IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,407 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 449.
#9851 2 years ago

No problem. By the way. The demo modes are some of the highest scoring modes in the game.

Just scored over 500 million in one of them, 400 million coming from 2 shots.

Also. You’re just locked out from working towards chapter modes in demodog. You can still work towards TK MB and demogorgon modes.

#9852 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also. You’re just locked out from working towards chapter modes in demodog. You can still work towards TK MB and demogorgon modes.

I mean, thematically it makes complete sense. You can’t hunt for quarters when you’re dealing with demodogs.

#9853 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, definitely. I find myself avoiding the drops just so the Demogorgon music doesn’t interrupt the theme song. That also seems like a good scoring strategy anyway, so it works out. But Demodog mode is the biggest cock-blocker: you can’t make any other progress until the mode is over.
Apologies to anyone who got this game a year ago. You’re going to have to endure all of us newbs who just got it, and are in “best game ever” mode.

this game is just late to the party, so the newbies liking it are very welcome. It will help the resale value of the game... keep the hype going

#9855 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I think you'll find out that the pin's code isn't suited for "jukebox modes". It's not as if you usually play a mode all the way thru without interruptions like other games. I find many game events will interrupt a mode song and then start another audio track. Like starting a mode, then getting into a Demogorgon or Demidog mode.
In the Cleland mix, there's a few songs for modes - Whip It during the Quarter mode; another song during Where's Barb....drain shortly after starting the mode, and that's the only bit of the song you'll hear.
Certainly try it out and I'd even be interested in trying out your version if you make it available. I find that using the High Score entry and Match scene for playing songs works nicely. My match scene with the attract videos is very fun while it plays 1min30sec+ of Twist of Fate.

If you are not completing the modes you are giving up huge bonus possibilities. It's not uncommon for me to double my score early on with bonus. 100-200 million bonuses are common for me. I always try to complete modes and collect those map pieces. Quarter hunt, combined with tk multiball and double scoring can be huge.

#9856 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

If you are not completing the modes you are giving up huge bonus possibilities. It's not uncommon for me to double my score early on with bonus. 100-200 million bonuses are common for me. I always try to complete modes and collect those map pieces. Quarter hunt, combined with tk multiball and double scoring can be huge.

Agreed. I was referencing how the audio files are played for the modes and how the songs would be cut short if you cannot keep a mode going, or another game event triggers another audio track.

#9857 2 years ago

I have not been having that problem but I focus on completing the modes. The cleland songs play pretty much all the way thru most of the time.

#9858 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Cleland was working on an all 80's mix.

True, I have been slowly working on this and hope to have something in the next couple of weeks.

Quoted from swampfire:

Ahhhh, I’m such a douchebag. I didn’t know there was a whole thread about modding the music. I’ll put my suggestions there. And can’t wait to try Cleland’s image tonight. Love the “Don’t Mess Around With Jim” choice!

Yes, please post your thoughts in my sound mod thread. The only thing is, I really only want 80's songs that were in the show at some point.

#9859 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

True, I have been slowly working on this and hope to have something in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, please post your thoughts in my sound mod thread. The only thing is, I really only want 80's songs that were in the show at some point.

Ahhh, ok I had half seriously suggested Pac-Man fever for Quarter Hunt, but I don't recall hearing that song during the show.
Thanks for your work on this.

If I play Stranger Things on location it will be a surprise because I've only had the latest Cleland code on mine. (Downloaded it and created the SD card image while my game was on its way)

#9860 2 years ago

I say this very sincerely, the very best thing about getting a new game is joining the Pinside club and finding people who love the game as much as you do. I haven’t been this excited for a pin since I started the Metallica thread in 2013 (and I still have it). Community is great.

#9861 2 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I respect that. But as someone who lived in that era, I’m probably going to pick songs that resonate with me. It’s no knock on your choices, which I think are already great.

#9862 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I say this very sincerely, the very best thing about getting a new game is joining the Pinside club and finding people who love the game as much as you do. I haven’t been this excited for a pin since I started the Metallica thread in 2013 (and I still have it). Community is great.

Agreed. This is one of the better ones too which is key with all the “caressing “ this game may need to get it playing to its full potential. It’s a really good game though and worth the work. Welcome to the club!

#9863 2 years ago

I don't want to be that guy, but I just waxed my game and holly ball-eroni batman, this thing is fast, balls flying everywhere after taking off the demo ramp...

with that said, how is everybody else's PF holding up? mine has some really nice dimples pretty much everywhere in only 500 games so I estimate by 2000 it will be covered, however the dimples by the ramp are bigger, wondering if there is a game here with more than 1000 plays to report on this...

I know I know, this is not for a dimples debate, , just curious to know because of all the flying balls these games has... earlier today I think someone posted a broken pop cover (maybe it was on Stern's FB page - can't remember -)....

just curious.

