20240328_091907 (resized).jpg
20240328_091912 (resized).jpg
20240326_130903 (resized).jpg
20240327_085933 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240327_090153_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240326_234550 (resized).jpg
20240326_234700 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8088 3 years ago

Just got my game on Monday, so I'm not sure what discussion there has been about improving the projection quality (EDIT: Have now gone back to see it has been discussed plenty , but perhaps this will help someone anyway), but after experimenting with over 10 different materials, including various vinyls and actual theater screen materials, this Cricut silver proved to be the best of those (better options may exist): https://www.amazon.com/Cricut-Joy-Smart-Vinyl-Permanent/dp/B084LMT7LR/ref=sr_1_8 (Got mine at Michael's)

It enhances the black levels as well as the brightness/white levels and color vibrance.

Most darker materials (even other silver materials) would enhance the black levels, but generally muddy everything else (unless angled more toward the player, then that scenario produces a stellar image on Siser's Chalkboard black, but doesn't work on the flat factory surface).

Unfortunately, the ramps are too steep to get a better image than the white with my testing thus far, and while it makes the standup targets looks nicer, the insert reflects more significantly off it than the factory white (though the factory standup reflects some as well).

I have one more material to test before doing my swap, but don't have high hopes for it.

Test pics (the deeper black and brighter whites in the 'RUN!" text is a fairly clear indicator, as well as the more saturated colors):
20210221_175433 (resized).jpg20210221_175433 (resized).jpg20210221_175450 (resized).jpg20210221_175450 (resized).jpg20210221_175627 (resized).jpg20210221_175627 (resized).jpg20210221_175652 (resized).jpg20210221_175652 (resized).jpg

Added over 3 years ago:

No longer recommending the Cricut silver (too much shimmer when fully installed). Have more materials coming to test soon.

#8090 3 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Just got my game on Monday, so I'm not sure what discussion there has been about improving the projection quality, but after experimenting with over 10 different materials, including various vinyls and actual theater screen materials, I've discovered one that stands out far beyond the rest.
This material not only enhances the black levels, but also enhances the brightness/white levels and color vibrance for much better contrast.
Most darker materials (even other silver materials) would enhance the black levels, but generally muddy everything else (unless angled more toward the player, then that scenario produces a stellar image on Siser's Chalkboard black, but doesn't work on the flat factory surface).
Unfortunately, the ramps are too steep to get a better image than the white with my testing thus far, and while it makes the standup targets looks nicer, the insert reflects more significantly off it than the factory white (though the factory standup reflects some as well).
The silver I'm referring to can be found here: amazon.com link »
While I have side by side photos of some other materials, it didn't seem worth posting them as they don't come close (even a silver that otherwise looked nearly identical when viewed without the projection).
The image would further benefit from being slightly angled toward the player (I've considered 3D printing a test set, and if I ever do, the files would be free to download), but this is a good, simple option without any other changes.
I have one more material to test before doing my swap, but don't have high hopes for it.
Test pics (the deeper black and brighter whites in the 'RUN!" text is a fairly clear indicator, as well as the more saturated colors):
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Decided to throw one of the comparison photos into the mix (side edges of the silver on the previous photos are warped over the gaps...this shows a better side by side to the factory white). Silver to the right of the Cricut is the one that looked nearly identical until projected on...darker, muddier image in person despite better blacks. Light gray was a slight improvement, but the metallic content of the matte silver offers a darker material, with the added benefit of reflective "gain" to negate the negative effects on the whites and colors (in this case, without the harsher twinkling artifacts some high gain screens have).
20210219_210740 (resized).jpg20210219_210740 (resized).jpg

#8093 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

That’s a great improvement. I wonder if you can order a sample from Screen Innovations. They are leaders in screen fabrics for high ambient light.
I would be up for changing the main screen if it was a simple fix. I wouldn’t worry about the ramps.

I do have some home theater and custom projector screen experience, and would have loved to have tested SI's Black Diamond (too expensive, though I didn't see a sample advertised for sale [perhaps have to ask directly]), but my guess is that even the Black Diamond material will look muddy at the factory angle of the screen. Good viewing angles tend to diminish with the ambient light screens.

As noted, even that chalkboard black vinyl looked stellar (like Black Diamond in media I've seen) when viewed head on, but unacceptable from player perspective.

Of course a self-adhesive vinyl is a significant advantage in getting a properly flat surface and ease of application.

Added over 3 years ago:

Had some better results with one theater screen material thus far, and testing others soon. No longer recommending the Cricut silver (too much shimmer when fully installed).

