IMG_3764 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).png
20240410_201325.jpg
abba tk lock (resized).jpg
IMG_3111 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3109 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 333 of 448.
#16601 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

While I was able to get the new projector to display the Stranger Things video perfectly, it was not automatic:

Thanks for chiming in. It sounds like there is an "industrial/commercial version" that is a dumb projector and "consumer version" for travel use with phones and wifi streaming.

How to make the consumer version work? Perhaps a little addon box that pulses the power on/off and has an IR blaster that sets the projector to hdmi or maybe the IR blaster can turn the projector on and set it to hdmi?

Edit -
looking at the online manual it appears the IR remote can be used to turn it on off.
https://fccid.io/2AF6A-S6000/User-Manual/User-manual-2974196.html

#16602 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Thanks for chiming in. It sounds like there is an "industrial/commercial version" that is a dumb projector and "consumer version" for travel use with phones and wifi streaming .... looking at the online manual it appears the IR remote can be used to turn it on off.

Actually that would be the easiest way to use the OEM S6000 in the STh. After turning the game on, use the IR remote to turn on the projector and select the hdmi port. Would only take about 15 seconds to do that and your up and running. A minor extra step each time at game turn on and saving $450 on the projector.

#16603 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Actually that would be the easiest way to use the OEM S6000 in the STh. After turning the game on, use the IR remote to turn on the projector and select the hdmi port. Would only take about 15 seconds to do that and your up and running. A minor extra step each time at game turn on and saving $450 on the projector.

if someone verifies that this works that's a very attractive option. i'm not cheap, i just don't like paying $600 for $30 worth of physical material

just because we're bereaved doesn't make us saps

#16604 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Regarding the STh Projector
Just to clarify a few things, as I posted about a year ago in this thread, I acquired a new spare OEM S6000 projector for my STh Premium direct from the manufacture as they were readily available back then. $150 shipped. Same exact unit and model number. While I was able to get the new projector to display the Stranger Things video perfectly, it was not automatic:
1. When you turn the game on the new projector doesn't come on. You have to manually press the side power button on the projector.
2. When you turn the game off the projector stays on because there is an internal battery in the projector to keep it running on loss of external power. Again, you have to manually press the side power button on the projector to turn it off.
3. When the projector does come on there is an intro screen with some display options and you have to manually select (with the provided remote control) the "USB" screen and then I get the Stranger Things video.
So, the original OEM S6000 DOES have an internal battery, WiFi, and a wireless remote control. The Stern S6000 does not have a battery. This is further noticeable as the OEM S6000 is distinctly heavier. Don't know if the Stern S6000 has WiFi or wireless remote but that's moot as neither is needed. Disconnecting the OEM's internal battery did not help as it still needed the power button to turn on. The intro screen and the required USB menu selection needs to be disabled but unfortunately there is no screen setting that I can see/find in the OEM S6000 to get around that.
So how did Stern get their S6000 to auto-power on and also go directly to the correct display setting?
I suspect it's all firmware - but I'll let others speculate and/or inform.
Meanwhile I'll just wait and hope for a solution or sell it as is. Else I have a nice brand new fully functioning $150 pinball paperweight.

I just received a back up from Midwest Gaming. I plugged it in to my machine and it powered on and off with the machine. It looked and worked as it should.

Sappin' it up

#16605 1 year ago

to be clear i dont think MW Gaming is doing anything wrong and at the end of the day i'm glad the option is available. i just think it's criminal that stern set the price of a replacement at $600 and then didn't order enough to service warranties, apparently

#16606 1 year ago

When I asked stern the price of a replacement out of warranty when i got mine and they said $700 then. So they’ve actually gotten cheaper. Haha

#16607 1 year ago

i always thought the whole assembly was 700 but the projector alone is 600. that's how marco has it.

ultimately doesn't matter, i'm gonna have to buy a spare of some kind because in the future having a spare will make selling the game easier/more profitable. using the remote to turn the projector on and select the source is probably less time than the game even takes to do the light check, from power to lights on my game is like 30 seconds

at the end of the day i've only ever heard of two projectors going bad. Chuck's and then that one dude's that burned out, and he never detailed what happened to it.

#16608 1 year ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

i always thought the whole assembly was 700 but the projector alone is 600. that's how marco has it.

I see. Maybe that’s what I was quoted as well.

#16609 1 year ago

my projector survived 9 months in the box and a train and truck trip all the way across the country and a forklift stick and using the uhaul ramp to bridge the gap from the lift gate to the truck and then me driving it from the loading dock to my house in pouring rain in a janky uhaul and riding down a rickety ramp on a wobbly dolly to the final destination.

if it burns out because of a 35 cent fan i'm gonna be bent lol

#16610 1 year ago

Hey y’all my Stranger Things pro left down post started acting up. I know there are 2 optos under that left ramp that trigger it. I need the receiver side which I think is part # 520-8116-00rx. It’s sold out at Pinball Life and Marco. Anybody know other parts places that might have it?

