20240326_234550 (resized).jpg
20240326_234700 (resized).jpg
20240326_221810 (resized).jpg
Stranger Things Targets (resized).jpg
IMG_3169 (resized).jpeg
chamber (resized).jpg
StrangerThingsProjectorIssue (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 445.
#10201 2 years ago

I was gonna say, if you’re going to put Mylar in all those places you might as well do a playfield protector.

#10202 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks, is this the fix that worked for you? I have a bunch of spare spacers of varying heights, I’ll try them today. Is there a consensus that it’s okay to just use the 2 bolts to secure the DG, and leave the hex head wood screw out? I had to take out my entire left ramp to get to that screw.

yes, some people take the spacers completely out. You can raise or lower the demogorgon depending on if it's hitting low or high. Mine was always hitting the bottom lip and bouncing out so for me the solution was shorter spacers. I actually dropped it even more after the initial fix and you can use washers or whatever you have on hand to use as spacers. I played with several different sized spacers before settling on where mine is at so it's very machine specific.

Yes, leave the top screw out so it's easy to remove in the future. The top screw is not needed.

While you have the demo out to mess with the spacers remove the spacer under the nose of the demogorgon on the one way gate. It keeps the demo from sitting forward and is not needed.

#10203 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I was gonna say, if you’re going to put Mylar in all those places you might as well do a playfield protector.

Ugh. I bought one of those for JM, and it’s thick enough that it created lots of problems. Full Playfield mylar is probably the way to go on this one, especially if I’m going to put it on location eventually.

#10204 2 years ago

I blacked that area out in my pf redo.
This shot was before clearing.

IMG_20200418_150555 (resized).jpgIMG_20200418_150555 (resized).jpg
#10205 2 years ago

Nice, it fits the theme well.

#10206 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The ball comes out of that saucer like a rocket, so I’m going to Mylar the entire path up to the BIB lane, as well as the area in front of the drops.
TBH I’m considering stripping down the top so I can do the entire playfield. This game has more air balls than anything I’ve ever owned.

Lol chill out there, don’t go crazy on the mylar. There are only a few areas worth covering up but not the entire game...

I would not worry too much or gonna end up like this:

2B05124F-2C8B-46A4-B190-95B3A0C218FD (resized).jpeg2B05124F-2C8B-46A4-B190-95B3A0C218FD (resized).jpeg
#10207 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Lol chill out there, don’t go crazy on the mylar. There are only a few areas worth covering up but not the entire game...
I would not worry too much or gonna end up like this:[quoted image]

True story: we made fun of our stepmother for doing that, but you know what? Her sofa looked new after all us little shits were out of her life. Lol.

#10208 2 years ago

@c0untdem0net, great advice. I dropped my DG by 3.5m, and removed the hex riser on the one-way gate. Then dropped my flippers to 220. So far I’m about 75% on righteous kills (with some sloppy misses that I don’t count). I want this game to be perfect for league night next Saturday, and thanks to this club I think it’s almost there.

#10209 2 years ago

Has anyone received they’re toppers from classic game room yet?

#10210 2 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I blacked that area out in my pf redo.
This shot was before clearing.[quoted image]

How has your reclear held up to the torture of this game?

#10211 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

C0untDeM0net, great advice. I dropped my DG by 3.5m, and removed the hex riser on the one-way gate. Then dropped my flippers to 220. So far I’m about 75% on righteous kills (with some sloppy misses that I don’t count). I want this game to be perfect for league night next Saturday, and thanks to this club I think it’s almost there.

I recommend you keep the flippers full power. Game shoots much better that way

#10212 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

True story: we made fun of our stepmother for doing that, but you know what? Her sofa looked new after all us little shits were out of her life. Lol.

sure that is one side of the coin, the other side, hypothetically you can die tomorrow hit by a train - insert preferred accidental death - and never get to enjoy your couch... I try to not take anything for granted.

#10213 2 years ago

This is the game that made me believe in mylar:

http://reelsonfire.blogspot.com/2010/10/mylar-removal-complete.html

I wish I’d kept up that blog. I was still excited about every new thing back then, and I did a lot more restoration.

