IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg
IMG_3764 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3761 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3762 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

654 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinmonk. You are on page 2 of 3.
#7841 3 years ago
Quoted from Flaverflav:

I lose every highscores except grand champion without reason. This is the second Time (2800 games). Does someone Know this issue ?

You have a third reset coming up. The stock settings reset scores after 1000 plays. Change that in the settings and it won't do it any more.

#7868 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Demogorgan head
Demo dogs
All the kids on bikes with the mind flayer in the background moving kind of like the WH20 topper.

Or some kind of lenticular diorama that also reacts with the upside down lighting to change in that mode. So you get both motion and hidden stuff appearing in the UV lighting.

#7900 3 years ago

Kurt Deangelo's livestreaming the final wizard mode right now (currently on stage 4 of 7 in the final mode):

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

#7953 3 years ago
Quoted from Joeymonkey:

Has anyone ever posted a Wanted to Buy ad? I was trying to do it the other day and it seems like it cost $45 to place, does anyone know if that’s true? I get paying if you sell a game, and maybe a small fee to post a WTB ad, but that seemed a bit high. Any advice would be appreciated.

Why not just put it on your wishlist? Pinside will notify you for free when a pin on your wishlist is put up for sale.

#7972 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

We checked the switches are correct in switch test and 90% of the time the game works correctly.

Stranger Things code seems to be running poorly internally with the delayed reaction of things that happens sometimes. I would not be surprised if it were just down to poor programming. This IS Lonnie we're talking about on code.

#7986 3 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

Quick question - the white cover popped off of one of the targets by the left ramp. I see that there are spares in the accessory bag that came with the machine, but the one that fell off seems fine and just needs to be put back on.
Is there any particular type of glue that should be used, or any glue such as crazy glue is okay?

I wouldn't use glue. Try 3M 467MP adhesive roll and cut a square to fit. Clean the target carefully and finish with rubbing alcohol then stick.

#8067 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Man the flipper fade on this game is real. Played 3 games consecutively and the last game was a good one and the flippers were LOTR-like at the end. Funny thing is I did the same thing on Rick and Morty and those flippers faded down the stretch like every horse I’ve ever bet on. Guess I need to go shopping for some flipper fans.

This is the machine that started it all. My quest to document flipper temps on all modern machines and the resulting Tibetan Breeze cooling kits started with Brian Eddy (and Chuck Wirt) right on this machine.

#8069 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Well the good thing is both of these games are so damn fun I don’t mind the cost and, hopefully, the time spent installing them.

Installation is probably 10-15 minutes, depending on how many flippers you're installing them for. Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

#8099 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Hi guys considering a pro and have a few questions
- what are the differences between the pro and prem demogorgan? Does the pro demo register hits outside the hole or only direct shots to the hole?
- is Steve in this game? He’s by far my favorite character and would love to have some Steve call outs/video clips
- any idea when the UV kit will be available again? Seems sold out everywhere
- any downside to using the premium UV kit on a pro? I read something about soldering additional leds- is that needed?
- will cleland continue to support this game for future updates? The sound mod is a must have for me
Thanks

Prem/LE demogorgan shakes kind of like Munsters Herman.
Isn't Steve in one of the shots in bullshit mode?
UV kit is supposed to be available again in March, but I'd preorder if you haven't already. Might be the last run.

#8103 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Thanks, do you know what website is taking uv kit pre orders?

I heard cointaker was, but don't know that firsthand.

You might want to email terry @ pinballlife.com and ask if he will order one for you. I get pretty much all my special order stuff (even the weird/offbeat stern parts) through him and he's great.

#8161 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Same thing happened to me when I was selling my dialed-in someone was posting it on Craigslist and Facebook hope no one got Bamboozle

Time for robin to implement a pinside watermark on market photos to discourage scams using them elsewhere?

#8206 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s like double the original price. Are you talking about the UV kit?

Maybe you got a Stern F&F discount. I looked up my order from April and it was $279 as well.

#8255 3 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Our STh's Pro has been having several issues for quit some time w/ Demogorgon hits & problems w/ the ramp. The ramp becomes stuck in the down position when turning the machine on & sometimes during gameplay.
I have tried contacting Stern w/ these ongoing issues w/ no such luck. After two attempts w/ a wait of over six weeks of no response from Stern, this is becoming frustrating.
We have had the majority of modern Sterns in the house, but STh's has lasted the longest. This game is excellent as long as it's working 100%. What is the best avenue to receive a quick response from Stern?

Ramp stuck down seems to indicate that it doesn't know where the ramp is. You probably need to adjust the down switch or the up switch or both. Run the ramp test in the system menu and see if both the up and down switches are registering properly when the ramp is opened/closed. If not (my guess is not) adjust the switches so they register again.

#8262 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I'm in!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Front legs on before you lower the front to the ground!

#8274 3 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

No problems whatsoever w/ the ramp switches registering. The problem is, when I turn the game on the ramp mechanism activates but the plastic "elbow" prawl overcompensates then becomes stuck in the down position. The playfield needs to be lifted constantly to undo the straight rigid plastic ramp guide to slightly angled. When slightly angled the ramp can now move feely up & down.

You mean this part?

If yes, are you sure it's not just going too far before the (stop, ramp is down) switch engages when the ramp opens and that's what shifts the linkage? If you bend up the "down" sensing arm of the switch so it enables sooner it would stop this from happening (if this is the linkage you're talking about).

part_party (resized).jpgpart_party (resized).jpg

#8276 3 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Okay, I understand exactly what you are implying. The sensing arm is most likely too much in the up position causing the ramp to go too far forward. I will try slightly bending the sensing arm down to alleviate the push forward on the wheel that guides the ramp. I'm sure this is the problem, but us rookies need extra explanation. I appreciate your help!

You can also loosen the switch screw body to reposition the angle of the switch to get a little more or less action.

#8297 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I had to unload from my vehicle through gameroom door by myself. This is the preferred method in my situation.
Have to say I was not impressed by the look of this machine outta the box.

Ah! It looked like you laid it down straight outta the box. Getting the machine from the box onto 4 legs is the only part of the NIB experience consistently do not appreciate.

#8308 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Uv kit question. Is there really a protective film on the back of the plastics stern sends? The directions say remove from front and back of plastics and seems like only in the topside.
Please lmk know.

There was on mine. It may be hard to get started. Try scraping with your fingernail in an area with near the edge with white on the underside. That should wrinkle up the plastic and make it a bit more visible there, plus give you a starting point to pull it off.

#8310 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

Yea I've been trying, seems no film on backside as it's just scraping the white coating. Already made little scratch.

Weird. Well, if you're scratching the white coating, there's no protective plastic there, so I'd stop.

#8316 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

No idea what I’m doing. F@ck
I will put in a ticket with stern. [quoted image]

That's the right place, now just break/block the opto beam with your finger and see if it registers in the switch test on-screen. If it doesn't you likely have a broken wire or bad opto.

#8332 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Tough call. I like both games a lot and don’t plan on getting rid of either. I’d say STh has a slight edge because of theme. Don’t hate maiden but don’t love them either. Honestly if I were you I’d probably get rid of SW and pick up IM and STh.

Agreed. SW is the weakest link. A lineup with Maiden, GnR SE, Deadpool, and STh would be rock solid.

#8334 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Nah I love SW, GnR would leave before it.

GnR it is then. When do we make the swap?

#8506 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

So is there a problem with production vireland ?
I ordered and paid for 2 kits 2 weeks ago and nothing. Total silence.. No word on when they'll ship or why there is a delay.

You're likely in the changeover to the 2.0 Spike kits. I left the 1.0 kits up a little too long and accidentally oversold them, so the excess orders will be getting the 2.0 SPIKE kits for the 1.0 kit price. I just got the new foam for the packaging on the new brackets, so I'll be catching up this coming week and should be caught up by the end of the week.

Here's what the new 2.0 SPIKE kit looks like installed in an Avengers IQ 3 Flipper coil install...
3_Flipper_Kit_sml (resized).jpg3_Flipper_Kit_sml (resized).jpg

3rd_flipper_close_small (resized).jpg3rd_flipper_close_small (resized).jpg
1 week later
#8708 3 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Anyone else having that ball guide led closest to the flipper on the left side flickering? I've seen Deadflip's machine doing it as well. Same light. Stern told me it was likely a bad socket so they sent me 5 spare sockets and a bunch of led's. I finally got around to replacing it last week because I had to purchase a long nose stapler to replace the staples under the left flipper mech. Got it all replaced including a brand new led, made sure the light was centered in the hole to reduce vibration, and here we are less than a week later and it's flickering again. Flickers on ball hits to the slings, flipper actuation, and balls in the lane.
Really frustrating

Stern uses CRAAAAAAPPPPY lights. Put some comets in there and maybe also get some sockets from pinball life. It's likely the bulbs and maybe also the sockets, but usually the bulbs because Stern buys theirs from the cheapest place in China and the sockets from the runner up for that prize.

#8726 3 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Seems like there are so many issues that I am terrified to get my Prem I have waiting for me! Lol

Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself.

#8741 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I did mirror blades on MBr, Powerbladez on BKSOR, and art blades on STh. Each time I said I would pull the playfield out and I didn’t. Felt like more work to do so and I didn’t want to mess anything up, but during and after each install I was cursing.

You had frustrating installs with art blades? Did you use the wet method? It's SUPER forgiving. Easiest method of all for art blades.

#8805 3 years ago

$666 and not a penny more.

Edit: I see the logic of having 11 in there somewhere. So, $666.11. The battle for Hawkins summed up in one topper price.

#8879 3 years ago

It cracks me up how Cary Hardy is trying his hardest to see how the infinity mirror fits into the theme of Stranger Things using really obtuse logic from episodes to shoehorn it in when the REASON it fits is those were popular in the 1980s where the show is set. Think Space Invaders pinball and Hankin's Empire Strikes Back Pinball. Both came out around the beginning of 1980 and feature the effect, but it was not uncommon to see infinity mirrors in the 1980s in general. I believe there were some arcade games that had it, too.

#8882 3 years ago

I saw that. I had a jukebox from the 80’s and it had infinity mirrors on it. He had to find something to hate about it.

I just think he honestly did not know that infinity mirrors were a 70s and 80s thing and that's the connection to the show. Young 'uns talking foolish from their limited pool of knowledge.

And now that you mention it, I absolutely remember infinity mirror jukeboxes, too. One of the round table pizzas in town had one back when the chain actually had a round table in every location with the knights of the round named on the seats.

#8883 3 years ago

When do you think the toppers will ship? Do they ship to and then from the distributor to us?

I'm assuming they will ship soon. Re-runs of toppers are also starting to filter out again. Elvira and Stranger Things are imminent, then:

Zeppelin
TMNT
Avengers IQ
Jurassic Park

In roughly that order. Supposedly there's still a backlog with shipping delays exacerbated by congestion at the ports.

#8886 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Is Cary Hardy the worst person in pinball?

I haven't seen much of his stuff. The Stranger Things topper one was the only one I stuck with longer than a couple minutes because I was curious if he'd ever get to the right reason for the infinity mirror being chosen for STh. Why would you think he was the worst person in pinball?

#8927 3 years ago
Quoted from TheCapn:

This by all means isn't meant to throw off your discussion on STh. Continue.

I had no idea what your pinside handle was so I couldn't ask you directly, but now I can. Did you not know that infinity mirrors were a 70's/80's thing and that's why the topper has that motif?

#8952 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I don't know but I received and installed mine last night. Ended up having a marathon game (about 45-50 mins and 2B+ points). It made a nice difference.
It takes much longer for the flippers to weaken. However after about 30-35 mins I couldn't make the TK lock shot again. Still making the virtual lock but not making it up to the backboard magnet, which is better than coming back down the ramp STDM.
I will experiment with more powerful fans and/or hobby motor heatsinks.

Are you sure a fan didn't quit? There should be no performance difference over time.

#8953 3 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

Does anyone know when Pinmonk's fans will be back in stock?

I had a few brackets break at the junction between the fan box surround and the stand for the R&M and jjGnR kits that were out, and that's the bracket I was moving the Spike kits to, so I've redesigned the bracket and have it out being tested. The 1.0 bracket was rock solid on Spike, so I may go back to that until I get some more real world time with the v2.5 bracket and make sure it's strong enough for the long haul on Spike. Also, vibration (I think) caused some fans to fail with one or both leads breaking off the circuit board with the 2.0 bracket, so the stiffer 2.5 bracket should help that. R&M and jjGnR have more severe shaker motors, so looking to reinforce the leads as well.

Anyway, Spike kits should be back in the store one way or the other next week.

#8956 3 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Still the right ramp is not registering every ball, opto seems fine... 7 of 10 times it works fine... What must i do?
https://streamable.com/rw1zrx

Do you have the cover on the right ramp? It's hard to tell, but it looks like maybe the ball is riding up on the ramp walls as it comes up and hits the corner.

#8961 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I wish there was some way to request code refinements. Not bug reports but things that probably should be in the code but aren't(prem/LE):
- There should always be something projected on the drops and standups. Whatever that is.
- The left ramp banner should display time remaining for demodogs and demogorgan 5. It only displays for chapters right now.
- Slings have no sound associated? I don't care what it is. a beep, a boop, whatever. it just feels odd with no sfx
- Make use of the other projection banners. why are they there?

