IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).png
20240410_201325.jpg
abba tk lock (resized).jpg
IMG_3111 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3108 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider c0untdem0net.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

829 posts in this topic match your search for posts by c0untdem0net. You are on page 3 of 4.
#9986 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I was afraid of that. I hope my Ulek protectors come soon. This would be my first new Stern without a spare set - LOTR, MET and JP all had them.

I have had three new in box machines in the last 2 years and none of them came with the slingshot plastics. Key fobs and target stickers is all that I got

#9995 2 years ago

I swapped out the glow in the dark titans for the purple pinball life ones yesterday. Game is a lot bouncier now it's crazy. Took me a number of games to get used to it. Also put the larger ring under the ring by the launch exit. Made a huge difference. Now those sloppy shots that snuck down the middle are bouncing the left flipper. Game feels much more controlled now. I replaced all of the rubber on the lower half of the machine and highly recommend it. Does make the outlanes a little too easy. Will probably move it back from center to top for that. The reaction to the uv light is also pretty awesome. The more stretched rings glow more than the less stretched ones but it's a really cool effect. I also got the purple post rubbers to replace next time I take the ramp apart.

I have the pinball life shaker in my game and over the last few days I've noticed it is starting to squeak. It's only a few weeks old. Has anyone ran into this and is there a fix? Gonna email pinball life here in a bit about it. Really annoying and it's definitely coming from the shaker. I turned it off and no more squeaks.

#10002 2 years ago

The launch exit rubber is not in the stranger things manual. I believe it is 3/16" Post Rubber. I also bought a 5/16" Bumper Post Ring to go below it. It's kinda hard to get a good pic of it but I do think I like it better than the glow in the dark. It took a lot of getting used to with the kinda white/green color on the flipper. The purple looks much better when the uv is off IMHO

IMG_20210503_123138572_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_123138572_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_123147762 (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_123147762 (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_124028912_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_124028912_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_124032780 (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_124032780 (resized).jpg
#10010 2 years ago

It's a great machine to practice post passing on as it is more difficult than others. I find most of Brian Eddy's machines are this way for me. Been practicing a lot and I can get it pretty consistently on it now and even used it in league on an AFM and MM a few weeks ago. I used to find those impossible. Thanks to these games my Borg machines are a breeze to post pass on.

#10022 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What kind of GC scores are you guys getting?

[quoted image]

1.6 billion is my high score currently. That's a good score.

#10023 2 years ago

Those posts under the demo were bothering me. Mine looked like they were nearly ripped in half. Took a lot to get at them but taking the opportunity to clean and do adjustments.

IMG_20210503_181826286_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_181826286_HDR (resized).jpg
#10029 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

yes, this is really annoying... I think they did not expect the drop targets to damage the posts like this... I was thinking of maybe using a Dremel to round the corners off, that way by ridding of the pointy part of the drop target, it will not damage the posts.
thoughts?

The drops don't touch the posts on my machine. The ball had eaten a line in the stock stern hard plastic sleeves. My pirates has the same line which I'll be replacing soon. Those look worse to get at than stranger things. I also did some work to guardians tonight. That game had maintenance in mind in the design process. Super easy to work on.

#10035 2 years ago

the lines are created by the corner of the drop that bend when they get hit at high speed. There is nothing else that can chew the post like that... if you pay attention play 2-5 games and look at your brand new posts, you will see a pin size hole... the post continues to rotate with every hit (the drop down target catches it moves it around) and the following hits make what it looks like a perfect line.

I'll check that since I have it apart. They look like they are far enough away but definitely sounds plausible. I have the same marks on my pirates posts in the tortuga thing though which is why I figured just ball damage.

#10054 2 years ago

yes, this is really annoying... I think they did not expect the drop targets to damage the posts like this... I was thinking of maybe using a Dremel to round the corners off, that way by ridding of the pointy part of the drop target, it will not damage the posts.
thoughts?

After checking closely I think you are right about this. The nicks in the hard plastic sleeves are little lines and not standard ball wear you would see with age. It will be interesting to see if the softer pinball life ones damage quicker due to this or not.

#10058 2 years ago

I went ahead and rounded mine off a bit. Just used an X-Acto knife and took the corner off. In my inspection of everything I noticed dimples under the ramp flap lol. That ball must have been hitting it super hard

IMG_20210504_130721045_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210504_130721045_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210504_131056215_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210504_131056215_HDR (resized).jpg
#10060 2 years ago

I noticed the same with Titans. The pinball life ones are much better so far for me and play more like the standard flipper rubbers. The slings and other ones though are a lot bouncier but that will change as they get older.

I've kept my flipper power at full strength for both. Dial in the demo for that and get the fans. This is not a game you want less power on lol

#10066 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Thanks Chuck. I can look at dropping the left a hair but I suppose the correct fix would be through software by holding that up-post down an extra fraction of a second.

Does anyone know how to adjust that mystery up post? The mech design is not in the manual and it's very different from the standard up posts like the left ramp ball lock. I don't see any way to adjust it other than to shim it. Mine is hitting the ball about 20% of the time as well.

IMG_20210504_153100659_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210504_153100659_HDR (resized).jpg
#10086 2 years ago

This game can be a handful for sure. Going thru a bit of an annoyed state with it. Trying to get the left and right orbits dialed in and it is not easy. The right orbit rail on mine doesn't move at all so there really is no adjustment available for the rail. Only physical adjustment I can make is small variations on the one way gate coming out of the ball launch. That leaves me with left-right level but changing that undoes the left orbit adjustment to not hit the sling. There is more wiggle room on the left rail but not enough to really change where it is hitting the sling.

Hey at least I have the left kicker going all the way around the orbit from time to time now. Never could get that in the past lol.

It's one of those things where you have the machine playing the way you know it for months and then screw with it and it feels all wrong. I just wanted to get rid of having to nudge the machine coming out of the mystery and make the right orbit a bit easier for newbies to the game but feel like I've gone and screwed it all up lol.

I'll get at it tomorrow and hopefully sort all this out.

#10097 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you’re having problems with the orbit feeds to the flippers, please include the playfield angle in your post. Mine is fine at 6.5 degrees, but any steeper and I do start to see the ball hit the slings. No QA problems to speak of here, but I know from my experience with MET that the first 50-100 games are more likely to have problems.

On my game that's a hard number lol. I'm at 6.7 at the drops and 6.56 at the flippers. Seems I have a bit of a bow in mine lengthwise. All of my machines have this variation though.

#10121 2 years ago

So, spent a ton of time trying different things to get the orbits dialed in. Ended up spending the most time levelling the machine. Ended up putting the ball guides back to a neutral position where looping around the bib didn't end up with a sdtm. Then rechecked the level with my tools. It was nearly perfectly level.

I tried everything. Raising just the right rear, got worse. Put it back and raised right front, both left and right orbits got worse. Put it back and raised left rear 10 turns... It got better but hitting bottom of the sling. Raised the right front by 10 turns and it's better still. Now hitting flipper 90% of the time.

So for me raising the left side improved my situation oddly. Now I'm seeing the ball get hit by the up post more but those come more nicely to the flipper. It doesn't feel like it's off level and according to my tools it's less than a quarter of a degree left high depending on the spot.

I'm now at a bit over 6.6 degrees at the flippers with all the adjustments.

#10138 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Does the Hold Bonus mystery award actually work?
Seems like I have noticed that when I get the award it does not hold the bonus to the next ball

I've noticed this as well.

#10183 2 years ago

Wanted to follow up on the pinball life shaker squeaking in case any of you all run into it. Been talking with the folks over there and tried a few things to get it to quiet down but nothing worked so they are going to replace the unit. So far all of my experiences with pinball life have been fantastic.

#10195 2 years ago

The flipper rubber was an early fix that didn't do much. Remove the post on the one way gate and adjust the spacers under the demo for the proper fix.

#10202 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks, is this the fix that worked for you? I have a bunch of spare spacers of varying heights, I’ll try them today. Is there a consensus that it’s okay to just use the 2 bolts to secure the DG, and leave the hex head wood screw out? I had to take out my entire left ramp to get to that screw.

yes, some people take the spacers completely out. You can raise or lower the demogorgon depending on if it's hitting low or high. Mine was always hitting the bottom lip and bouncing out so for me the solution was shorter spacers. I actually dropped it even more after the initial fix and you can use washers or whatever you have on hand to use as spacers. I played with several different sized spacers before settling on where mine is at so it's very machine specific.

Yes, leave the top screw out so it's easy to remove in the future. The top screw is not needed.

While you have the demo out to mess with the spacers remove the spacer under the nose of the demogorgon on the one way gate. It keeps the demo from sitting forward and is not needed.

#10210 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I blacked that area out in my pf redo.
This shot was before clearing.[quoted image]

How has your reclear held up to the torture of this game?

#10211 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

C0untDeM0net, great advice. I dropped my DG by 3.5m, and removed the hex riser on the one-way gate. Then dropped my flippers to 220. So far I’m about 75% on righteous kills (with some sloppy misses that I don’t count). I want this game to be perfect for league night next Saturday, and thanks to this club I think it’s almost there.

I recommend you keep the flippers full power. Game shoots much better that way

#10256 2 years ago

yeah, I find the ramps can be hard to dial in from time to time. Some days I can be on it and some days just miss over and over again. I think that is why I dislike the modes with the ramps so much. I'll shoot up into the pops to avoid follow the compass, mirkwood, and find will lol.

1 week later
#10481 2 years ago

I am thinking of replacing the plastic bumpers at the posts behind the drop targets.
I can't figure out what is it that needs to come out first to get to these... it looks like the demo ramp is blocking but seems overly complicated to get there...
has anybody replaced these recently?

yeah I just did that to mine. You have to remove the ramps as you have to loosen the entire demo ramp display thing. I've done it so many times at this point it didn't take too long. You probably don't have to take the sides of the ramp off like in my pic. I was working on something else there as well and had to resolder the flasher so just took it all apart. Ramps have to come off to get to the screws for the entire assembly. Remove the optos and the few flasher connections under the playfield and the ramps come right out.

I also sanded down the edges on the outside drops so they don't dig into the new post sleeves. Seems to be working as they have no damage yet.

IMG_20210503_181818542_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210503_181818542_HDR (resized).jpg

#10510 2 years ago

On my machine the fans were required as the demogorgon, even after fixing, was not hittable after 45 minutes of play. At 20 minutes it was getting harder to hit. I play my machines for hours each day though so your mileage may vary. If you don't play a lot of back to back games and the machine has time to cool down between them then you probably will never see the issue.

#10545 2 years ago

you can also try to short plunge into the scoop thing for 10 mil base. That one you can just short plunge to the left flipper, dead bounce to the right, then flick it in for the 10. Nice thing about that one is if you don't touch any other switches you can try again. Just don't do it at league night lol

The drops are like the easy lit upper lane skill shots on many machines. Just hit the flashing one to collect but not worth a ton.

#10557 2 years ago

Doing well and completing the modes is worth huge bonus points. I always focus on the completion of the modes once started. Not only is mode completion a huge bonus but so are the map pieces that come along with them. I've seen so many people completely ignore completing the modes and wonder why their score is so low. Building that bonus up and completing lanes to increase the bonus multiplier is usually my focus.

I do enjoy the demogorgon modes though but going that route, while still very lucrative, doesn't net any extra balls for completion so if I were in a competition I would not focus on the demogorgon and instead go for modes and bonus just given how dangerous the drops can be. After 3 modes you get that extra ball and usually by then I'm close to the burn it back extra ball. That said I had a nearly 200 million what's that last night. Love when that mode gets rocking.

#10632 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:ok so before I start messing with the left orbit rail
the burn it back shot goes perfectly to my left flipper, very repeatable
however the mystery shot tricker out goes hits my left sling
should I leave it or try to adjust?

you can try playing with the level a bit. On mine the ball out of the mystery does not follow the ball guide. It bounces off it usually twice so raising the left front by 2 or 3 full turns moved where the ball hits on the sling down. It now hits the very bottom of the sling on mine so a tiny nudge as the ball connects with the rail the second time puts it reliably at the flipper. It's surprisingly touchy

#10771 2 years ago

Hopefully you get to play the game before the tournament and find out these 2 things

1. Is the left mystery shot eject hitting the sling. Can you nudge it to safety?
2. Can you hit the demogorgon in the mouth. If the answer is no avoid the demo modes as bash completion is dangerous

both of these you can watch others play to judge as well. Also take note of how the right orbit is feeding. From people I've talked to who have played some out and about it seems adjustments to these two things are not made by many operators. A lot of tournament people I've talked to really dislike the game because of it. That and they feel upside down is cheap. When I bring up play in tournament mode it gets blown off as not gonna happen. In league and even in the tournament I just played it we didn't use tournament mode on any of the games either.

