Stranger Things Ramp Issue (resized).jpg
ST (resized).jpeg
IMG_3102 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3101 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3100 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3098 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-071752 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Midway-Man.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6415 3 years ago

Hey Guys, I recently joined the club. With a NIB Pro. It was my 2nd NIB purchase. My first one was GB 3 years ago. Still have it, still love it
Around 6 month ago I started looking for another NIB. It took a while to figure out what game is the best for me, since themes don't do much for me.
I played all of the recent titles and Stranger Things gave me the best feeling. So I pulled the trigger on it. I went with the Pro since the Premium lock mechanism is frustrating as hell also I didn't care for the projector. The good thing with Stranger Things is, the Pro playfield isn't missing anything major compared to Premium/LE so there is no mini playfield or a ramp which changes the game. So all models basically play the same.
I am still happy with the game and have no regrets. The music is nice, so are the video animations. I just finished season 2 of the series. So I finally know, what is going an in the game

Just a few questions.
Is it possible to disable the annoying interlock switch?
Is anyone having issues with the ball jumping over the opto at the right ramp, so it doesn't register a "hard" shot? Also sometimes the ball jumps ofer the left ramp up-post?!
Also sometimes after completing a mode most of the inserts stay dark? I bet its a software issue.
I unboxed the game Nov.12 it was made Dec.6 2019 so I got some old stock. Well I am actually happy about it , so the playfield is nice and dry. But is there anything I have to look at, since I guess it's one of the first games off the line. It came with version .61

Maximilian

IMG_8317 (resized).jpgIMG_8317 (resized).jpgIMG_8418 (resized).jpgIMG_8418 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6593 3 years ago

Anyone can send me Lonnie Ropp’s business mail address? Thanks already

1 week later
#6714 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Bummed a touch
Hit the Demo and ball got lost ...
Did some digging
My 1 way gate broke today
535-2319-00
I cannot locate a replacement
Any one know a source
[quoted image]

You will be able to get it back in, if the gate didn't break.
I bet it just popped out. The same thing happened on my game as well. I put it back in and did bend the gate a bit more, so it has more tension.

Funny thing, just a few games later the entire thing slid down the playfield. Both thread screws came loose. The factory didn't use loctite on them...

#6812 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

On another note I'm still diagnosing the issues with the center lane opto with Stern. They had me swap node 8 and node 9 boards under the play field but there has been no change to the situation. Right after the swap I had clean shots under the demogorgon be ignored while it was ready to start the demogorgon mode. Then tonight I counted 8 times I noticed a double register of the word completion. Even once had mystery go off when there were no balls anywhere near the mystery shot. That was an odd one.
While testing tonight I had a pretty good game just doing demogorgon modes though. Managed to complete all of them with a total score of 600 million just in demogorgon modes and I really did not take advantage of the last two modes. Really fumbled the multiballs and didn't manage many shots on the demogorgon.
Its the strangest situation with my machine. Only thing I can think of at this point is that the starting of the demogorgon isn't triggered by the center lane opto since I've replaced that twice now and swapped the node boards. Really odd.
Video of the issues I am seeing regularly. Honestly, with how many components have been replaced on my machine at this point I am so surprised no one else is having the issue

Hi I would like to comment on your issues.

First of all I have the exact same issues with the center lane. I have spend some time diagnosing the issues myself. It's funny that Stern can't determine this simple issue. Also you had to change some PCBs hahaha that was totally unnecessary... Anyway...
The solution for the problems is a combination of weird/unexpected ball behavior and software.
I have created a bug list for 1.00 software. Where I did include some tweaks needed to solve this issues.

The first of "our" issue is "spelling multiple words" with just one shot. Here is what I wrote in my bug report to Stern.
4. Increase debounce time for „center lane opto“. Sometimes if you shot very fast into the lane underneath the Demogorgon, the ball can get a weird spin and starts to roll back and forth and triggers the opto multiple times. Before finally rolling to the left down post. This means multiple words get spelled by accident.

If you watch your video again and take a look the marked area in the attached picture. You can see the ball hasn't left the center area. Since it had a spin and rolled back and forth at the opto. Which caused to count the shot multiple times.
This needs to be fixed with software to ignore the opto for a short period of time after one hit.