This is Lonnie code. You are asking too much. His code barely gets the rough edges sanded. Polish is way too much to ask. Laziest coder at Stern, or maybe he's just overworked because he does system/OS level work that all the machines use, too. But then again Tanio did Spike low-level OS code and his Deadpool code has a level of polish a Lonnie game will never see. So, not sure, except that Lonnie games always are lacking in polish.

#8965 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I was hoping with MXV and Eddy also on code it would get more refinement, but I’m overall happy with the polish it did get.

Oh, I think it's fine, but it's never going to be up to a Lyman or Tanio level of polish. Lonnie just seems to have a threshold when he codes, and once he hits that, he dusts his hands off and moves on. That said, I hope Brian pushes to get one more round of code done. No video mode in an 80s-themed game with an arcade featured prominently would be close to some kind of crime.

#8969 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

80's themed or not, I hate video modes on pins, so no thanks.

I'm assuming that there would be an option to turn it off in the settings so everyone gets what they want.

#8971 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

0% chance of more code. It’s done.

Boo. One more demerit in the Lonnie column.

#8974 3 years ago

Now that I'm looking at it, I wish they had tweaked the front mirror so it would have the lights moving toward the center as it goes toward infinity instead of looking like a very squished, long cave. Still, points for trying something new with the usual few pieces of plexi that Stern thinks is worth $649.

#8977 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why would you assume that? I couldn't turn it off on SW.

Was it a mystery award in Star Wars? <--- your answer

#8989 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

No. Lights for # of drop target sweeps and Han Solo gets it as one of his modes.

Right. Because it's used as a mode in Star Wars, it can't really have an "off" option without something to replace it. But since it would likely be a mystery award (as was hinted early on), it could easily be optionally turned off in settings for those that don't want to shoot demodogs.

#8994 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ah I see what you’re saying now. Yea, much like GOT, turn off that trashy video mode...much like most video modes in pinball, there should be an option to turn it off. What would be cool is if they added Dig Dug as an Easter egg that you can play when the game is in attract mode; i.e. not during gameplay. Video modes suck in pinball! *runs to the hills*

I'm okay with fun relatively quick video modes. Example: Mine carts in Indy, choose wisely in Indy, bar shootout in Indy, torpedoing boats/water skiers in Fish Tales, Saucers in AfM, Jumping in Dr Who, Phurba avoidance in The Shadow, etc.

I HATE bad video modes: Sword fight in GoT, Asteroids in Star Wars, Stream crossing in Ghostbusters, card guessing in Ghostbusters, etc

So conditionally, I like video modes, but given the number of good vs bad ones, it's hard do do it well. It's astonishing that Indy has 3 that are all pretty good and well-integrated into the game.

2 months later
#10891 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Awesome! I cannot make key posts.
PinMonk can you?

Done. In the index under TECH:TOYS now.

#10895 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Probably too late - don’t see any Stern accessories in stock at Marco or Pinball Life.

If you email terry at pinball life, he can often special order stuff that isn't on the website.

#10954 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Without PinMonk’s fans, my 5th game plays very differently than my first game. This is most noticeable with the Demogorgon shot. I consider it money well-spent.

The difference on a game like Stranger Things (the one that started it all with the coil temps) really is night and day if you've been playing without active cooling and then have it. Thanks for the mention! And I'll say the usual - if you play your pins for less than 30 minutes at a time, you likely do not need a fan kit. Most of the fade really starts after you've been playing a while. Usually about 30 minutes, but sometimes sooner. Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, and PotC/GnR are standouts in that you get fade pretty quickly, though.

#10968 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

It’s literally an animated version of the graphic behind it. I’m baffled by your take lol

It would look better if the art on the backboard was lifted 1/4" and chained individual LEDs were put in the pattern lines of the electricity coming off her fingers, then have then trigger in an animated way when lock is qualified, and the ball is locked or released. But I'm not sure how the TK lock would be affected with the surface moved forward a little.

#10970 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Telekinesis has nothing to do with electricity, hence my confusion.

I guess Stern artists just needed a visual aid for the backboard, and on-demand electricity shooting out of fingers rules so they went with that.

#10997 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Per Zach at flip n out, no more premiums are being made. Talked to him about it a month or two ago.

ZMeny could probably start a list and get a couple hundred Premiums presold and do an old-school Jersey Jack-style FlipnOut-only run now that the game has some strong interest and prices on the prems are going up.

1 week later
#11177 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You got lucky imo. Hopefully you never have any issues. Not worth the risk for me.

I've sold well over 100 pins and using a combination of local, Chris Fox for CA/NV/AZ shipping, and Michele for long distance using a combination of crated and white glove, legs on shipping (depending on what buyer wants to pay) and have never had even one issue. I am super careful about the pack-up so everything is done right, but that's about it. I'm likely overdue for a claim incident.

The only hassle about shipping is being VERY CAREFUL about how the money is sent to me so there are no takebacks or opportunities for fraud. No Zelle, no Paypal, no checks, etc. I generally just have them deposit the money in their local branch of my national bank or do an in-bank wire.

#11178 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Arrived! Wrapping came completely off the shooter dice and sustained a minor scuff. Head decal scuffed at edge. Minor in my opinion, although unfortunate since it was mint prior to shipping. Not enough to pursue a claim.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fortunately you can get a set of head decals from Stern for about $80 and they're dead simple to replace. Email terry at pinball life. He should be able to special order them for you.

#11189 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Tk lock, vibrating dg, projector, metal apron w/ additional lighting. (Missing anything?)

You get the revised apron lighting with the UV kit upgrade everyone should have, so not really a plus unless metal is the selling point.

#11191 2 years ago
Quoted from robinmaypanpan:

Just joined the club! I'm trying to search through this thread for more information on how to dial the machine in. The left and right orbits seem to feed the flippers quite nicely, though the left eject still seems to need work. It always hits the right post next to the drop targets.
Sadly, my machine took a hit during shipping and the wood near the corners on the front is somewhat split. The left corner looks the worst. Inside, it didn’t seem to mess too much up, just a dent on the play field, and my left flipper button needed to be bent back into shape. Based on my photos, the distributor is thinking they’ll try to obtain a new empty cabinet to transfer the game into, but it’s gonna be a while.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Get 3 or 4 of these clamps:
https://www.harborfreight.com/36-in-ratcheting-bar-clampspreader-64152.html

Put the machine on a dolly or sawhorses or something and remove the legs.

Put titebond III glue into the separated part generously, clamp tightly and wipe off excess glue immediately (then wipe again with wet cloth to get of any remaining glue residue while it's still wet). Let dry overnight.

You might also want to install Bally/Williams brackets on the front inside cabinet to provide extra support since you already had a dual split. The B/W plates are taller/thicker than what Stern provides and would be good insurance in this case:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reinforcing-stern-cabinet-legs-step-by-step

#11215 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If you’re interested in a Pro, this is the best gameplay video I’ve seen for it. This is the one that helped me make my decision.

IMO the Pro vs. Pre/LE discussion is academic if you don’t have the game yet - the Pro is the only one left to buy. It was my favorite pin until I brought home TWD.

Premiums still pop up, and if they're dialed in, better than NIB.

1 month later
#11648 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Anyone with a Pro experiment yet with adding a projector?
Figure see if anyone has tried to make this mod work

Not worth the effort, and the result will always be way less-than. Get a Premium.

Kind of surprising Stern is making their last run Pros, though. There's a LOT of demand for Premiums. They should finish with that.

#11650 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

I have not been able to seek a Prem to even play within a few hours drive
Enjoy my pro
Just figure I’d ask about reflective paper and a projector

Yeah, it's not worth the trouble because the result will be poor. Spend the time looking for a Premium instead. You'll be a lot happier. They DO pop up for reasonable money from time to time.

Shame that you're kind of in a location pinball dead-zone, and even the closest STh pins are all Pros. But honestly, buy one used, try it, and if you flip it you likely will be even or down a few hundred at worst, so it's essentially a rental. Pretty sure you'll like it. It's a better experience than the Pro, especially once the TK lock is dialed in.

#11708 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I was playing my STh today when one of the drop down targets wouldn't stay up. The coil kept firing trying to get the target up.
I had to remove the assembly to determine the issue. Turned out that the "drop target rest ledge" had broken off in one spot behind one of the targets, so it had nothing to rest on.
Pretty bad design having this piece made out of cheap plastic. Why can't this be metal? It's just a $4 part on Marco, but $7 for shipping. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just took a piece of scrap plastic, drilled out some holes and made a better replacement than stern's crappy paper-thin one. They cheaped out on this part starting with Game of Thrones. Shipped with a noticeably thinner one starting on that game.

You can also 3d print something that'd take like 5 minutes to design, which wasn't an option for me when GoT came out and this broke in the first month.

#11713 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

The projector to me is something unique in a pin and has its place in pin history, its really awesome I just think the bad rap it gets is cause Stern completely pulled a Stern and had this great concept and then took their foot off the gas and just left it half programmed. I think thats why people complain about the white everywhere, its cause Stern left all the ramp spots blank 70% of gameplay, and they left everything except the drive-in screen blank during attract mode, I mean wth?

It's a Lonnie-programmed machine. This "good enough" approach is par for the course on his machines. Drives me nuts.

#11738 2 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Whats the purpose of a tilt cam?

Give the toddlers that can't see the playfield action something to watch.

#11741 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

No idea why they should be watching that anyway. Hit 'em with a Benadryl dart and sing 'em to sleep. THEN go play some pinball.

A little whiskey in the sippy cup is faster. You also find out pretty quickly if you are raising a mean or a happy drunk.

#11788 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

What are the chances of another code update if Stern actually goes back to the line on these in 2022?
And you programmers, how long would it take them at the very least to input static images of the Pro ramp & target art into the projector for the attract mode and gameplay thats blank 70% of the time?
One easy step further would be to take these same images and just make them fluid with the graphics slightly moving, and do variations on the headers and sides of the ramps. Seems like all the framework is there it would mostly be inputting commands around the existing ones.

Zero unless someone else comes in to polish it. This is completely a Lonnie machine outcome - just good enough, no polish. Lyman polished Lonnie games and made them great before, but no Lyman now, so...

#11801 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

Thats too bad. In just a couple weeks of playing it the code seems really fun, not sure if there's any issues or gaps to address as I'm still new to it.
With all the production delays Stern and other mftrs are dealing with it wouldn't be a bad strategy to polish off some recently 'old' code and keep customer satisfaction boosted in the meantime, and I would definitely vote for some projector polishing(:

Yeah, it's unfortunate when you have a Lonnie game because it will always be less-than unless someone else comes in and polishes his "finished" code. It's especially a shame when you have something like Stranger Things that is cool and has all the elements there, but just needs that little je ne sais quoi and final polish to take it over the top.

2 months later
#12707 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Just installed PinMonk flipper fans. Damn! Huge game changer! I had trouble with my TK lock. Not anymore! If you’re on the fence about these, don’t be. Totally worth it.

Stranger Things is Pin Zero - the one that started it all. If the flippers hadn't gotten so soggy so fast I may never have gotten into temp-testing pin coils and ended up making a cooling solution for them. chuckwurt was really helpful with the initial testing as I iterated my first designs to cool the flipper coils, and now here we are more than a year later with cooling kits available for most of the pins released in the last 5 years and more on the way. It's been a very entertaining, educational journey.

Glad your digging them and looking forward to seeing your massive scores.

#12731 2 years ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

Well, i sold F-14 to another pinsider. He had so much fun playing F-14 the last time they were here that my cousin went home and bought a Hurricane two days later. Unfortunately his 12 year olds don't gaf about it so it may be on the market again soon
looks like the most you can charge for F-14 is fifty cents
[quoted image]

Change out the coin door, put only a bill acceptor in it. Set the game to 50 cents (two quarter pulses) and the bill acceptor to one pulse per dollar. Voila!
$2 games.

#12736 2 years ago

yeah my topper had a bent corner and is pretty clearly a refurbished return- the inside of the glass is all smudged and fingerprinty. what are you going to do

Complain to Stern and ask for a discount since they sent you a used item or instead send an actual new one. Selling refurbs or returns as new is illegal.

1 week later
#12780 2 years ago
Quoted from MLarkin78:

If I get the new stranger things pro build with insider connect already installed, will I be able to use the uv kit?

I don't see why not.

10 months later
#16337 1 year ago

Saw this Stranger Things branded pizza in Wal Mart tonight. Perfect for your Stranger Things-themed pinball party.

(If you try it, tell me how it is, I wasn't brave enough to buy/eat it)

Multi Meat Front
stranger-things-surfer-boy-small (resized).pngstranger-things-surfer-boy-small (resized).png

Jalapeno Pineapple back
surfer_dude_pizza_back_sml.jpgsurfer_dude_pizza_back_sml.jpg

#16340 1 year ago

i wouldn't order from this site with YOUR credit card
i would eat that "pizza" with its HAND TOSSED (style crust) though

Yeah, that cracked me up. It's NOT Hand Tossed crust. It's Hand Tossed STYLE crust, whatever that means.

They had 4 pizza types: Multi meat, Jalepeno pineapple, Pepperoni, and Supreme.

