IMG_3764 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).png
20240410_201325.jpg
abba tk lock (resized).jpg
IMG_3111 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3109 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,391 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 448.
#2051 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I always take a small punch and hammer it out gently from the underside.

Very carefully use a punch, could pop the clear coat on the topside otherwise.
Best to unthread it with 1/4" deep socket.

#2052 4 years ago

Ok, here’s the sob story. I went all in on Stranger Things and more or less ordered an LE sight unseen. Stranger Things is a dream them for me and my previous Sterns I’ve waited until I’m happy with what I’m seeing. I only did the impulse buy before with Tron, another dream theme. Near enough did the same with Star Wars, but I still can’t get over that game. Anyhow, reports were starting to pour in of the projector. Completely washed out. Reports of “it looks better in person” was some of the paid commentary. It does NOT look better in person. What you see is what you get. This is my only beef I have with this game. I had other griefs about some shots being shitty and what not but as code keeps dropping all will be forgiven in the end. My game plays near perfect now.

This post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/85#post-5400822 speaks of a canvas type called Black Diamond. This YouTube video teaches you how to sell it in 2 seconds.

Seeing is believing, as my teaser post showed (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/38#post-5480839).

I was going to wait until someone came up with a kit you could simply buy, but this shit can’t wait, it looks awful! I sourced some of that Black Diamond (be creative, it’s easy to track down) and got some 3M adhesive sheets, a corner cutter and some supplies, like scalpels and knives. I cut out all the targets at first but it turns out that the BD material does not reflect at a certain angle and completely washes out the image. This also holds true to the viewing angle as well, it’s a little bit like an old TFT, but slightly better. So, I simply replaced all the flat surfaces on my game (it goes without saying, the ramps are not applicable). The material is very easy to work with and comes mounted on a .5mm plastic sheet of some sorts. It also seems very durable. I put some mylar on it just to see what it looked like but it did not work because mylar is glossy. Matte floor graphics vinyl is my next approach if the target surfaces wear down. I also replaced the left ramp billboard, it washes out in the angle towards the main billboard so be aware of that if you try this at home. Using alcohol on the projection surface is no problem either.

Does Black Diamond improve the visual quality? The brighter the room, the better it looks in comparison. The game emits a LOT of ambient light, I have my inserts turned down as much as I can and I also turn down the backglass to a minimum while playing. I’m happy with the results as the image does not have the white washed out image anymore and this time around it actually does look better in person, believe it or not!

I recorded in two different light settings, the first one is with the light I play my games in, ambient light is mostly from other machines. The other setting, a couple of minutes into the video, is with my shop lights on, which is insanely bright and no sane person would play pinball in that light, but it gives you an idea what Black Diamond is capable of.

Enjoy!

Added over 4 years ago:

After some tinkering with the Black Diamond I discover that the material rejects light differently when you rotate it 90 degrees. Pay attention to this before you start cutting. I had to redo all my standups and one of the drops for this reason.

Added over 4 years ago:

I used this adhesive for the black diamond: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D17INAS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00
I used this adhesive to stick the white spacers to the standups: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BK8PHZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00
This is the corner cutter I used (size S): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076FJ7SS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00
Here's the knife/scalpel set I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DRKZNP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

#2053 4 years ago

Has anyone seen the "Video mode" as part of the mystery award list yet?

#2054 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Ok, here’s the sob story. I went all in on Stranger Things and more or less ordered an LE sight unseen. Stranger Things is a dream them for me and my previous Sterns I’ve waited until I’m happy with what I’m seeing. I only did the impulse buy before with Tron, another dream theme. Near enough did the same with Star Wars, but I still can’t get over that game. Anyhow, reports were starting to pour in of the projector. Completely washed out. Reports of “it looks better in person” was some of the paid commentary. It does NOT look better in person. What you see is what you get. This is my only beef I have with this game. I had other griefs about some shots being shitty and what not but as code keeps dropping all will be forgiven in the end. My game plays near perfect now.
This post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/85#post-5400822 speaks of a canvas type called Black Diamond. This YouTube video teaches you how to sell it in 2 seconds.

