StrangerThingsProjectorIssue (resized).jpg
IMG_3491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3383 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3470 (resized).jpeg
A_SSK (resized).jpg
AE99B1FC-2FD4-481F-8B7F-6B7DF79E16DD (resized).jpeg
image_67200769 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 445.
#4851 3 years ago

You have replacements in your goodie bag.

#4852 3 years ago
Quoted from jhngh41:

White projection stickers on posts getting pretty chewed up, who sells the replacements?

Your goodie bag has replacements.

#4853 3 years ago

Game’s not even that old yet and the projection stickers need replacing? The goodie bag won’t be enough for the long haul, I hope Stern sells them or another solution arises.

#4854 3 years ago
Quoted from evileye:

Game’s not even that old yet and the projection stickers need replacing? The goodie bag won’t be enough for the long haul, I hope Stern sells them or another solution arises.

1200 plays on mine and they show no signs of physical wear.

#4855 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mine have a tendency to fall off long before wear can occur.

#4856 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Mine have a tendency to fall off long before wear can occur.

That happened to me the first night I had it. 2-3 of them came off. Cleaned the targets with alcohol, put back and have been good since.

#4857 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That makes me feel better, thanks.

#4859 3 years ago

Beta testers have been sent coil cooling fan kits. Should be very close to release.

#4860 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Beta testers have been sent coil cooling fan kits. Should be very close to release.

This to help the flippers loss of power over long play?

#4861 3 years ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

This to help the flippers loss of power over long play?

Yes. The coils getting too hot over time is the root cause of flipper fade. This solves that problem completely.

#4862 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What SHOULD happen is Stern should buy your kits and then ship them out to game owners for free.

#4863 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. The coils getting too hot over time is the root cause of flipper fade. This solves that problem completely.

I fully intend to get your mod when it's released. Now that I've said that, you'll know I mean no ill will with what I say next:

My friend who has been a pinball tech for decades was over my house recently. I was telling him how ridiculous it was that someone had to develop a mod to cool the coils so the game works properly. He laughed and just said why don't you just put on stronger coils, pointing out correctly that it must be a design problem that Stern should make right.

So...has this been discussed before? Would stronger coils knock out a node board or something?

#4864 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

So...has this been discussed before? Would stronger coils knock out a node board or something?

I’ve had the stronger LOTR coil on my right flipper for 300-500 plays or so. You have to cut the diode off, but it works fine. It still benefits from being cooled by a fan though. So I am keeping both.

#4865 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve had the stronger LOTR coil on my right flipper for 300-500 plays or so. You have to cut the diode off, but it works fine. It still benefits from being cooled by a fan though. So I am keeping both.

Thanks. You don't know the coil number that you used offhand, do you?

#4866 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks. You don't know the coil number that you used offhand, do you?

Got to pinball life and search up the LOTR special coil. I can’t remember.

But imo the fans are what put this issue to bed for good.

#4867 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

What SHOULD happen is Stern should buy your kits and then ship them out to game owners for free.

On most machines the fade is subtle and players don't even realize it's the machine and not them that's the issue. So I'm sure that Stern is like, don't poke the bear, let sleeping dogs lie, admitting there's a problem is a problem, etc. I now doubt they even have collected temperature data in internal design testing while making these.

The TMNT backhand to the left ramp, for example. If I didn't have a gauge on it so I could see the coil temp when I started missing that ramp backhand consistently, I would just think my timing was off, when it's actually the coil is too hot and has weakened. But Stranger Things is especially bad and the fade is very noticible on longer games.

#4868 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I fully intend to get your mod when it's released. Now that I've said that, you'll know I mean no ill will with what I say next:
My friend who has been a pinball tech for decades was over my house recently. I was telling him how ridiculous it was that someone had to develop a mod to cool the coils so the game works properly. He laughed and just said why don't you just put on stronger coils, pointing out correctly that it must be a design problem that Stern should make right.

No offense taken. I looked at all solutions before settling on the fans. I even installed the stronger coils on LotR back in the day so I could hit the stupid ring late in the game!

Stronger coils are not a fix to the problem and will break more stuff faster over time. They also may cause airballs. You're increasing the coil strength to account for the fade that will happen when it heats up so the coil strength is enough to make key shots even late in the game when the coil's overheated. But in the beginning of play, the power of the bigger coil is way too strong. This is how targets, plastics, and standups break faster. And since most people play shorter games, the game will have MOST of its time with a coil that's too strong bashing the playfield parts. This is not good.

The fans are the best solution because the correct coil the designer intended at the correct strength is performing the correct way in an optimum temperature range for the length of play, beginning to end. Tell him that.