72FBC573-8EE7-44DA-8402-9E734F2DB291 (resized).jpeg72FBC573-8EE7-44DA-8402-9E734F2DB291 (resized).jpegD273764F-0DBB-49EE-816D-097A4473E873 (resized).jpegD273764F-0DBB-49EE-816D-097A4473E873 (resized).jpeg
#16611 1 year ago

search google with this exact string including the quotes: "520-8116-00"

looks like plenty of euro places have it but VAT is gonna make it expensive

#16612 1 year ago
Quoted from rawbars:

Hey y’all my Stranger Things pro left down post started acting up. I know there are 2 optos under that left ramp that trigger it. I need the receiver side which I think is part # 520-8116-00rx. It’s sold out at Pinball Life and Marco. Anybody know other parts places that might have it?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Don't have a source for ya, but have been waiting months for my replacements from stern so can attest they could be very hard to track down.

#16613 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Regarding the STh Projector
Just to clarify a few things, as I posted about a year ago in this thread, I acquired a new spare OEM S6000 projector for my STh Premium direct from the manufacture as they were readily available back then. $150 shipped. Same exact unit and model number. While I was able to get the new projector to display the Stranger Things video perfectly, it was not automatic:
1. When you turn the game on the new projector doesn't come on. You have to manually press the side power button on the projector.
2. When you turn the game off the projector stays on because there is an internal battery in the projector to keep it running on loss of external power. Again, you have to manually press the side power button on the projector to turn it off.
3. When the projector does come on there is an intro screen with some display options and you have to manually select (with the provided remote control) the "USB" screen and then I get the Stranger Things video.
So, the original OEM S6000 DOES have an internal battery, WiFi, and a wireless remote control. The Stern S6000 does not have a battery. This is further noticeable as the OEM S6000 is distinctly heavier. Don't know if the Stern S6000 has WiFi or wireless remote but that's moot as neither is needed. Disconnecting the OEM's internal battery did not help as it still needed the power button to turn on. The intro screen and the required USB menu selection needs to be disabled but unfortunately there is no screen setting that I can see/find in the OEM S6000 to get around that.
So how did Stern get their S6000 to auto-power on and also go directly to the correct display setting?
I suspect it's all firmware - but I'll let others speculate and/or inform.
Meanwhile I'll just wait and hope for a solution or sell it as is. Else I have a nice brand new fully functioning $150 pinball paperweight.

you did NOT have the original s6000 projector. you had what sounds like the M4.

the original s6000 does *not* have a battery.
the original s6000 does *not* have wifi.
the original s6000 does *not* have a power switch.
the original s6000 does *not* have special stern firmware.

what ever projector you had was not the original s6000. it really sounds like you had the M4 or M4s, which did have all those features (aside from the stern firmware, which *none* of the projectors have, be it s6000 or m4/m4s.)

I have made the m4s works in a Stanger things. but you must do some small mods to the unit to make it work. but the m4s is physically a bit bigger so the mount is different.

#16614 1 year ago

I’m not seeing anything so far in US.

#16615 1 year ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I accidentally broke that little opto off and managed to solder it back on. It can be done with the sharp edge of a pointed soldering iron tip or the sharp edge of a chisel tip. It's scary, but doable. I soldered mine back on as I figured I'd find no replacement.

#16616 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

the original s6000 does *not* have wifi.

This link says otherwise. I'm sticking to my guess that there is a commercial version and a consumer version.

edit - when I look closer, that appears the be the M4 shown with the lens on the left and more square shape in the manual.

I wonder if he can post a photo of the projector he has.

#16617 1 year ago

Damn, this is disappointing. I guess I’ll order from over seas and wait forever. There doesn’t seem to be a setting to disable that post.

#16618 1 year ago

I got my projector today from Pinball Life. Odd it came with no box, just a little projector wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a small box with tape over it.. Is this what the others have experienced? There wasn't even a packing invoice which made me think maybe it was a mistake.

#16619 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

I got my projector today from Pinball Life. Odd it came with no box, just a little projector wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a small box with tape over it.. Is this what the others have experienced? There wasn't even a packing invoice which made me think maybe it was a mistake.

Yes. When I got mine from stern, it was packed the same way.

#16620 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

that's oem, baybee!

#16621 1 year ago

Well I found those opto receivers and ordered 2 from a France parts store. The German parts places didn’t seem to want to let me choose shipping to US. At least I got some on the way.

In the mean time I just disconnected that down post at the connector and pulled it out of the game. Now its at least playable. It doesn’t stop the ball at the beginning of some modes. But other than that I don’t see any harm done.