Seeing is believing, as my teaser post showed (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/38#post-5480839).
I was going to wait until someone came up with a kit you could simply buy, but this shit can’t wait, it looks awful! I sourced some of that Black Diamond (be creative, it’s easy to track down) and got some 3M adhesive sheets, a corner cutter and some supplies, like scalpels and knives. I cut out all the targets at first but it turns out that the BD material does not reflect at a certain angle and completely washes out the image. This also holds true to the viewing angle as well, it’s a little bit like an old TFT, but slightly better. So, I simply replaced all the flat surfaces on my game (it goes without saying, the ramps are not applicable). The material is very easy to work with and comes mounted on a .5mm plastic sheet of some sorts. It also seems very durable. I put some mylar on it just to see what it looked like but it did not work because mylar is glossy. Matte floor graphics vinyl is my next approach if the target surfaces wear down. I also replaced the left ramp billboard, it washes out in the angle towards the main billboard so be aware of that if you try this at home. Using alcohol on the projection surface is no problem either.
Does Black Diamond improve the visual quality? The brighter the room, the better it looks in comparison. The game emits a LOT of ambient light, I have my inserts turned down as much as I can and I also turn down the backglass to a minimum while playing. I’m happy with the results as the image does not have the white washed out image anymore and this time around it actually does look better in person, believe it or not!
I recorded in two different light settings, the first one is with the light I play my games in, ambient light is mostly from other machines. The other setting, a couple of minutes into the video, is with my shop lights on, which is insanely bright and no sane person would play pinball in that light, but it gives you an idea what Black Diamond is capable of.
Enjoy!

May I ask how much of the black diamond it took to do the areas you did, and how much it cost you. Only thing I can think to do is go to the supposed local shop that is listed on their website and ask for some samples of it and then cut it.

#2055 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Enjoy!

Where do you buy the black diamond at? I think even if you did just the main screen alone it’s worth it. The targets like you said we will have to see over time if they can hold up

#2056 4 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Very carefully use a punch, could pop the clear coat on the topside otherwise.
Best to unthread it with 1/4" deep socket.

I like this answer for sure. My game was SUPER tight, seemed like it would chip something if I had forced it.

#2057 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Slightly off-topic, but, hanging out with Mike Vinikour in San Jose, CA!

Revelation records eh? Never heard of them

#2058 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Revelation records eh? Never heard of them

Your handle suggests your either a fan or member of GB?

#2059 4 years ago

Key post! Thank you for posting. It’s a shame stern didn’t do this. Then again it’s a shame stern made a lot of bad choices with this pin.

If you have a link where the material can be purchased, that would help!

Quoted from dri:

Enjoy!

#2060 4 years ago

dri do you know if the sample you received was the black diamond xl, 1.4 or .8

#2061 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

dri do you know if the sample you received was the black diamond xl, 1.4 or .8

#2062 4 years ago

Thanks! im going to try and get a sample of this and the slate .8 and see if either make a diff as far as viewing angle.

#2063 4 years ago

My game is sitting at the depot, will be grabbing it on the way home from work. Can't wait to set it up tonight.

#2064 4 years ago

Stern is sending me a ramp kit. Hopefully this will let me ditch my elastic band. Haha

#2065 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stern is sending me a ramp kit. Hopefully this will let me ditch my espadrille band. Haha

Did you contact stern direct or go through your distributor?

#2066 4 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Did you contact stern direct or go through your distributor?

Direct. Trent told me to email Chas. They need pictures of the sides of your demo ramp address and SN

#2067 4 years ago

I got my new ramp on Friday.. unfortunately, I did not have time to tear down and replace it. Just looking at it though, there's a huge pitch difference!

#2068 4 years ago

Is this black diamond going to hold up to a steel ball hitting it, if so might be the answer. I see online there is a grey screen that looks good also

#2069 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Is this black diamond going to hold up to a steel ball hitting it

I'll let you know a few hundred games down the road. It's surprisingly durable so far.

#2070 4 years ago
Quoted from cuebert:

I got my new ramp on Friday.. unfortunately, I did not have time to tear down and replace it. Just looking at it though, there's a huge pitch difference!

Did you get a kit or just a ramp? My ramp came and it didn’t even have decals on it! There are more issues as well, but stern said they would fix it and send me a kit.

