IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).png
20240410_201325.jpg
abba tk lock (resized).jpg
IMG_3111 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3108 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 329 of 448.
#16401 1 year ago

I like the m4 as a possible worst case scenario back up, but I guess my question is will the image size line up correctly with the projection screens in the game? I see with most of these mini projectors the only way to increase or decrease screen size is by physically moving the unit closer or farther from the projection screen. Obviously we wouldn’t be able to do that with it mounted in the machine under the apron. Thoughts?

#16402 1 year ago

... And I'm in.

20221008_213317 (resized).jpg20221008_213317 (resized).jpg

#16403 1 year ago

Enjoy! Best game out there.

#16404 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Enjoy! Best game out there.

I absolutely agree. I have thought about selling because of the prices but, I just can't. Its such a great experience playing this game.

#16405 1 year ago

So I was just wondering…is there a Mod of Vecna’s house with a blueish light inside? I added a picture? Would be really cool.

6A275021-C9C7-4F98-9978-CF7B16C297F9 (resized).jpeg6A275021-C9C7-4F98-9978-CF7B16C297F9 (resized).jpeg
#16406 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

my ultimate goal is to get the projector working on Pro hardware. that's really the key here. the exact projector type is really not the issue

But why not just take the almost $10,000 in profit already on my waitlist just to find a plug and play replacement for those Premium/LEs? I would think this would be the logical first step because that one will be most likely to retrofit right into the pro

#16407 1 year ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

nope, says Stern Pinball as it's been moved to the archives.</blockquo

But why not just take the almost $10,000 in profit already on my waitlist just to find a plug and play replacement for those Premium/LEs? I would think this would be the logical first step because that one will be most likely to retrofit right into the pro

Give the Pinball Ninja some time... If a problem is gnawing at him, he will very likely come up with a solution.

#16408 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

I have some new information regarding the M4 projector (the replacement for the s6000 projector on Stranger Things.) In fact the M4 does work when connected to a Stern Premium. All i did was turn the M4 projector on, and connect the HDMI cable to the Stern computer in the backbox. And it sure does project the images just fine. Here's a test pic, with me holding the M4 projector:
http://pinrepair.com/stranger/m4_2.jpg
So can the M4 be used as a replacement for the s6000? well yes, if you're in a pinch. It's not a perfect replacement though. For example, the M4 has a battery inside (it will run for about 2 hours without a power adaptor.) If you want to use the M4 in the Stern pinball, you have to cut the red battery lead, so the battery is disconnected. This way the unit powers up when it's plugged in, and obviously powers down when power is removed.
http://pinrepair.com/stranger/m4_5.jpg
But there's more issues. For example, the M4 is not the same size as the s6000. And the projector lens is player side left, instead of player side right. These are no impossible things to overcome, but they make the M4 *not* a perfect bolt in replacement.
http://pinrepair.com/stranger/m4_3.jpg
http://pinrepair.com/stranger/m4_4.jpg
Also the HDMI port is different on the M4. The s6000 uses a small HDMI port, where the M4 uses the larger size HDMI port. Not a big deal, but you would have to replace the 6 foot extensions HDMI cable that Stern uses with the s6000 projector. The bigger problem is the projector mounting brackets and the lens position. Again, none of these issue are insurmountable. But they sure are inconvenient.
http://pinrepair.com/stranger/s6000_1.jpg
http://pinrepair.com/stranger/s6000_2.jpg
The last things I wanted to tackle was using the M4 on a Stern Stranger Things Pro (loaded with Premium software.) The game will play like this, but unfortunately, the Stern software blocks the HDMI premium video signal to the projector. So you get a blank image (not a missing image, but a blank image.) If there was some way to trick the pro into thinking it was a premium, the M4 could be the solution to making a Pro version act like a Premium with a projector. But unfortunately I don't know how the game knows if it's a pro or premium. I'm thinking it may be the node boards that determine this, but i'm unsure.

Did you compared both cpus in the backbox? Would be intresting if there is any difference on the boards.

