20240328_091907 (resized).jpg
20240328_091912 (resized).jpg
20240326_130903 (resized).jpg
20240327_085933 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240327_090153_Gallery (resized).jpg
20240326_234550 (resized).jpg
20240326_234700 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,212 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 445.
#7001 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I followed everything laid out in the email and pdf and I’m still 1 for 50 getting the ball to stick to the wall.

There’s lots more to it. Go here and read past the pdf.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

#7002 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is most likely your issue. The most important thing is getting the diverter distance right. Then pushing the ramp away from the backboard is second most important. All the steps in the guide need to be done.
No problem at all. More than happy to help because I know how much more fun the game is when everything works!
Another thing that’s not in the guide:
I took a small piece of thin plastic (laminated paper) and wrapped it in electrical tape and wedged it in between the left corner of the ramp (right below eleven’s head) and the backboard. This helped hold the ramp away from the backboard.

I will loosen it up and try this. I’m really missing out. I have been playing all day and I don’t have the fans so maybe that’s it. Feels like I don’t have enough juice to get it to go.

#7003 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

I will loosen it up and try this. I’m really missing out. I have been playing all day and I don’t have the fans so maybe that’s it. Feels like I don’t have enough juice to get it to go.

If all you need are the fans then your lock will be flawless for the first 30 mins or so, then it will start falling short.

#7004 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If all you need are the fans then your lock will be flawless for the first 30 mins or so, then it will start falling short.

Agree with this. On a cold machine (first game of the new day), you should have normal performance of the flippers for the first 40 minutes or so. In the testing I did for the fan kits, Stranger Things heated up the fastest and crossed the threshold to obviously faded after about 40 minutes of straight play. If you can make the shot on a cold machine, but CAN'T make the same shot after 40 minutes of play, it's likely fade.

Also, check your flippers to make sure they aren't binding on the bushing. If you pull up on them, there should be about 1/8" of vertical play. If there's not, you need to loosen the linkage and add about a credit card's thickness of vertical play, then tighten again.

And also check your coil stops. Stern has a real problem with these breaking quickly. The center stop comes loose from the plate it's mounted to. Brass shavings in the bottom of the cabinet under the flippers are a common symptom.

#7005 3 years ago

My flippers seam fine. I will definitely get some fans and see how that goes.

Does anyone know how to lower the ramp door an extra ¼” so there is no gap after you put some spacers in to raise it up?

#7006 3 years ago

Adjust the switch that registers the ramp as being down so that it registers a tad later.

#7007 3 years ago

My 2 cents---mine works just about every time. Moving the ramp closer for me did nothing although it does help for some. The metal ball guide on top of the plastic--bend that up some--that made a difference on mine. The diverter when closed at the end with the ball must barely touch it. I mean barely--play around with that. I have my flippers at max strength. I know many don't but I love the speed of the game at it's max. Get the flipper cooling fans--must have. You just have to play around with it and it's frustrating but it can be done. Have to try everything.

#7008 3 years ago

You can also contact stern and they can send you an updated left ramp cover that is adjustable. Moving that back and forth definitely changes the balls path too.

Get with your distro and [email protected] as well as [email protected]

#7009 3 years ago

You guys been messing with Final showdown? Does it auto launch every player on your games? I thought maybe I had a stuck switch but nothing shows up in test and the problem doesn't replicate in normal game mode. Not too big a deal for p1 but bad for the next players who aren't ready right after the bonus count.

My wife and I have been having a blast with this mode. It's a really fun way to change it up.

#7010 3 years ago

Sounds like a bug to me. Report to stern.

#7011 3 years ago

Can you / anyone confirm though is why I'm asking

#7012 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is most likely your issue. The most important thing is getting the diverter distance right. Then pushing the ramp away from the backboard is second most important. All the steps in the guide need to be done.
No problem at all. More than happy to help because I know how much more fun the game is when everything works!
Another thing that’s not in the guide:
I took a small piece of thin plastic (laminated paper) and wrapped it in electrical tape and wedged it in between the left corner of the ramp (right below eleven’s head) and the backboard. This helped hold the ramp away from the backboard.

Okay I've redone all the steps, including moving the left ramp forward as much as possible. It didn't move much, though. I did also leave out the screw that you mentioned also. The measurements of the diverter are right on the money.

