New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 258046)

Stranger Things Club. Join our Party!

By chuckwurt

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 6,086 posts
  • 351 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 113 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game are you getting?”

• Pro 77 votes
    33%
  • Premium 66 votes
    28%
  • LE 90 votes
    39%

(233 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 841 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20201025_223607173 (resized).jpg
115986C6-3198-4D14-9EA3-39DB27288903 (resized).jpeg
872961D0-1607-49AB-85C1-3FE474FFFE86 (resized).jpeg
122600529_649104649309808_1357077403654082437_n (resized).jpg
122433174_975439609627689_330453307929676520_n (resized).jpg
20201024_152014 (resized).jpg
20201024_152054 (resized).jpg
20201024_151634 (resized).jpg
20201024_151945 (resized).jpg
20201024_151629 (resized).jpg
20201022_154749 (resized).jpg
20201022_154801 (resized).jpg
20201022_154809 (resized).jpg
A818CE01-1A88-44AF-9A01-F8B398CE2C9F (resized).jpeg
F2A72D70-9005-47B1-A4A9-9372FC508F18 (resized).jpeg
3C79C534-B4A7-4FC1-8792-7896E9A59307 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

8 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6086 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 122.
#5251 60 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hell yeah! Total isolation 2 is great as well.
I’d ask around to other distros. Maybe one has them in stock.

Right on. I’ll be working on that milestone tonight.CT said they’ll give me my money back so maybe I’ll see if I can find it elsewhere. If anybody has seen them instock somewhere hit me up. Thanks!

#5252 60 days ago

Little shop of games had shooter rods couple weeks ago may have more. I got one and was told they are done making them. Give em a call good people.

#5253 60 days ago
Quoted from Englishbaz09:

Little shop of games had shooter rods couple weeks ago may have more. I got one and was told they are done making them. Give em a call good people.

I checked with them but they were out. These guys had some instock. I called and confirmed. Thanks for the heads up though. Strange they told you that they’re not making them anymore. You can place orders still on various sites.
https://www.gameroom-goodies.com/stranger-things-light-up-shooter-rod-stern-pinball/

#5254 60 days ago

The shooter rod is one of the coolest ever!!

It’s adds another super feature to this great game

#5255 60 days ago

Does anyone know how long Stern typically keeps a game on the line (outside of Vaults) before retiring it? 3-4 years? If that’s the case, how long does STh have left?

I finally played a pro for the first time the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It confirmed my desire to add a premium to my lineup one day. I feel like Stern ends the production of premiums well before pros so I don’t want to miss out, as used premiums for any Stern title seem to come up for sale less often than pros and LE’s for some reason.

#5256 60 days ago

I’d ask a distro but it depends. If a game isn’t selling well I bet they stop sooner. Maybe a year or 2? This game definitely isn’t selling well so I wouldn’t wait years. It will be a year this Christmas time.

#5257 60 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d ask a distro but it depends. If a game isn’t selling well I bet they stop sooner. Maybe a year or 2? This game definitely isn’t selling well so I wouldn’t wait years. It will be a year this Christmas time.

Thank you Chuck, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was planning on making this next summers purchase. Sounds like I have a little time. I’ll ask my distributor as well and get his take.

#5258 57 days ago

Came across this today. 8”•11” sample sizes will be perfect for the projector ramp screen. Can’t go wrong for $9.95 shipped.
https://store.gooscreen.com/Sticky-Screen-Sample-Pack_p_47.html

#5259 57 days ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Came across this today. 8”•11” sample sizes will be perfect for the projector ramp screen. Can’t go wrong for $9.95 shipped.
https://store.gooscreen.com/Sticky-Screen-Sample-Pack_p_47.html

Those are for rear projection, though. Could that be a problem?

#5260 57 days ago
Quoted from evileye:

Does anyone know how long Stern typically keeps a game on the line (outside of Vaults) before retiring it? 3-4 years? If that’s the case, how long does STh have left?
I finally played a pro for the first time the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It confirmed my desire to add a premium to my lineup one day. I feel like Stern ends the production of premiums well before pros so I don’t want to miss out, as used premiums for any Stern title seem to come up for sale less often than pros and LE’s for some reason.

Gary said at an expo a few years ago that most license deals are for three years but many of them are extendable.

#5261 57 days ago
Quoted from evileye:

Thank you Chuck, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was planning on making this next summers purchase. Sounds like I have a little time. I’ll ask my distributor as well and get his take.

you will be able to get one for sure.

#5262 57 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Those are for rear projection, though. Could that be a problem?

A fellow Pinsider used it on his so I’m assuming it works. Before and after pics looked great.

#5263 57 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Gary said at an expo a few years ago that most license deals are for three years but many of them are extendable.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

you will be able to get one for sure.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you!