#9864 2 years ago

2100 plays on my LE and there are dimples everywhere.

#9865 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yeah, this is one of the most active club threads on Pinside (thanks Chuckwurt). Tons of great dialing-in tips and rules suggestions. It’s a testament to how far the game has come, and what good code can do.

#9866 2 years ago

3800 games played on mine and the upper half of the open play field is starting to look like orange peel, lower half near the flippers has craters everywhere. It'll be a while before that area orange peels. Ramp flaps have also taken a beating.

Love this game, seems to be smoothing out.

#9867 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

3800 games played on mine and the upper half of the open play field is starting to look like orange peel, lower half near the flippers has craters everywhere. It'll be a while before that area orange peels. Ramp flaps have also taken a beating.
Love this game, seems to be smoothing out.

ok good to know it will smooth out, I do not care really about the dimples, as long as they are uniform and even then I just dont care, lol but was wondering.

#9868 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

ok good to know it will smooth out, I do not care really about the dimples, as long as they are uniform and even then I just dont care, lol but was wondering.

How long do you plan to have the game? They won’t smooth out until like 10k plays. That’s how long it took on my GoT.

#9869 2 years ago

Instead of glow in the dark rubber try Pinballlife Stock purple perfect play...incredible.

20210402_102009 (resized).jpg20210402_102009 (resized).jpg
#9871 2 years ago

yeah, I just need to order those! purple is my favourite color because it is my daughter's favourite color, lol...
I also going to replace a couple lamp sockets... I am getting the occasional flicker on the inline lights, these are under the flipper assembly I think so I will replace them all..

Any recommendations?

#9872 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

How long do you plan to have the game? They won’t smooth out until like 10k plays. That’s how long it took on my GoT.

how long, no idea. I am enjoying it now but I - recently discover - that I enjoy diversity... I only have room for 3 games for now.

Right now I am contemplating selling AIQ to finance a GNR. Goal is to have 4 pins at home, no more no less, with 4 I will have a happy rotation and perhaps a more stable/bolted to the floor line up.

AIQ is a great game, but the code does not click with me and even though it might looks like it is deep to me it does not feel that way, the layout is different and smart but it is not a shooter I love. Sure the combos are fun but it really does not have the flow and speed I like...

So Stranger Things is my favourite game. I can tell you that I like what Brian Eddy does and I prefer this type of coding - I do not like shallow games - so Stth has a fun mix between old school 90s and modern that I like, it is not shallow and it does not require a degree in pinball science to play, plain fun.

I never played a Lyman's game so maybe I am missing out (or maybe I did play his games), I did play EHOH once, do not know if it was good or bad after one play.

I am an 80s kid so grew up in the arcades, and 90s pins era are fun for me but I get bored of them very quickly so I need a better ruleset than that without getting too complicated or I lose interest. I have zero interest in studying pinball strategy or reading a pinball manual about its rules.

soooo... what was the question again? sorry I am not getting a lot of human interaction thanks to covid and pinside is the closest I have had to socializing in months, lol.... got sidetracked.

#9873 2 years ago

Yeah I like Brian’s games too. Not too crazy, not too simple.

I was just saying don’t expect the dimples to flatten out while you own the game unless you plan to have it for longer than 10k plays.

#9874 2 years ago

yeah, I just need to order those! purple is my favourite color because it is my daughter's favourite color, lol...
I also going to replace a couple lamp sockets... I am getting the occasional flicker on the inline lights, these are under the flipper assembly I think so I will replace them all..
Any recommendations?

I've struggled with the flipper lane lights on all of my sterns. I've replaced the sockets and still flickering. I'd start by replacing the LED's with ones from Comet pinball. Since replacing with those I've not had any flicker so maybe sterns bulbs just suck.

#9875 2 years ago

Right now I am contemplating selling AIQ to finance a GNR. Goal is to have 4 pins at home, no more no less, with 4 I will have a happy rotation and perhaps a more stable/bolted to the floor line up.

You must really be new to the hobby. I started with 1....then 2...then 3. Upped it up to 6. Kids came and I downsized to 4. Now I am considering going back up to 5. I say this in jest because, you start getting crazy and thinking....you know I can put a game over there. Hey, we don't use the dining room. That is a waste, let's put a pin in there. (In reality the dining room and living room are a complete waste of rooms)

how long, no idea. I am enjoying it now but I - recently discover - that I enjoy diversity... I only have room for 3 games for now.
AIQ is a great game, but the code does not click with me and even though it might looks like it is deep to me it does not feel that way, the layout is different and smart but it is not a shooter I love. Sure the combos are fun but it really does not have the flow and speed I like...
So Stranger Things is my favourite game. I can tell you that I like what Brian Eddy does and I prefer this type of coding - I do not like shallow games - so Stth has a fun mix between old school 90s and modern that I like, it is not shallow and it does not require a degree in pinball science to play, plain fun.
I never played a Lyman's game so maybe I am missing out (or maybe I did play his games), I did play EHOH once, do not know if it was good or bad after one play.
I am an 80s kid so grew up in the arcades, and 90s pins era are fun for me but I get bored of them very quickly so I need a better ruleset than that without getting too complicated or I lose interest. I have zero interest in studying pinball strategy or reading a pinball manual about its rules.
soooo... what was the question again? sorry I am not getting a lot of human interaction thanks to covid and pinside is the closest I have had to socializing in months, lol.... got sidetracked.

