20240326_234550 (resized).jpg
20240326_234700 (resized).jpg
20240326_221810 (resized).jpg
Stranger Things Targets (resized).jpg
IMG_3169 (resized).jpeg
chamber (resized).jpg
StrangerThingsProjectorIssue (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago

I was ready to order an LE because I have been wanting a Stranger Things pin forever. I had to find out first who was the coder.. and found it to be Lonnie.

That is such a bummer. After KISS, then Aerosmith... it's very hard to trust the code will be anything worth playing over and over again. I'll have to wait this one out. Maybe it will be a turnaround for him, but his track record says otherwise.

Looking forward to feedback on it though.

1 week later
#132 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

My wife wants the premium too but it seems to me that the projector shows the same thing that is being displayed on the lcd. So I’m going with the pro, pray for me for angering the queen lol.

The projector does so much more than just the center "drive in movie" screen.

The projector also shows some cool effects and even a Countdown (or total count?) number on some standup targets. Also the WILL stand-ups are animated and change what they vs static stickers.

The ramps have animation, along with a banner type small screen area above the left ramp

The center projector screen will show video clips but also show progress without having to look up. Example the mode on this screen shot, likely the morse code mode and more.

The projector effects and screens have the ability to make a huge difference on this game... ONLY if the images themselves don't look too washed out and if it looks good in person. So much to the fact it will look drastically different than the Pro in my opinion.

Look at the second screenshot, and you'll also see the main screen is showing a video clip and the center screen shows the mode progress.

And as an added bonus, this lifting ramp that launches the ball in air then the magnet "grabs it" while it's flying will probably be such a cool feature to watch in person.

Screenshot_20200101_102921.jpgScreenshot_20200101_102921.jpg
Screenshot_20200101_103610.jpgScreenshot_20200101_103610.jpg
Screenshot_20200101_104322.jpgScreenshot_20200101_104322.jpg

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

I’m not saying all that stuff isn’t cool, but to me none of it enhances gameplay. I have a twd premium and love it, but the premium added the action button that changed the way I played the game. It doesn’t seem to me that STh doses that.

Sometimes its not about enhancing gameplay, but enhancing the visuals especially with a theme you really enjoy. Just adds to the immersion... And at the end of the day, it's not really much more money to get those upgrades which are first of their kind.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don’t see Stern shortchanging the projector coding
I think it’s gonna be epic. They have hired significantly more production talent the last few years to make it happen
The pro looks really good and plays fast but this is gonna be a premium Le game
I predict expectations will be exceeded

I agree 100% but we'll see

One thing is for sure, you Pro & Prem guys absolutely need to buy Invisiglass/glare-free HD glass because the game is so dark. If you've never see the difference yourself, it's massive. I can never have a machine without it. TWD is such a dark game, it made a massive improvement so I expect the same with this machine.

#174 4 years ago

I think the projector on the LE/Prem will look pretty good in a dark game room ...

But as for streaming, and why they have held off for now, it's likely because they play in well lit rooms so you can see them play on camera, which likely washes the shit out of the projected images.

When Deadflip streams it, I'm almost thinking they are going to do it in a very dark room this time.

I'll also say if you don't have a light controlled room where you are playing this, the LE/Prem projector may be a waste of money for you. I just don't see the effect working great (or even at all) in a room with ambient lighting.

I think it's going to look like this image quality in a lit room, maybe a little better. I think projector screen expectations need to be set for this so you aren't disappointed. I feel if people don't set this expectation now, and they start getting their Prem/LE setup, a ton of people will be on Pinside very unhappy because that had unrealistic expectations.

348s (resized).jpg348s (resized).jpg

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I'm thinking of picking up a pro as well. I think it would look excellent next to my Munsters which is constantly panned on here but I love. Almost 1400 plays on that and still play it every day.
One of the local watering holes got this pin two days ago and put a bunch of plays on it. The ramps and orbits shoot nicely but the Gorgon is an impossible shot. I have to imagine stern will either make a major code change to make that shot something worth shooting for or do some sort of hardware change to make it easier. I was there for hours and we only saw two shots go in and some of these guys are really good. When the payout is less than 1 mil that's not worth going for and most stopped. The modes are where it's at right now so I hope they do something to change that and make it something to shoot for as it's the main focus of the pin.