#16409 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Nah, it’s just a bulky budget one. Nothing that would suit this application, but I just figured if that cheap hunk of junk included an orientation option, surely these $200 ones have to as well. Kinda surprised they don’t.
Have any of you looked into this Kodak one? It seems to have button controls on top. I’m trying to get to find the manual to see if it has keystone correction (probably not too crucial for how head-on the projector is) or orientation adjustments. EDIT no orientation or keystone adjustments seem to be in the manual. Bummer. The control button on top is simply for playback of the sd card contents.
I have a stranger things premium and I’ve experimented with hooking up a simple lcd display to the output, and that seems to work just fine. It’s interesting how little of the actual projector’s resolution is used. I’m guessing the proximity of the projector to the screen just kinda limits what you’re physically able to do with how most projectors are designed. They do make cool use of this effect in the “where’s Barb” mode - the projector will project a ton of ??? question mark signs that go as high as the speakers on the back box.
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtYsLre
Kodak projector can be found on aliexpress. For a bit cheaper.
But it seems to have also a battery inside.

#16410 1 year ago

The Pro and Premium CPU boards are identical, at least visually. Part numbers are the same too. But i suspect the cpu board gets memory flashed at the factory for their intended application (be it Pro or Premium.) This may prove to be a problem, unless there is some way to re-flash the board with the appropriate code. i suspect neither you nor i will ever be able to do that. It kind of sucks because you are now married to Stern if there is ever a CPU board problem with any game. Right now that's probably not a huge issue. But older games (even older games with Node boards) are being sunset. For example you can't get earlier versions of Node board at this point. Stern has sunset those boards. Which means, at least in the short run, you could be screwed if you have a node board failure, as Stern won't sell you a replacement.

This whole thing goes against what Stern originally told us with node boards.... "it will be better, cheaper, with a failure, just buy a new and cheap Node board." With like 15 different Node boards, and the price of them $100 to $400, that really turned out to be a lie.

#16411 1 year ago

Here's a screenshot of the email conversation with Lonnie and another one with Chaz.
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 1.53.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-10 at 1.53.31 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 1.55.02 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-10 at 1.55.02 PM (resized).png
#16412 1 year ago

Can someone please point me towards where to find the upgraded material to apply to the screens that will make the images brighter? Can't seem to track it down through search. Thanks in advance.

#16413 1 year ago
Quoted from adamross:

Can someone please point me towards where to find the upgraded material to apply to the screens that will make the images brighter? Can't seem to track it down through search. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link for the material:

https://shop.elitescreens.com/store/p127/Sample_Screen_Material.html

It's called Starbright9 instead of Darkstar9.

And here's the thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-stranger-things-prem-le-darkstar-9-screen-details

#16414 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Here's a screenshot of the email conversation with Lonnie and another one with Chaz.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I wonder if the game code is signed...If not, perhaps a motivated person could use a hex editor to find the appropriate guard in game code and make it zig instead of zag.

#16415 1 year ago

Out of curiosity--if running Prem code on a pro CPU, what do you see on the lcd? Is it the same as on Prem, or is it showing what you would see on the pro?

If it's the same as Prem, maybe second HDMI port is disabled in bios/UEFI? If not, and it shows pro lcd, I could definitely see it being some check in game code.

#16416 1 year ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Out of curiosity--if running Prem code on a pro CPU, what do you see on the lcd? Is it the same as on Prem, or is it showing what you would see on the pro?
If it's the same as Prem, maybe second HDMI port is disabled in bios/UEFI? If not, and it shows pro lcd, I could definitely see it being some check in game code.

The game runs and plays fine but the HDMI port for the projector is disabled.

I swapped in the working MPU my black knight during my troubleshooting and the HDMI port was disabled on that as well.

Once I received the new MPU from stern it fired right up no problem. Something is causing him the HDMI port to be disabled.

This would be an interesting thing to figure out because it's be cool if you could enable the port and then have projector mapping mods for other games triggered by the factory code.

#16417 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

The game runs and plays fine but the HDMI port for the projector is disabled.
I swapped in the working MPU my black knight during my troubleshooting and the HDMI port was disabled on that as well.
Once I received the new MPU from stern it fired right up no problem. Something is causing him the HDMI port to be disabled.
This would be an interesting thing to figure out because it's be cool if you could enable the port and then have projector mapping mods for other games triggered by the factory code.