One thing I did notice is that the ramp was definitely not out in front of the back wall covering the magnet. In fact it was slightly recessed. Now, it's moved forward more, but I'm not sure if enough. If not, I'll try shimming something back there like you mentioned. Thanks!

#7013 3 years ago

Next don’t worry about the measurements as much. If it’s rejecting, adjust the arm so it’s a mm or two more away from the back wall. If balls are passing through, adjust the arm a mm or two closer to the back wall.

#7014 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Next don’t worry about the measurements as much. If it’s rejecting, adjust the arm so it’s a mm or two more away from the back wall. If balls are passing through, adjust the arm a mm or two closer to the back wall.

OK, making progress. Got 2 balls in a row to lock. That's a first. I wrapped some washers in black tape and tucked two of them behind the ramp. Now it is slightly in front of the back wall. More testing....

#7015 3 years ago

Awesome. Sounds like you’re getting close. When you get it all the way, they should be no doubters from a trap when the game is cold. Ball should fling up there easily.

#7016 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Awesome. Sounds like you’re getting close. When you get it all the way, they should be no doubters from a trap when the game is cold. Ball should fling up there easily.

Man I can't get a break. Two in a row worked then none after that. About half the time they are rejected and the other half they slump over the diverter and get stopped by the white rod that pops up. Hard to tell whether too close or too far from the wall. SO frustrating! The bolts are very tight so I don't think anything is moving from where I adjusted it.

#7017 3 years ago

Yep very frustrating. Took me like 20 passes at the adjustments before I actually got it.

Leave the adjustments where they are. Come back later tonight when the game is cold and try again.

#7018 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep very frustrating. Took me like 20 passes at the adjustments before I actually got it.
Leave the adjustments where they are. Come back later tonight when the game is cold and try again.

Ok will do. I might need to get some locktite also, because when I just checked it the gap was too narrow. I'll take a break and come back to it later. Thanks for the help and moral support

#7019 3 years ago

This is a safe place. Haha. Keep at it. You’ll get it.

#7020 3 years ago

chuck, i know i could search, but what is your playfield angle? somehow when i was adjusting my TK lock, i must have done something. My eject on the mystery use to eject and go smoothly down the rail and then to the left flipper 90% of the time,. . . now it ejects and bounces of the rail and is very inconstant with where it ends up. about 40% are STDM. I know that the rod coming up hits the ball when its ejected, but i dont see any adjustment for that, and it seems to hit the ball on the way back up and causes it to bounce around. i am wondering if adjusting to more angle would help.

thanks

#7021 3 years ago

Drop the left side of the game down a bit or raise the right side. Ball need to fall faster to the orbit so the post doesn’t hit it.

#7022 3 years ago

I don’t know what my playfield angle is. The pitch has the bubble right in the middle of the black lines though.

#7023 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Drop the left side of the game down a bit or raise the right side. Ball need to fall faster to the orbit so the post doesn’t hit it.

thats what i was thinking, but side to side its completely level.

#7024 3 years ago

Kinda glad I went with the pro. Hopefully you get yours dialed in. The family just loves the game. Waiting to play a Led Zeppelin before I decide to buy one or not.

8B8497B2-46B3-4083-8BFF-145C2B4306C9 (resized).jpeg8B8497B2-46B3-4083-8BFF-145C2B4306C9 (resized).jpeg
#7025 3 years ago
Quoted from brerspidur:

thats what i was thinking, but side to side its completely level.

Yep. You’ll need to make it not level to have it play right. .

#7026 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. You’ll need to make it not level to have it play right. .

Adjusted pitch from 6.1 to 6.6 and it fixed it. Still level side to side

#7028 3 years ago

TK lock is a challenge to get it spot on but once it’s dialed in nothing compares. So cool! Labor of love!

#7029 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay. The only one I noticed doing that was the right ramp. Everything else seemed to line up right. Maybe the new code cleans that up.

Did you ever get the right ramp projection fixed? If so how do you adjust it?

#7030 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Did you ever get the right ramp projection fixed? If so how do you adjust it?

Yeah they fixed it with code. It only projects on the right half of the right ramp. Go into diagnostics and select the projector test. Make sure the interlock switch is pulled out. It will bring up the projector images and you can move them all around to your liking.

#7031 3 years ago

Anybody use cliffy's 4-drop protector? Any ball hang up issues?

