2 years ago

I’m convinced now that backhanding the right ramp is a Pre/LE feature. I could fix the right sling alignment on my Pro, but that would be cheating.

#10392 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have the LE. No dice on backhanding the right ramp.

must be a special feature for streamers.

#10396 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Fair enough .. hair seems like the projector (and assuming it works) ball lock are great features ? I am toying with the idea of routing a game maybe I could get a pro .. play it a short time and then put it out . Seems the theme may do well?

If you plan to put it on location you’ll want to go pro, IMO.

#10397 2 years ago

I think I found a few bugs:

1. Several times I’ve gotten “More Time” with no mode running (no DD, no DG, no chapter).
2. “Monster Hunting” started when the ramp was down for a DG mode.

#10403 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you have 2x playfield or bullshit running?
Second one is a bug for sure. Can’t remember if I reported that. I would send it to the bug email at stern to be safe.

Definitely not bullshit, but possibly 2X scoring. I’ll try to set up my overhead rig and try to catch it happening again. The 2nd one I don’t mind as much, now that I’m a Demogorgon slayer.

#10405 2 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

So, I'm installing my UV kit (finally!!!) and saw this sticker on my playfield... Has this been seen and discussed? Did I just happen upon a big secret about what's happening in the old Stern factory? Or is this just something I don't understand?

That’s the code name for the game, cool that they used “Goonies”. I think it was “Furry Hats” for Guardians and “Jaws” for Jurassic Park.

#10421 2 years ago

Just going to leave these here. #bestleaguenightever

5BF82C4B-98C4-46D8-ACA6-16B9ADF2DBAE (resized).jpeg5BF82C4B-98C4-46D8-ACA6-16B9ADF2DBAE (resized).jpeg5E09BEAE-6AB4-4532-A340-5ECDCE3AFF41 (resized).jpeg5E09BEAE-6AB4-4532-A340-5ECDCE3AFF41 (resized).jpeg8D4FD9D7-F16D-48D2-A306-8CC02A607AAB (resized).jpeg8D4FD9D7-F16D-48D2-A306-8CC02A607AAB (resized).jpeg
#10424 2 years ago

I should have mentioned that we have a little tradition in our league. When someone got Wonka, one of the guys who looks like Gene Wilder dressed up as him. Then for GNR, someone came as Slash. It made those unboxing parties way more fun.

Gonna take a while for my hair to grow back out though.

#10429 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Easy to test. Start a game, stay in single ball mode and just hit the inlanes over and over with glass off and keep collecting mystery. Add time should never be awarded.

I couldn’t reproduce the “Add Time” problem. I did notice that if DD and mystery are both lit, you’ll always get Add Time for the DD attack. That might have been what was confusing me.

I got to the last DG multiball today, and I really should have gotten to TI2 but I choked my way through 2 extra balls.

#10444 2 years ago
Quoted from JCrusher:

Does Anyone with the cleland mod get random loud clips/beeps? Seems pretty random but sometimes after a game or between balls there is a loud clipping sound. I'm on 1.02, not sure if this normal or some issues with mine. I searched on the subject and couldn't find anything.

No problems for me. Maybe try flashing a different SD card, or re-flash the same one?

#10447 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've tried numerous times to get the exit of the right orbit to be consistent and I have come to the conclusion that it will never be consistent. It's better than it used to be, but I still get crap exits resulting in ball drains. I consider shots to the right orbit to be one of the most dangerous in the pin because of it.
If you ever figure something out to make it more consistent, please let me know.

I think this is like the right ramp backhand, where a specific game either has it or it doesn’t. I’ve been really lucky with my right orbit feeding consistently, but it does go SDTM if I don’t raise the right flipper to catch it - no bounce passes. For me, that’s a good compromise.

#10469 2 years ago

Demo “hits” are actually registered by optos right after the end of the ramp. Which is nice, if you’ve ever had to deal with a flaky Balrog switch on LOTR.

Quoted from DaddyManD:

Hi all,
Searched key posts and within thread but sooo many posts and could not easily find. Have a Premium and demogorgan is dialed in and very hittable from both flippers. But recently, particularly while in Can't stop this or Run Will, the demo isn't registering hits. Even when the ball sunk into his mouth it hasn't been registering consistently. Anyone having this issue and/or a fix?
thanks!

