IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10825 2 years ago

Hey all,

I played this for the first time the other day (for quite a while.. loving this game!) and had a question -- the "stern quarter search" mode -- does that reference something I'm missing? I don't get why it's in a totally different style, with the very comic-y title and they added a copywrite date to it that looks like its 1983 or something? Is that just to make it fit in with the 80's theme? Just seemed weird to me..

Also the pro vs prem -- is the demo mouth easier to sink balls into in the pro? The premium seems like it hardly ever went in, very difficult to hit. Maybe that's adjustable though somehow? (sorry haven't had time to dig back 200 pages to look for this, didn't see it recently brought up).

#10833 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It fits the theme perfectly since it is an 80's type arcade game. You know, like the 80's arcade that's in the show?

I've never played anything other than my LE, but I have read others saying that the Demo mouth on the LE seems easier to nail than the pro (out of the box).

Yeah that makes sense, I still thought it seemed out of place as it’s the only asset done in that style. But maybe that’s just me lol

Thanks chuckwurt for advice on adjusting. I think I’ll have a game shipping here this week if all goes well

May have to pick up some clear drops.. and also questioned what would happen with the projector image but sounds like it works.. it’s really hard to take accurate pictures of pinball lighting like that.

Do trough lights mess with the projector images at all (wash them out a bit?)

#10835 2 years ago

Did you make the part that goes thru the optical sensors opaque? They won’t detect unless you do something to cover that tab.. nail polish or a decal , possibly sharpie?

#10838 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

You know that went through my mind as a possible issue but I didn’t think the makers of these clear drops wouldn’t do it for you or give you a heads up before installing
Update: that was the issue, used a black acrylic marker and it works fine now

Same thing happened to me. Took some tinkering and testing until I realized. A heads up from anyone selling them would be nice

#10866 2 years ago

Regarding the UV kit— what is the purpose of the extra plastics that come with it? Is there a uv ink layer on them that’s not on the regular ones? And the new arch adds more uv light strips- is that true?

I’m wondering about the difference between this kit and the pin stadium one that my prem is coming with

#10872 2 years ago

That stinks no way to just get the plastics anyway.. yeah, I guess once the uv kits are in stock again I’ll have to pick one up

#10878 2 years ago

Does stern make extra LE back glasses or are they literally 1 for 1 with machines and if you break yours accidentally you’re screwed?

#10905 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You'd still have to use the prem/LE code to make the projector work with the game unless you're just projecting random crap on a screen, which is pretty lame. Just sell the damn pro and buy a premium if you decide you like the game enough to upgrade. If somebody actually DID come up with a projector solution, I can guarantee it'd cost you just about as much as it would to just swap out machines.

I dunno, prem price is creeping up. If they don’t make more I see it going to $9k while pros sit around $5400

#10945 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:I got mine off Amazon and sent it to Lermods to mod it. Works off a light trigger which I put near the plastic behind Eleven, so when that light goes off, so does the plasma disc. It has a plastic belt loop attachment that fits perfectly over the plastic already there, so no permanent mounting.

Love to see a pic and link to the one you bought (unless they are generally a standard size??)

#10958 2 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Is Stern going to fix the issues with the Premium and do another run?

Going to say no

#10973 2 years ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Take a number!! Lol I, too, have the 'I-missed-the-boat-on-the-premium' membership card, lol

I think they’ll be some Huo up for sale next year for sure by owners ready to move on.. only question is if they’ll be $8k or $11k.

Actually that makes me wonder, besides tron, have any other sterns (premiums) ran up a lot in price due to scarcity?

#11016 2 years ago
Quoted from Prophet:

I’ll go back and watch one of your streams to see what other effects you’re getting. I know my Pinstadiums flash every time the UV GI flashes. You can see it at the end of the vid I posted just as it goes into Demogorgon mode. It would be nice to have the plastics from the official kit.

Yeah, if it’s recreating all the effects then, the lack of plastics is really the main detractor. That and if you like pinstadiuns or not. I’m sure there will be no way to just get the plastics so if you want them your stuck getting the whole kit. Do they make that much of a difference?

#11022 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...or just install the PinMonk fans.

Isn’t that setup kinda spendy vs cost of 2 coils?

#11137 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I just want to record for posterity that I passed on a NIB LE for 10,750, and NIB Premium for 8300. I’ll check back in a year to see how I feel about those decisions.

i don't see them skyrocketing like jjp pirates, but my money is on them both being valued at least 1 grand above that in a year. we shall see..

#11150 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You got lucky imo. Hopefully you never have any issues. Not worth the risk for me.

