IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8622 (resized).jpeg
FullSizeRender (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 449.
#9501 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I took some laminated paper cards I made in the past, wrapped it in some electrical tape and wedged it under elevens head at the left corner between the ramp and the backboard. Others have put shims on the other end too to push out the ramp from the back wall from underneath the magnet.

Yes. Try Pablo. The odds of him responding to you are better than others at stern. Haha. Have your serial number and address handy.
[email protected]

Mine seemed to work best under the magnet. If I recall correctly, under Eleven's face had little impact but I'm sure they all vary. That being said, lately mine seems to be less reliable, so I might experiment with putting a shim in both places. I think before when I was testing, further to the right past the magnet actually caused the ball to fly past the magnet, but I'll revisit again. My fans arrive today so I'll check those screws for tightness and add another shim while I'm in there.

#9502 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

.just get a subwoofer with a Pinnovators card and you'll be instantly upgraded.

Does this drastically change the quality of sound from just running speaker wire direct from the internal subwoofer terminals? And to confirm, is this the unit:

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stranger-things-premium/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit

#9503 3 years ago

That’s it. And no the difference isn’t earth shattering or anything.

#9504 3 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

Does this drastically change the quality of sound from just running speaker wire direct from the internal subwoofer terminals? And to confirm, is this the unit:
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stranger-things-premium/products/pinsub-spike-spike2-stern-kit

I was going to ask the same thing.

I have mine connected directly to the terminals of the subwoofer in the cabinet and it seems to work fine.

#9505 3 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

So the topper is pretty legit. So far it seems coded and interactive
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

When did you get your topper and where did you order it from? Still waiting for mine. This sucks.

#9506 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I just read this in a Pinside ad:
“At this point, this game is not on Sterns build schedule to be made again”
How likely is it that Stern won’t run more STh Premiums for the foreseeable future? I’m planning to call my distributor later today to see what’s up. I wouldn’t mind waiting 6-12 months, and it seems unlikely that Stern wouldn’t put this back on the line, given how fast the premiums were snarfed up here in the southeast.

Decided to pull the trigger on a Premium and have talked to 4 distributors - they've all said the same thing. They get build lists from Stern for the next 4-6 months and ST Premiums are no longer listed. May just have to go with a Pro at this point.......

#9507 3 years ago

I have a pro coming tomorrow. I wanted a premium and searched the internet for days. Thought I had found one but the distributor was out. I was told by 3 distributors that premiums are done. I was able to find a uv light kit, but those are hard to find also.

#9508 3 years ago

I found a NIB LE nearby, but it’s $11k. Just a bit over the “I can’t afford a divorce” price point. I could sell 2 pins to raise the cash though....

#9509 3 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

I have a pro coming tomorrow. I wanted a premium and searched the internet for days. Thought I had found one but the distributor was out. I was told by 3 distributors that premiums are done. I was able to find a uv light kit, but those are hard to find also.

You lucked out on the UV kit. I have been unable to find one for my pro. I've not been so hot on a "mod" as I am for this one.
Stern told me that more are coming.

#9510 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I found a NIB LE nearby, but it’s $11k. Just a bit over the “I can’t afford a divorce” price point. I could sell 2 pins to raise the cash though....

That’s 1k cheaper than what I would sell my LE for. Haha

#9511 3 years ago

How is the shaker coded for this game?
Worth it?

#9512 3 years ago

I have to just thank chuckwurt and all that have weighed in on how to get this game dialed in. This game is a blast. Like some others, I have never seen the show, but after playing the game I finally got all caught up, and it is funny when you are playing a mode and it is like "Ohhhh that is what Lure Dart means" haha.

I have the replacement ramp tk lock cover from Stern, but haven't installed it yet, as my bastardized orig ramp cover is working pretty good.

Last thing; favorite part of the game: Extra ball. Come on! Is it just me that a monster from the upside down getting smacked in the side of the face is funny ?!

#9513 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Last thing; favorite part of the game: Extra ball. Come on! Is it just me that a monster from the upside down getting smacked in the side of the face is funny ?!

You do realize that that is an homage to Attack from Mars right? Same designer...

#9514 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You do realize that that is an homage to Attack from Mars right? Same designer...

how exactly? never played AFM

#9515 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Lol. Of course I do. Is that a bad thing? I mean Brian Eddy was at the last LAX when I played it the last time (and saw the super secret "uv mod" too)

#9516 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

how exactly? never played AFM

It’s the same EB animation as AFM.

#9517 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

oh gotcha, I actually did play AFM but only 1 game recently, not enough to even get an extra ball...

I like the layout of AFM more than Stth to be honest, fun level about the same, the music a bit repetitive though like all 90s pins though.

#9518 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah which I think is perfect for doing so!

