IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).png
20240410_201325.jpg
abba tk lock (resized).jpg
IMG_3111 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3108 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #235 ALERT: Be sure to check PRO Ball Lock Post, it can come loose. Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #712 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Replacement rubber info Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #1272 TECH: TOYS. Demogorgon adjustment to make less shot rejects Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1273 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Projector focus adjustment instructions Posted by rs812 (4 years ago)

Post #1717 TECH: PLAYFIELD. TK lock and deflector adjustment instructions Posted by chuckwurt (4 years ago)

Post #3533 TECH: BOOTING. Fix for Spike machines that frequently have problems booting Posted by C0untDeM0net (3 years ago)

Post #5955 MOD: Stranger Things action button surround and shooter plate Posted by pinballslave (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3042 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Curious of other peoples thoughts about these changes
- Added an adjustment for the number of "Spotted" Demodog Attack starts that
are allowed via a shot to the left eject. Default = 1.
- Changed the default number of "Spotted" mode starts that are allowed via the
left lane target. Default = 2.
- Changed the logic that determines which mode start shot is spotted via a shot
to the left lane target.
- Added an adjustment for the number for "spotted" mode starts that are allowed
via a shot to the left lane target.
- Added logic to allow the left lane target to spot/advance a mode start shot.
- Added logic to allow the left eject to spot/award a lit Demodog target.
I feel like I'm starting modes too fast and kinda liked having to complete the actual shots to get the modes started. Again I could just be not liking it because it's different from how it's been. Now that I know there are limits to how many spots you get that is good. These definitely make the game a bit easier.

With a game like this with a large number of modes, I do not mind having some start shots spotted. Makes it easier to get deep, but that's not a bad thing when there is plenty of depth to dig into (or there will be when done). On the other hand if this was shallow or only had a few modes, then it could make things too easy.

#3137 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I don’t think you’ll ever get it to go to the magnet on slow shots. Has to be a straight on shot and not sloppy at all. In those cases there should be virtual lock compensation for the missed magnet lock.

I think this is my biggest hesitation when pondering pro vs prem. That magnet is such a cool physical lock, but man, I love that left ramp on the pro. Backhand feels so good and the lock doesn't care how you shoot it. The projector looks great though (at least the middle). Can't wait to see/play one in person.

1 week later
#3235 4 years ago

Has anyone thought of (or actually already offering a mod) changing the decals on the main "screen" on the pro? I've seen ones for the back/"ramp" side, but not the actual screen side. I know thematically it probably makes the most sense to have the institute building, but I think the ouija board wall, or even a spooky woods scene would look much better and still make sense in the context of hiding/revealing the demogorgan. It seems like the ouija board wall scene is one of the "default" projections on the prem/LE and it looks great. I'm sure it would work well on the pro too. Anyone seen or tried anything like that yet?

#3288 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think the custom ones are different than the show clips. Seems to be common when they mix the two. GOT is like this too.

If I remember right, Star Trek was originally terrible with this, but they were able to balance them well in a code update. Hopefully that will happen here too.

2 months later
#4389 3 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Are there video modes in Star Wars, other than the "navigate the asteroid field" one? I haven't owned SW in a while...

No, but I'm guessing Bzamborski might be referring to the tie fighter blasting mode. It's kind-of-sort-of a video mode, but the ball remains in play making it WAY more interesting.

2 weeks later
#4726 3 years ago

Hi guys. Joining the club soon with a pro, woohoo! Want to order a UV kit, but the pro kit seems sold out and Pinball Life only has the prem/LE version. I certainly wouldn't mind upgrading my apron to the metal one in the process, and I think I remember seeing talk of a couple people doing just that. My question for those that have done it, does the pro have the holes through the playfield which the metal apron uses to mount, or did you have to drill them? If the holes are there, it seems like it would just be a matter of removing the mounting posts from the plastic apron, then finding the right nuts for the under the pf and the right screws for where the pf hangers attach to the apron. And of course a couple lights if you want to light it up. Am I missing anything?

1 week later
#4885 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Probably place holder. I anticipate prices of toppers to go up, not down.
Saw the shooter rod in person yesterday. Pretty cool, but confirmed my fear that I can live without it. So real knocker kit ordered instead.

Does it only light up blue or is it color changing? I can't find any decent pics of it other than lit blue, but the last code readme had quite a few line items about tying it into the game mode lighting, so I am a bit confused about what it actually does. And it lights from behind from LEDs on the shooter housing? Wish I could find a decent video somewhere of it interacting with the gameplay. I'm tempted, but just based on the pics I have seen, the Hooked unlit one seems nicer looking for half the price...

#4891 3 years ago
Quoted from wizard1974:

Hey all .. This stand up is really bugging me the “ E “ if you go round the burn it back it clips it and sends it 99% of the time straight down the middle , even when I know it’s gonna happen and I shunt the machine it still goes SDTM it’s so annoying. Anyone had this issue ?? My thinking was to somehow move that target back in , been lucky that most of the games I have had before are usually dialled in before I get them .
Cheers
[quoted image]

Looks like you need to tweak your rail guide a bit to the right. Mine is pretty much even with the black outline around the switch cut-out. The ball never hits that switch and almost always feeds to the left flipper.

#4919 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Not sure if there are videos of the Stranger Things Shooter rod but I just installed mine and cannot be happier. I love the interaction with the Upside Down.
Hope you guys enjoy!

Thank you!! Damn, that looks sweet...hmmm...

#4944 3 years ago

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know anything about the map parts? I've seen it mentioned a couple times, but I'm not sure where it came from. It would be pretty awesome if you collected map pieces by doing well during each mode (thinking multi-kills for Horde). Get all the map pieces for a special wizard mode or some sort of big reward. That would be incentive to play the modes well (either so many mode shots, or even actually complete them). Could include the side stuff too like Demodogs and Demogorgan modes. That way you can get to Final Showdown for playing it all, but if you want all the map pieces (and whatever that awards), you need to play them well.

Map pieces could be any number of other things too though. Combos? Super Skill Shots? Video mode awards? Who knows. Hopefully it's SOMETHING though, LOL. The game is pretty well stacked as it is, but I'm always up for another layer to the onion.

#4946 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It came from me talking to Brian Eddy about it. Has to do with collecting the map drawings from season 2. Some sort of side mission. Not sure anything else besides that other than it’s planned and a current mystery award is related to it as well.

The wizard mode scorings are based on how you did in the modes (although send it back doesn’t currently work that way. Hopefully that changes). Brian said that if you do well in season one, send it back will be more valuable. Season 2 and light the fire will be more valuable. Kill it in both seasons? Final showdown is worth more.
Good idea on the map images. Maybe that adds more to final showdown scoring based on how many you bring to the dance. They are also related to light the fire so maybe lump them into the scoring of that mode.

Ahh..very cool stuff. Off topic some, but I read somewhere that this has the "Star Trek" rule of combos doubling lit shot values. I haven't really noticed that happening, but I am not great of keeping track of scoring while I am playing either. Is that true? If so, are there exceptions...such as a Demo kill shot or big jackpots?

I'd love to see more leader boards. Games like Batman 66 and JP have spoiled me with their leader boards for darn near everything. I'd love to see that here, although I guess most of the modes have a bit more of a set top score possible. Would still be fun for the modes, demo(gorgans and dogs), etc. Skill shot champ. Would also be cool to have a season 1 and season 2 champ which combines all of the relevant modes and wiz mode for each season. And of course....Bullshit champ. Speaking of which, we need more BS. I've only gotten it once in 140+ games so far.

