IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14990 1 year ago

Hello Stranger Things folks! I recently joined the club with a ST Pro that was previously routed that I'm fixing up.

One question: Does anyone have a Stern Stranger Things key fob plastic they'd be willing to part with? I have factory W/B, Spooky, and Stern key fobs hanging from the coin door locks of all my machines in my gameroom, except for ST, as the goodie bag (where the key fobs would've been) was long gone, and not having a key fob on ST is bugging my OCD.

Thanks in advance.

#14997 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

My NIB pro didn’t come with it. Just decals.

Oh, that's interesting. I've got the decals, so maybe that's all there is. Might have to get creative with a key fob.

1 week later
#15166 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Goodness from Santa Cruz.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man, those Slime Balls are killer!

2 weeks later
#15270 1 year ago
Quoted from maxharvard:

Here's my first real pinball machine

Welcome to the club! Oh, and also, get ready! Pins tend to multiply (sometimes rapidly)

#15321 1 year ago

Hi gang. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I'm installing a set of "CLIP" plastic protectors on my ST Pro, and I have these two rectangular shaped protectors that I can't identify a location for.

Does anyone know where they go? Maybe they're Premium/LE specific?

Thanks in advance for any info..

20220703_062348 (resized).jpg20220703_062348 (resized).jpg
#15325 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Looks like it could be for the prem/LE backboard light panels but idk for sure

Yeah, probably for something like that I figured. Thanks Zach! I'll stuff them in the coinbox.

#15375 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Walking dead is the best Borg and it’s not close. Tunnel to arena, or CDC to Riot are some of the best combos ever.

I really like his 3 flipper games, but I think you just might be right here. Those combos in TWD are flat out awesome.

1 week later
#15472 1 year ago

Question: The stock lockdown bar action button is supposed to be clear correct? I'm the third owner of my STh Pro and mine is red, which I figure someone swapped with the clear.

20220716_064126 (resized).jpg20220716_064126 (resized).jpg
#15501 1 year ago

Here's my take (Cut to bottom line for quick TLDR summary): Rick and Morty was released at the exact same time as Stranger Things was released. I could only buy one, so I signed on for an R&M. I still wanted a Stranger Things though, and I like the ambiance of the Premium with the projector and I thought the TK ball lock and shaking demogorgon was cool, so I figured I'd grab a premium in 1.5 to 2 years, as Stern would surely make a popular license like Stranger Things for their typical 3 year production run right? NOOOOOOOOOO, they would not. For whatever reason.

When it came time for me to order that NIB Stranger Things Premium, Stern was pretty much done making them. I didn't know this, so I held on waiting for subsequent production runs, but all they made were Stranger Things Pros. So then I figured, I guess I'll just buy a Premium used, but I and everyone else who obviously thought the same thing were now in a competitive market for the scant amount of Premiums made, which drove up the prices of Premiums and then made LEs not seem like such a bad deal, and that seemingly made LE prices even higher.

So I was like "Screw It, I guess I'll sit this out. I don't want to pay these prices". Then a local Stranger Things Pro turned up for sale with a UV kit installed, and I was like "Screw it, I guess I'll buy a Pro to pass the time with and maybe get a Premium down the road".

That's how I ended up with a Pro. Is it fun? YES! Would I rather have a Premium? YES! However, due to this shortened Premium production run and my unwillingness to pay the current market value for a Premium, this is what it is.

TLDR summary: Having a Stranger Things Pro is better than having no Stranger Things at all.

#15622 1 year ago
Quoted from maxharvard:

Wow, that's incredible. Any advice for losers like me who can barely make it to the Iso1?

Yeah, LOL.. I didn't even know this "Snow Ball" existed. I can come close to sniffing Isolation #2, but that's as good as I can do so far. Where does one encounter these Snow Ball video assets? It looks cool, especially on the Premium/LE with the mirror ball graphics on the playfield screen.

3 weeks later
#15847 1 year ago
Quoted from Carls83:

Hey sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, I am new and just looking for any ideas. Not sure if any of you have experienced the denting on the playfield from the demagorgan ramp but if you have, has anyone come up with any ideas/solutions to try and cover it so it's not so obvious? May not be anything but wanted to throw it out there. Thanks

Some people install a playfield protector from this company: https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

Some disassembly and reassembly of the topside playfield components are required when you do this. I'm sure you can find posts with pictures and maybe videos on YouTube if you search playfield protectors.