#9519 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Yeah which I think is perfect for doing so!

For sure. And total isolation, and 5 way combo. And the overall structure of the code is very similar to AFM.

Demodog mode is like Martian attack too.

Would’ve been cool for him to do a similar video mode to AFM too.

#9520 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For sure. And total isolation, and 5 way combo. And the overall structure of the code is very similar to AFM.
Demodog mode is like Martian attack too.
Would’ve been cool for him to do a similar video mode to AFM too.

Video mode would totally rock, but I am not disappointed with how the game is now for sure

#9521 3 years ago

the game is a fun shooter, I wish it had more callouts and was a bit more upbeat and not so tetric and maybe capture the essence of the kids a bit more.

The game is a lot of fun, I only own 2 pins and I play this one the most, the more I play it the more I like it, I like the demo modes if you complete them those are fun and have a couple levels. Have not gotten past the 3rd demo, the 2nd one is the most fun so far... I finished that it was a a blast.

I am thinking of trading my game for a dead pool though but I am on the fence now, it is jus a lot of fun... I might just need to buy dead pool instead, lol.

#9522 3 years ago

2nd one is the most fun so far... I finished that it was a a blast.

Good news. It can’t be finished. Haha. Just keep collecting those juicy Super Jackpots over and over.

The 4th and 5th demo modes are awesome too.

I am thinking of trading my game for a dead pool though

Just buy a Deadpool instead. 3 is better than two.

#9523 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good news. It can’t be finished. Haha. Just keep collecting those juicy Super Jackpots over and over.
The 4th and 5th demo modes are awesome too.

Just buy a Deadpool instead. 3 is better than two.

you are not the guy to talk to if someone is trying to save money.. I see.. haha

Just kidding, actually I am on the fence on DP just pending on whatever the new title is, if it is BTTF then no DP, if it is Mando... well, I would have to see how designs it and who codes it...

Do you have a DP? I am debating between Pro or Pre, I like the orbit on the PRE. Orbits are my favourite thing on any pinball machine.

That is one thing that bother me in Stth, the right orbit is clunky sometimes.

#9524 3 years ago

Right orbit on this game is underwhelming, but worth it to allow for that sweet left orbit. And the burn it back is really the right orbit if you think about it.

Deadpool premium all the way, but the pro is very good too. I do not own it, but have played it regularly ever since it was released.

#9525 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Right orbit on this game is underwhelming, but worth it to allow for that sweet left orbit. And the burn it back is really the right orbit if you think about it.
Deadpool premium all the way, but the pro is very good too. I do not own it, but have played it regularly ever since it was released.

yeah, the burn it back is nice when it does not clunk, and the right orbit --If we can call it that-- it is underwhelming to say the least, it is a shot that I have to take actually, not very smooth, small reward and high risk when the ball comes back.

Have you guys replaced the fans on the power unit on these? I am tempted to make it silent following Pink Monk's tutorial but I was wondering as everything seems to overheat on this game, if this is a good idea...

There must be something wrong with the code on this game, because I cannot understand why the fans come on so often...

#9526 3 years ago

yeah, the burn it back is nice when it does not clunk, and the right orbit --If we can call it that-- it is underwhelming to say the least, it is a shot that I have to take actually, not very smooth, small reward and high risk when the ball comes back.

The burn it back should be butter smooth 100% of the time. The feeds from the right orbit should be safe to the flipper 100% of the time. Probably need to make some adjustments.

The fan on the game does its job. People only replace it to make it quieter.

#9527 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The burn it back should be butter smooth 100% of the time. The feeds from the right orbit should be safe to the flipper 100% of the time. Probably need to make some adjustments.
The fan on the game does its job. People only replace it to make it quieter.

yes was wondering if anybody here changed the fan to make it quieter? did you?

burnt it back orbit can be smooth, but not 100% -- in my game of course -- ... so I guess that the time it is not smooth it is because of a bad shot?

I wish it was smoother for any shot though, if I can achieve that then this and TK that works 100% with even not so great shots (I am losing a ton of balls and points due to rejects) then this game is possible a keeper and will stay bolted to the floor.

I am not sure what to adjust for and bending the ball guides the wrong way even a little could result in a less smoother shot, so I am on the fence about making adjustment unless someone with the experience can guide me.

#9528 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:you are not the guy to talk to if someone is trying to save money.. I see.. haha
Just kidding, actually I am on the fence on DP just pending on whatever the new title is, if it is BTTF then no DP, if it is Mando... well, I would have to see how designs it and who codes it...
Do you have a DP? I am debating between Pro or Pre, I like the orbit on the PRE. Orbits are my favourite thing on any pinball machine.
That is one thing that bother me in Stth, the right orbit is clunky sometimes.