#16622 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Heat is apparently what's a contributing factor to the ones dying, which is independent from the life of the bulb. So having a backup unit or implementing some kind of active cooling to reduce temps in the casing seems important.

I already have your flipper fans installed on the game, which have made an huge difference, and a NOS projector on the way. Any chance you’d consider working on an add on cooling solution for the projector?

#16623 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

This link says otherwise. I'm sticking to my guess that there is a commercial version and a consumer version.
edit - when I look closer, that appears the be the M4 shown with the lens on the left and more square shape in the manual.
I wonder if he can post a photo of the projector he has.

that manual is NOT for the s6000.
The S6000 has a standard HDMI port, *not* a mini hdmi port (as that manual shows.) That manual is for the M4 or M4s, or even something else.

#16624 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I already have your flipper fans installed on the game, which have made an huge difference, and a NOS projector on the way. Any chance you’d consider working on an add on cooling solution for the projector?

If I still had a Stranger Things I'd be looking at it for sure, but it's something that I'd need to be hands on with to get it right.

#16625 1 year ago

I swear I’ve seen this before but I have a pro and noticed that the demo ramp when up doesn’t perfectly align with the sides. Is there any way to adjust it? It sits a little forward.

#16626 1 year ago
Quoted from rawbars:

Well I found those opto receivers and ordered 2 from a France parts store. The German parts places didn’t seem to want to let me choose shipping to US. At least I got some on the way.
In the mean time I just disconnected that down post at the connector and pulled it out of the game. Now its at least playable. It doesn’t stop the ball at the beginning of some modes. But other than that I don’t see any harm done.

If this game is still playable like that, oh man that would be amazing. Still no noticeable issues? I would absolutely do this so I can at least play my machine till the replacement comes.

#16627 1 year ago

I only had the game about a week when this happened. So I am not super familiar with everything that the down post did. For the most part it seemed like it stopped every ball that was shot into the mystery target and direct hits to the demogorgans mouth.

I guess this gave you time to look at your mystery award and watch some mode start animations. But it pretty much released the ball fairly quickly. Now the ball just doesn’t stop at all so you just have to be ready for it to come rolling out immediately. I guess it’s better than not being able to play it at all.

#16628 1 year ago

Does anyone think that there will be a mod in the pro that you can add the projectorer to you game? Thoughts?

#16629 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

Does anyone think that there will be a mod in the pro that you can add the projectorer to you game? Thoughts?

If anyone made these as a mod, my guess is it would cost the customer 3-4k. That seems like a non starter to me.

#16630 1 year ago

yeah if you think about it that post is only there to hold the ball so the mode/demodog/EB animations can play, it shouldn't really affect game play much except that it will release the ball early on a mode like trap 'em

#16631 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If anyone made these as a mod, my guess is it would cost the customer 3-4k. That seems like a non starter to me.

A projector that's going for 600 right now and adding prem code to a Pro. I'm not expert, but that seems easy, unless there is some controller board for the projector itself.

From what I heard, you can just make your own Mando topper as the code is all there and attach an LCD to topper and it will feed you the proper images to the LCD mini screen, so that's what made me think about his projector mod.

#16632 1 year ago

A projector that's going for 600 right now and adding prem code to a Pro.

It was posted that does not work. There is something special about the premium/LE CPU board done at the factory to enable the video output.

You would also need a modified apron. Screen material installed. Secure projector mounting hardware. 5v supply. Power and video cables.

#16633 1 year ago

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words:
Stern S6000 + Retail S6000-1sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-1sm (resized).jpg
Stern S6000 + Retail S6000-2sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-2sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-3sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-3sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-4sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-4sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-5sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-5sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-6sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-6sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-7sm (resized).jpgStern S6000 + Retail S6000-7sm (resized).jpgI bought the original S6000 OEM version over a year ago in hopes of using it as backup in my STh premium. Of course there are internal differences as both were designed to do different things. The original OEM version has a battery, Wi-Fi, and IR for the wireless remote control. The Stern S6000 has no battery, likely unique firmware, and no need for wi-fi or IR.

Bottom Line - BOTH are model S6000 projectors made different for different applications.

#16634 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words:
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]I bought the original S6000 OEM version over a year ago in hopes of using it as backup in my STh premium. Of course there are internal differences as both were designed to do different things. The original OEM version has a battery, Wi-Fi, and IR for the wireless remote control. The Stern S6000 has no battery, likely unique firmware, and no need for wi-fi or IR.
Bottom Line - BOTH are model S6000 projectors made different for different applications.

But what do the CIRCUIT boards say? Are they different model numbers?