#8132 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Given the discussion on reflective materials/angle issues on the previous page, I would to see the black diamond material compared to the cricut silver. I would especially like to see video from the player's perspective. I personally don't play while resting my head on the lockbar, which is the angle you have in your video.

If someone has any SI Black Diamond 1.4 to sell me that I could compare with (even just 2"x4" or so), I'd gladly test it against the Cricut silver and report here.

Most video and such I've seen of the Black Diamond has indeed been from an advantageous angle, and nothing I've seen of the Black Diamond has looked obviously better in video than what I've seen with the Cricut silver, but the Black Diamond could be promising, and I'm certainly curious to see them side by side in person.

Note: I have no intention to sell any screen mods for the game, nor have plans to develop any mods for Stranger Things.

Just sharing my findings for a cheap, DIY option, and interested in what others have experimented with.

Added over 3 years ago:

No longer recommending the Cricut silver (too much shimmer when fully installed). Have more materials coming to test soon.

#8196 3 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Just got my game on Monday, so I'm not sure what discussion there has been about improving the projection quality (EDIT: Have now gone back to see it has been discussed plenty , but perhaps this will help someone anyway), but after experimenting with over 10 different materials, including various vinyls and actual theater screen materials, this Cricut silver proved to be the best of those (better options may exist): amazon.com link » (Got mine at Michael's)
It enhances the black levels as well as the brightness/white levels and color vibrance.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Still hoping to find some SI Black Diamond to test.

Got good results with the Elite Screens Cinegray 5D I was able to test today, so I have fairly high hopes that the SI Black Diamond will prove to be a top option.

With the 5D, the black levels are better than the Cricut silver (slightly muddied brights, but better overall result [I think I saw someone note the Black Diamond is a bit too dark in some scenes, and I'm seeing a bit of that with the 5D, but infinitely better than stock]), though some scenes look better on the Cricut, yet I'm noticing more that some moments will show too much reflection shimmer with the Cricut (though still the best self adhesive option I've tested thus far at the factory screen angle).

For now I'm leaning toward the 5D with an angled screen mod (again, would be free to download if I go that route and find a positive enough result).

Likely use the Cricut in the short term as it's the easiest to apply and pull off with no adverse effect.

Added over 3 years ago:

EDIT: Ordered a sample of Elite's "premium" Darkstar 9 to experiment with.

#8210 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Ordered some samples from Prismatic.
Anyone do a bright blue or bright purple on legs/armor?[quoted image]

While the LE inherently has a purple tone, if it winds up a keeper, I'd consider red vein as an option.

The show's red theme intro and such lends me to associate that color with it, and the vein powdercoats tend to look and feel higher end to me.

cr-2ck (resized).jpgcr-2ck (resized).jpg

#8234 3 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

The LE's purple is pretty awesome in person. I like your blood vane idea but i think it would fit the theme better if it was meant to match the upside down.... in these colors maybe?[quoted image]

While I like purple, and the armor does look great on its own, I don't particularly like it on the game.

Right (mindflayer) side of the cabinet is prominently shown where I have it currently, and the red vein would match that side well I believe.

Would of course hold onto my purple armor as well if I went that route.

Something inspired by your photo color would look good on the Premium I think.

Could photoshop some things eventually.

#8236 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Ordered some samples from Prismatic.
Anyone do a bright blue or bright purple on legs/armor?[quoted image]

Roughly did a few of these (Illusion violet, Illusion blue-berg, and Illusion royal) in GIMP for you (may need to click the image for better quality).

stpt.jpgstpt.jpg

1 week later
#8571 3 years ago

Still experimenting with projector improvements.

Finally found a material that works very well on the ramps (already ordered more to do the whole machine). Darkstar 9 by Elite Screens.

Video clip shows both a piece on the ramp and moving one around on the main screen. Both show multiple angles. This material looks great at every angle (must be turned the proper way--spinning 90* will make it dark [an ambient light rejecting feature]).

EDIT: Added a pic of each side during MB.

20210310_155700 (resized).jpg20210310_155700 (resized).jpg20210310_155743 (resized).jpg20210310_155743 (resized).jpg

#8578 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Your video is private and can't be seen.

Just changed it to public. Was trying to avoid it being public as I won't be offering anything (thought having the link would let it be seen, but had never tried before). Just an idea for DIY. First material I've tried that really seems to do a magic trick here.

#8599 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Since you’re not selling it I don’t mind asking, how did you find just the screen material and how are you adhering it to the plastics/metal? I did a search and all I could find were $3000 retractable movie screens. Looks incredible by the way!