Hoping I got lucky with sti this time.. first time shipping a pin - Sth prem arriving today supposedly. The risk is def on the buyer. It’s tough to get games local if you are looking for something specific that most owners aren’t selling. Definitely prefer local when possible though

#11153 2 years ago

Arrived! Wrapping came completely off the shooter dice and sustained a minor scuff. Head decal scuffed at edge. Minor in my opinion, although unfortunate since it was mint prior to shipping. Not enough to pursue a claim.

0F8244DD-CDDE-40E5-8F18-75CD93505E74 (resized).jpeg0F8244DD-CDDE-40E5-8F18-75CD93505E74 (resized).jpeg19474925-E83B-4B57-BB3B-7E262A691E7C (resized).jpeg19474925-E83B-4B57-BB3B-7E262A691E7C (resized).jpeg9A232543-96AF-4E4E-9B4A-58C8A6254354 (resized).jpeg9A232543-96AF-4E4E-9B4A-58C8A6254354 (resized).jpeg
#11156 2 years ago

Oh it was protected. It was wrapped by the guy I bought it from - he did a great job. Blankets all around, leg cardboard, and then all shrinkwrapped. The head was up against something at some point and just rubbed at that point -- you could see the damage even on the blankets, it had worn thru them there -- I should have taken a picture but the guys were unwrapping it at the time.

Anytime you ship a pin I think you're just taking a chance.. there's likely going to be a little damage if you ship it with the legs on because it has to be secured somehow so there's likely going to be at least 1 rub point? With a full palletization, you're probably much safer from damage like this. But then who knows, it could get forked. The guys lifted this and walked it off the truck and into my garage. I'm sure it was probably forked or pallet jacked at some point in the trip though.

I used STI. I'd use them again, but I'd sure try to find a local game before shipping anything as it's a bit nerve-racking. Although the drop-off is nice.

#11157 2 years ago

anyone have a picture of that side of the head? I'm curious what rubbed off -- looks like it was a green stoplight?

#11160 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

By looking at the rest of the pic I would assume it's a Xmas light

Lol ok, I feel like a dumbass. I wasn’t staring at the whole picture, so focused on the damage lol -- all the online images I found were zoomed out too far to see what was going on

#11174 2 years ago

That’s not it, right where you circled? Looks like it to me, the nut that screw screws into??

#11193 2 years ago

I'd agree that the cost difference isn't really justified, but that said the pro is just a very different feeling game to me w/out the projector... that huge blank space that was so obviously made for the projector staring at you every time you play. Good luck prying a prem from someone right now though... hard to come by.

Speaking of Prem, I just messed with my TKO lock for an hour - Still not sure I got it dialed in. When a game comes with a multiple page guide on adjusting a mech to within a .07" tolerance that almost requires the use of calipers -- not only in a horizontal but also vertical positioning.. I think that answers any questions about the possibility of Stern producing another run of Premiums. Not worth it when you have mechs that require such tight adjustment. I really think they could have designed that better/differently.

I really wish that the right orbit didn't just hit pops and dribble back out too -- 1 more coil and they could have had the left orb ramp lift up on a right orbit to allow a full orbit underneath it. Hell it could have allowed full orbits either direction sometimes, and other times the left would divert up to the ramp return to the flipper. Would have been much more satisfying than the pops and actually net eliminated 2 coils from the BOM.

#11197 2 years ago

Yup, good trade bait. 1 or 2 prems or LEs seem to pop up every month right now for sale

#11212 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Ah, cool. So if it makes the wall, you get a physical lock, and if it misses you get the virtual. That makes sense. Same as Aerosmith.

Well.. except if you don’t get enough speed and it comes back down the ramp towards the middle. Right now I think that would happen every time I tried a backhand lock.

#11222 2 years ago

Hitting the bib loop is a better design imo- I don’t understAnd the desicion to have it just hit the drops - kinda boring .. you’re hitting those the whole game already

#11263 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This cannot be emphasized enough. Even with the new ramp cover, this is so important. Glad you got it!

I was trying to do this on mine and going to shim it in back but got frustrated cause there was little access to put the shim in — do more things have to be removed to do that? Still having issues on mine

1 week later
#11312 2 years ago

Anyone notice end of ball drains not registering as quickly as you’d expect? Like sometimes sitting there 3-5s after ball has clearly drained and sitting in trough until the bonus sequence kicks in. Maybe Not always but fairly often fir me.. just seems like it should be kicking in faster. Or is that normal?

#11314 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I'm curious about this too. It happens to me also. Not every ball but maybe 1 in 10 drains. Mine is a NIB with under 50 plays so I was going to look at the trough switch. Sometimes it will ball search and then realize it's drained. Seems like I need to align the last switch in trough?

If it’s ball searching def seems like a trough switch. I don’t get any ball searching, which is curious.. but also very low plays, I should check them just in case probably.

#11335 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I bought a JP Premium and have played it a ton and man there are an astounding amount of different shots and the game is incredibly excited. That being said… still prefer my STH 10x’s over.