I traded my beloved DP LE away only for a grail pin a couple weeks ago and I miss it bad as I had it for years. That game is super fun and the premium/LE upgrade is a no brainier. The left orbit on DP prem and STh are super similar in feel, fantastic! The right orbit on DP is not too far off from STh either unfortunately. Kinda clunky. Sword ramp skill shot is one of the best ever, especially combo-ed. That being said I had these two side by side and they were perfect going between them shot-wise and theme-wise. They’re both keepers and two of Stern’s recent best, and I feel two of their best period. There is no wrong choice between these two games, however, there is a right choice in choosing both.

#9529 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I traded my beloved DP LE away only for a grail pin a couple weeks ago and I miss it bad as I had it for years. That game is super fun and the premium/LE upgrade is a no brainier. The left orbit on DP prem and STh are super similar in feel, fantastic! The right orbit on DP is not too far off from STh either unfortunately. Kinda clunky. Sword ramp skill shot is one of the best ever, especially combo-ed. That being said I had these two side by side and they were perfect going between them shot-wise and theme-wise. They’re both keepers and two of Stern’s recent best, and I feel two of their best period. There is no wrong choice between these two games, however, there is a right choice in choosing both.

thanks for that upbeat post!

I just need to make the 'burn it back' orbit 100% because it drives me absolute insane when it rattles.
HELP

#9530 3 years ago

yes was wondering if anybody here changed the fan to make it quieter? did you?

Nope. I don’t care that games in my game room make noise. Haha.

If you hit the burn it back does it loop around smooth so that you can repeat the loop with the left flipper? If not, the ball guide on the left side by the spinner needs adjusted, or the target at the start of the left orbit needs to be moved out of the way.

But if you miss a shot, you miss a shot. Haha

#9531 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. I don’t care that games in my game room make noise. Haha.
If you hit the burn it back does it loop around smooth so that you can repeat the loop with the left flipper? If not, the ball guide on the left side by the spinner needs adjusted, or the target at the start of the left orbit needs to be moved out of the way.
But if you miss a shot, you miss a shot. Haha

yes I can repeat the shot, I sometimes flip it through 2-3 times in a row and it is a nice shot to get going, but it sometimes can also rattle as it exits the right orbit entering the left side it can rattle on the left side, so I am not sure if it could use a bit of an adjustment or this is normal.

#9532 3 years ago

Does anyone have a slo-mo of the correct left saucer eject? I am trying to dial it in by adjusting the scoop but I am struggling. I wanted to see where it is supposed to hit on the lane guide to the right of the drops.

Thanks.

#9533 3 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

Does anyone have a slo-mo of the correct left saucer eject? I am trying to dial it in by adjusting the scoop but I am struggling. I wanted to see where it is supposed to hit on the lane guide to the right of the drops.
Thanks.

It’s supposed to hit the right side of the drops. Some of use have adjusted it to shoot around the burn it back. Not easy to do and keep it doing it, but fun if you can.

#9534 3 years ago

Booooooooo

520E2AE0-5AAF-4214-9A36-DA581C5CC760 (resized).jpeg520E2AE0-5AAF-4214-9A36-DA581C5CC760 (resized).jpeg
#9535 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s supposed to hit the right side of the drops. Some of use have adjusted it to shoot around the burn it back. Not easy to do and keep it doing it, but fun if you can.

Thanks Chuck. You know, you guys are killing me. I thought my game was dialed in pretty well until I saw that the saucer can loop through the burn it back and now I MUST have that. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

My only other issue is that the left orbit eject sometimes grazes the middle of the left sling causing it to trigger. I need to push the lane guide out to the right. Previously that eject would often go SDTM so I pulled the lane guide as far left as it could go. Now I have to get back to it and ease it out to the right a hair.

#9536 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Booooooooo[quoted image]

That gets us an extra year where this theme is still current. My only concern with this theme was longevity. Will anyone care about this show in a few years?

#9537 3 years ago
Quoted from dinot:

That gets us an extra year where this theme is still current. My only concern with this theme was longevity. Will anyone care about this show in a few years?

Does it matter?

#9538 3 years ago

Not for me. For my tastes this is the best Stern pin. Really harkens back to the 90s WMS games which was my favorite era.

#9539 3 years ago

Have you guys replaced the fans on the power unit on these? I am tempted to make it silent following Pink Monk's tutorial but I was wondering as everything seems to overheat on this game, if this is a good idea...
There must be something wrong with the code on this game, because I cannot understand why the fans come on so often...

Code has nothing to do with it. It’s a self-contained power supply. The fan comes on when it needs to. If have the quiet fan for mine I just haven’t done it yet. I’ve installed the quiet fan in my JP and the difference is staggering. Well worth it in a quiet basement!!

I will install mine soon. If I can stop playing the game haha.