I've got a couple different kinds of double sided adhesive sheets coming in today that I'm going to give a shot. Provided it works out well, I'll make another update on where I'm at with it and what I did.

For the thin stand up targets, I'll likely use a firmly padded mounting tape for better application over the rivet, and hopefully longer life against wear.

Likely still be another week or so before I get the rest of the material.

Samples of Darkstar 9 are available for $16 each, buy they're rather small. I'll have 5 sheets total to mess with and will see what's necessary to do everything. https://shop.elitescreens.com/store/p127/Sample_Screen_Material.html

#8607 3 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Looks promising! How are you attaching the Darkstar to the ramps and main screen?

From post #8599:

Quoted from Medisinyl:

I've got a couple different kinds of double sided adhesive sheets coming in today that I'm going to give a shot. Provided it works out well, I'll make another update on where I'm at with it and what I did.
For the thin stand up targets, I'll likely use a firmly padded mounting tape for better application over the rivet, and hopefully longer life against wear.
Likely still be another week or so before I get the rest of the material.
Samples of Darkstar 9 are available for $16 each, buy they're rather small. I'll have 5 sheets total to mess with and will see what's necessary to do everything. https://shop.elitescreens.com/store/p127/Sample_Screen_Material.html

Unfortunately I just got a message from Elite Screens telling me they only have 1 more piece of the Darkstar 9 sample to send me (or perhaps they're intentionally limiting the amount), and that they'll refund the rest...frustrating, but I'll look for more elsewhere if possible. I'll only wind up with enough to do the main board and some of the small pieces (will need to find more for the ramps).

#8619 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Ah that sucks. Maybe you could use the other Darkstar product they have (not the 9) for the ramps and whatever is left? Either way thanks for the info.

Doesn't seem to even be an option to get that sample, though their description makes the DS 9 sound ideal with the larger viewing area. The Darkstar 9 can be moved at all sorts of angles to the player and still looks stellar, unlike any other material I've tried.

I'm fairly obsessive when it comes to this sort of trial and error (have tried about 20 materials), and the DS 9 is the only material that has worked on the ramps at all, and does so in incredible fashion, so hopefully I can get more. Going to see if having local friends order a piece each will work (if ES is just trying to limit samples of their flagship material to one).

2 weeks later
#9120 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just placed my vote in this thread for the LE.
It's amazing how evenly spread out the ownership is among the 3 versions among the people who voted.

Motivated me to update my vote. Had premium voted early on, but didn't end up getting one (first one I played had demogorgon issues and lots of left ramp rejects). Wound up with an LE after playing a properly working game.

1 week later
#9273 2 years ago

Finally got all of the Darkstar 9 material I needed and installed it everywhere it works.

Works amazingly well on the ramps (from what I had read and experienced, this wasn't the case for other materials).

I also made (in CAD for 3d printing) partial cones for the sling LEDs, which made a significant difference, and also a custom left billboard. I could make these freely available with instructions if others would want them.

Black levels on the drops and main board are nearly pitch black in person--looks more like a TV screen now.

Can see the factory white decals on the ramp sides and right billboard (too sharp of an angle for the screen material to work there).

I've since adjusted some of my projector settings to be better centered, but the video gives a great idea of what is possible. Again, I also made changes to the light levels and various masking of light toward the screen.

Will post more details if others are interested in the whole process.

20210406_234259 (resized).jpg20210406_234259 (resized).jpg

#9280 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I am very interested as I hate the image quality that was put in the stock game, the projector looks like crap and yours looks amazing.

It was making me feel nausea and I pretty much didn't touch the game until I got it to this point recently.

There's a lot in the projections that is completely missed/invisible with the factory material. Whole different experience now (truly amazing in person).

I'll post later on (may be tomorrow) with all the methods I used with links for the double sided tape sheets, screen material, etc. (about 5 sheets of Darkstar 9 samples is recommended). I could also upload my 3D files with instructions when back at my PC.

#9284 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think the real issue is going to be obtaining 5 sheets of Darkstar 9 samples. Especially if Pinsiders make a run on it.

Unfortunately this may be the case...

#9324 2 years ago

Many were asking about the screen material swap, so I made a thread here for those curious and/or willing to tackle it (includes links to materials used): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details

It is a bit tedious, but the result is awesome if done correctly.

Let me know what I may have left out, and feel free to ask questions in the thread.

I won't be selling anything, and the 3D parts I made are now free to download on Thingiverse (the bulb cones aren't plug and play, so perhaps read the instructions before proceeding). Links in the thread.