What do you prefer that pushes it that far over JP? If I didn’t pick up a Sth I would have probably ended up with JP, but I haven’t played it too much. Curious what makes one better than the other for home owners

#11339 2 years ago

Man, the TKO lock adjustment is so frustrating!! I adjusted it to the required width/height with calipers first time and it didn't work at all. Then I've been readjusting it, throwing balls up it till they seem to be consistent and locking the coil down.. testing and it seems to be working most of the time. Then I play a few games and by game 3 or so they never make it up anymore and 1/2 of them scream down the ramp to a drain and the other 1/2 don't make it, but do a post lock. It's like it keeps getting out of adjustment somehow.. I dunno.

It's such a cool effect when working but this is getting maddening.

A question as well -- I was adjusting projector images and it seems strange to me that the projector turns off during this. How are you supposed to line things up correctly if you can't see what your doing?! Is there some way to turn on the projector during the adjustments?

#11344 2 years ago

Interesting to hear that feedback on JP vs STh. Thanks all!

Quoted from joetechbob:

Make sure you have the updated ramp cover from Stern and a fan on both flipper coils.

Ramp cover is there, I need to print the flipper coil fan brackets and wire up the fans though. I'm talking like 10 minutes of play tops, just testing though. I wouldn't expect them to heat up in that amount of time enough to go work working fine to not at all?

#11348 2 years ago
Quoted from killborn:

Have you pulled your ramp out from the wall?

Yeah, pulled out and shimmed

#11394 2 years ago

Did a lot of tweaking this weekend -- I was convinced that my actuator arm had too much slop in it side-to-side, and I was able to get the ramp out enough to get access to the allen key head below to the piece of on the right that allows the arm horizontal movement but restricts vertical, and I tightened it down a bit. Then readjusted the ramp, pushed my shim in even farther behind it.. And now I get like 70% locks on the wall. Better than it was, and rejects tend to still lock rather than scream down the ramp. I need to video it in slow mo to determine what's going on I think. I'm certain my ramp is pulled forward of the wall, but it still seems to lose momentum on the transition, yet it's def not being pinched.

Anyway, I wanted to share that I followed suit and added the clear center targets and lit them from below with a blue LED strip and a custom bracket I 3d printed. Whoever did that a few pages back was right -- you can't capture it in a photo but it looks AWESOME. The flames on front, the glow below. It doesn't wash anything out from the projector imo, highly recommend it.

Thank you chuckwurt - I was able to get all the projector images tweaked with the coin door interlock in, didn't realize it was cutting all voltages.

Also, a note on the pinstadium UV/light kit that came with my game -- It works pretty good.. my first exp. with pinstadium which typically I've scoffed at. However, with out it - man the game art is pretty damn dark I realized. However they completely wash out the ramp projections. I blocked out the last 1' of lights on each side and it made a HUGE difference for those projections. Pinstadium should have put in the extra time to design these better for the game, you can hardly see the "jackpot lights" and other effects with them stock. I am ordering the UV kit from stern as well, and I think I will try a dual install as I don't think the pinstadium UV side quite lights up all the artwork like it should. It DOES light up the ramps in a nice blue glow though, which the UV kit won't do.

#11400 2 years ago

Yeah I wasn't understanding the ramp cover and how it would help -- but it's def. not slid to the far left, so I will try that. Love to get to at least 90%

Quoted from joetechbob:

Stern UV is a must have. Wouldn't bother with pinstadiums on STh.

yeah -- if this game hadn't already had them they aren't something I'd normally buy.. but given that we still don't know when the UV kits are going to ship, I'm happy to at least have UV for upside down for the time being.

#11403 2 years ago

If anyone else wants to try the clear drop mod -- I thru up the light bracket on thinguniverse. Simple but effective. Comet LED strip of your color choice + the GI tap from them. Grab 4 clear targets from Zitt s shop, and remember to paint the opto tabs on them opaque prior to installing. 2 ~25mm screws and you're good to go (verify that length prior to install, to ensure it doesn't penetrate topside of playfield).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4907170

BBBC6E30-045E-4569-8063-30F6EF7C0654 (resized).jpegBBBC6E30-045E-4569-8063-30F6EF7C0654 (resized).jpeg
#11414 2 years ago

Question - anyone know if you increase the mystery award difficulty what the increase means? Do you have to hit the unlit lanes twice, or?

#11421 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You tell us. . Not sure I’ve heard of anyone changing that setting yet.

I changed it but haven’t figured it out lol. I’ll do some testing . Just felt like mystery was coming up too much

#11423 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You tell us. . Not sure I’ve heard of anyone changing that setting yet.

Ok- I hadn’t focused on it before after I set it — it just looks weird when you’re used to normal lane change behavior. it locks the lane change down to right and left sides between the in/out lanes. So for example you can’t rotate an unlit right outlane all the way over to left inlane. It def. reduces the mystery awards.

