IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pocketholeshot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5291 3 years ago

Hey @chuckwurt, my buddy has a Premium that I'm trying to help him with regarding his TK lock.

I read all the info about dialing in the TK lock, got all the adjustments and measurements perfect but it seems even worse now.

In the pic below there is about .5 mm of play between that black alllen head bolt (circled in yellow) and the sliding piece below it. Is that normal, or should I tighten that up? It's not mentioned in the Stern PDF. It's a pain to get to without removing the whole ramp so I'll have to get some stubby allens I think.

Inked437f18140648ea8214d699ff493cb3207cd1971e_LI (resized).jpgInked437f18140648ea8214d699ff493cb3207cd1971e_LI (resized).jpg

Thanks for looking. I've enjoyed reading through this thread btw, lots of great info.

#5304 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does the diverter pivot smoothly when you manually engage the plunger for the diverter that is behind the backboard? I’d say you don’t need to adjust that Allen screw as long as the mech pivots freely. I added a tiny drop of zoom Spout oil to my pivot point under the ramp after cleaning it up as the rubber pad underneath was gunking it up and it was sluggish. Haven’t had an issue since.
You say the mech performs worse now. In what way? Is the ball getting pinched and coming back down the entrance of the ramp? Or is it making it up the diverter but not far enough for the magnet to catch it?
The adjustment that will affect the performance the most drastically is the movement of the diverter mech bracket from behind the backboard.

The diverter pivots very smoothly. My thought was the extra play from that bolt was absorbing the energy of the ball and making it not go up the ramp. It seems that the timing of the diverter is too early and it rejects the ball just as it makes the turn up the ramp. Most of the time it doesn't even start going up the diverter arm. I'll try and get a video of it today and post it.

#5321 3 years ago

chuckwurt Sorry it took so long but I've got a video of the play in the mech I was describing. I think most of the play is coming from the main pivot (the one with the big circlip on it). Take a look a the video and let me know if that is normal if you would please.

I adjusted the mech some more and now I'm not getting rejects at the turn, but even strong shots are only making it up the diverter arm maybe 40-50% of the time. I followed all the instructions you mentioned as well.

I tried to tighten that allen bolt at the pivot but it didn't remove any of the play in the mech really.

#5332 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This amount of play looks normal. Your diverter looks too close to the back board and your ramp is definitely not sitting out from the back wall like it should.
Did you remove the snug plate screw and push the whole ramp towards the player and retighten all the ramp entrance screws?

I moved the diverter back out some more and it is working a little bit better now. Still not great though. I put the ramp in spec with the stern pdf but I'll try moving it closer to the player and see what happens.

3 weeks later
#5614 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did you read through this whole post? I added a ton more recently. Need to do more than just the pdf. There are things you need to do a tad differently than the pdf too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

Update:

chuckwurt Sorry for the late reply again, haven't had much time to work on the mech.

I've got the diverter working pretty well now. I'd say about 90% are locking appropriately. I've been using a digital caliper depth gauge to get the measurement from the end of the diverter to the back wall. The measurement that is working the best for me is .790 inches.

Also lubed the rubber washer pivot with zoom spout oil, even though the pivot wasn't rough. I'm not sure if it was the precise measurement or the lube that helped the most though.

We additionally installed the flipper coil fans from pinmonk and the kit was very nice with clear instructions. Well done PinMonk !

Now that the mech is working pretty well, the enjoyment factor of the game is definitely up! The game is finicky to set up for sure, but so worth it once it's all clicking. Thanks for all the tips, suggestions and advice!

4 weeks later
#6114 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So I have a temp fix or maybe permanent for some if you're having trouble hitting the demogorgan mouth and the ball is hitting on bottom opening of the mouth. I took a small strip of cardboard from a priority mail box and mylared it to the end of the ramp to get a bump lift on ball and works great. There may be a self adhesive material about the same thickness that may do the trick, maybe even silver colored to match the ramp color. Here's a picture of the priority mail box size if the thickness varies on different boxes.
[quoted image]

I was inspired by the post made by manadams about using a strip of cardboard on the demogorgon ramp. The mouth shot on my buddy's premium is super difficult and you could tell it was hitting low most of the time. I used a strip of heavy duty self adhesive Velcro (hook side) cut to fit the ramp. Now I'm hitting the mouth shot on 80%+ from the cradle! A huge improvement from the maybe 10% accuracy before. I'm not sure how long it will hold up but I cut extra strips out to have on hand in case it gets beat up. This improved the game so much. I can actually hit the super jackpots in Run Will and Can't Stop This now!