#9540 3 years ago

What volume do you guys have it on to still hear the fan? I have 3 Spike games on next to each other and dont hear fans.

#9541 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockbiter:

I just received a shipping notification from my distributor for the topper. Hopefully everyone who preordered one will see theirs arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Congratulations, where did you buy ?

#9542 3 years ago

It’s during attract mode that people complain.

#9543 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s during attract mode that people complain.

Yeah during play who cares. It's when it's just sitting there and you hear that fan whining.. My next loudest is WOZ but it has a computer PS so that fan is always on.

#9544 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Code has nothing to do with it. It’s a self-contained power supply. The fan comes on when it needs to. If have the quiet fan for mine I just haven’t done it yet. I’ve installed the quiet fan in my JP and the difference is staggering. Well worth it in a quiet basement!!
I will install mine soon. If I can stop playing the game haha.

Of course the power supply has nothing to do with code, however, the power supply gets power drawn from it as requested by the CPU? sorry I did not explain myself properly.

wrote a long response but changed my mind.

I did notice that the flipper strength is dictated by code, so I am wondering if this could be the case also - and other power management setting - that can affect the power unit to maybe come on more often, because it is drawing more power more often.

#9545 3 years ago

When I upgraded the flipper coils for my LOTR, I bought a few of these heat sinks - they work well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081636Z2H

This isn’t the exact one I bought, so check your coil width. You can stretch them a bit, but not much.

#9546 3 years ago

So that is my theory on how the code affects the power unit, which does not respond to the actual code, it would just come on when the inner temperature reaches a specific threshold. How quickly it gets there is dependant of the power being drawn, which, is dictated by the code.
Not a huge deal BUT if this is game that tends to minimize power efficiency, replacing the fan might not be a good idea?
Just a thought.

STh would have a higher power draw just with the projector. Not only are you running the projector but the MPU board is running 2 displays - probably more power consumption too from the CPU. The attract mode (number of lit inserts) also has an impact.

The quiet fan runs longer than the stock fan. If it was running continuously then I would be concerned. Pretty sure those power supplies aren't Stern designed. They are most likely just off-the-shelf, cheap, and meets their need.

In any case many folks(including myself) have changed fans without problems. In fact, I haven't seen 1 post about how a PS failed after switching fans. The PS most likely has thermal protection anyway for certification - meaning they will shut down instead of burning out.

You do what you are comfortable with!

#9547 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

STh would have a higher power draw just with the projector. Not only are you running the projector but the MPU board is running 2 displays - probably more power consumption too from the CPU. The attract mode (number of lit inserts) also has an impact.
The quiet fan runs longer than the stock fan. If it was running continuously then I would be concerned. Pretty sure those power supplies aren't Stern designed. They are most likely just off-the-shelf, cheap, and meets their need.
In any case many folks(including myself) have changed fans without problems. In fact, I haven't seen 1 post about how a PS failed after switching fans. The PS most likely has thermal protection anyway for certification - meaning they will shut down instead of burning out.
You do what you are comfortable with!

I like the idea of keeping them quiet, I am not overly concerned about the power unit burning out... I was just nerding it out and thinking out loud as to why the flippers tend to overheat, perhaps all things are related... specially when compared to other games, even when set at max power...they never get as hot as Stth.
Just thinking out loud here.

#9548 3 years ago

I like the idea of keeping them quiet, I am not overly concerned about the power unit burning out... I was just nerding it out and thinking out loud as to why the flippers tend to overheat, perhaps all things are related... specially when compared to other games, even when set at max power...they never get as hot as Stth.
Just thinking out loud here.

Ball/game time also has an impact. On JP when I get a good game going (30-40 mins) the Trex shot becomes nearly impossible to make like STh. The flippers do weaken as well - which is why I bought 2 cooling kits - just haven't installed in JP yet.

LOTR was notorious for fading flippers - mostly due to super long game times (over an hour if you are having a good one).

This is made worse when you have a game that has a shot/shots that require full flipper strength.

#9549 3 years ago

Today I modded Stranger Things like I've been doing to all Stern pins I've had recently.

I replace the tutorial and "quarter dropping" videos with theme-relevant content. I've never watched the show, but I know it doesn't include season 3 content. Some videos are from season 3, to add more variety.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LJjUr5gZfBgz66fS8

Stranger Things plays the videos in a different order than Iron Maiden and Jurassic. Those two games alternate between those videos and do not play them right after another like STh does.

JP Pro attract videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BFGrXKgbptgKsJ3f7

Iron Maiden Pro attract videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2RsaF8Cc5xXYUXdG9

#9550 3 years ago

Those are cool. They filmed the mall scenes 5 miles from my house, good use of a sad dead mall.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Trade
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 22,409 posts in this topic. You are on page 191 of 449.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/191?hl=palacekeeper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.