#2071 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

I'll let you know a few hundred games down the road. It's surprisingly durable so far.

I’m pretty much ok with just doing the main screen

#2072 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Thanks! im going to try and get a sample of this and the slate .8 and see if either make a diff as far as viewing angle.

Great! Could somebody please tell us WHERE THE HELL YOU'RE BUYING SMALL AMOUNTS OF THIS STUFF??? What's with all the secrecy?

I mean, I called Black Diamond but got their voice mail. Do you have to get it through a dealer? Because I'm pretty sure the guy at Best Buy will look at me like someone hit him over the head with a Louisville Slugger if I go in there asking for a 1'x1' piece of projection screen.

Also, dri , did you paste it right over the white screen, or remove the white screen gently so as not to ruin it (or replace it again if the BD stuff didn't work out)?

So many questions...so few answers.

#2073 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I’m pretty much ok with just doing the main screen

I’m mostly interested with improving the ramp projections. Those are the only ones that seem washed out on mine. But that might be a projector and orientation issue instead of the screen.

#2074 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Great! Could somebody please tell us WHERE THE HELL YOU'RE BUYING SMALL AMOUNTS OF THIS STUFF??? What's with all the secrecy?
I mean, I called Black Diamond but got their voice mail. Do you have to get it through a dealer? Because I'm pretty sure the guy at Best Buy will look at me like someone hit him over the head with a Louisville Slugger if I go in there asking for a 1'x1' piece of projection screen.
Also, dri , did you paste it right over the white screen, or remove the white screen gently so as not to ruin it (or replace it again if the BD stuff didn't work out)?

This

#2075 4 years ago

Scoring help. Can I get some strategy to score higher on this game. I can seem to hit 80-100 easy and my high is 150. I feel like I am missing some strategy. Sometimes my multi ball is worthless and even worse 2 ball mulitball.

#2076 4 years ago

Play the modes and try to get to total isolation as often as you can. Points are big there. Also get good at playing the demo modes. If your demo is makable, you can get hundreds of millions after playing the first three of those demogorgon modes.

Remember that extra balls come from the burn it back loops and completing modes. Keep doing those regularly to get those extra balls. With practice you can get 1-3 EBs most games.

Also work on getting better at the multiball.

#2077 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Did you get a kit or just a ramp? My ramp came and it didn’t even have decals on it! There are more issues as well, but stern said they would fix it and send me a kit.

I only got the ramp as well.. I thought someone mentioned a kit, so I'll follow up with Stern as well to verify. thanks for the heads up!

#2078 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm not giving up my source of the material as I got my samples for free and I'm pretty certain their business is not setup to deal with Pinside.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I removed the the white stickers, there's no gentle way to remove them. Glue was a pain in the ass to remove. Razor and "Goo Gone" took care of it. I'm sure Stern will sell you new white canvas if you need to go back for some weird reason.

#2079 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think right now everyone should hold tight and wait a little bit on this until dri and myself can prove its going to hold up over time. My premium is shipping this week, and hopefully i can get these samples on my game before it heads out to location. Id say let me beta test this on location, make sure its going to hold up and then ill let everyone know. No point in everyone doing this only to find out its not going to last over time.

#2080 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I think right now everyone should hold tight and wait a little bit on this until dri and myself can prove its going to hold up over time. My premium is shipping this week, and hopefully i can get these samples on my game before it heads out to location. Id say let me beta test this on location, make sure its going to hold up and then ill let everyone know. No point in everyone doing this only to find out its not going to last over time.

I think it’s fine to put on the main screen as it sees no wear. It’s fine if you guys plan to market it as a mod but to share the info then go well hold on wait you can’t get it pretty much makes me say fuck it I’ll just deal with my current set up if it’s giant ordeal to get details.

#2081 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Enjoy!

Now THAT is impressive. Pinside to the rescue. Nice work. Def a must have imo. Really makes a difference.

#2082 4 years ago

It's also worth noting Screen Innovations is not the only player in that space. This is coming up on 4 years old so a bit outdated but covers a large range of companies/products dealing with projection material that reduces the effect of ambient light https://www.projectorcentral.com/ambient-light-rejection-screens-2.htm. Some may be easier to source samples from than others.