#10214 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

This is the game that made me believe in mylar:
http://reelsonfire.blogspot.com/2010/10/mylar-removal-complete.html
I wish I’d kept up that blog. I was still excited about every new thing back then, and I did a lot more restoration.

I dont think clear coated PFs need mylar, I only use it on areas that see lots of traffic on the exact same spot (shooter lane for example) and other places were balls are dropped... the rest, I really don't care... these game will outlive me as they are....

#10215 2 years ago

I just pulled my Aerosmith off of a location, and I’m cleaning it up tonight. It’s crazy how much mylar Stern put on this game. The 2 saucer kickouts each get a 1.5”x6” strip of mylar. But Pin_Fandango I agree that with waxing, Stern’s clearcoat holds up really well by itself. You’d never know this game was in an arcade for 4 months.

It’s taking me a lot of discipline to clean AS instead of playing STH.

#10216 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

How has your reclear held up to the torture of this game?

so far so good...but its even more brutal now with a slick playfield!

#10217 2 years ago

So I followed the left orbit video guide Chuck (thank you). When ball has momentum its perfect now, drops right onto left flipper. But still when it comes out of mystery/Demo hole on left slowly, activates left sling. Have started just nudging the machine when its coming towards the sling and that works 90% of the time. Not sure if any other tips?

#10218 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

So I followed the left orbit video guide Chuck (thank you). When ball has momentum its perfect now, drops right onto left flipper. But still when it comes out of mystery/Demo hole on left slowly, activates left sling. Have started just nudging the machine when its coming towards the sling and that works 90% of the time. Not sure if any other tips?

1- try increasing the pitch
2- Is the game levelled?
3- is the ball getting hit by the lock/release?
If yes to both #2 & #3, try replacing the spring power at the solenoid. I replaced mine with a system 11 flipper return spring ( minus 2 coils that I cut off ). This is the same length as the original spring but reduced power. I measured the springs with a scale and the system 11 is about 10% to 15% weaker (yes I am a nerd who used to have tools to gauge spring weight)

Here are some pics with my results and a pic of the springs. On the right is the original S11 spring before I cut 2 coils off. Doing this change the pattern in which the ball gets hit by the release and it helped in reducing the randomness.

IMG_5935 (resized).jpegIMG_5935 (resized).jpegIMG_5936 (resized).jpegIMG_5936 (resized).jpegIMG_5937 (resized).jpegIMG_5937 (resized).jpegIMG_5938 (resized).jpegIMG_5938 (resized).jpeg
#10219 2 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

from where did you order?? still waiting on mine from cointaker, and the UV kit as well

Same here ..Last time i spoke to cointaker they said it was going to be mid march . guess i should have ask of what year

#10220 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The point is whether it was worth the embarrassment of having those fugly plastic protectors on the furniture all those years, and hearing the squeaking sound when people sat on it, just so it would look "new" after the little shits were gone?

#10221 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The point is whether it was worth the embarrassment of having those fugly plastic protectors on the furniture all those years, and hearing the squeaking sound when people sat on it, just so it would look "new" after the little shits were gone?

No. It's not worth it. Because at the end of the day when you remove the plastic it still smells like old people.

Ask me how I know.

#10222 2 years ago

Okay, you guys have convinced me. No full playfield mylar. However, here’s a no-brainer PSA: turn the trough eject power all the way down, to 176. I forgot to do that for AS, and some clear chipped off in my shooter lane. Not a tragedy, just something that’s easy to prevent.

ED0DFD68-83FA-4E12-A189-8ABEF225D8EB (resized).jpegED0DFD68-83FA-4E12-A189-8ABEF225D8EB (resized).jpeg
#10223 2 years ago

Yep. I think that tiny sliver of CC us still gonna crack off from time to time, but I’ve had my trough eject as low as it will go and Mylar from day one, and my shooter lane still looks great 2200 plays later.

#10224 2 years ago

Thinking about buying an STH and my distributor said Stern is not making premiums anymore...? Is that true? Also... who’s gonna be the mod hero who makes an after market UV kit and projector mod?

