StrangerThingsProjectorIssue (resized).jpg
IMG_3491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3383 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3470 (resized).jpeg
A_SSK (resized).jpg
AE99B1FC-2FD4-481F-8B7F-6B7DF79E16DD (resized).jpeg
image_67200769 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,204 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 445.
#2301 4 years ago

Mine works all the time without any adjustments, I have my leg levelers all flat not incline. I think people are screwing around rising up the back legs to much. My demegorgan shot I can get the ball in its mouth probably 50% of the time unless it's a multiball and I am just hitting the flippers without aiming. I think people are screwing around making to many adjustments, people just need to get better. It's like bowling if you can't get a strike do you blame it on the ball or the lane? No just learn how to make the shot. Sorry if this offends people but I am sick of reading all these complaints about i can't make a shot or my ball gate or target decal fell off. If you know anything about restoring and dialing in pinball machines this is all common easy fixes, and happens with all pinball company's new and old.

#2302 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Definitely report it. The more info the better. Make sure you’ve done the pdf checklist items too. That helped me a ton. My issue is flipper power being inconsistent.

This is what it feels like for me too. Sometimes the flipper feels stronger to get it up the ramp.

#2303 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Mine works all the time without any adjustments, I have my leg levelers all flat not incline. I think people are screwing around rising up the back legs to much. My demegorgan shot I can get the ball in its mouth probably 50% of the time unless it's a multiball and I am just hitting the flippers without aiming. I think people are screwing around making to many adjustments, people just need to get better. It's like bowling if you can't get a strike do you blame it on the ball or the lane? No just learn how to make the shot. Sorry if this offends people but I am sick of reading all these complaints about i can't make a shot or my ball gate or target decal fell off. If you know anything about restoring and dialing in pinball machines this is all common easy fixes, and happens with all pinball company's new and old.

Sorry but this isn’t the case for some of us. For some of us the shots actually don’t work and need adjusted. It’s not a pitch issue and people like me have tried everything from flat to super steep and the mechs perform the same.

#2304 4 years ago

I haven’t touched anything. And I looked at that checklist and, as a newcomer to the hobby, have no idea where to even look for the items they are showing. Like figure one. Where the hell is that? Under play field?

#2305 4 years ago

Has anybody got a projector that occasionally just cuts out and won't show anything for a while?

Mine just randomly blanks and doesn't come back until after a reboot.

#2306 4 years ago
Quoted from Bzamborski:

I haven’t touched anything. And I looked at that checklist and, as a newcomer to the hobby, have no idea where to even look for the items they are showing. Like figure one. Where the hell is that? Under play field?

The first pictures are the magnet lock mech on the backboard. Then the next set is the magnet on the backboard.

#2307 4 years ago

Has anybody had problems with the ball lock diverter always being in the way, so balls are rarely able to pass by it unless they've got a lot of pepper on them?

#2308 4 years ago

thanks chuckwurt! Do I need to take the back off somehow to get to that or just lift the playfield to access. Sorry for questions.

#2309 4 years ago
Quoted from Bzamborski:

thanks chuckwurt! Do I need to take the back off somehow to get to that or just lift the playfield to access. Sorry for questions.

The playfield has rails. Lift up the playfield and pull towards you until the rubber feet of the playfield rails are on the lockbar receiver. Then the access to the lock diverter and magnet mechs should be easy.

#2310 4 years ago

Thank you.

#2311 4 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

Has anybody had problems with the ball lock diverter always being in the way, so balls are rarely able to pass by it unless they've got a lot of pepper on them?

If you're talking about the vertical nylon post on the left ramp... the post is probably coming apart as shown at the end of this post. Ask Stern to send you a replacement, they have an improved design that looks like this.

#2312 4 years ago
Quoted from tinyrodent:

If you're talking about the vertical nylon post on the left ramp... the post is probably coming apart as shown at the end of
this post. Ask Stern to send you a replacement, they have an improved design that looks
like this.

Actually I mean the TK lock arm. Probably 9 times out of 10 the ball hangs up on it and can't get past it, then just rolls back down.

#2313 4 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

Has anybody got a projector that occasionally just cuts out and won't show anything for a while?
Mine just randomly blanks and doesn't come back until after a reboot.

Actually, it seems that every time I open the coin door, the projector goes out, and stays out once the door is closed again.