1 week later
#16430 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Are there any games that people would say are similar to Stranger Things in terms of simplicity of the code but a grind to get to the final wizard mode?
I’m really enjoying Stranger Things but thought casual pinball guests wouldn’t as it can be a bit brutal and fast but I had some guests round and they absolutely loved it. Some of the easier games that I know they’d like wouldn’t have enough to keep me interested, I have limited space so that matters too.
Stranger Things just seems to be a lovely balance of easy to explain but still plenty to do, so I’d love to know if there’s anything similar, something with modes too. Thanks!

Elvira HoH's pretty simple to grasp and not super-deep. There's also pretty frequent multiballs. The only question is if the humor hits. I liked the camp, my kids hated it and thought it was dumb.

#16432 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

One of my problems with Elvira is the final wizard mode is such a disappointment, I feel like Gappa Angry is the best mini wizard mode but the fact you can cheese getting to it by draining mbs during ball saves let’s it down imo. Agree that it’s great for guests and quick explanation though.

Yeah, that's a different criteria. For casual guests that you just want to understand the game quickly and get rewarded with cool things in the game who will have no chance of seeing the final wizard mode anyway, Elvira's a great choice.

#16440 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good ole fashioned simple fun. I think that’s exactly what Eddy was going for with this one as a homage to AFM.

But simple fun in a way that Munsters (which was also supposedly supposed to be simple fun) totally failed. Where Stranger Things is fun, Munsters is quickly boring. Given how much I was looking forward to Munsters, it was a real disappointment in that regard.

#16481 1 year ago
Quoted from cfh:

where did you get that backglass? it's not the premium backglass...

Looks like the retro refurbs one. The absence of "Netflix" above the show name is a dead giveaway that it's an alternate translite.

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/stranger-things-season-2-alternate-pinball-translite/

1 week later
#16530 1 year ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Does anyone have an extra one of these ball gate assemblies under and to the left of the demigorgon? Or know where to source one? I can't find one anywhere. It's Stern part no 511-2968-00.
Evidently the operator who had my Stranger Things Pro had issues with it and discarded it. I thought I'd ask before I custom design something. Even if you have a broken or bent out of shape extra, I'd be interested in it.
[quoted image]

I'd drop Terry at pinball life an email and see if he can order it from Stern for you. I know they were giving these away under warranty when it first came out because a ton of them broke and came partway off, blocking the demigorgon exit.

#16534 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

How do I know which node board it goes to?

Node Board 9, connector CN7 goes to the drop target reset and the trip coil.

Do you have a multimeter? If the coil has both wires attached (one didn't come off), you may have blown a transistor.

#16536 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

I have a I have a multimeter, not sure how to use it on a node board. One of the leads on the drop target coil broke loose but was still attached bu the thin wire . I replaced the coil with a new one thinking that was the issue, no change. The other thing attached to node 9 at c7 is the left ramp uppost, that is still working as it should.

Well, node 9 and node 8 are the same board, so as long as you know the coil is good now (since it's new) you could swap the node boards to see if that fixes your problem with that target bank (the problem will move to Left down post or maybe left eject if the transistor is blown). Basically you just swap the boards and adjust the dip switches to change the board ID so node 9 becomes node 8 and node 8 becomes node 9, then physically move them and reconnect. Here's the chart to show you the dip switch settings:

spike node addresses (resized).jpgspike node addresses (resized).jpg
#16539 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

is it odd that if a transistor is blown that the left post up still works on the same connector?

No. It's not a fuse that protects a number of things. Just has one job. There's one transistor per drive circuit. That post has its own transistor. A transistor is like an on/off gate for power that allows individual control of features usually driven by a coil. Generally each coil has to have its own (with some exceptions for home pins and Bond Prem/LE pop bumpers).

#16549 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I had all my games on whilst I was playing last night and watching STh in attract mode got me thinking - what are other Prem / LE owners doing about future proofing their projectors? I have no idea what the life of the projector or bulb is likely to be, but I doubt we'll be able to obtain the exact same model years down the line. Has anyone bought a spare as a back up? I'm also wondering about spare decals with the correct material for the projected images - are Stern still selling these?

Heat is the killer for the projector, as is often the case. A mini 20x20 fan might take the temp down just enough to lengthen the life. As far as I know Stern is out of them, and the Chinese manufacturer as moved on to newer versions that are not compatible.

Various pinsiders are working on solutions.

#16550 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Thanks for this, just ordered a NOS from Midwest Gaming. Does anyone know if Stern are still selling the decals for the projected images?

You can get better projection material and cut your own to get better contrast so it looks less washed out.

#16552 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Thanks for this, just ordered a NOS from Midwest Gaming. Does anyone know if Stern are still selling the decals for the projected images?

Check the Topic Index at the top of any page in this thread and look in the section that says "MOD." There's some good info with links there about the better material you can get to improve the projection.

#16566 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The manufacturer advertises 20,000hr bulb life. If I play STh 4hrs a week, that's 96yrs.
On route would be a different story, however the 2 LE I know on route are still working.

Heat is apparently what's a contributing factor to the ones dying, which is independent from the life of the bulb. So having a backup unit or implementing some kind of active cooling to reduce temps in the casing seems important.

#16575 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Cooler is always better. The projector does have a little fan inside that you can easily hear running if you open the coin door with the interlock pressed.
Just thinking .. how would I know if the fan stopped or was clogged? The focus changes over the first 2min as the projector and lenses warm. If the fan needed attention and the projector was running hot, I might notice some focus change and soft image so that is one thing for owners to watch for and be aware of!

Watching the focus is a good tip for having a clue that your projector may be getting too hot or the fan has failed. Sounds like the fan it has may not be up to the job of keeping it cool enough. It's good that Stern seems to have received some more, but bad that may not last long, leaving Prem/LE owners SOL in the future unless they get heavy into preventative care.

#16577 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Replaced node board and still nothing. Drops do not reset but do register if you reset them by hand. Anyth8ng else to try?

I'd go back to the original targets first and make sure you didn't mess something up when you swapped them out for the clear ones.

#16579 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Will do but odd that the coil doesn’t ever try to fire

Worth resetting everything to stock before trying to figure out what happened when you made the change. One less variable.

#16581 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

I put everything back as it was. Original drops back in there only thing I can do is put the original coil on the drops. Still nothing. Recogenizes drops if you manually raise them and knock them down but nothing mechanical will reset the drops

The reset doesn't work in test, either? (with the white post inside left on the coin door pulled out)

#16584 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

No nothing in test mode with the post pulled out.

So if you put in a completely different node board and it didn't help it has to be a dead coil or loose/broken wire to that coil. Do you have a multimeter to test the coil resistance?

#16586 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Anyway for me to test the coil and make sure it is good.

You need a multimeter. Do you have one?

#16588 1 year ago

Power off. Set the dial to ohms (might be the ohm symbol) and hold one lead on each side of the coil and see what it says.

#16591 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

with a probe on each lug I get 9.3 ohms

I get 9.9 ohms on the one I have here if I disconnect it (there's a plug on it on GotG that makes it convenient).

Quoted from rx2006je:

On the small coil the one that knocks them down it registers 53.5

Small coil is about correct.

Turn your multimeter to continuity and with the power still off, check from Node 9, connector CN7, pin 2 to the hot side of that coil and see if there's continuity.

#16593 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

yes I get continuity down to the node plug from the coil

What about on the ground side?

#16595 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

If I use the probe on the gray and brown wire from the lug to the gray wire on the c7 plug on node 9 I get nothing but if I touch it to where the hot wire goes on the c7 plug I get continuity same for both coils.

Ground doesn't go back to CN7. You're probably getting a reading the other way because it's going through the machine.

This really points to either the coil or the transistor that drives it being bad, but you checked the coil resistance and it seems ok, and you put in a new node board, so it seems unlikely it has that exact transistor bad right off the bat. Not sure what else to check, except to double check the transistors in a row on the node 9 board with the multimeter and see if one of them tests bad.

#16597 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Will try checking the transistors tomorrow and see what readings I get. Any specific numbers I should see? Outside of that I guess I will have to hope stern helps out or my distributor can help repair it?

Well, I don't expect you to find a dead short or it would have blown up the coil, but I'm not sure what transistors/leg arrangement are on the node boards (haven't had to fix one, knock on wood). Ask Stern, or maybe someone that knows can chime in.

#16624 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I already have your flipper fans installed on the game, which have made an huge difference, and a NOS projector on the way. Any chance you’d consider working on an add on cooling solution for the projector?

If I still had a Stranger Things I'd be looking at it for sure, but it's something that I'd need to be hands on with to get it right.

#16634 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words:
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]I bought the original S6000 OEM version over a year ago in hopes of using it as backup in my STh premium. Of course there are internal differences as both were designed to do different things. The original OEM version has a battery, Wi-Fi, and IR for the wireless remote control. The Stern S6000 has no battery, likely unique firmware, and no need for wi-fi or IR.
Bottom Line - BOTH are model S6000 projectors made different for different applications.

But what do the CIRCUIT boards say? Are they different model numbers?

#16643 1 year ago
Quoted from twinturb089:

When someone figures out that, the price of le and premium will drop

LE will always be the LE, so no effect.

The only conceivable one that could be affected is the Prem, but if this mod costs $1500-2000 to implement and is still janky because you're running Prem code on a Pro, then I don't see much of an impact.

#16646 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

I never took apart the Stern S6000. The original OEM S6000 was advertised by the manufacture as the model S6000.

Doesn't mean anything. The revision screened on the board tells the story.

#16648 1 year ago
Quoted from TeeJayN:

Well, you have to start somewhere. I suppose the Stern S6000 could really be a Model M991234 circuit rev 1.191b - but so what? It says in the Stern STh manual that it's an S6000 and no one seems to dispute that. Geez.

Absolutely. Start somewhere. But don't stop at the casing and marketing. Find out if the two are the same product or not by looking at the boards.

1 week later
#16699 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Update: Stern sent a new coil and springs got them installed and no change. They asked about continuity from the negative side of the the drop target coil to the negative side of the left ramp up post coil and there is nothing there. Seems like there maybe a wire issue there? The left ramp up post works as it should and is on the same c7 plug and continuity from it to the c7 plug on the #9 node board is good.

I forgot, do you have a multimeter? Testing continuity on the drive wire for that coil would be easy with a multimeter.

#16702 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

I do have a multimeter, can you tell me what to and where to check, and what setting on my meter?

Looking back on the thread, forgot I already had you check this:

"Turn your multimeter to continuity and with the power still off, check from Node 9, connector CN7, pin 2 to the hot side of that coil and see if there's continuity."

And you said there was continuity on the drive side.

So basically do the same thing for the ground side (one probe on each end of the ground wire on the coil in continuity check mode on the multimeter) to see if the ground wire is broken.

#16705 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

nothing on the ground side (grey/brown wire) from the drop target coils to the c7 plug the hot side (yellow/blue stripe wires) are good all the way to the c7 plug, the left lane up post coil does have continuity on both the hot (yellow/green stripe wire) and ground plug (grey/brown).

So it sounds like you have a broken ground wire then, probably inside the insulation so it's not visually obvious. I'd manually work all the way down that wire, tracing it from the C7 connector to the coil, looking for zip ties that are too tight or crimps. If you can find some obvious place it might have been broken inside the insulation from a too-tight zip tie or other crimp, you can cut and splice it to repair the break, then solder and shrink tube it to finish the repair.

Failing that, it's dead simple to make another ground wire run if you have the connector to put on the C7 end and a soldering iron to replace the one on the coil end.

#16707 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Looks like I may need it from the loom side of the plug on the drop target coil to the c7 connector. I will start to undo the zip ties to try and find a break.

It may not be obvious. The break can happen inside the insulation from crimps and zip ties so the wire looks ok outside, but the wire inside the insulation (aka the important part) is broken.

#16731 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Thanks kindly, but these are black, cheers... The ones on my premium are either white or translucent... (Thanks though!)

I think those on yours are aftermarket. Stock is black targets, I believe. All the press photos show black targets.

Ministry of Pinball was selling the translucent ones, but they're OOS:

https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/pinballmachines/milky-clear-stern-drop-target-545-6305-00.html

Pinball Haus has straight up white ones:
https://pinballhaus.com/shop/parts/playfield-parts/stern-drop-target-545-6305-00-01

Domestically, Planetary pinball has some:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-545-6305-TW

#16762 1 year ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Has anyone had luck disabling the ramp? I need a new board that is unfortunately out of stock to get mine working again. But in the meantime I thought I’d be able to disable the ramp or the targets and have the game ignore that feature.
It doesn’t seem to work that way though. If I disable the ramp, the game still expects you to shoot the demo, so you get stuck. And if you keep the ramp down you can’t make progress either.
Any suggestions or better yet does anyone have a 520-8418-00 dual driver board they can sell me?

If it's only a resistor or transistor that's out and not that surface mount chip, Borygard may be able to fix your board. Drop him a DM and see if he can. It's a pretty simple board, and he can fix node boards, so this may be in his wheelhouse and possibly faster than waiting on Stern.

#16800 1 year ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

was a broken ground wire. I jumpered it from the up post ball lock to the drop target coil and it works properly now. What is the best way to permanently fix the wire?

If it's obvious where it's broken inside the insulation from a hard crimp or damage, you can cut/splice/solder/shrink tube it. Otherwise new wire run.