1 week later
#5075 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just make the center button make various face slap sounds and award minimal points every time "Bullshit" is uttered. Have a discipline champion for most slaps in response to a "bullshit" in the mode (not just spamming the button). It would be hard to juggle that task and keep the ball moving. Could be fun.

Just as long as it isn't an Eggo eating contest...

#5108 3 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

chuckwurt
So I did the alligator clip test and flipper was still weak
I disassembled the flipper mech and rebuilt it
still weak
My flippers were set at 195 for each and machine has been playing great including making the ramp shot on to the mouth.
I upped the right flipper power to factory setting of 255 and the flipper is playing better.
the left is still at 195
they both seem to be at the same power in terms of force.
Do you think its a weak coil?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, especially after you rebuilt them, but did you leave a little play up-and-down between the flipper and the playfield bushing? I've seen a few flippers too tight to the playfield and binding right out of the box.

#5168 3 years ago

I honestly think Stranger Things could end up being a huge sleeper hit as code gets tweaked, shots get adjusted, and more people discover it. If not, it will be one of those hidden gems that just doesn't get the respect it deserves (along side X-Men, Mustang, etc). The layout is very satisfying, the mood and theme integration is second to none, and the code is by far Lonnie's best work. I bought it in large part because of how big of a fan of the show my daughter is (and me too honestly), expecting to be kind of lukewarm on it myself. Turns out I can't get enough of it...I can't see it going anywhere for a very long time. Just a great game all around and deserves much more respect.

#5170 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

As a huge fan of the show as well, I think the theme integration is great too. And clelands work puts it over the top.

I haven't even tried Cleland's code since I love the stock audio so much. I should try it though...I've been a huge fan of his other work on TWD and GOTG. Both game changers.

#5172 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

He doesn’t mess with any of the good stuff and improves the stuff that’s just okay.
Main single ball track to a more upbeat version. Added more callouts for tilt warnings
Added licensed music to modes like quarter hunt , run will, Mirkwood, Morse code. The ones that had just okay music before.
Really cool music additions for high score entry and game over.
Stuff like that.

Sweet. I will check it out for sure. Thanks.

4 weeks later
#5434 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Best is getting the demo dog targets up to 4 million a piece. That’s some good money right there.

How do you boost their value? I enjoy the demodog modes, but really wish they didn't block progress towards season modes.

#5439 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They don’t if you start them in the right order.
So the targets are 1M each to start.
If you collect all 7, they up to 2M a piece. Do that again, and they get to 4M a piece.
I’ve only been able to get them to 2M each. Then 2x playfield to get the 4M each.

LOL...truth on starting in the right order. So many times I've been sitting outside of a mode on ball 3, extra ball is lit, but so is Demodogs. Do I try to start that mode first and risk the drain, or take the extra ball and lock myself out of modes for awhile. Whichever I decide is usually the wrong answer for that particular game, LOL!

I didn't realize the scoring since I rarely concentrate on hitting them. That's good stuff. Love this game.

#5498 3 years ago
Quoted from pudluther:

Apologies if this has been covered, but I’m late to the party and I can’t scroll through 100+ pages...
Do we think there’s going to be another code update and, if so, any rumors of a video mode? I’d love to see Hopper shooting demo dogs in a video mode on the projector screen, ripped straight outta BSD. <drools>
Also...anybody heard any rumors about action button integration in a future update?
I know the topper is on the way...really looking forward to that as well.
Thanks all.

Great idea with the BSD style video mode. I'm not big on video modes at all, but that's a good one. And why not combine the action button with it? That way you could shoot left, right, and center. That would be fun, as long as not overused. Once per game only please (I'm looking at you Star Wars...).

1 week later
#5680 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah it seems some miss low and other miss high. So obviously two different solutions depending on your specific issue.

I can fairly consistently hit it from a cradle on the left flipper. Almost never from the right. In your opinion, is it worth messing with it to try to get both flippers consistent, or leave well enough alone and be happy to have one? I'm not sure if most people can get it from both or just one. I have heard a few people mention right is easier than left, which mine is the exact opposite of. Last thing I want to do is make it worse, LOL!

1 week later
#5790 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Now THATS how you code a final wizard mode. Sounds amazing!

Sweet Fancy Moses that sounds awesome. And Snowball Dance as victory laps if you beat it? Brilliant.

The best part though...it's still not 1.0. Come on map pieces!! I would like it to be collect them for completing or doing well in modes (since right now you only need to start them) and get a special mode for collecting so many. But we'll see what Eddy and the team come up with. So far I am loving this code. Unique modes and the way it builds to the different "check point" mini-wizard modes is so satisfying, not to mention all the side missions. A few scoring tweaks would be nice yet, but I'm very happy overall.

#5792 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Last time I talked to Eddy about the map images it sounds like they will be similar to soul shards in Maiden.
Code those
Eleven mystery award (I bet that’s video mode)
Balance the end of ball bonus
Then maybe tweak some of the chapter mode scoring on some of them to make them more interesting.
If we can get all that, it will wrap up as a fantastic game everyone simply wrote off too soon imo.

Heck yeah...perfect list. Fingers crossed!

#5811 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Thanks. I have a couple LE friends that said they aren’t seeing the same as me so maybe something weird happened on mine during the update. I’ll try the update again.

Yeah it's not just you. First game my center shot to start demogorgan wouldn't register. Opened the game up, reseated connections, and it seemed fine for a game or two after but I haven't played since. I assumed I had a loose connector, but I doubt it's just coincidence that you are having trouble too. Bummer, but I'm sure they will fix it up quick.

I have a pro, FYI.

#5824 3 years ago

Just played a couple more games. Definitely not a fluke. Middle shot behind drops is intermittent. Left light lock seemed ok but right only worked once in 3 games. Other demodog targets were mostly dead. Everything else seemed ok but not positive. Definitely a bummer. It they already know about it, you'd think they would take the facebook post down at least. I usually give Stern a lot of grace, but seriously how did they not catch a bug this major? One play test would have told them something was haywire. :/

#5923 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Considering selling my JP pro for a ST premium ... Those who own both, would you do it? My biggest hesitation is the lack of humor and overall darkness of the theme. Is it a "scary" game to play? Is there any humor? I am kind of wuss.

I had a JP pro for about six months. Sold it and used the money for a STh pro. Probably one of the best trades I have done. JP is unique and impressive, but just wasn't satisfying to me from either a layout or code standpoint (yes, I am aware I am an oddball in that). STh on the other hand actually surprised me by being even better than I expected. Fairly standard but very satisfying layout, but then you throw in getting to launch a freaking ball into a freaking monster's mouth! The code has come so far, and while it isn't anything earth shattering, it is a lot of fun, utilizes the entire playfield in unique ways, and has a ton of different things to do. Even the demogorgan modes which are just a "side thing" are quite varied. There are five of them, all with killing the demogorgan as the central goal, yet each one is entirely different and unique. The main modes are fun, and there are a lot of them, each different, and they build wonderfully to mini-wizard mode "check points" along the way. That way, even in a non-great game you can likely at least get to a Total Isolation mode and feel like you accomplished something. It's just a great progression. And some of the modes, especially as you get deeper in the game, get INTENSE! I love the atmosphere this game creates. The lighting and sound effects are killer. Great game all around, and one that I think was written off by many people way too quickly.

#6012 3 years ago

One other thing I did was remove the post that is on the one way gate right under the demogorgon. I honestly don't know why that post is there as it keeps the demo leaned back.