#2314 4 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

Actually, it seems that every time I open the coin door, the projector goes out, and stays out once the door is closed again.

Give it time. It needs to reboot each time the coin door is open and then subsequently closed.

#2315 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Stranger Things indeed[quoted image][quoted image]

Hahaha. Accidentally flashed mine to Munsters the other day!

#2316 4 years ago

Glad to see the UV kits shipping out. Hopefully I get a notification soon as well. So far, my main issue is the demo shot, I'm sure a bit more tweaking, and it will be good.

#2317 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Give it time. It needs to reboot each time the coin door is open and then subsequently closed.

Does that seem preposterous? For some reason it can take between 20 seconds and a couple minutes to reboot sometimes. So if you open the door to fiddle the volume or add a credit, you have to close it and hang out for a few minutes while the projector reboots?

Who on god's earth would design it this way?

#2318 4 years ago
Quoted from triggur:

Does that seem preposterous? For some reason it can take between 20 seconds and a couple minutes to reboot sometimes. So if you open the door to fiddle the volume or add a credit, you have to close it and hang out for a few minutes while the projector reboots?
Who on god's earth would design it this way?

Never taken more than 10-15 seconds for me. You can continue playing and it will come back on.

You can always disable your interlock switch so your projector will never turn off.

#2319 4 years ago

How many times to you need to open your coins door while your playing anyways

#2320 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Not every unit is manufactured the same. I understand that your machine is working as it's supposed to, so hey, good for you! However there are plenty of others that have issues (albeit minor), so saying "mine works great, you're doing it wrong" isn't helping anyone, especially when many members are very knowledge about pinball. With that said, my best guess is the TK ball lock issue is software related because anything less than a lightning hit up the left ramp won't make it in time before the arm activates.

#2321 4 years ago

Stern has confirmed that some machines went out with improperly built ramps that have an incorrect pitch causing the shot to be nearly impossible. They are now producing a kit to fix this problem. Mine is one of those machines.

#2322 4 years ago
Quoted from Acupuncture:

Not every unit is manufactured the same. I understand that your machine is working as it's supposed to, so hey, good for you! However there are plenty of others that have issues (albeit minor), so saying "mine works great, you're doing it wrong" isn't helping anyone, especially when many members are very knowledge about pinball. With that said, my best guess is the TK ball lock issue is software related because anything less than a lightning hit up the left ramp won't make it in time before the arm activates.

Based on hours of experience messing with this on my my own game, a friend who owns it and has also spent a lot of time on it, and watching several different examples streamed there are very few of these TK diverters that work as reliably as they should.

As for the software issue, I think the the idea behind it is that the diverter goes down quickly so a slow or weak shot that would not make it up the diverter can still make it around the loop (instead of sliding back doing the ramp and risking a SDTM drain which also happens too much). Thus, at least in theory, the diverter could act like the pro in this situation. I agree that there can be timing issues, but in the current code there is no way to adjust this. I sent an email to Stern about it previously, so maybe we will see some software changes to address this. Also several of us feel that the flippers get a little weaker with time making it much more difficult to make the TK lock after 30 minutes or so of play. It is possible this could be fixed in software, but I doubt that is entirely a software issue.

That said there are clearly mechanical issues here also. Tight turns have the potential to lose a lot of kinetic energy and the ball takes ~100 deg turn right before the diverter. The diverter works by essentially contacting the edge of the ball and pushing it against the flexible plastic ramp on the opposite side. This design has the potential for a lot of the kinetic energy to be lost due to deformation of the plastic ramp rather than the ball going up the ramp and there is no official way to adjust the position where the diverter enters the ramp which seems critical. Furthermore, if the ball enters on the inside of the turn more kinetic energy will be lost to the back wall of the plastic ramp. Unfortunately, the design does not make any provisions to adjust the position where the diverter enters the ramp. Even according to the Stern document, the diverter needs to be positioned with very tight tolerances (1/32") and at least on mine it would frequently move after a few games - this again may be related to large forces on the diverter due to the ball pinching action. I've solved this motion issue with tooth lock washers.

Overall I feel like everything has to be just right for the diverter to work, and even when I can get my game to that point it is very hard to keep it there. I hope Stern comes up with some kind of official remedy for this.