I also believe, but have no proof yet, that the coils will last longer since you won't have the expanded coil thing happening over time from them being too hot. Watching the fans shave 35 degrees off the overheated coil temps on TMNT while I was still playing it once I turned them on was impressive. It was the first time I tried it that way, and they definitely work.

#4869 3 years ago

I'm hearing a lot of static coming out of the right backglass speaker on my PRO with the stock speakers. I think it started with .96 but it is still in .97 and in Cleland's mod. It does not appear to be tied to any particular sound. I swapped the right backglass speaker from my Munsters into the machine and it is still doing it so I don't think it's the speaker. I've also tried adjusting the audio levels with the stock stern eq settings and I can't adjust it out. It's really annoying. Is anyone else with a pro hearing the same thing? I'm going to report to Stern tomorrow.

#4870 3 years ago

Along with the audio issues I'll be sending this video to Stern tomorrow. I've been trying to debug the opto issues under the demogorgon with Stern and finally got some good video of it. I think it's getting worse as it happened a ton today. I put together a quick video of it with a description of each section what I'm seeing. I have spent a good deal of time in switch test mode and I've examined all of the optos several times and I can't find anything wrong with any of them. Only happens when I am playing. Must have a ghost in my machine.

#4871 3 years ago

Wow that sucks. Disconnect the opto that’s behind the drops that completes the words and see if any of the other issues go away. Closely inspect the wires that go to that opto to see if they somehow touch or short to another set of switches (the left orbit post optos or the mystery target)

But it appears the optos behind the drops is the issue. Did you replace them?

#4872 3 years ago

I’ve played for 3 hours last night and again today. Last half of games the TK was getting less and less caught off right flipper. Still very happy with the 1st hour being almost 9/10 TK catches. I think it’s understandable the heavy/long play will have an effect on flipper strength. Either way, last hour Still was WAY too fun. Addicting. Just. One. More.... Game

#4873 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wow that sucks. Disconnect the opto that’s behind the drops that completes the words and see if any of the other issues go away. Closely inspect the wires that go to that opto to see if they somehow touch or short to another set of switches (the left orbit post optos or the mystery target)
But it appears the optos behind the drops is the issue. Did you replace them?

Stern has not sent me new ones yet. Continuing to do the troubleshooting. I keep being asked to check the alignment and inspect for visual damage but there is no issue there that I can find. Hoping with the video they will send me some new optos to put in. I'm pretty sure my machine has always done this since the first version of the software. Seems to be getting worse but then I'll play 100 games without an issue and then boom it'll happen a ton. I've inspected the wiring so many times at this point and reseated connectors. I have not tried it with that opto disconnected though. Will look at that tonight.

#4874 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Stern has not sent me new ones yet. Continuing to do the troubleshooting. I keep being asked to check the alignment and inspect for visual damage but there is no issue there that I can find. Hoping with the video they will send me some new optos to put in. I'm pretty sure my machine has always done this since the first version of the software. Seems to be getting worse but then I'll play 100 games without an issue and then boom it'll happen a ton. I've inspected the wiring so many times at this point and reseated connectors. I have not tried it with that opto disconnected though. Will look at that tonight.

At least they are still talking to you. They’ve completely ghosted me on my UV Kit. The Pro Kit they sent me by mistake is still sitting in the box on the floor.

At this point I’m considering putting my pin and spare playfield in a trade thread. Maybe I can get a HUO Batman 66 or Ghostbusters Premium for it.

If Stern never gets back to me I guess I’ll have to sell the Pro Kit at a loss. Never quite managed to turn this one around.

#4875 3 years ago

Anyone having a ball get stuck under/behind the demo resulting in having to tilt the game to get it to release? I am trying to see where it's getting stuck without having to take the demo assembly apart. It gets "stuck" when I shoot the middle shot under the actual demo about 30% of the time now. Haven't had this issue since adding .96 and .97 on the machine. I don't think it's a code issue, but something just needing an adjustment after the amount of plays on the machine.

#4876 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Anyone having a ball get stuck under/behind the demo resulting in having to tilt the game to get it to release? I am trying to see where it's getting stuck without having to take the demo assembly apart. It gets "stuck" when I shoot the middle shot under the actual demo about 30% of the time now. Haven't had this issue since adding .96 and .97 on the machine. I don't think it's a code issue, but something just needing an adjustment after the amount of plays on the machine.

The gate wire probably partially fell off. Happened to me, too. It only hung up the ball part of the time, depending on the path it took as it went through. It's a known issue at Stern that was supposedly fixed for later runs.

Broken
ball-trap (resized).jpgball-trap (resized).jpg

Fixed
ball-trap--fixed (resized).jpgball-trap--fixed (resized).jpg

#4877 3 years ago

I wonder if this is a placeholder price or the actual price for the topper at Marco. No picture of the topper unfortunately.

