IMG_3106 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2775 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2771 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2756 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5171 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5170 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

654 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinmonk. You are on page 1 of 3.
#3511 3 years ago

So is Stranger Things the first pin Stern has cost-reduced the cabinet screened warning out of? It's just a black sticker with yellow print now. Was BK or JP that way? Every time I think Stern has cost-reduced every possible thing, they find something else. Durability rating of that sticker for routes is -7.

#3513 3 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

I got a sticker on my JP Premium. Cabinet dated Jan 15 2020.

Oh, right. The build date on this Stranger Things is also January. I wonder if this started in the new year? Whatever the case, more lame stealth quality degradation by Stern. Boo.

#3519 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Such an awesome game and theme the playfield needed to be schmick....my local playfield restorer just finished my custom requests for me! Original playfield planked...

You can just link the youtube video directly and save people the facebook tracking:

Looks pretty cool. How long are you letting it cure before installing it?

#3521 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Sorry for the link stuff up! I'm not super IT savvy.
Cure will be about 3 months.

Heh, 3 months sounds great. I let a ToM cure for a YEAR before I installed it - just to be sure.

#3528 3 years ago
Quoted from unwallflower:

Bought a Stranger Things LE last week - my first pinball machine! Finally got it unboxed and set up today. Updated the code, and when I turned it back on it’s been stuck on “initializing” for ~45 minutes now... is that normal for an update or should I try to reboot it? I don’t want to turn it off while it’s doing something if this is normal.

Reboot. Power off for a good 15 seconds and try again.

#3530 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Officially joined the club on Saturday. Broke a new personal record for distance traveled to get a machine. Anyway, I absolutely love it. You guys that say this has that "one more game" feel are right on the money. Two questions and pardon me if they've been addressed. Both have to do with the shot to the left of the demogorgon (Mystery, Demodog shot). Ball seems to get hung up on or downright stuck under the gate on that shot sometimes. Any solutions on that? Also, why does that shot register a walkie talkie? Thanks!

Check to see of the ball gate there moves freely. Also, what is the pitch of your playfield set to? Level side to side?

#3532 3 years ago

Yep, that did it. Thank you!

If it happens more, you might have a bad SD card. Keep an eye on it. Failed boots seem to be a symptom.

#3540 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Thank you for responding. May I ask what you mean by “moves freely”.? It definitely seems spring loaded in that when you push it, it snaps back.

Just make sure the gate opens fully and closes completely. Sometimes the little bent part on the side is too long or bent wrong and gets caught when moving, preventing the gate from opening and closing correctly.

If it happens a lot, you can also slo-mo record that area with your phone when you make the shot to see if reviewing the video will give you a clue.

#3578 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Okay what’s the trick to updating Stranger Things. I download the software to my scan disk Fat32 formatted 64gb hard which is brand new. When I plug it into the usb on the board and turn on the machine is doesn’t read it.. Do I have to do anything with the dip switches?

What did you unzip the files with?

#3600 3 years ago

Is anyone getting clipping out of mostly the left speaker on 0.90? Some of the callouts when there's an effect playing at the same time (and music) gets very crunchy and I think the speaker's clipping.

#3610 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

So... what's the lockdown bar button for?

Same as iron maiden. Launching the ball, entering the high score letters, starting the game. I assume the video mode will use it, though.

#3613 3 years ago
Quoted from Gee_Bananas:

n00b here,
Don't own a single pin and considering a STh Premium as our first for the fam. Code aside, all the mech problems kinda scare me (TK ball lock, ramp gap, flipper power, ball post...etc.) especially for someone who has NEVER worked on a pin before. I'm not adverse to being hands on, just wondering if it's worth the trouble/$ for a first time pin owner; especially since I may not even know if there is actually a problem!
Local dealer is selling a premium, with UV kit. I don't know how many plays it has, and don't know if he's tweaked it/tuned it all the way.
Go for it? Get a NIB from a distributor? Or go with a safer option for a first pin?

Get a Deadpool Prem. Circle back to STh once the code is more mature and issues on the Prem/LE are worked out. Deadpool Prem/LE is fantastic. Play it, enjoy it for a year then decide if you still want Stranger Things.

#3640 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not true on my game. A shot that’s a guarantee no doubter lock on game one, will be 50/50 by game 3-4. Same for the demo mouth. That same spot on the flipper that was 100% mouth before will now be 25-30%.
Somethings up homie.
I’ve had my pitch from 6.0 to 7.5 and doesn’t seem to make a difference on my game. So I put it to 6.5-6.6 range and left it.

Might be worth trying an iphone app that calculates the speed of an object from video. Measure at the start of play and then again 30 minutes later to see if the flipper power has faded.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/speedclock-video-radar/id400876654

#3673 3 years ago
Quoted from Leo13:

Also, I have issues with my TK Lock as well, and I think the diverter is not closing fast enough when the balls crosses the optos.

Did you try recording it in slo-mo with your phone to see if it really is the optos triggering the diverter too slowly?

#3719 3 years ago

Re-did the DANGER sign on the left ball return in 3D to eliminate all the visible screws. The "DANGER" lettering is angled towards the player, also. The mounting is similar to the Iron Maiden 3D Anubis I did where it's all hidden to clean up the top and get rid of 3 giant screws ruining the look. Working on the one for the right side now, too. I'll sell them as a set with the mounting hardware and tool to install them.
ST-DANGER-Hidden Mount-sml (resized).jpgST-DANGER-Hidden Mount-sml (resized).jpg

Also have a gradient red to orange lens bracket made for the "Burn it Back" insert. When I settle on a final color for the 2x insert, I'll have all 3 up in the pinmonk store as a set.
After-sml (resized).jpgAfter-sml (resized).jpg

#3721 3 years ago

I'm not proud to say I've spent WAY too many hours fine tuning, adjusting, testing and re-testing this POS lock mech.
I am 100% sure that raising up/moving the plastic cover and bending up the angled metal hood has helped, but it's still inconsistent. Grrrrrrr
However, I still really love this game though. I keep pressing start! I actually bought STH only 14 days after I recieved my Medieval Royal and I've barely touched Medieval since. That's saying a lot I think

Well, the shot maps are almost identical, so that's not a huge surprise.

#3723 3 years ago
Quoted from Makarov:

My tilt graphics order arrived, sideblades and a cup holder
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The woods art blades look pretty good. I wish they did something with UV-reactive inks, though. Not much of a difference...

#3730 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

So I am still having problems updating my game using my I-mac. I've downloaded the Pro version from Stern's website and then copied the file to my USB Fat32 formatted drive and when I put into my game it doesn't recognize it's even plug in to update. Anyone else have problems with Mac?

You can't just copy the zip file you download. You have to take the files OUT of the archive you downloaded and then put THOSE in the root of the USB.

#3736 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Like this? Just take the exec file out of the folder?
[quoted image]

You want the two files on the left in that picture in the root directory of the USB drive.

#3750 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Love the code update!!! The game is getting better and better!

You won't love it as much once that bitch Barb plays her indian-giver routine a few times, stealing 40 mill from you each time. I used to be sympathetic to her character, now when she gets pulled into the pool, I cheer.

1 week later
#3888 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Still ignoring them. Make them 20 and 30 million and I’ll play along. Having the ball on a flipper is still more important to me.
I have gotten good at plunging the middle two drops to a ball guide bounce to a trap though. That’s been my go to.

10 million with 2x playfield lit should give you 20 million for that saucer shot.

#3945 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I have a pro and my demo shot magically settled in about 3 months ago. My flipper on the other hand continues to stick after about 6 to 8 games. I haven't taken it apart to date. My wife plays the game every day and doesn't want it to be down. We just live with the sticking flipper at this point.

Replace both coil stops with the pinball life one. Your flipper will stop sticking. You likely have a broken coil stop. Soon you will have two. Stern ships ones they know are defective.

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

Easy fix. Takes about 10 minutes total to do both.

#3950 3 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I agree with you. Horrible designed mechanism. I still like the machine, but this does ruin the gameplay. And it looks like you can't make the flippers any stronger. They are already maxed out.

You could put a stronger coil on it, but then you'd be beating the crap out of the closer stuff like standups.

#3952 3 years ago
Quoted from monte_:

I think I will leave the coil alone for now and see what Stern says over the next month or two. Thanks for the advice.

It will probably end up as a damaged design, even with fixes. We'll see if Stern does better than just eventually disabling the feature and calling it "as designed" like they did for the GoT diverter issue.

#3960 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Ah and I just got my first down vote for no reason. I feel like I'm finally a real member of pinside...

You haven't truly arrived until you get a downvote from dingleberry. I got an upvote from dingle once and it bummed me out. Seemed wrong.

#3972 3 years ago

Couldn't figure out why the ball was suddenly getting caught under the demogorgon sometimes. Took it apart to see what was happenening and it turns out the one-way gate on the left had come out of the bracket. Irritating to get to and fix when a factory crimp on the wire after it was fed through the hole in the gate bracket would have stopped this from happening at all.

Wire off the gate bracket...
ball-trap (resized).jpgball-trap (resized).jpg

And fixed...
ball-trap--fixed (resized).jpgball-trap--fixed (resized).jpg

#3980 3 years ago

Anyone know what the "Demodog spinning target" in the feature matrix for Pro/Prem/LE is talking about?

EDIT: NVM. It's the spinner for the left orbit with the demodog sticker on it.

#3983 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just played for 45 minutes like this, only going for demogorgon modes, and the demo shot was money the whole time. The ultimate test will be to play normal until I can’t make the shot anymore, then turn the fan on wait ten minutes then start playing again. I’ll report back on my findings. May solve the issue of the magnet lock becoming inconsistent after extended play too. But I can’t test that until my new plastic cover comes in. I messed mine up elongating the mounting holes and bending the metal hood. [quoted image]

Haha! Looks like it's time for a PinMonk power flippers quiet fan kit.

#3995 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballer247:

I am really wanting to buy a NIB pro but concerned about the recent playfield issues! Have any of you had any problems with your pro, premium or LE? I know the playfield will dimple I just don’t want any clear coat issues, pooling/chipping. I’m sure several of you will suggest I get a premium or LE instead of the pro but I just don’t want to drop the coin for one right now. Thx for any advice!

LOTS of dimpling (even in areas that don't get airballs like under and to the left of the demogorgon), but no clear pooling or chipping on the one here.

#4014 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can’t think of a single game that’s incomplete outside of new games that are still being actively worked on. That’s feature complete. Every game could use tweaks and bug fixes.

Munsters is the only true stinkbomb in the Spike era that Stern calls complete that literally is almost exactly as INCOMPLETE as Batman '66 was at launch. Unfortunately that was Dwight. But from the stream, it looks like TMNT is a much different story, thankfully. Munsters will be a stain on Dwight's rep for a long time.

#4020 3 years ago

Stern's over-use of giant screws to secure (i.e. mess up the look of) plastic pieces to playfields and ramps always bugs me. It's no different with Stranger Things. So, I redesigned the DANGER and hnl plastics in 3D and made them hidden mount, eliminating all visible screws. Once I got those done, the corner on the left suddenly looked wrong, so I made a matching hidden mount corner piece for that, too. Should have the set of three in the Pinmonk store pretty soon.

corner-compare (resized).jpgcorner-compare (resized).jpg
corner_close (resized).jpgcorner_close (resized).jpg

#4052 3 years ago

So this is the last of the Stranger Things mods. I used Stranger Things to make it, but it's actually a universal item for any of the Pro/Prem badges on Stern Spike 2 machines to dress them up a bit. Choose a color (the GIF below is a bunch of them chained together), pop the badge off, snap it into the frame and re-attach. The frame still has a small lip, even once the badge is installed. It really dresses up the area. It'll be in the PinMonk store tonight.
Stranger-Things-Gold-Trm-Before-and-After_600x.gifStranger-Things-Gold-Trm-Before-and-After_600x.gif

#4055 3 years ago

So I just had yet another crash on .92. I've lost count now.
This time it was a ball draining down the left out lane. I received "mystery is lit" and then the game crashed.
It has happened so many times under so many different scenarios. I don't see a common denominator here.
I've emailed Stern previously yet I hear nothing back so I don't know if they're even checking.

They're redoing mystery entirely last I heard. It seems to be involved with a number of the crash bugs in various ways.

#4058 3 years ago

Before I thought the extra ball/mystery lane was connected with the crash. But this was when mystery was lit from the outlane.

It's whenever mystery is involved, strange things (as in, unintended) can happen.