#2323 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Based on hours of experience messing with this on my my own game, a friend who owns it and has also spent a lot of time on it, and watching several different examples streamed there are very few of these TK diverters that work as reliably as they should.
As for the software issue, I think the the idea behind it is that the diverter goes down quickly so a slow or weak shot that would not make it up the diverter can still make it around the loop (instead of sliding back doing the ramp and risking a SDTM drain which also happens too much). Thus, at least in theory, the diverter could act like the pro in this situation. I agree that there can be timing issues, but in the current code there is no way to adjust this. I sent an email to Stern about it previously, so maybe we will see some software changes to address this. Also several of us feel that the flippers get a little weaker with time making it much more difficult to make the TK lock after 30 minutes or so of play. It is possible this could be fixed in software, but I doubt that is entirely a software issue.
That said there are clearly mechanical issues here also. Tight turns have the potential to lose a lot of kinetic energy and the ball takes ~100 deg turn right before the diverter. The diverter works by essentially contacting the edge of the ball and pushing it against the flexible plastic ramp on the opposite side. This design has the potential for a lot of the kinetic energy to be lost due to deformation of the plastic ramp rather than the ball going up the ramp and there is no official way to adjust the position where the diverter enters the ramp which seems critical. Furthermore, if the ball enters on the inside of the turn more kinetic energy will be lost to the back wall of the plastic ramp. Unfortunately, the design does not make any provisions to adjust the position where the diverter enters the ramp. Even according to the Stern document, the diverter needs to be positioned with very tight tolerances (1/32") and at least on mine it would frequently move after a few games - this again may be related to large forces on the diverter due to the ball pinching action. I've solved this motion issue with tooth lock washers.
Overall I feel like everything has to be just right for the diverter to work, and even when I can get my game to that point it is very hard to keep it there. I hope Stern comes up with some kind of official remedy for this.

What I can’t figure out is why didn’t they add a drop down ramp flap or physically raise the ramp and it hold instead of fire based off the ramp entrance switch

#2324 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

This is extremely well written and I echo everything there. I spent about two hours last night adjusting mine with a buddy shooting it over and over again. We got it dialed and locked about 20 balls straight.

Kept playing and shortly after couldn’t get any to lock, it was like everything got knocked out of adjustment just by playing the game. It’s extremely frustrating l, I might just disable my diverter for the time being and go to virtual locks.

#2325 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Kept playing and shortly after couldn’t get any to lock, it was like everything got knocked out of adjustment just by playing the game. It’s extremely frustrating l, I might just disable my diverter for the time being and go to virtual locks.

I can almost guarantee you it’s you flipper power. Let the game sit for a day and see if everything seems good again.

#2326 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

What I can’t figure out is why didn’t they add a drop down ramp flap or physically raise the ramp and it hold instead of fire based off the ramp entrance switch

I agree, diverters not a new idea, and there are already a lot of reliable designs out there. This isn't one of them

Quoted from Dr-Willy:

This is extremely well written and I echo everything there. I spent about two hours last night adjusting mine with a buddy shooting it over and over again. We got it dialed and locked about 20 balls straight.

Yeah, I've had this same experience but multiply it by a few nights. A few of us including chuckwurt have noticed that we try something then it seems improved for a while only to have it to back to being problematic after a few games.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can almost guarantee you it’s you flipper power. Let the game sit for a day and see if everything seems good again.

I agree and think the flipper might get subtly weaker over time, enough so it is no longer possible to make the ramp with the TK diverter. I've even rebuilt my right flipper to see if that helped (it didn't) and I know you've tried the same. I've emailed Stern about this but haven't gotten any response.

#2327 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

How many times to you need to open your coins door while your playing anyways

Yeah go ahead keep rubbing it in! Haha. Some of us have games that don’t work right, and we’ve had to do tons of trial and error to help try and diagnose our issues.

Enjoy your perfectly working game! It’s a good one.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I did. Turned it off over night and came back this morning and tried and reject city. Perhaps a coil upgrade is needed but that seems like brake city for drop targets.

#2329 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I did. Turned it off over night and came back this morning and tried and reject city. Perhaps a coil upgrade is needed but that seems like brake city for drop targets.

I've been curious about a coil upgrade but am reluctant to do it with how easy it seems to blow Stern's node boards.