#16822 1 year ago
Quoted from Borntolose:

My uppost that feeds into my left orbit has been having a few issues. Found some shavings from the coil directly under in the cabinet!! Under the coil seems lose like when a coil stop goes on a flipper, just not sure how to replace this one!! Wondering if anyone has had this issue before on here?! [quoted image]

If the stop on that type is bad, you have to replace that whole bracket.

Remove the lowest two screws on the bracket (closest to the stop) which will let you lift the coil up and tug on the stop itself. If it's loose, you need to replace the bracket. If it's mushroomed, that could also cause issues.

I went to look for the part number in the manual, but all the illustrated ones I saw are the adjustable stop kind, not the ones with the pressed on stop, so I don't have a part number for you to look for. I *believe* this is the part you want if that stop is loose and the bracket needs replacement:
https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-lock-mounting-bracket-assembly.html

#16824 1 year ago
Quoted from spidey:

Has this happen to me and I didn’t have to take anything apart. Just reached under the plastic with my finger and pulled the one way gate out, which is still attached on the lower side and then put the other side back in the hole. Takes about 30 seconds.

The later production gates have a longer lead on the unbent side, maybe that's what you had?. I had to get in there and bend my first run gate stub down a bit to prevent it from coming out from just ball motion over time.

#16828 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

V1.06.0 is crashing after about 5 plays, anyone know the issue?

Do you have Insider Connected hardware? There was a known problem where if you didn't have IC on STh 1.06 could freeze/reboot.

#16830 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

I'm not sure, reading up on it now. This is my first pin!

Insider connected is the lit rectangle in the right side of the apron. If you don't have something that looks like this:

001-stern-insider-connected (resized).jpg001-stern-insider-connected (resized).jpg

...you don't have IC and it's probably why it's doing that.

They fixed it in 1.07.

If you want to compete online and get achievements for STh, you can buy an IC kit to add it to a machine that doesn't have it for about $200.

Pro Kit:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-insider-connected-upgrade-kit-pro.html

Prem/LE Kit:
https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-insider-connected-retrofit-upgrade-kit-for-premiumle-machines.html

#16832 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

Ahh yes I don't have it. I guess it's time to update lol. Reading up on how to do that now - thank you.

You can update with a USB stick, or re-image the SD card. SD card is a little faster, but there's more steps. Just make sure you download the CORRECT version of the code. For example, if you put Prem code on a Pro, it will do really weird things.

#16834 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

I used this guide:
(I would have just followed the text readme if I could figure out where the key was that unlocked the screen, thankfully he said in the video and I found it lol)
I found the code here: https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/
I have a premium but when downloading the premium code it is actually the LE code... I don't know, updated anyway.. Hopefully that's ok?

Yes, Prem/LE is the same code. Pro is different. So you're good.

#16836 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

Awesome. I'm having a blast. My wife actually hijacked the machine from me to play solo she was having so much fun. I'm still pretty bad, best score so far is 74mil. I'll get there soon. I can't wait to start putting in some mods.

Hopefully you have the Stern UV kit installed for the upside down modes. If you don't, that should be mod #1 on your list, IF you can find one.

#16838 1 year ago
Quoted from nzwiefka:

Mine came with the pinstadium mod and IMO it sucks compared to the official stern mod. I will definitely be looking for the stern pro uv.

Yeah, Pinstadiums kill the mood on STh, IMO. IF you can find the Stern Pro UV kit, that's the best plan.

Also, have a look at the Medisinyl Mods kit for Stranger Things. Really a top shelf multi-part mod to make the playfield world come to life:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medisinyl-mods-stranger-things-no-list-until-fully-revealed

#16877 1 year ago
Quoted from smollig:

Just noticed a chip in my clear coat by the saucer. What can I do to prevent further damage? Would some mylar to cover it do the trick or should I do more?

Clear plain (not gel) nail polish to arrest the chip and stop it from spreading. THEN mylar to protect the area.

1 week later
#16911 1 year ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

my mystery gate snapped and I'm having trouble finding a replacement. sent a msg to distro but does anyone have a quicker solution.

This Simpsons one looks taller, but if you bent it a little differently, it might work:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9043-56

1 week later
#16992 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Does anyone know how f there is a setting to change how often mystery award gives bullsh1t mode? I’ve played 60 games and haven’t seen it yet

I don't remember (been a while since I had STh), but is there a family setting in the system menu? If that's on, it could be blocking it. On Iron Maiden, for example, it turns off the extra ball animation of eddie ripping the extra ball out of his chest if you have the content limiter on.

#17001 1 year ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

All of a sudden Pinball Life has full sets and hi wear replacement sets of Stranger Things decals in stock!!!

There is better material for the center screen and projection areas so the images aren't washed out like they are with the stock projection screen material. This post talks about it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/42#post-5489073

#17006 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Is there any reason that nobody has created a “stick and play” solution for the improved projector screen canvas?
I have no interest in cutting up a bunch of this black diamond canvas and trying to stick and fit it to my game
The end result on that video is really good so I’m sure some modder could make a bit of money here

The brand name material is pretty expensive, relatively speaking, so I think precut panels with actual 3M adhesive could get spendy to the point that potential buyers might balk. Also the potential Prem/LE market isn't that big to take that risk, BUT if Stern does re-run it as Gomes hinted, I could see it happening...

6 months later
#17694 9 months ago
Quoted from Nintegageo:

Not sure if this has been discussed but around the 33:55 mark Brian Eddie seems to acknowledge another production run.
https://www.youtube.com/live/mO5F1TjAX6Y?feature=share

Eddy: They're really hard to get...RIGHT NOW.

Then smiling, giddy, smoothing his hair. Yeah, it's coming. Done deal.

#17695 9 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

You can barely hear what he says with the bad quality of the feed. I wouldn't read too much into it. The interviewer claims he says 'this year'. The only spot they have left on the build schedule is November. So they're going to vault it in 3-4 months and NOTHING has leaked? I don't buy it.

They were building Venoms in June and nothing leaked to the greater community.

#17697 9 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

The Stern build schedule thread had Venom pencilled in for months. I don't think it was a surprise to anyone.

I was talking about pictures, details, etc. It was on the line over a month ago and nothing leaked except some potato cam pics with limited circulation.

Quoted from AMartin56:

And has Stern ever drastically fixed anything as part of a vault? Fixing the Telekinesis lock just seems too good to be true.

Gomez said that was his desire. Re-engineer the lock if it's re-run. Straight from his mouth, on video.

#17703 9 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

But talk is cheap. I don't understand why you would spend effort on reengineering the ball lock when you sell everything you make and can just move on to the next game like a shark that needs to swim forward or die.

I dunno. Maybe their tech support was swamped with home users trying to get a working TK lock and he wants to avoid that when they re-run it? Time is money, and Stern is money-focused. Spend a little time on the mech, save a lot with Stern tech.

#17708 9 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They don’t have the license and they aren’t sure if they will get it in the future. That’s been confirmed already from stern. Anything possible though, and that’s what Brian was referring to imo.

Didn't. Didn't have the license as of months ago. They were clearly desirous of renewing it and months have passed, so anything's possible.

Plus there are a lot of STh toppers sitting out there and a nice, new STh pin would clear those out.

#17730 9 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I think the game on current code will still crash if a ball gets caught behind the pops after finishing a mode where the balls drain and the player gets to keep shooting...so tonight I beat the S1 mini-wizard mode and noticed a ball sitting back there. I was able to lift the cabinet up enough to get the ball to drain back around under the demo and come back out - this didn't trip any warnings so either I did it slowly enough and the bob didn't hit in that movement or the game isn't looking for tilt bob contact at that time - and the game was frozen until the second the ball hit the trough, it spit another out the trough. So that's a game-saving option potentially. I guess I am back on 1.05 or 1.06 so I can keep Cleland code on but I don't think they fixed that since.

Did you report this bug to Stern's bug email so it can be fixed in time for the re-release? It's a game-killing bug, so I'm sure they'd want it fixed.

#17732 9 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

To keep dust off I guess. For me I like being able to see the playfield even when walking by, so I just clean the glass once in awhile.

Have a cover made with a print of the playfield. Solves the dust issue, and you can still see the playfield when you walk by.

#17747 8 months ago
Quoted from byurick:

Or stock up on other parts you might need like I do and put in one big order instead of just a single item so you can justify the shipping prices.

Like...coil stops. On Sterns, that's good insurance.

#17748 8 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Why not re-use the one that fell off (provided you can find it)?

3M 467MP is perfect for this.

#17763 8 months ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

Is STh being remade?
Seems there are mixed opinions but seems more likely than not.

Clues are stacking up:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/790#post-7694506

2 months later
#17980 6 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Shouldn’t the upside down be a surprise? Makes sense for the theme. Also upside down 2 is super fun with the ramps and orbits lit and each successive shot is multiplied up to 4x. Hitting all 4 shots in a combo is super fun.
I would like the mystery rules reworked so it’s easier to get other mystery awards and see a video mode added. Other than that, I don’t have any complaints about the ruleset.

Would be a nice surprise to have the updated code on the vault finally include the video mode they teased on the mystery screen for almost a year that was pulled at the end of development when they zipped the project up and walked away. That was a real kick in the nuts at the time, especially with the possibilities for a cool one.

#17982 6 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

What's the bet we get none of the things we want and this whole thing is a Stern money grab?

Given the secondary market prices, a vault release will be a win if it's just a normal Prem/Pro release with nothing added just because it will normalize prices.

#18023 6 months ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

I am curious how the TK Lock is going to look...are they going to build with the "so called plastic" fix (which did not really fix the issue).

Gomez said "There are a series of improvements in the game."

On the Prem, TK lock tweaks are the most likely, but also maybe projector and projector screen material?

On Pros, maybe the plastic up post so it doesn't come disconnected from the ball hits and up kicks. A roll pin would fix it.

On the code side, hoping they put back the video mode they unceremoniously cut at the end of software development before.

#18027 6 months ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Stern already has an updated post, they replaced mine for free after the warranty period.

Ah, great. My pro was gone before they did that, apparently.

#18047 6 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Agree x2. I cant imagine many are not going to spring for the UV kit. Just factory install and tack on the extra 300!

I think most location pros will not get the UV kit, so when those trickle into the used market in a few years, it's likely going to be very hard to find UV kits for them.

#18145 6 months ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Put in an order for the premium. Do we want the the regular uv kit or the pinstadium?

Zero question. Stern UV kit, all the way.

#18182 6 months ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

The demogorgan moves on the premium? Not listed in the description anywhere.

It kind of bounces like Herman Munster on The Munsters. Just getting prodded with a post to move it a bit.

You can see it do its relatively subtle shaking dance here:

Pro is missing this technological marvel of a feature.

#18193 6 months ago
Quoted from roscoepinball:

Can anyone that owns the Stern topper tell me the part number of the node board inside it? Thank you!

Appears to just be the same node board as expression lights, with the dip switches set differently.

#18196 6 months ago
Quoted from Mackpinzie:

Any owners have some suggestions for what to add to the machine after unboxing it? Plastic protectors? Playfield protectors? New balls?

Stern UV Kit and Shaker Motor, for sure.

Then, depending on how the new projector performs (it might be better than the original so not necessary), you may want to investigate replacing the screen material to get better projection images. There's a thread on it.

#18221 6 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We won’t know until we see/play it. Im excited to see the improvements.

Are you back in on this run after selling your original?

#18228 6 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Gotta play it first. If the TK lock and feeds are flawless, it will be intriguing for sure.

I don't think Stern does flawless, but "better than OG STh" is likely.

#18267 6 months ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Question in anticipation of getting my premium next month. I ordered the UV kit, topper, and cooling fans PinMonk. I see that the topper plugs into a power source in the head, where does the UV kit get power? I'm also planning on hooking up a shaker. Am I going to need some sort of power splitter??? If I am going to, do you nice people have any sort of recommendation on which one to use?

UV kit has its own board and I think pulls power from the PDB. I don't remember plugging it in anywhere else when I installed it on the Pro, but admittedly, it's been a long time.

Install video HurryUp Pinball did is here. Power connections are around the 11 minute mark:

#18282 6 months ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Should note if this is for a Pro or Prem/LE.
Also, I started designing the set in Feb. 2022, so 2.5 years ago can't be right.
Can post the link in my thread as well.

Time moves slower in VA. Probably SEEMED like 2.5 years.

#18285 6 months ago
Quoted from StuckOnPins:

I hope someone can help! I would like to know a safe way to pull voltage from the game as a trigger. For example. When the UV kit is turned on in the game, I want to trigger a relay that will turn the Blacklights in my room on at the same time. I would also like to pull off some flashers to trigger room strobes. Stern told me, I would cause the node board to freak out and this can not be done easy. Does anyone have a suggestions? Thank you!

You could use a light trigger over one of the top uv leds, so it's out of the way, but when that comes on it will trigger whatever you want.

Something like this (this is not an endorsement of this item, just using it as an example):
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Photoresistor-Sensor-Automatic-Control/dp/B073XL5161

#18306 6 months ago
Quoted from Flipper_Ripper:

This will be my first Stern purchase. Anything I need to know? I heard coil stops, is that still a thing? If so, how many should I purchuse to have on hand. Anything else I need to have or know?

Stranger Things has two flippers, so two is what would be good to have on hand, especially if you only have one Stern pin. But I wouldn't change the stock ones out right away, you might get lucky and have them do ok. It does happen. There's a high failure rate with Stern coil stops in the first few months, but it's nowhere close to 100%.

