StrangerThingsProjectorIssue (resized).jpg
IMG_3491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3383 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3470 (resized).jpeg
A_SSK (resized).jpg
AE99B1FC-2FD4-481F-8B7F-6B7DF79E16DD (resized).jpeg
image_67200769 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,204 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 445.
#4251 3 years ago

I had a LOTR. I swapped out the coils with the bigger ones and agree it played better. I hadn't heard of anyone putting fans in it but maybe they did. If NST plays better will larger coils I'd probably try it. My guess larger coils will also get warmer over time and a fan will keep them cooler

Quoted from chuckwurt:

My friend has fans on all his Sterns. Not because the shots become unmakable, but because the timing changes.

How much does the timing change? 1 ns, 1 ms, 100 ms? My measurements seem to demonstrate its well under a 1 ms.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

But when I make the same exact shot and is doesn’t go, nothings to blame except for flipper performance.
I just don’t see how it could be anything else. Are you and your friends playing for 2-3 hours at a time? How many rejects would you say you get on perfect right flipper shots to the lock? Mine are near zero. Maybe 1-2 in a 2-3 hour session. Just had a long session tonight with a friend and counted them. I would’ve lost count before. Again, nothing changed but fans.

My game plays well now without any fans. I'm open to adding them, but I don't really care about the temperature of the coils - I want to know the effect on the strength of the flippers or the timing. If the difference is real this is something that should be easily quantified. Right now this seems to be the fix of the week. Remember last months fix:

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. The left ramp cover seems to be the issue. It’s impeding the progress of the ball to the magnet.
I guess to start strong shots are making it up there but once the flipper power can’t muscle it up there it becomes less consistent.
I took this off and now you have perfect lock shots but they are WAY TOO STRONG.
I had to dial back the flipper power to 200 to not fear that I was going to break optos and plastics from the ball smashing into them.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are working on it. That’s all I’m allowed to say. Haha

I think the main issue is that the TK lock is just a poorly designed mech. Both of us have spent a lot of hours getting our games set up and gone down some dead end roads that initially felt like they might be helping. I initially liked the fan idea and it may have merit, just can't convince myself that the temperature of the flipper coil is really the issue here. If it is an issue it is larger than just this game, and we owe it ourselves to know just how much difference it makes.

#4252 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Might also boil down to play style. From the temp data I gathered over the past week, holds do not raise the max coil temp as high as a lot of flipping.

I'll give you that. Mine got up to about 120F max with play, you describe 157F and it sounds like it may go even higher than that as you were near the limit of your ability to measure it.

#4253 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I'll give you that. Mine got up to about 120F max with play, you describe 157F and it sounds like it may go even higher than that as you were near the limit of your ability to measure it.

Heh, I went OVER the limit of my ability to measure temp with current hardware. 157F is where my probes got off the train. But after setting the baseline for increase of flip vs hold, it was obvious flip made coils hotter than hold, so I was concentrating on flipping as much as possible to get it into a "long game fade" quicker than it would normally happen.

I'm pretty sure you can brute force the fade with a bigger coil like in the LotR days, but that will be stronger for everything from the start just so it's not less strong when it fades. What are the unintended consequences of that? More airballs? More wear faster to targets? Cracked ramp entrances? I think keeping the existing coil design within baseline temp ranges where they perform well consistently is a better plan or I wouldn't have spent the time on it.

I will say that it's frustrating to play the game for temps when I can't get the cooled coils over 95F now without really grinding hard.

#4254 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Having seen the temperature range of an uncooled Spike2 coil now, I'm actually surprised it's not required for tournaments to have cooling to keep the temps in a stable fade-free range. Without it there's no way to guarantee one player isn't playing at a disadvantage to others from too-hot coils that have started to fade. Paying close attention once I knew what to look for, fade on Stranger Things starts in the 130s, gets very noticible in the 140s, and ridiculous in the 150s.

You were a lot more scientific than I was. My measurement was almost burning my finger on the plunger testing temps after the flippers went limp after a marathon Tron game. The Quorra shot would move as the flippers weakened; got annoying.