#10773 2 years ago

I complete that demodog mode all the time. Hit the two targets under the demogorgon repeatedly as they are pretty safe. The early code had you hitting a lot more to complete I think. If I remember right it was almost double. It's good practice since it's part of the final wizard mode.

#10808 2 years ago

I have a confession to make. After almost a year and a half of owning this machine I've been neglecting it for a few weeks. Leagues are starting back up and I even played my first tournament in 15 months over the weekend ** cough I came in first Cough* but I've not been playing this game much. Not any of my pins TBH. Just working and playing out at the breweries.

Tonight I really wanted to get back into STh and played a bunch. Ouch was the first hour tough. I don't think I cracked 200 mil in the first hour. Then I had that breakthrough game that really felt good. It's not my highest score ever but it was my best Total Isolation ever. 230 mil just in TI 1. The shots just kept hitting over and over. It was flowing like I had not seen in a while. Real blast when I'm clicking with this machine. It's why when I do come back to it I can't walk away for 2+ hours straight.

IMG_20210603_225818127 (resized).jpgIMG_20210603_225818127 (resized).jpg

Also found a bug in the display for entering your initials for the TI champ. Crazy it's 230,000,000 even.

IMG_20210603_225810316 (resized).jpgIMG_20210603_225810316 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#10908 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

So I’ve got about 50 plays on my new premium. I have yet to make a single shot into the demogorgans mouth. I see this key post quoted above.
It says add washers “btw” the bracket....what is btw?
What is “the elastic band method”?
Do you have to completely remove him. To get to those washers/spacers?
Any tips here would be super helpful. Thanks!

Btw is between.

Don't worry about the elastic band method. It was an early fix. Adjusting the height via the spacers is the way to go. Also remove the spacer on the one way gate under the demogorgon chin.

Yes you have to completely remove it to do the fix. It's not that hard and don't put the top playfield screw back in when you put it back together. The two lock nuts under the playfield are more than enough. Makes it easier to take out if you need to adjust it some more.

If it looks like yours is hitting low start by just removing the spacers under the demo completely as well as the one on the one way gate. That will likely resolve it. You can tweak from there by raising it some with washers if you think you need to.

If it is hitting high add washers under the spacers to increase the height until you make it reliably

#10910 2 years ago

because once you remove the 2 spacers lowering the demogorgon that spacer on the one way gate will tilt it backwards. You don't want that. I can see no reason for that spacer on the one way gate in any configuration. The demogorgon is designed to center itself after being hit.

#10987 2 years ago

Search spacers

1 week later
#11110 2 years ago

Now that I'm out playing in leagues and tournaments I'm not playing my machines as much as I was. I like to reset my games when friends come over as everyone likes putting their names on the leaderboards and I've only managed 500 mil as the GC in the last 2 weeks since the last reset and I've not seen TI1 yet lol. For me I can definitely get out of practice on a machine.

#11167 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

I cut some of the spring. This made the spring weaker so it would push up the post ever so slightly slower. It solved my issue.

I tried this today. I found it's the same spring used for the auto launch mech. I had a few spares from some work I did on another machine. Cut it down as seen in the pic. Maybe it's a little better. Definitely not hitting the side as hard but I don't think this alone is the fix for my machine.

IMG_20210625_153131395 (resized).jpgIMG_20210625_153131395 (resized).jpg
#11195 2 years ago

As some of you all know I've had some strange issues with the optos under my demogorgon over the last year+ that I have never been able to resolve. Stern had me replace nearly every single opto under there, swap node boards, you name it. Basically it came down to 2 issues which continued to be a mystery,

1. The center lane exit opto under the demogorgon would sometimes not register a clean shot to complete words or start demogorgon modes
2. A clean mystery shot would sometimes trigger twice or not at all.

After a lot of back and forth, and even Lonnie checking out some of the issues, Stern sent me all new one way gates for the entire demogorgon area. Lonnie, from a code perspective, had a couple of ideas. He believed that the one way gate was failing to stop the ball from entering back into the center lane exit opto and that he believed the drops may be a tad low causing the ball to sometimes hit in such a way that it would bounce around and be missed by the center lane exit opto. Apparently there is some code in that area that is expecting the one way gate to be doing it's job.

I took the machine apart today and replaced those one way gates. It's far to early to tell if that will fix anything but the one in question did look a tiny bit different. The big thing though seems to be the drop adjustment. Mine was in fact low by a tiny margin. A bit more on the left than the right. I made the adjustment to that and the ball does seem to be moving smoother through that whole area.

Fingers crossed that the combo of the new one way gate and the adjustment of the drops resolve the mysteries.

#11221 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m thinking of changing the eject back, so that it gently hits the drops. Making it go through the BIB loop feels a little like cheating, especially when I get 2 BIB’s for a weak feed. I’ve also noticed that I tend to get SDTM drains when the ball doesn’t make it all the way around.

I had to adjust the left target on the right ramp so on weak BIB where it comes back hugging the rail it hits it and lands on the left flipper. For me all that meant was making sure the target was perfectly centered in the hole.

#11274 2 years ago

It's funny, I feel like I can get so much farther on JP and I've only ever played it on location. I have yet to see any of the chapter wizard modes on Stranger Things but I have completed everything else. I'm obsessed with completing the modes though for the really high scores. I suppose if all I wanted to do was see the wizard modes I could do that but the score would be bleh.

#11281 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Interesting, the wiz modes are where all the points are. What’s your high score?

2.1 billion mostly off bonuses and demogorgon modes.

#11329 2 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Hmm, is this normal?[quoted image]

Yes, it makes it easier to get that plastic off. There is a shorter one on the other side as well.

#11390 2 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

I have owned my Pro since the month it came out (January 2020 iirc). I have probably played the game over 1,000 times myself. It's my favorite modern game, and I still love playing like the day I bought it. This title is an absolute long-term keeper.

Got mine mid Jan 2020, it will never leave. Just rolled 4000 games on mine. I've got probably 3500 of them lol

#11398 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Damn, your other games must be feeling jealous

yeah, Stranger things gets the vast majority of play still. Looking to get an avengers premium so maybe that will change a bit soon

#11402 2 years ago

I love when quarter hunt blows up like that. Doesn't happen often but getting the multiball while the mode is going with 2x is something else. I love that mode. Rip the spinner and hit the pops to keep the score sky rocketing

#11426 2 years ago

It comes with service rails. Everything since Munsters has I believe. My guardians came with the poles and it sucks

Turn the trough eject power down to minimum and put mylar on the edges if it bothers you. Won't see it at all but just turning down the power to min has kept my shooter lanes looking brand new

1 week later
#11470 2 years ago

On my pro I started to notice the fade about 30 minutes in and at 45 minutes in my demogorgon shot was not makeable. At 50 minutes in the left ramp was barely makeable from either flipper. The fans completely eliminated all fade on my machine.

#11495 2 years ago

I've had a rough go of it on this machine for a while and today finally had that break through game. Was 1 mode from starting the season one wizard mode. Had a monster can't stop this though. Over 450 million. Totally bungled total isolation 2 though. First one was pretty good. Quite a long game and thank goodness I had the flipper fans but I just couldn't get the left orbit to start that last mode. Was driving me insane.

IMG_20210726_141906147_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210726_141906147_HDR (resized).jpg
#11497 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The left orbit is funny. I can either hit it 3 times in a row, or not at all. Feels good when I’ve got the shot dialed in, though.

yeah it was strange, had no problem hitting it the whole game until it was what I needed for the wizard mode lol. That quill scoop on guardians is the same way for me.

1 week later
#11555 2 years ago

Covid has not been kind to most manufacturing companies. Stern is doing pretty good but the demand is through the roof right now. I have an aiq premium on order and it's been delayed a few times now. Trust me they want to be delivering goods just parts shortages are digging in. We have to be patient.

#11568 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Any Premium/LE owners who could provide me with how to acquire that adjustable left ramp plastic for the TK lock...hit me up please!
Side note: If anyone is looking for a Stranger Things - PM me

contact stern support https://sternpinball.com/support/contact-us/

#11614 2 years ago

I can't believe someone would buy an le without knowing about the white projection surfaces.

#11634 2 years ago

The default position of the post is up. A spring under the playfield pushes it back into position when the coil is off. The coil is used to retract the up post. It's an easy to get to mech and not much to it. Look to see if there is anything it could be getting caught on. I've adjusted mine slightly to make sure it is more centered in the playfield hole.

#11684 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Next week I'll be completing a straight trade for my Stranger Things Pro for an Avenger IQ Pro. I'll finish the attract mode code for the Premium/LE models and make it available to anyone who wants it.

I had a similar decision recently and decided to upcycle my guardians into an avengers premium. It's on order to sit next to my St. Now if only it would get built by stern lol.

#11690 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have you already sold Guardians? I'm interested if you haven't and are selling.

Machine is already sold and gone. I do miss it but it was a opportunity I couldn't pass up.

#11776 2 years ago

The pinside hatred probably didn't help also. If this was a more popular title it would still be in production and likely more code updates. Compared to where this game started though Stern really did a ton to improve this title. Too bad it wasn't more popular

#11821 2 years ago

I've played the premium and I didn't really care for the projector much. The main screen, drops, and spinner had good projections but the ramps I would have rather they just put the pro ramp decals on. The TK lock was cool and the first time the ball stuck up there was a wow moment but that one mech was not enough for me. I walked away glad I went with a pro and I was really expecting I'd want the premium to possibly upgrade to.

Ultimately I did decide to upgrade and get rid of my Guardians and get a premium avengers if it'll ever ship. Now that game has some real mechs and ramps that make the premium a much better game for me.

#11837 2 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I like the movement on the demogorgan, really adds to the atmosphere imo.

I totally forgot it was there and didn't even notice it. Mine moves pretty freely though

#11844 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

He is talking about the fact the Demigorgon shakes on the premium and LE models, right? It doesnt moce on my pro at all. Would be cool if it did.

yes, that is what he is talking about. I've played the premium several times now and I can't say I've ever noticed it. I have my pro setup so that it is pretty loose though and moves with ease from a nudge or a ball hit. Didn't see much difference. Not something I'd be keying in on as a differentiator is my point

#11868 2 years ago

I prefer the perfect play purple from pinball life because the effect it has of turning pink with the UV is awesome. It also looks really good with the UV kit off. The Titans are a cool effect but I really don't like how the flipper rubbers look without the UV kit on.

The perfect play rubbers are a lot more bouncy than the Titans and it gives the game a very different feel. I didn't like it at first but now I prefer it

#11872 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thanks! Do they make them for slings as well? What is the correct size for the ST slings?

They have all of the rubbers for the entire playfield available. You can use the ring data in the manual but I think a few are missing. There is also the db on titan's website to get the list https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/view/id/1551

I've replaced everything but the rubbers in the pop area. Not a lot to replace on this machine. Since the pic below I've also replaced the post sleeves by the drops. That requires the ramp to be removed to do.

2b0e096a59935a3bd5fb2c3ec9356b54acc7a146 (resized).jpg2b0e096a59935a3bd5fb2c3ec9356b54acc7a146 (resized).jpg

#11897 2 years ago

Plus if you buy the premium uv kit you'll be able to purchase the likely cheaper premium Stern Connect kit since you won't need the apron

#11911 2 years ago

As a home user I have no desire to spend money on this for any of my games. I can see why ops would want it for the easy access to data but none of the op features are in the first version from what I've read. Could not care less about the achievement features.

#11918 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

You may change your mind when Stern starts putting downloadable content out there like new modes, features, etc. This could enhance our pins a great deal. However, it won’t be free. I’m all for it. If you want the content, get it. If not, don’t.

If they start sticking new modes and game features behind a paywall with an app I'll never buy another stern game. The rumored price increase will likely cause me to cancel my aiq premium order as another 1k is not what I agreed to when I ordered all those months ago and I don't want this app connected feature.These are not $60 Xbox games but 6-9k pinball machines.

#11921 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

This is EXACTLY what Stern is going to do. They are very smart and know there is A LOT of money on the table with downloadable content. Whether you choose to participate or not, it’s gonna happen and they will make a lot of money. Xbox and PlayStation have proven the model works and it works well. The nice thing is, you don’t have to buy in if you don’t want to. I will likely pick and choose things I really like or maybe I won’t like any of it. Only time will tell.

Thank goodness spooky, American, cgc, and jjp exist. Might actually change my order to cactus canyon cause they are making real updates to make the games better.

#11930 2 years ago

from the factory both sides are in the top hole. The game designer has said he intended it to be in the center hole from the factory but they went with the top. I have mine in the middle

No one could say it's cheating. Every machine in the real world is setup differently. Some at steep angles and some really floaty. Some have tight outlanes and others wide open. Each game will be tailored to whatever level makes the op the most money. Heavy tournament area probably steep and open outlanes. Typical bar area it'll be closer to 6.5 degrees and outlanes closed up.