The next of "our" issues is starting the demodog mode with the same shot as the center lane shot. Again here is what I wrote to Stern.
5. Ignore the „Left lane target“ for a short amount of time after the „center lane opto“ has been triggered. Sometimes if you shot very fast into the lane underneath the Demogorgon, the ball starts to bounce weird and can hit the target. Which will then falsely award Mystery… Extraball… Demodog-Battle etc…

The ball will hit the stand-up target in the "mystery-lane" which is usually only meant to be hit via a direct shot. Not via a bad bounce coming from the center lane exit.
Also this can be fixed via software.

Your next issue is "advancing the left ramp with the Demogorgon shot"
I did not specify this issue in my writing to Stern. Since this issue is basically the same issue as the previous issue. The ball will accidentally hit the mystery lane stand-up target. This stand-up target will advance any Bicycle, Walkie, Binoculars or Slingshot shots. ONLY when neither Mystery, Extraball or Demodog-Battle is lit at the "Mystery lane"
Software fix hopefully coming... Lonnie listen!!!

"Our" next issue is the double firing of the down-post. Guess what... I also submitted that to Stern.
6. Increase debounce time for „left down post lock 1 opto“. Sometimes if you shot very fast into the lane underneath the Demogorgon or the left „mystery“ lane, the ball will hit the down post hard, which causes the ball to bounce back, before it finally rests at the down post. This will sometimes confuse the game and it will release the ball without properly showing the Demogorgon start animation or without properly awarding Mystery, Extraball or Demodog battle.

The last issue which you didn't speak about. I also don't know if you encountered this issue.
When you shoot really hard into the center lane. The ball goes soooo... fast it only triggers the opto very short. My game sometimes doesn't even recognise it. But I think this is because of the nodeboard not being fast enough to notice. A fix would be to get the game dirtier and the flippers get weaker :DDD

Anyway, you are not the only one with these issues. I have nailed them down to software weakness. Stern needs to address their Software. Unfortunately I didn't get any reply by Lonnie regarding my software concerns...
If you are still diagnosing these issues with Stern, feel free to send them my reply. So the chance is higher to actually get some attention and software fixes.
Also let me know what their response is.
I am still surprised that they were unable to nail it down Do you still have the "old" nodeboards? I would be happy to get some fully working spare boards

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-12 um 22.23.33 (resized).pngBildschirmfoto 2020-12-12 um 22.23.33 (resized).png
#6830 3 years ago

I've sent this on to Pablo as well. I've seen the issue with the under demo shot not registering at all. It's the one in my write up and video where a shot up the middle advances a mode. I don't think in this case it's hitting the mystery target. I believe the up post optos are also used to trigger mystery not just the target.
I have to believe my machine is not just experiencing unexpected ball behaviors though. I see these issues almost every single game I play and I've not waxed my machine in months

Sounds good, now we have to wait and see what Stern will do with their Software development...
Yeah the optos will trigger mystery as well. But they will be ignored after the center lane has been hit. However the target still can start mystery after a center lane shot. Also I definitely watched the ball triggering the target after the center shot. So it definitely does get bad bounces not very often thought...
When was your machine build? Mine is an early built Dec.6 2019. Maybe they did make some changes to some alignments to the gates and rails in later productions?...

#6836 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Anyone feeling a sense of lag on v1.0 of code? Hits and animations not keeping up. Especially when modes are stacked and in MB. I love the game and this new code overall, but I feel like the little CPU in the backbox isn't keeping up as well as it did in prior releases.

Yeah I have the same feeling. It struggles to keep up with the players progress. This is especially noticeable when upside down starts.
I also featured this as a bug/tweak in my list I did send to Stern.

25. Upside-down does start too late.
-If Upside-down has been started with a shot which finished a capture mode. The game does start Upside-down is the background, also the timers for Upside-down start running. However the game won’t show you the shots needed for Upside-down also the display doesn’t show any Upside-down information until the game has showed the mode total screen.

EDIT: I have a Pro, but there shouldn't be any performance differences between Pro, Premium and Limited Editions...

#6849 3 years ago
Quoted from Break8ers:

Lag in new code is real...just like some demo shots not registering and mystery shots starting demo or not registering, etc. I guess it is called Stranger Things for a reason!