I did this about a week ago. Made a HUGE world of difference on my machine. Before I could make it from a clean, cradled shot on the left flipper about 75% of the time, and 0% from the right. Now if I am accurate, I'd say 95% from the left and at least 80% from the right (cradled), and can even occasionally make a shot on the fly. It also allows a little bit more front/back movement when hit (I have a pro, so no controlled movement), which I love, but I do worry a little bit that it's putting extra stress on the two mount points. I think I will take my chances for adding 100% more fun to my game though.

Thanks to whoever had this suggestion earlier in this thread. Sorry I can't remember who first posted it.

#6115 3 years ago

Simply removing the spacer under his "chin" that the front of the sculpt rests on made a world of difference for me!

1 week later
#6206 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

My first time revisiting this thread in a while. All you dudes that are having a hard time with the demogorgon shot need to be looking at the post spacer underneath the front of the demogorgon. Replace it with a taller or shorter post and you're golden.

Or as I did...just take it out altogether. Huge improvement. I might still remove the washers under his mounting posts yet to see if I can get it even better, but I'm 95% satisfied now.

#6210 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Be very careful using other companies art blades. I’ve heard they use a much weaker material than stern. Sterns blades are very durable.
Also for those that have after market blades or want to keep them nice when lifting the playfield, get these.
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

The ones he is asking about are Sterns. That said, I have Stern on about half my machines and Tilt Graphics on the other half. Quality is very comparable. I can't speak for other companies though. I really need to order a set of those protectors one of these days.

#6294 3 years ago

Yeah it's really odd. Stern sent me a new ramp a while back but I'm still waiting on the ramp graphic to put it on. Will be sending the pic to stern for advice

Just took a look at mine and it's doing the same thing. That's...unfortunate. Please let us know what Stern says. Hopefully we can at least get new decals and protect them with mylar.

#6297 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I really don’t understand what is happening. Is the ramp getting damaged by the guide underneath it or is it just pushing the ramp up a bit and causing the line in the decal?

I haven't opened mine up yet, but it looks like the ramp lays directly on the guide and has slowly worn its way through...probably from the movement/flex plastic ramps do when shooting them.

#6299 3 years ago

The ramp appears to be sitting on the guide and the vibrations from the ball rolling on the ramp are causing it to dig in. It's cut thru the graphic. Unfortunate there is another report. I was hoping mine was a one off. I have not heard back from stern yet

Yup...beat me by seconds.

I've seen it on older games. If I remember right ST:TNG was notorious for a pop bumper chewing up the beta ramp decal. I might be thinking of a different game though. Either way...it's not unheard of. Just a shame and something I never thought to look for and protect earlier. Hopefully it isn't bad enough to eventually damage the ramp itself...

#6300 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s crazy so the ramp is probably close to breaking in half? That sucks. Checking mine now.

I doubt it will break the ramp in half, but it could eventually wear a groove in the bottom of the ramp. Hopefully it's not bad enough to wear all the way through the ramp. It seems like that would take a heck of a lot to do.

#6302 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay luckily no damage on mine but the ramp is definitely resting on that guide.

I'd slap a strip of mylar under there to keep it that way. If it's resting on it, the typical ramp movement will eventually lead to it chewing through the decal.

#6304 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I’m just not wrapping my head around how that’s possible. The wrap plastic would have to be super weak i would think. These ramps are pretty beefy. Maybe the tighter the better so it’s held on tight to the guide and not bouncing on it?
The pro decal must be really thin. The projector decals are super thick.
I could not even fit a business card between the ramp and the guide on mine.

Oh wait...the white decal on the prem/LE is on the TOP of the ramp, isn't it? Yeah...no worries about the decal being damaged in that case, but the ramp might get a groove worn in eventually. On the pro the decals are on the bottom of the ramp. So really, the lane guide is contacting the decal directly. Doesn't take much tiny movement for that sharp metal edge to eat through a thin decal.

#6306 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Oh!!!! Haha. Now this all makes sense.
Yeah I would replace the decal then put Mylar over top of it and hope that helps. Maybe put a thin piece of felt between the guide and the ramp too.

LOL...I knew we had to be missing something.

Happy Friday buddy!

#6354 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have you played bullshit or find the compass or quarter hunt or lure dart or finished Mirkwood?
All have great funny callouts in them.

I'm sorry, but you ate my cat!

#6394 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can’t guarantee there is going to be one. Brian never said they we’re definitely doing one. My theory is it’s the eleven mystery award, but purely guessing.
I’d like to see the ides thrown out in here with BSD style with demo dogs. Center button could clear the screen once per turn too.
Or better yet avoid demo dogs like the Phurba VM on shadow.

I like the idea of BSD style with a third, center position for the action button. Could get NUTS!

#6448 3 years ago

Awesome update! Love the drawings...I can't play for crap tonight so only managed to earn one, but I LOVE the sound effect for it! Not sure how the MXV skillshot is supposed to work since I swear I hit a regular then the super immediately, but maybe I hit something in between.

I'm not upset about no video mode, and honestly if one never happens I will not be too disappointed. Many games do not have them, and I'm ok with that. There were some really cool sounding ideas in this thread though, so fingers crossed maybe it will still come to be. Just as long as it isn't lame or comes up too often (and more than once a game is too often...I'm looking at you Star Wars... )

1 week later
#6718 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I’m about 100 plays in, and I’ve hit the demogorgon in the mouth *once*. Build date Jan 2020. Shots seem to hit low. I’ve adjusted flipper strength a few times.
Looks like I’ll be doing the washer trick. I think I heard somewhere that the ramp was riveted incorrectly on some games, making the shot difficult?

The easiest would be to remove the spacer under his chin first. That's all mine really needed. That took my left flipper from 50% to 99% and my right from 0% to 50%. I might still try the washer trick someday, but I'm pretty satisfied for now.

#6722 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The hex post? It’s not touching the chin. [quoted image]

That's the one. Since yours isn't even touching it, I'd say you will need to both remove it and do the washer trick. Mine was definitely being pushed up by the post and sits at least 1/4" lower without it. You will have to go the next step with it. Good luck! It will be well worth it in the end.

#6823 3 years ago

Yeah...it is pretty weak usage. I really hope they add more effect yet. It really stands out at the start of multiball. When that van crashes, it should be an earthquake. Instead...nothing. LOL

#6859 3 years ago

Has Lonnie ever done heavy shaker motor effects in his games? I own a Guardians as well and that one hardly uses it as well. Not sure if this is unusual for Lonnie or what.

Yeah, Lonnie usually does some good stuff with shakers. Avengers and Star Trek are two off the top of my head with good effects.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed it is still coming, along with any clean-up, score balance/tweaks and extra lightshows, etc that they might have planned. That's the way to do it...get the big stuff, modes, features, etc done, than get the icing on the cake once that is all done. They have nailed it on damn near everything so far, so hopefully they will top it all off nicely yet. I think this is Lonnie's best work by far.

#6878 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

If anyone likes random things just floating around on your pins, you might like the Hallmark ornament this year.
[quoted image]

Looks good there...but I hope that dude can take a beating. Air ball danger zone!

#6954 3 years ago

Woah...awesome update. The double map for ideal mode completion is an awesome idea and will add a perfect layer of strategy. Final Showdown Challenge is cool, though I have been so close I may hold off until I get there in-game. We'll see. I do like that this feature is becoming more widespread with some of the more beefy wizard modes. It's a great way for my wife, daughter, and friends to play a mode they would likely never see otherwise, and sometimes it is nice to just mix it up and do something different. I do not think it would work for every machine, but it fits perfect here.

And I can't wait to get my shake on!

Thanks Eddy and crew...this game has really shaped up to be something special. I hope someday it gets the recognition it deserves rather than getting lost in the shuffle of outstanding games released this year. To me, it definitely holds its own against the rest. Love it.