#11956 2 years ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Just bought a pro. Should be here in a few days. Anything I need to know or do when I get it? I gather the uv light kit mod is a must?

Might want to start reading through the thread. Key posts are your friend

#11987 2 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I've owned this game for 1.5 years. I never really dialed in my demogorgon. I was always afraid to break it. I just keep putting things underneath to push it forward. Stern did send me a new ramp and told me it would make it easier to hit the demo. I might actually try it now. I see a few suggestions in this thread. What is more successful, adding the new ramp, or, going with the washer fix?

Spacer fix no question

#11992 2 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I can hit it easily from the right flipper but its near impossible from the left. Is there a way to fix a hard shot from one flipper without messing up the other?

Sure, you just have to make sure that you know whether it's hitting high or low from that flipper. If it's hitting low you need to reduce the height of the demogorgon by replacing the spacer with washers. It is trial and error. In my case it was hitting very low and reducing the demogorgon height by more than half a spacer was the solution. Target the left flipper as the one you're trying to dial in and the right one will follow.

If the demigorgon is hitting high then you need to raise it up. If you have a cell phone with slow mo video that really helps to diagnose what the issue is. Most of the ones I've seen are hitting low and bouncing up and hitting the top of the demigorgan and popping out but I know there are some that hit high. If it is hitting high you want to add washers to the existing spacers.

The good news is once you remove the demogorgon the first time it's really easy to do so again so dialing it in is not that big of a deal

#12060 2 years ago

Lol, I'm still waiting on the machine I ordered a long time ago.

#12111 2 years ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

This is probably a dumb question but how do you get to the total isolation mode?

complete season 1 and season 2 modes at the orbits and ramps. 4 modes total. TI2 is at 8 modes total.

#12147 2 years ago

Stern released an updated ramp from the original build. It was meant to increase the height of the ball off the ramp. It solved it for some people but for those like me it didn't do much. I've talked with Brian about it and his suggestion was to just remove the spacers.

The shot is not meant to be impossible. As Chuck said the original code didn't have the bash mode. On my machine the only way out of demo 1 was to drain lol. That was not fun. Bashing was only added because of the lack of success people were having making the shot. Once you start getting deeper into the game you'll realize how important that shot is and how much skill you need to have to make it while 6 balls are flying at you and the ramp is going up and down

#12151 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mine is middle of the left and early on the right. 1 out of 20 is terrible IMO. That is 1 out of 20 on a dead center shot? If that’s the case, I would definitely adjust. You’re leaving massive fun on the table if not. You cannot get deep into the demogorgon multiballs if you’re only making it 1 out of 20.

mines nearly identical to this. maybe a bit farther on the left but really early on the right

#12172 2 years ago

Isn't bs mode always the third mystery award when you are not in a multiball or mode? Kinda like a nod to strobe multiball in afm being the third one there.

That's the trick isn't it? you need to not be adding time or balls via mystery

I actually did manage a true afm style dirty pool not too long ago. Had a ball behind the drops and hit the drop and shot it back up into the demogorgon. Sad nothing happened.

#12179 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

In combo mode it’s the fourth one. Outside of that it’s random. But yes, the key to getting it is getting mystery awards when you’re not in any modes.

I knew there was a set path to get it other than random. It's not easy though and it feels like it is intended to be seen more by people that generally get farther in the game. I rarely see it before TI 1 but my mysteries are generally add times or add a balls.

#12200 2 years ago

500 games in a week is impressive. I play a lot but pretty sure I've never managed that in a week. I do enforce the no quit rule and turned off the reset game feature on all my games. My son hates it but he's gotta learn how to deal with those bad balls and come back.

It really helped me out recently in a tournament. I was playing on stranger things and this one played very different from mine and I was struggling to adjust. Not friendly out of the pops or mystery and the demo was only ok. I kept missing the skill shot and was struggling to get it under control. I had managed 2 locks for tk though and was setup well for ball 3. The guys I was playing against were only going for demogorgon which I nixed right off given the inconsistent hit rate. I was last in the group and had less than 10 million going into ball 3 and needed more than 60 million to win. Managed to short plunge to the left flipper, backhanded the left ramp starting the mode and tk. Easily won the match and got the knockout bounty for that round. Man I was sweating it though.

BTW Bounty tournaments are super fun. Even though I only came in 6th I still walked home with 100 in bounties.

#12244 2 years ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

Pretty glad i put all that work into restoring that POS F- 14. Some of the early posts in this thread about the TK lock had me pretty worried but after breathing life back in to that shambling thing I feel pretty confident that I can adjust that lock and the demo if need be. Besides, sounds like the new ramp cover pretty much solves the problem...

I also restored a beat up import F-14 last year and just sold it back in December. This machine is much easier to work on and now that the kinks are well known it's not as much trial and error. Won't be a problem. Early on before the solutions were well known it was quite frustrating even with just the pro. Get the tk lock plastic fix and be prepared to adjust the demo and you'll be golden.

#12253 2 years ago

I wish I could get cointaker to send me the AIQ premium I ordered way back when and was told it was ready to ship to me from them on September 3rd. Here I am on the 22nd and the machine has still not left their warehouse with only "It'll ship tomorrow" every time I ask.

#12267 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

My ramp seems to be slightly off centre, it's now very tight/catching slightly on the left side in the closed position and you can see much bigger gap on the right.
I haven't looked at it yet but any advice on tweaking it appreciated.

You may have to remove some plastics but the fixed sides of the ramp billboard thing can be adjusted a little. There are 2 mount points per side to the main ramp base that you can loosen and adjust a little. It's not much but you should be able to get it not to catch. If it's out of the adjustment capabilities of the current holes you could always enlarge the holes in the ramp sides to give more adjustment.
mount (resized).pngmount (resized).png

#12268 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sounds like they over sold and are hoping stern builds you one soon. That sucks. Sorry man.

Hard to say. I've been told I'll have a tracking number today. We'll see. Definitely frustrating but Cointaker has had some health issues recently which have affected things.

#12280 2 years ago

I was just cleaning my machine and I noticed some strange things around the inserts that seem to be under the clearcoat. Anyone seen anything like this before? Seems to be on the edges of the inserts. You don't see it when the game is on but it's clear when the game is off. It almost looks like the inserts are pulling away from the clear? I feel nothing on top of the playfield. Is there anything I can do about this?

IMG_20210923_222041770_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222041770_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222051798_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222051798_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222103094_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222103094_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222130800_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222130800_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222205335 (resized).jpgIMG_20210923_222205335 (resized).jpg
#12282 2 years ago

I don't feel anything when I run my finger over it. Seems like it's under the clear coat. I'll send the pics to Pablo and see what he says

#12286 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I am guessing that is the glue that is used to attach the inserts to the playfield. I can see it on mine also if I shine a flashlight at the right angle, though not quite as much as yours. Some of my other machines have minor signs of it too, but again you have to be really looking for it and hitting it with a light. My guess is Stern will say it's normal, but it's worth asking about at least. Someone might have been a little more whippy with the glue machine the day they were making yours.

could be. I emailed Pablo and will see what he says. Mine definitely seems to be getting worse and you can clearly see it from a distance. It first started on the final showdown insert a while back and I didn't really think much of it. Just a tiny hint of what looked like a scratch or something on the upper left side. Last night when I was cleaning though I noticed it was now on more than half the inserts and it's getting worse on the main one. I think the black on the playfield is amplifying it but if you look in the upper left corner of the final showdown insert there is a bubble forming into the main area of the insert. The machine is so far out of warranty at this point I doubt they will do anything. I love the game so maybe somewhere down the line I'll buy a replacement playfield for it.

#12291 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

That's a bummer. Again just guessing here, but I would say a crappy glue job is leading to ghosting, which can spread over time. That used to be more of a common problem, even back in the WPC days, and Stern had a rash of it around the Star Trek/Ghostbusters timeframe. Haven't heard of it much lately though. Hope they take care of you. I will say, being outside of warranty period has never stopped Stern from helping me out when I have had issues. Now whether or not they consider this to be a replacement worthy issue, I'm not sure. I know they have cracked down on that some in the last couple years, but they are usually pretty good about replacing true defects. Hope they can help you out!

I am in shock at this but the Stern quality team took a look at the pictures I sent, determined that this is a defective playfield and they are sending me a replacement unpopulated playfield when the next run of pros are done in late nov-dec. Honestly I have only had amazing service from them. Pablo and the entire quality and support teams over there are awesome. A bit speachless to be honest. I was not expecting that

#12302 2 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

That's awesome! Stern is an awesome company in many ways, and I love hearing stuff like this. I'm amazed you heard back so quickly. My last replacement they thought about for months, but that was right in the beginnings of COVID lockdown. I will say, do not expect to see it any time soon. I have had a couple replaced, and each time it has taken at least a couple months to ship. I am still waiting for a JP playfield they agreed to replace back in February. I'm not worried...it will show up someday, and thankfully my machine is fully playable in the meantime, so no big deal. I'm sure they are tied to whenever the next run is.
Anyway, CONGRATS! An unpopulated swap is a big project, but a fun one. Enjoy!

Thanks! yeah I'm not worried about timing. The machine is still playable for now so as long as an insert doesn't fall out or something I can wait. Pablo said it won't be until the next run of the pro's happens which is currently scheduled for late nov/early dec. With parts stuff that could easily go into next year I'm sure. My distributor also got involved with this and it's a big one so that probably helped move it along as well. Still though they are going above and beyond here and I'm very happy with the outcome.

#12305 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Playfield swap makes me sweat just thinking about it but man that’s awesome. I would beat the shit of your current one and save the NIB playfield for years down the road. As long as gameplay isn’t effected.

I'm actually looking forward to it. If it was an old Williams machine I'd be worried but there's not a lot under the playfield on this one and I've already had the top mostly apart so many times that I can do that in my sleep. I'm going to look into having the clear coat redone once it gets here as this machine is never leaving my home and I'm going to want this play field to be perfect. I also accidentally scratched both ramps underneath doing all the repairs so I'm going to look into flame polishing those as well while I'm at it.

I can see why they would call this a major defect as the inserts are pulling away from the clear causing bubbles. It's only been getting worse and I'm sure over time it's going to get a lot worse. I certainly hope no one else is having this issue. My machine was one of the first off the line for the home use pros.

I had a guardians for a while and was getting some major digging into the clear by the scoop. I put the le protector on it before it got really bad and started chipping but it was going to real quick. With that issue I can see why a clear touch up would be ideal instead of a complete playfield swap as it's on the edge and repairable.

#12317 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

We'll agree to disagree on this one. I just think when you're a manufacturer selling very expensive, high end consumer products like pinball machines, you have an obligation to maintain a level of quality and stand by your customers when they have major flaws or defects. The onus to perform a time consuming playfield swap and the learning curve that goes with it shouldn't be on the customer in these type of cases IMO.
In a competitive industry (which pinball currently is not), poor quality and customer service is a sure fire recipe for failure. My hope is companies like CGC and Spooky which seem to be churning out high quality machines continue to thrive so competition forces the industry to increase quality and levels of customer care.

Are they really a high end consumer manufacturer though? The pins are designed for a commercial environment managed by commercial entities. Even the sales process through distributors is very commercial oriented. "the pins" are designed for home use and use very different materials. I don't think Stern has made that transition to consumer or is even looking to really do that. An operator probably would not be caring too much about the ghosting inserts or the fact that it's getting worse. In fact after 2 years they are probably trying to sell it off for the next big thing. They expect the ops to be able to work on the machines and keep them making money.

I'd like to see them selling consumer oriented versions of the pro and premium without the coin mechs and with quality and warranties tailored for that industry but I doubt that's going to happen. Aren't ops still the majority of sales for Stern?

I love working on the machines so for me, after 2 years and 4k+ plays on it, I'm more than satisfied with a replacement playfield. I can understand how others would have a different view though.

#12378 2 years ago

that's good to know. i was a little freaked out that the warranty on a NIB doesn't cover anything but the boards and LCD

After 2 years and 4500+ plays on my machine it was determined I actually have a bad playfield and stern is sending me an unpopulated playfield free of charge. The written warranty isn't long but they go above and beyond on support if you are not a complete jerk to them.

#12383 2 years ago

that must be for mando got excited there for a second

1 week later
#12464 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

I just peeled mine off and cut a new one the same size and put it down. I cleaned the playfield with Novus 1 before putting the new one on. I've replaced mine 3 times in 750 plays or so.

I replaced mine once somewhere around 1000 plays when I tried out the alternative ramp. Other than that after 4500 plays it's the same piece of mylar. I did change the setting that leaves the ramp up when in attract mode.

#12472 2 years ago
Quoted from GeekedOnPinball:

When shooting the demogorgan the balls hit the glass a lot. What do I need to adjust to fix this?