As this swap has turned the game from iffy into a keeper for me, I'll hope to find a proper way to mod it eventually (perhaps later this year).

3 weeks later
#10177 2 years ago

Also, what is happening with Sth LE selling for12k.
That is amazing - for LE owners wanting to sell -
Gonna hang on to this Premium I think!!

For sure. I feel lucky for getting my LE from a friend for $8k before the pricing went crazy (I would have been content with a Premium, but was soured on it early on [despite being a dream theme] by playing one with bad TK rejects and an impossible demo shot, but this one changed my mind). No intention to sell this year, if ever.

If it weren't for many games going up in value, I'd question if my post on what the projection quality can be like had any effect (over 1000 views on my video already).

11 months later
#14479 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Good golly I still love this game. Honestly, my favorite in my entire lineup.

Easily my favorite Stern, and perhaps favorite pin at the moment.

Will also be my next mod set. About 1/3 through the design currently, and it aims to be a cohesive world-under-glass set, rather than individual mods.

#14482 1 year ago
Quoted from RabanzZ28:

Sign me up on your list already!!!!!! Thanks

I appreciate your interest. As I'm not certain when I'll be ready, and many disappear from early lists, I may take groups similar to Gouveia, after reveal.

#14487 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Wow, I have your Elvira mods. Some of the best quality and mods in the business. Looking forward to what you are planning.
Can you provide any additional details on what and where your mod(s) will go on the game?

Thank you for the positive feedback Having been over two years since Elvira, I aim to have better quality here.

Keeping details mostly under wraps for now.

Will cover a chunk behind the front flashers, not blocking any inserts, desired visibility, or the projector path/surfaces (perhaps a bit on the far right strip that I've never noticed anything on anyway). Should fit both models, with slight variation for the Pro. Idea is something transformational, but not cramped.

#14521 1 year ago

Some were asking about the recent discontinuation of the DarkStar 9 product. I ordered the new StarBright 9 sample to help investigate, and it seems to confirm that it's just a name change, as DarkStar 9 showed up.

Thread for anyone that missed it before (must have upgrade IMO):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details

1 month later
#14811 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So what material is this? D9?
Regards

StarBright 9, but it's the same material as Darkstar 9--Elite updated the name.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details

#14822 1 year ago
Quoted from Gutterghoul:

I think most of us are saving up for when MEDISINYL drops the mod hes teased in here previously

I do hope the set lives up to expectations.

Essentially complete as of yesterday, with just a last revision or two left on some pieces.

Some has already been in production.

I'm not sure when the actual reveal will be, and I hope to have a chunk ready by then, but I may post an obscured teaser by next week that doesn't fully show it.

I'm always nervous about a new release, and felt the pressure to follow up AMH, but I'm happy with the result, and I hope it's well received.

1 week later
#14906 1 year ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Any sneak peak you can already show us.
Very interested with what you come up.

Still working on final details and paint colors. There will be some differences from what's shown here.

I'll wait for the full reveal to show things like the detailed deprivation tank (replaces the back left flasher, connecting with a factory style plug--triggers both the tank and the laser that's mostly obscured behind it).

Ultimately all based on the room of the lab where Eleven opens the gate.

EDIT: No list being taken until the set is fully revealed.

#14909 1 year ago
Quoted from Gutterghoul:

Seriously though, everything sounds so cool, especially the interactive tank. And that last shot is goooorgeous!!! Cant wait till you start accepting spots!!

I'm glad you dig it thus far Thank you for the feedback.

And correct, no list until it's fully revealed. There will be some notice before then, and a separate thread made.

#14921 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Do we get a 40th version on this one?

Remind me in 2056

Quoted from Purdue:

Yup, not missing on this!
Can't wait to see more!
-Would be interested to hear the differences between pro and prem/le kits. Guessing the TK lock area. Reason being, I have a pro, but hope to find an LE one day!

On the premium, the power box (inspired by the tall double server rack to the left of the gate in the show) is finished in appearance on the left side with the metal opto cover, so on the Pro, I'll need to have an additional panel to fill it out, and also a different way to have the left side stabilized.

Quoted from Utesichiban:

This looks really cool. Your Elvira mods are the best I have on any of my games. Do you know yet if you are going to sell as a package or individually? I may be interested in the whole bundle but will look forward to the full reveal.

As this set was designed from the start as a cohesive package, individual pieces wouldn't make as much sense, and even the left side is a long assembly of connected parts rather than the deprivation tank on its own.