#10470 2 years ago

#10482 2 years ago

Here’s a pair of mods I just did to get a little more action in the pop bumpers:

1. Replace black rubber with bouncier white (same size)
2. Replace the narrow “Bob post” with a thick one.

This probably works better if you can replace -both- narrow posts, as well as the rest of the black rubber above the pops. However, I don’t see a whole lot of benefit to keeping the ball in the pops a lot longer in this game. If Dart is at 20k a hit, you’re still only getting 100-200k per visit. And he seems to stay an adolescent dog-Dart forever, from what I can tell with the glass off.

I also gapped the switches as close as I could, and the pops themselves are pretty responsive. I think we’re fighting geometry here, as this is not the typical 3-pop-bumper nest. It’s okay, since I hate waiting for a ball to come out of the pops on games like ST.

AD993D1D-267B-42F3-909A-FEE168873C1D (resized).jpegAD993D1D-267B-42F3-909A-FEE168873C1D (resized).jpeg

#10484 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yea. But the levels keep increasing though. Once you’ve advanced four levels you get a drawing too.

Yes, the drawing is nice - I forgot about that. Gotta grab every one you can.

#10496 2 years ago

here I am struggling with cheap drains and shit scores... I even contemplated selling the game 5 minutes ago, lol... I had like 10 crappy games in a row and I was like... ok that is it, time to get DEADPOOL...
lol

STH works my reaction reflexes, no doubt. If I’m not nudging or slap saving, games can be short. I like it for that; it’s a great league/tournament game.

Deadpool is very fun, but when I play it on location it’s a looong player. Sucks getting it for matchplay because you know it’s going to be a grind. I’d have to make it harder to enjoy it at home.

#10500 2 years ago

what do you mean it takes forever? easy gameplay overall and longer ball times?
are you guys saying that Stth > Deadpool ?

It probably depends on how the game’s set up. And they’re both great games, so that’s a very subjective question. I like games that are feast-or-famine, so that’s why I had IM for so long, and why I think STH and TWD are good for me. I’m picking up TWD in a temp-trade on Thursday (for my Congo).

#10504 2 years ago

I have tried stacking in Stth, but other than the TK + mode, I do not find they really help.
The first DD mode is horrible, too long and boring and usually avoid it if I can. lol

I’ve gotten to where I enjoy the first DD mode. The music is cool, and stacking it with the DG multiball is great because every shot is good for points, whether you miss or not. You can also rack up points by rebounding off the 2 middle targets over and over. And don’t forget double scoring.

#10509 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

are the pink monk flipper fans a must buy for this game?

Best way to decide this is to play for a few hours at your preferred angle and flipper strength (or invite some friends over). If you don’t see a problem, it’s not a problem.

#10522 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Man I don’t think my STh wants to be played tonight haha. I just played 7 or 8 games and I swear there were high powered magnets in the outlanes and SDTM. Absolutely brutal. Weird how some games just get mean some nights. Everything else is playing nice. Still an absolutely killer game and I’m going in for more, wish me luck.

That’s how it shows love. 7 or 8 games under 100M to warm you up, then one big game over 500M to show you that it was worth fighting for. I’ve never said “this is the LAST game” as much as I have with STH.

#10530 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

what's everyone got autoplunger set to? Really weak and really strong are both dicey.

150. I got tired of the skillshot-to-drain combo.

#10533 2 years ago

To make it a real skillshot, the game should reward you for using the plunger instead of the action button, e.g. make it worth 2x as much. Of course the best way to get the super skill shot is to soft plunge to the right flipper (or bounce pass from the left flipper) without hitting a switch, then nail the saucer. Not easy to do, but very satisfying and safe.

#10535 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It kind of already does with the secret skill shot (MXV). No way you’re making that with the auto launch. This is the one where you have to hit the roving drop target and bounce it directly into the saucer. 25 million for the first, plus 5 million for the ones after that in the same game.

Funny you should mention that. At one point, I was making the MXV shot 2-3 times per game with the auto-launch. I felt like that was cheating, so I changed the auto-launch power.

#10538 2 years ago
Quoted from ttown:

So many questions about this post.. My daughter was Eleven for Halloween and well that memory is now ruined in my mind.

Yeah, but did she cut her hair for the role? Let’s see who was more committed.

To answer those questions:

1. To make my friends laugh, and to fulfill a league tradition for new games.
2. The largest size they make
3. I burned it and threw it away

#10558 2 years ago

I always go for the middle drops while there’s a ball saver running, then shoot up the middle for word completion. If I’m fast enough I can have the ramp lowered for DG1 just about the time the ball save expires. Then I try to stack DG2 with DD1 and a chapter mode (I think this is possible).

I love it when Upside Down starts right after launching the ball. That’s a free ~30M points with no risk!