2 weeks later
#7195 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just don’t know how it could be software based when the couple pros on location here have never had this issue and they’ve been out since launch. I’ve played both of them a lot.

It seems like it can't be code or all pros would have the same issues, and they do not. Sucks he's having issues, but I do not see how it could be code related.

#7208 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s essentially an add a ball feature to all multiballs that aren’t the TK MB
So if you lock a ball or two on the backboard for TK MB, then start total isolation or a Demogorgon multiball, the balls stay up there. Once during that MB you can press the center button and get those balls put into play and your ball save restarts.
I’m not sure if it’s once a game or unlimited. I haven’t played around with it a lot.
Thinking of streaming the new code later tonight so I’ll post up if I do so others can see it.

That sounds freaking cool. I've been having a few sneaking thoughts of upgrading my pro to a premium, and that certainly doesn't help resist. Then I read a few more TK lock issue posts and help bring that back down...LOL.

Just for fun consider this a feeler for anyone with a premium (or LE depending on $$) that would rather have a pro and some cash. Road trip/meeting distance from WI. Not sure I'd go through with it, but let's discuss if that interests anyone.

#7220 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

They've done a good job keeping the lid on the topper for this one. Now for it just to be somewhere under $500...

Fingers crossed for a BK retheme with Hopper's severed head yelling at you to play better.

The Hopper Topper. Make it happen Stern.

#7408 3 years ago

Yes, there is a gap when installing the premium apron on the pro. It isn't small enough for a ball to fit in, and you can't see it unless you look from the side. It doesn't bother me at all. Very nice upgrade, and like you said, it's "free" with the UV kit. I put a couple small Comet 3smd strips under the windows and tied them into a close GI light. Super easy. Just route the wire out of the way so you can't see the shadow.

#7419 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Did you just mount them to the playfield with the adhesive, right below the windows? Sounds easy enough.

Yup. Worked great, and super simple.

#7550 3 years ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Com’on ironman8bit don’t give up yet! I see you listed you’re ST Prem. That’s a mistake my friend. Once dialed in it’s an amazing title. Maybe the damage that was incurred to yours is why you’re having such difficulties. That stinks.

Yeah...at least meet me half way and I'll trade you a perfect pro! Not sure about that damage though...I hope he put in a claim to have the rail and hinge replaced at least.

#7583 3 years ago
Quoted from IronMan8Bit:

Granted you're 100 times better than I am it's just depressing seeing how well yours works compared to mine. It's def not even closed to dialed in yet...

Sorry I didn't go back through your posts to see if you've already done this or not, but if not, make sure to remove the spacer under stinky's "chin". That alone made him lean far enough forward for me. I'm nearly 100% successful from a clean shot left flipper and ~60% from right flipper. Good enough for me for now, though someday I might go ahead and pull him all the way out to lower his rear too. Best of luck...I hope you find the magic bullet for both issues!

1 week later
#7738 3 years ago

Unfortunately Jack Danger is "normalizing" death saves. Newer players watch him and think it's just another skill. Bad habit to get into. If you ever play in a tournament that's an instant DQ. Of course, it's your machine...do what you what makes you happy with it. But it is 100% cheating. Might as well stuff socks in your outlanes.

#7792 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

Hello guys,
Can you put the Premium UV-kit on a Pro model?

Yes, and I highly recommend you do this since it's a free upgrade to the metal premium apron. Add a couple LEDs of your choice underneath to light it up. Huge improvement.

1 week later
#7929 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

I'm about to order a Pro and UV kit. Premium has great features but honestly I'm lazy and just want to play.
Tell me its right.

I love my pro. LOVE it! WAY more than I expected to. I honestly wish I would have gotten the premium. Had I known I would like the game this much, I would have. But now that I have my pro, I struggle with the idea of spending ~$2k to upgrade it. I mean, I could get a real home theater projector for less than that, lol. But if I had to do it all again, yeah if I had the extra money I would go premium. That said, the pro is still an awesome machine, and definitely less headache to dial in. Stranger Things kind of got lost in the shuffle of amazing machines that came out last year, but in my opinion it holds its own against all of them. Fun layout, insanely cool gimmicks in the demogorgan and UV art, amazing atmosphere, and by far Lonnie's best code.

#7936 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

Thank you, I appreciate the insight premium it is. I will update when it gets here, also will have the powdercoat done by Robert Stone

No problem. I'm sure you will love it!

1 week later
#8108 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Hi guys considering a pro and have a few questions
- what are the differences between the pro and prem demogorgan? Does the pro demo register hits outside the hole or only direct shots to the hole?
- is Steve in this game? He’s by far my favorite character and would love to have some Steve call outs/video clips
- any idea when the UV kit will be available again? Seems sold out everywhere
- any downside to using the premium UV kit on a pro? I read something about soldering additional leds- is that needed?
- will cleland continue to support this game for future updates? The sound mod is a must have for me
Thanks

I think the rest of your questions were answered, but as far as the premium UV kit on a pro, no downside there. It's a free upgrade to the much nicer looking metal apron. Soldering LEDs to light up the windows is completely optional. If you do not do it, they will just not light up. Even not lit, it's nicer looking than the pro apron. That said, it's super easy to light them. Grab a couple short LED strips from Comet and tie them to the closest GI bulb. You could use alligator clips if you can't solder (but if you own pins you really should learn how at some point).

#8109 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Thanks guys, I’m going to mess around with this. Always learning something new. I’m embarrassed to admit this, but today was my first time getting Total Isolation. This game is soooo good!! Can’t believe I almost passed it over.

As others have said, no need to be embarrassed! It takes a lot of practice to be able to put up big scores and make a lot of progression. Pinball is not an easy skill by any means. Keep at it, and you'll get there.

The way the code builds to different "checkpoints" is awesome. No matter what your skill level is, there is a wizard mode for you, plus more to look forward to as you improve. Or if you are a really good player, but having a bad game or off day, chances are you can still feel like you accomplished something. Not many games are this rewarding for every skill level. My daughter can get to the first TI on a good day. I can usually get to the second one, and on a really good day maybe Send It Back and/or Light the Fire. I haven't quite put everything together and made it to Final Showdown yet, but it's been close (I did it before FS was in the code, but not since, go figure, LOL). I know I will get there eventually, and even when I do, I know there is still Snowball to look forward to once I actually beat it. And for those days I can't even make it to TI2, well TI1 is still a pretty cool accomplishment and I do not walk away feeling totally defeated. That is just good coding.

I also love that if modes are kicking my butt, I can just concentrate on Demogorgans or Demodogs and still have a really rewarding game. Even if you ignore everything else, getting to Can't Stop This or even Run Will is a pretty big, and very satisfying, accomplishment. Heck, for some people killing one Demogorgan is a big deal, and that's ok! The game still makes you feel like a rockstar for doing it. And that's what it's all about.

I've said it before, but this is definitely Lonnie's best code, and it isn't even close. Few other games reward all levels of play so well.

#8188 3 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

My STh pro(Dec 2019)came with the post rubber all the up on the out lanes. Not sure if all came this way but maybe they changed this on newer runs to make it easier for location play.

My pro also came all the way up/open.

#8338 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Struggling to decide between a sth pro and maiden pro for my fourth and final game.... I know I’m In a sth echo chamber but curious of what you think matches my collection best
SW prem
GnR SE
Deadpool pro

I kind of hate to say this since I love STh, but since you have a SW in the lineup, I guess I would lean towards Maiden. I am not saying they are exactly the same or anything, but SW and STh have some major playfield similarities, whereas Maiden is vastly different than anything in your collection.