1 week later
#11460 2 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Any advice for adjusting the scoop to fire through the inner orbit a little better?

Same issue.. it needs just a tiny more umph to make it around and so far I haven’t found the tweak to do it

2 weeks later
#11625 2 years ago
Quoted from matt68061:

The easiest way is to just run a speaker wire from the basebox speaker to the sub inputs. You can simply alligator clip on the positive and negative tabs on that speaker and run them into “speaker level inputs” on your sub.
EDIT…
I am also going to try to hook up 4 pins to a single sub with the Pinnovators kit. Eager to see how that works out. Seems to be highly recommended.

Soldered my Polk to STh sub leads, makes a huge difference.. love it with the cleland package.

1 week later
#11781 2 years ago

..yeah, seems like it would have been pretty easy to display those animated ramp graphics like you’re saying.. really too bad it didn’t get in there.

#11793 2 years ago

i have pinstadium as well and vs the one i played on location -- it's the same as for the upside down mode. BUT -- the EV effect /lighting was brighter wit the stern kit. However the pinstadium kit also illuminates the ramp edges on both sides to cool effect. The part that is different I believe are certain shots or moments when the stern kit will flash the UV for a second. I'm not sure when it happens.. but I remember it. Definitely does not happen with the pinstadium ones.

as for the projection mapping -- I also agree it's a great first effort. Jus saying, there IS quite a bit of blank time that could have even been that static image. I suspect they got what they could done to sell, and may have been planning a bit more in an update that didn't get done because of the low interest/sales. One can still hope for that update though... I get irritated when with the long lag to show the bonus on drains.

#11824 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Mine does that too. If you leave it the screen will turn back on. Takes a few minutes though.

It cuts the 12v? power to the projector.. it takes a moment to restart .. I’m assuming cool down/ heat up period?

Yes- and it’s an excellent one. It’s a diy mod tho.. grab the drops from Zitt and then a light strip and a bracket for it.

#11825 2 years ago

Duplicate

#11833 2 years ago

Oh haha I guess someone does offer it! Probably easier to just buy that but if you dyi I have an STL for the bracket I can share for 3D printing

#11861 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

So what do they look like when they pop up? The picture there ony has a picture of them down. How difficult ro install? Is it worth $55?

Here’s another shot. It’s hard to get a good picture - but it looks awesome in person. Pretty easy to install

CD5CD8F1-162B-4654-B4E3-6DE4E55FB3FF (resized).jpegCD5CD8F1-162B-4654-B4E3-6DE4E55FB3FF (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#12620 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

What do you mean by timing out modes?

I assume cradling the ball till the timer ends?

1 month later
#12806 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Me too. But I found a Pro kit and am using it for now.

Waitin on prem kit here since juneish? I think ..

#12816 2 years ago

Personally to me, the kit delay is what it is.. it’s not just stern, and even if it was if they had a choice right now between games going or kits - games make more sense. Crazy that some key component is delayed 5 months though.

1 blanket email from distributor and no replies to subsequent emails is more frustrating to me when the item is paid for.

3 weeks later
#13059 2 years ago

Couple small bug fixes, including the snowball dance one. Really the rest all seems to relate to insider connected. I really wish they would have addressed the ball end hang ups where it takes a while to queue the bonus count ups.

#13139 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Tilt amusements has 1 prem UV left

Why the hell are some distros seeming to get stock while people are waiting on orders from spring 2021 to materialize from other distros!?! Related — thanks for the heads up!! But I am also in confusion how a seller website in 2021 doesn’t seem to even have a search function to find the damn parts, at least via phone. Lost patience to go try the computer, although at this point I’m sure it’s already sold

3 weeks later
#13631 2 years ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:aw man my $30 little plastic sign snapped at the base the first time an airball hit it :/[quoted image]

ha! Same happened to me, it’s been sitting in a repair pile for 6 months. Maybe a better placement somewhere else

1 week later
#13867 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The license may have run out but it could always be renewed, with Stern never say never. They renewed IM’s license twice.
I’m getting a bit worried about the uv light kit I ordered. My distro still hasn’t gotten his shipment…if Stern isn’t going to run any more machines maybe they won’t be ordering more light kits either…that would be a major bummer.

Mine finally showed up from a July?ish order last year. I don’t know where you ordered from but it sounded like due to the supply issues some distros were getting kind of random shipments of stuff from stern from whatever they got manufactured that week or month.. I bet that stern at least makes enough kits to meet distros orders.. eventually

8 months later
#16378 1 year ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

yup. there's custom firmware for sure

Why? You’d just change the anchor location of the projected images slightly. No need for adjustments on the projector

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbecker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=mbecker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.