#2083 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Enjoy!

So awesome.

This is exactly why I brought this up in the other thread and questioned why Stern would use the material they did. They should have went with a grey material at the minimum and especially this stuff. Big difference.. had they gone with the right material from the beginning, they could have had it on the ramps and it would have looked better darker than the whited out ramps there now.

#2084 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I think it’s fine to put on the main screen as it sees no wear. It’s fine if you guys plan to market it as a mod but to share the info then go well hold on wait you can’t get it pretty much makes me say fuck it I’ll just deal with my current set up if it’s giant ordeal to get details.

Guys there is no secret voodoo. This stuff isn't for sale online in little bits, and its so expensive (the way the sell it in giant sheets for wall projectors) there is no way someone is going to beable to sell this as a mod and make it profitable (and i have no interest in selling any mods anyway i already work a day job and am an operator on the side). All you can do is reach out to the audio/video places around you and see if they are a dealer and have any samples they can share with you. This is what i did, and I'm sure this is what dri did. We aren't trying to withhold information, our information isn't going to be helpful to anyone who isn't in our immediate area. Local places aren't going to ship samples across the US. I started poking around online and did find out other companies make something similar, but i didn't go to far down that rabbit hole due to luckily having a local place that sold the black diamond stuff.

Like i said before I'm not personally going to say everyone should track this stuff down until i try it and see what its like/how it holds up, if you guys want to tear apart your machines and go for it then thats cool, but it may end up being a huge miss and waste of time (talking long term). If my samples do end up coming through like I'm hoping I will pick which one of the two materials i ask for samples of that I like better and im more then happy to send the one i don't use onto someone else.

#2085 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Guys there is no secret voodoo. This stuff isn't for sale online in little bits, and its so expensive (the way the sell it in giant sheets for wall projectors) there is no way someone is going to beable to sell this as a mod and make it profitable (and i have no interest in selling any mods anyway i already work a day job and am an operator on the side). All you can do is reach out to the audio/video places around you and see if they are a dealer and have any samples they can share with you. This is what i did, and I'm sure this is what dri did. We aren't trying to withhold information, our information isn't going to be helpful to anyone who isn't in our immediate area. Local places aren't going to ship samples across the US. I started poking around online and did find out other companies make something similar, but i didn't go to far down that rabbit hole due to luckily having a local place that sold the black diamond stuff.
Like i said before I'm not personally going to say everyone should track this stuff down until i try it and see what its like/how it holds up, if you guys want to tear apart your machines and go for it then thats cool, but it may end up being a huge miss and waste of time (talking long term). If my samples do end up coming through like I'm hoping I will pick which one of the two materials i ask for samples of that I like better and im more then happy to send the one i don't use onto someone else.

Black diamond swaths. Coming to you next. Via Pinside Market

#2086 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Black diamond swaths. Coming to you next. Via Pinside Market

Honestly if someone can figure out how to make that happen then more power to them. I don’t have the time or the energy haha.

#2087 4 years ago

I have the material.

These pictures just show it taped up. Thinking it would look even better when it’s installed permanently.

It makes the blacks much deeper with better contrast.

I’m thinking main ramp, drops, and ramp sides only.

I can mail a couple out for people that want to try it. Stuff isn’t cheap but I’m thinking one square foot should be enough. Probably $10

Pm me for details

6FFCBD9B-7DBF-4547-B2BD-D60C6A620647 (resized).jpeg6FFCBD9B-7DBF-4547-B2BD-D60C6A620647 (resized).jpeg8319C75A-963B-434D-B23A-E16F0D42F6E1 (resized).jpeg8319C75A-963B-434D-B23A-E16F0D42F6E1 (resized).jpeg8A75541A-D783-4116-BE52-FCCED41E4ABE (resized).jpeg8A75541A-D783-4116-BE52-FCCED41E4ABE (resized).jpegEE67A1BD-6208-49B3-A369-55851DFDBF60 (resized).jpegEE67A1BD-6208-49B3-A369-55851DFDBF60 (resized).jpeg58CBB953-4943-48F8-8749-146B1E0BE41C (resized).jpeg58CBB953-4943-48F8-8749-146B1E0BE41C (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2088 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I have the material.
These pictures just show it taped up. Thinking it would look even better when it’s installed permanently.
It makes the blacks much deeper with better contrast.
I’m thinking main ramp, drops, and ramp sides only.
I can mail a couple out for people that want to try it. Stuff isn’t cheap but I’m thinking one square foot should be enough. Probably $10
Pm me for details[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

RIP your inbox haha. Very cool, I figured someone on here was an AVS guy and would come through. Stuff looks great.