It would be nice to have a small self adhesive, wedge shaped piece of high durometer rubber strip to go on there. It would look a little cleaner and probably be very durable.
20201029_081746 (resized).jpg20201029_081746 (resized).jpg20201029_081755 (resized).jpg20201029_081755 (resized).jpg20201029_081817 (resized).jpg20201029_081817 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#6781 3 years ago

I can confirm that my buddies's premium also has has the same issues as C0untDeM0net is experiencing. Sometimes the center shot doesn't register, or it will award the mystery shot instead. Not very frequent, but it does happen.

Also ever since 1.0 code, the left ramp shot also awards the left orbit shot sometimes. Weird little bugs, could it be related to code at all since so many are experiencing it?

#6811 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The game couldn't have gotten a better ambassador. Always positive even during the initial steaming pile of a release (so many problems!) Not sure it would have turned out as good as it has now without him helping Stern resolve the issues.

I agree! chuckwurt has been a valuable asset to enjoying this game for a lot of people. Stern should recognize him for his service!

3 months later
#9313 3 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I’ve held off on buying a classic arcade until this happened....
It’s on its way [quoted image]

That looks awesome! coasterguy Have a link for the manufacturer?

1 month later
#10408 2 years ago

I have played two pros on location, an LE on location, and my buddy's premium. I can backhand the right ramp on all of them. Not easy but it is doable and once you get the hang of it, it's repeatable.

1 week later
#10588 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCoinSlotTC:

Any ST owners interested in a Schwinn to go with their game? Cleaning out my storage and forgot I ordered this back in 2018. It's NIB, and cheaper than most toppers!

TheCoinSlotTC

I'm interested. Can you PM me with a price?

3 weeks later
#10979 2 years ago

I don't usually post scores but this was such a rush I had to. Standard settings, tight outlanes on my buddy's premium. Scored poorly on Send it Back but finished Final Showdown and even got a super jackpot in Snow Ball!

20210616_103920.jpg20210616_103920.jpg
1 year later
#16141 1 year ago

I had the Send It Back bug bite me hard last night.

I was playing at my local arcade for the pin of the month high score challenge on an LE.

Long Ball 3, I start send it back. Finish the mode fully except for the last demo shot. Game freezes for 20 secs, then just ends. No bonus, no keep shooting. Just game over and enter initials. Finished with 1.7 billion but missed out on about 600m in bonus.

Argh! So frustrating! I hope they fix this soon!

#16151 1 year ago

I had the Send It Back bug bite me hard last night.

I was playing at my local arcade for the pin of the month high score challenge on an LE.

Long Ball 3, I start send it back. Finish the mode fully except for the last demo shot. Game freezes for 20 secs, then just ends. No bonus, no keep shooting. Just game over and enter initials. Finished with 1.7 billion but missed out on about 600m in bonus.

Argh! So frustrating! Ihope they fix this soon!

Quoted from maxharvard:

Man, I must doing something wrong because I just got through the first Isolation mode with only 350M... what the hell am I doing wrong to have such a low-assed score?
I started the first TK MB on a mode, got an add-a-ball and still for some reason can't crack 750M even when i get past Iso1

Keep at it Maxharvard! The scoring really starts opening up after Total Isolation 2, (Second checkpoint mode, after finishing 8 chapter modes). I scored over 200m just from 2 super jackpots in TI2. Also bonus can be really big on this game, so stay on top of lighting your inlanes, especially during MB.

I was at "Send it back" which is the season 1 mini wizard mode, so pretty deep in the game compared to Total Isolation 1.