Annotation 2020-07-27 143249 (resized).pngAnnotation 2020-07-27 143249 (resized).png

#4878 3 years ago

Probably place holder. I anticipate prices of toppers to go up, not down.

Saw the shooter rod in person yesterday. Pretty cool, but confirmed my fear that I can live without it. So real knocker kit ordered instead.

#4879 3 years ago

Has anyone seen the pinstadium UV kit ? I ordered the stern one it’s currently in UK customs and I am waiting to see how much extra money the queen fleeces me for
The PS kit looks really impressive and TBH I probably wouldn’t have bought the stern one had I seen it , wondered if it’s as good or if it’s different?
Cheers

#4880 3 years ago
Quoted from wizard1974:

Has anyone seen the pinstadium UV kit ? I ordered the stern one it’s currently in UK customs and I am waiting to see how much extra money the queen fleeces me for
The PS kit looks really impressive and TBH I probably wouldn’t have bought the stern one had I seen it , wondered if it’s as good or if it’s different?
Cheers

Yes, I installed the stranger things true UV pin stadium lights. I'm impressed and think I will still order sterns UV kit to make it that much brighter and I want the uv plastics.

#4881 3 years ago

Stern UV kit is better for sure.

#4882 3 years ago

Has anyone tried adjusting the TK arm so that it sits further to the right of the machine? This would entail some washers on the mounting mechanism or something similar. Mine seems to reject most balls before they even get the chance to go up the arm. If the ball could swing around the bend a bit more prior to engaging that arm it might help. Just a thought to see if anyone has tried it.

I've done all the recommended adjustments so far from Stern/this thread.

#4883 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The gate wire probably partially fell off. Happened to me, too. It only hung up the ball part of the time, depending on the path it took as it went through. It's a known issue at Stern that was supposedly fixed for later models.
Broken
[quoted image]
Fixed
[quoted image]

That's gotta be it!! Looks like you had to remove the Demo assembly above to get to it? Thank you for the pic!

#4884 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Has anyone tried adjusting the TK arm so that it sits further to the right of the machine? This would entail some washers on the mounting mechanism or something similar. Mine seems to reject most balls before they even get the chance to go up the arm. If the ball could swing around the bend a bit more prior to engaging that arm it might help. Just a thought to see if anyone has tried it.
I've done all the recommended adjustments so far from Stern/this thread.

Double, triple and quadruple check you did them correctly. 13/16” of an once from the back wall, 2” from the ramp floor (actually works best a tad under this), and remove the screw in the back snug plate, loosen all the ramp screws (including the ones in the ramp flap), and push the ramp toward the front of the game and retighten. Do this for the entrance half of the ramp. Leave the exit half alone.

#4885 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Probably place holder. I anticipate prices of toppers to go up, not down.
Saw the shooter rod in person yesterday. Pretty cool, but confirmed my fear that I can live without it. So real knocker kit ordered instead.

Does it only light up blue or is it color changing? I can't find any decent pics of it other than lit blue, but the last code readme had quite a few line items about tying it into the game mode lighting, so I am a bit confused about what it actually does. And it lights from behind from LEDs on the shooter housing? Wish I could find a decent video somewhere of it interacting with the gameplay. I'm tempted, but just based on the pics I have seen, the Hooked unlit one seems nicer looking for half the price...

#4886 3 years ago

I wonder if this is a placeholder price or the actual price for the topper at Marco. No picture of the topper unfortunately.
[quoted image]

Hoping it's not $699, topper prices are crazy. It

Quoted from Jediturtle:

Does it only light up blue or is it color changing? I can't find any decent pics of it other than lit blue, but the last code readme had quite a few line items about tying it into the game mode lighting, so I am a bit confused about what it actually does. And it lights from behind from LEDs on the shooter housing? Wish I could find a decent video somewhere of it interacting with the gameplay. I'm tempted, but just based on the pics I have seen, the Hooked unlit one seems nicer looking for half the price...

It is only blue, I have it. I has a nice glowing effect in attract mode. When you hit the outlanes or do anything good, it blinks. I wouldn't consider it interactive, but I like it.

#4887 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Saw the shooter rod in person yesterday. Pretty cool, but confirmed my fear that I can live without it.

I've never been a huge custom shooter rod guy myself. However I think this one is probably one of the very best. It looks fantastic, it's shaped great and feels great in your hand. The color is awesome too.

#4888 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I've never been a huge custom shooter rod guy myself. However I think this one is probably one of the very best. It looks fantastic, it's shaped great and feels great in your hand. The color is awesome too.