#2089 4 years ago

The emails are coming in. I’m going to put together 20 packages to send out. If the demand is greater then I will do more.

Here’s the details:
- send me an email through pinside
- include your mailing address

Send $15 to:
PayPal (friends and family)
[email protected]

- I will send one square foot
- flat packed
- usps standard mail

I have ordered a new plotter as well. When that comes in I will be able to cut the vinyl exactly to size and you can install it directly over the existing material. For now, simply cut it to fit.

DO NOT REMOVE THE ORIGINAL WHITE!!!

#2090 4 years ago

Just so everyone is clear...

This is not Black Diamond. It is a high mill, self healing, adhesive vinyl. It is very expensive material and it definitely does the job. It is very easy to work with and install.

#2091 4 years ago

Gratuitous shot of after leaving the depot.
FA4F843C-5755-4FA8-B07B-C71851A020BB (resized).jpegFA4F843C-5755-4FA8-B07B-C71851A020BB (resized).jpeg

#2092 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Your handle suggests your either a fan or member of GB?

Just a fan. DRI was my first choice but it was taken!

Back on topic: nice work on that projector mod. Mike seems cool too, think he was rocking a snapcase hoodie on some random Stern stream.

#2093 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

The emails are coming in. I’m going to put together 20 packages to send out. If the demand is greater then I will do more.
Here’s the details:
- send me an email through pinside
- include your mailing address
Send $15 to:
PayPal (friends and family)
[email protected]
- I will send one square foot
- flat packed
- usps standard mail
I have ordered a new plotter as well. When that comes in I will be able to cut the vinyl exactly to size and you can install it directly over the existing material. For now, simply cut it to fit.
DO NOT REMOVE THE ORIGINAL WHITE!!!

corvair61 I sent email and money through paypal. Looks great.

#2094 4 years ago
Quoted from IPlay4Profit:

corvair61 I sent email and money through paypal. Looks great.

I did also, thanks

#2095 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Mike seems cool too, think he was rocking a snapcase hoodie on some random Stern stream.

Indeed he did! I remember that now when you mentioned it! I was hoping GB was going to play at Punk Rock Bowl this year but they're not. I guess I'm gonna have to go up to SF and see them next month.

#2096 4 years ago

Almost there.

53E4653C-341F-428B-9D3B-A2148E5C88ED (resized).jpeg53E4653C-341F-428B-9D3B-A2148E5C88ED (resized).jpeg
#2097 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Play the modes and try to get to total isolation as often as you can. Points are big there. Also get good at playing the demo modes. If your demo is makable, you can get hundreds of millions after playing the first three of those demogorgon modes.
Remember that extra balls come from the burn it back loops and completing modes. Keep doing those regularly to get those extra balls. With practice you can get 1-3 EBs most games.
Also work on getting better at the multiball.

Yeah I usually get 2x plyfld once and one extra ball in a good game. I usually start with burn it back to get my spell the. I go for locks and multiball

#2098 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakecamp:

Play the modes and try to get to total isolation as often as you can.

My scoring tactic is to shoot every chapter twice to have every mode ready and always start with telekinesis. When you come out of MB you usually have completed the mode and you're only one shot from starting the next. I've only gotten TI a handful of times but I don't play with EBs on. I've landed a 500M game where the bulk was telekinesis, 2-ball vagmonster, TI combined with 100M+ in bonus. That game also had a 40+ combo which I think added some.

#2099 4 years ago

Always be burning it back. Whether it’s to relight outlane save or get 2x playfield, something good is three shots away.

#2100 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

TI combined with 100M+ in bonus.

You got this on .85? Impressive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Trade
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 22,391 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 448.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.