#18320 6 months ago
Quoted from beltking:

I ordered the new version projector from my distributor as a backup for new prem run and came in today so parts must be in now. Think they are normally $600. Got a 55” Samsung Tv today for $380 but a tiny projector is $600 figure that out.

Smaller is sometimes more expensive to do.

I mean, not $600 expensive, but in this case likely about $200-300 from the OEM in quantity. The rest is markup.

1 week later
#18415 5 months ago
Quoted from davegauth:

Drop target issues.
The drop targets keep reseting and popping back up. I cant see a pattern in how or whybit is doing this. When a target is hit(or all of them) and they should be down, they just pop back up. Sonetimes when all 4 are hit, then they all pop back up and then back down and cycle like this.
Any thoughts?
Note: I haven't checke dunde the hood yet, I only verified the problemwas occuring. Tomorrow I'll have my tools and time to look around. But any guidance or pointer for me to chase after tomorrow would be appreciated.

It's likely a broken target or a broken opto.

Glass off.
Balls out.
Power on. Let it boot.
Open coin door.
Pull the white post on the inside left of the coin door frame.
Go into switch test mode.
Lift playfield.
Manually reset all targets to the up position.
Inspect the "fins" on the bottom of each target to make sure they are all complete and none are broken/chipped. If they are broken, replace that target. If they are fine, proceed...
There's a board with the opto pairs that read when the targets are down. Take a piece of paper and slide it between the two halves of each opto and make sure that you get the switch registration noise/notice on the screen for each one. If one of them isn't registering, power off and take a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and clean the opto pairs gently. Power on again, re-test.

#18418 5 months ago
Quoted from davegauth:

The fins look Ok - no issues. The coils are functioning in the coil test, and nothing appear to be wrong with the electrical connecions to the coils.
I did some testing to see if it was a specific target - But it appears that any 1 of the 4 targets can go down and everything is fine. Doesn't matter if it is 1,2,3 or 4 - if its only 1 target its fine. But the minute a second target goes down it starts its issues of droppimg all the targets and and then resetting them in the up position. Note: it doesnt matter the combo of targets, any two targets and it starts. It does appear that each individual target is registering correctly when it goes down from being hit(the appropriate Will Run! letters light up on initial hit.

Take the opto board off and examine the optos AND the connector at the end of the board. If an opto is loose or flaky, it may be making intermittent connection causing the reset. Also, the board connector may have had a cold solder joint and it intermittent, and that power inconsistency could be causing the reset.

#18422 5 months ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

All quiet here on my Premium from Cointaker...

Yeah, I'm not looking for Premiums until after BF, maybe early Dec.

#18432 5 months ago
Quoted from nicholasdeorio:

You’re not wrong haha. I created an account just to post here. It got bad for me when I saw them being built in the video Stern posted. I’ve been refreshing my email waiting to be contacted by my distributor and checking this thread all week.
I am super excited because this machine (Pro Model) is going to be my first Pin. I only have room for one… so I imagine this will be my intro to a very expensive hobby.

Welcome to the addiction. You will eventually learn your ideal collection is your current collection plus one. The axiom scales, so it doesn't matter how many pins you own. The IDEAL collection is always one pin away.

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

#18447 5 months ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

I've never installed a shaker in anything I own. Any one I have has been factory.
Judging from the last couple of comments here I might consider one for STh
Where do you connect a shaker in this machine to interact with the play? Any particular brand to consider?

I've used pinball life shakers in all the machines i've upgraded:

https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

I've had some others (Stern stock on the LEs, and one machine I bought used came with a Cointaker Red Tremor shaker, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND - it was awful)

#18451 5 months ago
Quoted from Tof37:

Hello everyone,
I'm new around here and I'm seeking your help regarding some adjustments on Stranger Things PRO 1.08. First of all, I would like to learn more about the techniques for making shots into the demo's mouth. I've heard about the option of removing spacers, but I can't visualize it on the diagram. Is there a simpler method?

It's the proven method. Go to the topic index at the top of any page in this thread, click that, then click KEYPOST SUMMARY to sort the list. The post you want with pictures on how to adjust it with washers is under TECH:TOYS.

#18456 5 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

So are they shipping the pro's yet??

I'm thinking like next Thursday at the earliest for Pros shipping. I don't expect to see my Premium until the first week in Dec.

#18459 5 months ago
Quoted from davegauth:

Drop Target Problems, round #2
I followed a bunch of good feedback for troubleshooting but havent resolved the issue.
I removed the board, i spected and cleaned the sensor areas. Reinstalled and still have the drop targets cycling up and down.
The only difference is the targets are now only cucling when all 4 targets are down.(before it required any 2 targets to be down befor it cycles) All the comnections look fine, the flags on the drop targets all look fine, no issues no cracks or any signs of issues whatsoever.
I'm back to a head scratching stand still. Time for a new drop target board? Maybe a nee SD card and software load?
Any additional help would be appreciated..

Are any of the springs that give the targets their tension broken or weak?

Also, I second the question about whether these are stock drops or the aftermarket ones...

Can you post a video of the behavior recorded with your phone? You can upload to youtube and then post the link here and pinside will auto-insert the video into the thread.

#18461 5 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

Take 2 on the LE/Prem apron overlay. Left it white rear layer so you could even backlight or edge light it if you wanted. Petg laser cut. Happy Friday!
Someone asked if I could do magnetic...answer no...not keen on any induced magnets especially down low.[quoted image][quoted image]

IC reader mandatory on the coin door with this setup?

#18463 5 months ago
Quoted from KJS:

why? the triangles are cutout

Ah, right. For some reason I was thinking that would be moved down for the re-run, but Venom still had it in the triangle area even though it wasn't a triangle on the right.

#18465 5 months ago
Quoted from davegauth:

They are stock and black in color. They are not clear.
There does not appear to be anything wrong with the springs, The mechanisms look intact and to be functioning properly when mannually dropping targets as well as using the coil test to drop and reset targets.
Behavior: When the last target is dropped, and now all should be down - the rargets pop back up, and immediately drop again. The action reminds me of what the ball search does at the drop targets, however its just the drop targets popping up and immediately down again. This cycle of popping up and down happens every .5-1.0 second. This continues until the demogorgan is activated i which case they pop back up as would be expected in game play.
The only feedback or clue I have thus far is - before taking the board out and cleaning it this cycling would happen once 2 targets were dropped. After removing the board, cleaning it, I was able to test it by passing a screwdriver blade between the sensors - this wirked and each letter or fake drop was registering properly and the board seemed to no longer have the cycling problem. I installed the board fripped the playfield and tested again by hand. At first it looked to be workibg and I thought it was resolved. But after a few more test rounds of mannually droping the targets with finger taps it started cycling again. The only difference is it is now only happening after all 4 targets were down. I did turn it off and back on a couple times but the results were the same. I also did a factory install/reset via the utilities menu This didn't help either. Strange and inconclusive....... I'm at a standstill again.

Maybe spread the leads on the connector to the opto board on the targets? If they're getting loose inside the wire connector, they can lose connection intermittently and cause weird behavior. If you spread the metal pins just a smidge, it will let them grab inside the connector pins better. We're really far down the list of potential causes now, though...

#18483 5 months ago
Quoted from PinEvs:

Not sure if there is any news on the possibility for any code updates. I would be ecstatic if mystery awards were addressed. Gameplay would be better with a little more Bulls@!t mode. Otherwise mystery shots are mostly lame and predictable.

That and put back in the video mode they had on the mystery award list all during development and pulled at the end.

#18487 5 months ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

My telekinesis magnet isn’t letting go of the pinballs. Makes a faint knock noise. Can anyone please help

Have you checked the assembly behind the backboard? Sounds like the magnet assembly may be loose.

#18493 5 months ago
Quoted from Powerhouse47:

Can’t really tell. Any thing you can point to look for?

One possibility is the magnet core may have broken loose from the base and is sliding inside the coil.

Also, the first thing you should have checked (and I should have recommended) is make sure the balls aren't magnetized. Take a steel paperclip to each one out of the game. If it's sticking, you need new balls. Certain balls are not suitable to heavy magnet use games (chrome balls, etc) because they easily magnetize. Check for the balls being magnetized. Thinking about it, that seems like the most-likely reason.

#18502 5 months ago
Quoted from Deadpool66:

Just received my invoice shipping Wednesday. Hoping to have in time for my bday on Saturday.

Pro, correct?

#18542 5 months ago
Quoted from byurick:

Sorry your response confuses me, all the Premium kits I see online do not come with an apron.

#18548 5 months ago
Quoted from byurick:

I was talking about the IC Prem kit not coming with a new apron, not the UV kit.

I think there's just a bunch of IC/UV upgrade crosstalk that somehow muddled what was being said. The IC kits never had an apron, so I didn't even consider that's what was meant.

#18551 5 months ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Lame! I'll let Stern know. Easier just to flash a new SD card at this point. They are on it!!
[quoted image]

It was fixed about a half hour ago. Prem/LE links are correct now.

#18564 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You can put whatever code you want on it.

To a point. Whenever Stern made the node board changeover (don't remember when that was), it was a one way street, so you can't go back before that point (at least not easily).

#18565 5 months ago
Quoted from Lpilot1:

Is anyone else getting matches after every game and challenge mode? This is happening to me. Match is set at default of 9%.

Step away from the computer and run, don't walk to buy some lottery tickets.

#18628 5 months ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Played BS mode for the first time today... Is it only reachable through the mystery award?

Yep. Total BS.

#18654 5 months ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Just played a brand new Pro…. Is it just me or did they make the demogorgan mouth larger? What do you think? (They also added a tab on the right hand side of the panel)

Hard to be 100% due to the angle and possible distortion because of the glass, but does seem like it's more oval now. The original was more round (this was glass-off on a first run Pro):

demogorgon_pro_orig (resized).jpgdemogorgon_pro_orig (resized).jpg
#18659 5 months ago
Quoted from Brian541:

Is the uv light kit worth adding?Never had the chance to play one with it.Also,What are the best rings to run with it?Superbands,Translucent,etc.I have a stock pro currently.

Absolutely worth it.

#18692 5 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

How easy are those to install. Also PinMonk . Sounding like I need to add those along with the UV kit.

Very easy.

The standard Tibetan Breeze mount to the side of the flipper bracket where one of the flipper bracket legs is secured to the playfield. You only need a screwdriver and the ability to plug everything provided in and zip tie the power leads with the provided ties.

The stainless steel ZEN kits mount to the actual flipper bracket itself where the EOS switch is. It requires a slim ratchet to tighten the screws. I now include that tool as I didn't realize how many people don't have a 1/4" slim ratchet in their toolbox.

It's a 30 minute or less job, maybe a bit more if you go very slowly with the instructions.

#18695 5 months ago
Quoted from Haus7878:

Topper is kinda lame.

Meh. Anyone who grew up in the late 70s and early 80s when infinity mirrors were the rage on jukeboxes, etc will think it's right at home on a Stranger Things. I agree it doesn't DO anything, but it's a cool completion accessory for the timeframe of the game. Do I have one? No, because I won't be keeping STh once I'm done with the temp testing and modding for the projector. But IF I kept a STh prem, I would totally have that topper.

#18697 5 months ago

Fan under the apron?

Something like that, but I have to see how the heat is being generated and where it's being trapped. Blowing in runs the risk of getting dust on the lens, depending on how it's set up inside. But heat is what's killing these prematurely and I think I can address that. I just need to take some internal temps, then get the projector apart and figure out how it's set up inside.

#18701 5 months ago

I remember it having a fan I think

Probably not enough throughput and/or improper venting. We'll see what the unmodified temps are when I get it. I expect they'll be high, but we're all about to find out.

#18703 5 months ago
Quoted from Medic:

Do you think the new runs of the premium will have the better projector screen or I need to upgrade that?

I would be *shocked* if Stern went to the trouble to put better screen material on the Prems. I've already ordered some for mine.

#18707 5 months ago
Quoted from Haus7878:

Just ordered a set of these for my Premium ST. I have the original ones on my Godzilla Premium and they are a game changer. I need to order a set for my JP. Maybe after the new year though lol. Cant wait to see the difference between the two models. I like the idea of it mounting to the actual flipper mount now.

Because they mount on the EOS part of the flipper plate and aren't mounting on the outside edge of the flipper plate like the standard ones, the ZENs are much less intrusive of the space around the flipper plate, so it can work on pretty much all Sterns from SAM through Spike2, even ones where there is GI or controlled lights very close to the flipper plate. They also cover more of the coil from top to bottom, and on a complete install, they're about 6dB total quieter, essentially silent once the machine is closed up. SAM/Whitestar versions are finally almost done, too.

Thanks for the support!

#18720 5 months ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

This is a fabricated crisis…. These projectors are not dying.

They ARE dying, but I would not say at anywhere close to crisis levels. It's relatively uncommon from what I've seen. The problem is the original projectors went NLA, and if yours died during that period you were screwed. LED life is absolutely shortened by excessive heat. I don't know if that is the issue, but I suspect it is. I'll have a look when I get mine, gather temp data from inside the case, and if a solution is possible, it will be available for those that want it.

#18728 5 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Distributors only tell customers what stern tells them. Stern 100% said they were delayed a bit and expect premiums to be on the line in early December. That could also then turn into mid/late December or January.