#10559 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My favorite bullshit sound bite is drunken Nancy. Haha

I’ve actually swapped out the long tilt sound (0x10) for drunk Nancy saying “This...this is bullshit”.

#10569 2 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

So I made up a decal for my door ramp. The colors aren’t quite right but I still think it looks better than a big silver ramp. Gonna live with it for a while and see if I want to stay with it.

That looks great, and if nothing else it will keep your ramp from getting beaten up.

#10573 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just put up a big final challenge score. Let’s see if anyone can beat it!![quoted image]

Close, but no cigar. But I was pretty surprised when I finished the challenge and the flippers died. I didn’t expect to get through it that fast. LOVE this challenge mode, it’s very similar to Jericho, which was what I loved most about Iron Man.

I got sloppy with the final phase and killed the DG with a beat-down instead of a kill shot. Next time!

835B4F07-330A-42DB-81B9-4B18F8EFA607 (resized).jpeg835B4F07-330A-42DB-81B9-4B18F8EFA607 (resized).jpeg
#10575 2 years ago

I went to a friend’s house last night to do a temp trade, and help run his league night on Matchplay.events. I looked up and saw this thing, and immediately thought “WHY AM I TIED UP?”. This game has gotten into my head.

98F2F64E-D6A2-42EF-8E13-946A37F2E9FA (resized).jpeg98F2F64E-D6A2-42EF-8E13-946A37F2E9FA (resized).jpeg
#10578 2 years ago

I beat the challenge again, so it might be time to move the outlane posts back to the top (factory setting).

#10580 2 years ago

Yeah, you really have to max out the double scoring, and always be burning it back. The first time, I had 2X going at the end and got 200M for killing the DG, that’s key.

#10593 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I really have mixed feelings about being able to play Final Showdown without getting there by playing the pin and qualifying for it. Takes the magic away.
But I realize that there are a lot of people who like the feature since you can practice it before you get to it by playing, and some people feel like they would never see it otherwise.

Yeah, considering how hard it is for me just to start Total Isolation 1, it may be a few years before I start Final Showdown organically.

#10596 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Is it true to say that while 2x is running, if you collect a mystery then your guaranteed to get 'add time'?

Unless there’s a multiball running, in which case I think you always get add-a-ball.

#10626 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Only issues are the left orbit guide sends the ball to the sling and the right orbit switch isn’t registering. I’ll figure that stuff out tomorrow.

I had a few switches that weren’t registering: BiB, right outlane. Put the game in switch test mode with the balls out and playfield up, then use a leaf switch adjuster to tweak the switch actuator.

#10642 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you recommend cliffys or another type of protection for the drop bank?

It shouldn’t be needed as long as the drop target is level with the playfield when it’s down (or just a hair above). The drops will protect the slot.

#10646 2 years ago

The majority of the callouts and videos in the game appear in these 2 “WatchMojo” videos, so they’re well worth watching for context if you haven’t seen the show in a while. Especially if you’re rocking Cleland’s code, which you definitely should be!

chuckwurt this might merit a key post, assuming these videos stick around a while.

Also check out:

#10651 2 years ago

I was one shot away from TI2 again last night. Getting so close is what keeps me coming back to this game. I actually blew it because I was so focused on finishing the mode to get my 11th drawing. Must focus on TI2 next time.

#10654 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Damn nice work on the drawings. I have yet to get that extra ball. Need to focus on that next time I play.

One of them came from a mystery award. Another good reason to avoid that shot during multiball, modes and 2X scoring

#10660 2 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Anybody have some pictures of the stern art blades installed?
Contemplating my options. Ive searched and not easy to dig up for some reason.

I’m generally anti-mod, but I love the Stern blades for this game. 2nd picture shows an installation issue I need to fix.

06F4D1C6-3C83-405B-9B49-BFECD4DD1DFD (resized).jpeg06F4D1C6-3C83-405B-9B49-BFECD4DD1DFD (resized).jpeg1B61015F-BC6E-43E2-B0A0-7D4D1186D13F (resized).jpeg1B61015F-BC6E-43E2-B0A0-7D4D1186D13F (resized).jpeg67343C03-DE34-4DBE-A2BB-5D217C60362B (resized).jpeg67343C03-DE34-4DBE-A2BB-5D217C60362B (resized).jpeg70E422EB-945E-4BBF-8F99-A5D81ED203B2 (resized).jpeg70E422EB-945E-4BBF-8F99-A5D81ED203B2 (resized).jpegFFE4ACA3-CBE8-4FCA-A3F1-987DD117FA47 (resized).jpegFFE4ACA3-CBE8-4FCA-A3F1-987DD117FA47 (resized).jpeg

#10667 2 years ago

I hope they use the opportunity to add some bell and whistles too! I dunno anything.