And can anybody confirm / deny that the first ball launches automatically in final showdown game mode? Thanks

#7032 3 years ago

First ball auto launches for me for all people. It's part of the start of the mode.

#7033 3 years ago

Makes sense that it does that since it’s how the mode starts in the game, but would be nice to let the player control the plunge in case they aren’t right at the game.

#7034 3 years ago

Yeah sub optimal in a multi-player game

#7035 3 years ago

Got my Xmas lights installed today.

20201228_171130 (resized).jpg20201228_171130 (resized).jpg
#7036 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Okay, I came back to this today when the machine was totally cold. I also ordered a very accurate small stainless ruler which arrived today, so I'm ready .

In testing on the cold machine today, it did lock the ball twice but the other 90% of the time the ball didn't make it onto the wall. The only good thing is that it seems to fail consistently in the same way at this point. Each time, the ball seems to sloppily go over the diverter and continue along the ramp, and then is stopped by the (still a mystery) white rod. It almost seems like it gets a little hung up at the base of the diverter, but it always makes it past it, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

Would that mean it's too far from the wall and needs to be a mm or two closer?

#7037 3 years ago
Quoted from palacekeeper:

Okay, I came back to this today when the machine was totally cold. I also ordered a very accurate small stainless ruler which arrived today, so I'm ready .
In testing on the cold machine today, it did lock the ball twice but the other 90% of the time the ball didn't make it onto the wall. The only good thing is that it seems to fail consistently in the same way at this point. Each time, the ball seems to sloppily go over the diverter and continue along the ramp, and then is stopped by the (still a mystery) white rod. It almost seems like it gets a little hung up at the base of the diverter, but it always makes it past it, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

I'd set up a phone camera in slo-mo video mode so you can analyze what's happening in slo mo where it's easier to nail down the problems.

#7038 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'd set up a phone camera in slo-mo video mode so you can analyze what's happening in slo mo where it's easier to nail down the problems.

Yesterday I thought about using one of my Arlo cameras to film it, but the phone with slo-mo is even better. Thanks vireland!

#7039 3 years ago

Yesterday I thought about using one of my Arlo cameras to film it, but the phone with slo-mo is even better. Thanks vireland!

Literally one of the best diagnostic tools - and it's in most phones now!

#7040 3 years ago

It almost seems like it gets a little hung up at the base of the diverter, but it always makes it past it, so I'm not sure what to make of that.

It sounds to me like the ball is struggling to get up the arm. The base of the diverter is a pinch point which is why you are pulling the ramp out, at least that's how I interpreted it. I have mine pulled out enough that I could stick a 1" rubber behind the left side of the ramp. So technically, you are only trying to pull out the left side of the ramp so that the ramp is closer to the base of the diverter arm, the right side of the ramp can remain flush. I think the ball needs to have more of the rod underneath the ball than on the side of it to create less of a pinch and produce less resistance as it ascends. Also note that you are limited to the amount you can move the ramp forward because when the diverter arm activates, the arm will run into the edge of the hole it is sticking through. The arm should barely touch the edge of that hole without impeding it's movement. Also make sure that the ball still rolls past the arm when not activated.

One more thing to note is the offset between the back of the ramp and the back plastic on the wall, now that the ramp is pulled out. Set the ball at the base of the diverter arm, activate the arm at the coil and use a screwdriver to roll the ball up the arm slowly to see how much the ball is affected by the offset. You want the ramp to be slightly more out in front of the back plastic so that the ball doesn't get hung up in that gap. If the ramp is to far out in front I think this can be problematic as well because you don't want the ball banging around as it moves over the offset. You can reduce the offset by removing the bottom left screw in the back plastic and sticking washers behind the plastic to move just the left side out.

Lastly, and you may already be doing this, I would definitely test the mech by pulling your playfield out to the rubber feet and rolling the ball up the ramp with the coil engaged by holding it in with your hand. You'll have to roll the ball with a little speed, but if your diverter arm is off, then you won't be able to make it up to the magnet. Once dialed in, the ball will make it all the way, nice and clean. Not only does it help to be standing right over the top of the mech while you're watching balls fly up, but I also think this "breaks in" your adjustments, so I would roll it up the arm 15-20 times before shooting it with the flippers.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is one the coolest shots in pinball and totally worth the effort. Hope this helps, don't give up!