#16635 1 year ago

A projector that's going for 600 right now and adding prem code to a Pro. I'm not expert, but that seems easy

Sounds like you have a very lucrative business opportunity on your hands. But Clay already mentioned how difficult this is to pull off, so I say you’re looking at closer to 1500-2000 in cost, at least.

#16636 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Sounds like you have a very lucrative business opportunity on your hands. But Clay already mentioned how difficult this is to pull off, so I say you’re looking at closer to 1500-2000 in cost, at least.

actually it's not that difficult to get the projector to work on a pro, it's just expensive. i have a projector on my pro with it running premium software. but after you add up all the retail costs ($1500+), i'm not sure it's justified. Now if you could get the stern parts at discount, it's not terrible. but at retails prices (like $600 for a projector), it adds up quick.

on those projector pictures above, those are *not* the same projector. the case is the same, but the internals are nothing alike. but the good news is it's easy to take the battery/wifi version and make it work in the stern. just need to do a couple small internal changes. the fact that the case is the same really helps, as you can use it with the stock stern mounting brackets/hardware. but it's a moot point as that projector is NLA.

#16637 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

actually it's not that difficult to get the projector to work on a pro, it's just expensive. i have a projector on my pro with it running premium software. but after you add up all the retail costs ($1500+), i'm not sure it's justified. Now if you could get the stern parts at discount, it's not terrible. but at retails prices (like $600 for a projector), it adds up quick.
on those projector pictures above, those are *not* the same projector. the case is the same, but the internals are nothing alike. but the good news is it's easy to take the battery/wifi version and make it work in the stern. just need to do a couple small internal changes. the fact that the case is the same really helps, as you can use it with the stock stern mounting brackets/hardware. but it's a moot point as that projector is NLA.

Where is the other 900.00 after the 600.00 projector?

#16638 1 year ago

I have the projector and the oem power supply, also have all 3 versions of cleland premium codes. I figured i need some cables ? And screen material yet

#16639 1 year ago

Hey cfh, is there a reason you’re keeping it a secret on how to get the projector running on a pro?

#16640 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/145212

Looking to join the club if anyone has 1 for sale or knows of 1 for sale

#16641 1 year ago
Quoted from 03whtlightning:

Hey cfh, is there a reason you’re keeping it a secret on how to get the projector running on a pro?

When someone figures out that, the price of le and premium will drop

#16642 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

No it won't.

#16643 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

LE will always be the LE, so no effect.

The only conceivable one that could be affected is the Prem, but if this mod costs $1500-2000 to implement and is still janky because you're running Prem code on a Pro, then I don't see much of an impact.

#16644 1 year ago

i haven't laid out the procedure to put a projector on a pro for a few reasons. for one it's expensive and hooky to get set up. and you need access to a premium machine too as part of the set up. someone could offer a kit to do it. but for joe average, it's not easy (again, unless you have access to a premium.) at the vfw we have both a premium and pro side-by-side, so piece of cake. but nearly nobody else has that access. and frankly most people that bought a premium (and spent the big bucks) probably don't want you playing frankenstein with their game.

#16645 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But what do the CIRCUIT boards say? Are they different model numbers?

I never took apart the Stern S6000. The original OEM S6000 was advertised by the manufacture as the model S6000.
BOTH are model S6000 projectors made different for different applications.

#16646 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

I never took apart the Stern S6000. The original OEM S6000 was advertised by the manufacture as the model S6000.

Doesn't mean anything. The revision screened on the board tells the story.

#16647 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Doesn't mean anything. The revision screened on the board tells the story.

Well, you have to start somewhere. I suppose the Stern S6000 could really be a Model M991234 circuit rev 1.191b - but so what? It says in the Stern STh manual that it's an S6000 and no one seems to dispute that. Geez.

#16648 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Well, you have to start somewhere. I suppose the Stern S6000 could really be a Model M991234 circuit rev 1.191b - but so what? It says in the Stern STh manual that it's an S6000 and no one seems to dispute that. Geez.

Absolutely. Start somewhere. But don't stop at the casing and marketing. Find out if the two are the same product or not by looking at the boards.

#16649 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Absolutely. Start somewhere. ......

The intent of my picture posting was specific and I'm content with its contents.
It will be interesting to see if an alternate lower cost backup projector for the STh can be made/found!

#16650 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

and you need access to a premium machine too as part of the set up. someone could offer a kit to do it. but for joe average, it's not easy (again, unless you have access to a premium.) at the vfw we have both a premium and pro side-by-side, so piece of cake. but nearly nobody else has that access. and frankly most people that bought a premium (and spent the big bucks) probably don't want you playing frankenstein with their game.

So reading between the lines here there’s a one-time flip of something, like swapping in the premium CPU, then swapping the Pro back?

I’ll bet to some degree the people that would want to do it would be able to find help in the community if that were the case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 22,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 333 of 448.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/333 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.