That’s what Pinball Browser is for

#10678 2 years ago

This game is really hard for my skill level, with that said, I’ve noticed that after only playing this game, other games seem easier.
So I guess it is making me a better player.

That’s exactly what happened to me with Dirty Harry. Games that used to seem hard became easy. I never should have sold that game.

#10679 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree. But objectively, it’s a minor bug. It doesn’t happen every time and it’s a moment that only a small fraction of players will see. That’s minor. It’s not game breaking.

Agreed. I emailed Stern about the Monster Hunt / Demogorgon bug, which is objectively bad. You’re in a mode where the major shots are blocked by the ramp. Not a huge deal, and I still love the game. But it would be nice to be able to play the mode the game picked for me.

#10682 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Intermittent bugs are very hard to reproduce. The only reason why they know what it is, is due to me sending multiple videos showing two different cases of weird end of Final Showdown behavior.
The reason why they don’t (agree or disagree), is because it’s not revenue generating. At this point, unless they find a pocket of time between games, don’t expect anything else with this one.

Fun, and hopefully relevant story. In the early 00’s, I managed a software team that did the DVR application for millions of cable settop boxes. This was before the streaming era. There was a Yahoo group about our product, and it was the first time that a software team could be crucified on the internet. People said “The manager needs to be fired!”, but I was living and breathing our product. We rushed it to market with lots of bugs, because Product people were joking “kill the engineers and ship it!”. As the engineering manager, I would read the newsgroup and focus on what most people said were the problems. And I mean, unless 5 people said it was a problem, I would ignore it. We were drowning in our vendor’s bugs (the vendor was pretty much forced on me). We had recording reliability problems, so I set up a tiger team to fix them. Our first release didn’t even properly support series recording. We were all working until 10pm.

Our QA team didn’t like me focusing on the newsgroup, and there was a lot of shit to sift through. But if I saw a recurring theme (“My recording just disappeared!”) I would log a critical bug and ask my team to focus on that.

I don’t think software business practices have changed that much in 20 years. Managers have to focus on the career-ending bugs, buy a lot of pizza and hope things work out alright.

As an epilogue to this story for anyone who got through my wall of text, we used to go after work to a place called “Lupita’s” to play Revenge From Mars and drink beer. So I hunted down an RFM until I found one, and that’s partly why I love the game so much.

#10684 2 years ago

yeah, I think something needs to be changed there, I run into this issue often and the risk reward is very low to get the demo out of the way.
I just actually lost a game at 600M due to this, literally due to this.
Today I was able to get past 500M twice. First time since I got this game. I think I am getting there! I want to cross the 1B mark!

I think you mean the risk/reward is HIGH to get the demo out of the way. Especially if you’re on “What’s That?”.

#10687 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Has anyone added any supplemental lighting to their game? I am torn, I like the dark theme, but I play in a dimly lit (on purpose) room. On either side of this pin, I have a TMNT and a Star Wars both with PinStadium Neo. They make the Stranger Things look very dark.
I was considering Pinstadiums (not the Stranger Things specific ones, just the regular ones because I am going with Stern's UV kit) but have the brightness at like 10%. But I think even that is too much. I could always do spotlights. (FWIW - My kids are deadset against the Pinstadiums on Stranger Things) I wouldn't put bright bulbs into the spotlight. I have hundreds and hundreds of LED bulbs from years of upgrading and some of the original LED bulbs are dim compared to today's bulbs.
Just wondering if anyone has done anything here.

Your kids are right. Ask yourself why you had to add PinStadiums to your other games in the first place. If the room lighting is too low, fix that first ( I have my high-quality LED room lights on a dimmer). Then if the glare bothers you, buy glass to fix that ($250 a sheet, in bulk). I have pins with incandescent lighting, and nobody ever complains that they’re too dim, because the room lighting makes up for it. That’s just my little opinion, but I know I’m howling into the void. People would rather make their games look like a grocery store than solve the problem holistically.

#10701 2 years ago

dinot I’m not a fan of PinStadiums, and I’ll just leave it at that. I do like your idea of adding a few spotlights. I’m with you on preferring a dim room for pinball. I usually turn the room lights up just enough so that I can see the ball on my dim games. I can play Aerosmith in the dark, but Stranger Things is a little tougher.