Also would be an indication your shots are hitting low. You will want to adjust the demogorgon height. Lots of info in this thread on how to do that. After proper adjustment I almost never get glass hits anymore. Used to be horrible.

#12529 2 years ago

For sure would be in on one for Stranger Thins and also for Avengers AIQ Just got the button masher high score last night.

#12541 2 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen the game show anything regarding the button. I like the idea of using more dnd appropriate terms

#12563 2 years ago
Quoted from JakePG:

been racking up the games on my stranger things. desperately need more pins in my collection

I have more pins in my collection and it still gets the most play. We'll see now that AIQ is here how things land. I've already been close to the final wizard mode in less than 2 weeks on that one yet no where close on ST after 2 years.

1 week later
#12607 2 years ago

My problem is I tend to try and maximize the modes and I take a lot of risks that if I was just trying to get to the end game I wouldn't but I just can't stop myself. Mode completion is so extremely valuable and for me rewarding. I get to ti1 regularly and ti2 less often but usually once every other play session or so. My best games score wise at nearly 3 billion I don't think i started ti2. Rocked out the demo modes and had a nearly 400 million bonus on one ball if I remember correctly. Couldn't get my phone in time. I really wish they add a bunch of champion leaderboard things. Aiq is spoiling me as everything has a champion heh

#12613 2 years ago

Well, Chuck does put this game in a similar bracket to NBA FastBreak, Munsters, and World Cup as far as easy to complete. Not sure I agree with that as I've completed NBA a number of times but never Stranger Things. Munsters doesn't even have a wizard mode and that goal defeats the purpous, and World Cup is truly the best beginner game. He is a much better player than I tho

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wizard-modes-how-many-here-have-finished-a-game#post-6561562

I'd go out on a limb and say Guardians, AIQ, and Stern Star Wars are easier than Stranger Things. I've been much closer on all 3 than Stranger Things

#12615 2 years ago

I can't bring myself to time modes out, Just not fun at all to me. Since I own it I'll gladly take as long as it does to see it all. I've had AIQ for just a few weeks and I nearly started battle thanos last night. Now there is so much more to that game than the final wizard.mode and I know I left a lot of points unearned but I wasn't even trying to get there. Guardians took me 7 months to get butted up to save zandar. Didn't even bother to go after it again and from what I understand from those that have seen it I'm not missing much.

#12632 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I suspect a lot of us Pro buyers will want the Premium kit too. It just occurred to me that it might be worth saving my Pro kit just to have a spare set of UV-reactive plastics.

might be a good idea. My slingshot plastics are showing wear spots on the unprotected post with no screw. UGh I was gonna get the clear plastic protectors and never got around to it and now I notice it. Also see it on my old Stern Pirates.

#12674 2 years ago

Pretty sure it was run will the 4th demogorgon mode

Run Will!: Multiball mode similar to trap em. Phase one, shot the demo during the hurry up to lock in the jackpot value. Phase two, all the drops are lit for jackpots. Collect those to light the Demo for a SJP hurry up. Trick is, the ramp will lower and raise every second or two. Complete the SJP to start the jackpot phase again to work towards another SJP hurry up.

1 week later
#12725 2 years ago

A lot of the haters never gave it a chance even though it was released with really early code. Then the pandemic shut down locations and they just never revisited it. The game is so different from what was originally released. I really feel like those of us that continued to send in audits and talk with the designers helped shape the game and it's so much better for it. I've heard a number of people at tournaments say the game is really growing on them now that they are playing it more. The shutdowns really hurt this game a lot

2 weeks later
#12811 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

What do people do to fix this? When coming out of the target…maybe 1 in 25 of my balls will do the green path and straight down the middle which is frustrating
[quoted image]

check to see if the ball stopper is hitting the ball on the way out. On some machines it's slamming into the ball not giving enough time to leave the area causing the ball to hit the rail and do that trajectory. There is no software adjustment but you can cut down the spring that returns the post to the up position. There is info in the thread on the modification.

#12838 2 years ago

The mission bonus potential is where the big points are. I've had games where the bonus was larger than my score at the time.

#12851 2 years ago

i hate shooting the center drops and will very rarely aim for them. demogorgon modes are just something that happen for me
i will sometimes rush to Bust Out if i accidentally start the first demodog mode, though, since it sucks so hard to try to do with one ball
i like quarter hunt, get me out, turn up the heat, morse code and what mama says for mode points
i mean like...the third demogorgon mode is awful. in theory if you have 2x scoring going yeah it's like 200 million for 3 shots. in reality it's bashing the demogorgon 15 times over the course of 2-3 minutes just to survive the mode

If you're bashing the demogorgon in that mode then you may want to look at adjustments. Non multiball demogorgon modes are not timed so get control of the ball then sink the mouth shot. Good points for and even better with 2x going.

#12873 2 years ago

the first shot on the demo mouth literally always goes in and then it's a crap shoot. im guessing i need to tilt the head more forward since i tend to airball and smack the glass when i miss but unless the whole demo assembly comes off with those two nuts under the playfield im not sure i want to fuck with it that much.
putting some downward pressure on the arm the ball rides to the TK lock magnet has made a large difference in how often i hit that lock, though, now that kind of ease of adjustment i can get behind haha

Sounds like the demogorgon is sitting too high which is common. Glass hits usually occur when the ball hits the bottom lip and then flies up over the Demogorgon smacking the glass. Since adjusting mine I don't think I've had a glass hit when before I was really afraid I would break the glass. Never heard such hard hits on any other machine.

After removing the spacers, or reducing them in size using washers or something, the ball can make it over the bottom lip and work as designed. There is a lot of info on this but it's easy to see with a slow mo camera. Steps are remove the demogorgon from the machine, remove two black spacers that are on the demogorgon mount, then remove the spacer on the one way gate under the demogorgon and I bet your luck will change.

Lots of info and pics in this thread on doing this mod

#12877 2 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Hey guys, I have a question. I’m thinking about picking up a AFMSE. I already have STh. I have heard they are very similar in layout. Anyone own both? Thoughts on having both in a lineup?
Thanks

I don't own both but play AFM in league and at a friends house. I enjoy it but I don't think I would own one to sit next to Sth. I like to have diversity in the lineup and try not to have too similar layouts.

#12878 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Im on the list for the December run, any idea if Stern has done something about the bad playfield dimpling that this title had earlier on? And this flipper fade, is that still something to be expected?

flipper fade is to be expected. I don't think they ever nailed down why it's so bad on this machine.

As for the dimpling ... this game has a massive bash toy and a huge ramp. It's going to be worse than most machines because of that no matter how perfect the playfield is. The ramp entry flaps on my machine have dents and when I took the ramps off to work on it even saw dimples under the ramp flap into the wood. Just the nature of the beast

#12880 2 years ago

yeah man, the dimpling is very very very bad. very bad. im still waiting for it to even itself out after like 750 games. and there are a couple of huge-ass craters on the PF as well. poor Nancy seems to get the worst of it.
i still haven't experienced the flipper fade though. im not talking sh*t about pinmonk or those of you here that have mentioned the fans either but I asked a guy thats been opping/routing machines for more than 30 years what he thought about fans for the flipper coils and he looked at me like i was insane

is it just the two nuts on the underside of the playfield? i'm definitely not feeling taking all the plastics and stuff off. maybe raising the back legs a few turns would help

2 nuts under the playfield and one up top in the back corner by the ramp. One or two plastics need to come off it's not bad at all. You may need to move the ramp the first time to get at the screw up top just don't put it back as it's not needed. The two nuts under the playfield are more than enough for it. It takes maybe 30 minutes to make the mod and makes the game 100x more fun as bashing the demogorgon and missing shots that should go in is no fun. Plus the demogorgon modes need you to be able to hit the mouth shot for the supers, while in multiball, while the ramp is going up and down. Good luck.

Flipper fade I start to notice around 25 minutes in on my pro. Gets gradually worse until about 45 minutes in where the ramps start getting hard to make and the mouth shot really hard. At 50-60 minutes the game is near unplayable as the ramp shots have to be perfect. This is continuous play. It's not uncommon for me to have a 30-45 minute game and it's no fun for the flipper fade to cause the end of the game to get that much harder. The pinmonk fans have been a life saver for this game. My other games I don't notice the fade much. Maybe a little on AIQ but that's a really long playing game to begin with

#12882 2 years ago

info on removing the demogorgon
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/243#post-6500450

some more pics and stuff around this thread from when I did the mod to mine. I had the machine 6 months waiting on stern to "fix" the demo shot. I stopped shooting the demogorgon and missed more than half the game. Wish I would have done it sooner.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/91#post-5727478

and another post where I was helping someone else with pics
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/123#post-5942712

#12889 2 years ago

I seriously doubt a playfield protector is going to do anything with dimpling on this game. As I mentioned previously the ramp entry flaps on mine are dented and the clear under them is dimpled. If spring steel on top of the playfield isn't cutting it keeping dimples from occurring a little plastic isn't going to do much. I'd recommend just enjoy your game and play it.

Protectors do have a place so I'm not against them. I've used them on older williams machines with raising inserts and it worked wonders making the game playable again. For the newer machines I just feel it's not doing much for you.

#12892 2 years ago

it's hard to get images of dimples but as you can see in the pic... dimples under the spring steel ramp flap. No way the PETG playfield protectors are stopping that.

Dimples are a part of pinball. I've seen it on old games and new games. After almost 5k games on mine it's starting to look like orange peel which you see a lot on 90's williams games with 10's of thousands of plays if not more.

Clear coat pooling, chipping, cracking, insert ghosting these are playfield problems that detract value. Dimples are just cosmetic. Someone doesn't want to buy my machine because of a dimple or two I'm not really wanting to sell it to them anyway. The ribbing bothers me much more than dimples on newer stern machines. That's cosmetic as well but way more annoying visually to me.

a8dabea3ea76dbd766b57c4b03cac1b7fe229eb4 (resized).jpga8dabea3ea76dbd766b57c4b03cac1b7fe229eb4 (resized).jpgb6a8cc7132bc315c28e1df5acb7dde98840f40cd (resized).jpgb6a8cc7132bc315c28e1df5acb7dde98840f40cd (resized).jpg
#12895 2 years ago

~2000 plays

4977e3acf3fdf5ad58d2584c1904023e86b4315e (resized).jpg4977e3acf3fdf5ad58d2584c1904023e86b4315e (resized).jpg

~3500 plays

8da96bf66b44d7184773e9b549ab13833c5d226c (resized).jpg8da96bf66b44d7184773e9b549ab13833c5d226c (resized).jpg

It's levelled out a bit more now but you can see the progression. Really sharp edges at first but now they are starting to round out. now at around 5k plays it's more like an orange peel in the center, the outer areas are still sharp

#12897 2 years ago

It's the demogorgon, I'm convinced that the majority of the dimples happened before the fix to make the shot more reliable. Ball hits to the playfield from misses on that shot land mostly in the center area. Mostly tho... I even have a few dimples in the outlanes. Those will never go away haha.

#12899 2 years ago

At the end of the day we are smacking very heavy balls using very powerful flippers around a very small playfield. I'm just glad the glass hasn't broken on this machine lol

1 week later
#12978 2 years ago

As far as I am aware most of the stuff in the video chuck did about tuning the game still applies. While the updated ramp improves things I would expect some demogorgon adjustment to be nessasary. The up post on the ramp was fixed after the first batch went out so that should be good. I have not heard to many with the one way gate falling off lately but that's pretty easy to fix as well if it does happen.

#12980 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Cool, thanks!
It's been a productive Friday afternoon - I'm on page 44 now and just got done making the journey from your demo frustrations on through to your wedged flipper rubber relief. I felt the swings of emotion.

ha, this game was interesting early on to say the least. Fixes if you have issues are very well known at this point though

#12988 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I know you get more points when you hit the demo right in the mouth. However when you go 3/3 in the mouth on what’s that… extra 50mil, extra ball, or a special call out would be nice. Rarely happens but damn sweet when it does.

That's a non-timed mode with 3 shots to the mouth worth 90 mil. If you have 2x scoring going it's 180 mil. I take my time and trap up to shoot the shot as my machine is very reliable from a trap. I finish that mode with the 90 or 180 more often than not. I don't need it to provide more points.

1 week later
#13049 2 years ago

looks like cleland will be able to do that voodoo that you do so well

looksgood (resized).pnglooksgood (resized).png
#13050 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

New code drop is a good sign that the pro run is on schedule.

hope I get the warranty playfield that's been on order for months. I have 2 weeks off and feeling frisky for a good playfield swap

#13120 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Happy to report no issues with the Cleland mod and the new Stern update. I'll keep playing and watching, but everything seems to be error free. Thanks again for providing this to the community!

I've played a bunch of games as well and no issues seen either.