They should make it where you either hit it in 3X shots to complete it for say 15M (just as an example) but if you can get it in the hole it completes for 30M. Something to that effect

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

OMG!! I just ordered the pro model from game room guys!! I’m so excited. Will be here the 13th. Had to setup delayed shipping because I won’t be home till then. But it’s considered done deal!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!! My first NIB MACHINE!!!! Oh happy days! I love this game after only playing it a handful of times at my local barcade!! It’s super fun. I can’t wait. But I think my newlywed wife is going to kill me. This is bittersweet!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

Since you're a newlywed, your time is now to set the ground rules in the marriage, if not, you're gonna have a rough time later on LOL.. but really, congrats man, the wait for it to be delivered and when you first crack open the box is an awesome feeling !

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Who here saves their boxes once their machine is unpacked? Not sure if I should save mine or not. This will be my first NIB purchase.

I transported a dead body in one before. Size was perfect, and weight seemed correct. Even the FedEx freight person who picked it up didn't question it.

3 weeks later
#819 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

It’s not. New motor and driver board still not working. Finally broke down yesterday and called my distro. We walked through a bunch of stuff. Had me disconnect and reconnect a bunch of wiring connectors on some boards. That seems to help but after a couple hours of playing, went back to the same. So I have to call back on Monday. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

When you installed the new board and motor, did you have all mods disconnected and leave them disconnected?

#824 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

What is the real purpose of the white up post in the left ramp? It only holds the ball for a second, then releases it? I’ve heard these have been breaking. I’m putting mine on location, can this be disabled? Sorry if the question has been asked before

Well it gives the whole "Lock ball" the ... lock part of it

By not having that post, the ball is never locked at all. So that would be weird without it.

#831 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

It doesn’t work at all. Stays in the upright position. In test mode it fails. Does not move.

Any way you could take a video of this happening and post it? Might make it easier for us to give you some more suggestions

#836 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Do you want the video taken while it’s in test mode?

Yeah - even during play too if possible. There's gotta be a logical reason this thing isn't working !

#1019 4 years ago

So crazy, this pin has the least amount of spinning/moving parts of most Stern machines and each one people have issues with. The demo shot being inconsistent, the one way gate, and also the posts that randomly pop out.

Looking at the positive side, no mechanical issues with the flippers though. But then again, the power needs to be fine tuned on those as well in most cases.

But those Pop bumpers & slings though... on point.

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Game was definitely rushed for some reason - a pre-xmas deadline for some perceived marketing benefit.
No doubt future runs will be fine tuned. Guarantee the "delay" with the LE's shipping is due to ironing out the issues we've seen to date on the Pro's. Looking forward to see these unboxed and played.

No doubt. It seems the first run Pros are almost the "beta testing" stress-test machines as they know they will get more initial use especially for operators, then they get to react on problems before making the more expensive machines. Reminds me of the Slimer mechanism issue on GB and they redesigned a good portion of the mech for the later Pros, and all Prem and LE's.

#1066 4 years ago

Really looking forward to the LE reviews and pictures !

#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So dialed back the right flipper power to 240,230,220,210. No improvement. Still about the same success rate.
Mine is a rod with a flat guide welded to the outside of it that’s closest to the player. What I think is happening on mine is that the rod moves too close to the backboard wall and is pinching the ball as it tries to travel up the diverter slowing it down or completely rejecting it.
Here’s a video.

I saw part of your stream, nice job man!

The ramp issue does suck though, and it appears its a design flaw that was overlooked by Stern, which is unfortunate given it's only 1 of 2 unique upgrades/features of the LE and Premiums.

This exact issue was occuring on the Premium that Dead Flip streamed. They played it off as it was normal though. I hope there's a fix, but that's unacceptable if Stern left the design like this without resolving it prior to shipping.

#1171 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

My LE isn’t having issues with the lock currently so hopefully and unfortunately just a QC issue

Interesting, does the ramp work every time with no rejects?

#1215 4 years ago

This is awesome, a rubber band being used to correct a design problem in a $6-9K pinball machine.

#1219 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

You just cant help yourself, can you?

lol, its tough trust me

#1234 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

For those that might care this appears to be the projector used in the premium and le machines. Should be pretty simple to replace if it goes since it's off the shelf
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliexpress.com/item/32855408818.html
Wonder if the wireless projection a still turned on lol
https://fccid.io/2AF6A-S6000/User-Manual/User-manual-2974225

Damn, 854x480 resolution?

Your buddy comes over and says "damn dude, you paid $9 grand for that, I bet that thing probably has 4K"

Your response "nah, dawg. 1/2 K"

#1238 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Everyone here gets it. You are not impressed, this however is the owners thread, the shit talking thread is the other one. Take this crap over there.

Yeah, dude I have one on the way.