#10712 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

IMO, the Tilt Graphics “wooded” art blades are far more appealing than the stock Stern blades. Check them out if you get a chance before you decide.

Yeah, these look great:

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/stranger-things-gameblades-stern

#10724 2 years ago

I’d like to buy a Premium translite, if anybody has one for sale. Nothing wrong with the pro TL, I just don’t like seeing Eleven perpetually stuck in the first few episodes. Apparently someone was selling the Premium TL on eBay but they’re out.

#10734 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

There is one on ebay for a good price, but its labeled as a pro. I think he has 1 left

I must be blind, I can’t find any STH translite auctions. I’ll keep looking though, thanks!

#10739 2 years ago

Most times, I can get a Stern opto working again just by resoldering it, or fixing an alignment problem.

#10757 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Saw this beginner's guide to Stranger Things rules, on Deadflip. Thought it should be in here and suggest it as a Key post

Key posts seem rare here, but we can always search for the text “key post”

#10761 2 years ago

Seems crazy that even the person who started the “club” can’t mark a post as a key post. I should have realized that, since I started the Metallica “club” way back when. Check it out, only 5 key posts in 8 years!
BEEF707F-CBF0-4049-AB3C-D70F6957676D (resized).jpegBEEF707F-CBF0-4049-AB3C-D70F6957676D (resized).jpeg

#10762 2 years ago

Hypothetical question. You walk up to Stranger Things in a tournament setting, tilt is tight and outlanes posts are at the top, no extra balls. What’s your strategy? I think I’d tackle these goals, in this order:

Light Spell of Protection
Demogorgon 1
Start a mode at the left ramp, but try stack it with TK multiball.
Try to start Demodog during multiball
Demogorgon 2 (bring in a mode if I’m just 1 shot away)

If Upside Down started, I’d take the risk as long as the shot was over 3-4M, but trap up after that.

#10767 2 years ago

I would walk up to the game. Then survive.

No sir, that’s The Walking Dead.

#10768 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Definitely completely avoid upside down. One secret skill shot is worth the same.

Are you sure? I can sometimes get the full 30M (7.5M*4), and I’m getting pretty good at catching rebounds.

The MXV shot is 25M, but it's nearly impossible for me. I’ve been going for the super skillshot (soft plunge and get it to the scoop) instead.

#10776 2 years ago

It’s not obvious (to me) when I’ve hit enough DD targets to earn a Drawing. It seems like I get the drawing at the end of the mode, not at the moment I earned it. I always try to bring a chapter mode or MB into that first DD mode. Then if I’m sloppy with my chapter or Jackpot shots, I pick up DD hits.

I agree that safest way through DD1 is to hit those 2 targets under the DG.

#10790 2 years ago

I think this will be the last run of Pros as well. As much as we all love the game, it’s not a chart-buster like IMDN or Metallica or Deadpool. I’d suggest to anybody who’s waiting for a Premium: grab a Pro while you still can.

#10809 2 years ago

I discovered a new flipper technique that works great for me. The feed from the mystery area is pretty reliable on my game. If I bounce pass (dead flip) from the left flipper to the right and backhand the ball on the fly, it clears the right ramp with surprising regularity. And when it misses, it hits the Burn It Back shot, which is great too.

Another thing I love is when I hit BIB 2-3 times in a row and launch it into the pops. The ball is moving like a rocket by then.

#10812 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve been doing this since the game came out and have posted about it here numerous times. Sure you just didn’t subconsciously remember that and started trying it?
But yeah, that’s a fun shot for sure!

I only went back a month in the posts before I bought my game. I gave up on trying to catch up on anything earlier, but if I’m ever stuck on a long flight...

[EDIT: I’m going to read all of @chuckwurt’s posts today, that’s the good stuff ]

#10822 2 years ago

What do we call this shot? A bounce-flip? I’m going to start doing this more on my other pins.

#10824 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Maybe a dead backflip?

Love this, that’s exactly it.

#10840 2 years ago

I agree, the shaker is well worth it. I love the effects when the car lands upside down at the start of TKMB, and when you kill a DG.

#10860 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

with all these car mods on this game you would have thought that someone would have made a hawkins van that you can mount upside down on the top of the left ramp

I have Joyce’s green Ford Pinto - I need to decide where to mount it.

#10861 2 years ago

I haven’t seen Replicades mentioned here yet. These 1/6 scale (12” tall) replicas sell for $130 on release, then go for $400-600 on eBay a few months after they sell out. Anyway, I thought 2-3 of these would make a cool topper for STH. I snagged an Asteroids today, and pre-ordered the change machine at sideshow.com.

https://newwavetoys.com/products/1943-x-replicade-overhaul-edition
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/replitronics-usb-charge-machine-new-wave-toys-905900

#10863 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

If I didn't have the official topper I'd totally do this. I have some of those. I have DL and Asteroids, and 1942 & 1943 are on order.