#10225 2 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Thinking about buying an STH and my distributor said Stern is not making premiums anymore...? Is that true? Also... who’s gonna be the mod hero who makes an after market UV kit and projector mod?

I assume the projector uses the CN10 HDMI output from the CPU. With the Pro code, it probably has the same output as the LCD (for streaming). You could try running Premium code on a Pro, but I’d be afraid of unintended consequences.

I had no desire for a moving T-Rex head in my JP, and I have even less interest in making my STH Pro act like a Premium. It’s great just like it is, IMHO.

#10226 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I recommend you keep the flippers full power. Game shoots much better that way

I tried both 225 and 255, and I notice that I brick the drop targets a lot more at full power. But I also noticed that I made the right ramp more often. I’ll try 240 as a “happy medium”.

#10227 2 years ago

Has anyone received a topper from cointaker yet?

#10228 2 years ago
Quoted from TUFLYF:

Has anyone received a topper from cointaker yet?

Melissa has me down for their next batch said in the next few weeks

#10229 2 years ago

I bookmarked a few more hours’ worth of callouts and sounds.

#10230 2 years ago

FWIW my distributor (CGR) told me he’s hearing end of May for the Stern UV Kits.

#10231 2 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Same here ..Last time i spoke to cointaker they said it was going to be mid march . guess i should have ask of what year

Same here. I sent an email last week and they said the topper is currently expected for June. They also said they suspect the UV kits might go in June also, but they weren't sure. Not sure what year

#10232 2 years ago

My ball still gets stuck fairly often in the spot where you get the extra ball, mystery, etc. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned to push up on the little tab above the gate under there. I've tried pushing that tab a bunch of ways with no change in results. Any other ideas on how to prevent the ball from hanging up there? I checked the angle of the PF with an inclinometer, and it's right at 6.5.

#10233 2 years ago

1- try increasing the pitch
2- Is the game levelled?
3- is the ball getting hit by the lock/release?
If yes to both #2 & #3, try replacing the spring power at the solenoid. I replaced mine with a system 11 flipper return spring ( minus 2 coils that I cut off ). This is the same length as the original spring but reduced power. I measured the springs with a scale and the system 11 is about 10% to 15% weaker (yes I am a nerd who used to have tools to gauge spring weight)
Here are some pics with my results and a pic of the springs. On the right is the original S11 spring before I cut 2 coils off. Doing this change the pattern in which the ball gets hit by the release and it helped in reducing the randomness.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow thank you this is awesome! Will assess.

#10234 2 years ago

My ball still gets stuck fairly often in the spot where you get the extra ball, mystery, etc. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned to push up on the little tab above the gate under there. I've tried pushing that tab a bunch of ways with no change in results. Any other ideas on how to prevent the ball from hanging up there? I checked the angle of the PF with an inclinometer, and it's right at 6.5.

Not sure if this helps, but here’s a pic of my 1-way gate. The STH I played on location had the ball hang here a lot, and ball search wouldn’t shake it loose.

00366E13-F4CF-46B0-97C1-E5FC7BCB9E47 (resized).jpeg00366E13-F4CF-46B0-97C1-E5FC7BCB9E47 (resized).jpeg
#10235 2 years ago

Yeah I would make sure and pry the gate up a bunch so that it’s a bit past the ball guide on the left.

#10236 2 years ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Custom Season 3 Translite from Retro-refurbs just came! The Translite is clear and high quality and bright...sorry my pic came through a little pixely looking for some reason
[quoted image]

Awesome I just ordered one this past Saturday. How long did your shipping take?

#10237 2 years ago

I know this is not an real “issue”, but I always found the fan in the power supply mounted in the backbox super loud. Ordered the quieter fan from pinballlife (I believe is from pin monk), WOW what a difference!! Doesn’t sound like my game is trying to take off anymore! Definitely recommend.

#10238 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:Yeah I would make sure and pry the gate up a bunch so that it’s a bit past the ball guide on the left.

This is the last thing to fix on my game. I do get occasional hangs there...