1 week later
#13314 2 years ago

I just finished upgrading the backbox speakers in my machine and I'm wondering if anyone has updated audio settings they like? I've switched the backbox from 8 ohm to 4 ohm but with the default settings I'm getting an awful lot of midrange muddyness. I've been messing with the settings but have not been able to get rid of it. Thinking I'll need to switch over to the EQ. Just curious if anyone has already found some settings they like.

IMG_20220102_163324333 (resized).jpgIMG_20220102_163324333 (resized).jpgIMG_20220102_163334656 (resized).jpgIMG_20220102_163334656 (resized).jpg
#13316 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I just finished upgrading the backbox speakers in my machine and I'm wondering if anyone has updated audio settings they like? I've switched the backbox from 8 ohm to 4 ohm but with the default settings I'm getting an awful lot of midrange muddyness. I've been messing with the settings but have not been able to get rid of it. Thinking I'll need to switch over to the EQ. Just curious if anyone has already found some settings they like.
[quoted image][quoted image]

After doing some reading and searching on pinside it appears that the Le's that come with the 4 ohm Kenwood's also have the 8 ohm audio setting in the menu. I'm going to give that a try and see if it improves anything cuz the audio really is crappy at 4 ohm

#13319 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Keep us posted.

Honestly, at this point I may go back to the stock speakers. I've seen these pyle speakers recommended many times over but honestly without an external amp and eq I'm not sure any backbox 4ohm speaker is an upgrade. I may try some 8ohm 4 inch speakers just to get a little clarity but I'll likely not mess with this much longer.

With the machine set to 8 ohms the audio is significantly better but there is a lot of crackling happening. I have not been able to dial in the settings to get rid of it. since the speakers are high wattage I have to assume the internal amp is being overdriven even at low volume.

With the machine set to 4 ohms the audio becomes muddy and the speech is below the sound effects. Even noticed the knocker sound to be nearly non-existent. Switching to the eq and setting a pretty drastic v curve improves things but it does not sound better than the stock speakers.

Might just stick these in my car lol.

#13339 2 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Just installed the Pyle speakers and they sound excellent. Had to revert back to 1.04 Cleland code though as the latest has issues with distorted audio.

Did you leave the audio settings at 8 ohms?

#13389 2 years ago

i know that we're not gonna solve the contentious issue here but if i were a retailer i'd probably get pretty sick of leaving money on the table by strictly selling stuff at MSRP so some flipper can profit off of some misguided sense of business ethics
the solution is clearly for $tern to do a round of VC to start another production line and get rid of the false scarcity problem in pinball. just make enough for everyone to buy!

even before covid there were mad dashes to get the toppers and other accessories. They don't seem to ever make enough. I bought mine directly from Stern right after they announced it. Them having stock was rare though. Usually their store is empty of accessories

#13394 2 years ago

I've had AIQ since the end of september and beaten it twice. Took me a few months to be guardians by completing everything. I've yet to put together a complete game with Stranger Things in 2 years. Been so close a few times. I also refuse to time out modes so theres that. I know I could get there if I wanted to by doing that but that's not fun to me.

#13397 2 years ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

Woo Hoo! Congrats!! Be sure to take your time and mind the setup instructions. If you get ahead of the steps then you could have to undo something that you’ve already done. Also be sure to use scissors to cut off all of the zip ties that secure the shooter rod and keys and whatnot. Don’t use a utility knife…very easy to slip and cut yourself or the machine or both!

I've seen backboxes go flying with a quick snip of a strap while the machine is still on its back. Not pretty. Steps are easy but don't rush it with the first one.

#13399 2 years ago
Quoted from Pot8er:

I’m not sure if this is frowned upon, but my distro is actually setting it up haha. I’ll be home for it though and I’ll make sure they have wire cutters or scissors on hand. It’s going upstairs anyway so I need their help with it either way.

Just watch what they do. One day you will have to move it again and knowing how it was to begin with and how to get it back into that place is a good thing.

#13410 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I would like it to be more consistent, but then again, I am not sure it should be a gimme either.
I am probably just going to leave it and see how it does over the longer term.

I'll just say this. When you get farther in the game being able to consistently hit the shot is super important. Imagine if you will a 6 ball multiball where the only way to collect the super is to shot the mouth shot while the ramp is going up and down every second. Good luck.

The shot is never a gimme but if you get the timing down you should be able to reliably hit the shot from a cradle and on the fly. Ever since "fixing" it the only shots I miss are the ones I know were off. That's skill based not fighting the machine.

To each their own tho. I couldn't imagine playing AFM and not being able to shoot down the saucer or MM where you can't destroy the castle.

#13427 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I can try the rubber/elastic band approach to see if that makes it much better. Right now, I haven't played enough to know if my shot was just off or it is just rejecting.
If it is rejecting a lot and the rubber band trick improves it, maybe I will venture to take out the mech and add washers to tilt it forward. I assume removing the mech is the hardest part of that job.

This is not the correct fix. This was an early fix. The correct fix is to find the ideal height for the demogorgon by removing or adjusting the spacers under it and removing the spacer on the one way gate under the front of the demogorgon. There are lots of recent posts on the proper fix

#13429 2 years ago

the height is the problem. Sounds like yours is not as bad as some others. Mine for instance the shot was not makeable period. I basically ignored the demogorgon for 5-6 months of ownership. Seems like a lot of machines suffer from slightly low to extremely low hits on the demogorgon. The one at a local barcade is probably like yours where it's an ok shot but I've definitely seen ones that should have gone in that didn't on that machine too. Bringing it down a bit on that machine would make the shot better but the ops don't seem interested.

yes you will need to remove the demogorgon to do the fix. It's the hardest the first time because there is a screw in the demogorgon base on the top of the playfield that requires loosening the ramps to get to it. Once that is out though it's really easy to remove the demo. Just don't put that screw back in when you put it back together. It's not needed

#13431 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Leaning it forward is doing the same thing as lowering the whole thing, but lowering the whole think is a more permanent consistent fix.

I tried the leaning it forward fix. Put the flipper rubber back there and tried everything. It would feel like it was working then I'd put the glass back on and nope. Reducing the height is putting the demogorgon hole lower and moving where the ball hits on the bottom of the mouth which is what caused the glass hits and misses. Leaning it forward meant I had the ball hitting the bottom of the mouth, bounce up and hit the top mouth flap, then bang into the playfield. It might help a bit on those that are not as badly off as mine but it's not the same fix.

#13433 2 years ago

I can't believe they have done nothing to fix that. Contact stern tech support and ask for the decal. Hopefully it has not started cutting the ramp plastic like mine did. Definitely mylar it or something. I was thinking about using the metal duct tape I use on the ducts. The height of the ball guide that's doing the cutting really should be reduced to fix this right. 1mm lower would probably have been enough

#13437 2 years ago

There is one connector under the playfield that needs to be disconnected to take it completely out. It's pretty easy to find. It's one of the easier things to work on actually.

#13440 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

That’s what a few folks in here have done. I’m questioning if 1-2 mylar squares would be enough though in my case if it’s already gouged through this quickly. Maybe a little piece of felt on the guide or as suggested some metal tape.

Carbon fiber tape might be a good option. I have a replacement ramp and stickers and have not gotten around to replacing but have been looking to find something that will last. The metal tape or carbon fiber are my guesses but I have not tried yet. It's one of those.. It's a problem but I have a new ramp and graphic so in no hurry to fix items" on my list

#13452 2 years ago

The upside down plastic that is attached to that mount needs to be removed as well. Then it lifts straight out from the mount holes.

#13477 2 years ago

I was getting some damage on the wood behind the drops. just looked like wear. I finally after 4k+ plays bought the cliffy set since I needed to get the one for my AIQ and put them all on. I paid for them in the set to might as well right? I have had some hangups on the cliffy behind the drops but a tiny shake frees that if it happens while the drops are down. Drops still hit the ball and free it if you get it behind them so no big deal.

#13542 2 years ago

I'm just glad they didn't do any modes around the city episodes. Where's mama doesn't really count to me as it wasn't in the city

#13555 2 years ago

I've had the pro version on my machine since the second you could buy them on sterns website 2 years ago but I'm really thinking about picking up the premium edition to have a backup and swap out the apron.

a little advice to anyone installing it. If you are not putting on plastic protectors I would sick a piece of mylar on the back of the slingshot plastics where it rests on the post. On one of my plastics I can see wear through that spot. I didn't know this was a thing but then looked at my other machines and it's happening there too.

#13653 2 years ago

Mine are still default

#13656 2 years ago
Quoted from AvngRHulk:

255? Mine constantly kicks up and hits the glass pretty hard at that level. Does yours do that?

With the demogorgon adjusted I don't have many glass hits. The backboard gets hit more now than the glass.

#13664 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Agreed. My experience is that I have to turn my flippers down a bit because at the start of a session, the ball hits too high on the mouth. However, the longer I play, the more the flipper power needs to be tweaked up to have that same consistency. I am going to install PinMonks flipper fans to control the flipper fade and make it more consistent throughout. Regardless of your spacers or flipper power, flipper fade is going to have some effect on this, IMO. Flipper fans on my AIQ completely resolved the captain marvel shot and a couple backhands.

Machines can be so different from one another. I don't notice any flipper fade on my AIQ and I play one game for 45-50 minutes regularly. Capt Marvel is a reliable shot for me thru the entire game.

As was mentioned by Chuck the hitting low is very common but there have been scenarios where it hits high. Spacer adjustment either way is the solution. It's best to use a phone camera with slow mo to see. I thought for ages mine was hitting high but after viewing the slow mo it turned out it was actually hitting low.

#13670 2 years ago

Strange, the shaker on mine rattles the glass like crazy when the demogorgon is destroyed. I like how it's implemented on my machine.

#13679 2 years ago

Mine is a real stern shaker. I have the weights set as it came from the factory. I originally had this shaker in a guardians and it really did nearly shake the glass apart but I didn't like how it was implemented there. I also tried it in AIQ and Munsters and I prefer it in ST so keep it there.

#13711 2 years ago
Quoted from fifftysor:

Unfortunately there is none with this title.

yeah, the attract mode button audio seems to be something Lonnie, the programmer, doesn't do these days. My guardians didn't do it either.

#13721 2 years ago

oh did they finally change that where's barb image? Gonna have to try that as it was a request from my son 2 years ago I had passed on to the team

#13743 2 years ago

I'm glad they nerfed tk multiball. Nothing was more annoying than watching people in tournaments start it over and over and over again. I use it to help complete modes that I have trouble with. it's a tool to me now more than a strategy.

#13748 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Unfortunately that’s still the play of the demo isn’t letting you make it.

I can easily beat someone trying to do that strategy by playing and completing modes.

#13757 2 years ago

Try a new SD card with a fresh flash of the software to eliminate card issues

#13759 2 years ago

If you are still using the one that came with the machine they go bad. Quality is not good with them. Out of 4 nib machines I've had 2 bad ones and the other 2 I replaced before they could go bad. On my stranger things it would randomly not boot until I opened the coin door then try again. Odd for sure. Replaced card and never happened again. Guardians also had issues. First thing I do now is trash the sd card and flash the latest software on a new one.

#13792 2 years ago
Quoted from AvngRHulk:

Contacted, hopefully they get back to me soon. The game already plays so much better with those simple adjustments. Now to install the topper.

I actually prefer that ramp. Mine looks very similar. I'd recommend doing the Demo adjustment by removing the spacers under it and the chin and all will be well. Get the ramp kit as a spare down the line once this one is beat up. The "fixed" one is longer and I really didn't like how it changed things. I went back to my original ramp.

#13796 2 years ago
Quoted from AvngRHulk:

Interesting, ill look into removing the spacer under the chin. If I do install the new one ill have to get some mylar

There are 2 black spacers under the demo that most people remove as well as the spacer.on the one way gate under the chin. Night and day change.

The updated ramp kit comes with new mylar. I'd reach out to stern and get it while you can and just tuck it away as a replacement sometime down the line. My ramp has taken a beating over the last few years.

#13797 2 years ago
Quoted from Ratman:

Help!!!
I have downloaded the new code onto a flash drive but when I turn on the machine it doesn’t read the usb…am I missing something???

Did you unzip them? I had to unzip them and place them on the root of the USB drive before the machine saw them.

#13828 2 years ago

For the first demodog mode I usually just hit the 2 standups under the demo. Usually quite safe to finish it out and I usually get 2 or 3 hits per shot up there depending on if I sneak it behind some drops still up. I regularly finish that mode targeting those 2 targets. I don't really worry about the increase you get from hitting all the targets.

1 week later
#13874 2 years ago

check to see if the up post is hitting the ball and slamming it against the rail. If it is then you need to cut the spring on the up post to make it raise slower. There is no adjustment for it in the software. I posted about it in this thread so if you search my name you will find my post which I believe quotes the original finder of that solution.