Eddy and Popadiuk are my favorites. Borg and Ritchie are next. I have one must have on a game. That is a left orbit that loops around. Can't stand it when the left orbit doesn't come around to the right flipper. It is ok to have an up-post or gate that stops the ball sometimes on that orbit. I like fast moving games. This is why I don't like Lawlor pins.

It is interesting that you say that you don't like shallow games. IMO, Stranger Things is a shallow game compared to most Sterns. Which is one reason I love it. One thing I don't like about Sterns is the complexity of the rules. I loved the 90s WMS, because I always knew what I needed to do. I am a middle of the road player and with WMS games, I had a chance to beat the game.

My 2 favorite games are Medieval Madness (Strangely I don't miss it because I got a stupid amount of money when I sold mine) and Theatre of Magic.
Johnny Mnemonic was a guilty pleasure. Great game. Atrocious theme.

I have moved on to Sterns because they were more reliable. (though many of you have seen how I am unhappy with the QC issues with Stranger Things)

#9876 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

You must really be new to the hobby. I started with 1....then 2...then 3. Upped it up to 6. Kids came and I downsized to 4. Now I am considering going back up to 5. I say this in jest because, you start getting crazy and thinking....you know I can put a game over there. Hey, we don't use the dining room. That is a waste, let's put a pin in there. (In reality the dining room and living room are a complete waste of rooms)

Eddy and Popadiuk are my favorites. Borg and Ritchie are next. I have one must have on a game. That is a left orbit that loops around. Can't stand it when the left orbit doesn't come around to the right flipper. It is ok to have an up-post or gate that stops the ball sometimes on that orbit. I like fast moving games. This is why I don't like Lawlor pins.
It is interesting that you say that you don't like shallow games. IMO, Stranger Things is a shallow game compared to most Sterns. Which is one reason I love it. One thing I don't like about Sterns is the complexity of the rules. I loved the 90s WMS, because I always knew what I needed to do. I am a middle of the road player and with WMS games, I had a chance to beat the game.
My 2 favorite games are Medieval Madness (Strangely I don't miss it because I got a stupid amount of money when I sold mine) and Theatre of Magic.
I have moved on to Sterns because they were more reliable. (though many of you have seen how I am unhappy with the QC issues with Stranger Things)

#9877 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I like Brian’s games too. Not too crazy, not too simple.
I was just saying don’t expect the dimples to flatten out while you own the game unless you plan to have it for longer than 10k plays.

I gotcha, sorry for my long winded explanation as to why I might not keep it... just wanted to make conversation... haha

All that to say, Mando + Brian Eddy, if this is true... this might turn out to be an epic table. I dont think Eddy ever made a crappy table and I feel like these veterans are trying hard to stay relevant when they have younger designers pushing to be the next 'best designer' creating new and different game layouts...Keith Elwin comes to mind even though I dont think I like his games.

#9878 2 years ago

Is this the first game since Space station to have dedicated colored GI strings?

As cool as that is, the purple always being on bugged me, because it changes the art on the plastics. I thought I’d try swapping them out with white (I had some spares from changing GOTLE to warm white). Here’s the result. The game was actually too bright now, so I dialed the GI brightness back to 60%. Of course, this is going to destroy the Upside Down mode until I get my UV kit. So I may swap it back for now - easy to do if you make changes from under the playfield. Thoughts?

3558653A-72FD-4754-A5D7-70CEA1B8696D (resized).jpeg3558653A-72FD-4754-A5D7-70CEA1B8696D (resized).jpegCA1BA1A0-3433-41FC-86E6-A34D08370D87 (resized).jpegCA1BA1A0-3433-41FC-86E6-A34D08370D87 (resized).jpeg

EDIT: kept the purple LEDs everywhere except the slings and lane guides. I’m happy with the look now.

#9879 2 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

yup, it all started with getting one game for my 40th birthday and now looking at getting a 3rd one... and it's only been 3 months? mind you been obsessed over pinball for the past 6 months.

#9880 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Is this the first game since Space station to have dedicated colored GI strings?
As cool as that is, the purple always being on bugged me, because it changes the art on the plastics. I thought I’d try swapping them out with white (I had some spares from changing GOTLE to warm white). Here’s the result. The game was actually too bright now, so I dialed the GI a brightness back to 60%. Of course, this is going to destroy the Upside Down mode until I get my UV kit. So I may swap it back for now - easy to do if you make changes from under the playfield. Thoughts?
[quoted image][quoted image]

They are just colored bulbs. Stern has used these in the past a decent amount.