The first game I ever put fans on was AFM... not that it needed them, but I liked the over-powered-ness of the flippers when they were cold, so installed fans to keep them overpowered. Some stern games are a must. Others don't seem as bad.. JP and TWD fade but not as badly. TSPP benefits from a fan on the right flipper - the garage can get difficult on long games.

#4255 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm pretty sure you can brute force the fade with a bigger coil like in the LotR days

Best example of this would be Capcom flippers. Everything built a tad bigger, they are tanks and have almost no fade.

#4256 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Having seen the temperature range of an uncooled Spike2 coil now, I'm actually surprised it's not required for tournaments to have cooling to keep the temps in a stable fade-free range. Without it there's no way to guarantee one player isn't playing at a disadvantage to others from too-hot coils that have started to fade. Paying close attention once I knew what to look for, fade on Stranger Things starts in the 130s, gets very noticible in the 140s, and ridiculous in the 150s.

(and also to reply following coms on that)

well, may be its pushing things too far... but of course you're right
this aspect is for sure another strategic choice in tournaments you have to qualify on score (and not in VS play)

on my OF, last time i had a long running playing time home, i clearly noticed that after a while it was quite impossible to climb the CC ramp from a static flipper shot (needeed a perfect "on the fly" one)... than let the pin cool down, replay, and it was easy again...

#4257 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I hadn't heard of anyone putting fans in it but maybe they did. If NST plays better will larger coils I'd probably try it. My guess larger coils will also get warmer over time and a fan will keep them cooler

Larger coils have more power (less windings). So when they heat up and fade, they still have more power than the weaker coil. That’s why it fixed the LOTR issue. It’s an alternative to using fans.

And yes it’s a poorly designed mech. It has multiple issues. The cover being one of them. The flipper performance being another. The alignment of the mech being a third. Timing of the diverter arm is probably a fourth. Haha

#4258 3 years ago

Eat this fucking demogorgon (5 balls wide outlane)

96091700-EE9A-4BC0-BF3D-B7EFFAF1B9B5 (resized).jpeg96091700-EE9A-4BC0-BF3D-B7EFFAF1B9B5 (resized).jpeg
#4259 3 years ago

Anyone notice Mystery doesn't light up if you close all the lower lanes while in a mode? I was playing last night and it happened twice. Didn't get credit for the lanes being lit, just reset them. I don't recall if that was the case previously.

#4260 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

Anyone notice Mystery doesn't light up if you close all the lower lanes while in a mode? I was playing last night and it happened twice. Didn't get credit for the lanes being lit, just reset them. I don't recall if that was the case previously.

I haven’t noticed being locked out of lighting mystery at any point.

I have noticed that mystery awards seem to stack up. Meaning if you compete the lanes 4 times (earn two mystery awards) , you can collect mystery twice back to back. I liked that.

#4261 3 years ago
Quoted from JDub03:

You were probably earning the bonus. Mystery lit is awarded every other

#4262 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

You were probably earning the bonus. Mystery lit is awarded every other

Thank you, didn’t realize it was a two x.

#4263 3 years ago

Shooter rod back in stock at Stern Shop.

Where the hell is the side armor??

#4264 3 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Shooter rod back in stock at Stern Shop.
Where the hell is the side armor??

Yes...buy a shooter rod that only lights up in pictures. I'm still waiting for a response to my two emails about why it doesn't light up on my (or anybody else's) machine. It's not in the code yet - that's got to be the reason...the shooter works fine plugged into my JP. If only dinosaurs played Dungeons 'n' Dragons.

#4265 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Might also boil down to play style. From the temp data I gathered over the past week, holds do not raise the max coil temp as high as a lot of flipping.

I have an issue where my flipper really sticks after about 20 minutes. I was going to rebuild the flippers but my wife didn't want the game to be down during the lockdown. She probably has about 400 plays on it. I've been thinking it's time to investigate the issue. Stern told me it could be a potential issue with the coil. Could it possibly be the same issue? I'm not experiencing weakness though.