#15851 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Don’t put a playfield protector on. Trust me, you’ll thank me. They play like shit

Even though I suggested the playfield protector, I do agree with MaxAMillion on this one. I had one on my AC/DC. I found it collected debris beneath it easy, so I was always lifting it to try to get the smallest of things out from under it, and one time I scratched it on the underside with my fingernail or something, and that scratch was very noticeable, so I just said F it, and cut the protector out with scissors. In addition to the housekeeping issues I mentioned, it did play weird to me.

I bought a previously routed Stranger Things Pro that had a whopping 26,000 plays on it, and the playfield was pounded nicely flat, with really consistent nice orange peel patina over the whole thing, and all of the inserts survived with no ghosting other than some minimal ghosting around a few inserts that never strayed past the black key lines and appeared to be stable. So with enough plays, the dimpling really does even out nicely, it just takes a while. That being said, there are a few playfields that seem softer than others from the get go, but evidently the Stranger Things Pro I bought had a pretty good quality playfield in it. With the amount air balls this game gets, I reasoned it was probably a good idea to buy a well used example to verify playfield quality and not have to worry about me putting dimples in it and leave it to someone else (in my case a few thousand paying customers, LOL).

#15855 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

26K plays.. Damn that seems like a ton. The owner def came out financially ahead on that one. Wonder what type of location(s) it was in

I think it was a pinbar type place somewhere in Ohio. I'm the third owner. The first owner was the operator. I could probably find out specific info from the second owner. I was just amazed it was in the condition it was in when I looked at it, and was happy to see the playfield in good shape, dimpled flat (including no raised inserts), and not trashed. I thought to myself "I don't have to worry about dimples at all with this one", not that I worry about dimples anymore, but you know what I mean. I could just tell that my meager home usage will have no impact on wear and tear after it survived its tour of duty.

1 week later
#15949 1 year ago

I found Barb! Unfortunately, she was a little under the weather.

Screenshot_20220825-193204_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220825-193204_Chrome (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#16117 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

I’ve always played the game with cleland sound and never played it without the custom code. I’m thinking of updating to latest code but need to remove cleland. Anyone happy with stock code or you think I should just wait for cleland support

I equipped my STh Pro with I/C as I like trying for the goals/achievements of all the Spike 2 games. My game was previously equipped with Cleland's sound mod. Cleland's sound mod does certainly add lots of ambiance to the game. Without it, I gotta admit that it has less personality and seems colder. I've been having fun with the I/C features though, so it hasn't bothered me that much yet, but in a perfect world, I'd love to have Cleland's sound mod back.

2 weeks later
#16353 1 year ago

Stern burning through their supply of projectors and not wanting to group purchase an additional $100,000 worth, probably explains the production stoppage/shortage on Premiums and the early retirement of Stranger Things in general. It's also one reason I have a Pro. I just didn't like the idea of a ticking time bomb projector in my machine, and no "current" option for a replacement. I had a feeling the projectors in these things are gonna end up like the holograms in Creatures of the Black Lagoons. Almost all dead after several years. With Creech, people provided a few different options after what seemed like a long wait. Maybe the same will happen with this projector, and maybe it'll happen quicker than the Creech hologram solutions, but then again, maybe not.

3 weeks later
#16529 1 year ago

Does anyone have an extra one of these ball gate assemblies under and to the left of the demigorgon? Or know where to source one? I can't find one anywhere. It's Stern part no 511-2968-00.

Evidently the operator who had my Stranger Things Pro had issues with it and discarded it. I thought I'd ask before I custom design something. Even if you have a broken or bent out of shape extra, I'd be interested in it.

5a418e4aa269183367d521585bf8d79b290d6060 (resized).jpg5a418e4aa269183367d521585bf8d79b290d6060 (resized).jpg
#16531 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd drop Terry at pinball life an email and see if he can order it from Stern for you. I know they were giving these away under warranty when it first came out because a ton of them broke and came partway off, blocking the demigorgon exit.

Thanks! I'll try Terry tomorrow.

#16541 1 year ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

any luck? Mine is bent

Terry is inquiring with Stern, but warned me that it may take a while as Stern is slow and their parts sales cage is pretty disorganized. So, that's not entirely encouraging, but probably explains why it's such a pain or impossible to get spare parts from Stern these days.

If you need one, it might be a good idea to email Terry, and tell him you talked with Jeff Rumsey (me) about possibly getting one through Terry at Pinball Life, and to have him put you on the list, should Stern find a stash of them in that part sales cage.

In the meantime, I'll start customizing some existing gates I have and/or I'll try to design and fab something up in the machine shop where I work.