MET
TWD
Xmen
Avengers
Deadpool
Turtles

#9881 2 years ago

Interesting, I never noticed that. Stern did thoughtfully use violet wires for the lamp sockets that are supposed to be purple. I might keep the slings and lane guide white, and switch everything else back to purple (i.e. factory).

#9882 2 years ago

yup, it all started with getting one game for my 40th birthday and now looking at getting a 3rd one... and it's only been 3 months? mind you been obsessed over pinball for the past 6 months.

Hah! If it makes you feel any better, We had 1 (Twilight zone) for 15 years. And have added 6 more in 5 months, not counting the gnr on order.

#9883 2 years ago

Has anyone noticed sounds from other pins? The Upside Down award sounds are definitely from Iron Man, and I think I even heard some Wheel of Fortune sounds at one point.

#9884 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Has anyone noticed sounds from other pins? The Upside Down award sounds are definitely from Iron Man, and I think I even heard some Wheel of Fortune sounds at one point.

I noticed some GOTG sounds yes. Maybe some lazy Lonnie code leftovers?

#9885 2 years ago
Quoted from Midway-Man:

I noticed some GOTG sounds yes. Maybe some lazy Lonnie code leftovers?

I don’t mind reused sounds if they’re cool. But I’d definitely like to remove the WOF sounds.

#9886 2 years ago

After months of back and forth, Tilt sent me replacement ramp decals. The old ones were too small and didn’t match the rivets.

The new ones... are too big. I can always trim the decal, but good Lord.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

And a goopy mess to clean up.

#9887 2 years ago

New decal installed after I trimmed the bottom. Not perfect, but I give up.

#9888 2 years ago

so did not get a lot of responses on the shaker.... only one YAY and another NAY... so what is it?

My stranger things is all dialed in, even the saucer makes around the burn it back sometimes.. so I just want to keep making it better!

#9889 2 years ago

I dont notice it at all, maybe buy some speaker lights.

#9890 2 years ago

so did not get a lot of responses on the shaker.... only one YAY and another NAY... so what is it?
My stranger things is all dialed in, even the saucer makes around the burn it back sometimes.. so I just want to keep making it better!

Get the shaker. It is very well done.

#9891 2 years ago

Shaker on this game is just average in my opinion.

My EHOH shaker implementation is genius in comparison.

#9892 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Shaker on this game is just average in my opinion.

Yup. Add a shaker, not like it's a big expense, just don't expect to be blown away. Slightly below average in my opinion.

#9893 2 years ago

I like frequent but subtle shaker action, which is what we have here. It’s not going to rattle the glass, but it’s definitely there a lot if you set it to “Maximum”. In a world of $600 toppers, it’s kind a no-brainer $110 purchase.

#9894 2 years ago

Yep. Also I love going for the physical knockers. Hate the screech.

#9895 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. Also I love going for the physical knockers. Hate the screech.

I add the knocker to pretty much all of my Sterns. It's one of the first things I added to my SThLE

#9896 2 years ago

New owner questions (I did search the thread first for an answer): what causes the “Burn It Back” insert to come on, and what does it mean when it is lit? And, does anything special happen if you loop this shot repeatedly, or is that shot always the same (awarding 1 BIB no matter what)?

#9897 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

New owner questions (I did search the thread first for an answer): what causes the “Burn It Back” insert to come on, and what does it mean when it is lit? And, does anything special happen if you loop this shot repeatedly, or is that shot always the same (awarding 1 BIB no matter what)?

Everything you need and more is here.

http://tiltforums.com/t/stranger-things-rulesheet-wip/6093/63

One BIB no matter what. You’d get your 5 way combo done if you looped it 5 times in a row though.

#9898 2 years ago

Haha. Yes, I’ve read that rule sheet about 5 times, nice work. I still don’t know why there is an insert for BIB though.

Note to Stern: give us something cool for looping this shot repeatedly, even if it’s just a callout. Like when Steve Ritchie says “You’re on Fire!” in No Fear. Actually that callout would be perfect!

#9899 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Haha. Yes, I’ve read that rule sheet about 5 times, nice work. I still don’t know why there is an insert for BIB though.

Read it again. It explains it during the 2x scoring and spell of protection sections. There only only two things that insert could indicate.

#9900 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Read it again. It explains it during the 2x scoring and spell of protection sections. There only only two things that insert could indicate.

Ah, got it. The insert lights to indicate that an award is waiting (Light 2x scoring or Spell of Protection).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Trade
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 22,407 posts in this topic. You are on page 198 of 449.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/198?hl=purdue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.