Personal best was around 4.5 billion on a premium.

#16162 1 year ago
Quoted from maxharvard:

How about this shit, huh?
Just took a break from work, fired up the STh machine, ball 1... made Iso1, 2 Demogorgans, 2 TK MB's and an extra ball.. 6X bonus of 250M... First ball drained with 550M.
Ball 2, hits the pops and flies hard into the outlane.
Ball 2+ (Extra ball) - 2 modes completed and drains HARD down the middle.
Ball 3... hits the drop downs and SDTFM.
650M total.
Just... the fuck.

OUCH! I've been there before lol. That's the worst feeling after a great ball 1 like that.

If you're getting drains off the drop targets often, I use the following strategies to avoid that.

1. Shoot drops when ball save is on (pretty obvious)
2. Primarily shoot right side drops from right flipper only - avoid drops from left flipper
3. Sneak past drops when possible to complete "words" for demo modes - mostly from the downed right side drops
4. Never ever shoot drops on the fly on this game. I can't stress this part enough!

1 year later
#21707 53 days ago

Not sure if anyone else has seen this.

I was doing a shop job on an LE and underneath the far back center return ramp for left orbit, I found this.

20240302_095103.jpg20240302_095103.jpg

I think it's Barb when she's dead in the upside down but I'm not sure. Someone should confirm with Brian Eddy or the game artist!

#21784 51 days ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

“Run, Will!” Demo Mode Confusion:
In this MB Demo mode, the ramp is almost continuously raised and lowered, forcing me to trap up and then wait for a chance for a kill shot. If I don’t trap and just flail instead, the poor ramp’s leading edge gets jammed often by random shots up the middle.
Is the continuous ramp action coded into this mode or do I have a confused switch?
Thanks.

That is the expected behavior:

Run Will!: 4-ball multiball. Phase one, shot the Demogorgon during the hurry-up to lock in the jackpot value. Phase two, all the drops are lit for jackpots. Collect those to light the Demogorgon for a Super Jackpot hurry-up worth the total collected jackpot values; however, the ramp leading up to the Demogorgon will lower and raise every second or two. Collect the Super Jackpot to start the jackpot phase again and work towards another Super Jackpot hurry-up.

#21838 49 days ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

The quest to improve TK lock consistency continues. Next on the list was removing play from the main pivot for the moving ramp. This is secured with a large e-clip, and access and upgrade is surprisingly simple. No other disassembly required. Details follow.
Put the playfield on a set of jacks to make access easy. The main pivot has considerable slop, something you can easily verify on inspection. You can get at the main pivot and the e-clip from either the side or back. I used a screwdriver to remove the clip. There’s a single washer holding the top of the cam plate. First pic shows OEM washer (middle) and the upgrade washer (right). The OEM washer is about 55 mils thick. Center hole is 1/2”. I had plenty of washer with this same size, and found one a bit thicker, around 90 mils. Substituted this washer, replaced the e-clip, and verified I still had a smoothly functioning cam plate and pivot. See pics, below. This removed almost all the slop.
This mod combined with a thicker washer on the stepped-bolt on the other side of the cam plate has removed nearly all slop from this assembly. You still need to align this by the methods stated in the sticky threads, and when all was done, I now have a very smoothly functionning TK lock. No rejects on good ramp shots now. Hopefully, this holds up in the long term.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

DiabloRush Your two posts regarding this need to be stickied! Posts 21541 and 21552

I was inspired by this post and applied this same fix to an original run LE that I have been doing a shop job on for a local operator. I am now at >95% lock rate and the mech just feels so much better! Even on a deep game nearly an hour long with no flipper fans, I was still consistently locking balls. I had attempted all the documented adjustments before this and never had consistent success.

The main pivot washer is the primary culprit in the mech sloppiness. I replaced the washer with a larger one, just like DiabloRush did.

I only had a few on hand, so I had to file/sand it down in order to not bind up the mech. The final measurement I got was a 2.35 mm thick washer. The original washer combo was about 1.95 mm. I also replaced the secondary pivot washer with a slightly thicker one. I didn't measure this one as it seems to have more give due to the locknut on the bottom. I had the left ramp removed anyway for a teardown, so it made the job super easy.