#4067 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. What is that?

Well, I guess we know what they went with to drive the projector video. Seems weird that they wouldn't place an order with that scrubbed from the ROM.

https://www.wandboard.org/

Only question now is which model did they go with.

I'm guessing this one, since it's the cheapest I see on a quick look, supports 1080p/30 and has HDMI out:

https://www.wandboard.org/products/wandboard/WB-IMX6S-BW/

Probably $40-50 or less in quantity.

#4079 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Just a heads up for you Pro owners. My right ramp didn’t come with an air ball deflector. I haven’t seen any Pro with one in pics yet. I have had massive airballs and the ball whipping so fast it doesn’t go thru the optic. I emailed Chas and two days later the deflector showed up. Looks like the Prem/LE have em. But reach out to Stern and they will take care of you.

What piece are you talking about? The one that goes over the switchback part of the ramp? If so, the Pro I've got has it.

#4102 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I only expect a few of those to be done. They seem to tweak the modes with every update.

Mirkwood needs more time or less ramps. I've literally only finished it once. ONCE.

#4104 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think it has the longest timer at 60 seconds. That’s fine imo.
I have only completed it it once or twice, but don’t think it’s too hard. Love the callouts from hopper too. Anyone maybe it past the 5 million callout?

Shaving a couple ramps off the completion requirement would make it more achievable. I've been within one or two ramps of finishing quite a bit, but only DONE it once, in a multiball.

#4106 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

See that sounds like the perfect difficulty. So close so many times, then the few times you do get it, it’s awesome.
Also since the wizard modes scorings will be based on mode success, I don’t think all the modes should be gimmies.

It's too much like chopping wood with the repetitive same shots, and then failing almost all the time. Not fun. Maybe throw in a third shot after every 3 ramp shots, so it's 9 ramp shots and 3 of the "other" shot or something.

#4133 3 years ago
Quoted from Initiative:

shooter rod delivered today - connected to CN15 running .94 code on my prem. no lights. anyone hear from stern on what the dilio is here?

Does the new 0.94 code activate the lighting or add a setting in the menu to turn it on?

EDIT: I didn't notice anything on either the adjustments or diagnostics menus for 0.94. So...

#4140 3 years ago

So does anyone have the stern shooter rod working?

No one on pinside. Seems like it's probably a code thing that hasn't been activated yet.

#4172 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also vireland not sure if you noticed but Mirkwood timer is now 70 seconds instead of 60

That was the first thing I noticed. Brian Eddy and I are of one mind, apparently.

Also found a couple more bugs in 0.94 already.

#4174 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I like how mystery can start modes, Demo modes and upside down now. Can it also advance you in a mode?

It can cause problems now, though. I had a condition where one shot to the mystery lane spotted me an insert which started Monster Hunting, and the mystery award itself started demogorgon, so I had a Monster Hunting mode that was blocked by the demogorgon ramp and impossible to finish.

And I do not like that video mode isn't even on the mystery list as a "to do" now.

#4178 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does the demo mouth spot the center drops like in total isolation? I would think they would’ve taken care of that here as well.

I don't think so because when the demo mode was over, nothing was completed on Monster Hunting and I only had a few seconds before Monster Hunting ended. I'll pay closer attention next time it happens.

The other bug I found was a slow rolling backhand up the right orbit that activates the switch to start a mode can CHANGE the mode after it starts if the ball dribbles back down and hits the switch again right away. I slow-rolled and barely made the switch, which started Mama mode (saw the marquee screen for the mode), looked down as the ball came back and actually PLAYED Turn up the Heat mode. That was a weird one.

#4181 3 years ago

Stern official shooter rod light will not be lit until the next code update, confirmed. Don't bother swapping node boards or checking voltages, it's not active in the code yet.

#4192 3 years ago

I think having the two cars balances the playfield well. The upper left corner was pretty bare. It is funny playing and not seeing the ball go all the way around that ramp though. So used to that.
I also found this little Dart creature as well but have not found a spot for it yet.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I dunno, the cars just seem way too big because of the main Demogorgon setting the scale for the area. It makes it seem like it's a season 3 Demogorgon as big as a car or a house.

What's the scale on the Dart? If it was smaller than the main demogorgon (about half as big), that might be a logical choice for crawling out of the pops or where the upper right car is.

#4194 3 years ago

The scale doesn't bother me on the cars. They would have to be way too big to match the scale of the main monster. The dart is about 5 inches long and probably pretty close to the scale of the main demo monster. Maybe an inch big. All theoretical of course. Not sure how big dart was in the show at that point. It was right before it changed fully into a demodog.

Yeah dart was like a large dog when it was hit into the basement in the LURE DART mode. Only a fraction of the full demogorgon and way less than a car, so the scale would be all out of whack.

#4199 3 years ago

So digging into the flipper fade issue. I now have the fan brackets made and have started getting baseline temperature ranges before I kick on the fans and see how much (or if) they help. These are the same fans as the SFAN-001s I sell to quiet the meanwell Stern 500W power supplies, so they're small, quiet, and only draw a small fraction of an amp each.

The flipper coils definitely heat up, but since I've never tested them before I don't know what's normal yet. In my first relatively short game, they went from 76 degrees (basically ambient room temperature) to 115 degrees when the maybe 5 minute game ended. Strictly from (perhaps flawed) observation, holding seems to be worse than flipping, but both raise the temperature of the coils. Left and Right max temps were within 1.5 degrees on the game I played when it ended, which I thought would be a wider range based on what flipper I favor.

The mount the brackets use piggyback onto existing hardware on the underside of the PF, so it will be completely reversible.

#4203 3 years ago

Completed some more testing of the coil temps. Played a few games, including a long-ish game, concentrating on flipping a lot and holding more than I usually do. Again, the coils started at about 76 degrees. This game I started noticing fade happening when it was in the 140s. Severe fade when it was in the 150s. My probe refused to measure after 157 degrees, so I need to get another gauge if I want to see how hot the coils can really get, but I already have enough data to see what difference the fans make. Basically, if I can keep the coils in the 120-130 temp MAX the coil power should remain consistent through a whole game, no matter how much you use the flippers for flipping or holding. Keeping the coil power as perfectly consistent as possible through every game is the goal here.

#4205 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think it's obvious to everybody that you and your ilk ( chuckwurt , etc.) are WAY smarter than me. (Of course, I rode the short bus to school and took classes in a closet, so...) What's the normal operating temperature of a coil that's been played for a while. Are the temperature readings you're getting consistent with other games, or way out of whack?

That's the problem, I have no idea what the normal range is for flipper coil temps because I've never measured them over time (has ANYONE?). Back in the LotR days, I just bought the brute force coil and called it a day, happy I could finally still make the ring shot at the end of long games. Never occurred to me to measure the temps and see about installing cooling fans, which I think would be the better approach because that way the coil isn't overly-strong at the start just so it can brute force its way through when it gets hotter later.

But on Stranger Things, the fact that I could easily feel the fade coming on in the 140s and it was severe and undeniable by the 150 means there is clearly room for improvement. I had the meter connected and set up to the right, so I could just look at it when I started feeling weakness in the flipper shots. I'm actually surprised this issue hasn't been raised in tournaments, since fade on long games does affect your ability to make shots.

#4206 3 years ago

Okay, just finished testing with the fan installed on only one side so I could compare with and without. The prior tests show that I used/heated the left and right fan almost equally when I play, so that's good enough for this next comparison.

WITH the fan kit installed, the right flipper coil range was 79-94 degrees over the course of the game, and it varied up and down a few degrees during the game, not just up.

WITHOUT the fan kit installed, on the same game played, the left flipper coil was 79-123 degrees. It never went down, only up. 123 was where it happened to be when the game ended.

This was about a 7-8 minute game, so it didn't come close to fade level, but these initial results are very promising for being able to keep both coils at a consistent narrow-range performance level from beginning to end with no fade at all once both sides have the flipper coil fan kit installed.

=================================
EDIT: Played a bunch more games now with the coil temp probes installed. Some of the games lasting 10-15 minutes and the fan is even better than I expected. At the end of the longest game, the temps were:

Left flipper (no fan) 130F and still rising (never going down)
Right Flipper (fan cooled) 97F to 101F degrees (stayed in this range)

So the fan kit flipper coil was 30 to 33 degrees LESS than the uncooled coil that would have kept rising in temperature! I think we have a winner that will work for all Spike 2 Stern machines to prevent even a small amount of flipper fade on long games. I'll be finalizing the mounting hardware and wire harness design then sending some test kits out, then once those are field tested, these'll be in the Pin Monk store.
=================================

#4211 3 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Just a thought but has anyone got the stranger points mystery award? I noticed that the score was all ones and zeros is there a binary code hidden message? I don’t know how to read binary but just a thought.

It is 8 digits, which is a byte, so that's suspicious. But if you run it forward you have 216, and if you run it backwards, you have 27. Neither seems especially significant offhand. Pretty sure it's just about the Elevens.

#4230 3 years ago

Spent a bunch more time and it seems like the cooling kit on each flipper prevents it from getting to even 110F. Usually it hangs around 97-102F. This is a huge improvement over nothing on the flippers when it maxed out my temp probe at 157F.

Flipper fade seems to be impossible once these are installed for each flipper.

Getting the production harnesses made now and should have these available in a few weeks. I'll keep playing and testing this until then.

cool-kit-right (resized).jpgcool-kit-right (resized).jpg

#4232 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great to hear man! And those are great and sneak right in there.
Yeah my fans have made the game much more consistent, but these are much better than mine it seems.
So glad you took this on. I’ll be buying a set for sure.

Yeah, I had to redesign a few times to get it to fit right, there's less space than you think. I settled on the slightly angled setting because the mount already put it off to the one end of the coil, and straight on was very tight to the GI lighting socket below it. I might have to adjust the brackets per machine if other titles benefit from it, but it works well for Stranger Things.

I'll also probably be collecting coil play temp data from here out on new machines. My results from this one were pretty surprising.

#4234 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have a buddy metallik that puts baby fans on all his stern games.

Having seen the temperature range of an uncooled Spike2 coil now, I'm actually surprised it's not required for tournaments to have cooling to keep the temps in a stable fade-free range. Without it there's no way to guarantee one player isn't playing at a disadvantage to others from too-hot coils that have started to fade. Paying close attention once I knew what to look for, fade on Stranger Things starts in the 130s, gets very noticible in the 140s, and ridiculous in the 150s.

#4236 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah they are so powerful though that none of the games until now really suffered from the fade. Maybe change the timing of shots a tad bit, but never made them unhittable.

People have told me they have felt it in long Iron Maiden games. I'm putting probes on that machine next. I also made a modified version of the fan bracket with a slot to hold the probe precisely over (we'll, under if the playfield's down) the flipper coil that I can use on any Spike 2 machine now to gather more data.

But even changing the timing of shots due to a slightly sluggish flip that increases over time could affect tournament scoring.

#4243 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

since the new code I haven't had many games under 350m, and hit the 750+ 3 times.
But cant beat my 14 year olds 911m.

Definitely seems like the newer code is higher-scoring.

#4247 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I've felt the same way you do about how the flippers feel after 20 min or so on this game. That said now that my TK lock is really adjusted well I don't think it makes a difference and it also doesn't make a difference in a friend who has his lock set up similarly. I haven't tried the fan yet, but I've thought about it. All I'm saying it should be possible to objectively measure what you and others are experiencing - I wasn't able to do it and I do see that anyone else has either. I also agree that when the coil voltage is the same, the resistance increases (due to heat), then the current must go down along with the magnetic field strength. All I can say is this doesn't seem to be the predominate factor, or even yield measurable difference, in terms of how quickly the flipper actually moves. I would love to see someone demonstrate an effect that can be objectively measured. If this is a real effect it seems it should be not only easily measured but effect every Stern game made and that simply isn't something that I or most others have noticed - at least beyond the right flipper on this game.

Might also boil down to play style. From the temp data I gathered over the past week, holds do not raise the max coil temp as high as a lot of flipping.

#4253 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I'll give you that. Mine got up to about 120F max with play, you describe 157F and it sounds like it may go even higher than that as you were near the limit of your ability to measure it.

Heh, I went OVER the limit of my ability to measure temp with current hardware. 157F is where my probes got off the train. But after setting the baseline for increase of flip vs hold, it was obvious flip made coils hotter than hold, so I was concentrating on flipping as much as possible to get it into a "long game fade" quicker than it would normally happen.