How were you able to order 1942 and 1943? I subscribed last week, but they haven’t sent me info on ordering. BTW I’m super envious of this guy’s collection:

#10865 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I also have a spare NIB Asteroids that I was thinking of throwing on eBay in late fall.

Yeah, I just paid $200 (shipped) for mine. I’m sure by October they’ll be $400+ too.

#10894 2 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Other than the upcoming UV kits and another run of toppers, the Stern accessories are rumored to be done as well. Get 'em now I suppose....

Probably too late - don’t see any Stern accessories in stock at Marco or Pinball Life.

#10898 2 years ago

I remember the exact moment when putting an LED in something and selling it for $$ became a thing. It was when the first Iron Monger came out with the LED in its chest, for Iron Man (this was before the vault came out). I’m not even being critical, I kind of golf clap every time I see someone selling a $15 item for $70 by making it “interactive”. Go capitalism!

BTW I’m not talking about LerMods or MezelMods - those are really well done. You know what I’m talking about. 3D-printing a Twinkie and putting an LED in it for Ghostbusters, for example.

#10913 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Any 3rd party making a projector kit for the Pro?

D25D6034-71BE-4BD3-B024-93CD425423E7 (resized).pngD25D6034-71BE-4BD3-B024-93CD425423E7 (resized).png
#10918 2 years ago

2 washers on each side worked well for me.

#10928 2 years ago

Stern UV kits are supposed to ship in July.

#10933 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Any reason not to order the premium/LE version of the kit if you have a pro ?

I get more Lazarus balls with the plastic apron. Seriously, it bounces back out once in a while.

#10939 2 years ago

I’m normally the first one to swap in warm white bulbs, but the cool white works for me with how blue the playfield is. You can turn down the GI brightness. I also replaced the factory purple GI with cool white in the slings and lane guides.

PinMonk’s red/orange insert brackets are the first thing anyone should install, they look amazing and his shop pics don’t do them justice:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03821-stranger-things-fire-brackets-set

#10950 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Plasma disk has no place in this game. Makes no sense.

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. These insert brackets for Burn It Back and 2X scoring, the other hand, are on-fleek.

170ABF1B-80E2-4945-817E-1A2AE862B587 (resized).jpeg170ABF1B-80E2-4945-817E-1A2AE862B587 (resized).jpeg25C31561-6CA0-4080-9262-E9886AC9489B (resized).jpeg25C31561-6CA0-4080-9262-E9886AC9489B (resized).jpeg

#10953 2 years ago

Without @pinmonk’s fans, my 5th game plays very differently than my first game. This is most noticeable with the Demogorgon shot. I consider it money well-spent.

#10976 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Telekinesis has nothing to do with electricity, hence my confusion.

My question is, how come Eleven has to use her hand like Darth Vader sometimes? Heck, she flipped a van and broke an arm without using her hands.

#10977 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I think they’ll be some Huo up for sale next year for sure by owners ready to move on.. only question is if they’ll be $8k or $11k.
Actually that makes me wonder, besides tron, have any other sterns (premiums) ran up a lot in price due to scarcity?

I had a chance to buy a NIB Premium for $8200, but I passed and got the Pro for $2400 less. That savings got me halfway to a nice TWD Pro that I just bought.

#10984 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Are both the Pro and Premium problematic? Or is it one or the other?
Thanks.

Minimal problems with my pro. Pre/LE have more stuff, so more to tweak, but I haven’t read about anyone on this thread having issues they weren’t able to fix themselves. Zero playfield or cabinet issues that I’m aware of.

#10996 2 years ago

Nobody should have trouble selling a Premium for close to what they have in it, if they got it for MSRP. I guess this is location and country dependent though.

#11005 2 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

About to pull the trigger on the pro. Can't find any of the Stern UV kits. Does anyone have the pinstadium kit? How is it?

Just politely tell your distributor that you won’t buy the game without the Stern UV kit. I know that Jason at Classic Game Rooms is making sure he has commitment from Stern for a UV kit for every STH he sells, so that’s one distributor you could work with.

#11010 2 years ago

Interesting - I assume that ties into the purple GI string somehow. Stern’s UV kit comes with a node board, but that might just be for electrical isolation. I guess the main benefit to the Stern kit is the plastics and the spare apron.