I played this game again a couple days ago and there was a constant line to get to it. Only pin I had to wait for. Other pins were getting played but not at the frequency of STh. Other pins were Munsters, Ghostbusters, Spider-Man, Aerosmith (not working), Star Wars (Stern), KISS, Simpson’s Pinball Party, Theater of Magic, Medieval Madness, Monster Bash, Monopoly, Pirates of the Caribbean (Stern), Family Guy.

Could just be the fact that it was the newest game there and played like a new game, but I really enjoyed my time with it again. Can’t wait to add it to the lineup.

#5264 57 days ago

Demo is all fixed and accepting balls regularly!
NOW my projector has stopped working! Only show a "static" image at all times. Checked USB and HDMI cables and both in place. Have to try a new HDMI extension cable to make sure it's not the projector. Anyone else had this?

D27DEDF9-1D46-475B-BE93-6B488C30FC33 (resized).jpeg
#5265 57 days ago

Crazy. Never seen that.

#5266 56 days ago

Coil cooling kit update - I have all the manufactured parts and illustrated instructions ready to go, but the foam insert that holds everything in place during shipping had to be sent back because it was cut wrong. So probably looking at another 7-10 days before the foam is fixed and I receive it to start shipping the Spike2 coil cooling kits. Sorry!
bad-foam-sample (resized).png

#5267 56 days ago

No worries man. Thanks so much for doing such a thorough job on this.

#5268 56 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Coil cooling kit update - I have all the manufactured parts and illustrated instructions ready to go, but the foam insert that holds everything in place during shipping had to be sent back because it was cut wrong. So probably looking at another 7-10 days before the foam is fixed and I receive it to start shipping the Spike2 coil cooling kits. Sorry!
[quoted image]

can we preorder anywhere?

#5269 56 days ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

can we preorder anywhere?

No, sorry. The upside is the additional time has allowed me to continue building stock of the brackets, which are the printed part and the slow bit. Everything else is manufactured already.

Once all the cut foam is on the way and I know it's only a few days out before shipping, I'll put it in the store here and at pinmonk.com.

#5270 56 days ago

Oh, man...at this point, I just wish you'd wrap it in Saran Wrap and throw it in an old shoe box. Every time the ball doesn't get up that diverter I pray for the day these things ship. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.

#5271 56 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, man...at this point, I just wish you'd wrap it in Saran Wrap and throw it in an old shoe box. Every time the ball doesn't get up that diverter I pray for the day these things ship. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.

Will it help if I tell you that the wait will be worth it?

#5272 56 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Will it help if I tell you that the wait will be worth it?

No. Just makes the wait more unbearable.

#5273 56 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

[quoted image]

I’ve been following this and am wondering if this is needed on the pro model as I dont have the diverter on the left ramp?

#5274 56 days ago
Quoted from Kharris:

I’ve been following this and am wondering if this is needed on the pro model as I dont have the diverter on the left ramp?

Yes. It makes the flippers perform correctly the full length of playtime, as long as you want to play, instead of heating up (quickly on STh) and causing bricked, low power, or missed shots. I used a pro for development of the coil cooling kit. It was an obvious improvement I could feel, especially on long games.

#5275 56 days ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Improved my accuracy on the demo too. I would start games nailing it then would lose the shot later in the game. Not no mo.

#5276 56 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Improved my accuracy on the demo too. I would start games nailing it then would lose the shot later in the game. Not no mo.

Making a bullet point list of benefits now...

#5277 56 days ago

Backhand right ramp is another.

#5278 56 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Backhand right ramp is another.

I backhand the left ramp all the time but I’ve never tried the right ramp didn’t know it was possible.

#5279 56 days ago

It is with the fans. Haha. You have to be perfect, but I do it all the time.

#5280 56 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

[quoted image]

What is the pricepoint on these? I’m def interested.

#5281 56 days ago
Quoted from Flash71:

What is the pricepoint on these? I’m def interested.

Should be like $89 for a two flipper kit with all the hardware and connectors. There will be 3 and 4 flipper kits, but honestly, I don't know how necessary cooling would be on 3rd and 4th flippers, but I'll know more once I put some probes on them and test the real-time temps. Only done 2 flippers on TMNT so far.

#5282 56 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Should be like $89 for a two flipper kit with all the hardware and connectors. There will be 3 and 4 flipper kits, but honestly, I don't know how necessary cooling would be on 3rd and 4th flippers, but I'll know more once I put some probes on them and test the real-time temps. Only done 2 flippers on TMNT so far.

Cool! I’ll def be in for a set to put into my ST Premium.

#5283 56 days ago
Quoted from Flash71:

Cool! I’ll def be in for a set to put into my ST Premium.

Cool being the optimum word here! I'll be in for a set too!

#5284 56 days ago

I’m in too, take my money!

#5285 55 days ago

Where do the fans get power from? I have several mods and what to make sure I have a spot to plug them in.

#5286 55 days ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Where do the fans get power from? I have several mods and what to make sure I have a spot to plug them in.

Ticket dispenser connector. I was pretty sure no one (or almost no one) was using that and it supplies more than an amp of power, which is way more than even 4 of these fans pull (in a 4 flipper setup). I put a rectifier diode and a 1a fuse on the line though, just in case, to protect the node board. It's a clean install.