----------------------------

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. It's always appreciated, and I look forward to when the set can be experienced in other games

1 week later
#15094 1 year ago

For those that were wanting a way to keep updated on the mod set before it goes live, I started a thread here that I'll update as I know more: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed

3 weeks later
#15290 1 year ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

I have an opportunity to join the club with a pretty loaded Premium…but I’d have to give up GZ prem and a few hundred on top. Do I do it??

As Zora notes, there was a bit of a perfect storm with Stranger Things that should keep the value strong for Prem/LE models--I'd estimate that there's only a little over 1000 STh Premium and LE machines combined (500 LEs and little over 500 Premiums), so a number similar to just the GZ LE model for perspective.

It may be the only production game that will ever have such projection mapping, which is incredible with the screen upgrade (washed out and underwhelming in stock form).

Between the projection and UV feature with hidden artwork, it's a very unique game with some added degree of museum/collector curiosity.

Most importantly, the game is amazing. Best Stern IMO, and I'd place Godzilla beneath many (though it's also a great game). I don't miss Godzilla, and couldn't imagine ever selling Stranger Things.

#15296 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Stranger Things is good but it is certainly not the best Stern game ever. I would say it is unrated though but better than Godzilla.... Nah...

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Godzilla is definitely the better game, especially the more competitive or skilled you are. There’s just so much more strategy.
But get what you like and you can always sell it later.

dumb-and-dumber.gifdumb-and-dumber.gif
#15298 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Can’t wait to see these mods btw. Is today the release date?

Yes, the reveal will be up on the SDTM Youtube channel by 8 or earlier, and the list opens in the mod thread at ~8:30 EDT.

#15357 1 year ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

rush is a dog imho, just a bad bad game with bad art about a bad band
ymmv

While I definitely prefer how Stranger Things shoots, Rush is a good game.

My buddy and I talked to Borg about Rush for about a half hour while at TPF (an incredibly nice person), and despite the similarity to X-Men, it was apparent John was very passionate about the theme and creating the best possible game for it. The interaction completely changed my perception that the game could simply be a re-used layout, and he did worry that people would see it that way.

#15361 1 year ago

well i guess if everyone could tak to borg for a half hour at a show then rush would be considered a better game
orbit shot through the pops, the two weird scoops in too-close proximity, the deadend shot on the pro, the awful awful art...i ran $20 through the game and have played it plenty and i can't see ever liking it
just like mando. loved the series, love the art, playfield is gorgeous, the game is an utter absolute piece of crap to play.
taste is subjective
the rush thread will tell you that if you're not a fan of the band you're not allowed to have an opinion on the game. not sure how they feel about STh lol

Not discounting your opinion at all. There's plenty of beloved games that I'm not a fan of. Though I liked the game before talking to him, and like X-Men too.

I agree on the scoops being a negative.

1 week later
#15552 1 year ago

not at all man. the more people chipping away at it the better
the projection surfaces issue is solved though. medisynl sells sheets of that stuff. someone ought to make a template for everything to overlay on it and make it easier to cut
also if projectors do end up failing down the road, there'll be a market for decals to replace the projection surfaces. I know it's anecdotal but I bought a little plastic ball with a color cycling led in it for the spa and the thing is damn near indestructible. I can't imagine anything outside of a fluke or a century causing one of these projectors to fail but I do still worry about it

I don't sell the screen material--I just wrote up a DIY with links to the products I used for anyone that wanted to tackle it.

Would be awesome if someone were able to get that material in larger sizes to prepare (with adhesive backing) and cut to proper sizing for easier installation.

Takes the image from being washed out and nausea inducing (for me at least), to a theater-like contrast (after also adjusting some of the lighting).

#15555 1 year ago
Quoted from blasius01:

haha haha just posted that. That’s the least I could do I think. Guessing that might be a need in the coming years maybe?

Yes, the community would be grateful to have replacements available, and I'd get one just in case if successful.

1 week later
#15727 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Why are you addressing this to me? I didn't bid on it. If I want one, I'll just call a large distributor.

I wound up getting the projector from him.

Believe it or not, my social anxiety is crippling enough, that contacting a distributor in such a case didn't feel like an option.

I was happy to have the opportunity to get a spare in a way that I found stress-free.

4 weeks later
#15962 1 year ago
Quoted from barakawins:

This looks way better.. Where is the link for the material? Also, did you place it on the drops and everywhere else?