I'm pretty sure you can brute force the fade with a bigger coil like in the LotR days, but that will be stronger for everything from the start just so it's not less strong when it fades. What are the unintended consequences of that? More airballs? More wear faster to targets? Cracked ramp entrances? I think keeping the existing coil design within baseline temp ranges where they perform well consistently is a better plan or I wouldn't have spent the time on it.

I will say that it's frustrating to play the game for temps when I can't get the cooled coils over 95F now without really grinding hard.

#4273 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I have an issue where my flipper really sticks after about 20 minutes. I was going to rebuild the flippers but my wife didn't want the game to be down during the lockdown. She probably has about 400 plays on it. I've been thinking it's time to investigate the issue. Stern told me it could be a potential issue with the coil. Could it possibly be the same issue? I'm not experiencing weakness though.

Pretty sure this is the coil stop like others have said. It's a 10 minute job, total, if that. I'd swap them out immediately.

#4275 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

What the hell?!? I'm having the game of my life (ended up being 650 million when my previous high had been around 350 million. I'm on the second Total Isolation. I'm getting jackpots left and right. Eleven is staring at what looks like Castle Byers, the ramp starts to come down, I'm getting excited, not knowing quite what to expect, and then ramp stops half way. What's up with that? Software glitch? There is no malfunction with the ramp. I played a couple of games after where the ramp functioned as normal.

You got to the secret sequel mode to Bullshit, "F-you." It's a lot less charming.

#4279 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve done it once and it was for around 200mm. Crazy.

So definitely want to start 2x before that mode.

#4285 3 years ago
Quoted from Makarov:

The tip on starting multi during demodog mode has made that mode a lot more fun for me thank you chuckwurt. Having a blast with the machine.
I ordered the shooter rod hopefully they light it up soon, I'm surprised there's nothing on the stern site that says it doesnt light up

From what I heard, the shooter rod light is targeted for the next update.

#4298 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Hello ST owners! I got this coming this Tuesday. Can't wait to play ST! Any mods I should know about besides Hopper's Blazer? TIA!
[quoted image]

Well, quiet fan kit is the only must-have I've got, but there are some other nice ones to put gradient color in the white inserts, too.

#4306 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Yeah, a buddy of mine told me you cannot use the plastic protectors with the UV kit. I wonder if he knew what he was talking about. Thanks, I am gonna look into that! (Can't wait to get my machine).

The protectors go UNDER the plastics, so I don't see how that would be a problem for the UV effect...

#4310 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Temp is really the only thing that makes sense (as far as flipper performance), when you get the shot set up properly. You could always hook up a clamp meter (then push max read button) on the primary winding. Test on a fresh game and then test after 2-3 hours of play. Or maybe check it with a gauss meter to see if that value has dropped overtime.
Obviously there are other problems with the mech, but as you know you can mitigate those with adjustments.
Fans might drop the temp 5-10 degrees? Think I might go the LOTR coil route though, or just keep it disabled for now.

Fans drop the temp up to 57 degrees. The uncooled flipper in my test maxed out my probe at 157 degrees when I worked the flippers hard in a long game. The cooled flipper? Barely over 100. Now, with both fans installed, I can't even seem to break 100F TRYING, so that means zero flipper fade for as long a game as you can manage with the fans installed, which is a huge improvement.

Stranger Things flipper fade seems to subtly start in the 130F range, then get bad in the 140Fs, and gets ATROCIOUS in the 150Fs. I'll be gathering flipper temp data on all the Sterns from here out doing realtime temp with/without comparison graphs. I'm surprised no one has done it yet.

But yeah, I'm firmly of the belief that keeping the coils in the factory design cool so they perform to original spec is the way to go rather than brute forcing it with much stronger coils and potentially breaking or cracking stuff prematurely over time just so the flippers have enough oomph for a long game.
cool-kit-right (resized).jpgcool-kit-right (resized).jpg

Everything's done for the cooling kits (brackets, fans, hardware). All I'm waiting on are the wiring harnesses because I have to build some protection into them in case a fan shorts out or something. Should be a matter of a few weeks and they'll go in the PinMonk store here on pinside.

#4321 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

In the process of moving and got the game setback up and played for the first time in while. I love playing it but really still feel like I have no idea where I am with modes. Dont really see how I am starting a mode or not seeing much direction how to complete the modes. Only played a few games but I def think I need to find a recent tutorial. Adding the UV kit in the next week or so which will make the upside down even better.

Just watch the large round yellow and orange inserts (I put a green line next to) for the four main shots (left orbit BIKES, left ramp WALKIE TALKIES, right orbit WRIST ROCKETS, right ramp BINOCULARS). Each time you complete one of those shots it lights an insert in that lane. When you have them all lit for a lane it's time for a mode to start.

WHICH mode you start is determined by which of the mode inserts are lit (the orange "Y" shaped circle bunch below the two left shot inserts, and the yellow flaccid dick and balls-shaped ones below the right shot inserts)

lower_pf_shots (resized).jpglower_pf_shots (resized).jpg

#4323 3 years ago

I've been wondering what hidden messages Eddy is trying to send here...

#4328 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Perfect thx
Are the modes random?

Count covered that part, but I forgot to mention that shooting the mystery lane to the right of the left ramp also will spot an insert two or three times to help get you into the first mode.

#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It will spot shots until you’ve played two modes.
The saucer will spot demo dog targets until you’ve played one demo dog mode too.

Haha, I never paid close enough attention to realize it was spotting that many.

#4357 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Wow, that's a substantial drop.

It's an extreme case, but I played the game long and hard to really test the limits. 157 is where the left coil maxed out my probe, so it maybe could have gone even higher. But most people are probably hitting the 120-130s for mid-length games, and fade just starts to be perceptible in the 130s from my experiments.

But yeah with the cooling fans, getting even over 100F is very hard.

#4372 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Curious why don't other Stern games exhibit this overheating of the flipper coils? I would think this is friction related with this model or the coils are underspec;d. You shouldn't need fans on flipper coils. Kudos for your creative problem solving to enjoy the game with snappy flippers but I would think this is a parts issue that Stern needs to address. Did anyone contact support?

It's been mentioned on long games for Iron Maiden, TRON, and (a couple posts up) Black Knight 3 as well. Having measured the temps for Stranger Things in-game, I'm sure there are others and people just didn't realize it.

The issue is threefold, first you have to have a mid to longish game, second a play style that flips a lot instead of holds makes it happen more, and third you have to NOTICE the shot timing is changing (VERY SUBTLY at first, but once it gets into the 140F+ range, it becomes obvious) AND realize it's due to the coil temp. Most people that have had it happen don't realize it's the machine and not them. It took chuckwurt weeks to think coil temp could be the issue and he plays a lot. Mortals didn't have a chance.

#4412 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I noticed that the new ramp has already cut through the new mylar in 2 days. Is there a way to not have it open at the end of every game?

That definitely should be an option in the settings. I hate it's down in attract mode.

#4415 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Your guys’ ramps are down in attract mode?
Pro or premium? Mines never down in attract mode. And it’s always cycling through projector images.

Pro.

#4421 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Fellow pro owner, ramp is down in attract as well. I also have a line building on a new machine. Only a matter of time now.

Brian said he'd put a system option to leave the ramp up in attract for Pros on the list of things to do.

#4437 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

For the people that can hit the demo mouth, does it work with both flippers?
I adjusted mine but can only make it with the left flipper if I hold it and it's a perfect shot.

Left flipper is easier but right does work. There's a very narrow range on the flipper to shoot and have it go in.

#4447 3 years ago

I'd be interested to see what the demogorgon looks like after trimming it. Might be my next step. On the right side of the demogorgon on mine I see a large chunk of the frame. Stern has said engineering doesn't think it would affect the shot but I cant understand that. Tonight I made the shot maybe 5 times which is much better than I had been but I am still seeing many shots not going that look like they were perfect. Tried playing with flipper power and cranking things up as high as they go seems to work the best now.
[quoted image]

Slo-mo record the demogorgon entrance as you hit it over and over with the glass off from the left flipper (which should be the easiest). Then examine the slo-mo shots to see how exactly the ball is physically being rejected at the entrance (and if you happen to get one in, how does that look?). iPhone is a fantastic pinball diagnostic tool for this because of the slo-mo recording feature.

Once you have some slo-mo to go on, it will become less about guessing and more about fixing the actual issue with yours.

#4457 3 years ago

Ha, turns out my phone does have slo-mo. I didn't think I had anything that would do that. Will give it a try and see what's what. Thanks

Most of them do these days. It's an excellent diagnostic tool. If you can't get it slow enough to see what's happening, send me a link to the video and I'll slow it down even more.

#4462 3 years ago

For those that have put the new ramp on is it digging into your playfield as well? It almost looks like it's cut through the new mylar. I'm getting an unsightly white line forming where it touches that is very noticeable after 2 days when the ramp is up. I tried cleaning it with novus but it only got marginally better.

Maybe adjust the ramp position sensor underneath so it doesn't drop the ramp quite as far down, so the ramp is still making contact, but it's not digging in as hard.

#4464 3 years ago

ok cool, Didn't realize there was a sensor down there for it. Will take a look

One switch tells it when it's up, one tells it when it's down. You should be able to make it stop sooner by bending the "down sensor" switch arm a little so it triggers sooner.

If you need more than that, maybe you can loosen the collar on the drive arm and advance/retard it for a bigger change.

Ramp_sensor.jpgRamp_sensor.jpg

#4472 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Right only. Left it at stock power of 255. You have to cut the diode off it though.
But to be honest fans make the biggest difference. Definitely get vireland ’s when they are ready.

Harnesses for the fan kits are done. Just waiting for the first production samples to test. Everything else is ready to go.

I'm doing temperature testing on Iron Maiden coils this weekend to see what kind of temps it throws out for long games, too.

#4476 3 years ago

Getting it on youtube was easy, getting it off the phone I'm still working on. Can stick it on dropbox once I figure that out.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I was able to get the video from youtube and slowed it down some more, although with the speed of the ball, it doesn't help much more.

You might be able to loosen the hex screw for the collar that has the bump on it that triggers the switch to advance it a little so it turns off before the ramp is pushed too far down.

#4480 3 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Just received the ST shooter rod. No directions! Anyone know where to plug in the LED lead? Fits in one spot on the board but doesn't illuminate

The code to illuminate it hasn't been released yet, so dark shooter rod and bitter tears for you.

#4490 3 years ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Where is attract mode in settings I can’t find it

Not in there yet, if you're talking about the setting for the ramp behavior in attract mode.

#4543 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

I have a problem with my ramp. gets stuck for a few seconds when the mode ends or when you beat the Demogorgon. if you hit the drop targets it goes back up. The ramp does this 10% of the time. Anyone experience this? Thanks in advance! [quoted image]

Check the two switches under the PF on the wheel that tell the machine when the ramp has completed its up or down. Sounds like a loose wire or flaky switch. Put it in switch test mode and see if both work, and then wiggle the wires to them and see if it makes the switch trigger.

#4561 3 years ago

Yeah, played 30 minutes or so of my new potc and came back to St and the first demo shot went in. Looks like on my machine the demo shot is very power dependant. I'll be looking into that fan upgrade when it's available

Wiring harnesses should be here late next week.

#4592 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Yes, all leds turn off and the monitor at the same time. machine is not turning on now. I flashed a new SD Card, waited 10 minutes, tried to leave a flashdrive in the computer to see if it recover... Nothing...

Do you have a multimeter? I'd check to make sure 48v is coming out of the power supply and not less, then if that's ok, check the output from the power distribution board.

#4600 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

It's a flash drive that had the code. it was removed. I just happened to take the picture when the machine was switched on. One thing though, I don't hear a fan moving at all. I need to get a multimeter...

The fan is thermally switched. If there's not enough load to get the power supply over 120 degrees, it won't turn on. And if it does turn on, it will turn off again when it drops to 104 degrees.

#4635 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How do you complete trap em? Seems to go on forever for me. I’ve only collected 4 super jackpots though.

I think you just play until you run it down to 1 ball. That's what Brian indicated. Basically, make the Demo shots collect jackpots, repeat until the mode ends when you only have 1 ball left.

1 week later
#4714 3 years ago

speaking of tweaking I'm wondering what people recommend for scratch removal on the ramps. I've had the ramps off probably more than 20 times now and there are a few scratches, mainly on the bottom of the right ramp near the sling from the screw on the outlane ball guide. I don't remember which time I forgot to put down towels when working on the machine and caused the scratches but they are there and deep enough to be visible and annoying. Pretty sure novus won't take it out but I am afraid to take sandpaper to it. Just wondering if there are any tips out there on fixing scratches on these really clear ramps. Most of the stuff I could find was about repairing badly broken ones with holes and stuff.