#11023 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Isn’t that setup kinda spendy vs cost of 2 coils?

You don’t want or need stronger coils. You want coils that don’t get weaker the longer you play. That’s where the fans come in.

#11031 2 years ago

I’ve got a good basis for comparison. I just finished a LOTR playfield swap, and I used the “medium strength” LOTR coils (you can get them on eBay). I’ll play it for few months to see if that’s a reasonable substitute for fans. With the stock coils (2004), people at my parties got mad because they couldn’t make the ramp for Destroy the Ring with a clean shot.

I can’t imagine wanting more power for STH (Pro version, at least). The ball already comes off the drop targets like a rocket, and I can make the ramps just fine. I just want consistency.

#11034 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I never mentioned it because it isn’t needed imo. And I only did it to the right flipper.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

#11088 2 years ago

If someone saves me a few hours of hassle, I’m happy to pay them for it. There’s not nearly enough talk about PinMonk’s red-orange brackets for the BIB/2X lights. Those are well worth the $30.

#11092 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sure, but there are plenty of people in this hobby who love to tinker, and make their own mods. Many people consider it part of the fun of the hobby. It seems like some people are actually discouraging others from doing their own modifications instead of buying one that someone else already made. That makes no sense to me, especially in this hobby.

I spent 2 hours today assembling McFarlane’s “Darryl’s Chopper”, for my new-to-me TWD. Tomorrow I’m going to tackle the 600+ piece prison tower. But that’s the kind of mod tinkering I enjoy.

#11094 2 years ago

I love getting my hands on boards and cables and I actually do not enjoy toy mods, I never find anything I like, so for me it is all stock unless there is a really nice and well done mod.

There you go, different strokes for different folks.

#11115 2 years ago

If some are saying this game is too easy, and others are saying it’s too hard, then it must be just right.

#11122 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

it’s good for some easy breezy flips but it’s not a serious players home game imo

Either you’re a top 100 IFPA player, or you’re full of baloney. This is more of player’s game than anything in my collection. I even find TWD ago be easier than STH.

Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

My theory is, as long as you trap and shoot religiously without ever flailing, all fan layouts are easy.

Whenever someone says “fan layout” my eyes roll back in my head. Any 2-flipper game is a fan layout, by definition. Because what else would it be?

#11127 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

The first demodog mode is retarded, other than that I love the code.

I like this mode now, other than not knowing when I’ve actually finished it. Stack it with a multiball. Or spam the 2 targets under the demagorgon.

#11130 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not to mention the sounds for hitting the targets in that mode are fantastic.

YES! I love that sound.

#11133 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

, having to wait to time it out is brutal.

People like us who know the rules will have an advantage in a tournament. It’s easy enough to avoid the shot to start DD until you’ve first started a mode. Yeah, you’re robbed of the ability to spot shots until you get it out of the way. But when that happens I just focus on the right orbit and left ramp.

#11136 2 years ago

I just want to record for posterity that I passed on a NIB LE for 10,750, and NIB Premium for 8300. I’ll check back in a year to see how I feel about those decisions.

#11154 2 years ago

That’s not too bad, but it sucks that they didn’t wrap the head to protect it.

#11199 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you really only experience the pro you’ll never know what you’re missing.
But if you put a lot of time on the premium, it’s a huge step down to the pro in terms of the experience.
The up charge is never worth it on the premium or LE models imo, but the game is almost always more fun.

Respectfully, I disagree. I played the Premium about 20 times before I decided to buy the Pro. I didn’t get to play the Pro before I bought it, so that made me nervous. Turns out the ONLY thing I miss about the Premium was its much better cabinet and translite art (I’m surprised nobody mentioned that). And LE, even better than Premium.

The differences in rules and layout are smaller for Stranger Things than for any other Stern I’ve owned. “Swipe a ball” is the only rule upgrade I know of. Compare that to GOT, where you get a whole other playfield with its own set of rules, and its own multiball. For STH, it’s mostly about the visuals you get from the projector and the TK lock.

Anybody want to sell me a Premium translite?

#11200 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

As above, I do have a loaded Tron pro to offer in trade. Granted it would take someone specifically wanting to add Tron to their collection but Trons with the mods and condition of mine aren't in abundant supply either.

I wasn’t all that interested in Tron until I realized that it’s Borg/Sheats, just like MET and TWD, which are amazing.