#8357 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I’m curious to hear how similar or not similar folks think SW feels to STh. I had an AFm which I loved and never felt that SW felt similar at all. The idea of STh being an “AFM” 2.0 with deeper code and the unbelievable cleland sound mod is that is pulling me towards STh. My brain says Maiden my heart says STh

I probably didn't explain my comparison well. I do not think they really feel similar at all, but they both have a similar layout structure. Both are very standard fan layouts (though STh has better twists). Both are what I call typical "ramps and orbits" layouts...two pretty standard ramps and two pretty standard orbit shots. Orbits are basically in the same place (all the way out), with a spinner on the left. Both ramps are placed similarly and both feed directly back to the opposite flipper for "easy" figure eight combos. Both left ramps are backhandable. Both have the annoyingly standard "token" pop nests in the upper right corner, and both were even reduced to two instead of the standard three (although, who cares anymore). Both have a target bank front and center, though STh is WAY more interesting. Both have ball launches that launch into said target bank. Both have a sweet inner loop, though STh is only one way. Both have far outside shots to a scoop, though on opposite sides. Yes, there is only so much you can do with a two flipper layout, but these games do have more similarities than most. They aren't clones by any means, like Guardians of the IronTallica Man, but they have a lot of shared design queues.

What makes them feel so different is what they do with those things. The orbits especially...yes they are in the same place, but they feed completely differently. SW are standard loop all the way around or divert to the pops. STh left orbit is that sweet ramp around to the right flipper (so, so good) while the right dead ends in the pops (which I thought I would hate but do not mind). That center target bank is of course the biggest divergence, with STh not only having drops that open up a very different feeling shot behind, but then the lowering ramp and of course the demogorgan. That's a game changer for sure. And of course the rules, mood and feel of the games are VERY different.

So no, they do not feel similar, but they do definitely share some basic layout structure. Maiden throws any "typical" design structure out the window and is pretty much completely it's own animal. Then again, it also has four flippers to work with and all the possibilities that brings. Does that make it better, not necessarily. It just makes it even less like a game you already own. Both are great, you can't go wrong with either. If your heart says STh, that's what I would follow.

#8359 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

thanks for the thoughts I appreciate it
Few more questions
- does the center decal on the pro have UV paint on it?
- is the pro very dark?
- how many modes are there? are they good? I know at some point in early code they all felt very similar
- does this game provide the feeling of “blowing it up” or do things happen in succession?
- does the game have similar strategy to AFM in that you are trying to manage/time multiballs with demo modes in order to get past them?
- Do the demo modes have different visuals/sounds/call outs or are they all the same? Do you progressively need more shots to take down the demo?
- is there a wizard mode champ/stamp in the high score like there was with rule the universe in afm ?
- does the pro lack many video assets compared to the premium/LE?
- dirty pool and video modes- are these features coming or probably not?
- if you could change one thing about this game, what would it be?

Hey those are cool questions to think about when buying a game. Nice. Will do my best to answer.

- does the center decal on the pro have UV paint on it?
Unfortunately, no. That said the UV lights the game up like a Christmas tree so it doesn't stand out as "missing".

- is the pro very dark?
Yes and no. It's moody lighting and fits the theme well. The pf art isn't lit all that well (until the UV kicks on at least), but all of the shots are well lit and I never struggle to see them. My machine is in a pretty dark corner of the basement and I never feel like it isn't lit well enough like some games.

- how many modes are there? are they good? I know at some point in early code they all felt very similar
12 "regular" modes, 6 season 1, 6 season 2. For how many they are, to me they all feel different and are all a lot of fun. There aren't any (other than maybe the demodog modes) that I groan about hitting, and there are some that put a huge grin on my face. Some light and fun (Quarter Hunt), some SUPER intense (What Mama Says). Some focus on certain shots, while some have a pattern of shots to follow. Most have a "better" way to finish them to boost score/collect maps. Some reward combos, some have a higher score shot, etc. Each season has it's own unique mini-wizard mode (Send it Back and Light the Fire), and there are the Total Isolation 1 and 2 "checkpoints" along the way. Plus 5 Demogorgan modes and 3 Demodog modes. One main multiball (TK), and one final Wizard mode (Final Showdown) plus a victory mode for beating it (Snowball). So that's what...27 modes total?

- does this game provide the feeling of “blowing it up” or do things happen in succession?
Both. It has a great "build-up" like few other games. Every skill level has something cool to shoot for, or their own "wizard mode" of sorts. For some that will be Total Isolation 1, and they will feel like they really accomplished something by getting there. And each of those can have a "blowing it up" feel with big points possible, and lots of fanfare. It never feels linear since there are so many directions to go and the modes are always mixed up, but there is a definite succession in the "check points" along the way (Total Iso 1, Total Iso 2, Send It Back/Light the Fire, Final Showdown, Snowball). The Demo modes are linear, but since they are more of a "side mission", that's ok. And it feels like a big accomplishment progressing through those as well.

- does the game have similar strategy to AFM in that you are trying to manage/time multiballs with demo modes in order to get past them?
I am not super familiar with AFM as I have only played it casually, but a good strategy is usually to stack a season mode with a multiball. This is a bigger advantage with some modes than with others. Three of the five demogorgon modes are multiballs of their own (which can also stack on a season mode).

- Do the demo modes have different visuals/sounds/call outs or are they all the same? Do you progressively need more shots to take down the demo?
All of the demo modes feel different. I am always amazed at how unique they managed to make them each feel even though they are all centered around the demogorgon. Yes, some need more shots than others. Some are single ball, some are multiball. Some require other shots in between demo hits. Some require timing a shot while the ramp is moving up and down (!). Amazing variety, even in these "side modes".

- is there a wizard mode champ/stamp in the high score like there was with rule the universe in afm ?
Yes, each mini-wizard and wizard mode has a high score table now. TI1, TI2, SIB, LTF, and FS all have their own leaderboard, as well as a separate one for Final Showdown Challenge (which can be started separately from the game, like Escape Nublar on JP).

- does the pro lack many video assets compared to the premium/LE?
I have never played a prem/LE, but I do not feel as though I am missing any video. They definitely have more going on at once, but from watching streams it seems as though whenever something major would be on the projector, it is shown on the main screen on the pro instead. It seems like for the most part, when an actual scene is happening on the projector, the main screen is showing a generic base screen (either the lab, the title sequence, or the ouigi board wall) and visa-versa. I could be a little off there, but from watching a few streams, nothing major jumped out as something I haven't seen on my pro...just on the display instead of the projector.

- dirty pool and video modes- are these features coming or probably not?
I doubt it, but who knows.

- if you could change one thing about this game, what would it be?
Hmm...I guess a few shots could flow a hair better, but with a little tweaking they are all good. I would love the right ramp to be a hair wider. It's not unfair, but I find it a little tough of a shot, and I would love if it could be backhandable. It would be nice if the demogorgan and the TK lock on the prem/LE would be better out of the box so people didn't have to tweak them. Unfortunately needing some tweaking right out of the box is simply a reality in all pinball at this point.

I admit, I mostly bought the game because my daughter fell in love with the show and it looked pretty good. I knew I would like it, but didn't know if it would be a keeper. I have been blown away by how much I ended up loving it. The code has evolved so nicely, with pretty much all of my wishes for it being fulfilled, and more. I honestly think it's Lonnie's best work by far. So much to do, and it all feels unique. And smacking the demogorgon in the face never gets old. Ever. It's a great game that unfortunately got lost in a flood of amazing games last year. I hope it continues to find a following as people see how good it really is.