Other links and information available here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details#post-6222860

1 month later
#16462 1 year ago

a. has anyone gotten the projector working in a pro? still haven't seen a report of success.
b. um
nah
it takes an incredible amount of parts to make that mech work
[quoted image]
i'm not even sure what magnet you bought since the one used for the TK lock is non standard

Seems to be a successful report here, though not as simple as many hoped:

Quoted from cfh:

Yes it is do-able, i have done it. is it cheap? no. you need a projector to start, and there's way more needed/involved than just that. But you can't go down this road without the (discontinued) projector. are there other projectors that will work? yes, but it's not a drop-in proposal. you have to make new metal mounting brackets (not that the brackets from Stern for the original projector are even available.) And then after that, there's a TON of other stuff you have to do. it's complicated, and it's expensive. You will spend probably $1000 doing this, and perhaps as much as $2000. Is there a cheaper way? maybe. but if you want a factory version, you will need to spend money, a lot of money. Really the better way is to just buy a premium...

Quoted from cfh:

Well it's figured out. Just not very practical to upgrade a pro to use a projector. it's expensive and to make a difficult job a bit less difficult, you need the original projector (and a lot of other expensive stuff.) but the major obstacle is the discontinued projector. Yes the M4 replacement can work. But that means custom mounting brackets have to be made. and it projects player-side-left instead of player-side-right (only the s6000 projects player-side-right, no other compact projector does that.) So it gets even more complicated with that, with not only custom mounting brackets, but also modifying the ball arch because the position of the lens on the projector. then there's the issue with fooling the game to think it's a premium so it will run the projector, not to mention the wiring and modifying the ball trough metal and the projector power supply... The whole thing is complex and expensive, but do-able.

1 month later
#16866 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Heh, I did the exact same thing. Mine arrived staggeringly quickly. I ended up going with Blood Lords's demo dogs, but Hallmark for the Demogorgon, primarily for scale against an Eleven figure I also had.
[quoted image]
The demodog figure looks amazing in the back, there. Also on the left, for me:
[quoted image]
It's worth noting that Blood Lords's Demogorgon mini is FAR more detailed than the Hallmark ornament on my machine. But for Eleven I totally would have placed it.

While I dig the appearance, and all for what BloodLord is doing, just a fair warning that these will create ball traps, where the mod is designed to have the ball return to the playfield or ramp returns if it lands on any platform.

But if others are happy with that tradeoff, then I'm happy

#16874 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Is that mod for Stranger Things available? recently re-acquired owner here so late to this party

Very long wait-list, but more information here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed

Quoted from Utesichiban:

I guess I don't get the airballs you're referencing. I've played quite a bit since installing the figures and haven't had any traps. Never had balls flying around up their before installing Medisynyl's mod either.
The demogorgon figure doesn't have to be put where I chose. At 3.5 inches, it would probably fit okay on the back right corner as well. The dogs would fit just about anywhere on the platforms. Not saying it couldn't happen but if the ball is flying up around the platforms for some reason anyway, the figures acting as a ball trap would be the least of my concerns. Just my two cents.

It's indeed unlikely for an airball to land on objects behind the hazard flashers (especially with the rails), but with 1000s of mods out there over the years, I've come to know the power of numbers will reveal flaws somewhere, and figured it's worth pointing out when I see some permanently affixing these.

Some ball roll tests could help peace of mind with placement, but it's entirely likely that a specific game will never encounter an issue.

3 weeks later
#17007 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Is there any reason that nobody has created a “stick and play” solution for the improved projector screen canvas?
I have no interest in cutting up a bunch of this black diamond canvas and trying to stick and fit it to my game
The end result on that video is really good so I’m sure some modder could make a bit of money here

Based on the quote below, it sounds like my suggested Darkstar/Starbright solution (and version of the billboard) may be offered soon (I have no affiliation with those producing it). The Black Diamond didn't work on the ramps.

Glad to see it may become a simpler option for others to implement (best mod for the Prem/LE IMO), though some of the information in the DIY could still help enhance it further if desired.

1.5+ years on mine and still in great condition with regular play (cleans easily with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner).

Quoted from cfh:

i upgraded my pro to a premium. very similar situation you are in. i used darkstar material but i did buy the white kit from pinlife. they will eventually have a darkstar kit, but the price will be probably near $100 (opposed to $10 for white.) i suggest getting the white pinlife kit, as it gives you the sizes to cut the (expensive) darkstar material. you can buy the darkstar samples and cut them yourself, that's what i did. you don't need more than 3 sample sheets. don't put the material on the sides of the ramps for example. just the horizontal ramp surfaces. and of course the main projector area, drop targets, standup targets behind the drops, and the thin 4 standup targets. I also dimmed the LED lights on the arrows in front of the projection area to help with the projector lighting. used paper over the LED to turn them down in power. also did the 3d print of the ramp sign on the left ramp. that's a nice feature (i hear pinlife is making their own version of that sign.)