#13889 2 years ago

there are two spacers sitting under the demigorgon that you can either remove or adjust thickness on to change how the demogorgon's mouth sits. if you're hitting the glass a lot it's probably leaning back/up too high. you should also remove the little stopper the demo's chin sits on. i was in the same boat as you for three months- take the time to read the key posts and make the adjustment now, it's like adding a second game to your game to be able to work the demogorgon ladder
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/26#post-5455391

making that change you have to remove the spacer on the one way gate under the chin of the Demo as well. so in all 3 spacers are removed. That is IF the ball is hitting low which seems to be the vast majority. If it is hitting high then raising the demo by adding washers to the spacers to increase the height is the key.

#13917 2 years ago

FINALLY had a good game after what feels like being stuck in the 500-600 mil range for months. With AIQ in the house, which has been getting nearly all the play recently, I've gotten really rusty on Stranger Things. The shots on AIQ are so smooth and buttery while this game is just a challenge to me right now. I seem to be having the most trouble with the left orbit these days. Had a 420 million What's That. I'm pretty sure my best ever but that lead to a horrible TK1. I really wish there was a high score for some of those demogorgon modes.

IMG_20220205_154430560 (resized).jpgIMG_20220205_154430560 (resized).jpg

#13920 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Just played a couple games and could not for the life of me hit the left orbit from a trap. But then was hitting the crap out of it from a bit more of a roll.
Pulled my coin box to put some stuff in it and noticed the magic Stern gold dust. At about 150 games and probably about 85 of those quick 5 min max games by the wife. Need to do stops but unfortunately I put the machine under some hvac ducting so I can’t get the playfield to full service position unless I get unlazy and drag it out some.

I've been lucky with the coil stops. I just did the full flipper rebuild after about 4k games. I think I'm getting up near 5k now. For me the failure at 4k was one of the pins fell out of the plunger arm thingy. The other one was loose. Took the opportunity to do a full rebuild and wow were the flippers powerful after. I had to turn them down for about 200 plays and then finally they were back to what I was used to.

#13937 2 years ago

anyone thought about what to do when the uv led's start dying? There has to be some off the shelf replacement strips we could use. I've seen several ball strikes on the unprotected led's which makes me think their life span may be less than normal

#14013 2 years ago

This was posted on the previous page but cointaker has the premium uv kits for msrp + shipping. Mine just shipped today.

https://cointaker.com/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit1

#14016 2 years ago

utterly shocked that you didn't have it already. it's so cool

I have the pro version. I really wanted a backup and the metal apron. I bought my pro kit from Stern directly the day it was released.

Quoted from kempsuk:

When did you order your kit? I ordered mine on Tuesday, doesn't appear to have shipped as yet.

I ordered it Tuesday as well I think. Should be shipping soon for you.

#14018 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

I guess in tournament yeah, but 30M is small potatoes really.
I think my main issue is how it just doesn’t feel smoothly integrated into the game - it’s all a bit jarring. I’m nitpicking really but feels like it could have been so much more .

I think that's the point. The upside down always snuck up on Will at strange times and it was pretty quick if I remember correctly. 30 million that early in the game can be huge in competition and it's meant to be a distraction. Get 2x and it's 60 if you do it quick enough. I'll usually go for it early in the game as it's quick points but later in the game when I'm on the second drop targets one I usually ignore it and continue mode advancement. I always go for the 2nd ramp one. Those points can be huge. I enjoy the feature as it is. Too much time in upside down would be jarring I think.

I do wish there were more than 2 variations on it but at this point it is what it is.

#14020 2 years ago

I'm guessing I'm SOL on that warranty playfield Stern owes me. I was told back in December the last run of the game was happening and I should be receiving the playfield soon. I've been following up every few weeks to see what's going on. They were saying it should ship soon until today. Got a response back that the playfield is backordered. With the game out of production I seriously doubt I'll be seeing that replacement cause they are not printing one just for me I'm sure.

Now we'll see if I get that warranty playfield for AIQ due to the clear chipping and taking off the graphics.

#14021 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. My only complaint is more variations. Just one more would’ve been cool. Maybe a spinner one where a rip would rack up a value and you wouldn’t collect the points until the spinner stopped. So rip to drain, no points.

that would have been cool

#14034 2 years ago

I think my high was around 120. Got it on my 2.5 bil game. Don't have a pick of it tho. I reset my games often as friends come over. Current high is around 80.

How many people have completed save will comboing all the shots and getting the huge bonus on that? I've only managed it a few times but it's an awesome feeling.

#14055 2 years ago

Premium uv kit just arrived. Can't wait to get it installed tonight. Is anyone with a pro adding led's to light the triangle plastics?

#14057 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I have done it on most of my games in one form or another, I just drilled out GI holes in some of my older aprons as those new GI holes are fantastic and I wanted them on some of my pre spike2 games.
Basically used the equivalent of Comets Matrix range, makes it super easy and super quick to do a DIY lighting job.

I've seen the matrix products. Good idea, thanks!

#14093 2 years ago

besides my home STh, i very rarely have the chance to play for ninety minutes to work up to a fun/enjoyable game of pinball. all my opinions are through the lens of competitive play so you can treat them as such
i'm also a disagreeable ornery asshole, but my strategy for LoV (and Rush and Halloween) remains "put your coins in something else instead"
...and to be more than fair- none of those three games are finished yet. everyone thought STh sucked at first, too. myself included. ill get to reevaluate both games when i head back up to AYCE G for their Rush launch.

funny that's my turtles strategy. Not to play it

#14102 2 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Any advice welcomed, where do I start to replace the two black rubber post on either side of the middle drop targets?

you have to remove a lot of the screen area to get to it. I believe I shared a bunch of pics when I did mine so search my name.

#14103 2 years ago

well, after Stern telling me the playfield is backordered with no ETA it showed up today with no notice. Clear is thinner than the one currently on the machine but it looks good. No ghosting or anything. I'll probably send it out to get it re-cleared when I have the funds.

IMG_20220218_133057655 (resized).jpgIMG_20220218_133057655 (resized).jpg
#14109 2 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Thank you very much!

found the post if you have not. Basically have to take both ramps off to get at the mount screws for the screen. Lean it back as much as you can to get at those without taking everything off.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/201#post-6260793

#14110 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

The drop targets began cutting into my post rubbers pretty much immediately out of the box. I haven't yet shaved the corner of the outer drops like some did.

my original ones were cut completely through and were in two pieces when I replaced them. Even with clipping a good bit of the corners off the outside drops my new post sleeves have been cut into as well. Holding up better but I guess I need to shave some more off.

#14113 2 years ago

I'm installing the premium uv apron on my pro and I gotta say, I'm disappointed in the quality of the apron. I've had to adjust the metal a LOT to get it to fit on the machine. The vertical areas were bent significantly. I also have scratches all over the plastic on the triangles. At first I thought it was just smudges but glass cleaner did nothing and novus just cleaned it up a little. Might have to take some heat to it to clear them up. There are also scratches in the metal but they are in areas that won't be seen too much. Anyone else see these issues?

#14119 2 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

I got a kick out of this. I actually traded my ST Prem for TMNT Prem.
No regrets.
Kinda a shame both games suffer from unresolved in game crash bugs.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that like that game but I just can't get into it. Hate the shots and hate the code design for it. It's too funny I won one of the launch tournaments at a local place for it so I see the plaque on the wall all the time. Luckily for me not many places around here have it anymore so I don't have to deal with it often.

I have not experienced a game crashing bug with the latest code of ST.

#14125 2 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Got my premium one last week, installed yesterday on my pro. Fit perfectly without issue and looks brand new. Sorry, sounds like bad luck, possible refurb/return?

Yeah really odd. I emailed stern with pics of the plastics asking for advice. We'll see what they say. Worst case it'll probably require sanding down then hitting with heat to polish it. Not what I would want to do to a new product I just bought.

Hard to take a pic of but you can see the scratches. My aiq prem is perfect. Really shocked at this.

IMG_20220220_110044351 (resized).jpgIMG_20220220_110044351 (resized).jpgIMG_20220220_110104335 (resized).jpgIMG_20220220_110104335 (resized).jpg
#14129 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

In a show of solidarity for the Count’s substandard premium UV kit apron, one of the rivets on the eye bolt snapped on mine when putting it back on last night. I guess I’ll try this screw/washer/nut replacement, screw head sticks out a bit though.
Maybe posting this to laugh about dimples in the drain lanes more than anything.
[quoted image]

Sorry to hear that. Might want to shoot stern an email about it. I just got a response from Pablo that they will be sending me replacement plastics and they apologized for the issue.

#14134 2 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

The left ramp pretty much sits on the metal ball guide below and within two weeks out of box / less than 50 plays was already cutting into the underside of the ramp. I put some thin metal tape on the guide and it seems like it hasn’t gotten any worse.
Was an issue with others in the thread but generally took more time to come to light.
[quoted image]

It took longer to notice it than anything else. You really gotta be looking to see it at first. Mine was torn through and cutting into the ramp before I caught it. Highly recommend people with pro's do something before it starts doing it. Stern wouldn't send me a new ramp for that one even though the plastic is gouged. They did send me a new graphic though.

I also recommend people put mylar on the under side of the slingshot plastics where that one post without a screw is. My plastics now have spots where the art has worn off which sucks.

#14142 2 years ago

It is easier to get to that screw if you remove or lossen the ramp. You only have to do it once though. Don't replace that screw when you put the demo back in and removing the demo again is just the one side plastic and the two bolts under.

#14146 2 years ago

Stern was quick. My replacement plastics for the uv kit have already arrived. Can't argue with that.

#14182 2 years ago

I've removed the ramps many times. Unless you really crank down on them to strip the holes it's not going to be a problem. It's plywood not composite

#14205 2 years ago

pros tend to be sort of taken out of the box and thrown on location, moreso than premiums/les. there is probably some inherent ratings bias in people willing to spend 33% more for a cosmetic upgrade and a very weirdly implemented but ultimately unique mech in the tk lock

With this game it's a huge problem for those rating pros that only play on location due to what you say. It takes quite a bit of tweaking to this game to get it to play well and not frustrate people and it seems a good number of ops don't do that work. I've played a number of Premiums and pros in the wild and nearly all of them suffer from the mystery to sling issue, left orbit issue, and difficult demogorgon shot. Some were better than others but the ops are not putting as much time getting them to play better.

I had one op who refused to put ST on location come over to the house and try mine out and he was surprised how well it played. He thought I had a magnet or something to pull the ball into the demogorgon mouth. Nope just adjusted properly. He said he's never once played a game where that shot was successful.

Then take into account all the early reviews when the code was under revision .9. Anyone around back then can attest the game was rough. That last 10 percent changed a lot for the better. Those that play on location are not coming back to redo their reviews and many people I know just hate the game because of the early experience and don't come back to try it or don't have the ability as it's not on location anymore.

#14232 2 years ago

post was hitting mine no matter what I did. Had to cut the spring down to have it come up slower. Wish there was a software delay setting for this.

#14242 2 years ago

It is a standard spring. I think I pulled one out of my bin from an old williams flipper coil for F-14 and it was exactly the same so I cut down the old williams one and saved the stock one. I'm pretty sure I've now lost the stock one though lol.

I think it was this one https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-376

#14244 2 years ago

Here was the post I did with a pic of the spring and how far I cut it down https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/224#post-6353362

#14251 2 years ago

After a couple hundred plays I gotta say Im really digging this game. Definitely sticking around for a while. I just switched out the Operation Mirkwood music for Herbie Hancocks “Rockit”, the quintessential early 1980s jam, its awesome pinball music.

apart from all the work cleland did, which is awesome, I've add Rock you like a hurricane to TK multiball and sunglasses at night to monster hunting. Playing with pinball browser is fun

#14281 2 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Im pretty sure the action button is only a mode select button on AIQ

mind gem lets you collect shots, number of shots and times you can use it depends on level of the avenger it's on.

#14312 2 years ago

wow replacing balls every 500 plays? I think I've done it once in more than 4k plays and that was just because the stern pinballs are cheap. I replace them when they look pitted and I don't see much damage on mine. Now my AIQ... That thing needs new pinballs every few hundred plays due to so many exposed metal ball guides.

#14360 2 years ago

Do you guys anticipate any further code updates?

no

1 week later
#14429 2 years ago

When they sent me optos it was just the part. I had to solder them in.