#4266 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I have an issue where my flipper really sticks after about 20 minutes. I was going to rebuild the flippers but my wife didn't want the game to be down during the lockdown. She probably has about 400 plays on it. I've been thinking it's time to investigate the issue. Stern told me it could be a potential issue with the coil. Could it possibly be the same issue? I'm not experiencing weakness though.

Sounds like the coil stop. Well known issue on recent Sterns, unfortunately

#4267 3 years ago

Yeah I don’t think you have a problem with the coil. The coil stop or the plunger getting prematurely worn is the most likely culprit.

#4268 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I don’t think you have a problem with the coil. The coil stop or the plunger getting prematurely worn is the most likely culprit.

Got it. Was worth asking. I have a bunch of coil stops. I have another game arriving soon. I'm going to try to fix the flipper once the new game arrives. Hopefully, it's that simple. Thanks

#4269 3 years ago

replacing coil stops immediately upon delivery for modern sterns has almost become a requirement.. :-/

#4270 3 years ago

Boy I'm tempted to join the club especially with the LE for sale in the marketplace at $7600. I'd be in if the seller had some feedback. Always hesitate to be the first one to try Pinside sentiment sure seems to have driven the prices way down on this title, but I think the game looks great.

#4271 3 years ago

Yeah they rushed this game out the door and it left lots with really bad first impressions.

I see it going the way of GOT for value and gameplay. The prices for GOT are first cheap for what you’re getting.

#4272 3 years ago

This game will never be accurately represented in the rankings, due to early mechanical criticisms and code issues. I’m telling you, dial in that mech position so that the rod is just far enough from the back of the ramp so that the ball just passes by without touching the plate, and put a few drops of a good lube on the mech linkage in a couple spots, and the TK works fabulously. As it stands with .94 this game is already underrated significantly.

#4273 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Pretty sure this is the coil stop like others have said. It's a 10 minute job, total, if that. I'd swap them out immediately.

#4274 3 years ago

What the hell?!? I'm having the game of my life (ended up being 650 million when my previous high had been around 350 million. I'm on the second Total Isolation. I'm getting jackpots left and right. Eleven is staring at what looks like Castle Byers, the ramp starts to come down, I'm getting excited, not knowing quite what to expect, and then ramp stops half way. What's up with that? Software glitch? There is no malfunction with the ramp. I played a couple of games after where the ramp functioned as normal.

#4275 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

What the hell?!? I'm having the game of my life (ended up being 650 million when my previous high had been around 350 million. I'm on the second Total Isolation. I'm getting jackpots left and right. Eleven is staring at what looks like Castle Byers, the ramp starts to come down, I'm getting excited, not knowing quite what to expect, and then ramp stops half way. What's up with that? Software glitch? There is no malfunction with the ramp. I played a couple of games after where the ramp functioned as normal.

You got to the secret sequel mode to Bullshit, "F-you." It's a lot less charming.

#4276 3 years ago

I haven’t gotten to the super jackpot of TI2 in a while, but I haven’t had any issues with it before. Possible something got introduced in the newer code. That sucks because that SJP is worth a ton!

#4277 3 years ago

I got to it once since new code and ramp dropped as it should, but no way in hell can I hit that things mouth on the fly.

#4278 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I got to it once since new code and ramp dropped as it should, but no way in hell can I hit that things mouth on the fly.

I’ve done it once and it was for around 200mm. Crazy.

#4279 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve done it once and it was for around 200mm. Crazy.

So definitely want to start 2x before that mode.

#4280 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So definitely want to start 2x before that mode.

For sure. Or during it better. That way it’s running when you get to the SJP. You have to hit all 7 shots before it’s ready so it can take a while.

#4281 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I haven’t gotten to the super jackpot of TI2 in a while, but I haven’t had any issues with it before. Possible something got introduced in the newer code. That sucks because that SJP is worth a ton!