Did you guys took the demo ramp off to get to the ramp or did you simply bend by pulling it up?

#10239 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I know this is not an real “issue”, but I always found the fan in the power supply mounted in the backbox super loud. Ordered the quieter fan from pinballlife (I believe is from pin monk), WOW what a difference!! Doesn’t sound like my game is trying to take off anymore! Definitely recommend.

Will do this next... I am just going to order the fans from digikey.

#10240 2 years ago

This is the last thing to fix on my game. I do get occasional hangs there...
Did you guys took the demo ramp off to get to the ramp or did you simply bend by pulling it up?

I can’t remember. Messed with mine like a year ago.

But I definitely just pulled it up. Can’t remember how I got to it.

#10241 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Agreed. I replaced my Aerosmith fan and now need to do the same with stranger things and JP.

#10242 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I like the lazy solution: I mount a 70mm fan about an inch over the existing one, and it just never comes on. I use neodymium magnets to hold it to the backbox, and I plug the 12V supply into the aux power jack.

#10243 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I can’t remember. Messed with mine like a year ago.
But I definitely just pulled it up. Can’t remember how I got to it.

Thanks those pictures help. I guess the bottom line is that you want the gate to stick out more past the ball guide?

#10244 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I like the lazy solution: I mount a 70mm fan about an inch over the existing one, and it just never comes on. I use neodymium magnets to hold it to the backbox, and I plug the 12V supply into the aux power jack.

Great idea. Have a link to the fan you used? I'll go that route.

#10245 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Great idea. Have a link to the fan you used? I'll go that route.

The 70mm Acoustifan I got for my AS is out of production, but I just ordered a pair of these (same CFM and noise level):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PNLRLU

EDIT: Actually decided to get the Noctua 60mm instead. It’s 17CFM (vs 20), but the same noise level:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NQMESS

I make it blow into the PSU, works great. I never hear the stock fan, ever.

#10246 2 years ago

Thanks those pictures help. I guess the bottom line is that you want the gate to stick out more past the ball guide?

yeah. It’s getting stuck in the transition from the gate to the ball guide. Actually I got a ball stuck there on my stream tonight a few times in two hours. Guess I need to adjust some more.

#10247 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Not discrediting your solution in any way, but the fans you linked are $40-$50. Mine was $17 dollars from PBL.
Also, I may be waaay off, but I think the stock fan and my pbl fan take the heat out of the power supply (air flows out), does your way blow the air back in? Forgive me, I don’t really know how it’s supposed to work; just asking.

#10248 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Not discrediting your solution in any way, but the fans you linked are $40-$50. Mine was $17 dollars from PBL.
Also, I may be waaay off, but I think the stock fan and my pbl fan take the heat out of the power supply (air flows out), does your way blow the air back in? Forgive me, I don’t really know how it’s supposed to work; just asking.

The Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX is just $15. [edit: blows out, not in] I’ve used it for about 3 years on Aerosmith, including 4 months on location recently.

I actually modded the heck out of my GOT, installing a hood and a larger Noctua fan. But once I learned I could just set the fan next to the PSU fan, I did that.

#10249 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX is just $15. Yes, my method does blow air into the PSU. I know it’s working because the stock fan never turns on. I’ve used it for about 3 years on Aerosmith, including 4 months on location recently.
I actually modded the heck out of my GOT, installing a hood and a larger Noctua fan. But once I realized I could blow air IN and avoid modding the stock PSU, I went that way instead. [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow. Very cool! Thanks for the info

#10250 2 years ago

Okay, please ignore my earlier post about blowing INTO the PSU. THIS is the right way to set it up, and it’s how I had AS set up until I fiddled with it tonight to take the fan off for a picture:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guardians-of-the-galaxy-owners-thread/page/40#post-4395474

Set the big fan right next to the little fan, blowing the same direction. Or if you’re feeling adventurous you can do what I did to my GOTLE:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-cooling-mod-for-kiss-wwe/page/2#post-3186111

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Trade
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 22,211 posts in this topic. You are on page 205 of 445.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/205?hl=blackzarak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.