#14432 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

I don't know why you guys accept this sort of thing. Since pins are now the price of used cars, let's use a car as an analogy. If the starter went out on your car because of a failure of one of it's parts while under warranty, would the manufacturer send you that specific part and expect you to remove the starter and repair it? Eff no! They would either provide a bolt-in replacement or you would take it to a service center for repair at no cost. Since the latter doesn't happen with pins, the former should be the solution.

how many pinball repair men are there out there vs car repair men? There is a grand total of 3 guys I know of in my area that do pinball repairs and they charge a good amount to come out to the house. As with car repairs, if you learn how to do it yourself it's a lot cheaper. Stern has sent me parts after nearly 2 years owning the machine. Just got a new playfield due to an issue with it 2 years later. Read the fine print on the Stern warranty. They generally go above and beyond IMHO

#14435 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Do you mean that it took 2 years to get a replacement, or that you told them about the problem when the game was 2 years old? I’ve got an issue with my new Rush Premium playfield, and I’m hoping it doesn’t take that long to at least get a response.
BTW I agree, Stern is great with parts. I bought a TWD Pro and it was missing one of the rubber strips in the backbox. I emailed to ask where I could buy a replacement, and they just sent me one. Really good guys there.

The machine was coming up on two years old when the problem showed up. Inserts are ghosting and getting worse. Just received it a month or so back.

#14439 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

LOL, so true - until the perfect pinball company comes along, at least we have Stern.
Maybe virtual pinball is a perfect as it gets? Cheap, never breaks, never needs adjustment, never needs cleaning. I wish Farsight was still grinding out TPA versions of my favorites.

they break, computers break, the vibrations from coils or SSF vibrations will do a number on your displays. They are not maintenance free if you go for all the bells and whistles. Then there is the learning curve and keeping up to date. When I had mine up and running I would take a day a month to do upgrades and new tables. It was a lot of work. My virtual pin is now in storage and it sure wasn't cheap.

#14473 2 years ago

the demogorgon modes can be extremely lucrative. I think my best "what's that" was over 450 million. If you don't have your demogorgon dialed in those modes get frustrating as there is almost no scoring associated with bashing the demogorgon over and over again. The best I've done is just over a billion playing through demogorgon modes and ignoring the rest of the game. That game I had a horrible what's that though. I'd guess 1.5-2 billion is possible with my skill if I were to play all the demo modes really well collecting the supers. You won't get much from bonus though and progression for extra balls is a lot harder. Basically have to keep shooting the burn it back over and over.

#14500 2 years ago

Could also be the sd card. My game came with a bad one out of the gate. Try a good quality one with a clean flash of the firmware. Stern has an SD card image area on the website with instructions. First thing I always do is replace the sd cards with good quality ones.

#14529 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I looked and all my extra SD cards and they are all class 4, Stern says you need to use a class 10 so I need to order one.
Stranger Things Premium Code is 3.8GBs, ok to use a 16GB one? What size do you usually use? I currently don't have access to my machine until Friday or I would look to see what was already installed.

It needs to be larger than 8. I bought a bunch of 32 gig since they were cheap

#14531 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Ok. So as long as it is larger than 8GB, it should be good?
I bought a 16GB off of Amazon which was only about 1 dollar less than the 32GB but I figured it was all I needed since the code was less than 4GBs.

Code is actually 8GB and barely fits on an 8GB sd card. It's just compressed on the website. Newer machines like rush are over 10GB. But yeah, anything over 8 and a class 10 is good

#14553 2 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

After looking at my machine the other day I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Although I have not had my machine reset at all (yesterday) I did notice that the two lights in the lane guide on the left hand side of the machine were flickering. This would happen with the machine idol but even more so when tapping the flipper buttons during game play.
Do I need to replace these sockets or the bulbs? I am assuming the node board is ok and the sockets just need to be replaced?[quoted image]

This is very typical for stern these days. The pinball life sockets are much better quality. Usually rotating the socket till it feels tight fixes it for a while. I think the ground connections are weak as nearly all of mine will rotate easily. They should not rotate at all. Every stern I have has flickering sockets but replacing these is not easy. I had to use a long nose stapler to tack the new ones down and then those started flickering not long after. If replacing use non stern ones.

#14557 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Usually those sockets are underneath the flipper bracket plates so it’s possible the whole flipper mechs need to be removed to replace the sockets.

this, entire mech needs to be removed to get at them and then replacing the staples requires a specialized tool with a long nose. I had to buy one to do the replacement. Made the mistake of replacing with stern sockets since they had sent them to me. Same thing happened. They are just crap. The socket is more like this one

https://www.pinballlife.com/miniature-bayonet-base-2-lead-socket-with-staple-down-mounting-bracket.html

where you staple after soldering.

#14561 2 years ago

Finally had some time to work on the game and install the under apron LEDs. Came out pretty nice. Hardest part was picking the light socket to tie into.

IMG_20220417_173303131 (resized).jpgIMG_20220417_173303131 (resized).jpg
#14596 2 years ago

This is the game that caused pinmonk to develop the fans. Fade kicks in around 30-40 minutes of play and drops off fast. For those going for the final wizard modes you will feel it later in the game. People saying it's not needed must not be playing long.

#14600 2 years ago

I routinely (2 or 3 times a week) make TI2 with no fans. Typically a 40 minute game. And my ball does not take the path up the diverter that Chuck's does either. Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to disagree lol

sure you can make it there but can you reliably hit the demogorogon? This is the data that I put together for Brian Eddy way back when before the flipper fans. This was after adjusting the demogorgon to be a reliable shot. I don't have a premium so the demo shot was what I used as testing.

15 minutes in - Left flipper trajectories are starting to change but shots are still easily makeable.
30 minutes in - demo shot is no longer makeable from the right flipper in a cradle. Left flipper has dramatically changed shot location for demo hit. Shots are noticeably lower on the demogorgon but still a doable shot. Can still make demo from right flipper on lucky shot on the fly.
40 minutes in - left ramp is starting to get harder. Demo shot still makeable but both flippers are noticeably weaker. Can still make demo shot but it's now 1 in 5 shots instead of 5 of 5 shots. Right flipper is now a no go for demo shot.
55 minutes in - Demo can only be made from a very careful shot from a cradled left flipper. Still makeable but a lot harder.

#14620 1 year ago

Has anyone contacted stern support about the projectors? If they were not able to procure spares for the next few years there are gonna be a lot of premium and le owners out there pissed when those start dying.

#14679 1 year ago
Quoted from LDP84:

Can you explain how you have done it and which parts you need? As this is still on my list. Found it would require two led boards, which i was able to locate. But i read something about spacers and I have no clue whether this would include soldering or just a standard set of wires. Thanks in advanced.

It really wasn't that hard. I bought two of these

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-single-led-board.html

I 3d printed my own spacers. They were 20mm high 10mm cylinders with a 5mm center hole for the screw. You can buy spacers at home depot and cut them down. I have a printer so it's really easy for me to make spacers and things like that. The screws I had laying around so I'm not sure exactly what they were. I think the threads were around 1 inch long. For mounting, I used the existing divots in the playfield for where to screw them in. I drilled them out first though.

The wire pic is before I cleaned it up. I used light 151 from the manual to connect to. I ran a set of power and ground from the light 151 up to the top of the playfield where I connected the left and right led's power and grounds to the source. You want to pick a GI white socket to connect to and that one was really easy to solder the new wires to.
IMG_20220417_165216341 (resized).jpgIMG_20220417_165216341 (resized).jpgwire (resized).pngwire (resized).png

#14690 1 year ago

Regardless of Brian's intent it is your machine so set it up how you like it to play. I have mine setup so that the ball hits the last target when the target is up and goes partially up the burn it back when it is down. Generally it does not go up far enough to trigger the burn it back. That's the part to me that feels like cheating. I do feel that it feeds much better if you can get it to go slightly into the burn it back instead of hitting the post and going off randomly. The ball almost always drops to the right flipper or hits the right ramp left entry target and bounces to the left flipper with the way I have it adjusted. Hitting the post when the drops were down caused mine to go SDTM too often

as for the demogorgon there is a high probability it's hitting low. The number of people who have had it hitting high are much fewer. If your phone has a slo-mo capability it's really easy to see it. The bottom lip gets hit causing the head to start back. Due to the angles it then hits the top of the demogrogon hard (which can look like a high hit) and then usually hits the glass or a nice arch to the center of the playfield where it hits really hard. When the demo is setup nicely misses usually land in the area behind the screen and don't generally come bouncing out to the middle of the playfield.

#14696 1 year ago

i actually picked ST in league last night which I never do as I hate hate hate the way it's set up at my league location but had a very very interesting happenstance.
EBs were turned on to be very easy so nearly everyone got one. However, we don't play EB's in league, we just plunge them. One of the people I was playing with started the Upside Down by hitting "R" with their EB skill shot but then drained STDM as you're not allowed to flip. However, the game kicked another ball in to the shooter lane but did not auto plunge it as the playfield had not been validated by three switch hits (not even sure this is a real thing). So they got two more free plunges at Upside Down targets at full value because the ball was sitting in the shooter lane, timer not running. I think I took second by less than those 15 million points :/
(still took a 32 for the night though, I'll take it )

I've seen that happen on several machines. I think there is a super grace period where if you drain you get a free ball not related to the ball save. It has to happen really quick tho and I don't always see it so not something you could really come up with a strategy to use.

#14712 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Has anyone installed one of these?
[quoted image]

I installed it on mine but thinking of taking it off. Balls get hung up on it a lot.

#14717 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

How do you adjust that? Mine are just below, there are no washers from the bracket to the playfield underneath, and I've got a small chip where that cliffy is...

There are two screws on the bottom of the mech that adjust a bar which moves the height of the drops

#14720 1 year ago

speaking as someone that installed all of the cliffys before i ran the first ball through the game, no, you do not need them, at all

I like to put his protectors on the shooter lane and trough. Depending on the machine the inlane drops from ramps sometimes really need it even tho those are prone to ball hangups. When it comes to the other ones there are pros and cons. Like balls getting hung up on the drop one.

#14726 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Has anyone swapped these out for color posts?
[quoted image]

yes, you have to remove the entry ramps to get at the screen mounts to loosen them. Once the screws to the mounts are removed you can tilt the screen back to get at those posts. Not hard just time consuming.

#14729 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Thx
What color did you install? Any pix?

I don't think I do. Next time I'm downstairs I can get you a pic. I use the perfect play rubbers all around in the purple. Looks good when on the machine and they react to the uv light by going pink.

https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-116-thin-stern-compatible-rubber-post-sleeve.html

They won't last as long as the hard rubber ones stern uses if you don't round off the far left and right drop targets. They hit the posts from ball strikes and dig into them badly. My original stern black ones were ripped in half which is why I replaced them. It does look awesome with the purple all around.

Some pics of the purple on the machine before I did the posts are here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/201#post-6260228

some pics when I was doing the work to replace them. Note that I was doing more than just the posts so there is more torn down than needed. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/201#post-6260793

and a pic of rounding off the drops with the purple on https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/202#post-6262070

#14732 1 year ago

i think i got kind of lucky in that my saucer eject never hits that post, because i don't wanna take the screen apart
it ejects and if it doesn't hit the last standup, it goes a little way up Burn it Back, then comes down off of the back side of left standup on the right ramp to richochet to the left flipper for a catch. now that i've waxed the game once in a blue moon it will make the whole loop but i feel fortunate that it doesn't hit that post

The outer drops themselves can do a tremendous amount of damage to the posts as well when they are hit at least on my machine. In that pic above you can see where the corners of the outer drops are creating a line. Mine eventually split the rubber in half as each hit not only causes the corner of the drop to hit it but then it slightly rotates the rubber. After a good number of plays it had rotated around enough to be completely cut in half. I don't know if stern ever saw this wear issue and addressed it in later builds. Simply rounding the back of the drops resolves a lot of it. The ball hitting the post doesn't do much.

If stern did fix it in a later release I'd love to see what your drops look like. I don't think I rounded mine enough as the replacement ones are now looking nearly the same.

#14734 1 year ago

they definitely have not changed it and they are hitting the posts. If you shave off some of the corners those post rubbers will last even longer.

#14736 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Has anyone seen any wear on their Demogorgon Bash Toy, thinking about buying an extra for safe keeping...

no, it's a rubber of some kind and seems to be well painted. I doubt it will take any real damage. Mine pretty much looks the way it did when I got the machine. Now I may buy one because mine is showing the right side of the metal mouth bit. I was told that is normal but it sucks to see the metal when I look at it

#14743 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

That's actually a very good suggestion, I was going to order through Pinball Life for other parts I need, might as well throw some rubbers in it. So the purple rubbers will turn pink, provided I pick up the "Perfect Play" models, right ?
As for rounding your target, how did you do it ? using a small file (not sure of the correct term) ?

Yeah the perfect play purple ones. I used a razorblade and just shaved the corner off. I didn't want to sand and create really small particles

#14748 1 year ago

is it wrong of me to not care that much and just spend the four bucks to replace them when they need it? lol

It's your machine, do what you want.

#14749 1 year ago
IMG_20200207_113930323 (resized).jpgIMG_20200207_113930323 (resized).jpg
#14754 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I looked at this very briefly today, are you saying you have to remove both the right and left ramp? I am thinking you do to get access to where the screen mounts to the PF. Then basically you just remove the whole screen to get access to it?
I figure you have to completely remove the left and right ramp I will work on installing the screen material on them as well.