Also, if you are noticing issues even with the game has been off for a while check and see if your TK diverter is still within tolerance. Mine would slip a lot after a few games before I put lock washers on it.

#2330 4 years ago

I agree. If it has no improvement after extended periods of the game being off, something slipped out of adjustment.

#2331 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I've been curious about a coil upgrade but am reluctant to do it with how easy it seems to blow Stern's node boards.
Also, if you are noticing issues even with the game has been off for a while check and see if your TK diverter is still within tolerance. Mine would slip a lot after a few games before I put lock washers on it.

I’m going to get some plastic rod and cut it to the sizes for measuring the tolerances easier. All my measuring tools are metal and as soon as I try and see what distances are the magnet grabs it haha.

Where did you put the lock washers? On the four bolts holding the coil on the back panel?

#2332 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I’m going to get some plastic rod and cut it to the sizes for measuring the tolerances easier. All my measuring tools are metal and as soon as I try and see what distances are the magnet grabs it haha.
Where did you put the lock washers? On the four bolts holding the coil on the back panel?

Yeah I cut an aluminum stand off to 0.80" for this purpose. I put the lock washers on the four bolts that go through the slots on the back. I used tooth lock washers with the teeth on the outside, otherwise it is hard to get much metal to metal contact.

#2333 4 years ago

I just received a shipment notification for my Stern UV kit, so I guess I should be getting it soon.

Looking forward to checking it out!

#2334 4 years ago
09529077-0C91-40D5-A76D-473C05BE23FD (resized).jpeg09529077-0C91-40D5-A76D-473C05BE23FD (resized).jpeg
#2335 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I just received a shipment notification for my Stern UV kit, so I guess I should be getting it soon.
Looking forward to checking it out!

Got mine today also, sounds like they are starting the ship the prem/LE kits

#2338 4 years ago

Notification received.
3/9/2020 can’t get here soon enough

#2339 4 years ago

has anyone else seen where the left drop post hits the ball regularly on its way popping back up? mine does it most of the time, which leads to the ball bouncing down the alley and random landing spot. when the ball rolls out of the alley smoothly, it is very consistent and playable.

#2340 4 years ago

Finally got a Total Isolation mode! What a rush!!

E0811E30-5834-46FA-8169-A0B60D0A1512 (resized).jpegE0811E30-5834-46FA-8169-A0B60D0A1512 (resized).jpeg
#2341 4 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Finally got a Total Isolation mode! What a rush!![quoted image]

Incredible game for only getting to the first total isolation. Well done!

#2342 4 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

has anyone else seen where the left drop post hits the ball regularly on its way popping back up? mine does it most of the time, which leads to the ball bouncing down the alley and random landing spot. when the ball rolls out of the alley smoothly, it is very consistent and playable.

Saw this on a location pro recently. Not sure why the post was doing that some times. Maybe make sure there’s nothing obstructing the balls path.

Try putting the game into switch test and repeatedly put the ball there and watch it closely. Might show you something.

#2343 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

My UV kit landed!

Are you going to stream it?

#2344 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Are you going to stream it?

Maybe. Haha. Won’t be til next Sunday. Going to LAX this weekend.

#2345 4 years ago

What an absolute prick.

22DDAE42-80D6-4127-873D-156CA5AC3DCC (resized).jpeg22DDAE42-80D6-4127-873D-156CA5AC3DCC (resized).jpeg
#2346 4 years ago

According to machine I had 1 inner loop left for light extra ball.

Then I lost my ball.

Then I hit it 8 more times and it didnt light or register anything with new ball. Weird.

#2347 4 years ago
E36BB3F6-44C5-40AD-B12C-A329B6480896 (resized).jpegE36BB3F6-44C5-40AD-B12C-A329B6480896 (resized).jpeg
#2348 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

[quoted image]

Its after 11 (or 10 depending on where in ky). . . .why isnt that installed yet

#2349 4 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

Its after 11 (or 10 depending on where in ky). . . .why isnt that installed yet

Too sleepy after a local tournament. Haha. Gotta work a crazy long day tomorrow.

#2350 4 years ago

Got to play the pro the other night and actually enjoyed the pin. Definitely needs a more polished code, but very enjoyable shots. I think this game will be a sleeper like IM and be popular later.
Congrats to those who bought.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods
Plastics
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 22,204 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 445.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/47?hl=bzamborski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.