Settle down man, damn. Lighten up and take a joke

#1241 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Ah last I read you had canceled your order. I’m just burnt on people shit talking everything about everything. I feel like people shit talk more then actually playing anymore.

Yeah I agree dude. I'm just messing around though. It's just pinball and it's fun and if I was to talk crap on something I'd have a serious tone. Now if my left ramp keeps rejecting balls and that's the design itself I'm going to be pissed lol

2 weeks later
#2083 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Ok, here’s the sob story. I went all in on Stranger Things and more or less ordered an LE sight unseen. Stranger Things is a dream them for me and my previous Sterns I’ve waited until I’m happy with what I’m seeing. I only did the impulse buy before with Tron, another dream theme. Near enough did the same with Star Wars, but I still can’t get over that game. Anyhow, reports were starting to pour in of the projector. Completely washed out. Reports of “it looks better in person” was some of the paid commentary. It does NOT look better in person. What you see is what you get. This is my only beef I have with this game. I had other griefs about some shots being shitty and what not but as code keeps dropping all will be forgiven in the end. My game plays near perfect now.
This post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/85#post-5400822 speaks of a canvas type called Black Diamond. This YouTube video teaches you how to sell it in 2 seconds.

Seeing is believing, as my teaser post showed (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/38#post-5480839).
I was going to wait until someone came up with a kit you could simply buy, but this shit can’t wait, it looks awful! I sourced some of that Black Diamond (be creative, it’s easy to track down) and got some 3M adhesive sheets, a corner cutter and some supplies, like scalpels and knives. I cut out all the targets at first but it turns out that the BD material does not reflect at a certain angle and completely washes out the image. This also holds true to the viewing angle as well, it’s a little bit like an old TFT, but slightly better. So, I simply replaced all the flat surfaces on my game (it goes without saying, the ramps are not applicable). The material is very easy to work with and comes mounted on a .5mm plastic sheet of some sorts. It also seems very durable. I put some mylar on it just to see what it looked like but it did not work because mylar is glossy. Matte floor graphics vinyl is my next approach if the target surfaces wear down. I also replaced the left ramp billboard, it washes out in the angle towards the main billboard so be aware of that if you try this at home. Using alcohol on the projection surface is no problem either.
Does Black Diamond improve the visual quality? The brighter the room, the better it looks in comparison. The game emits a LOT of ambient light, I have my inserts turned down as much as I can and I also turn down the backglass to a minimum while playing. I’m happy with the results as the image does not have the white washed out image anymore and this time around it actually does look better in person, believe it or not!
I recorded in two different light settings, the first one is with the light I play my games in, ambient light is mostly from other machines. The other setting, a couple of minutes into the video, is with my shop lights on, which is insanely bright and no sane person would play pinball in that light, but it gives you an idea what Black Diamond is capable of.
Enjoy!

So awesome.

This is exactly why I brought this up in the other thread and questioned why Stern would use the material they did. They should have went with a grey material at the minimum and especially this stuff. Big difference.. had they gone with the right material from the beginning, they could have had it on the ramps and it would have looked better darker than the whited out ramps there now.

#2199 4 years ago

I hope that future machines will be better play tested before being released. Seems it's a 50/50 shot if you have a good demo shot on this game. It doesn't seem really like an assembly problem, but a complete oversight and play testing of the design prior to release.

It's literally the main center shot in the game and it's a flawed design. Sure, there's a fix now and that's cool. I'm sure Stern will have to reengineer something so it works great. But. How could this have not been caught before the general release? Do they even play these things before going into production? I don't see how this could have happened.

#2220 4 years ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Got our Premium set up and on the floor at The Arcade in Wichita. So far, I think it's badass.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is honestly the coolest thing I've ever seen someone do. Looks awesome !!

3 weeks later
#2798 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Brian told me video mode is definitely coming, but he didn’t seem too excited about the lock bar button. He seemed to have put it there because all their games have it now. He wasn’t opposed to using it for a specific purpose, but didn’t have anything in mind that that point.

It should be used for the video mode for sure.

It would be cool if you had to press the button as fast as you can, acting as you're channeling 11's powers and trying to lift something up and throw it- because she always struggles when using her powers. And you get a big bonus for doing it, and it gets harder and harder as you progress.

The button during gameplay could also be to use 11's powers, maybe you build up her Power meter and then can use it to defeat the demo dogs or the Demogorgan and it shows an animation of her slamming the demo against the wall. So then you can decide to build it up and use it later for more points as it's worth more damage points, or you can use it earlier on for smaller points and less damage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mount Washington, KY
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=kpg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.