#8375 3 years ago
Quoted from Anubis330:

Once again, the great Chuckwurt saves the day!!!

He won the science fair in eighth grade by turning his mom's vibrator into a CD player using some chicken wire and shit. The mother fu*ker's like MacGyver. No, the mother fu*ker's better than MacGyver!

#8378 3 years ago
Quoted from JonCBrand:

I'm going to pull demo out to remove shims. Is there any other was besides removing that topside hex/slotted screw? I really don't want to touch anything near TK lock ramp since it's perfect.
I will get the screw out. No way my fat fingers will get it back in, aside from a magnetic swivel socket which I ordered.

You could try just removing the "chin" spacer first. That's all mine took. You can do it without removing anything else, though it's awkward and annoying. I would try that first and then go deeper only if you need to.

#8404 3 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Ok up and running with great Cleland mix right off the bat! Intial observations-
Pros
I didn't watch any play videos before hand (thanks again Twitch!) So I was blown away by all the targets and spinner being animated! So awesome and a great design! I haven't even added any of my mods yet.
-How can anyone say they are cool with not having the projector?
-definitely a top cab out of everything I have played so far.
Cons
- going through setup menu and I get to sound. At 30-40 my glass rattles and makes nasty noises with just the confirmation noise of changing digits.. Stock sound setup.. That didn't even seem that loud to me and I haven't even hooked up the sub yet. Anyone else have this issue/resolve? Playing the game I can hear the glass rattling at 30, also hear rattling down lower in the cab and I am pretty sure it is the woofer.
- before I turned it on, just pressing the flipper buttons against the springs, the right one feels slightly weaker? And then after I played a game now I see that my right flipper doesn't return all the way now to align back with the left flipper in typical position....
-got to make one shot to demogorgon- bounced off mouth. -ramp has dreaded gap on side. Here we go lol.
-made 2 TK shot- it didn't even think about magnetizing but maybe it was a weak shot, I am babying it. Still got the ball lock though.
-one airball off center drop targets and it didn't sink it, then next shot knocked down 2 of them.
-cab fan seems really loud?
-when am I supposed to sleep? I could keep playing this all night.
Shot of where my right flipper is at rest after first game-
[quoted image]

The flipper alignment has nothing to do with the flipper button. It's not super weird for one to feel slightly harder to press than the other. Chances are they will equalize after actuating them a few times, but if not you could take the stiffer button apart and see if there is anything rubbing funny.

The flipper likely moved because the flipper bat wasn't tightened down on the pawl. You will need to realign it and tighten it down. Make sure you leave a tiny gap between the flipper bat and the playfield bushing so it doesn't bind up. If you haven't adjusted a flipper before, I am sure you can find a good explanation or tutorial with a little googling. Can seem intimidating at first, but is super easy and a good thing to know.

Fans are pretty loud. That's normal. You can replace with a silent one for pretty cheap if you want. It never bothers me that much.

30-40 volume seems insanely loud to me. Not surprised you are getting a rattle and probably distortion. I wonder if something is wrong with your amp or speakers? No way I could comfortably play over 20. I think most of mine are around 12-15 and they certainly aren't quiet.

#8413 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s most likely due to the cabinet switch not pushed up against the button as much as the other side.

Just to clarify, yes, that is likely to make the button more stiff...but it has nothing to do with the flipper alignment. I know that's what you meant, but clarifying it for the op.

1 week later
#8663 3 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Interesting. It definitely took damage from dropping in the vuk and then again from hitting the top corner of the right sling.
On the same topic, did you beg Stern to add shaker (more?) to the demogorgan? My shaker never goes on when it roars. Makes no sense.

Put it in switch test and pound on the playfield. I'm guessing you have a loose opto that is triggering from the right vibrations. Hopefully just physically loose but a minor short or flaky solder joint could be suspect.

The shaker is awesome in this game since the last code update (or maybe 2 ago?). Make sure you are running the latest code.

1 week later
#8849 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

The only thing that doesn't make sense is the cartoon Demogorgons. I dont dislike it, it's just not the same type of art as the rest of the machine.

I agree...great concept, but WTF were they thinking with that art style? It took me awhile to figure out what I was even looking at. It doesn't "read well" at all, and looks out of place with the rest of the art. Very strange decision.

1 week later
#9129 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Speaking of pro/prem/LE. What’s the consensus, pro vs premium? And what are the differences, is it just the TK lock and Projector?

I love my pro. I do often think about the upgrade stuff, and even considered moving up. However, realistically it would be at least a $2k upgrade, and I can't quite justify it for no substantial play differences. $2k could get a real home theater projector, LOL. If the right deal ever worked itself out, I would likely do it, but right now the money difference is just to much. If I could do it for $1k, I probably would...but $2k is just too much to swallow for (mostly just) eye candy.

I do not regret the pro at all, but if I could go back and do it again, and money wasn't a concern, I would love a premium or especially an LE.

1 week later
#9331 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stats from Pinbrew. 408 plays! Thursday was dead so this was really over two days.
Also the coil stop unscrewed a few turns on the TK lock and caused to TK lock to fall out of harmony. All good now![quoted image]

What do you have for speakers and lights? Upgraded speakers? That looks awesome.

#9353 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stock LE speakers and speaker lights are from
Speakerlightkits.com

Ahh...forgot that you have an LE. Nice.

2 weeks later
#9660 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can get more than one extra from the burn it back loops. Not sure the exact thresholds though, or if they are all auto-adjusting. It seems like I actually got a third from them once but it was a lot of loops...like 130? Of course I might be imagining that...lol.

#9901 2 years ago

I love the shaker action on STh since the code update that added it. I wonder if those saying it adds nothing are still on the old code where it really was nothing? Either way, it's great. A bit more subtle than some games, but it really works well and adds to the atmosphere in my opinion. And this game is pure atmosphere. For what, $70 from Pinball Life you can't go wrong.

#10052 2 years ago

Been awhile since I had a really good game on Stranger Things. Last night I managed to finish Send it Back! I'm pretty sure that was the first time I have finished it, and might have been the first time there since the latest update (I don't remember the sweet map bonus last time I was there), so I was finally able to put in SiB initials. Went on to finish the last mode before Light the Fire, but tilted my last ball trying to save a SDTM drain before I could start it. Bummer. It's been awhile since I got to either of them, much less both. I was still quite a ways from Final Showdown as I only had 3 demogorgan modes done and 1 demodog, but man it felt good to get deep into the game again.

Such an awesome game. Really pulls you in and gets the blood pumping. Love it! I really do not understand when people say this is a shallow or simple game. He doesn't get enough credit, but Lonnie absolutely knocked the code out of the park on this one. 25(?) unique and substantial modes, every one feels different, and the way it all builds logically to bigger and bigger events is awesome. Sure it doesn't have the super deep or complex strategy like some, but there sure isn't a shortage of different fun things to do.

#10068 2 years ago
Quoted from radfordian3505:

So excited to finally join this club. Just bought my distributors last pro and it will be here on friday. Does anyone in here have any leads on pro uv kit. My distributor has me down for one in the next couple weeks but told me to reach out on here just in case stern drops the ball again and pushes them back farther.

Pro Tip (no pun intended): Do not get the pro UV kit...get the premium one. Free metal apron upgrade! Toss a couple LEDs of your choice under the apron to light up the windows (if you want) and you're golden. It's like a double mod for the price of one.

#10106 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

When the ball drops from the ramp, it sometimes bounces off the lane guide so the transition to the flipper isn’t smooth. This isn’t flipper hop, the ball is bouncing up off the lane guide. Messes with timing of shots. You game does it too. They all do.