Thanks. I'm going to cheat and get back there with the glass off and see if it does it again. I don't feel badly about that since I got there once on my own.

Edit: Just did it. The ramp came all the way down. Maybe I had a ball stuck under there or something, there were so many flying around. Just wanted to clarify that there does not seem to be a glitch as I had previously suspected.

#4282 3 years ago

Finally joined the party!!!

8065BB62-781B-4CFC-A7D9-282B24FB5573 (resized).jpeg8065BB62-781B-4CFC-A7D9-282B24FB5573 (resized).jpeg
#4284 3 years ago

The tip on starting multi during demodog mode has made that mode a lot more fun for me thank you chuckwurt. Having a blast with the machine.

I ordered the shooter rod hopefully they light it up soon, I'm surprised there's nothing on the stern site that says it doesnt light up yet.

#4285 3 years ago
Quoted from Makarov:

The tip on starting multi during demodog mode has made that mode a lot more fun for me thank you chuckwurt. Having a blast with the machine.
I ordered the shooter rod hopefully they light it up soon, I'm surprised there's nothing on the stern site that says it doesnt light up

From what I heard, the shooter rod light is targeted for the next update.

#4286 3 years ago

When someone gets a chance, would you mind posting a picture of the plastic cover on your right ramp? My ST pro did not come with one. Stern was nice enough to send me one, but it's not obvious to me about how to mount it to the ramp. Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

#4287 3 years ago

Is this what you need?

20200619_195938 (resized).jpg20200619_195938 (resized).jpg
#4288 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Is this what you need?
[quoted image]

Yes. Thank you very much. Got it installed.

#4289 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if Cleland’s code works on .94?

Thanks!

#4291 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuxedomask23:

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if Cleland’s code works on .94?
Thanks!

When you modify existing code via a usb update OR replace code via SD card swap you are changing the software version of your game. So technically, yes, you could install Cleland's last img file on a SD card and it would run HIS .86 version. But it would NOT be Stern's .94 anymore. Hope that makes sense

#4292 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

When you modify existing code via a usb update OR replace code via SD card swap you are changing the software version of your game. So technically, yes, you could install Cleland's last img file on a SD card and it would run HIS .86 version. But it would NOT be Stern's .94 anymore. Hope that makes sense

Yup makes sense! Thanks so much! I think I'll just opt for running the .94 for now.

Thanks guys!

#4293 3 years ago

Pretty sure the firmware upgrades to the node board some updates do might make going back a bad idea.

#4294 3 years ago

Hello ST owners! I got this coming this Tuesday. Can't wait to play ST! Any mods I should know about besides Hopper's Blazer? TIA!

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg
#4295 3 years ago

UV kit, subwoofer and speaker light kit.

#4296 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

UV kit, subwoofer and speaker light kit.

Got the first 2 coming also, the translucent slingshot bands too. What are the speaker light options? Thanks! I have seen two but I cannot find the one that circles around.

#4297 3 years ago

You can get the standard kit for a pro or get the upgraded 5.25” speaker light kit for a premium if you got the upgraded speakers or drop that kit right into a LE.

#4298 3 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Hello ST owners! I got this coming this Tuesday. Can't wait to play ST! Any mods I should know about besides Hopper's Blazer? TIA!
[quoted image]

Well, quiet fan kit is the only must-have I've got, but there are some other nice ones to put gradient color in the white inserts, too.

#4299 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You can get the standard kit for a pro or get the upgraded 5.25” speaker light kit for a premium if you got the upgraded speakers or drop that kit right into a LE.

excuse my ignorance, where can see the speaker options? I googled and don't see anything. Thanks!

#4300 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, quiet fan kit is the only must-have I've got, but there are some other nice ones to put gradient color in the white inserts, too.

Where can I look for the Quiet fan kit? I had a KISS Premium and I know what you mean. I got the transparent washers. someone suggested not to get the purple kit protector since I ordered the UV light kit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Rogers, AR
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Trade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 22,204 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 445.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.