#16542 1 year ago

dupe post

#16615 1 year ago
Quoted from rawbars:

Hey y’all my Stranger Things pro left down post started acting up. I know there are 2 optos under that left ramp that trigger it. I need the receiver side which I think is part # 520-8116-00rx. It’s sold out at Pinball Life and Marco. Anybody know other parts places that might have it?

I accidentally broke that little opto off and managed to solder it back on. It can be done with the sharp edge of a pointed soldering iron tip or the sharp edge of a chisel tip. It's scary, but doable. I soldered mine back on as I figured I'd find no replacement.

1 month later
#16888 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

Why is everyone selling their LEs? All of a sudden 4 of them up for sale.

I figure they've probably had their fun with them for the past couple of years and are trying to cash out at max market value, which they might've missed at this point, but they're probably not too far off on the downward slide.

#16944 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Has anyone changed the two rubber posts on each side of the institute? Looks like a pain to get it lifted enough to swap out.

I did, during a full playfield tear down. I swapped in a couple of purple Cliffy post sleeves which are much more durable. You pretty much have to tear everything down to replace them. It's not fun. If someone has a shortcut, that would be great, but I think you'd need some interdimensional technology that doesn't exist yet.

1 week later
#17012 1 year ago
Quoted from Pot8er:

Has anyone seen a decal/sticker set for the pro available anywhere? I can find them for the premiums but not pro’s. Looking in the US.

No. I looked for a pro decal set back in June of 22 and came up empty everywhere. I put in an order for those decals, ramps, and some other stuff from my distributor back then, and it's been no news so far. Clearly Stern doesn't support its most recently released games partwise worth a shit, and Stranger Things is no exception.

The sad part is they might actually have the parts in their parts crib, but I've heard from someone in the know that their parts crib is so disorganized, they probably wouldn't know if they did, and they really don't seem to want to be bothered to dig through it all. Hopefully they remedy this issue.

1 month later
#17214 1 year ago
Quoted from Ive:

Being lazy here and haven’t trawled through the whole thread ……
Is changing the post rubbers either side if the drops straightforward ? Any tips or is it pretty obvious . Looks like some dismantling required.

Quite a bit of dismantling is required to get to those post sleeves. I just started removing things, making a list on a piece of paper of the order I removed things, then when I finally got to the posts (after removing most of the playfield components), I replaced them with long wearing Cliffy post sleeves, as I didn't want to do that all again for a long time, if ever. Also, while I had everything off of the playfield to get to that point, I put a complete set of plastic protectors on. I then reassembled things in the opposite order that I took things apart.

#17260 1 year ago

After owning my Stranger Things Pro for 9 months, I finally got to Send It Back and finished that mode, and almost got to Light The Fire for the first time. So close. Beat my prior best combo champ score of 99 while I was at it. This game freaking rocks.

20230221_195844 (resized).jpg20230221_195844 (resized).jpg20230221_195847 (resized).jpg20230221_195847 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#17362 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’m not normally a mod guy because generally I find 3D printed mods look tacky for the most part
In saying this I’m feeling my Premium looks a little bare
What would the group recommend that looks good but not cheap and nasty?

Have you seen Medisinyl Mods laboratory set of mods? That's the obvious answer. It completely changes the character of the playfield into what it should have looked like all along.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed

#17381 1 year ago

A friend obtained a Stranger Things Pro last year with low plays, and when I went to look at it, one of the orange mode inserts (Where's Barb) had sunk all the way to the bottom of the routed pocket, so watch out if you think you have sinking inserts.

You might have to go below the playfield, remove the light boards, heat the insert up to soften any remaining glue (or maybe not as there seems to be a lack of glue), then use a flat topped wooden dowel or some other object, to push the insert level. A lot of time when I do this I clamp a flat metal block to the playfield with a long reach "C" clamp that I bought just for playfield repair use to ensure I can't over push the insert past the playfield surface. After I get the inserts back to where they're supposed to be, I lock them in place with a syringe filled with water thin super glue. This method has worked for me, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Please do report this to Stern if you can. I don't know what they're using for glue over the past few years, or what problems they may have adequately applying the correct amount of glue required, but I do see inserts sinking, raising, and on one occasion - just lifting and completely falling out, way more than I'd like to see.