YES! Holy crap I thought it was just me. I've tinkered with the lane guides, ball drops, pitch of the machine, etc all trying to make it stop. It's a weird one for sure...I do not have any other games that do it to this extent. And it's super inconsistent. Will be super smooth 50% of the time, then like a freaking bouncy ball boinging down the guide the other 50%. Seems to be no reason for it. I guess I'll chalk it up to "stranger things"...

1 week later
#10313 2 years ago

Needs more bull$hit.

#10345 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How about your demo shot? Backhanding the right ramp?

Wait wut? You can backhand your right ramp?

Witchcraft.

#10358 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

yeah I do it, it is tight and the ball does not have a lot of speed... actually tonight is the first night where I was struggling with it after I said I did not... lol but I did get a few even after an hour into playing... so I think that maybe for that alone the fans might be worth it. Other than that, I do not feel I would.

Wow...crazy. I will have to work on it. I've tried many times but it always just seems like impossible geometry. Left ramp sure, all the time, but the right is a different story for me, and I usually backhand everything. New goals! LOL

#10375 2 years ago

Well damn. Freaking LEs must be shaped differently than pros. LOL

I'll work on it and report back. Now it's a mission. I've done it plenty on the fly (mostly luck), but never from a cradle. Heck, I can backhand the JP left ramp most of the time, so I don't THINK it's just lack of skill (ha!).

#10379 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Well damn. Freaking LEs must be shaped differently than pros. LOL
I'll work on it and report back. Now it's a mission. I've done it plenty on the fly (mostly luck), but never from a cradle. Heck, I can backhand the JP left ramp most of the time, so I don't THINK it's just lack of skill (ha!).

Yeah...zero chance of a right ramp backhand on mine. Early enough to work hits the sling post. A fraction of a second later hits the target on the left of the ramp. There is no middle ground. Watching Chuck's clip above, if I flip as far down the flipper as he is, it would hit the center of the target...nowhere near the ramp. I'll try it glass off some time so I can concentrate on just doing it again and again, but I really do not think it's physically possible on mine. I do use Perfect Play flipper rubber which could make a difference, but it was the same before I switched from the stock rubber. I'm a little steep, but not much. Chuck's seems to be steeper than mine. There must be just enough variance machine to machine to kill the backhand for some of us.

#10427 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Can someone tell me the proper way to get the wire into the cabinet when installing the shooter rod with leds
I have no visual…. Thanks
I’m guessing the plate needs loosened?

The entire shooter housing assembly is swapped out. The LEDs are in the housing, not the rod.

1 week later
#10656 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I was one shot away from TI2 again last night. Getting so close is what keeps me coming back to this game. I actually blew it because I was so focused on finishing the mode to get my 11th drawing. Must focus on TI2 next time.

You'll hit that TI2 soon and then only a few steps away from SIB or LTF!

That's one of the things I LOVE about this game. There is a mini-wizard mode obtainable for every level of skill, or for every lucky/unlucky game. Even when I have a crap game, chances are decent I can get TI1 and still feel satisfied. A slightly better than average game I can probably see TI2. If I'm really on I could see LTF or SIB. And I have been very close, but haven't quite gotten Final Showdown yet. From there I know I will still have Snowball as a final goal. It just has such a perfect build-up and fun payoff at each level along the way. Few games manage that level of satisfaction for everyone so perfectly. Even a total beginner can probably kill (or at least see!) the first Demogorgan without any idea of what they are doing, and that's a HUGE moment for them. This game just nails it from that standpoint. I've said it before, but it's Lonnie's best code by a mile.

2 weeks later
#10912 2 years ago

I only removed my chin spacer. That’s all mine needed.

1 month later
#11494 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You have to take the whole demogorgon out of the game.

Nah...a little creativity, pain, and way more time than doing it right and you can get that spacer out without removing the demogorgan.

1 month later
#11884 2 years ago

Friendly reminder since UV kits seem to be popping back up in stock...if you are a pro owner, you can order the premium UV kit for a free metal apron upgrade. Add a couple LEDs or strips under it for the lit window effect if wanted. Super easy, free upgrade.

#11944 2 years ago

I would get those pics to Stern right away. They might replace your playfield for something that large in in plain sight. Then again being only the clear and not the artwork they may suggest a clearcoat repair first. Good luck! Either way I would get that area protected ASAP.

2 weeks later
#12164 2 years ago

It ain't yours until you bleed on it.

#12167 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Hahaha
Well I bled and have cussed it. I could t get the ring back on so pulled the ramp after all. Now I’ve stripped a screw in the metal ramp trying to get it back in. Backed it out again and of course it brought the post with it. Ugh! All this for some new rubbers. Hahah. That’s pinball. A seemingly 20 min project turns to 7hrs.

I can 100% feel this post! LOL

Good luck!

1 week later
#12285 2 years ago

I was just cleaning my machine and I noticed some strange things around the inserts that seem to be under the clearcoat. Anyone seen anything like this before? Seems to be on the edges of the inserts. You don't see it when the game is on but it's clear when the game is off. It almost looks like the inserts are pulling away from the clear? I feel nothing on top of the playfield. Is there anything I can do about this?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I am guessing that is the glue that is used to attach the inserts to the playfield. I can see it on mine also if I shine a flashlight at the right angle, though not quite as much as yours. Some of my other machines have minor signs of it too, but again you have to be really looking for it and hitting it with a light. My guess is Stern will say it's normal, but it's worth asking about at least. Someone might have been a little more whippy with the glue machine the day they were making yours.

#12287 2 years ago

could be. I emailed Pablo and will see what he says. Mine definitely seems to be getting worse and you can clearly see it from a distance. It first started on the final showdown insert a while back and I didn't really think much of it. Just a tiny hint of what looked like a scratch or something on the upper left side. Last night when I was cleaning though I noticed it was now on more than half the inserts and it's getting worse on the main one. I think the black on the playfield is amplifying it but if you look in the upper left corner of the final showdown insert there is a bubble forming into the main area of the insert. The machine is so far out of warranty at this point I doubt they will do anything. I love the game so maybe somewhere down the line I'll buy a replacement playfield for it.

That's a bummer. Again just guessing here, but I would say a crappy glue job is leading to ghosting, which can spread over time. That used to be more of a common problem, even back in the WPC days, and Stern had a rash of it around the Star Trek/Ghostbusters timeframe. Haven't heard of it much lately though. Hope they take care of you. I will say, being outside of warranty period has never stopped Stern from helping me out when I have had issues. Now whether or not they consider this to be a replacement worthy issue, I'm not sure. I know they have cracked down on that some in the last couple years, but they are usually pretty good about replacing true defects. Hope they can help you out!

#12301 2 years ago

I am in shock at this but the Stern quality team took a look at the pictures I sent, determined that this is a defective playfield and they are sending me a replacement unpopulated playfield when the next run of pros are done in late nov-dec. Honestly I have only had amazing service from them. Pablo and the entire quality and support teams over there are awesome. A bit speachless to be honest. I was not expecting that

That's awesome! Stern is an awesome company in many ways, and I love hearing stuff like this. I'm amazed you heard back so quickly. My last replacement they thought about for months, but that was right in the beginnings of COVID lockdown. I will say, do not expect to see it any time soon. I have had a couple replaced, and each time it has taken at least a couple months to ship. I am still waiting for a JP playfield they agreed to replace back in February. I'm not worried...it will show up someday, and thankfully my machine is fully playable in the meantime, so no big deal. I'm sure they are tied to whenever the next run is.

Anyway, CONGRATS! An unpopulated swap is a big project, but a fun one. Enjoy!