2 months later
#17373 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

That would make me feel better. Looking at the wait list though there are well over 300 waiting. There are only 766 registered owners across all 3 models on pinside. So half of all the owners are waiting for this mod?

The only Resin cast mod I've made is the IJ PoA rails.

The type of details and precise fitment present in the Stranger Things set wouldn't be feasible with resin casting.

However, my mods are also not bare 3D prints. Every visible surface gets a lot of work to make them look much nicer than a bare 3D print. Nearly 15 hours of hands on work goes into each set (on top of ~40 hours of print time per set with the current settings). Work split between Marissa and I full time as often as possible, and one part time. Getting through them as quick as we can, but it is indeed a long wait.

If you don't feel comfortable, you can be removed from the list at any time.

4 months later
#17824 7 months ago

my old Stth PREM used to sometimes miss the magnet. I guess it was dialed in well enough and a fast ball will do this. Wondering if those currently using this mod find any issues with flyers, etc and how is the mod holding up after getting hit by one.

This post shows a stress test of the railings (hit harder at the end [second to last shot], from a less favorable angle than should be possible in the game). These are the railings I've been using since last Sept., after testing several materials and print options to make them as strong as possible (a material that can flex a bit and return to proper shape [and withstands heat in shipping]).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed/page/11#post-7174598

Otherwise, my mods are always guaranteed against damage/failure for as long as I'm making mods (including discontinued mods). I've had no reports of any railing damage since changing to the above railings.

Quoted from digitaldocc:

I do like the notion of the dig dug arcade mod turning on when quarter hunt starts.... just don't know where I would put it.

Someone else chose to put the Dig Dug ahead of the front flashers, as a way to separate their main Hawkins items from the lab.

1 week later
#17857 7 months ago
Quoted from Thor_Odinson:

Okay, so it sounds like once a game is out of production, it is rare for it to come back, if these other examples are similar to JP. The chances of me seeing another Tron, LOTR, or even ST seems not likely.

Some years (several?) ago, I recall Gomez essentially suggesting Tron and LOTR would be vaulted at some point (he didn't mention those games specifically, but was clearly inferring at least those two).

Best to not get too excited by the potential vault hints, but anything is possible.

Not a surprise we hadn't seen standard-tier vaults in recent times with the massive backlogs, but as things slow (or if the sky is falling for Stern as much as @Thunderbird's memes claim ), it may make be reasonable to expect some guaranteed winners to return (though I've yet to be able to understand the Tron hype myself).

#17904 7 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Question… posted it on the mod thread but figured many of you (looking at you Chuck lol) may know the answer.
Question…
The medysinyl mod plugs into CN6. I currently have the PCB splitter connected with speaker lights and I’m not sure what else.
The glowing wall doesn’t light up when plugged into a the splitter board. Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions??
Electricity is a weak point for me but if someone has a solution that would be great.
Mod works perfect connected directly to CN6 not the splitter.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Medisinyl:

This came up once before and posted in the thread earlier about DEXTER's experience (perhaps others have the issue and aren't aware).
I initially sent a 2nd set to the same result, to discover there were several other mods on that port keeping the light dim (both sets were fine). First I'm hearing of just one added mod also doing the same.
---
The gate side circuit has a 430 ohm resistor in the circuit to achieve the desired brightness/darkness and speed of the glowing effect when connected to a machine without other mods (didn't occur to me that a splitter and other mods would so greatly diminish the gate effect, but it's been something to learn from).
It's possible removing this resistor in the circuit would fix the issue for those with other mods attached there.
The wiring that is affixed with black hot glue in the back channel has separate wiring for the RGB and Gate.
The side that has a bulge is the gate side. After that bulge (the breathing effect), is the 430 ohm resistor (twisted together with a 20k ohm resistor for the RGB side).

PM will be sent for a clearer explanation.

1 month later
#18019 5 months ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Not sure they are around anymore. I had one on my Premium, decided against it when I replaced it with an LE. Definitely not worth it for the pops/ramps so if you get one only do the main screen.
For what it's worth... I had both pins for a few weeks side by side and I didn't see the need to get another one and I'm an A/V enthusiast. I actually had that screen in my theater year ago.

Must have been a low quality material (or lesser for this particular application). While I haven't checked if the screen mentioned in my DIY thread is still available, it makes an incredible night and day difference, including the drops and ramps. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details

1 week later
#18259 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There’s a physical wheel on the projector. Rmemebr to not adjust the focus until the projector has had a chance to warm up for 20 mins.