#11203 2 years ago

Here’s the advice I’d give a new buyer right now. If you can find the Premium for under $8700 (with UV kit), and you’re comfortable working on things, buy it - you won’t have any trouble getting your money back out of it. In hindsight, I should have done that too. But if you can’t find the Premium (that’s most of us now), get the Pro and put $2500 into QQQ or a weekend getaway. It’s totally fine without the projector.

#11206 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m talking about playing it 1000 times then go to the pro. It’s like the whole game is missing.
If you get used to the extra stuff, it’s obvious when it’s taken away.

Okay, I won’t do that.
I think I know what you mean though - when I play a GOT Pro, it feels “wrong”.

#11209 2 years ago

You can backhand the lock shot on the left ramp on the Pro. It would be a very different game to me if I couldn’t do that. Sure, you can set up virtual locks on the Prem/LE, but then you don’t get the TK magnet - am I right about this?

#11211 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

No, you can have both.

Ah, cool. So if it makes the wall, you get a physical lock, and if it misses you get the virtual. That makes sense. Same as Aerosmith.

#11214 2 years ago

If you’re interested in a Pro, this is the best gameplay video I’ve seen for it. This is the one that helped me make my decision.

IMO the Pro vs. Pre/LE discussion is academic if you don’t have the game yet - the Pro is the only one left to buy. It was my favorite pin until I brought home TWD.

#11216 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Premiums still pop up, and if they're dialed in, better than NIB.

That, I definitely agree with! If I’d played a Premium that was working right, I might have made a different decision.

#11219 2 years ago

I’m thinking of changing the eject back, so that it gently hits the drops. Making it go through the BIB loop feels a little like cheating, especially when I get 2 BIB’s for a weak feed. I’ve also noticed that I tend to get SDTM drains when the ball doesn’t make it all the way around.

#11223 2 years ago

I had to adjust the left target on the right ramp so on weak BIB where it comes back hugging the rail it hits it and lands on the left flipper. For me all that meant was making sure the target was perfectly centered in the hole.

Yeah, I’m having a hard time keeping that target fixed in place.

#11228 2 years ago

The ramp is directly over the saucer, so they would have had to add a curve to the ramp to make a VUK possible.

#11233 2 years ago

Pre vs. Pro is a religious debate.

I think a lot of it depends on what you plan to use it for. I like the Pro, because generally you can put it in a location and have less to worry about. I also like having moar pins.

If I ever pick up a Deadpool or Iron Maiden, I’ll go Premium. Maiden for the artwork, and Deadpool for the drops and ramp changes.

#11238 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Or a game was for sale local enough to take a drive

That’s how I ended with with my GOTLE. It was listed for about $800 under MSRP, with the topper. Had 50 plays on it. It’s a long drive from Atlanta to Orlando, but it was totally worth it. I went back for his AS a year later.

#11245 2 years ago

Give it a few days, let yourself get dialed into the shots.

#11255 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballFuries:

I got the game in September 2020. A few days have turned into many months. Just trying to progress past TI1. Loads of fun but seeing everyone else’s success, I was trying something different.

Don’t feel too bad. I consider myself a fairly good player, and I’m finding TI2 to be really elusive. When I get frustrated with the chapter modes, I play a lot of Demogorgons and Demodogs to see how far I can get with those.

#11258 2 years ago

I'll take the bait... but OH SO SATISFYING once you get it dialed in - such a cool effect with 3 balls on the wall!!

Balls to the wall!

#11279 2 years ago

The real beauty of this game is that there are many ways to crush it. I call it a “broad” game, rather than a deep game. You could win a tournament just stacking Demodog with a multiball. Or you can decide you’re just gonna play Demogorgon modes. The Chapter modes are just one way to play it.

I’m probably different from most collectors. The first thing I ask myself is: “would this be good in leagues and tournaments?” Stranger Things is top 5 for me, by that measure. It’s not a long player, and the rules have some good risk-reward built in.

#11280 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Anything under 1bil at this point I consider a weak game

Alrighty then.

#11287 2 years ago

If I got hung up on completing games, I wouldn’t enjoy pinball at all. But at the same time. I do like to have some kind of mini-Wizard like Cherry Bomb or Total Isolation or Bloodbath to keep me motivated. Aerosmith, for example, is great - but doesn’t have any mini-wizard modes, which makes me a little sad.

#11292 2 years ago
Quoted from Lilpro66:

Arerosmith has 1 mini wizard mode achieved by playing all the songs without completing them all.

Ha, I guess I suck. I think of that as a wizard mode, since I’ve only gotten it once in 2 years. But I don’t time out modes, I play them out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

371 posts in this topic match your search for posts by swampfire. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=swampfire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.