That's cool. But asking more what's displayed on the main lcd for a pro running premium code as it may give a hint where the checks are in code. If the main lcd acts the same as a premium I suspect the check would be something lower level, like bios etc.

Could maybe try to cross check with games like star wars that also have a second display (assuming that's using the second HDMI out on the screen above the 3 bank).

#16418 1 year ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

That's cool. But asking more what's displayed on the main lcd for a pro running premium code as it may give a hint where the checks are in code. If the main lcd acts the same as a premium I suspect the check would be something lower level, like bios etc.
Could maybe try to cross check with games like star wars that also have a second display (assuming that's using the second HDMI out on the screen above the 3 bank).

Or see if a Star Wars will operate fine (with mini lcd) when swapping in a “regular” generic spike cpu. If it does, then ST might have a unique lock. Maybe someone in the Star Wars owners thread had to swap an cpu at some point.

#16419 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Or see if a Star Wars will operate fine (with mini lcd) when swapping in a “regular” generic spike cpu. If it does, then ST might have a unique lock. Maybe someone in the Star Wars owners thread had to swap an cpu at some point.

That would be an interesting test as well.

I was thinking a test where you use eg a Star Wars cpu in in STh as a starting point. And then possibly some comparisons in game code, etc.

#16420 1 year ago

when running the Premium Stranger Things software on a Pro the HDMI port is not really disabled... You don't get a "no signal" message on the projector, which means it IS getting a signal... just it's a "blank" signal. The projector is displaying something, but it's merely a light blue blank screen, which really shows up as nearly nothing. I guess it's better than "no signal", which is indeed what the projector displays when there is no signal.

#16421 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

when running the Premium Stranger Things software on a Pro the HDMI port is not really disabled... You don't get a "no signal" message on the projector, which means it IS getting a signal... just it's a "blank" signal. The projector is displaying something, but it's merely a light blue blank screen, which really shows up as nearly nothing. I guess it's better than "no signal", which is indeed what the projector displays when there is no signal.

Cool. I wonder what would happen if you take, e.g., a Star Wars board and pop it in?

#16422 1 year ago

If somebody cracks this, the Pro will absolutely be the definitive Pro to own from Stern I think! This would be a revelation, fingers crossed!

#16423 1 year ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Cool. I wonder what would happen if you take, e.g., a Star Wars board and pop it in?

or this :

acdc twd (resized).jpgacdc twd (resized).jpg

happends when i get a 2nd hand replacement CPU for my TWD, still with the ACDC code on it

#16424 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

or this :
[quoted image]
happends when i get a 2nd hand replacement CPU for my TWD, still with the ACDC code on it

HAHAHA

#16425 1 year ago

Looking to get back into the club. Started watchin the show again and am almost through season 3. What a great season. WIthout reading all the posts is there any way to add some of the newer monsters or has code updates totally stopped. Looking for a Pro as I think the premiums have shot past my budget .

#16426 1 year ago

I'm on 1.05, and there are clips from season 3 & 4 that play in attract mode, but I don't know if that's just because the code I'm using is custom...(?)

#16427 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

I'm on 1.05, and there are clips from season 3 & 4 that play in attract mode, but I don't know if that's just because the code I'm using is custom...(?)

Yeah, that's not from Stern

#16428 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Yeah, that's not from Stern

Ah. Thanks, wasn't certain.

#16429 1 year ago

Are there any games that people would say are similar to Stranger Things in terms of simplicity of the code but a grind to get to the final wizard mode?

I’m really enjoying Stranger Things but thought casual pinball guests wouldn’t as it can be a bit brutal and fast but I had some guests round and they absolutely loved it. Some of the easier games that I know they’d like wouldn’t have enough to keep me interested, I have limited space so that matters too.

Stranger Things just seems to be a lovely balance of easy to explain but still plenty to do, so I’d love to know if there’s anything similar, something with modes too. Thanks!