This allows just enough play in the mech to function, but eliminates any extra movement.

I then followed the stern adjustment procedure that has been out forever.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

If you haven't done this to your game yet, you should give it a shot! Now if we could only find a source for the exact washer size so we can get these distributed to all prem/le owners. I also wonder if the new run mechs are as sloppy as the original. I'm sure they could be improved too.

The fact that Stern couldn't figure this out by just putting the correct freaking washer size in is really mind blowing.

#21849 48 days ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

How to Cheat (Yourself?):
Today, for the first time, I skipped all the work necessary to reach two different wizard modes. I vaguely knew this was an option in SPIKE2 gamecode but I hadn’t got around to trying it. As I assume most of you already know, these are called Challenge modes and are available by pressing/holding both flippers before starting a game. They could just as well be called Take-Heart or Cheat modes, however, as they are the ultimate skip-ahead indulgences.
The verdict?
Well, there is certainly something to be said for pressing Start and - wham! - you’re in the mode. Try “Send it Back!” Challenge and you might get your pinball fix for the whole day in three minutes. It’s quite the rush!

There is still one mode you can't get to via the challenge modes. After you beat Final Showdown in the actual game, you get the mode, but not via the challenge path.

So there is still incentive to beat Final Showdown in-game.

1 week later
#22025 39 days ago
Quoted from Drac:

I've got a new Premium and put maybe 30-40 games on it so far. The most frustrating issue I have is the TK lock will lock the first two balls no probs. For any further shots up the left ramp, the ball hits the two balls already locked and comes straight back down the ramp and SDTM. On my last game, I must have had 5 clean shots up the left ramp, all hitting the 2 locked balls and coming back down the ramp at me.
The attached photo is how my first two balls always lock. I think when the 3rd ball goes up the L ramp, the diverter jump thing collects the lower locked ball when it raises and blocks the path for the 3rd ball.
Anyone else have this particular problem with the TK lock?
I love the sounds and visual effects of the game and can really seeing myself getting into ST, but these kind of issues are so far just killing it for me!![quoted image]

Perform the washer replacement for the TK pivot mentioned recently in the topic index.

This goes for old and new versions.

I find this makes the biggest improvement. You still need to follow the adjustment guides, but eliminating the slop in the mech is crucial.

2 weeks later
#22266 24 days ago

I'll be streaming some Stranger Things LE in just a few minutes. Stop and by and say hi!

https://www.twitch.tv/pocketholeshotpinball

20240329_201507 (resized).jpg20240329_201507 (resized).jpg
#22280 22 days ago

Has anyone ever found a source for these stand up target plastic rivet spacers?

Stern seems to think they don't exist....

20240403_060856.jpg20240403_060856.jpg
#22284 22 days ago
Quoted from MacGruber:Not sure but I was wondering if you added mylar because of the insert ghosting? Or are the inserts raised?

Yeah the inserts are a mess on this game, it has been on location for years.

I've mylared a few but need to address that light lock one.

#22285 22 days ago

Thanks @chuckwurt! $30 is steep as I already have a replacement decal set.

Oh well, that's the only place I've seen them.

They are weirdly cheaper at Marco, but out of stock...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=502-7125-00

#22287 22 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I must be missing something. If you have replacements already, what do you need more for?

I have the decal set from pinball life, which did not include the plastic backing rivet spacers.

https://www.pinballlife.com/stranger-things-projector-screen-decal-set.html

I had one of plastic spacers break into pieces, I forgot to specify that.

#22291 22 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I've made my own. Cut up an old credit card and use a hole punch.

Good idea, might go that route.

#22292 22 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

On the original run, those spacers were just thick decals. I don’t think they were plastic. They were just thick sticky foam basically. Then the thick white screen decal goes over that.

They are definitely plastic. I had one shatter into 4 or 5 pieces. Not the same one as shown in the picture. I already tossed it. This is an original run LE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pocketholeshot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=pocketholeshot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.