#17382 1 year ago

Edit: Be aware that I do have a friend who is the utmost knowledgeable person when it comes to pin repair, who says that if your insert completely pops out, you should never use super glue to secure it (as it is inflexible and may crack, and also can deteriorate inserts, and if you get it on top of the playfield it's problematic to nearly impossible to get off) and he dictates that you should use Goop instead. Goop is more flexible, gap filling, and if you get it on top of the playfield it just rubs off. Also, to resort to not damaging your playfield, leveling by hand is recommended with something like a small granite block block from an old countertop instead of clamping an object to the top of the playfield, where if you over clamp, you could cause a whole 'nother problem.

#17419 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I still haven’t played that mode
Adult content is on too lol

It's really rare that it ever starts on my Pro. It almost seems like a code bug that it's so rare. Adult content is on.

#17422 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If it’s on comp mode, you get it as the 4th award.

Hmmm.. did not know that. Thanks for the tips!

5 months later
#17957 7 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Keep in mind you don't have to restrict yourself to a pro kit if you have a pro (originally the pro and premium uv kits were the same price so pro owners got a free upgrade to a metal apron!). Not sure that's any easier to find though.

True indeed, I have a Premium kit in my Pro, and I added LEDs behind the graphic windows in the metal apron, which makes for a nice look. But as you said, at this point, not sure it's easier to find.

2 weeks later
#17996 6 months ago

I'm tempted to pick up a Premium, but I've already got a Pro, and I've got the thing dialed in and I absolutely love the way it plays, so I guess I'll just sit on the sidelines, maybe pick up something different.

Congrats to all the new people joining the club, I love the modes on STh, it's surprised me and grew to be one of my favorite pins (or "tables", for you table people out there).

#18162 6 months ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Not worth the extra cheese in my opinion.
Projector and fancy ball lock.

And a jumpy Demogorgon too.

#18169 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Hi guys, what's the easiest way to replace the rubber posts left and right of the drop targets?
Does anyone know whats the part number of these rubbers? Because it seems that they aren't mentioned in the manual.

Unfortunately, in my experience, there is no easy way to replace those post sleeves. I had to disassemble almost everything around the Demogorgon to get down to the base level of the playfield to get at those posts. After going through all that work, I replaced the post sleeves with purple Cliffy sleeves, as those things have pretty much lasted forever for me on all my machines, clean up easy, and look good in the colors offered.

1 month later
#18919 4 months ago

Hello fellow Pinsiders, I've got an older Stranger Things Pro, but I would assume this issue applies to all models. I've had this Pro for more than 1.5 years, and I've been loving the game and I've been meticulous about it's leveling from side to side and front to back, and I've been really happy with the way it plays.

However, with the newly introduced "Demogorgon Challenge" mode, an annoying issue had popped up, and it's especially annoying at parties when I'm having guests over and we're playing a multi-player Challenge mode: I find that almost every player will have at least 1 or 2 balls will roll under the Demogorgon ramp (which stays down 100% of the time during this Challenge mode), and those balls will perfectly perch themselves on the tiny gap between the front of the downed drop targets and the drop target cutout, and they'll just sit there for the entire mode. Then when the mode is over and the ramp goes up, they just stay there. A quick forward jolt to the cabinet frees them for the next player so they can begin their round.

Does anyone else have this same issue? I raised the level of the drop targets when they're down all the way up yesterday, until there's no more adjustment left in the drop target leveling screws, and that didn't solve it. I then raised the rear of the machine by rotating the rear leveling feet 2 full turns. That didn't seem to help either. I really don't want to unlevel the machine side to side by the amount I think it would take to get the balls rolling sideways off their perch, as I think that would negatively affect gameplay.

I guess one answer is to not play this challenge mode, LOL... but visitors to my game room love it, and it's a fast fun challenge for groups of people. Another answer is to play better and not knock any balls under there, and a third solution may be to live with it. Just wondering what folks are seeing.

Thanks in advance.

#18954 4 months ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

haha, yeah I have that happen too. That area could have used a plastic cover

I made a clear plastic cover for that area on mine. I got tired of that happening quite often.

#19110 4 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I’d like to know if the playfield dimpling problem is fixed on the newer run. My Premium from late in the last run is full of dimples in only 100 plays

After 26,000+ plays my original run Pro has a nice even orange peel to the entire playfield surface, so it does even out the more you play it, so play away!

And yes, it was previously routed, I've put less than 1,000 plays on it. A local guy had it for sale and I saw it, and I was surprised that the playfield on it held up awesomely for 26,000 plays, so I bought it figuring that at this point the playfield was pretty much indestructible in my gameroom. Everyone's mileage may vary of course.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rum-Z.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=Rum-Z and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.