Once it hits Mid-Dec, the factory closes down for inventory and it becomes January. I'm fine whenever it comes. It's not like it's a brand new, never before seen pin.

#18735 5 months ago
Quoted from DeejayDara:

Just got my pro and, as anticipated, I have some issues out of the box. The main one being my center ramp only raises halfway. The mech continues to whirr for a few more seconds but no more movement. I did a search and couldn’t find this specific issue mentioned. Anybody had this issue and got a fix?

The ramp position is controlled by switches under the playfield that tell the machine when the ramp is opened or closed so it can stop moving it. Try the ramp test on the system menu and see if it thinks it's closed when it's only halfway. If that's the case, see if you can adjust the switches so it actually closes before triggering the switch.

Alternately, see if it's binding on something (like the hinges on each side on top of the PF). Or, do the ramp test while watching the mechanism under the playfield.

#18768 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

Dealer talked me out of a premium. Was told it just looks bad in the game room when off and the TK lock gave them trouble. Stranger Things Pro was top 3 for her. This will be my first pro

TK lock can be dialed in on the classic machines with instructions here in the topic index. The new run of prems is supposed to have a tweaked TK lock for more reliable performance. Did your dealer know this? Did she care?

#18831 4 months ago
Quoted from Flash71:

I gotta disagree Chuck. I’m a Premium guy for all titles typically and did own a STh Prem dialed in but I gotta say I’ve recently picked up a pro and I do like it better. Never thought I would. Only pro I own. To each his own though. No wrong answer.

I prefer 2021 Flash71.

Quoted from Flash71:

Premium all day!! So much more to offer.

#18834 4 months ago
Quoted from sidetrackedbrew:

Bend the opposite ball guide forward (left, facing machine) towards the kicker. A little angle on the ball guide softens the impact (so it doesn’t rattle) and changes the trajectory of the ball to swing around the orbit. After an hour of screwing with it, this one bend in 2 seconds made it 100% reliable. Hope this helps someone.

It's a cool trick, but somewhere in this thread Brian Eddy confirmed this is not the intended operation if I remember right.

#18856 4 months ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Already reached out to my distributor who is opening an issue ticket with Stern. Having a problem with my center ramp not rising and lowering as it should.
See video below.
Has anyone else ran into this issue? Both switches work in test mode, but the motor is having issues moving the ramp. There is no visible damage to the mech. Nothing bent or broken.

It says the switch isn't being triggered, so unlikely to be a switch. Try doing that test with the playfield in the up position and watch the actual mechanism (and maybe post a video of that). It seems like maybe the crank is loose causing the spindle from the motor to slip and not completing the job of moving the ramp. There's a set screw on the crank that holds it tight to the motor spindle. I'd check that.

#18860 4 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Why don’t they have have a final checklist with visual inspection? I’ve seen so many little things like this neglected.

$$$

#18914 4 months ago
Quoted from Enron64:

This is the right answer.

I played some more of my pro last night even though I am trying to hold out till the uv kit comes. The point is I can’t wait to play lol. I would keep stranger things.

The addiction says...

why-not-both.gifwhy-not-both.gif
#18918 4 months ago
Quoted from Blast:

I’ve been having problems with the demagorgon ramp. It gets stuck in the down position and then cycles through to go back up but can’t. While that’s happening, the demagorgon is insensitive to being hit. Eventually it is able to recover to the up position, sometimes not until the next ball. What to do? When it’s stuck I’ve removed the glass and tried to manually move it but it’s really locked down. Thanks

In test mode is it triggering the down switch? When it can recover and get to up, is it also triggering the up switch in test mode? It sounds like the switches need adjustment OR the yoke around the spindle that moves the ramp is loose, meaning you need to tighten the set screw on the side of it so it grabs properly.

#18981 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’re not replacing anything, you’re adding a powered sub to underneath the game. Totally worthwhile. You can get a pinnovators kit for spike 2 for 15 bucks that allows a aux to rca connection you can run from the back board in the head through the game out the bottom to hook into the sub.

Yeah, people commonly seem to think that the cabinet speaker is a subwoofer, when it's just a plain woofer. So a subwoofer would be a complement to this, not a replacement for it.

#18990 4 months ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

Is connecting to the board any different than tapping into the woofer with soldered on speaker wires?

I made a connector for the CPU board to split off the signal.

#18992 4 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I'm not keen to do any other updates until cleland decides if his version will be updated. It's just too good. Currently have 1.08 which I know means I miss these new challenge modes and the TK lock updates....

If people throw a few bones his way, I'm sure he'll update the latest version.

#19004 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

Demo shot has been difficult for us to hit on new run pro. It hits the top of the opening. I'll try reducing flipper coil power to get it to come down a bit and hopefully go into the hole

If you do the washer bit to angle the demogorgon back a bit like on first run machines, it will make it easier. It's linked in the topic index, I believe.

#19011 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

Seems like most had shots too low, and needed to lower the mouth. Mine is too high so I need to raise it?
I believe I saw Chuck say somewhere his issue was shots too high on his also. Curious exactly what helped resolve his? Larger spacers to raise it up?

The linked post in the topic index discusses adjustments with washers to make the Demogorgon lean back (shots too high) or forward (shots too low).

#19053 4 months ago

The factory video for today had a sneak peek at the new Stranger Things projector contrast accessory that starts shipping as an option for the new Premiums...

stranger_things_projector_accessory.jpgstranger_things_projector_accessory.jpg
#19055 4 months ago

Stern heard the complaints about projector visibility in bright environments, so they are testing an accessory to provide the ideal environment for Stranger Things. I'm surprised they let it be seen on their factory friday video. It's cardboard, not plexi, so it will probably be a relatively affordable $499.95.

#19058 4 months ago
Quoted from Davi:

You are absolutely right! And now it's available.
[quoted image]

Okay, that destroyed me. You totally elevated the gag. Laughed out loud for a good bit over that!

TWIPY's need a pinball joke of the year. You'd win with that shop picture.

#19069 4 months ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Is this limited edition? I am thinking of buying a bunch and flipping them later.

The beauty of the design is if you open your doors and there's a strong breeze, they flip themselves!

#19078 4 months ago
Quoted from MacGruber:

Right, sounds like the TWIPY's have some open slots but if it lands too toxic by Monday morning we'd loose the best pinball accessory category!

Yeah, I haven't really looked too deeply, but I don't get what's going on there AT ALL. Drama apparently created out of thin air for no proper reason.

#19083 4 months ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Just got my pro and I’ve noticed that the inner lane for extra ball will sometimes light a bicycle or a walker talkie to help advanve towards a chapter mode. Is that normal or do I have a switch acting up somewhere?
[quoted image]

It's just there to help players in the beginning of the game. Essentially a "route friendly" feature since it will help a player get into a mode that may not know how to do it.

#19092 4 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm considering getting in on an ST Premium in the new run. The price is a steal compared to today's overpriced offerings.
I'd like to hear how the code has evolved; when I played the initial release it fell flat for me. The callouts were bored-sounding/uninspired and the rules were not doing much for me.
However, I've heard the code has evolved substantially since then, and I'd like to hear some details on that.
What specifically was changed, and how does it stack up for a person who generally likes deep rulesets?

If you mean by initial release RIGHT after it came out, yeah, code sucked. Lonnie launch special. If you just mean somewhere in the initial run, hard to say because it depends on when that was in its development when you played.

I have a Premium coming in, but I had the Pro through the development until just after they removed the "Video Mode" from the mystery award list, which was a kick in the nuts towards the end after being teased it was coming for a year. I don't think too much changed after that point. The callouts will likely remain unchanged with a bored sheriff reading his lines. The game is pretty straightforward and the shots pretty easy, so it's more about whether you like the "horror-lite" theme and the fact that it shoots well. Definitely order the UV kit, though. It is a feature well-integrated into the code that should have been shipped with the game instead of a $$$ add-on.

#19096 4 months ago

(Probably a stupid question)
I am seeing some marks on the playfield under the middle ramp that comes down for the demo. Is there something I need to tweak? or is this unavoidable

Your ramp may be coming down too hard (too far). You can adjust the switch underneath the pf on the mech that tells the ramp when to stop so it just kisses the PF instead of coming down hard and pressing the flap into it.

#19099 4 months ago

Hmmm, okay I’ll take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully it’s not too complicated. Thank you!
I also attached a few photos to show what I’m talking about.[quoted image][quoted image]

It's pretty easy. Just go into ramp test mode, open the coin door, raise the playfield, then adjust the ramp open switch (one tells the machine when the ramp is up, the other when it's down), close the coin door, test to see where the ramp stops. Repeat until it's just kissing the PF mylar there.

Ramp_sensor (resized).jpgRamp_sensor (resized).jpg

#19102 4 months ago

I am adjusting with these correct? I am not noticing much of a difference [quoted image]

When it clicks, mark a line at the spot on the collar across from the roller with a sharpie. That way you can see that your adjustment is working when the line moves ahead of or behind the roller. You just want to have the switch "click" sooner to stop the ramp earlier. That might require bending the switch arm, too.

#19222 4 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Just realized this is the first pin being delivered by "FedEx Freight Priority" do you guys know or have had them deliver on Saturdays for you ? Is that a thing or is it strictly M-F?

M-F here.

However, our depot is only a couple miles away so I have been known to just pick up the pin at the depot if they have it but the trucks are tied up so delivery will be delayed until Monday. Looooong weekends with your toy sitting at the Fedex depot suck.

#19331 4 months ago
Quoted from NeonNightRide:

I was considering this too. I’m thinking about getting the stock stern side rails with button guards and getting those powder coated. Will that work? Are there any recommendations for companies that powder coat specializing in pinball?
Side note: My premium is arriving today around noon. (Classic Game Rooms out of GA)

Get the bare metal side rails/lockdown bar from Pinball Life. That way they don't have to be smoothed/stripped to powdercoat well.

#19332 4 months ago

any graphic design wizards here that can redraw the art in the back so we can replace it with something more adequate now that the magnet is moved?

I'll give it a shot once my Prem is here sometime next week. Just looking at how far it will have to be moved and the placement of her head on the art next to it, I think her hand will have to be scaled down so it moves over but is still visible, then the burst where the balls should hang be moved over a bit. Dunno. I'll figure it out when it gets here.

It is lame that Stern half-assed the fix by not tweaking the art, which would have been dead simple with the original layered art file. But, not unexpected, so not a surprise. I'm more amazed that they did as much re-engineering as they did to get it working better.

#19355 4 months ago

That could leave a lot of negative space on the right side where the burst lives now. Maybe adding new art, kids on bicycles with van flying over them might work.
Just thinking out loud, this is my photographer brain speaking.
I am not sure how to fix it, but it might open up some other possibilities.

Yeah, there will be more area on the right if it's shifted over, but some errant electricity sparks or something could fill it up.

Or I could put TELEKINESIS LOCK in bold letters next to it.

#19415 4 months ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

Has anyone experienced when sliding glass back in it does not smoothly go into top channel? I have to press the center of the top of the glass down a bit to get it in the channel groove

You can warm it up with a blowdryer (not with the glass in) until it softens a bit, THEN put the glass in and it should firm up at the higher point. Just make sure the glass isn't cold as a large temp differential between the warm plastic channel and cold glass can cause the glass to shatter unexpectedly.

#19467 4 months ago
Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Sadly, this isn't the first time this has happened. I don't know if it's my local FedEx depot or just bad mojo, but I have bought four NIB this year and FedEx damaged two of them. The only two that weren't damaged were co-palleted together. Each one that came solo arrived forked. I am getting a refund and am waiving off NIB going forward.

One dist I bought from put cheap wood all the way around the machine. Box looked like new once I removed the straps (they were just held in with the straps). By far the best-preserved pin box i've ever had delivered. Seems like more dists should offer this at least as a value-add option for shipping.

LE_arrival (resized).jpgLE_arrival (resized).jpg
#19671 4 months ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

2) What's happening is: You hit the center drop targets, they don't go down instantly
or softly, and because they are being hit so har, the ball bounces back at you at high speeds before they fall, and its easy to drain down the middle. He says the pros werent falling all the time either. I've only seen it on mine a couple of times, but have the same rebound issue and power concerns.
Stronger springs on the drops maybe? Something else?

This is known as bricking. James Bond had this issue on the drop targets. They are hit so hard the target comes off the shelf holding it up, but then bounces back ON the shelf before the spring has time to pull it DOWN so it can't re-grab the shelf. The springs just need to pull harder so the target drops sooner once it's off the shelf. You don't have to buy new springs, just cut about 20% off the existing springs and problem solved. Here's my fix post in the Bond 007 thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/james-bond-official-owners-club/page/70#post-7416902

Cost: $0.00 and about 15-20 minutes of time.

Quoted from DiabloRush:

Stern changed the flipper bushings on the new run. They have considerably less slop. The new bushings are no longer 100% nylon, but probably some glass-filled polymer. This allows greater precision in molding. As a result, at a given power setting, they're more powerful...

...A quick measurement last night shows the new Stern bushing/flipper combo at ~ 6 mils of runout. That's a considerable improvement, and explains why these new games appear more powerful. Reduce slop (more precision) = more power and less coil heating.
[quoted image]

I'm very excited to test the flipper temps again with this change. The first run of Stranger Things was the beginning of what became the Tibetan Breeze cooling kits due to the hot flipper temps and fade that made the left ramp hard to backhand on the Pros once fade hit. Very interested to compare the new data with these new bushings to the original run.