#16430 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Are there any games that people would say are similar to Stranger Things in terms of simplicity of the code but a grind to get to the final wizard mode?
I’m really enjoying Stranger Things but thought casual pinball guests wouldn’t as it can be a bit brutal and fast but I had some guests round and they absolutely loved it. Some of the easier games that I know they’d like wouldn’t have enough to keep me interested, I have limited space so that matters too.
Stranger Things just seems to be a lovely balance of easy to explain but still plenty to do, so I’d love to know if there’s anything similar, something with modes too. Thanks!

Elvira HoH's pretty simple to grasp and not super-deep. There's also pretty frequent multiballs. The only question is if the humor hits. I liked the camp, my kids hated it and thought it was dumb.

#16431 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Elvira HoH's pretty simple to grasp and not super-deep. There's also pretty frequent multiballs. The only question is if the humor hits. I liked the camp, my kids hated it and thought it was dumb.

One of my problems with Elvira is the final wizard mode is such a disappointment, I feel like Gappa Angry is the best mini wizard mode but the fact you can cheese getting to it by draining mbs during ball saves let’s it down imo. Agree that it’s great for guests and quick explanation though.

#16432 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

One of my problems with Elvira is the final wizard mode is such a disappointment, I feel like Gappa Angry is the best mini wizard mode but the fact you can cheese getting to it by draining mbs during ball saves let’s it down imo. Agree that it’s great for guests and quick explanation though.

Yeah, that's a different criteria. For casual guests that you just want to understand the game quickly and get rewarded with cool things in the game who will have no chance of seeing the final wizard mode anyway, Elvira's a great choice.

#16433 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Casual guests are obsessed with stranger things.

Kids and adults alike. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game do that before. Maybe MM

#16434 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

I have LOTR in the house and I feel like it’s pretty guest-friendly (modes, fairly frequent multiball action) and yet challenging enough to get to Valinor.

GB and DP are probably in the list of games guests would like but I’m not sure would be deep enough for me to keep a long time at home. GotG similarly (I don’t have many plays on it / don’t know much about it)? Even if you have limited space you could just trade out sooner than later if a game doesn’t hold your attention for a long time.

#16435 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Offering a very nice Wh20 in MD soon for anyone that is thinking of leaving the club

#16436 1 year ago

Loving the new backglass…makes it pop

74246DC5-01E4-42B1-A44E-1E042E9D7CA4 (resized).jpeg74246DC5-01E4-42B1-A44E-1E042E9D7CA4 (resized).jpeg
#16437 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Casual guests are obsessed with stranger things.
Kids and adults alike. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game do that before. Maybe MM

It’s funny because I thought it was going to be one that people played 1 game on and shake their head and move on to something else but it was the favorite by far. They didn’t even need to know the theme, one guest said she loved the ‘gorgon-flower’ lol

#16438 1 year ago

Good ole fashioned simple fun. I think that’s exactly what Eddy was going for with this one as a homage to AFM.

#16439 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I have LOTR in the house and I feel like it’s pretty guest-friendly (modes, fairly frequent multiball action) and yet challenging enough to get to Valinor.
GB and DP are probably in the list of games guests would like but I’m not sure would be deep enough for me to keep a long time at home. GotG similarly (I don’t have many plays on it / don’t know much about it)? Even if you have limited space you could just trade out sooner than later if a game doesn’t hold your attention for a long time.

Thanks for the suggestions. GotG was one I wondered about, straight into a mode, obvious Groot target, 2 flipper games are good as some still don’t use additional flippers on other games. I’d love a LotR but not being able to bump up a ball save might make it too quick for guests, unless I’m wrong on that?

#16440 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good ole fashioned simple fun. I think that’s exactly what Eddy was going for with this one as a homage to AFM.

But simple fun in a way that Munsters (which was also supposedly supposed to be simple fun) totally failed. Where Stranger Things is fun, Munsters is quickly boring. Given how much I was looking forward to Munsters, it was a real disappointment in that regard.

#16441 1 year ago

Having an issue with the demogorgan registering mouth shots. I clean the sensors it works then stops again only registers a regular hit.