Flame polish makes them like new, but don't do it on the real deal until you practice on some old crappy/broken ramps because if you come in too hard you can ruin a ramp in a hurry.

#4716 3 years ago

I wish I had old ramps to try it out on I'm only a few years into the hobby. I've read about the flame polish. Maybe I'll check around locally and see if anyone has some experience.

It has the best results, but it also can go horribly wrong unless you know what you're doing. Maybe put out a pinside or craigslist wanted ad for some broken pinball ramps or something? No time like the present to learn...

#4727 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

I have this problem... Any of you fine gentleman know of any fix for this?
Ramp gets stuck about 15% of the time.

There are two switches underneath that tell the ramp when it's hit home and fully extended. It looks like the fully extended switch is working, but the home switch may be loose or broken and the switch arm not registering all the time. Check and adjust both switches under the playfield.
Ramp_sensor (resized).jpgRamp_sensor (resized).jpg

#4737 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Thank you so much Sir, I must of moved something when I was checking it out and now it's not getting stuck anymore after 10 games. Thank you!

Great! Now you know where to look if it happens again.

#4750 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

I spoke too soon...
I looked at all the connectors and cables and they seemed fine. After lifting the playfield and checking all connections I do the ramp test. Everything works. I have gone as far as testing the ramp 15 times up and down. But after about 6 to 7 games the ramp gets stuck in the middle again.
I see the switches you are talking about. They look good but not sure. Is it possible one is bad? Which one is the "home"? I cannot tell. TIA!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I don't know offhand. Put the game in switch test mode (make sure the coin door interlock switch is pulled out or they won't work) and depress each switch. That will tell you if they work, and also give you the name of which switch is which on the screen.

In your picture the one on the right has a pretty sharp bend in the middle post on the switch. These crappy newer Stern switches are pretty famous for breaking off right at the casing. If that switch at the right doesn't register, or only registers intermittently, I'd look more closely at that.

#4752 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Ok, I will look into that! What's crazy is that after messing under the playfield and moving stuff, this thing lets me play a few good games, then everything goes bad. on the testing the ramp mode. It used to show me "93" failed but it hasn't failed on test. I am calling Stern again tomorrow. Hope they know what it is. Thanks again!

You can probably figure this out just with switch test and wiggling things to narrow down the actual problem.

#4799 3 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

The Uv sure didn’t help the hate, that’s for sure. But this game has been hated on since it came out the gate. I think it’s gonna be like TWD people hated that game before it was finished now the same haters think it’s one of the best coded games out. Give it time to marinate this game will be a classic.

Let's not get too crazy.

Lyman made TWD great. This will not be TWD. Lonnie has a code ceiling for whatever reason. That said, it will be fine if you're not expecting a Lyman masterpiece.

#4859 3 years ago

Beta testers have been sent coil cooling fan kits. Should be very close to release.

#4861 3 years ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

This to help the flippers loss of power over long play?

Yes. The coils getting too hot over time is the root cause of flipper fade. This solves that problem completely.

#4867 3 years ago

What SHOULD happen is Stern should buy your kits and then ship them out to game owners for free.

On most machines the fade is subtle and players don't even realize it's the machine and not them that's the issue. So I'm sure that Stern is like, don't poke the bear, let sleeping dogs lie, admitting there's a problem is a problem, etc. I now doubt they even have collected temperature data in internal design testing while making these.

The TMNT backhand to the left ramp, for example. If I didn't have a gauge on it so I could see the coil temp when I started missing that ramp backhand consistently, I would just think my timing was off, when it's actually the coil is too hot and has weakened. But Stranger Things is especially bad and the fade is very noticible on longer games.

#4868 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I fully intend to get your mod when it's released. Now that I've said that, you'll know I mean no ill will with what I say next:
My friend who has been a pinball tech for decades was over my house recently. I was telling him how ridiculous it was that someone had to develop a mod to cool the coils so the game works properly. He laughed and just said why don't you just put on stronger coils, pointing out correctly that it must be a design problem that Stern should make right.
So...has this been discussed before? Would stronger coils knock out a node board or something?

No offense taken. I looked at all solutions before settling on the fans. I even installed the stronger coils on LotR back in the day so I could hit the stupid ring late in the game!

Stronger coils are not a fix to the problem and will break more stuff faster over time. They also may cause airballs. You're increasing the coil strength to account for the fade that will happen when it heats up so the coil strength is enough to make key shots even late in the game when the coil's overheated. But in the beginning of play, the power of the bigger coil is way too strong. This is how targets, plastics, and standups break faster. And since most people play shorter games, the game will have MOST of its time with a coil that's too strong bashing the playfield parts. This is not good.

The fans are the best solution because the correct coil the designer intended at the correct strength is performing the correct way in an optimum temperature range for the length of play, beginning to end. Tell him that.

I also believe, but have no proof yet, that the coils will last longer since you won't have the expanded coil thing happening over time from them being too hot. Watching the fans shave 35 degrees off the overheated coil temps on TMNT while I was still playing it once I turned them on was impressive. It was the first time I tried it that way, and they definitely work.

#4876 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Anyone having a ball get stuck under/behind the demo resulting in having to tilt the game to get it to release? I am trying to see where it's getting stuck without having to take the demo assembly apart. It gets "stuck" when I shoot the middle shot under the actual demo about 30% of the time now. Haven't had this issue since adding .96 and .97 on the machine. I don't think it's a code issue, but something just needing an adjustment after the amount of plays on the machine.

The gate wire probably partially fell off. Happened to me, too. It only hung up the ball part of the time, depending on the path it took as it went through. It's a known issue at Stern that was supposedly fixed for later runs.

Broken

Fixed

#4936 3 years ago

Just an update on the coil cooling kits. Unless something unexpected happens with reports from the remaining beta testers, I'll be ordering the production wiring harnesses and we should have full kits on sale in a couple weeks. I have an optional adapter that will let you install cooling on 3 and 4 flipper setups, too.

#4938 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Man this game is so so good when the machine is dialed in. Vireland’s fans are the final piece to the puzzle. Just had some really long games and I was making the demo and lock just as easy as when I started with the first few flips.
Can’t wait to see where the code ends up. This thing plays so great now. So glad we were able to figure out all the issues.

Thanks for help testing the fans and the install instructions. I just realized you have earlier brackets, too. I'll send you the final brackets along with the final wiring harness when I get the production units in a few weeks. I added a screen on the back so the fan blade isn't open. There's a guard on the front of the fan itself, but nothing on the back.

Here's the revised design (this is for the right side)...
new_fan_bracket_back_sml (resized).jpgnew_fan_bracket_back_sml (resized).jpg

#4973 3 years ago

Just my opinions...
I wouldn't do that deal. You've probably got over 6k in your pro, right? That's 11k for a game that'll be worth 8k as soon as you open it.
Sell yours for 5ish and add 3 to buy a used LE or a NIB Premium.

FOR SURE. NIB experience ain't worth $3k. Sell yours for $5400, add $2.7-3k, get a nice HUO LE and pocket $2k or more for your next pin.

I'd also take any mods on your Pro that would work on the LE off. They're not going to change the value of the Pro that much and will still be useful to you on the LE since you like them.

#4975 3 years ago

Got the mockup done for the foam block that holds the coil cooling fan kit in the box. Should be cutting foam this time next week. Wiring harnesses are being made now.

packaging_mockup_sml2 (resized).jpgpackaging_mockup_sml2 (resized).jpg
#5001 3 years ago

Any tips/how-tos on installing the LotR coil? Just got it in. I’m also going to get the vireland mod. But want to install the LotR as well

I wouldn't run the heavier LotR coil and the coil cooling kit together because you'll have full overpowered coil strength for the whole game without letup. It will likely break stuff faster. I'd do either/or.

#5007 3 years ago

Ahhhh. Well. When would one need to make the choice? I.e. when is cooling kit ready?

It's just a few weeks out. Wiring harnesses are being made, fan brackets are being printed night and day, packaging foam block is (I think) final today after some tweaks and should be cut soon. All the other parts are here.

This *should* be the final foam block design for the packaging. I had to make the parts at the bottom larger because the final wiring harnesses will have 22AWG instead of 24AWG so they're a little more hardy, but that makes them bulkier, too. I also added 12" so there's enough wire length for it to be cleanly tied to the playfield wire trunk for a factory-look install. Both of those changes meant the cutouts from last week would be too small. As long as I was re-doing the foam, I made a face. We'll see if it survives in actual foam...

(Don't pay attention to the different colored fan brackets and low-res of the gray fan bracket, these are just random ones I had on hand to check the fit of the receptacle before I sent it to the foam guy. The final fan brackets are red PETG.)
Foam_Block_2_400x400 (resized).jpgFoam_Block_2_400x400 (resized).jpg

And here's what the instructions look like:
Cooling-Kit Installation Instructions-900x634-sml. (resized).jpgCooling-Kit Installation Instructions-900x634-sml. (resized).jpg

#5035 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I see lots of people talk about headphone jacks so they can play while people sleep. Isn’t the machine itself too noisy with all the mechanical noise going on? I know I’d get shot if I played at 3am volume or no volume.

They sell kits that can quiet your coil clacking noise down.

#5041 3 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

Looks great! Do any other games need this? Munsters?
How do I get on the list for this?

Pretty sure they all need it to varying degrees, but I need to gather more data to say which need it most critically. Stranger Things and TMNT definitely benefit. Iron Maiden and Star Wars are up for testing soon. I have a new probe system that can collect temps from up to 4 coils at the same time so I can do any spike machine now, where with the Thomas Traceable gauge, I was limited to two coils at a time, with no real-time collection (I had to write the temps down at intervals). My plan is to eventually temp graph ALL Stern Spike2 machine coils, then Spooky, then JJP, then work my way back. Whatever the uncooled coil temps are, one thing that's clear from the beta tests is with the cooling system, the coils stay below the threshold of even the slightest bit of fade for as long as you want to play. Consistent first-flip performance through entire games, one after another. This process has sensitized me acutely to the very beginnings of fade that I can verify by glancing over to a gauge and made me a very picky flipper bitch that won't tolerate even the mildest forms of fade (that usually manifest as barely missed or bricked shots you usually make consistently, but suddenly start missing later in games) now. I can turn you in to one, too!

I'll probably put up orders once I have the foam pricing back. It's the last component I'm waiting for a price on, and when I have that I can set a price for the kit. That way I can get an order queue and get an idea of what I'm looking at. It's a little crazy, because I already have people PMing me to be put down for 2, 3, 5 kits each right off the bat because they want to do all their Spike2 machines. The bottleneck will be the brackets, but I've been printing them for a while to build up a stockpile that hopefully will survive the first rush.

I've been updating this thread and the TMNT one as the project moves toward release, so just keep an eye out here and there for the announcement.

#5074 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Jurassic park is a fantastic game and the only use of the button is to change the smart missile award.
Where’s the video modes in Deadpool, maiden, Jurassic park, or Munsters.
I highly doubt the games rep will get worse due to the center button not having tons of use. Mainly because this game from crucified from day one so it can’t get any worse from that standpoint. Haha.

Just make the center button make various face slap sounds and award minimal points every time "Bullshit" is uttered. Have a discipline champion for most slaps in response to a "bullshit" in the mode (not just spamming the button). It would be hard to juggle that task and keep the ball moving. Could be fun.

#5081 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

One time I put premium GOT code on my pro. Thought I completely broke the game. Thank god it’s no big deal.

I don't know why they don't have a pre-check for what machine you're trying to install a rom on. They can just check for node boards specific to Premiums/LE and tell you if you are trying the wrong one.

Oh wait...Lonnie does the low-level system stuff. Nevermind. Answered my own question.

#5106 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

What number is this post for the tk lock? I cannot find it.

Click on "Topic Index" at the top of the page. It's listed there and you can click straight to it.

#5124 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Does anyone know what we get for that?

A baby's arm holding an apple.

#5139 3 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

The latest on my weak right flipper issue.
The right flipper is getting stuck in the up position and stays that way unless the left flipper button is pressed.
Im assuming these 2 symptoms are connected?

And you have vertical play in the right flipper if you pull up on it?

Sounds like the flipper is too tight to the bushing or the coil stop is broken.

#5180 3 years ago

Wiring harnesses arrived today for the coil cooling kit. Still waiting on foam. Once I have that, these are good to go. I'll have 2, 3, and 4 flipper coil-cooling kits at launch. The only difference between the 2 coil kit and the 3/4 coil kits is more fans, more zip-ties, and a custom inline clip-in splitter for the power lead.

#5217 3 years ago

I keep getting balls stuck somewhere up under the demogorgon... they get under there and then even when it goes through the lost ball thing it never manages to shake the ball loose. Any tips for where to start in troubleshooting this?

Your one way gate came off. Stern made a running change to these. Early ones have a wire that's too short or not crimped enough and it comes off, blocking the ball travel sometimes. The wire flops around, so sometimes it seems worse than others.

Gate has come off...

Gate fixed.

1 week later
#5266 3 years ago

Coil cooling kit update - I have all the manufactured parts and illustrated instructions ready to go, but the foam insert that holds everything in place during shipping had to be sent back because it was cut wrong. So probably looking at another 7-10 days before the foam is fixed and I receive it to start shipping the Spike2 coil cooling kits. Sorry!
bad-foam-sample (resized).pngbad-foam-sample (resized).png

#5269 3 years ago

can we preorder anywhere?

No, sorry. The upside is the additional time has allowed me to continue building stock of the brackets, which are the printed part and the slow bit. Everything else is manufactured already.

Once all the cut foam is on the way and I know it's only a few days out before shipping, I'll put it in the store here and at pinmonk.com.

#5274 3 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

I’ve been following this and am wondering if this is needed on the pro model as I dont have the diverter on the left ramp?

Yes. It makes the flippers perform correctly the full length of playtime, as long as you want to play, instead of heating up (quickly on STh) and causing bricked, low power, or missed shots. I used a pro for development of the coil cooling kit. It was an obvious improvement I could feel, especially on long games.

#5276 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Improved my accuracy on the demo too. I would start games nailing it then would lose the shot later in the game. Not no mo.

Making a bullet point list of benefits now...

#5281 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

What is the pricepoint on these? I’m def interested.

Should be like $89 for a two flipper kit with all the hardware and connectors. There will be 3 and 4 flipper kits, but honestly, I don't know how necessary cooling would be on 3rd and 4th flippers, but I'll know more once I put some probes on them and test the real-time temps. Only done 2 flippers on TMNT so far.

#5286 3 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Where do the fans get power from? I have several mods and what to make sure I have a spot to plug them in.

Ticket dispenser connector. I was pretty sure no one (or almost no one) was using that and it supplies more than an amp of power, which is way more than even 4 of these fans pull (in a 4 flipper setup). I put a rectifier diode and a 1a fuse on the line though, just in case, to protect the node board. It's a clean install.

#5289 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Any idea if this ticket dispenser connector gets put on games destined for Europe by the way?

It's a standard header block on their coin door interface board, so I'm sure it's there. Just no one uses a ticket dispenser for home use.

This is the illustration from stern's spike2 manuals. CN11 is the connector in the upper left.

panell0 (resized).jpgpanell0 (resized).jpg
#5310 3 years ago

Revised foam sample for the flipper coil cooling kit packaging came in and it's good to go so I've ordered the production for them. We're about 7-10 days out on receiving all the cut foam and then I can ship. I'll probably put it in the pinmonk store and at pinmonk.com mid-late next week in anticipation of the foam's arrival.

Here's a shot of the box as it will be packed. The 8 zip ties aren't visible, and the instructions aren't there because they go on top and would obscure the box contents, but this is basically what it will look like when you get it. The finger cutouts are there for double-stacked 3 and 4 flipper kits so you can get to the layer below. 2 flipper kits are single layer but use the same foam.

Wire in the middle compartment is the interface cable with the connector for the ticket header plus the inline 1A fuse and rectifier diode. Bottom compartment is the 7.5' cable which leaves plenty to get from the board along the cabinet to the playfield wire trunk and up to the flippers.

This all started with Stranger Things, but it seems to help with any Spike 2 machine on extended playtimes (30-45 mins and up) where the coils get too warm and performance degrades, subtly at first, but then very obviously.

2020_09_03_Foam_Sample_600x600.jpg2020_09_03_Foam_Sample_600x600.jpg

1 week later
#5361 3 years ago

Okay, foam's finally cut and on the way, so I've gone ahead and put the coil cooling kits in the pinmonk store here on pinside.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-coil-cooling-kit

Cooling-Kit-1_600x (resized).jpgCooling-Kit-1_600x (resized).jpg

They'll be on pinmonk.com for international orders next week.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5363 3 years ago

Just placed my order!

Awesome, thanks for the support. This should help a lot of Stranger Things owners specifically with some pretty extreme flipper fade on longer games, but also helps TMNT and Iron Maiden and I'm sure other Spike2 I haven't tested yet.

#5370 3 years ago
Quoted from Wallofnoise:

Was Stranger Things a low home use seller? Just anecdotally I know it’s a popular pin on location. How do you all get pin sales numbers?

I don't think anyone has hard numbers, just anecdotal "selling better/worse than xxxx" by talking to distributors, etc.

#5385 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. Thanks for watching! Glad I was able to present the game to show how cool it is. The projector is still washed out a bit on the stream but the rest was represented pretty well imo.

Has anyone found a micro projector with more lumens that can replace the (undoubtedly dirt cheap) stock one Stern uses? Washed out projection seems like a solvable problem. I don't have access to a Prem/LE or I'd already be on this.

#5392 3 years ago
Quoted from FredZZZ:

Here is an easier solution :
https://www.xtremscreen.com/
Daylight 1.1 gen2
(Format A4 = 80$)
Best regards

I'm assuming that upgrade has been done for people wanting the best quality from the stock projector. I was talking about that PLUS more lumens to really plus-up the playfield displays.

#5398 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I feel the same.
If any of you guys hear about a more powerful projector, please let us know about it.

If no one else does it, now that the coil fade issue is solved, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Premium I can bring back in for a few months to work on for a while to find a better projection solution. I'm positive one is out there, it's just a matter of finding it.

#5411 3 years ago

Thanks for that, I was also thinking it was a bit too fast... so I'd definitely prefer the slower and on all the time version, which seems to match better the actual sign of the arcade in the series...

You can likely also stick a resistor on it to slow the rotation.

#5451 3 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on the flipper cooling kit. I'd write more but i'm on my phone because Spectrum's down AGAIN.

I'm still shipping out the backlog of orders for it but should be caught up by the weekend.

#5459 3 years ago

Got mine! Super fast. Thank you!!!

USPS is a crapshoot these days (the "we're awesome and reliable" commercials they started running crack me up because they don't match the reality), so glad to hear some of the longer-travel shipments are arriving in the normal shipping times.

#5462 3 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

Did I sign up for this? If I did sign up was it for one or two?

I didn't have a waiting list, just put them up to buy in the pinmonk store here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

and also pinmonk.com here:
https://pinmonk.com/collections/tmnt-stern/products/tibetan-breeze-2-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

At the current rate, the first batch will probably be sold out sometime between tomorrow and Monday, but I'm only constrained by a couple parts (I have plenty of harnesses, foam, fans, boxes, etc), and they're already on the way, so I should have more sets late next week. I plan on making these for a long time, so everyone that wants them will be able to get them.

The Spooky harness adapter is in the works next. I have it made, so it just needs to be tested and then flipper coil cooling kits for Spooky machines will be ready to go as well.

#5464 3 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

Ordered 1 for this and 1 for Munsters.

Got the order, thanks. Haven't installed one on Munsters yet. Let me know how it goes. I don't forsee any problems with any of the Spike 2 installations once I raised the fans up and angled them down so they're out of the way of whatever nonsense Stern decided to pack in, around, and under the flipper plates below.

#5483 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Who needs a stinking topper when you can buy a f-ing Demogorgon?
[quoted image]

That would not be safe in my house. I'd be cutting it up and modding it so the face opened and closed with the game. Probably light the mouth and make it growl, too. Who says toppers need to be on top? A synced full size demogorgon next to the machine would be very cool.

#5485 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Right? I thought about lights, but not making it move! That would be rad!

You could probably also trigger the events wirelessly with bluetooth and a couple mini raspberry pi setups.

#5493 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Expect the lockbar button to do nothing but start games and plunge balls.

Brian said they're looking at ideas for the lockdown button and he wants to integrate it. I still like slapping people for each bullshit uttered, but he said that probably won't fly with the licensor.

#5495 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s good. At LAX he didn’t seem to interested when I asked him. Haha

Last time I asked him about it was late Aug, so almost a month ago. He said he hoped they would be able to work out a few things for it, implying more than one mode/use.

#5503 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Well it would be nice if the new one isn’t exactly the same every time. So like BSD, but not exactly like it.

Lockdown bar button could be used for reloading. 6 shots max before reload, but you can reload any time. Could get very hectic.

#5507 3 years ago

you may have to use something else to press the lockdown bar button...

No, you have to take a hand off one of the flipper buttons (your choice) to reload then get right back to that button and keep shooting. No additional appendage required. I could see it getting very hectic, especially if the software forced you to reload with different hands so alternation and coordination and speed were all required at the higher levels.

#5523 3 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Got my fans installed. Quick, easy, and the best instructions I have ever seen. If you don’t have these, get them! Pin monk has really done us all a huge favor. Going to install my other pair on iron maiden now.

Awesome! Glad to see the install went smoothly. Now to put up some new high scores!

#5525 3 years ago

I track my audits closely as I've been sending them to Stern and the number of games with high scores has increased dramatically since the install of the fans. I am not the greatest pinball player in the world. My high score on the game is just under 1 billion and I've only made it to total isolation 2 twice but I think the difference is clear. For roughly the same number of total plays (~120) my audits pre-fans for high scores from sept 4th
48 50.0M-74.99M SCORES 10
49 75.0M-99.99M SCORES 10
50 100.0M-149.99M SCORES 17
51 150.0+M SCORES 12
And game times
77 6 - 8 MINUTE GAMES 11
78 8 - 10 MINUTE GAMES 1
79 10 - 15 MINUTE GAMES 5
80 15+ MINUTE GAMES 2
Now after the install.
48 50.0M-74.99M SCORES 18
49 75.0M-99.99M SCORES 10
50 100.0M-149.99M SCORES 18
51 150.0+M SCORES 36
77 6 - 8 MINUTE GAMES 16
78 8 - 10 MINUTE GAMES 10
79 10 - 15 MINUTE GAMES 14
80 15+ MINUTE GAMES 2
My demogorgon fix has also held up. It's a makeable shot but not easy and with the fans I can hold off to playing the demo modes till later in the game. Before the demogorgon fix the percentage was at less than 5% of games got the shot. Now it's DEMOGORGON OPTO 182 147% OF GAMES

Wow, this is great data on the improvement in STh play when the flippers are consistent throughout the game. Thanks for posting it!

#5570 3 years ago

I'm a bit lost... I thought the plain sign in the show WAS the reference point and therefore the relatable design... apart from promotional items that have 'PALACE' above 'ARCADE', where does the 'PALACE' part come from? I'm clearly missing something...

It's on the building.

#5572 3 years ago

Thanks, I missed that when watching the show... So 'promotional items people' decided to combine the two signs to make something that wasn't in the series as a sales technique... I'm in the category of not being impressed with that myself, preferring something that reflects more accurately what was depicted... I guess I'm in a minority in that one if the marketing people got it right

As I recall, it's only seen in a handful of establishing arcade exterior shots total in the whole season, and usually as a "blink and you'll miss it" thing. So the confusion is understandable. I think the plain Arcade sign without it looks better, too.

#5611 3 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

I was playing an LE a few weekends ago and I swear that when I hit the demogorgon the shaker would shake. When I hit the demo on my machine, I don't feel anything. Was I imagining things? The shaker seems to work in other parts of the game, I'm running the latest code. Any thoughts?

Well the actual demogorgon shakes on the Prem/LE but not on the Pro, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

#5633 3 years ago
Quoted from pudluther:

I want new code.

Be Sure to Drink Your Ovaltine

There.

#5649 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

They post once a month about code, this is MUCH better then the past. I went through the Kiss and Ghostbusters code debacle, I can deal with this. New code every couple weeks seems pretty damn good.

KISS and Ghostbusters was NOTHING. 18 months of a box of lights for Batman '66 was the WORST code debacle of recent Sterns.

#5651 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah KISS and GB were complete and just got reworks way down the road.

Game of Thrones got a pretty extensive rework like what 2.5-3 years after it came out? Finally fixed at least one major exploit.

#5667 3 years ago

THIS (hilarious because it isn't me) clip demonstrates exactly why I made the flipper coil cooling kits, and why Stranger Things, specifically was the Rosetta Stone into the problem:

https://clips.twitch.tv/EndearingConsiderateGoblinShazBotstix

Stern mid-game flipper fade is a real thing for Stern Spike 2. Some are worse than others, but Stranger Things has the hottest coils of all the machines I've tested so far, but even without the temp gauge, you can FEEL the fade 15-20 minutes into playing.

#5677 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. I sent Joel a message after seeing this and was like, dude you need flipper fans. Haha

He was nice enough to clip it out for me. Made me laugh. I felt his pain.

#5727 3 years ago

The ramp to the Demogorgan coming down at the speed in the video looks cool... any way to slow the ramp down in reality so it lowers slower? The slower ramp kind of ties in with the scale of things... I can imagine if that were to scale with the Demogorgan it would come down at about the speed in the video, if anyone knows what I mean...

Hadn't thought of slowing the ramp, but a resistor on the motor lead would slow the motor RPMs if you want to slow the ramp reveal.

#5731 3 years ago

Well, I guess it depends a bit on what makes the ramp decide to move... if it's based on time, and someone slows the opening down, it could never actually get down! But if it's based on it hitting a closed limit switch, it could work... that and playing with the open/close rate... it would make it more like the drawbridge on MM, or the dropping target bank on AFM... now if the designer of those games had anything to do with this game I bet he'd have wanted it slow!

I might play with that a bit... my electronic skills can just about stretch to soldering a resistor in place... might make it a pot. so I can adjust it... thanks for the tip!!

It would be nice if Brian would just save everyone the trouble and add a ramp speed option to the settings. It could even have sub-settings for successive demogorgons, so the first one is very slow and cinematic, but the ones after are more like it is now.

He's a nice guy who cares about your pinball experience, so maybe he'll acquiesce if you ask real nice and save you potentially disasterous soldering accidents.

I'll mention it to him...

#5732 3 years ago

I might play with that a bit... my electronic skills can just about stretch to soldering a resistor in place... might make it a pot. so I can adjust it... thanks for the tip!!

Talked to Brian about it quickly and the limiting factor may be the torque needed to get the motor to start, so there is a lower limit to how low the power can be before the motor just won't start, so your idea of a pot might be the best idea since you can adjust easily. He also said they'd look into putting some settings after 1.0 is out if it's feasable.

#5739 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Thanks chuckwurt, I do not have them. I just picked the game up recently (NIB LE). Just installed the UV kit which is awesome. Who sells the fans?

They're in the pinmonk store:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

(thanks for the recommendation, Chuck)

#5744 3 years ago

Quick question. I add the cooling fans (awesome btw) and moved my britebuttons mod to the CN2 space because the fans use CN11. But I don’t get any power to the buttons. When I switch back, they light up. So it seems I need to turn the CN2 power on in settings?

CN2 is 5V, CN11 is 12V. Also, the pinouts are not the same. So CN2 is a dead-end if you need 12V.

CN3 and CN4 are 12V (different pin arrangement).

CN9 is for the dollar bill acceptor and is also 12V.

12V_alternatives_Spike2 (resized).jpg12V_alternatives_Spike2 (resized).jpg
#5749 3 years ago

Need new pin connector. Any idea what one I should order?

I'll PM you. It's really not clear cut and mostly subjective.

#5751 3 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I’m incredibly close to pulling the trigger on a Premium - in large part thanks to the great stream chuckwurt uploaded to YT with the camera in the players position - but I’m hesitating because I 100% need the UV kit and can’t find it in stock anywhere, and I’ve also heard they’ve been on back order for a while now.
I’m in London but would pay to ship from Europe or the States if I could find one - does anyone know of anywhere with stock?

Premium/LE UV kit is part number 502-7118-Q2

https://www.gameroom-goodies.com/stranger-things-pinball-uv-lighting-kit-upgrade/

ebay.com link: Stranger things pinball UV Kit for PREMIUM Edition 502 7118 Q2

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-7118-Q2

https://cointaker.com/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit

#5753 3 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Ah man thanks so much for the instant reply! Cointaker has the best international shipping rates so looks like I know what I have to do. Should probably also order one of your flipper cooling kits based on the reviews in this thread. Thanks again!

Haha. You will not regret it, especially for a game like Stranger Things that runs hot, but it's not necessary as thanks for a few links.

#5758 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Question about the show. I have watched a little more than the first 5 episodes so far. Why does the Police Chief Hopper have a brown uniform and the officers blue uniforms ? Is that ever addressed in the show ?

Blue makes him look fat(ter). He refuses to wear it or stop smoking.

#5760 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Don't the CN3 and CN4 connections just pulse the +12v power? They are intended for coin counter meters so I suspected they just gave a pulse of +12v power when a coin was inserted instead of providing the +12v at all times.
There is also +12v on the CN1 and CN8 on the cabinet node board if they are not being used.

I assumed the 12v was always there on CN3 and 4, but I'd have to put a meter on it.

CN1 I didn't recommend because I have no idea what the Universal Card link is and didn't want to suggest something that might mess something else up.

CN8 is definitely another good possibility if you aren't using electronic coin mechs.

#5787 3 years ago
Quoted from awesome1:

Is the flipper fade more apparent on Stranger Things as I've never noticed it on my Deadpool Pro which I sometimes play consecutive games for a couple hours straight and some single games for 30-45 minutes...

It's MUCH worse/obvious on Stranger Things (and to a lesser extent TMNT) than Deadpool. I don't have deadpool anymore and it was gone before I started taking temps, but I would be surprised if it gets to even 140 degrees - something like Star Wars, which also doesn't have a coil overheating/fade issue. I WILL temp check it once I get access to a machine again, though. My goal is to do it for all the Spike 2 machines.

#5795 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Last time I talked to Eddy about the map images it sounds like they will be similar to soul shards in Maiden.
Code those
Eleven mystery award (I bet that’s video mode)
Balance the end of ball bonus
Then maybe tweak some of the chapter mode scoring on some of them to make them more interesting.
If we can get all that, it will wrap up as a fantastic game everyone simply wrote off too soon imo.

And bullshit! slap mode. It has to be there.

#5800 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I have not noticed any issues with fade at all, even after 3-4 hours play

For deadpool I agree. I need to temp test it, but it doesn't seem to have fade of any serious kind. For Stranger Things the place where it's most obvious to me is backhanding the left ramp. You simply can't do it 80-90% of the time if it's a long-ish games. The coils are well over 150 degrees by that point and mushy. With the fans or from a cold start, you can backhand the left ramp easily.

#5801 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Seems like this code has messed with the switches in the game. Anyone else seeing this? The center shot behind the drops, right orbit, all the standups, are only registering like once out of 5 times hit.

Sounds like you've been Ropp'd.

#5816 3 years ago
Quoted from FlawlessJS:

D and O on the demo dog stand ups not working either...

Sounds like lots of Roppgret to go around...

#5823 3 years ago

Make sure you got the 98 link. I accidentally posted 0.99 for a minute first.

#5833 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Found it. Searched this thread for vireland and found his link. The market is so hard to search :-/

Pinmonk.com is much easier to browse, but here on the pinside store or there both work.

Thanks for the support!

#5868 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s lore of a designer by designer choice I think. But I think Eddy has done the flipper button attract before.

Attack from Mars attract mode button calls of the martian growling plus CGC topper of the martian shaking makes for some GREAT scared little kids every time. I saved a bunch of them, but here's one (sorry the video quality's bad, I had to turn it into a GIF to post it). You can tell exactly when the kid presses the flipper button...

2019-05-13_17-55-10_Oleerys AfM scares kid.gif2019-05-13_17-55-10_Oleerys AfM scares kid.gif

#5870 3 years ago

It will fit on CN 15 on the board by the left flipper, so my guess is to put it there...[quoted image]

CN15 is apparently the connection point according to other posts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-illuminated-shooter-rod-doesnt-light

#5875 3 years ago
Quoted from Fieldsweeper:

Haha that's fing great lol. Videos of kids getting scared are so much better Bec so many adult ones seem fake as heck. That there you KNOW he prob peed a little hahaha

I have a bunch of ones like this and better I saved. They're better with sound, but I can only post GIFs on pinside because I'm not setting up a youtube account to post video.

My favorite ones are where the kids get scared, then run off and tell someone (usually other kids) and come back, to demonstrate it for the others, but it won't work (because it's too soon since they did it before) and they get told to stop making things up.

#5879 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!

Don't love it too much. Under 18'll get ya 20.

#5902 3 years ago
Quoted from Flaverflav:

Hi Guys,
I wonder if demogargan shakes when you add a shaker on a pro ?

It does not, at least not in the way the Prem/LE does.

#5912 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Considering selling my JP pro for a ST premium ... Those who own both, would you do it? My biggest hesitation is the lack of humor and overall darkness of the theme. Is it a "scary" game to play? Is there any humor? I am kind of wuss.

I'd make that change. JP is kind of soulless and I hate the callouts. As long as you're ready to work on the TK lock to dial it in when you get it so it works right and know going in that you will likely have to, goodbye JP Pro, hello STh Prem!

#5915 3 years ago

Or switch to virtual locks and save months of tweaking and still be able to back-hand it

You can't even backhand at all it once you hit 155F. Backhanding becomes unreliable at about 145F and impossible around 155F. But the fix for the TK lock is documented well enough now that it's worth the time to tweak until it's working 100%.

#5924 3 years ago

That's where your Tibetan Breezes come to the rescue! Even with cool coils, and a butter-smooth TK lock divertor, I think back-handing is not an option... only virtual locks will permit back handed shots I believe (when the coils are cool of course).

Maybe not. I only had the pro so I didn't have the lock to test.

#5925 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

are the magnet lock and center monster shot things that can now be 100% solved with enough tweaking? Or are there games where these things just can't be fixed? I don't mind tinkering with something if I know the result will be good.

I would say yes. Some machines need more tweaking than others, but those issues seem to be able to be solved on all of them now with some work.

#5962 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Do we foresee another update coming soon
Or do you all feel that Stern is done and feel it’s solid as it sits ?
Was this last update a final polish ?

There's more coming. Still hoping against hope for bullshit slap mode. And some fun attract mode calls to scare the kiddies on location when they press buttons.

#5968 3 years ago

Ok, you got me... what's 'Bullshit mode'?

It's where they keep showing clips from all the seasons where the characters say "Bullshit!"

I keep saying they need to have level 2 of that mode integrate the lockdown bar button to slap them when they say it. It would be very hectic play especially if you make the impact and reaction sounds of the slap wackier and wackier.

#6054 3 years ago

weird after restarting. disabling firewall and antivirus. still fails. on all three browsers. even reset my DNS

And you're downloading to the hard drive, not directly to the USB?

#6056 3 years ago

Yes but that would not really matter.
I build my own computers and it would be rare for that to cause an issue anyway. I cleared my DNS cache, disabled firewall and antivirus. tried several browsers. even changed my IP address lmao (external one). I will try to download it on my phone and then just transfer it.

If the USB can't keep up it will definitely bork a download.

What DNS are you using? What's your isp? A lot of ISPs are hijacking DNS now to scrape browsing data, so the DNS you think you're using isn't what it actually being used.

#6058 3 years ago

I was never doing it to the USB I am just saying that unless you are using a usb 1.0 one thats a 128mb one maybe. I just downloaded it on my phone and transferred it. but what do you mean ISP are hijacking DNS? lol I have spectrum

It's becoming very common and is really annoying. Spectrum does do it.

You can read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking

#6118 3 years ago

Yes, that's what I was referring to... and chuckwurt already answered
I guess the UV mod doesn't get power from there then...?

The UV mod gets power from boards under the playfield if I remember right...

#6142 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I am confused why this game has a lockdown button. Iron Maiden doesn’t.....So why not just eliminate it if you are not going to use it. That and the pointless VUK makes this game feel like a poorly conceived hot mess. I still have fun playing it, BUT it could have been A LOT better.

Your Iron Maiden doesn't?

lockdown_bar_light (resized).jpglockdown_bar_light (resized).jpg
#6155 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The way I see it you need:
Projector - $300 at least and that’s if stern will sell it to you. I’m sure you can figure out the one they used.

I think when I was browsing Alibaba a similar pico projector was like $70? It was definitely less than $100.

But no, not recommended. Adding a projector to a pro is more hassle than it's worth. Just get a Premium if you want that.

#6160 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I thought someone looked up the exact one stern used and it was around $300. I could be wrong. That was a while ago.
Agreed. Too much hassle imo.

If they were looking on this side of the ocean, I could see that markup. But Stern definitely bought it from an OEM, not retail, and similar/same ones are definitely less than $100 ($70 sticks in my mind, but I don't remember for sure) direct from China, qty 1.

#6162 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

No, mine doesn’t. Is it supposed to???

I'm just messing with you. I added one because people on location got used to it for launching the ball and entering initials on the other Sterns and JJP and they were lost on Maiden. The code supports those functions if you add one. It just doesn't do much else.

#6185 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s not coded. Neither is the soul chard-like map image collect mystery award.
Eleven mystery award is the one I think is the video mode.
Eddy has confirmed with me in the past they want to balance the end of ball bonus awards as well as do the map image collecting.
He has never told me for sure they plan to put in a video mode, but I’ll be surprised if they don’t.

I really think the suggestion to do a BSD-like wolf shooting mode with demodogs would be fun. You could make level 1 just left and right flipper buttons with the lockdown button for reload. Then level 2 could be auto reload and use all three buttons for 5 possible shots (left flipper, left flipper+lockdown, lockdown, lockdown+right flipper, right flipper) for a pretty challenging mode.

#6195 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just read the stern of the union address. Look like next update is next month!

This part stuck out in the Nov SotU address, "Only 1964 units were produced in recognition of the year in which the world forever changed when Ed Sullivan introduced America to four young mop-topped musicians from Liverpool, England."

Did they actually make 1964 Beatles? That was the intended number but I didn't hear that any more were made after they shot their platinum 1-for-every-10 pack wad on the first 1000 machines. Seems like with as dead as the market was on that first 1000, it wouldn't be possible to stuff almost double that into that corpse without really tanking already-falling values.

#6201 3 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Does anyone else have problems with downloading the update from the stern site? I do not seem to be able to download the file, it starts of with 2MB /s but drops down really fast until it times out after a few minutes. Sometimes I get 1GB of data transferred, sometimes 20MB.
I tried with different machines on different locations en on different times. I'm trying for over a week now.

Are you being trottled for some reason? Maybe try a VPN from a "USA" address and see if that works.

1 week later
#6292 3 years ago

Yeah it's really odd. Stern sent me a new ramp a while back but I'm still waiting on the ramp graphic to put it on. Will be sending the pic to stern for advice

I'd stick a strip of mylar on the underside graphic where the guide is grinding through the sticker. That should stop the problem.

#6314 3 years ago

[quoted image]
Bummer ...

It will happen to them all eventially. They should not have used a pressure fit nylon post there. Should have been secured with a roll pin.

Did Stern make a running change to fix these on newer machines made after this was discovered, or are they still all-in on pressure fit to save a few pennies?

#6349 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Have a mint Afm original and tricked out Stranger things pro. Love both. In only a 10 pin collection now.

Though the shot map LOOKS similar, they play much, much differently so it's really not an overlap situation to have both.

#6356 3 years ago

Brian has certainly been pushing to add humor to this game.

Which is why Bullshit! mode really needs to have slapping mode added as a level 2 of the mode next time you get it so you can slap with the lockdown button every time it's said.

#6369 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Houdini does it too.

Houdini is literally the ONLY one that does it that I like, because it's in straightjacket escape so crossing your arms makes sense in the context of the mode. GREAT theme integration.

Everywhere else? I hate reverse flippers.

#6376 3 years ago

I want it! Never seen inverted either... Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but the only snag with doing this on a Spike 2 game, from what I can gather, is that they're not designed to have the flippers held up for very long, or they burn... so I doubt they'd code that in...

Spike2 games perform fine with the flipper trapped up for long periods of time. It makes almost no temperature change difference at all. The pulse that raises the flipper is what causes the heat over time. SAM and Whitestar systems that came before, not so much.

#6398 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike7599:

Hey guys, is there a setting to turn down the overall brightness of all the leds? During start up of my premium the projector kicks on first without any lights and looks so great! Then the lights kick on and it really washes out the picture on the projector. Was wondering if I could dial it all down a little? I went into rgb test mode and lowered the settings but it doesn’t save it. Thanks!

Yeah, it's near the end of the standard adjustments on the game system menu, I think. There's settings for flasher and LED brightness. I usually turn them down to about 70%.

#6400 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike7599:

Thanks so much! And I’m loving your fans btw! Keeping the coils nice and cool!

Great to hear! Thanks for your support. Stranger Things is the one so far that I have no hesitation recommending them for if you play the game for any length of time because the fade comes pretty quickly and is pretty severe.

#6422 3 years ago

Anyone know what screw I need to replace the broken one? Looks like they generally come on the base kit https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/515-6617-00

10-32 1/2" (maybe 3/8"?). Get a cap head hex screw instead of the crap Stern uses.

Something like this, but shorter:
https://www.pinballlife.com/10-32-x-34-black-socket-head-bolt.html

#6425 3 years ago

Thanks, I might have a few of those in my parts box somewhere.

You want a lock washer on each one, too.

#6456 3 years ago

What are these 'drawings' and what is the relevance of them to gameplay, if any?

symbols_drawing (resized).jpgsymbols_drawing (resized).jpg
#6526 3 years ago

Just noticed the hologram toppers for sale in the ads under these topics... not seen them before... they look like they could be pretty cool... anyone any experience with them?

Get one from Aliexpress for $60 and load your own video on them (there are dozens of ads for cheap ones).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001286387339.html

Basically with the one in the pinside ad you saw, you're paying a LOT extra for the support, and from what I've seen with complaints on the forums, the support ranges from bad to none.

This post from the product thread pretty much sums up the majority of the pinside experience I've seen with it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this/page/12#post-5591153

But there are some pinsiders with tips in there for rolling your own, so the last 10-15 pages are worth a read.

#6528 3 years ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

I can vouch for this. Ordered a TZ lighted panel. Only received part of what I paid for. Took forever to get a response. Finally received the remainder and when I went to hook it up it was wired wrong. Tried and tried to get support with zero response. Terrible seller.

Always a bummer to see poor/no support products, especially when there are ads still in the store selling it.

#6543 3 years ago

When I tried to safely remove the USB stick, I did get the below message, but all programs were closed, so I removed it anyway... maybe the USB stick has a problem...
My and anything software related don't see eye to eye!!
[quoted image]

Reformat the USB with FAT-32 and try again. You may have damaged the file system by pulling it out when it was in use. Worst case scenario if you can't get it to release the USB, just close down windows and when the machine is off, the usb is closed.

Also, do not use the built in windows zip functionality. It can make bad files when unzipping Stern updates. Use WinRAR or something like that to unzip the files.

#6545 3 years ago

Oooooo kayyyyy... thanks for the tip! Will Google how to do that

It's super-easy. Just right click on the usb drive letter, select format (make SURE you've selected the correct drive so you don't erase your OS or some other important drive), then on the options menu that comes up, select Fat32.

#6554 3 years ago

Tried that, but it's still not working... had a look on the net for clues... saw this where it talks about moving a dip switch... I realise this could be applicable for earlier board sets than Spike II, but there is a bank of dip switches on this game also... the Stern readme text doesn't mention it for Stranger Things... but they could have 'forgot'... do I need to switch swith 8?
[quoted image][quoted image]

No, that procedure was for older machines systems like SAM. Spike2 you just put the usb in and turn it on.

Have you updated a Spike2 machine with that particular USB stick before? If not, you may just have a brand Stern USB doesn't like. It is pretty picky. Try a different brand USB stick.

#6584 3 years ago

Solved it in the end... all it took is for me to use my antique PC running Windows 7 instead of my relatively new PC running Windows 10... with the new PC there seemed to be a problem taking the USB stick out, I got a message saying I can't remove it because programs are open, even though they weren't... even following vireland's advice of turning the PC off and then removing the USB stick didn't work... using the SAME USB that failed in my new PC in the old PC worked... also, only clicked on the zipped folder, didn't need to 'extract'... by the way... it just took about 2hrs to download the code to the old PC. Sorry for my multiple posts on this and thanks for all the advice!

Glad you got it working at last!

#6586 3 years ago

I think most people are glad who read this topic so they no longer have to trudge through my posts

I think your main problem was extracting the files straight to the USB stick. It takes a LOT longer and isn't reliable. So even on Windows 10 you needed to extract to a folder on your drive C hard disk (or any hard disk that isn't the USB) and THEN transfer THOSE files to the USB. It also explains why the system wasn't letting go of the USB - it was still "in use" by the system extractor. So next time, even on Windows 10 you can probably make a go of it if you extract files to the hard drive first and then copy THOSE.

Also, Avengers updates haven't been zipped at all. I hope that's the way all the Stern releases go from now on. Skip the unzip step that confuses more than just you and just copy one file to the USB with no unzipping...

#6588 3 years ago

I copied the files to my desktop before moving them to the USB stick... isn't that essentially the same as what you're saying should work, or do you mean I should make a folder 'somewhere' on my hard-drive and copy the files to there?

Dunno. In the picture you posted with the 22 minute busybar, it's copying the zipped files from the zip directly to your USB drive.

#6614 3 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I have not been on my Stranger Things for a while. Just came here to endorse pin monks coil fans. What a silly stupid simple solution to the single most frustrating thing with this game.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation! I'm tempted to go back and do a 2 hour Stranger Things session to see how hot the coils can really get. I have a temp gauge that can measure over 157F now. I thought Stranger Things was the heat champ, but someone sent me a video of an uncooled Rick and Morty where the right coil got over 180F and the upper right coil just stopped working for a bit after it exceeded 160F. They were playing for around 2 hours. When they get the Spooky Tibetan Breeze kit, that kind of nonsense will be a thing of the past for them, too. Pretty much impossible to break even 110F with the kit installed, no matter how long you play.

Thanks again!

#6623 3 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

Have you temped other coils besides the flippers? Like the saucer or the TK arm? The saucer seems to fade, going from zipping the ball around the burn it back to barely making it register. Also I'm wondering if the TK arm gets weak after long sessions.

I haven't, but I think it's unlikely to be fade at the level the flippers see because all the other coils are smaller, are worked less, and have more breaks to cool down a bit than the flippers.

#6629 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Is anyone able to drop the 1.0 Pro code on Dropbox or google docs? No shit, I've tried 47 times and can't get past 2 gigs before it crashes.

Might want to give a download manager a try. It can recover from errors and partial downloads.

For example:
https://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/

#6639 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Dear Lord, that was painful. I had to download folx on Mac to resume partial downloads. After about 15 separate crashes, I was able to finish. Thanks for the tip.
Oh, also, I'm joining the club this week.

I don't know why some people have such trouble keeping connections live and others don't, but a download manager is a must if you keep losing connections because they will almost always finish automatically by re-trying and continuing from where they left off. Glad it worked out for you in the end!

#6656 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Thanks so much for the reply and the video. Hopefully mine will have the correct and updated ramp. I will check back if I have some issues.
So why do the coils get so hot requiring cooling fans? And how long does it take for them to heat up? Do you have a link to the fans? Thanks again!

Stranger Things gets hot coils faster than anything else I've tested so far. Within about 30-40 minutes of continuous play you're in the coil fade zone.

There's an explanation of the whys of coil fade on the product page for the flipper coil cooling kit and a link to an interactive experiment that helps make it clear what happens as heat increases electrical resistance.

#6666 3 years ago

What did you do to help decrease the heat? Where can you order Verilands cooling fans if that is the only way to fix the coil over heating? Thank you.

Store listing for the kit is here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-flipper-coil-cooling-kit-spike2

There's information on the page at the bottom with a Q&A on coil overheating. Basically the kit is two small fans with the wiring and mounting hardware so they can keep air moving across the flipper coils to prevent them from getting hotter than 110F. Most machines they stay around 100F, no matter how long you play.

#6667 3 years ago
Quoted from Break8ers:

Pin Monk---just ordered the cooling fans!

Thanks!

#6669 3 years ago

Thank you so much!! Is the over heating mainly with stranger things?

There's a chart on that product page with the machines I've tested so far. Anything in the 140s is bad. The worst so far is Stranger Things (quickest to 157F), Avengers (long play), and Rick and Morty (Spooky). Star Wars is the only one so far that doesn't seem to have a fade problem.