This is an important step.

It's an odd factor, but when the projector is perfectly focused, it will be a bit blurry on each fresh power up, then progressively get back to sharp as it warms up.

#18280 5 months ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Mod - For Sale

FS: Medisinyl Mods Stranger Things Mod Set

New ad!

Unused - NOS (New Old Stock) - “I purchased the mod set ~2.5 years ago and never got around to installing it. I sold my stranger things a few months ago and no longer have a use for the kit. I removed the bubblew...”

2 hours ago

Vienna, VA
(702 mi)

andrewket

800 (Firm)

Should note if this is for a Pro or Prem/LE.

Also, I started designing the set in Feb. 2022, so 2.5 years ago can't be right.

Can post the link in my thread as well.

#18301 5 months ago
Quoted from Paseb:

_

what was the original price tag on your mod? are you planning on making another batch?

Currently $770 shipped within the US...wait list is still incredibly long (currently serving those that got on the list 7 months ago).

EDIT: Mod thread is here. List doesn't close until 12/31/23. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed/page/19#post-7829841

1 month later
#18869 4 months ago
Quoted from Enron64:

I have only played around 25 ish games, as I want to wait for the uv kit and experience that during the honeymoon phase. That being said the modes I have played are awesome and this game is fast and furious. I have had to do a few minor adjustments. Nothing to crazy so far. Also worth mention my wife is actually playing this one.

The honeymoon phase doesn't end with Stranger Things (<at night ).

1 month later
#20412 84 days ago
Quoted from SuperMas77:

Would you mind maybe posting up a video of gameplay with your AI Pinstadiums in action? I've been waiting for the Stern UV Kits to come back online and just can't push myself to order the AI's for 2 reasons:
1. They seem really overpowering in the pictures I've seen so far.
2. I read that the Medisinal Mod won't fit with pinstadiums.

As shown in the post linked below, it seems they can be fit (and that AI picture above seems slimmer?), but also saw an earlier report of them not fitting.

I have no personal experience with Pinstadium.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed/page/18#post-7797620

1 month later
#21771 23 days ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Yea...I noticed that on you close ups. This is definitely directional but it in a different way. Held against the light it's almost dark dark grey.
[quoted image]

He meant Jason's, which indeed look wrong, and are taking far more damage than my Darkstar, which is nearly flawless after over 1000 games.
Real Starbright is the same material, as confirmed by Elite.

#21790 23 days ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Thank you.
It makes me want to buy a spare Demo ramp, as eventually that integrated flap will get dinged enough to damage the playfield with each touchdown.

Quoted from paynemic:

I’m sure there’s lots of games with thousands of plays. No need to be hypothetical. Are people seeing this from the initial run?

Quoted from mattosborn:

Several thousand plays here. A few dings in the ramp edge. No playfield damage. No protection beyond the standard mylar.

Mine has a couple layers of mylar and its needed to be replaced, and dings in the ramp flap (or one spot in particular) has indeed cut through the mylar and affected the playfield in a minor way (have seen it on routed games for sale here as well, but not likely common if the mylar is watched, but it can happen).

3 weeks later
#22212 31 minutes ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

For all of you who couldn't get one of the great Medisinyl Mod (like myself). I created at least a variation of the isolation chamber for the left flasher dome of the left ramp.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6544798[quoted image]

Neat option, and awesome to offer the file.

Though if anyone is curious how I came to my tank design, as you can't see the entire tank in the show, I researched renders of the lab to see what the rest of the tank may have looked like (using the show version as best I could [full size handle, riveting, etc.], with some change for new sizing, particularly for the top to look right at that scale). Also opting for a post-ravaging, stripped paint/rusting appearance, as the white as seen in the show stuck out like a sore thumb in the machine.

It's an incredibly long wait, but the list is still open in the thread (though may be some time gap once I get to that "overflow" list portion)
paul-elder-751ee1ae-e42d-436e-8150-15a583e51f77 (resized).jpgpaul-elder-751ee1ae-e42d-436e-8150-15a583e51f77 (resized).jpgpaul-elder-ecfdfd33-49ae-49e1-9bd8-d1e558f9e092 (resized).jpgpaul-elder-ecfdfd33-49ae-49e1-9bd8-d1e558f9e092 (resized).jpgsth1 (resized).jpgsth1 (resized).jpgsth2 (resized).jpgsth2 (resized).jpgsth3 (resized).jpgsth3 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Cruz, CA
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Medisinyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=Medisinyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.