#5287 54 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Ticket dispenser connector. I was pretty sure no one (or almost no one) was using that and it supplies more than an amp of power, which is way more than even 4 of these fans pull (in a 4 flipper setup). I put a rectifier diode and a 1a fuse on the line though, just in case, to protect the node board. It's a clean install.

Any idea if this ticket dispenser connector gets put on games destined for Europe by the way?

#5288 54 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Can you show me a pic of it connected please I think I’m already using that.

#5289 54 days ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Any idea if this ticket dispenser connector gets put on games destined for Europe by the way?

It's a standard header block on their coin door interface board, so I'm sure it's there. Just no one uses a ticket dispenser for home use.

This is the illustration from stern's spike2 manuals. CN11 is the connector in the upper left.

panell0 (resized).jpg
#5290 54 days ago

What's the car that Jonathan drives? That would make a good addition as a mod I think, reminds me of the Dudes car in The Big Lebowski... I'd certainly prefer that to Billy's Camaro myself...

#5291 54 days ago

Hey chuckwurt, my buddy has a Premium that I'm trying to help him with regarding his TK lock.

I read all the info about dialing in the TK lock, got all the adjustments and measurements perfect but it seems even worse now.

In the pic below there is about .5 mm of play between that black alllen head bolt (circled in yellow) and the sliding piece below it. Is that normal, or should I tighten that up? It's not mentioned in the Stern PDF. It's a pain to get to without removing the whole ramp so I'll have to get some stubby allens I think.

Inked437f18140648ea8214d699ff493cb3207cd1971e_LI (resized).jpg

Thanks for looking. I've enjoyed reading through this thread btw, lots of great info.

#5292 54 days ago

Does the diverter pivot smoothly when you manually engage the plunger for the diverter that is behind the backboard? I’d say you don’t need to adjust that Allen screw as long as the mech pivots freely. I added a tiny drop of zoom Spout oil to my pivot point under the ramp after cleaning it up as the rubber pad underneath was gunking it up and it was sluggish. Haven’t had an issue since.

You say the mech performs worse now. In what way? Is the ball getting pinched and coming back down the entrance of the ramp? Or is it making it up the diverter but not far enough for the magnet to catch it?

The adjustment that will affect the performance the most drastically is the movement of the diverter mech bracket from behind the backboard.

#5293 54 days ago

Found out Jonathan's car is a 1970s Ford LTD... With bonus rust for added appeal... beautiful car!

#5294 53 days ago
Quoted from PocketHoleshot:

Hey chuckwurt, my buddy has a Premium that I'm trying to help him with regarding his TK lock.
I read all the info about dialing in the TK lock, got all the adjustments and measurements perfect but it seems even worse now.
In the pic below there is about .5 mm of play between that black alllen head bolt (circled in yellow) and the sliding piece below it. Is that normal, or should I tighten that up? It's not mentioned in the Stern PDF. It's a pain to get to without removing the whole ramp so I'll have to get some stubby allens I think.
[quoted image]
Thanks for looking. I've enjoyed reading through this thread btw, lots of great info.

The linkage has a lot of slop in it. Some of us have put a rubber band around the joint behind the back board so it pulls it up and gets rid of some of this slop. I think this helps, but also documented elsewhere a number of changes need to be made to get this temperamental mech to work reliably.

#5295 53 days ago

Didn't someone mention that Stern is still working on a better more permanent fix for the TK lock?

#5296 53 days ago
Quoted from waltgman:

Didn't someone mention that Stern is still working on a better more permanent fix for the TK lock?

This is the best we got. Confirmed with stern that this is the best way to approach it. They mentioned to me about an adjustable left ramp cover, but that’s it outside of these tweaks. If you want that cover, I would talk to stern/your distro to see if they will send you one. Not sure if they are finalized yet. I was supposed to get one to try out, but really don’t need it. I don’t want to mess with my game now that it’s finally dialed in. Haha

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/35#post-5472488

#5297 53 days ago
Quoted from waltgman:

There's always the option of disabling the TK lock and relying on virtual locks of course... Anyone know if doing this will still allow 2x and 3x super JP?

#5298 53 days ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

There's always the option of disabling the TK lock and relying on virtual locks of course... Anyone know if doing this will still allow 2x and 3x super JP?

Only 2x

#5299 53 days ago

I thought as much... has anyone experimented with seeing if they can get the TK lock magnet to grab the balls out of the 'normal' ramp when the additional ramp is disabled? I'm thinking like how the ToM trunk magnet pulls balls in the air... I guess this magnet isn't that strong to reduce the effect of permanently magnetising balls that stay there for a while!

#5300 53 days ago

The magnet isn’t powered and I bet if you tried to do that, the game would know it’s disabled, see the ball there, and release it immediately.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 7.95
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
5,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Coaldale, PA
There are 6086 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 122.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside