IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1513 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Like UV spot lights on the sling or something? Am I right in saying they are including a whole new plastic apron?

Kit includes a new apron with lights, lights you attach to the ramps, a power board and cabling/screws. Premium/LE kit includes the metal apron.

EDIT: Forgot about the new plastics too.

#1522 4 years ago

$280 does seem like a lot, then I remember how much I paid for the Tron mini arcade, the Tron lighted ramp kit, or my lighted sauron eye for LOTR, all awesome mods, and it doesn't feel so bad, especially given it includes an apron.

I do think though that LE owners should get this for free, or at least significantly discounted. Saying this as a non-LE owner. Personally I think LE's should come with all Stern accessories. For ones not available at launch, a gift certificate/code.

#1526 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Does it come with some kind of new special node board? Or does it plug into existing plugs on existing boards? If the latter than it's totally doable DIY.

Separate power board.

3 weeks later
#2374 4 years ago

Just got the shipping notice for my UV kit, now at some point I guess I have to get the pin....

2 months later
#3586 3 years ago

I was on the verge of getting a Premium before Covid hit, have the UV kit for a Premium already. The diverter thing worries me though. I don't want to have to disable one of the major mechs on the game to be able to enjoy it. I hope Stern comes up with something to make it more reliable.

#3653 3 years ago

Great work, hopefully they can engineer something different. I’d think it would be a cost effective fix to do and distribute as well.

#3655 3 years ago

Can you backhand the lock with the cover off or still not enough momentum?

3 weeks later
#4051 3 years ago

Things I am waiting for before I jump into the club:

1) An official fix for the TK lock issue.

2) More projection mapping on the ramps, targets etc. Load it up. I want stuff all the time. One of the biggest selling points for the Premium/LE and it just feels lacking. To be fair I haven't seen the last couple of code releases so maybe this has gotten better?

3) More space for pins. Not really Stern's problem

3 months later
#5348 3 years ago

People aren’t mucking with code, they are just replacing files in the game image. For example, the code says “play audio clip 1”. The tool people are using just lets you replace clip 1.

The change you are talking about would require reverse engineering the binary for the game. Not impossible but way more more difficult.

So I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

1 month later
#5998 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I got my premium for $6k, so I would think $5,500 is way too much for a pro.

Wow. Wish deals like that happened around me.

4 months later
#8830 3 years ago

I like the topper, at the old topper prices of $399. I also like the Jurassic Park and Avengers toppers, just not at the prices Stern charges now. I also like keeping money in the bank, so it all works out.

1 month later
#10487 2 years ago

I hope they change their minds and decide to run some more Premiums. I held off getting one thinking they would be running them for a couple of years at least. Find it weird that it is off the line already, feels like they didn't give it enough of a chance to find its legs.

1 week later
#10673 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree. But objectively, it’s a minor bug. It doesn’t happen every time and it’s a moment that only a small fraction of players will see. That’s minor. It’s not game breaking.

Have to agree with RobT on this one. I don't think they need to drop everything to throw out a release to fix it, but there is no reason why Stern couldn't put resources towards fixing known, reproducible bugs. Use a more junior guy, or give the leads a couple of weeks in between games to chase things like this down.

Stern has gotten a lot better with code releases in the last couple of years, the "if they get time" thing feels like going backwards.

#10676 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The reason why they don’t (agree or disagree), is because it’s not revenue generating. At this point, unless they find a pocket of time between games, don’t expect anything else with this one.

I get why they don't. And I don't really expect they will. I don't even own the game because they dropped it so soon. What I said was there is no reason they "can't", and am disappointed if this is their reasoning. When I worked I fixed bugs for software that we didn't sell anymore all the time. Customers were still using it, they paid for it, so we supported it. Pretty simple.

2 months later
#11656 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Just snagged a UV kit on eBay woohoo

I still have my UV kit, with no game

I am holding out hope they will run more Premiums in 2022. Probably won't, but I feel like they will decide to announce another run the day after I choose to sell the kit.

#11688 2 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

My advice is to just order a pro from the run in September. They are still available and, in my opinion, there isn’t a huge difference between the pro and premium for Stranger Things. If you do that, you aren’t holding out with false hope and can start enjoying the pin sooner rather than later…or maybe never.

I want the projector. Doesn't change the gameplay, but changes the overall experience. As Chuckwurt said, I will just pick up a used one in a couple of years if they don't do another run.

If i end up never getting one, then so be it. Lots of pins in the sea. I don't like to compromise on my "fun" stuff, I either get what I want or just don't bother. At the very least, I will have a nice UV kit

4 weeks later
#12083 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

First question - When turning the volume up to medium or louder the cabinet speaker buzzes like its blown out.

I removed and inspected the factory speaker to see if a screw fell inside and was rattling around but nothing there and nothing loose in the bottom of the cab. Also the voice coil feels fine and no scraping when gently moving the speaker cone.

I tested it while facing up and it sounds perfect, but still buzzes while sitting in the mounting spot. It seems the spacer around the edge is too thin and the edge of the speaker cone is hitting the bottom of the cab when mounted normally.

Is this common??? I have some thick weather stripping that I can use to make the ring around the speaker thicker for now. Any other thoughts?

I had a similar issue with my JP Premium. Ended up removing the mesh that Stern puts underneath the speaker. Didn't try weather stripping.

#12135 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Price increase goes live for all older games 1/1/2022. Build dates of after that.

However, any game built that contains the Insider Connect thing (so any game being built while/after Godzilla is on the line) looks like it could go up a couple hundred. Depends on the distrib is my guess.

2 weeks later
#12398 2 years ago

I've been holding out to get a Premium, but looks like that ship has sailed at anything like reasonable prices, even if Stern does do another run in 2022. Considering a Pro because I think I can still get one before the prices go boom.

Kind of a weird situation though because it will probably come with Insider Connect, with the Pro apron. I already have the Premium UV kit, was just going to use the apron from that. I wonder if I will be able to move the QR reader over from the Pro apron to the Premium one and get the new apron art from Stern...

1 week later
#12481 2 years ago
Quoted from DustinP:

Ok so this just happened. I ordered a topper from a large online Stern dealer and it arrived broken. The topper did not have near enough padding inside to protect it in shipping. I could feel it slide back and forth when carrying it in the house. The glass is cracked and the metal base severely bent.
The dealer has set up an RMA for me to send it to Stern for repair?!?
Worse than that is I am expected to pay the shipping?!?

I don't get the "RMA it to Stern" thing. It is trashed because of a shipping issue. I would hope that the dealer would be helping you out with this, not sure why they aren't stepping up. You should be shipping it back to the dealer, and they should be shipping you a new one.

However, if you chose to have it shipped without insurance then you might just have to eat whatever extra costs there are.

Quoted from DustinP:

It was so poorly protected in the box by Stern that I don’t think it was anyone’s fault but Sterns. It had the two grey foam pads on bottom (that slid in the center during transit) and a handful of bubble wrap on top. That’s it.

I don't think the packaging is stellar, but for something to get that bent up and banged around someone was playing soccer with that box. I've had three toppers delivered with that exact same packaging and no damage.

#12498 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t even think Stern makes the toppers. They ship direct from wherever they get built straight to distributors.

I have no direct info, but I thought I heard in interviews/podcasts that they have a small separate line for accessories.

8 months later
#15260 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks to Wizmods from turning the crap pro apron with IC stuff into this:

I like Wizmods stuff, but is any of it officially licensed? If not I don't really want to support.

3 months later
#16320 1 year ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

i wish stern would just commit to another run of a thousand projectors

Use up 500 of them on another Stranger Things Premium run, sell a couple hundred to different parts sellers, keep some on hand for warranty. Would be nice.

1 month later
#16659 1 year ago

no way they make more. reacquire a license that has probably doubled in cost now that the show is a hit, and retool the production line for a game that didn't sell well when they made it? why? they can't even keep up with their backlog

As much as I want Stern to, I doubt they will vault the Premium. I don't agree with your reasoning though:

1) Other than GZ, I think they are pretty much caught up with their backlog.

2) Stranger Things was a hit already when they got the license the first time. Will it be more expensive second time around? Maybe, but people threw the licensing costs around for why ACDC would never be remade, and then it was vaulted (both Pro, Premium and Luci)

3) It didn't sell well because early code hampered it and then covid happened a few months after launch. Locations everywhere shutdown and people went into bunker mentality. It is still a strong theme and the truncated run has increased demand.

besides, the chipset for the projector doesn't exist any more

4) Yes, the original DLP chipset that drives the projector doesn't exist. Doesn't matter, all Stern was doing was feeding it a video signal. A projector with a similar footprint and feature set would work just fine. If Stern really wanted to vault the Premium I am confident they could figure it out.

#16668 1 year ago

in any case, no, they're not going to make more. the next twenty themes are likely already in the works in some form.

Jody (Stern's main licensing guy) said in the video that they would like to work with the Stranger Things license again. Could be an epic troll, could be a hint that they will vault, could be a hint they will do a whole new pin, or maybe a "the pin" based on the license, I guess we will see.

Myself, I will never say never. There were multiple licensing and production "experts" on here who were positive AC/DC would never get vaulted (license is too expensive!!!), and it did. Then "Stern will never vault Luci edition, wasn't popular enough", and they did.

Seems to me the only people who don't want to entertain the possibility are those who own one and want to keep the value inflated.

#16675 1 year ago

that reacquiring the license is prohibitively expensive, was I not being clear lol

You have no idea what it would cost to renew the license. All that is clear is that you think your opinions are the same as facts. There is a difference.

Quoted from Soundkillr:

Agreed... And I'm really tired of the entire "premium owners are worried about their value" crap. I'm of the belief they won't make more because everyone at Stern said they won't.

When did everyone at Stern say they won't make more, ever? I must've missed that.

Quoted from Soundkillr:

A premium at today's prices will be 15k anyway.. So why would I care?

Even with the price jump you are 5k too high.

Quoted from Soundkillr:

They made tons of Adam's family no value loss there

If they vaulted TAF, existing TAF values would drop. Just like MMr and AFMr and MBr caused drops in the prices of the originals. Supply increases, prices drop. You think people would be getting $14k for a Stranger Things Premium if a new one was available for $9800?

In any case, sorry to clutter up the thread. I hope they make more so more people get a chance to own one (myself included). If they never do, so be it.

#16684 1 year ago

1 month later
#16951 1 year ago

Odds have increased on Stern vaulting Stranger Things Premium. Joel Engelberth just did a very informative interview with George Gomez where they talked about Stranger Things and George mentioned "maybe" re-visiting it.

Relevant discussion starts at around the 49:00 minute mark, but the whole video is definitely worth a watch.

2 weeks later
#17046 1 year ago

I have one that I am keeping to trade for ammo during the zombie apocalypse, or to use whenever I find a reasonably priced Premium. Which ever comes first.

2 months later
#17437 1 year ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Yes the Sd card with the code is in there and always was. since the update it does not appear to have taken the code. I will take it out put it back in with a nice reboot and let you all know if it works. I have to run out so will try later.

Taking the card out, and putting it back in with a reboot won't do anything. Once you updated to 1.07, it completely replaced the "Cleland" version on your SD card. So from your SD card's standpoint, the "Cleland" code no longer exists.

Installing Stern's version of 1.05 won't bring it back either, and Stern doesn't supply old versions of its code on their website anyway.

If you want to get the Cleland version back, you will have to re-image the SD card with his version. If you don't have the file to do that, you will probably have to PM him.

This thread has info on how to image a new card:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-cleland-sound-mod

1 week later
#17520 1 year ago
Quoted from haveaniceswim:

Who starts these rumors? Oh yeah, it was George Gomez…

Nope. All he said is they would like to run it again at some point. People heard it as "we are re-running it now" and started calling their distribs. The distribs call Stern, Stern has to clarify.

3 months later
#17721 9 months ago

It'll be interesting for sure if vault rumors for this year are true. There is that gap in their production schedule for November. I was pretty certain they would vault it, but 2024 at the earliest. If they do vault, and the new ones have the UV kit included I'll be kinda pissed at myself for not taking the crazy offer I got for my kit a few months ago.

I have the topper, UV kit and Medisinyl's set all sitting in boxes ready to go, so obviously, I want one, but if price is too high I'll be selling some mods...

#17723 9 months ago
Quoted from Don44:

I never thought about owning a Stranger Things but then I watched the show six months ago and got one recently. I added some pinstadiums they look fantastic in my opinion and way cooler when you go into the upside down. if stern had the license why did they only make 2000 of them?

Covid hit, locations shut down, factory had to shut down. Early code was bad, Premium/LE lock mech had issues, perfect storm of bad.

#17728 9 months ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Ive never understood covering the pf of your games. Why do people do this? Not tryin to be a dick but I seriously dont get it.

To keep dust off I guess. For me I like being able to see the playfield even when walking by, so I just clean the glass once in awhile.

2 months later
#18007 6 months ago

Man, I should've taken the 1K USD offer I had for my UV kit a few months ago. Oh well, at least I don't have to try to source another one.

#18016 6 months ago

I wonder if the aprons in the new Premium runs are going to have the full apron artwork that newer games have. Hope so, I think they look much better, but will make it a pain with my older style UV kit.

1 month later
#18634 5 months ago
Quoted from nicholasdeorio:

My distributer is saying late November/Early December for my Pro order and I haven’t gotten an invoice yet. Should I jump ship and look for other distributers who still have stock or is it normal for them to still not have the shipment?

I am very new at this so I am not really sure on how the process usually goes.

Your distro may be waiting on Premiums to be done as well to consolidate their shipment from Stern. Also possible Stern didn't do the whole run of Pros due to parts/whatever and your distro didn't get all of theirs. Also possible the distro is full of crap, hard to say.

There are distributors who have it in stock ready to ship right now, like Nitro pinball. So if you want it now, jump. If where you have your order is local to you that might be important, depending on how much post sales support you want/need. In that case it might be worth waiting.

#18727 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stern 100% said they were delayed a bit and expect premiums to be on the line in early December. That could also then turn into mid/late December or January.

Yeah I was hoping I'd have the game by early December, Xmas is now feeling like a faint hope. If they don't have the parts they don't have them, not much you can do but wait. I've had it on my collection wish list for over three years now so I've learned patience. Kinda.

1 week later
#18963 4 months ago

Just got asked to pay in full for my Premium! Looks like they will be shipping out soon.

1 week later
#19253 4 months ago

Mine doesn't ship out until Friday

Looking grim for getting it by Xmas.

#19405 4 months ago
Quoted from Kabball:

I thought I had missed out on this as I dragged my feet too long and then my distributor all of a sudden added them back in stock so I immediately put down my deposit and apparently they already shipped out from STERN a couple days ago. So I went from missing out to getting one in just a few days from now. I wonder if they sold out so quick Stern decided to keep them in production an extra week above what they had planned.

I think they'll be producing them in January as well.

#19532 4 months ago

I've had my UV kit for three and a half years. My Premium shipped out to me today. I am eager for the two of them to meet, needs to happen by the 21st or I won't be able to pick it up it until the 27th

#19571 4 months ago

Yeah, a ramp that throws the ball into the air that can bounce off of the demo in a bunch of different directions is going to cause dimples. Steel is harder than wood, plus gravity and speed.

#19614 4 months ago

Picked up my game today! Arrived a whole day earlier than my most optimistic estimate. Tomorrow will be adjusting, installing UV kit, Medisinyl's mods and the topper. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get around to playing lol

#19656 4 months ago

Been tweaking my Premium, not much playing yet. I did install the UV kit and I was a bit worried that it might not go well as the kit is original run. For anyone else in the same boat, it works fine except some pain with the insider connect scanner.

The original run Premiums had lit up art in the two apron triangles. The original UV kit has the same arrangement, with a cut out for the Insider Connect scanner in the bottom right. New run premiums only light up the left apron triangle and have Insider Connect in the right apron triangle. I tried setting it up two ways:
1) Remove the art from the right side of the UV kit apron and just move the connect scanner over. It doesn't quite fit. The scanner bracket and the UV apron light board on that side interfere with each other.

2) Move the scanner to the bottom right of the UV kit apron like some people were doing with original run Premiums. Pros: You get to keep the right side apron art. Cons: The right side apron art is no longer lit. Could look at running an LED board there, but I am lazy. Also the scanner is just surrounded by plain black apron, need to do something to liven it up.

Other than that, and a couple of wonky screws that came with the kit it was all pretty straightforward. Will be interested to see how the new UV kits differ.

#19658 4 months ago

I've also been having the same problems others have with the demo ramp. Comes down fine, but was having problems going back up. I used some pliers to bend the hinge making sure it was straight and it seems to be working okay. It is still binding a bit on the left hand part of the screen though. Not sure the best way to adjust it without taking the whole assembly apart, which could be a chore for another day if I keep having issues. If anyone has done that on the original or the new let me know, I didn't see anything in key posts.

Also had two gouges in the center screen right from the factory, will see if Stern will send me a new sticker.

#19674 4 months ago

Spent a big chunk of time getting the game setup and adding the UV kit today.

Ramp issues:

Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

I was able to fix mine and posted an update, perhaps it needs to be marked as a key post, chuckwurt feel free to do this if you feel the same way, but see others having this issue and I know things get lost in the thread due to all the excitement.
Below is the update and what I did, works perfectly and smoothly now:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/393#post-7931646

Did this and I think? it worked. Still had the ramp do the "I've fallen and can't get up" once right after but the motor just might've been out of position. I'll keep an eye on it. At least it isn't rubbing on the left anymore. Thanks!

TK lock:
I've barely had time to test, but did lock three balls on TK no problem.

Demo:
I was ready to try adjustments but then sunk two in a row, so I'll see if I can get to consistency without any tweaks.

Flipper power:
I also turned down the power on both left and right flippers, at 225 for both right now. I was getting airballs off of the drops at default power, seems to have calmed down. Might lower them even further.

This game has required the most tweaking of any NIB I have owned, but I think I am getting there. I'd be reasonably happy if one of the apron bolts hadn't snapped in half...on my UV kit apron no less.

#19693 4 months ago

Screen ramp started being wonky again, and my projector keeps losing focus (even after waiting for warmup). So game is turned off until I hear from support. Worst NIB experience since my X-men LE playfield chipping incident of 2012.

New Bond code came out though, so I have something new to play over the holiday.

#19707 4 months ago
Quoted from Kabball:

So last night I went to the effort of taking off the apron and making sure the projector was perfectly focused. There is a metal bracket with foam that presses right up against the focus slide. So if something is not tight i could see some machine movement and flex adjusting that possibly.

Been there, done that. I went through 5 rounds of pulling everything apart, adjusting focus perfectly, putting the bracket back on, verifying focus is perfect, put apron on and focus is screwed again. I think the focus slider on my projector is just wonky. Tiny little adjustments will significantly change focus one time, the next have to move it much further to get the same impact. Last night focus was great, played a few games. Turned it on this morning and let it warm up for 20 mins, focus was screwed again. Then ramp stopped working. Then I shut it off and played video games.

#19713 4 months ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

I've just left the foam-covered metal bracket off the focus adjustment slide; I put it in the coin box. I find I can reach up under the apron and adjust focus this way without removing anything. I got focus dialed in this way, and it's been fine for several days and a few dozen games now.

This is where I was last night, thought it was fixed, this morning focus was out again. I'll give it another shot.

#19717 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Focus changes as it warms up, so cold will always be a little out of focus. You want to adjust the focus with it warmed up.

I know. Been waiting 20-30 mins after start to make sure. I'll try longer.

#19733 4 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I had this issue with my prem. Focus on service position was always different than it down and apron on.
I think at the time I realized that it was best to adjust focus with the apron off but PF NOT in service position, I believe the is enough flex on the PF when it is down to change the location of the focus versus the PF sliding on the service rails.
Just a small change in angle will make the image fuzzy.

Try adjusting the focus with the apron off and the playfield inside the game and not on service position.

I have tried that. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. Pretty much lifting and then lowering the playfield will cause me focus issues. Projector is secure, brackets are all tight, just very flaky.

Game also has other issues that make it unplayable, so unplugged and will be that way for awhile. Got a bit of a lemon this time.

#19741 4 months ago
Quoted from hiker2099:

You’ll know it when you see it. Quality control Stern, quality control. I can’t imagine how many wires have been banged around and became unsoldered.

Last three NIB I've bought had the coinbox clip either rattling around in the cabinet or in the bottom of the cardboard box. Missing a quality control step somewhere. Luckily I haven't had the coinbox go flying anywhere yet. Hope everything is okay.

#19770 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Tip for focusing the projector. It’s annoying, but once the game has been on and warmed up, get the focus close to perfect then when putting on the cushioned cover, that should move the focus wheel just a hair to make it perfect as you tighten down the cover. You should never have to touch the focus again. The cover is there for a reason.

On the new projectors it isn't a wheel any more, it is sliding switch.

#19785 4 months ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Some items from Stern are not threaded and require a thread cutting screws. These items are not made incorrectly, it's just how they are designed. The manual will call for thread cutting screws if required for certain areas.

The UV kit doesn't come with thread cutting screws. The screws provided in the kits do not go into the rails. Nothing in the instructions calls for thread cutting screws or needing a tap and die set. I have an original kit and cannot get screws into one spot on each of the two rails. So, maybe the item wasn't made incorrectly, but they sure didn't provide the right parts or instructions then.

#19799 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

I found an install video and theirs wasn’t like mine and their plastic border was flush all around, so guess that confirms mine somehow got messed up.

Anyway, figured I’d post in case someone else gets a topper like this.

Mine is like this too. It is a problem for another day.

#19806 4 months ago

In my latest attempt to adjust focus I had it good, then pulled the playfield out onto the service rails and focus went blurry. Banged my hand lightly on the apron a couple of times and it went back into focus. I had an old tv like that once. I really hope I just have a bad projector and it isn't a model issue.

#19808 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Have had that happen, too. Made me wonder the same thing. You HAVE to raise the PF to access the two nuts to remove the apron, so there's no way around some vibration putting it back together. Made me wonder what the shaker motor experience focus/not focus is like.

You can remove the foam bracket so you can adjust the focus without removing the apron, but I don't want to have to be constantly pulling the glass to adjust focus either. The projector should be able to withstand a reasonable amount of vibration without throwing everything out of whack or it will never work long term for a pinball machine.

Others don't seem to have the same issue, and I assume Stern tested this new model, so I am cautiously optimistic I just have a defective one. I have a detailed email with video into Stern, but realistically I am not expecting much of a response until the New Year.

#19811 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Since the slider seems to be a digital input device rather than a potentiometer

I'm not convinced it is a digital input device, physical resistance moving the switch seems to vary depending on position, you'd think for a digital input it would be consistent. I'd try to take it apart and look, but I think that might void any warranty....

#19841 4 months ago

I have said the same thing 1 page ago. Even without having this new version here.

Can this be solved by replacing the cable with one that does not touch the apron?

Call me crazy. But haw anyone tried replacing the cable?

It has been less than 48 hours since I have had the game, and we are heading into xmas. Sourcing a cable hasn't really been my number one priority right now, but it may be something I look at after xmas.

There are two cables, the power and the hdmi, both are pretty tight to the apron. I wonder if the issue where I lose focus when pulling the playfield out onto the rails is because the hdmi cable and port are getting flexed against the apron. Might also be possible to bend the apron out a mm or so to reduce pressure.

#19847 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Received the game today played approximately 6 games.

Power down the machine and turn the back on now it doesn't work.

Stuck and start up in progress mode?
Never seen that before.

Flaky SD card maybe? Double check it is fully seated, maybe flash a new card.

#19892 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

My son is doing it.
Yes he said.
I'm having him reformat and try again.

If that doesn't work I'd be looking at status lights on the CPU board, status lights on Node 1, see if the boards are powered and booting properly. Checking cables, connectors, etc. Could be a dead CPU or node but could also just be a bad connection somewhere. Good luck.

#19894 4 months ago

If both CPU board (Node 0) and Cabinet board (Node 1) are getting power and communicating, I am running out of ideas.

You could try disconnecting the RJ45 going from the CPU to Node 9 so that only Node 1 is connected. Maybe something downstream is causing issues and disconnecting it would get you booting? I'd also unplug the shaker if you have one, basically just get down to foundational stuff and see if things boot, might help point towards the issue.

The coin door buttons connect to the cabinet node at CN10. Then they chain from cabinet node CN12 to CPU node CN 25. I'd pull and reseat all of those connectors and see if you get coin door buttons back at least.

If you don't, then the only thing I can think of is the CPU or the cabinet node are fried

PS-> I am an amateur with a manual and hiding from his inlaws on Xmas eve. I am sure Stern will be able to help you after the holidays.

#19984 3 months ago

I finally got my Premium to a playable state (I hope). Never had a NIB with this many issues. I think I've spent about 15 hours messing around with it and about an hour total playing time.

Screen ramp:
--------------------------
Had a lot of fun trying to get this working. Every time I thought I had it fixed (would work great 20 times in a row while testing), it would eventually hang and not go up every few games. Out of the box the left side of the screen was too close to the ramp, causing obvious binding issues. Did the fix recommended in:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/393#post-7931646

and that got me most of the way there, but was still having problems. For me the final piece of the puzzle was noticing that the left side of the screen would sometimes flex very slightly inward whenever the ramp tried to go up. Even though it didn't look like it was binding anywhere it was adding enough pressure to stop the screen.

I took a washer, wrapped it in a couple of layers of electrical tape to fatten it up a bit and wedged it between the screen bracket and the left hand post just behind the drops to fully support the bracket. No flex anymore, and I have played about 10 games with no more ramp stoppage. Not an elegant fix, but it is invisible, should never move anywhere and gets the job done.

Projector focus:
------------------------
My projector focus seems reasonably stable now. I put the foam bracket back on so everything is buttoned up but I'll still have it go blurry about 75% of the time when I lift the playfield up and put it on the support rails. Banging lightly on the apron or just lifting the playfield and knocking it on the rails again will get it back into focus. I doubt this is normal, and am hoping Stern will get back to me and get me a different projector as I am worried at some point I won't be able to get focus back in, but playable for now.

Drops:
------------------------
My second drop target was never registering. Nothing visually wrong with the opto board for the drop targets, all the solder points looked normal. Tried cleaning the opto but no go. Swapped the board in from my Deadpool LE and everything works 100%. Just waiting to hear from Stern support, should hopefully send me a new board and I'll get both games up and going.

TK lock:
-------------------------
I was getting major air balls off of the left ramp and missing some locks. I moved the left ramp cover over more to the right and knocked flipper power down and I get three balls locked no problem, luckily I didn't have to touch the diverter. Left flipper at 215, right flipper at 210 work for me, still plenty of power without things going out of control.

#20043 3 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

My UV kit arrives tomorrow. What is the install time on that bad dog?

Thanks,

Mike

Couple hours maybe? I didn't time installing mine. The most time consuming part is swapping all the plastics. The most time consuming part of that is peeling the film off both sides...

#20047 3 months ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Maybe ~1hr to install the UV kit.

Could be. A lot depends on how long it takes you to get that film off, and how often you drop screws or washers into the game and then have to stop everything to find them.

#20077 3 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Every time I start a game the drops just keep repeatedly trying to reset even though they already are. What do I need to check?

I had a similar issue on mine, one of the drops wasn't registering properly. Go into switch test and test each of the drops, make sure they are registering when they go down, and aren't reading down when they are up.

#20081 3 months ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

What is the fix if this is the case? Reseat connectors?

Reset the connector, clean the optos, check for loose wire in the connector, maybe reflow solder points on the board. For me, I did the first three and then just said screw it and swapped the board in from my Deadpool. Waiting on Stern for a new board.

#20113 3 months ago
Quoted from Jakers:

See how the white is separate from the demo dog? I can move the white box correctly with the settings but the demodog does not follow that same adjustment.

I’m a video editor/compositor so when I say layer, it just means the white box and demodog animation can be moved separately.

Quoted from Svenop:

I experienced the same. 2 layers. A white background and a black demodog layer. Moving that panel all the way up in settings and it was split white and black exactly like yours with the demodog still low

New Premium on 1.11 and my demo dogs are centered fine, although my far right target demo dog is off, so doubt it is a code bug. I think it is like Chuckwurt says, if you adjust individual images too much things can get wonky.

#20154 3 months ago
Quoted from beefzap:

Middle screen/ramp does not go back up all the time. Seems like every other game it gets stuck about half way up. Last game it went halfway and then after 15 seconds it went all the way back. Any ideas? Thanks

Do you hear the motor still spinning when the screen stops moving? If so, it is binding up somewhere. The motor is clutched and will disengage if it thinks something is blocking the ramp from moving. The first part of my post here talks about the fun I had with it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/400#post-7940077

If you do not hear the motor continuing to run after the ramp stops, you could have a flaky switch telling the game the ramp is already up, or maybe something wrong with the internals of the motor.

#20196 3 months ago
Quoted from beefzap:

The ramp goes up and down 100% in test mode. Only during every third or fourth game does it fail by only going 1/2 way up.

When going up it is very smooth, when it goes down it jitters a little, not as smooth.

There is spacing between the two outer screens and the middle one.

Quoted from beefzap:

Did you ever find a solution? Thanks

In my case, even though there was space between the center and the sides, it was still binding because the left side was slightly flexing in when the motor started to pull the ramp back up. See the post I linked previously.

If the motor stays energized after the ramp stops, it is still binding enough somewhere to cause the clutch to disengage. If the motor isn't still making noise when the ramp blocks it is something else, possibly a bad motor or flaky switch that is cutting power to the motor prematurely.

I was able to reproduce my issue in test mode by blocking the ramp with my hand right where it was hanging in game, then removing my hand to see if the ramp would resume on its own or not.

#20270 3 months ago
Quoted from Crucialshard007:

I need some help. I wanted to make a minor projector adjustment, it was pretty good out of box and I accidently reset it. Anyway spent a long time realigning but now all the targets and drops are upside down. The ramps and walls and the main drive in screen are correctly oriented. I thought Rot would work but it does nothing. I can't figure this one out. I should have never messed with it. Please help, lol.

Quoted from Crucialshard007:

I can't find anything in the old threads. I guess I will have to try customer service.

Reset your projector again. Adjust "All" until the majority of the surfaces are close, then adjust each individually. That's what I've had the best luck with.

The way I think it works is that every individual projector surface that you can adjust (small rectangles/squares) is part of an overall canvas (big rectangle) that the software draws on. So if you adjust individual pieces first without adjusting the whole, things get weird. Just a guess.

#20411 3 months ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Would you mind maybe posting up a video of gameplay with your AI Pinstadiums in action? I've been waiting for the Stern UV Kits to come back online and just can't push myself to order the AI's for 2 reasons:

1. They seem really overpowering in the pictures I've seen so far.
2. I read that the Medisinal Mod won't fit with pinstadiums.

3. You don't get the UV reactive plastics.

#20415 3 months ago
Quoted from NeonNightRide:

This too. I am waiting to see what running both will look like along with the plastics when the UV kit gets here. I will also decide at that point if I drop the Pinstadiums for the left half of Medisinyl.

I think it will be an easy decision once you see the UV kit in action.

4 weeks later
#20992 82 days ago
Quoted from VinnyBlanc:

Are we expecting any changes in the new run Premium UV Kits? I’m just wondering with respect to IC scanner integration….

Quoted from blizz81:

?

I would expect it to be the same / for you to have to transfer your reader over to the UV apron, if that's what you're asking.

New run Premiums have the reader in the top right of the apron. Original UV kits have a spot in the bottom right. Unknown yet which way the new UV kits aprons will go.

#21088 77 days ago
Quoted from hoaxTricks:

I have yet another issue (you wouldn't know this game is brand new eh). And want to ask to see if these 2 things are related. The RH side lock ball target has lost its white cover. Right now the teleknsis/electricity sound plays constantly, and points rack up constantly. Things like upside down mode start really fast as it's counting it as playfield interaction. You've barely knocked down 1 target before upside down starts due to this, and 2nd round upside down starts up real fast after.

Kindly advise if anyone else has had this issue and if you guys think they are related . I have emailed Stern support for a replacement piece.

No, the two issues are not related. The sticker falling off has nothing to do with the switch triggering.

Quoted from hoaxTricks:

The switch itself doesn't light up right away, so I don't think that's happening. Unless it has two functions.
The replacements in the bag have little center hole cut outs, so I wasn't sure they were meant for it. The LH side one doesn't have a center perforation.

The standup target decals have two parts. One with the hole cut out which goes on first over the rivet, then a piece without the hole cut out that goes on top. You could probably just clean the face of the target and re-stick the old one, see if it holds up.

Others have mentioned switches to check, learning to use the switch test features in the Diag menu will reap benefits. It will point you to a switch being active that shouldn't.

1 week later
#21256 66 days ago
Quoted from ExportZ:

Is it necessary to wire a new LED socket to illuminate the right plastic?

Quoted from Matix:

I had this exact same question, seems like complete crap to only have one side light up. Anyone done this mod already?

Yes. I haven't done it yet. The original run of Stranger Things Premium had a light there already as it did not have the reader. The new run Stranger Things don't have a light there because the IC reader is in the top right.

Looks like Stern did not re-design the UV kit apron for the new runs, just kept it the same as the original run.

Like ScottyC I tried to move the reader to the top right of the UV kit apron (I had an original run UV kit), but it interferes with the UV led strip. So options are to move the IC reader to the bottom right of the apron or to the coin door with a mod kit, and then run a light to the top right of the UV apron.

#21286 65 days ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

My new UV kit doesn't have the IC reader hole where yours does, maybe you received NOS?

Interesting for sure. Any photos of the underside of the apron?

Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

That almost forces you to relocate the IC system to the coin door.

Maybe, maybe not. You may just be able to take the IC mount out of the existing apron and add it to the UV one. That is what I tried with my old stock UV kit but it wouldn't fit right. Maybe other things are different with this new apron.

#21369 62 days ago
Quoted from Matix:

Bad news, I’m not sure I have the right kit. There is no hole for the IC to be placed. Did I just get a really old kit or did I get shipped a pro kit rather then a premium? Its solid metal so don’t think it’s a pro, maybe I am over thinking this and just need to replace the artwork in the window and drive on.

Yes, just replace the artwork, theoretically. You should be able to just remove the top right plastic, and then swap the whole top right segment from the old apron with the IC reader into the UV apron. The only tricky part is the LED boards on the apron, you want to make sure that you aren't interfering with them. That was a problem when I tried to move the IC reader onto an orig UV kit apron, not sure about this newer one.

#21379 61 days ago
Quoted from evileye:

Someone started a thread here not long ago, stated that when he removed IC the game would cry about a node board issue at startup. Game was still playable after that. Running theory though is that is only the case for newer games that had IC installed from the very first run (Jaws, Foo Fighters, etc). STh is not one of those games so perhaps there would be no annoying warnings. I haven’t been able to test this, but feel free to give it a shot and let us know.

Mine is unhooked, game doesn't complain.

#21417 60 days ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

If I remove the impacted bulb will the others come back up?

If it is the bulb, yes. If it is a blob of solder or other debris in the socket, then no. According to the manual for the Premium, "Bottom GI-VIO(x9)" is Bulb 152, so one of the gi bulbs under the right inlane plastic. Remove the bulb, if the short goes away other lights should come back on. If short doesn't go away, check for debris in the socket, or something touching the socket underneath the playfield.

Check out pages 20-22 in the manual.

#21418 60 days ago
Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I’ve just received my new run premium.
Having a bit of trouble with the TK lock. I’ve looked through and seen a fix for the 3rd ball rejects. I’ll need to do that too but I’m having more trouble with the actual first lock. The ball is probably hitting where the original magnet position was. Trouble is the ball seems to bounce over the up post a bit and not register the shot.
I’ve dialed the flipper strength down about as far as I can go without causing too many left orbit issues and still probably getting a 30% success rate.
Has anyone looking into the possibility of shifting that lock magnet mech?

Have you tried moving the plastic on the top of the ramp over to the right? The ball was flying everywhere on mine until I moved that as far to the right as I could. That combined with lowering the flipper power and my TK lock has been solid.

#21447 59 days ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

I’d like to know more about what’s happening here. The original UV kit didn’t have a place for IC because it didn’t exist during the initial run of STh (if I recall correctly; my early pro did not have IC). Now, some of us are getting kits with the square in the lower right part of the apron. Others are not. A post above received a kit that came from the Game Exchange that had the hole in the metal apron. Several others, including myself received one with out the IC provision. I understand that I can move the triangle scanner from the game to the new metal apron but it feels like this is a NOS kit. I’d personally rather have it in the instruction card area than up in the triangle.

I have an OG UV kit that I bought several years ago. It has the square in the lower right part of the apron, so I don't think you got an old apron. If anything the new version of the apron doesn't have the cutout on purpose. Personally I wish they would've done a modern Premium apron with the sticker that covers the whole thing. Not sure why this halfway version exists.

#21603 54 days ago
Quoted from KJS:

Quick question before I dive under the hood today.
Main ramp not returning fully after demo sequence, slowly returns - sometimes....binding mechanically?
I'll check switches and motor plus positioning of mech but just wondered if anyone else had same issues nib. About 15 plays only. Did a search in here but nothing came up.

Check the key posts, look for Demogorgon ramp

#21606 54 days ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

think I know what I will have to do, adjust the apron. But after tearing into it yesterday I'm just not ready for that headache quite yet. What concerns me is that the projector seems to be in there pretty darn tight without much room to physically move and adjust. Makes me wonder if there's something else I can do besides that? And I also know that there is an adjustment called SCL (scale?) but that one doesn't seem to do anything for me. I was hoping it would make each projection bigger, but like I said, does nothing.

My guess is your apron is putting pressure on the HDMI cable, pushing the back of the projector down, so the front is coming up. You should be able to see if that is the case, put the playfield on the support rails and take a look at the back of the apron where it meets the projector cable. It doesn't have to move much to noticeably move the image.

Scale and Rotate only affect the adjustment when set to "ALL". You cannot rotate or scale each individual piece.

Quoted from LeMansFan:

Also a little curious if anyone knows what a "Factory Reset" of the projector does? It won't totally mess things up will it? Just thinking that out of the box it was much closer to alignment than it is now, maybe start with that if it won't totally mess things up.

Factory Reset won't hurt anything. I've done it a couple of times when I was messing around. The most important thing when doing the projector adjustment is to adjust "ALL" first. Not just for scale and rotation but to get all of the projector surfaces close, then adjust the individual ones as needed.

Think of the "ALL" as a canvas, where each individual surface (drop targets, etc) are drawn onto it. When you adjust "ALL" you are changing the size and location of the canvas, when you adjust the small pieces you are moving where they are being drawn on the canvas.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are people making focus adjustments after the game has time to warm up? Like 20 mins.

Friendly reminder.

It can't hurt, but it didn't really seem to impact my focus one way or the other. Mine is focused pretty much from boot. Not sure if they changed something in the new run of projectors, maybe a different lens?

One issue a few people are having with the new projector is just tapping on the projector, or tapping on top of the apron above the projector can change the focus, even if the bracket is in place. In that case I'd reach out to Stern.

#21653 53 days ago

Some of every pinball machine ever shipped from every manufacturer will have issues. The issues are magnified in forums like these because people come in to complain and find solutions.

My premium was pretty problematic when I got it, probably had the most issues of any NIB game I have had. It now works flawlessly. Was frustrating to go through but would do it twice over to have the projector and TK lock.

For people who don't like/know/want to learn about working on pins and adjusting things, always get the Pro of every Stern game. They have less mechs and features so require less maintenance.

1 week later
#21913 44 days ago
Quoted from gixxerjoe:

Also, I’ve got my projector dialed in pretty good with the starbrite material but the right ramp is WAY off and I can’t get it calibrated where it needs to be with the in-game adjustment. It’s just way low. The other sections are good so I’m hesitant to do anything drastic to try to get it to work. Any advice?

If the regular adjustments for right ramp aren't working to get it close then you really have no choice but to do a factory reset on the projector settings and start from scratch.

Quoting myself to save typing:

Quoted from paul_8788:

The most important thing when doing the projector adjustment is to adjust "ALL" first. Not just for scale and rotation but to get all of the projector surfaces close, then adjust the individual ones as needed.

Think of the "ALL" as a canvas, where each individual surface (drop targets, etc) are drawn onto it. When you adjust "ALL" you are changing the size and location of the canvas, when you adjust the small pieces you are moving where they are being drawn on the canvas.

Should only take about 5 minutes to get everything set the way you want.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.