#19705 4 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:My left and right ramp projector decals have some kind of blemishes on them. It doesn’t wipe off, it’s like the material itself has been damaged somehow. I haven’t play a single game, it’s like this out of box. Any thoughts before I contact support?

I think that's just adhesive for the decal not fully engaged with the ramp plastic. If you remove the ramp and smooth the decal with a credit card edge, it should smooth out and fix it.

#19715 4 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

This is where I was last night, thought it was fixed, this morning focus was out again. I'll give it another shot.

Focus changes as it warms up, so cold will always be a little out of focus. You want to adjust the focus with it warmed up.

#19716 4 months ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Wanna get back in the club. Should I go with a new prem or get a used pro

If you can afford it, new Premium with UV kit is the best experience. But the Pro is a perfectly fun game, too. I've had both. UV kit is pretty much mandatory, tho.

#19721 4 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I know. Been waiting 20-30 mins after start to make sure. I'll try longer.

Pinmonk projector warmer, coming soon. "Play with amazing clarity, faster."

(It's not, that's a joke...)

#19722 4 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Anyone been successful loading the new Cleland 1.11 code? I’ve tried multiple sub and file downloads, different Sd cards with no progress
Never had a problem with any other version of his code

Some kind of region lock in software now? Wait...that wouldn't work. Everyone's downloading the same files from the same Stern site (unless you're directed to another server transparently if downloading outside of NA...NAH, Stern isn't that advanced).

#19729 4 months ago

Someone here was saying on the new mechanism setup they could backhand ball 2 and 3 because of the mag-assist™ by ball 1 already locked.

#19750 4 months ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Everyone having TK lock problems what is your flipper power? I am down to 205 and I think it might be just right now and TK seems to be perfect. At higher flipper powers I would over power the system and shot over it then it would register as a Virtual lock. But at 205 it seems to be working perfectly.
Otherwise I think I am finally dialed in.
Tough game only managed like 250M as my best game and now I need to fine lots of online tutorials to learn the rules better.

Reminder to all to drop your trough eject power to 180-200 so it just serves the ball to the shooter lane instead of slamming it into the shooter lane. The easiest adjustment to save wear and tear.

#19752 4 months ago
Quoted from shlap:

QQ, just got a ST Premium and I noticed the demogorgan doesn't shake nearly as much as others. You can barely notice. Is there something I can adjust to get more shake? I looked under the playfield and it's not obvious to me.

My demogorgon was not shaking at all initially, just barely vibrating. Three things made it better:

There's a thick black wire on the right side that had too much tension on it, restraining movement of the demogorgon sculpt. I gave that wire some slack and zip-tied it to a bundle so the slack wouldn't disappear once it started moving. Helped.

The coil assembly under the playfield that drives the "poke post" up through the playfield to prod the demogorgon has a rubber rest stop. It was all the way at the bottom of the bracket, meaning the coil had to move the shaft 7/8ths of the way before it contacted the demogorgon that last 1/8th of the movement. I loosened the nut and screwed the rest pad up raising the resting point of the shaft so the rod started about 50% closer than before. That way it contacted the demogorgon almost immediately and pushed the plate that moved it more forcefully so I get a more "shaking" movement.

Demogorgon coil bracket AFTER I moved up the rubber rest point:
demo-coil-adjust (resized).jpgdemo-coil-adjust (resized).jpg

The biggest improvement, however was removal of the chin rest that was restricting forward movement. It's a pain to get to, but you don't necessarily have to remove the left ramp to get the gate out to remove it.

Here's where the rest is:
spacer-location (resized).jpgspacer-location (resized).jpg

And here's how it's secured to the gate:
chin-rest-detail (resized).jpgchin-rest-detail (resized).jpg

To remove the rest, you have to remove the gate, and to get to it, you need to at least remove two plastic pieces. A magnetic philips screwdriver is VERY HELPFUL HERE. Non magnetic will be an exercise in frustration, probably requiring you remove the left ramp in addition.

Here's the picture of the screws and nuts you need to remove to get the gate out, and the general order:
screw removals (resized).jpgscrew removals (resized).jpg

1. Remove screw.
2. Use 1/4" nut driver to remove standoff
3. remove screw and washer (magnetic really helps not lose them as you lift them up.
The side plastic piece can now be removed. Lower plastic is next - this is kind of flexed and a puzzle to get out.
4. Remove screw. This is UNDER the raised plastic on the left, so not visible until you remove that in steps 1-3.
5. 11/32" (I think?) nut driver to remove this nut on the right side of gate also holding the right side of the plastic. You will need to hold demogorgon back a bit to give enough access to this nut.
Now the flat plastic can be removed carefully with a little careful shifting and twisting. It actually goes in easier than it comes out. You will need to manipulate the demogorgon as you free the plastic, so don't be afraid to move it.
6. This is pointing to the underside of the demogorgon on the right side of the gate. Flex the demogorgon back a bit and remove the screw and washer (again magnetic screwdriver is a big help here.

Once the gate is free, hold the rubber chin rest with pliers while you unscrew the screw holding it to the gate.

When done, reverse the above and you're done.

Note that by removing the chin rest the right petal of the demogorgon's head can become a ball trap if you adjust the grubscrew too far. On mine, when the demogorgon is losing its mind shaking it can temporarily pause the ball from draining to the right off the plastic, but as soon as the shaking stops in a couple seconds, it drains fine. This trade is worth it for the extra visual the super-shaking provides, IMO. YMMV.

This is how the demogorgon shaking is improved after the above changes:

#19803 4 months ago

Did you find the projector to focus alright? Any issues?

I hate the slider. I don't think it's actually a potentiometer-type but more of a relative digital device because the same point doesn't yield the same focus result every time. I didn't have experience with the wheel version, but I think I would have preferred that. A pair of Focus "+ / -" buttons would have been a lot better. It's irritating to set the focus because you get it perfect and then you put the apron on and the clearance for the cables not being at all adequate, the USB cable rubs against the apron as you re-install it, and poof, the focus is messed up again because the casing moved. I'm sure I'll *get* it, but the process is more annoying than expected.

#19804 4 months ago
Quoted from Medic:

I think someone mentioned earlier that if you take the focus cover out you can access from inside the coin door without taking the apron off

You can access the projector slider from the ball drain opening on the apron. It's just hanging out there, pretty much fully accessible if you reach a finger in.

#19807 4 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

In my latest attempt to adjust focus I had it good, then pulled the playfield out onto the service rails and focus went blurry. Banged my hand lightly on the apron a couple of times and it went back into focus. I had an old tv like that once. I really hope I just have a bad projector and it isn't a model issue.

Have had that happen, too. Made me wonder the same thing. You HAVE to raise the PF to access the two nuts to remove the apron, so there's no way around some vibration putting it back together. Made me wonder what the shaker motor experience focus/not focus is like.

#19809 4 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You can remove the foam bracket so you can adjust the focus without removing the apron, but I don't want to have to be constantly pulling the glass to adjust focus either. The projector should be able to withstand a reasonable amount of vibration without throwing everything out of whack or it will never work long term for a pinball machine.
Others don't seem to have the same issue, and I assume Stern tested this new model, so I am cautiously optimistic I just have a defective one. I have a detailed email with video into Stern, but realistically I am not expecting much of a response until the New Year.

Yeah, I've tried it without, too. I'm really wondering if mine is also defective as it's super sensitive to vibration. Since the slider seems to be a digital input device rather than a potentiometer, it would have been nice if they had just put a plug on the side of the unit allowing a remote wiring setup and the "+/-" adjuster could have been routed to the coin door to make adjustments convenient.

#19824 4 months ago
Quoted from OreoFlapjacks:

is fade in ST a problem in the home setting where you may play only a few games at a time (and I suck at pinball so my games are not too long)?

As a general rule of thumb, if you're playing total sessions of less than 30 minutes (not 30 minute games, but total play time at one go), there's no issue with fade, so you wouldn't benefit from active cooling, except maybe to extend the life of the coils themselves. Fade creeps in usually starting around the 30 minute mark. I haven't temp tested Stranger Things with the new, improved flipper bushings, but I would expect that the tighter tolerance (compared to the sloppier original run flipper bushings) means that the fade window from heat has been pushed out to 45 minutes or more. I'll know when I complete a 2 hour test very soon (and will, like usual, post the results).

The fans themselves are very quiet. The standard kit with the 3D printed brackets you can barely hear once the machine is closed up in a quiet room (game not playing), and are close to the machine. The stainless steel ZENs are essentially silent at about 6dB total quieter than the standards. Fan noise REALLY bugs me (hence the power supply quiet fan kits to get rid of the stock ~34dB fan) so I try to use bracket design (and mounting system) plus good fan choice to get any noise as quiet as possible.

Quoted from OreoFlapjacks:

I'm a huge "anti-fan" of fan noise and would rather limit play time than install more fans.

Also, look at it this way - if you replace the stock 34.6dB (or more if you have the even crappier powerNEX fan in more recent sterns at ~38dB) fan in the power supply with the one I made the DIY thread on, or you can buy plug and play kit from me, that's 22dB less fan noise immediately. At that point, there's PLENTY of overhead for flipper cooling and STILL be below the stock Stern noise level. Quiet power supply fan plus a flipper cooling kit is still a net REDUCTION in the noise level of a stock Stern.

#19825 4 months ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

So a couple observations. After spending time dialing in and getting my premium ready for route. What about a stronger coil for the demagorgan and a stronger magnet for the lock? Seems too obvious but I think that would definitely be an easy button.

A stronger coil isn't necessary for the demogorgon. Adjusting the coil assembly that drives the poker will give you better shaking is yours is barely moving. Go to the topic index at the top of any page in this thread, click on keypost summary, then look for "TECH:TOYS" for the keypost where I showed how to adjust a 2023 demogorgon that isn't moving well so it shakes better.

#19828 4 months ago

Is there a brightness/contrast/gamma setting somewhere for the 2023 projector, or do I have to hook the USB to a computer and install a driver to access it via software? The gamma on mine is pretty blown out. I'd like to dial it back a few clicks.

#19831 4 months ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Where do you get the material?

There's a post with all the information in the topic index. Click on Topic Index at the top of any page, then keypost summary then look for the "MOD: Information on screen material to improve projector image quality" entry talking about the screen material. Click on that. Has all the info you need.

#19842 4 months ago

Did a quick test of the crappy A(ss)DATA 8GB SD card Stern ships with Stranger Things, that is rated at 30MB/s read compared to a Sandisk Extreme Plus ($12.99 at Best Buy right now) rated at 170MB/s.

Boot times:
ADATA (Stern Stock) 30MB/s UHS I - 44s
Sandisk Extreme 32GB 80MB/s UHS I - 41s
Sandisk Ultra 32GB 130MB/s UHS I - 38s
Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB 170MB/s UHS I - 35s
Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 280MB/s UHS II - 36s

This is intriguing enough that I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro rated at 280MB/sec coming to see if that shaves another 5-10 seconds off the boot time. This may be limited by the bus speed on the CPU board, so the extra speed won't matter...or maybe not. Let's find out!

EDIT: Got the Sandisk Pro Extreme UHS II 280MB/s and tried it - no improvement over the Extreme Plus UHS I 170MB/s (results added above). I have to conclude that the SD card reading is limited by the speed of the bus on the CPU board and the limit is somewhere below 280MB/s. I'm going to try some other speeds LESS THAN 170MB/s to see if that was overkill and a cheaper SD card could still give faster boots.

#19845 4 months ago
Quoted from brooklynknight:

Just spent the past few hours dialing my nib stranger things premium. I have two challenges. One is the bash to does not shake. I can here the coil shooting to shake it but it does not move. It's like it's stuck. Any thoughts? Also the movie screen on left side has a noticeable larger gap then the left side. Thoughts on correcting it. Other than that this is way more emerssive than the pro. I also love the lock mech. I have not had issues with it yet.
[quoted image]

Check the topic index at the top of this thread

#19852 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

My son is trying to assist.
This blows!
SD card error.
Really

Boise best buy run for new sd card?

#19856 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do these new screens hold up to abuse?

They are Chris Brown A+ rated, so yes.

chris-brown-approves (resized).jpgchris-brown-approves (resized).jpg
#19859 4 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

I did amazon same day delivery. Worst Buy always a last resort. lol

My only issue with Amazon for Sandisk is they have had issues with counterfeits getting into their stock, and they're pretty good, except for the terrible performance. So I try to get Sandisk products at B&M stores like Best Buy where possible.

#19863 4 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Is there a part number for the flipper bushings on this latest run? They are a different bushing than used in the past. Someone must know????

Since it's backwards compatible and would make no sense for Stern to stock two kinds of a commodity part like flipper bushings, I'm assuming the new style replaces the old. They didn't change the part number in the Stranger Things manual, either. 545-5070-00.

#19874 4 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks Mate - searching the part number gives me a bunch of results with the regular nylon bushing, not the updated one. If any new owner here is putting precision flippers in their game I'll happily buy the existing new bushings

My guess is Stern will look at this as a rolling production change and not explicitly break the new version out.