Correct. The mounts are under the ramp entrances so you will need to move them to get at the mounts.

#14779 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Is that issue on the pro only?

The premiums have the decal on top of the ramp for the projector. The pros have the decal under the ramp and it's sitting on top of that metal guide which is causing the decal to be damaged. I'm sure the rubbing on the metal ball guide is damaging both premium and pro ramps but the decal, which is the big eyesore, only happens on the pro

#14781 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I still and totally lost on this one...

IMG_20201122_211846126 (resized).jpgIMG_20201122_211846126 (resized).jpg
#14783 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Is that on the ramp or below it? I can see the wear but the picture is so close, I can't get a true feel for where exactly it is or what is causing it?
Is that area visible in this picture?[quoted image]

Left entry ramp touching the ball guide for mystery.. on the pros the decal is under the ramp so the rubbing digs thru the graphic and eventually thru the plastic.

#14785 1 year ago

I have not fixed mine yet. Stern sent me a new ramp and graphics and I'll do something about it when I do the playfield swap and put the new ramp on. Probably a few layers of mylar though. The most ideal thing to do would be to take out that ball guide and shave a bit of metal off it so it's never touching the ramp.

#14787 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I think filing it smooth would be a good choice but it may give the ramp some support in that area as well. I will need to see how mine looks once I remove it.
Why are you swapping playfields?

Nearly all of my inserts are ghosting

#14789 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Did Stern send you a new one? As usual, any pix?

yes it was under warranty. There are pics in the thread somewhere. Just search my name

#14791 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah I found them, that's pretty crazy. What was your manufactured date?

it was in the first batch of non-operator machines. Got it 15 days or so after announcement

1 week later
#14815 1 year ago
Quoted from FunkyMusic:

I have exact the same issue on my pro, seems to be a common one. How did you got a new Ramp / Decal?

I emailed stern support pictures and they sent me a new decal.

#14844 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Who's installed a shaker in their stranger things? Worth it. I have a premium. Thanks!

I find shakers are definitely a hit or miss feature for me. Absolutely hated it on Guardians but love it on stranger things. I find that I tend to move the shaker from machine to machine when I'm looking to change things up. It's been the longest in this game FWIW

#14854 1 year ago

The designer mentioned that his intent was for the default to be the middle hole but for whatever reason they have been shipping them wide open. FWIW

1 week later
#14944 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks!! Adds a bit of excitement I guess.
chuckwurt went through your video. So only solution for ball bouncing out of mystery into left orbit where it’s not a clean return to left flipper was mainly levelling and then playing with left orbit guide? Post coming down and letting ball out does seem to put some rattle on the ball so it’s in the middle of the orbit lane and drops down to sling.

On my machine I had to cut the return spring to slow the up post down. Cut a little at a time and kept testing it until the up post was not hitting the ball anymore.

#14946 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I pulled a weaker spring from the parts bin and tried this. Still hits the ball. Cut a couple windings and still hits it. Gonna cut a couple more later. My right side return from the pops always goes to the left flipper, so that one has never been an issue.

I cut quite a bit of the spring.

#14948 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks. It’s a pity this can’t be fixed with a code release. I Could always remove the post ….

yeah, all it would take is a ball release delay setting. I don't think I've ever seen something like that in the adjustments though. At least it's pretty easy to tweak the spring.

#14998 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Ok. Yeah I may adjust mine. It just seems way to easy to get an extra ball IMO.
When you say it auto adjusted, is that from one game to another or total plays?

yes, the auto settings will change how many burn it backs are needed over time. On my machine it eventually got to 20 I think so I did like Chuck and set it to 10. The one on location near me seems to stay at 3 until league starts back up then it adjusts.

#15056 1 year ago

as i understand it, the game earns well on location but they had trouble moving them initially as operators didn't want them. the code sucking a big bunch of ass for the first year+ of release didn't help either
i was able to find a NIB LE last october. the game didn't exactly fly out of the warehouse

There was also that little COVID thing that took everyone away from the world 3 months after release

#15073 1 year ago

Season 4 has been ok for us so far. Pretty slow going through the first 4 episodes. I know people have been saying it's more horror but I'm not really seeing that. At least it's better than the orville and obi-wan. The orville is unwatchable.

1 week later
#15114 1 year ago
Quoted from LDP84:

Questions after playing a bunch of games:
- I notice and also read that sometimes the game has trouble to keep up with all the events. Noticed for example that once you are in a mode and for example demodog running and you shoot the demogorgon. It sometimes does not register that you made the pass and detects it as a mystery shot and does not lower the ramp. Is this normall?
- I was off the opinion that the demogorgon on the later batches was fixed. Still the shot seems hard and if I make them the game often detects it as a bash hit first and does no longer count it as a hit in the mouth. Any tips or pointers on how to fix this?
- Saw that some advised to lower the backbox lighting. Anybody has some suggested settings I can work with?

- if the drops are a bit low it can cause the ball to bounce and sometimes jump the opto. Look at adjusting the drops to see if they are high or low at all. I'd also recommend putting some felt or something soft along the top of the metal guide that is under the demogorgon to help slow the ball down if it is jumping the opto.

- Stern has a very low success rate of the demogorgon out of the box. There is a ton of information here on adjusting it. Long story short you need to remove the spacer under the chin of the demogorgon and adjust the height of it using the 2 spacers under. Since you mention many glass hits that would indicate the demogorgon is too high and you need to reduce the height of it.

- I use 25% when in game and 45% in attract mode for the backbox on all my machines

#15188 1 year ago

I stuck rock you like a hurricane for TK multiball. I've got it so when the van crashes down it yells "here I am, Rock you like a hurricane". Feels better to me than the stock tk multiball music and gives it some life

#15194 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Backlight on a specific portion of my backbox screen is starting to fail (bottom right part of the screen), resulting into a darker area. Oddly enough it does work correctly sometime, but it's kind of random.
Before I go out and try to repair, has anyone else encountered this issue ?

I've seen individual led's go bad on the boards both on the playfield and in the back box. It's pretty uncommon though. You can always try getting it warranty replaced. I've been surprised how responsive stern support has been in the past. It is on the main board i believe which may be a while before stern has replacement parts. This is always an option too

https://cointaker.com/products/stern-led-backbox-kit

#15203 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

It's the backlight of the lcd screen... Have to dismantle it to access and repair it.
Surprisingly, it's not your 'run of the mill' lcd screen, it's actually an industrial grade screen. Cheapest I found online is 148 dollars (not as an official stern replacement, but the exact reference used from Innolux)

Oh wow, thought you were talking about the backbox LEDs. I've never seen the lcd backlight go.

1 week later
#15245 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

Has any installed the Cliffy's ? I looked through the thread images and didn't see any posted images of them.

I have them all installed but will be taking the drops off next time I do maintenance. Balls keep getting hung up on it but the reset of the drops does knock it free. After more than 4k games on my machine I see no damage to the rear drop ledge so not sure it's needed.

#15254 1 year ago
Quoted from Bazzy34:

We have enjoyed our STh Pro. I tend to trade every 1-1 1/2 years for a new Pro. Our local distributor, whom I like, allows us to trade into a NIB Pro for $1,000. Thinking of trading our STh Pro for a Godzilla Pro. Does STh Pro have a higher used/trade market value for trade back to a distributor, meaning I should pay less than $1,000 difference, or is that still fair for this scenario…? I would appreciate any feedback, as I don’t want to miss anything in the trade equation. We started with NIB Star Trek Vault Pro, trading after a year and $1,000 for a NIB STh Pro — and now thinking of trading for NIB Godzilla Pro, for our STh Pro and $1,000. We are a 1-pin family. Thanks.

With prices as they are I'd think selling outright will get you a better deal. My buddy just sold his guardians for more than he paid and upgraded to Godzilla.

#15271 1 year ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Is there an easy way to replace the post sleeves under the demogorgin ramp? The 2 that sit behind the droptargets on the left and right. Do i have to remove that whole screen/dropdown ramp?

You have to remove or move out of the way both entry ramps and then remove the screws holding the screen assembly down. Then you can lean it back just enough to get the post sleeves off. It's not that bad actually

#15284 1 year ago
Quoted from Antron77:

For the screws holding the assembly down are they the 4 below? If so looks like on the left side I will have to remove the left ramp and return to get to them. I started taking apart the right side up ramp and noticed the left side is going to be a PITA. Wish i would have done this when I had the demogorgan off to adjust it. [quoted image]

yes, those are the ones. I've removed the left ramp so many times on mine and I usually do it completely. I unscrew the optos and undo the connectors under the playfield for the lights and uv kit if you have them. Then it's just a few screws to come out. The right one I don't believe I removed completely. I posted a pic here of how far I took it apart.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/201#post-6260793

I was doing more work than just the posts which is why the sides of the ramp are also removed as well as some demogorgon plastics. Those don't have to come off

#15301 1 year ago

Of the games I own Stranger Things is still the king. Getting close to 5k games played on mine. AIQ premium comes in second. We have a rush in league and I just can't get into it. I'm not a fan of band games in general but something about this one just does not click with me. Godzilla is good, my buddy owns one so I've got a lot of plays on it, but I'm glad I bought AIQ. Love that game.

This is why the best advice for what to buy comes down to play play play before purchase.

#15354 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Rush is a great game. The rules are incredible and they are only going to get better. I agree, though... The artwork is the weak point but play wise, Rush is the better shooting game than Stranger Things. The good thing though is the layout is completely different between the two which in the end makes them both a winner.
I just bought a Rush Premium the other day. Was NEVER a fan of Rush but this game made me change my ways quickly. I honestly think it's Borg's best game to date!

Definitely disagree with rush shooting better. I can't stand the game and hate playing it in league.

#15358 1 year ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think I’ll go talk smack about STH in the Rush thread. Lol. Come on, both are great games. I did find it a little harder to get dialed into the shots on Rush, but it’s a flow monster once you’ve put in 30-50 games. And I won’t argue about musical tastes - but I find the music in both Rush and STH to be pretty awesome.

Go ahead, this is the stranger things thread. I could not care less about what people say in that thread.

#15417 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

I paid 7800 for my pro 2 weeks ago. It has the uv kit, and art blades.
I saw the invoice from the seller. He paid 7800 new earlier this year… and it didn’t include the uv.
It seems presently 7800 for pro is in line.

I paid 5600 of course I had the game 2 weeks after release and have a lot more in it now..

1 week later
#15562 1 year ago

I think it is already determined the pro can run the pre/le code with the ball lock disabled. Question is does the hdmi have the signal or not. I don't know if the person who tried it took a look or not.

#15660 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Is it?
So you are telling me a game that shows 3000 lifetime plays that is in near mint shape is better than one with 1000 plays that looks like it has been through a war and back?
Horse Shit!

play count doesn't mean a thing to me. Condition is king. I've never understood this obsession with keeping the games low play counts. I bought them to play.

1 week later
#15782 1 year ago

Doesn't look like they fixed the one bug everyone has been complaining about with the mini wizard mode. Seems without insider connected I don't need to update.

I'm guessing this will be the norm now where they just keep all the games up to date on insider connected features not doing much game feature or bug wise for the older games.

1 week later
#15834 1 year ago

I shimmed mine with the equivalent of 2 washers each side

#15840 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

I pulled out the two spacers and put a washer on each side. It unfortunately still doesn’t make the shot any easier.
Did anyone have luck propping the demo slightly forward? It looks like that might help.

Propping forward won't do much. If you have a smartphone you should trying taking slow motion video. For the vast majority it appears the demogorgon shots hit low, that's what removing the spacers fixes. For a much smaller subset though the demogorgon hits high. In that case you may have to actually increase the height of the demogorgon. Usually when it's hitting high the demogorgon throws the ball back at you. Low you generally get really nasty glass hits. The slow mo video will tell you how to adjust it.

#15850 1 year ago
Quoted from Carls83:

Hey sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, I am new and just looking for any ideas. Not sure if any of you have experienced the denting on the playfield from the demagorgan ramp but if you have, has anyone come up with any ideas/solutions to try and cover it so it's not so obvious? May not be anything but wanted to throw it out there. Thanks

Over time the individual dents will start to flatten out as you play it. I think it was around 3k games where the main area started to look smoother on my machine. Try not to worry about it and enjoy the game

1 week later
#15946 1 year ago

I recently had a game on a flip frenzy go similar to Diddy. Going into the last ball I was down by like 80 million or something. I scored an extra ball and started a mode with the multiball. Ended that ball over 150 with the win. So just button shot the extra ball and it just happened to MXV skill shot. All I could say was oops lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

829 posts in this topic match your search for posts by c0untdem0net. You are on page 3 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider c0untdem0net.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/3?tu=c0untdem0net and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.