Yeah, besides Upside Down starting late sometimes. I just noticed another slow/laggy behavior. When the player collects multiple drawings at once during TK Multiball... The game will literally take ages to award(Mystery add-a-ball) because it is showing each individual "drawing collected" animation before finally adding balls.
So under certain circumstances, you can play single ball for a long time(20-30 secs) until all animations were shown and finally add-a-ball kicks in o.O

Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you guys can repeat these instances and can explain them, please send reports here:
[email protected]
It’s the only way they will be seen by stern.

Is it normal to not get any reply? I was thinking at least some bot would reply. To let you know everything got submitted.
I have send them 60 Ghostbusters and 41 Stranger Things related bugs/tweaks, but never heard back from them. I wonder if it got rejected?!

1 week later
#6961 3 years ago

I played for a while last night and all of the issues I was seeing are still happening. Still getting the double pops on the up post, still getting word completions and demo starts, still getting missed demogorgon shots.
It's a great update though. I feel like the high score screens are even scrolling more smoothly now. The new bonuses are really bonuses now which is great.

I still have the issues as well. It's unfortunate, so we have to hope for another update.

The update introduced some great changes

2 weeks later
#7210 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

It seems like it can't be code or all pros would have the same issues, and they do not. Sucks he's having issues, but I do not see how it could be code related.

These definitely are code issues. I have the same issues as C0untDeM0net

I am trying to make a video once I have time.

#7223 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

For the topper, I'm guessing either (1) a standard plastic backdrop with a UV-enabled lightshow corresponding with the Upsidedown or (2) Joyce's Christmas lights that will spell messages.
I just hope it's not a zillion dollars or something.

I actually would like to see a Joyce's Christmas light topper. I hope it's not 1k $ but I am positive it will be :/

1 week later
#7476 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

So this is weird. My left kickout LED stays a dim red when not in use. Works just fine in all cases but slightly annoying. Any suggestions? Did an LED test and functions fine. Just stays dim when not in use.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Break8ers:

I have the same issue on with a couple of the inserts---you can try a new SD card the Stern ones are garbage. That is one thing you could try. Could be a board issue also. I am going to try the SD card first. It really does not bother me though.

If the inserts lights up immediately after you hit the power switch. This is most likely a board issue. My friends TMNT had some issues, he got replacement PCBs this fixed the issues for him.

2 weeks later
#7672 3 years ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

My ST had a playfield protector for almost a year. Removed it 2 months ago and now the chipping. Can't believe that such wear is normal.
Curious what Stern will say, anyhow will order some mylar.

That's the reason all my Stern games have a protector installed. Why would someone remove it...

2 months later
#9884 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Has anyone noticed sounds from other pins? The Upside Down award sounds are definitely from Iron Man, and I think I even heard some Wheel of Fortune sounds at one point.

I noticed some GOTG sounds yes. Maybe some lazy Lonnie code leftovers?

#10001 2 years ago

I have had three new in box machines in the last 2 years and none of them came with the slingshot plastics. Key fobs and target stickers is all that I got

I bought two NIB games. My GB came with a spare set of slingshot plastics, also with a neat little Ghostbusters stand-up sign.
Well NST came with just some spare target decals

3 weeks later
#10690 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Eddy confirmed the final showdown bug. Appears there are multiple. Said if they get time for another update they will fix it.

It would be much appreciated to get another update. I made a huge list of bugs/tweaks for the game. It has around 60 entries. I wonder is they every make another update to at least fix some of them.

Quoted from MrMikeman:

"if the get time"???
WTF.
Final mode not working right is pretty big IMHO.
"Sorry your car can't shift into overdrive, it's a software bug. If we have the time we'll fix it".

Yeah, imagine sweating the entire time. To get to the finale, just to find out the game crashes or some other bugs happen…
It would be fixed. Not ASAP but in the near future.
For example GB also has the chance of a game breaking bug appearing in the wizard mode.

Quoted from paul_8788:

When I worked I fixed bugs for software that we didn't sell anymore all the time. Customers were still using it, they paid for it, so we supported it. Pretty simple.

Great That’s how it should be done.
I mean they don’t need to support titles forever. Since they eventually need to move on and develop other projects which earn „new“ money.
But they should at least support it like 5 years. Until they call it „discontinued“

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Midway-Man.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=Midway-Man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.