#19879 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

New SD card installed.
Now stuck on this Bloody screen with no way to navigate it?
No flipper
No condor
Just Stuck!
Merry Christmas Stern
Thanks for this POS machine
[quoted image]

Pull the white post in the inside left of the coin door frame if you have it open. Without the door closed or the post pulled you have no power to the node board, and hence, no flippers. Would be nice if Stern TOLD new users this on that setup screen.

#19881 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Already tried that.
Zip.
This is like my 15th NIB Stern.
Definitely upsetting at this point.
I do appreciate your assistance however.
Thanks

Hmm.

Did you try rebooting with the coin door closed?

Since you got it from Amazon, there IS the possibility you got hit with the counterfeit Sandisk thing I was talking about. This is the kind of weird stuff the counterfeits do.

You could try running a performance test on the SD card in a windows machine. There are a number of utilities that will give you read/write performance that might give you a clue if it is or isn't a legit Sandisk product.

#19883 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Purchased at Walmart today.[quoted image]

I'd run a performance test on it and make sure there isn't some issue with the card. It'd just take a few minutes and rule that out.

Did you reboot the pin with the coin door closed after that first time where you got no input controls?

#19886 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Not sure as I've now done it repeatedly different ways.
How do I run the performance test if no controls work?

I'd put the SD card back in, close the coin door and boot, first. Don't open the coin door until you're on the screen where you couldn't navigate before.

To check the card's performance, I meant take the SD card and put it in a PC with a utility program (there are a bunch of free ones) for windows that will test the card's read/write performance. If it's way off or the utility reports write issues, the card may be bad. Speaking of which, it would be NICE if Stern included an SD card performance tester on the system menu.

You could also re-do the card. Could have just been a bad imaging the first time. It can happen. Did you use balenaEtcher for that the first time?

#19888 4 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Could it be an issue with the size of the card? I generally try to stay with a 16gb or 8gb card for Stern games.

Maayyybe. But I use 64GB Sandisk Extreme Plus in Sterns all the time without issue. I think the trouble starts at 128MB. But I'm not familiar with the walmart-exclusive Sandisk Imagemate line. Might be something unique to it.

#19891 4 months ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

I put a 32 in this AM without issue.
You could also use windows disk manager to delete the partition and create an 8-16GB one, but I’ve got a feeling he might have issues beyond the SD card

Yeah, the way it died originally after 6 games and a reboot, it might just be that some part of the CPU board went down.

#19896 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

When ball 2 gets locked for TK MB the machine is going into a ball search. The diverter comes out correctly and the second ball sticks to the backboard but it just goes into ball search...
What do I need to check? How does the machine recognized the ball was locked on a premium. This doesn't not happen with ball 1

Do you have 6 balls in the game?

#19898 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

Yes, sorry should have said that was the first thing I checked

Check all 6 balls with a steel paperclip. If one or more are magnetized, it could prevent them from rolling down the ball trough correctly as each ball is ejected.

#19900 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

It boots to the main startup screen.
Clock works but no buttons work.

Is this 1.11? Maybe try loading 1.08 to force the node boards to be re-written with 1.08 compatible code, trying that, then doing 1.11, which will re-write all the boards with 1.11-specific node code. Might fix a wonky node update when you initially did the new SD card. When you boot the 1.08 make sure the coin door is closed until the startup/config screen.

If you haven't got 1.08, PM me.

#19902 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

I will check. They are brand new Polaris carbons. Would that exhibit only after a ball 2 lock?

Ball 2 lock is not the key if it's magnetism. It's where the magnetized balls are in the trough when ball 2 was locked. It's a good place to start.

#19904 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

Checked all 6, not magnetized. I put the 6 new stern balls in that came with the machine and it's doing the same with those. Repeatable every time with ball 2 lock

Do a ball trough check in the system menu. Watch the sensors at each position as it cycles the balls to see if any of them are behaving erratically or not working.

#19907 4 months ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

I tried this, nd the problem with turning them down to 225 is you cant backhand the left ramp, and you can still get airballs. i played a gen 1 ST last night again and tnr flippers have a MUCH lighter touch, but still make ramp shots easier.
IMO here is what is happening: Stern used the latest bin of parts, and the tolerances have changed. the springs are too strong on the drops clearly.

Why do you think the springs are too strong on the drops? Mine aren't strong enough! Bricking is pretty common as a result, even with lower flipper power. I'll be cutting springs to increase the strength to stop that.

Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

The flippers either have a higher coil wind (comparing labels tonight), or the bushing mech or spring made them stronger. it is universally overpowered, in addition to poor alignment in several places.
Will report more later after more testing.

Coils haven't changed. Same as the original, according to my notes. Additional power seems to be the result of the tighter bushing tolerance.

EDIT: Just double-checked visually. Coils are exactly the same.

#19909 4 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stronger springs usually makes bricking worse. Or it can at least.

I can see that past a point, where the spring is pulling down so hard the ball hitting it won't move it off the shelf and let it fall. But I think Stranger Things is similar to Bond where the springs are too weak and the ball force too hard, so the target bounces back ONTO the shelf before the spring can pull it down. I'm going to cut springs tonight and see if it fixes the bricking.

EDIT: Visually checked. It's (weak) red springs, just like Bond.
target-springs-red (resized).jpgtarget-springs-red (resized).jpg
Cutting ~20% off to make them pull down a little faster is likely the answer here, too. Will report back once I've done it, but I expect 100% success based on Bond.

DOUBLE EDIT: Cut the springs ~20% (actually eyeballed, so ended up more like 25%) like Bond. Fixed the problem 100%. Just played a few games concentrating only on smashing the targets as hard and directly as I could to force a brick - experienced 0 bricks where I would have had a number of them before cutting springs. This is the fix. It's a bit more annoying job to do it on this than Bond, about a 25 minute job. Not hard, just annoying. I'll post a how-to with pictures later tonight.

#19915 4 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

All the switches are registering correctly in trough check with 6 balls. I even tested with only 5 and 4 balls to simulate the stages of TK ball locking 1 and 2 balls and its registering fine. For some reason the machine is not recognizing that the second ball is locked for TK.

Sounds like it's limited to something on the backboard, then. Unfortunately I'm not sure how that works as I haven't looked, so do report what you find.

#19922 3 months ago
Quoted from Svenop:

My diverter was hitting the ramp so I adjusted the stop. It wasn't even contacting the stop.
Also the game arrived with a missing screw at the apron. I don't think I'll be able to get projector focus to be static without that screw keeping the apron tight so I'll be off the hardware store on Tuesday. I'll check the manual for specs on that screw, if anyone knows the specifics of that screw it'll help to have so I don't have to take the other one for reference

It's a 10-32 5/16" flat head phillips.

#19924 3 months ago

Here's the step-by-step to fix the targets that may brick (ball hits target, target doesn't drop) on your 2023 run of Stranger Things. The new run has new flipper bushings that make the flippers a bit more powerful, sending balls into the targets harder, which can make them brick instead of dropping reliably. James Bond Dr. No had this same issue, with the same too-weak springs. The fix is the same - cut the springs.

To do this, you need:
Phillips #2 screwdriver
Standard blade-type screwdriver (wider tip, the better)
Precision cutter (or a wire cutter)
1/4" socket with driver or rachet to drive it

--------------------------------

First - TURN THE POWER OFF to avoid any unfortunate mistakes with electricity. Glass off, remove balls, playfield up.

I find fixing the springs is easier with the assembly out of the machine. So remove the whole drop target assembly:

First, using a 1/4" socket, unscrew the four screws holding the unit to the playfield. Set the four screws aside.
target_step2 (resized).jpgtarget_step2 (resized).jpg

Next, unplug the coil connector. I do this second so there's a bit of safety when you untether the unit from the playfield in the step before.
target_step1 (resized).jpgtarget_step1 (resized).jpg
Then turn the assembly over. There's a connector for the optos on the opto board on the back.
target_step3 (resized).jpgtarget_step3 (resized).jpg
The connector is pretty tight, so you might find it useful to use a wide standard screwdriver blade to pry it up on each end so the connector can be removed easier. AGAIN, THE POWER SHOULD ALREADY BE OFF AS YOU ARE DOING THIS.
target_step4 (resized).jpgtarget_step4 (resized).jpg
When the target assembly is out of the machine, use the #2 Phillips to carefully remove all 8 screws from the opto board and remove the board. You CAN do this spring fix without removing the opto board, but it's a pain. Just remove the opto board, trust me. Set the board and 8 screws aside.

Note the orientation of the spring loops on the assembly, then remove the first spring by unhooking the red end at the bottom, then angling the end on the middle of the target up and off.
target_step5 (resized).jpgtarget_step5 (resized).jpg
Eyeball about 25% down from the top of the spring on the end OPPOSITE the red coating and separate the coils a bit so you can cut the spring there. Cut the spring a couple coils up on the spring from where you want the spring to be at the end to allow two rows of loops to be flipped up to hook on the target again. Separate two turns down from where you cut and bend that up to create a new hook point. Here's a reference of one I cut relative to the original length. Cutting too little is worse than cutting 5-10% too much, IMO, because if you're too timid and leave the spring slightly too long, it won't fix the bricking issue for that spring because it will still be too weak/slow to pull the target down fast enough.
target_step6 (resized).jpgtarget_step6 (resized).jpg
Re-install the spring by looping the non-colored end to the target hook, then stretching it and hooking it onto the metal assembly, again noting the orientation of the loops relative to the assembly - use the ones still connected for reference.
target_step7 (resized).jpgtarget_step7 (resized).jpg
Repeat the process for the other 3 springs.

Re-seat the opto board to the post standoffs, NOTING THE ORIENTATION OF THE OPTOS when you put it back. They MUST straddle the "flag" on the end of the target as seen in the picture below:
target_step8 (resized).jpgtarget_step8 (resized).jpg
Put the 8 opto board screws back on to secure the board again, and re-attach the opto connector, noting the orientation of the connector is correct.

Re-attach the assembly to the playfield with the 4 wood 1/4" screws.

Reconnect the coil connector.

Drop the playfield, re-install balls, re-install glass and lockdown, power on and enjoy your more droppable targets.

#19934 3 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

That's an excellent write up man.
I will say I initially did this with bond, but over time the bricking came back. I'm presuming it's stretch

Yeah, the springs will stretch out over time, but if bricking came back within a year or so, the springs likely weren't cut back enough initially. I did this personally on a few bonds (including mine) and none of them have bricked again. I am surprised (not surprised) Stern didn't use the next spring up on these after the experience with Bond. Especially with the new bushings on Stranger Things.

#19936 3 months ago
Quoted from Ghosters:

Where can you adjust the flipper power. I done it before on Rush, but I cant seem to find it in adjustments.

It's on the "ST" sub menu of the Adjustments menu. Adjustment numbers are 106 & 107. Just go left when you open the ST menu so you don't have to count up to 106. Gets you there a lot faster.

Drop your trough eject to 180-ish (adjustment 103) while you're in there to save your shooter lane.

#19937 3 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Thoughts on setup for location play? Thinking I might bring the outlane posts in to the middle spot or turn the sling power down a tad. Outlanes are brutal enough to irritate me a bit, I'm guessing it's pushing unfun for randoms.

I'd let the average ball time audit (and the left/right/center drain percentage stats) be your guide once it's out for a week or two. Don't want to end up with ball times too long. I generally just made a long ball saver time on the route machines, which benefits randoms but doesn't really help good players like closing outlanes will.

#19939 3 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

How is the 2023 run premium tk lock even supposed to work when it works as intended? All three balls make a ball chain leading down and left from the magnet? My third ball never locked before I did the pawl bend so just curious. Even with that fix, the second ball got knocked off by the third ball often enough I have just turned on 3rd ball virtual lock. Honestly seems like a failed mech even with the “new” design.

Mine often locks in a cluster rather than a hanging chain. I think the cluster is the intended operation, it's just not consistent.

#19948 3 months ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

500W Pinmonk Quietfan in the power supply

Thanks for the support.

Also changed mine out, and it was the crappy PowerNex fan inside again (doesn't SAY PowerNex, the model sticker starts with CHA4012, which is how you know it is). That was a bit of a surprise because this one seemed to be a lower frequency than usual - the sound when it came on was lower and not *as* annoying. I don't have any proof of this (yet) but it seems like one of three things happened with my Stranger Things that made the power supply seem quieter stock:

1. The PowerNex fans have been tweaked somewhat so they output a lower frequency at full speed
2. The one I got was a fluke
3. Stern got Meanwell to give the fan less power so it turns a bit more slowly - which would also lower the frequency.

I'm thinking 1 or 2 because I don't think Stern cares enough for 3.

I intend to investigate a bit more by checking the power output on the fan connector once I get the temp testing done on the "tighter tolerance bushing" flippers.

#19950 3 months ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Thank you for everything, man. I honestly didn't even bother to check the OEM fan in the Meanwell PS. It's automatic for me to take out the power supply at the same time I open up the service panel to plug in the speaker light mod. I consider PinMonk fans a mandatory Stern upgrade. My gameroom is pretty quiet, and your upgrade fans are near dead silent.

Same here. I don't keep the new pins long, just a matter of weeks while I test/mod them, and every time I say I will not do the power supply fan since I have the pin such a short time, but every time I break down within a day because the noise drives me bonkers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Trade
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

654 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinmonk. You are on page 2 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/2?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.