Yeah it’s the closest I’ve been to getting a custom shooter rod. The JP one would be hard to pass up too. But overall, not a big shooter rod guy either.

#4889 3 years ago

@chuckwurt, I finally pulled the trigger on the pinwoofer GT system for my stranger things machine! Hopefully get it by this weekend so I can install it and report back to everyone !

#4890 3 years ago

Hey all .. This stand up is really bugging me the “ E “ if you go round the burn it back it clips it and sends it 99% of the time straight down the middle , even when I know it’s gonna happen and I shunt the machine it still goes SDTM it’s so annoying. Anyone had this issue ?? My thinking was to somehow move that target back in , been lucky that most of the games I have had before are usually dialled in before I get them .
Cheers

3E6B7CA2-0E66-4C39-873B-78A2C2C10E4D (resized).jpeg3E6B7CA2-0E66-4C39-873B-78A2C2C10E4D (resized).jpeg
#4891 3 years ago
Quoted from wizard1974:

Hey all .. This stand up is really bugging me the “ E “ if you go round the burn it back it clips it and sends it 99% of the time straight down the middle , even when I know it’s gonna happen and I shunt the machine it still goes SDTM it’s so annoying. Anyone had this issue ?? My thinking was to somehow move that target back in , been lucky that most of the games I have had before are usually dialled in before I get them .
Cheers
[quoted image]

Looks like you need to tweak your rail guide a bit to the right. Mine is pretty much even with the black outline around the switch cut-out. The ball never hits that switch and almost always feeds to the left flipper.

#4892 3 years ago
Quoted from wizard1974:

Cheers
[quoted image]

Is your ball guide completely straight? Mine has a slight angle to it at the last inch or so. I never have the ball hit that target.

EE6725D2-F2F5-4153-AC49-BA05499C978D (resized).jpegEE6725D2-F2F5-4153-AC49-BA05499C978D (resized).jpegFBE16CC3-DB86-45D9-948C-C1D7E7383F9C (resized).jpegFBE16CC3-DB86-45D9-948C-C1D7E7383F9C (resized).jpeg
#4893 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Double, triple and quadruple check you did them correctly. 13/16” of an once from the back wall, 2” from the ramp floor (actually works best a tad under this), and remove the screw in the back snug plate, loosen all the ramp screws (including the ones in the ramp flap), and push the ramp toward the front of the game and retighten. Do this for the entrance half of the ramp. Leave the exit half alone.

When I had initially done this I was using a tape measure. I got a small precision ruler and walked back through the Stern guide for TK lock adjustments. Turns out the tape measure method sucks as I was way off on my measurements. Adjusted them now to Stern spec and the lock is working much much better. Thanks for the reminder to check and double check!

#4894 3 years ago

I just added the shooter rod. Normally I'm not a shooter rod mod guy, but this one is awesome. As others have pointed out, the instructions were terrible. This game is dominating play time in my collection right now!

#4895 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Is your ball guide completely straight? Mine has a slight angle to it at the last inch or so. I never have the ball hit that target. [quoted image][quoted image]

Yep mine is dead straight ... going
To see if I can bend it out slightly it always clips that stand up so it’s definitely not right , thanks for the pic

#4896 3 years ago

I'm hearing a lot of static coming out of the right backglass speaker on my PRO with the stock speakers. I think it started with .96 but it is still in .97 and in Cleland's mod. It does not appear to be tied to any particular sound. I swapped the right backglass speaker from my Munsters into the machine and it is still doing it so I don't think it's the speaker. I've also tried adjusting the audio levels with the stock stern eq settings and I can't adjust it out. It's really annoying. Is anyone else with a pro hearing the same thing? I'm going to report to Stern tomorrow.

Yes, I've been getting the same thing, was getting it on my JPPrem too...Drives me crazy

#4897 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Yes, I've been getting the same thing, was getting it on my JPPrem too...Drives me crazy

I went ahead and sprung for the new GT pinwoofer system. With the upgraded 5.25” speakers. I’m tired of my machine not being able to make out all the cool call outs. They seem muddled and buried.

#4898 3 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I went ahead and sprung for the new GT pinwoofer system. With the upgraded 5.25” speakers. I’m tired of my machine not being able to make out all the cool call outs. They seem muddled and buried.

And has this helped?

#4899 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

And has this helped?

I just ordered it. It hasn’t arrived yet. But I’ll give you all a full update once it does.

#4900 3 years ago

Does anyone else play with headphones? I usually add a headphone kit to my games as I play at night when the family is in bed. The audio on STh is great when you can hear all the details!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mount Washington, KY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 22,201 posts in this topic. You are on page 98 of 445.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/98?hl=jdub03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.