#6672 3 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I'd buy a kit for my TNA on the double if you get a kit for Spooky. Coils get red hot and "hugs" the plunger so hard the flippers move in slow motion. You can still theoretically make all the shots but the timing is way off.

Good news! Spooky coil cooling kits are done and in the pinmonk store here and on pinmonk.com.

#6682 3 years ago
Quoted from dri:

You need to associate the kit with TNA on pinmonk.com
Ordered!

Thanks for the heads-up. Somehow I missed associating that Spooky game with the new kit. It's fixed now!

#6698 3 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

I tend to pop in and out of this thread for weeks at a time. What is cleland’s code?

Stock rom modified with different music, etc. Maybe different callouts? Not sure on that part.

#6711 3 years ago

Bummed a touch
Hit the Demo and ball got lost ...
Did some digging
My 1 way gate broke today
535-2319-00
I cannot locate a replacement
Any one know a source
[quoted image]

You should have enough wire left to be able to re-bend the one you have to still work I know I was able to when this happened to me.

#6813 3 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

When you shoot really hard into the center lane. The ball goes soooo... fast it only triggers the opto very short. My game sometimes doesn't even recognise it. But I think this is because of the nodeboard not being fast enough to notice. A fix would be to get the game dirtier and the flippers get weaker :DDD

Or cover the bottom half of the sending opto circular housing with black electrical tape to improve beam concentration and beam sensitivity. Then continue to keep your machine clean.

2 weeks later
#7004 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If all you need are the fans then your lock will be flawless for the first 30 mins or so, then it will start falling short.

Agree with this. On a cold machine (first game of the new day), you should have normal performance of the flippers for the first 40 minutes or so. In the testing I did for the fan kits, Stranger Things heated up the fastest and crossed the threshold to obviously faded after about 40 minutes of straight play. If you can make the shot on a cold machine, but CAN'T make the same shot after 40 minutes of play, it's likely fade.

Also, check your flippers to make sure they aren't binding on the bushing. If you pull up on them, there should be about 1/8" of vertical play. If there's not, you need to loosen the linkage and add about a credit card's thickness of vertical play, then tighten again.

And also check your coil stops. Stern has a real problem with these breaking quickly. The center stop comes loose from the plate it's mounted to. Brass shavings in the bottom of the cabinet under the flippers are a common symptom.

#7037 3 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

Okay, I came back to this today when the machine was totally cold. I also ordered a very accurate small stainless ruler which arrived today, so I'm ready .
In testing on the cold machine today, it did lock the ball twice but the other 90% of the time the ball didn't make it onto the wall. The only good thing is that it seems to fail consistently in the same way at this point. Each time, the ball seems to sloppily go over the diverter and continue along the ramp, and then is stopped by the (still a mystery) white rod. It almost seems like it gets a little hung up at the base of the diverter, but it always makes it past it, so I'm not sure what to make of that.
Would that mean it's too far from the wall and needs to be a mm or two closer?

I'd set up a phone camera in slo-mo video mode so you can analyze what's happening in slo mo where it's easier to nail down the problems.

#7039 3 years ago

Yesterday I thought about using one of my Arlo cameras to film it, but the phone with slo-mo is even better. Thanks vireland!

Literally one of the best diagnostic tools - and it's in most phones now!

#7073 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I would just take the playfield out if I installed art blades.

Using the wet method, it's really not that hard, and very forgiving. I've never taken a playfield out to install them and I've done dozens. The only one that sucked to install was the Houdini one because it was basically paper and not the thick vinyl like Stern uses.

#7076 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good to know. Never done them myself, but seems like an accident waiting to happen with the playfield still in the game.

If it's dry, yeah, an accident waiting to happen. From personal experience, I do NOT recommend that approach.

But using the wet method it's super-forgiving and you can slide it around until you get it exactly right and squeegee out the liquid.

#7082 3 years ago

Man I had no idea it would be so difficult to put in some art blades on the side. Guess I should have done some research first. Removing the playfield sounds very daunting!

It's not hard with the wet method. Here's someone doing a wet method install. Easy because it's very forgiving.

#7092 3 years ago

After watching the video, it doesn't look too bad at all. What type of soapy water do you use for the wet method? A little liquid dish soap?

Yeah. I use a few drops of dawn in a spray bottle, then shake it up to mix it. You want it to be a bit sudsy so it's slick and not just damp.

#7099 3 years ago

Honestly, with this issue being so wide spread and visible, it seems to me that a TSB would be in order from Stern. Perhaps a small redesign of some sort to widen the tolerance but still allowing the TK lock to work correctly? With mechanical parts like this, it should be more tolerant of variances and still be able to work, imho.

Yeah, it's a bad design. I would have thought even a pop-up jump ramp angled slightly toward the backboard would have been much simpler and more reliable, but who knows? What it has is all it's gonna have, unfortunately. It IS fixable as Chuck and some of the others have demonstrated. It's just not easy.

#7118 3 years ago
Quoted from board1315gamer:

Also....time to brag lol
What a game I just had! First time getting to Final Showdown on newest code. The Snow Ball mode is a lot of fun as well. You can spend a long time just in this mode racking in even more points.
Couldn't have done it without the support of this thread and vireland 's Tibetan Breeze Cooling kit. Much thanks.
Wonderful machine, very underrated!
[quoted image]

WOW! That's some score. How long was the game?

#7149 3 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

No.. its pretty random.. like the game thinks I've lost a ball. Actually says "ball saved" and kicks another out. Then we end up with 2 balls and registers both. Its odd for sure.

Check your ball trough opto board connectors. Bend the pins out a little so it grabs the connector better. Sounds like one of them is an intermittent connection with vibration, briefly registering a ball in the trough that isn't there when the power is lost in a blip.

#7236 3 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Hey guys.. Ive been under the hood a bit more than expected on the new pin (premium). Getting the no input signal for the projector. Played with the hdmi and connections. Started working again, but seems to load up slow. Is yours slow to fire up? It failed again this morning. I have an email to stern. I will say the TK lock has been working great for us. One last thing.. I had a constant dim glow from the monster hunting playfield light. I think I read it may be a short? Thanks! Btw - we are loving this pin..

Constant dim glow is probably a bad board and Stern warranty claim.

Try getting a new, quality Class 10 SD card and putting a brand new game image on it, then replace the crappy SD card Stern ships their pins with. This behavior can be a failing/bad SD card.

Instructions on how to do it here, as well as game images to put on it:
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

#7324 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I installed some purple flipper lights for the wide and then went on to install the Tibetan Flipper Fans. Turns out they both want the same CN11 ticket connector.
Is there somewhere else I can easily get power for these lighted buttons.
Fans are staying , buttons will go if they have to.
Thanks

Others have had this issue. If you can solder, I can sell you a naked harness with a 2 pin molex on the end and a splitter made for the connectors. Basically you cut off the connector on the flipper button lights, splice in the naked harness (twist and solder the naked end on both), shrink tube (included) the splice point and you're in business.

I don't recommend ganging much on that CN11, but the fans and flipper buttons total below the 1A draw the fuse limits on the fused harness, so they're okay.

#7341 3 years ago

Does anyone have a video on removing the playfield from the Premium? I want to install the art blades soon, and I'm trying to decide whether to do the wet method or remove the playfield. I'm leaning towards removing it if it's not too involved, just to make the art blade install easy. Thanks!

Wet method is dead simple and very forgiving. Just do that.

#7352 3 years ago

This is a known issue with the early machines. Have not heard issues with this in a while though. It can be adjusted to not pop out by stretching it out. Just make sure it doesn't bind when you put it back.

Yes, Stern supposedly addressed this after the initial run.

#7454 3 years ago

The power supply fans are loud on newer sterns. There are kits to quiet it down if it bothers you. Here is one
https://pinmonk.com/products/spike-quiet-fan-plug-n-play-kit
Might as well get this at the same time since you will need it
https://pinmonk.com/products/tibetan-breeze-2-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

Thanks for the recommendations!

#7489 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Balls don’t damage glass.

Fair warning: they do smudge it quite a bit.

#7509 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I’m running a Clelands code. Just curious what happens if I upgrade to the new code. Will it still work just with a few things off?

You lose it until he makes a version to work with the new code.

#7522 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

So I can update my game with his card in it and it will be okay just won’t work the way it does now?

If you like his work and want to revisit it before he has a version that works with the new code but still want to play the new code, too, just image the new code onto a brand new SD, then remove the modified SD you have now with cleland modifications and drop in the updated one.

Now you have two SDs, one with the old code, but cleland's mods on it, and one with the new code. If you want to revisit cleland's version for a game or two, shut down, swap his SD back in, and reboot. Basically with two SDs, one with each version, you can play whichever you want, on demand, until he makes a version for the newest code. The changeover either direction only takes a minute or so, so super easy.

Just make sure you are using a Class10 SD card to image onto, and do not buy it from Ebay or Amazon as there are a LOT of fake Sandisk out there on both platforms. These are the ones I buy (they go on sale at Best Buy from time to time for as little as $10, and I stock up):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-32gb-sdhc-uhs-i-memory-card/3990822.p?skuId=3990822

Instructions to image onto a new SD card as well as current images to use for each game:
https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

#7528 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Evening, everyone. Tried searching this thread for the answer but didn't see anything. I want to move mu outlane posts to the lower setting, but can't figure out how to get them out. I removed the bottom nut and took off the rubber on top, but I can't get the top nut to move. Anyone have any tips?
Thanks

Prop the playfield on the service rails and tap it from below with a small hammer while you pull and twist it out from the top side. The small hammer is just a slight force-assist - you don't want to just smack it out with a big hammer because it may catch a thread edge and chip the clear.

1 week later
#7623 3 years ago

Okay, got the slo mo working - video link attached. Now that I look at the video again, I agree, Chuck. It does seem like the ball loses momentum going up, so I'm not sure more time would matter in this case. It does look like the diverter wiggles quite a bit, so it may also be that I need to tighten it more.

It looks like it's coming in high and hitting the metal guide on top on the "bad" side that robs momentum (you can hear it and see the metal guide vibrate). Can you lift that up so it clears the inverted peak in that part?

#7629 3 years ago

Not sure what you mean. Lift what up, exactly?

The ball is contacting the guide on the back side (lined in red) which acts as a wall to guide it down, but robs a lot of momentum. You need to bring that metal guide up or the TK rod angle down so the ball doesn't contact that upper guide until the green zone.

tk-diverter (resized).jpgtk-diverter (resized).jpg
#7632 3 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

The ball would have to jump quite a ways to hit the guide above the arm, but I suppose it's possible.

I can see where you'd say that with your setup, but his is different.

Look at the slo-mo video full screen. You can hear the "ting" and you see the red light reflection shift on the guide as it moves and the guide vibrates briefly. It's hitting the back side of it as it heads up and I don't think it has to jump at all because the angle of the TK diverter on his seems to be too high.

#7690 3 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

Sorry if its been stated...anyone having issues with the plastic bar that holds the drops up? Local op here has gone through 6 already!

Stern cheaped out on this part starting around the release of Game of Thrones. It's paper thin now. If your OP has access to a 3D printer, you can print one out of ABS or Nylon that's thicker or he can cut a piece of nylon and make one out of that (which is what I did on GoT - never broke again).

#7762 3 years ago

Fair warning if you're considering a Tibetan Breeze kit that the Spike kit will change to the Spooky/JJP style universal design for the Spike kit brackets later this month. Since the change requires more hardware, including expensive 10-32 steel hex standoffs, the price will go up on the Spike TB kits to the level of the Spooky kits.

The advantage of this change is it will mean there's only one type of install that isn't left or right specific like the current Spike brackets which make it hard to do a 3 flipper kit because the 3rd flipper can be either left or right oriented, depending on the flipper placement. The universal bracket goes up from the end over the coil stop so it will work for tight situations like the 3rd flipper on Avengers that's too close to the edge of the playfield for the current bracket design.

Functionally you'll still get great performance from either version, and if you do a less expensive 2 flipper kit now while they're still available and want to add a 3rd flipper cooler, the universal one will be available to add-on to either a universal or an original design, so you won't be left without options if you have the original design.

#7802 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Game of Thrones Premium. But it’s a whole different animal. May not be your cup of tea.

The best. One of my all-time favorites.

#7817 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Another question though I've seen folks with a button surround - where are you getting this from?
Cheers,
Neil.

There's a key post listed as "action button surround" that has someone who posted pictures of it so you can PM them from that post if you don't get an answer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Guilford, CT
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lutherville-timonium, MD
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
654 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinmonk. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.