#16442 1 year ago

SThings is simple but fun, while theme is of course very good & working well with the pin

still experiencing our (in location), and here're 2 more small points that may need attention from the code side

- (already said) get BONUS HELD in the game, not in the mystery, this is way too much important in the scoring
- 1 smart bomb per game only : add more ! thrue gameplay and/or mystery
- (linked to above) sometime, hasard is making things bad (i know you can roll the modes before starting them) : as you have started DEMOGORGON, the ramp is down (and you really dont want to shoot for it, level 1 & 3), than you start MONSTER HUNTING or ISOLATION (and oups, have to shoot for the drops or the center trap)... i know what 99% will think : in these cases, your fault/bad luck, than shoot for the DEMOGG first

#16443 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

It’s funny because I thought it was going to be one that people played 1 game on and shake their head and move on to something else but it was the favorite by far. They didn’t even need to know the theme, one guest said she loved the ‘gorgon-flower’ lol

Cant wait to get it I love the theme. Curious why casual players like it?? Is it the ramps? Shooting the flower? The pro seems kind of bare. Not much "kinetic satisfaction" as Elwin calls it.

#16444 1 year ago

It’s the demogorgon. People love shooting it.

#16445 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s the demogorgon. People love shooting it.

well, may be not too much here (lol) as while its set up, its very hard to "get in"
in something like 100 games, i think i'm at... 3 shoots in the hole

i cant/will not tweak that, its a (home) location pin
same with the PP on the playfield, this is so bad, it makes ball jumping quite every time it in the inlanes, when falling from the ramps

#16446 1 year ago

You aren’t casual players.

And it sounds like your demo needs adjustment. It should make like it does in this video. Why you won’t tweak that, I’m not sure.

#16447 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Cant wait to get it I love the theme. Curious why casual players like it?? Is it the ramps? Shooting the flower? The pro seems kind of bare. Not much "kinetic satisfaction" as Elwin calls it.

Think it’s mostly the demogorgon. Shoot the ‘gorgon-flower’ is easy and satisfying, more so with a shaker motor too I think. The uv kit kicking in was popular too. There’s also not a feeling of not understanding what’s going on and you can shoot basically any shot to get something to light up on the playfield. You don’t have to look up at the screen to know what’s going on either.

I’d actually say people were making most ramps and shots in general on AIQ but then when they had to select a gem quest they got all flustered, selection would time out just as I had explained again what they had to do and it would start and then there was too much going on.

Even so, just from watching I thought people would say AIQ was their favorite because to me it looked like that was what most people were doing best on.

I think it’s easy to forget how early on in a game non-pinball players need something rewarding for it to be fun. Just making a few ramps isn’t fun enough for most. I should have known because JP has also been popular in the past with the ball eating trex, even though no one gets past the second paddock.

I think Stranger Things will be here quite a while!

#16448 1 year ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, may be not too much here (lol) as while its set up, its very hard to "get in"
in something like 100 games, i think i'm at... 3 shoots in the hole
i cant/will not tweak that, its a (home) location pin
same with the PP on the playfield, this is so bad, it makes ball jumping quite every time it in the inlanes, when falling from the ramps

Tweak it, it makes the game better and more fun and makes guests clap themselves lol

#16449 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Thanks for the suggestions. GotG was one I wondered about, straight into a mode, obvious Groot target, 2 flipper games are good as some still don’t use additional flippers on other games. I’d love a LotR but not being able to bump up a ball save might make it too quick for guests, unless I’m wrong on that?

I can’t remember if there’s any adjustability in there re: ball save or target game time. I feel like Mrs. Blizz has maybe mentioned once or twice something about not getting a ball save & I’ve explained the difference between that and newer machines that are more giving…but in general I’d say some (a lot?) of casual’s games end pretty quickly ball save or not and it’s not too frustrating for them as they can just hit the start button again in a home environment.

People do love the demogorgon. Casual players also seem to magnet to center shots & on STh that means 1) demogorgon opportunities and 2) quick games

#16450 1 year ago

Question: during gameplay does the action button LED do anything other than occasionally flashing red? Does it flash different colors on different modes?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 22,387 posts in this topic. You are on page 329 of 448.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/329?hl=rx2006je and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.