#12316 2 years ago

Stern used to send out populated playfields like candy. It had to have cost them a fortune, both in the pf itself and shipping three directions (they sent you a box and you had to ship your old populated pf back for those). For MOST defects, I'm ok with unpopulated. It's definitely better than nothing. I'm guessing the majority of people that receive them never put them in, and sell them with the machine (or seperately) down the road. It's a good "insurance policy" for when things get too bad. I am always appalled hearing about and seeing the playfields that JJP refuse to stand behind. At least Stern (usually) does the right thing.

Quoted from swampfire:

I would love to swap a playfield on this game. I just did a LOTR swap and it was about 50 hours. I think STH would be maybe 24 hours? Definitely doable.
I still have a Gorbachev-shaped scar from where a Centaur playfield came down on my head. Worst. Swap. Ever.

I just did a TMNT pro over Memorial Day weekend. It took 28 hours, but that included a couple hours of troubleshooting and in retrospect there are a couple things I could have done better/easier. One big example was buy new t-nuts instead of trying to pry the old ones out, straighten the tines, and reuse. Ugg. Live and learn, LOL! I also bled a little, but thankfully no scars, haha! Very fun project though, and a three day weekend was perfect for it. I am looking forward to doing my JP once that one shows up.

#12379 2 years ago

I have never found Stern to limit their customer service based on their written warranty. I think the official wording is only there to limit people just trying to take advantage of them with issues that were not reasonably within their control. There have been many times over the years that Stern has gone above and beyond to make things right, even years later and in cases where I was not even the original owner.

1 week later
#12522 2 years ago

I'd definitely be interested in a nice action button plate. The two shown above do nothing for me. The one with the bikes is a decent design, but the hideous color and weird shape kill it for me. I like what you did with Mando above, but I'm not sure I would want the "Demo Bomb" text. Rather have just a cool design of a couple demogorgans or something.

#12542 2 years ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

yeah but i don't think the game explicitly refers to it as that ever

I'm on board with your thought process. I find the term "demogorgan bomb" kind of silly and not thematic. If it were my choice, I think I would just use "Kill the Demogorgan" or something along those lines.

#12546 2 years ago

I am not a D&D player (though I'd love to try it), but I think Critical Hit would be an accurate term?

I would still lean towards "Kill the Demogorgan" or "Destroy the Demogorgan", etc. Anyone remember if there is a specific callout in the game (not necessarily when using the button...just in general)? I think I remember Hopper saying one of those two phrases, but not positive.

Totally not meaning to steamroll your project...almost anything will be better than the current options!

1 week later
#12604 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Pro owner here since May.
So how often are people getting to TI2 or the mini wizards ?
I’d say I’m an average player , only made TI2 once. Haven’t started either of the mini wiz modes.
To be fair I only put a handful of plays on it each week.

Not as often as I would like! I find STh is a game I need to stay in practice with if I want to do good. If I do not play it for a couple weeks and then come back to it, it takes awhile for me to find my groove again. I would say TI1 is pretty common, almost every decent game. TI2 is quite a bit harder for me. If I'm in practice, I would say 1 in 10 games or so. Very achievable, but not a gimme. SIB and LTF are pretty rare for me. I have only been to each a handful of times. I still haven't quite put it all together for Final Showdown, though I have been very close. I'm sure I will get there someday, and it would definitely help if I focused on the game more and didn't get distracted by other machine. That build-up of wizard modes is one of the things that makes this such an amazing game. No matter your skill level, or if you just aren't doing very well that day, there is a satisfying wizard mode within reach. It's a perfect progression.

1 month later
#13031 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Well at least I got a (plastic, boo) apron and some things today. Now, more waiting game.
[quoted image]

Did you order the one for the pro or premium? Pro kit comes with plastic. Premium kit with metal. But it's super easy to put the premium kit on the pro. A nice "free" upgrade.

#13034 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I'd order a premium kit but as far as I'm concerned they've been vaporware for a while. Wanted to at least get something as pro kits seem hard enough to get at this point as is. Figured I'd secure one and keep my eyes out for a premium kit.

Yeah...pro kit is 100% better than no kit!

3 weeks later
#13579 2 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Yep looks much better that way IMO. Retaining the original artwork on the UV apron was important to me. [quoted image]

That's where they should have been all along. Such an eyesore having it on the apron. All that dead space on the coin door is the obvious place.

#13646 2 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Interesting how some of the animations are missing from pro to premium code

Pretty sure some of the stuff that the pro displays on the screen is moved to the projections on the prem/LE. So it makes sense that they would be "missing" if you play prem/LE code on the pro.

#13746 2 years ago

TK multiball's worst offense is all that rad buildup for such a boring mode. i still watch the full van flip animation every time i play i have a soft spot for it because locking 1 ball for TK MB was a pingolf goal in a tournament where i think i shot an 8 on a 6 hole course

Man, I don't find TK multiball boring at all as compared to most machines "easy"/main multiball modes. For me, the addition of relocking a ball for double jackpot (and I think 2 for triple on the prem/LE? Not sure since I have the pro) before accidentally hitting the super makes all the difference. Plus try to hit 2x playfield on top of that for a double double super...that's good stuff. I'd actually say it's one of my favorite "regular" multiballs. The only thing I hate is when I accidentally start it without a season mode or demodog, but it's fun enough that I don't mind too much. Not like Thor or IM multi on AIQ...blah...now those are some freaking boring multiballs (in my opinion of course, no offense to those that enjoy them).

1 month later
#14194 2 years ago

Nothing at all against it, but the premium upgrade is 95% eye candy. There is only a tiny change to the actual game in the swipe a ball feature and the 3x jackpots, so I really can't consider it a "game changer". There is nothing of real consequence to the game, compared to something like A:IQ and LZ with an entire ramp and ball lock system (which I vastly prefer), or something like GoT or BK with an upper playfield (even though I prefer both of those as pros!).

Now don't get me wrong...if money was no object I'd love a premium or better yet an LE. The eye candy is really good eye candy! I just can't justify it for myself in this case.

#14196 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah that’s the point I’m trying to make. If these games were free there would be zero pros sold. Haha

In many cases, definitely. I still prefer BK and especially GoT as pros. Premiums are fun in both cases, but the pros are just better to me.

1 month later
#14508 2 years ago
Quoted from timmmmyboy:

The gate at the mystery shot has been giving me hell, the ball manages to get caught there regularly sitting on the gate and against the left wall where it can't roll anymore without some heavy nudging. In an attempt to bend the wireform to sit a bit more flush I broke it. Guessing I need to get a wire jig to rebuild this or is there on available on Marco or Pinball Life? If I get the jig to build my own what gauge piano wire do I need to get?

I would check with Stern, either direct or through your favorite distributor. Many times they will happily replace things like that, even if you are out of warranty. At least, they used to. Not sure what things are like their these days. Results may vary, but it's worth asking.

1 week later
#14666 1 year ago

i ordered a subwoofer- are y'all just punching a hole in the ventilation mesh at the back of the cab to thread the cable to the sub or what?

The vents are just stapled on. Pop one staple by pushing it in with your finger and you have plenty of room.

1 year later
#18275 6 months ago

Finally! Sometimes I forget just how damn good this game is. Even got to the Snowball dance, but literally drained on the first flip, lol. They could have given us at least a tiny ball save for getting to the dance!

IMG_5107 (resized).jpegIMG_5107 (resized).jpegIMG_5108 (resized).jpegIMG_5108 (resized).jpegIMG_5109 (resized).jpegIMG_5109 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jediturtle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party?tu=Jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.