IMG_20201227_091957~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_091957~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_092051~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_092051~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_225720~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_225720~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_225914 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_225914 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_225922 (resized).jpgIMG_20201228_225922 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_142549~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_142549~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_091935~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20201227_091935~2 (resized).jpg
#7041 3 years ago

I spent ages trying to get the TK mech working (had every measurement for the mech from the backboard perfect) and gave up for a little while. Finally I realised that the diverter arm was at too steep an angle so I pushed it down by hand to the specs in sterns document and viola, fixed all my problems, every shot sticks. Just wanted to mention this as it seems that people spend a lot of time moving the mech back and fourth but don't mention the angle of the arm. If you continue to have problems, check this.

#7042 3 years ago

So it’s going all the way off the end of the diverter and not being caught by the magnet? Yeah, move it a hair closer to the backboard.

But try and get a video so we can see how it’s missing.

#7043 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So it’s going all the way off the end of the diverter and not being caught by the magnet? Yeah, move it a hair closer to the backboard.
But try and get a video so we can see how it’s missing.

Okay I have a .mov video from my phone in slow motion, but it won't let me attach it. Is there a way to attach a video directly or is my only option to embed with youtube or vimeo?

#7044 3 years ago

Okay I have a .mov video from my phone in slow motion, but it won't let me attach it. Is there a way to attach a video directly or is my only option to embed with youtube or vimeo?

Have to paste a YT link here.

#7045 3 years ago
Quoted from Eagle14:

I spent ages trying to get the TK mech working (had every measurement for the mech from the backboard perfect) and gave up for a little while. Finally I realised that the diverter arm was at too steep an angle so I pushed it down by hand to the specs in sterns document and viola, fixed all my problems, every shot sticks. Just wanted to mention this as it seems that people spend a lot of time moving the mech back and fourth but don't mention the angle of the arm. If you continue to have problems, check this.

Great call. I pushed mine down too. Less than 2” from the floor seems to be the sweet spot. Stern calls for 2”, but I’ve found it’s better lower than that.

#7046 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Great call. I pushed mine down too. Less than 2” from the floor seems to be the sweet spot. Stern calls for 2”, but I’ve found it’s better lower than that.

Okay, here's the video link:

I got several clips but they are all pretty much exactly the same behavior...

P.S. these rulers are awesome - machined precisely, strong, no leading edge - super helpful with measuring things like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VWKZLSH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00

#7047 3 years ago

Okay, here's the video link:
I got several clips but they are all pretty much exactly the same behavior...

The ball is stopping short. The clearance looks okay, so definitely try pushing down the diverter arm to closer than 2” from the ramp floor. Also make sure (finger engage plunger and run the ball up the diverter arm with the other hand) that the ball is on the rod and also grazing the back wall when it reaches the top.

Make sure the ball is not touching the the metal plate that is welded to the outside of the rod too. Should have a mm of clearance if the ball is riding the back wall while going up the rod.

You’re really close it looks like.

#7048 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The ball is stopping short. The clearance looks okay, so definitely try pushing down the diverter arm to closer than 2” from the ramp floor. Also make sure (finger engage plunger and run the ball up the diverter arm with the other hand) that the ball is on the rod and also grazing the back wall when it reaches the top.
Make sure the ball is not touching the the metal plate that is welded to the outside of the rod too. Should have a mm of clearance if the ball is riding the back wall while going up the rod.
You’re really close it looks like.

Okay thanks, I'll move the diverter lower and try that. I'll only make one adjustment at a time to make it easier to narrow down. I'll have to see if I can get another angle also - where I can see how close it is to the plate and to the wall as it goes up.

#7049 3 years ago

Okay thanks, I'll move the diverter lower and try that. I'll only make one adjustment at a time to make it easier to narrow down. I'll have to see if I can get another angle also - where I can see how close it is to the plate and to the wall as it goes up.

here’s a pic I took. See if yours looks like this. You can see, mine is not touching that plate, but is very close. C82A5638-A909-4FBE-888A-9DB1F48993B1 (resized).jpegC82A5638-A909-4FBE-888A-9DB1F48993B1 (resized).jpeg

#7050 3 years ago

Hey everyone. I just rated the LE since the code is pretty complete now. If anyone else is waiting go put up a rating!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 22,212 posts in this topic. You are on page 141 of 445.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/141 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.