BBAFA2A8-D339-4F9C-8874-20D81E2FF74B (resized).jpeg
F526F268-B580-4D92-903B-09D52C56BFEA (resized).jpeg
theme_bg_music (resized).png
rock_bg_music (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
91EBC2BA-BB46-49A8-AA3E-4C7CD50FAA6F (resized).jpeg
7F87BF3E-8504-4640-934F-74D3961CD11E (resized).png
ST (resized).png
There are 993 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.
#1 4 years ago

Greetings Fellow Pinsiders,

At this time the code for Stranger Things is at .86 and very young with lots of room to grow.
However, I have started what I think are some good changes to an already amazing sound track.

As the code grows, I will continue to evolve along with it. For now, here is what I have done as some slight changes to the music and call outs.

MUSIC:

Main Theme - C418 Remix of the Stranger Things Theme

Find Barb - Waiting For A Girl Like You (that was the song when Steve and Nancy were getting it on while Barb was dying in the pool)

Morse Code - “Kids - Roscoe Rowe” from one of the soundtrack albums (Credit to @mzhulk for mentioning that track, might move to another slot later)

Operation Mirkwood - Romantics, Talking in your Sleep
(I like the vibe for this mode, I know it doesn’t make too much sense as this was playing when Steve and Nancy were talking about Steve's paper in the car)

Quarter Hunt - Devo, Whip It (Perfect fit for the music playing when they were gathering quarters to goto to arcade)

Save Will - New Order's "Elagia" which played during Will's funeral scene

End Game Music - (Tame Impala like remix of the main theme with some kid quotes mixed in from the first episode)
NOTE: Contains Expletives So Might Not Be For All Home Environments. Dustin says "We're In Deep Shit" and Lucas says "Don't Be Such A Pussy"
If this is a problem for some I might tweak or offer an alternative similar to what I did for TWD.

High Score Music - Don’t Mess Around With Jim

Sound Bytes:

Ball Saved! = Mistakes Have Been Made

Here you can have that one back = We’re Not Stupid

Ohhhh Kayy… = Why Don’t You Go Ahead And Go Home

Lets Try That Again = You Killed Barbara

Easy There Buddy (Tilt Warning) = (Steve) Wait What Is Going On

Don’t Go Anywhere = Just Hold On A Little Longer OK

More to come.....

To implement this mod you will need to download the .img file for your game model below.
Then, use a program such as Etcher to "flash the .img" file to a fresh SD card.
https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Replace the SD card in your game with your newly flashed card and power on.

More updates to come, enjoy Stranger Things Pinball!

CLELAND PRO SOUND MOD LINK
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu4pxd63g17ls7u/Stranger%20Things%20086%20Pro_Cleland.img?dl=1

CLELAND LE/PREMIUM SOUND MOD LINK
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kc8lu2ng7l4nu59/Stranger%20Things%20086%20LE_Cleland.img?dl=1

#2 4 years ago

Are there any videos on how to do this?? I am very computer illiterate

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for this buddy!!!

#5 4 years ago

Epic!!!!!

#6 4 years ago

SD card or USB stick?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

SD card or USB stick?

SD card. The links are for a full image download. I recommend using a separate SD card, but if you want to pull the one out of your game and flash it, that's fine too. Be aware you will need to download a new stock image from Sterns website and will reset all of your scores and settings if you want to go back.
Best thing is a separate SD card so you have a stock one, and a modified one.

#8 4 years ago

Does the sd card size matter? Found a 64 gig on amazon

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Does the sd card size matter? Found a 64 gig on amazon

Up to 64 is OK, but you only need an 8 Gig one. Those are small and not usually at retail, but I buy them in the 4 pack to play around with different things I'm working on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CB9EWGK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

Added over 4 years ago:

EDIT: Stern recommends a class 10 SD card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1862ZC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Are there any videos on how to do this?? I am very computer illiterate

It's a pretty simple process:
Get an SD Card that you can plug into a computer
Download Etcher for PC/Mac (free program)
Download my .img file for either Pro or LE/Premium
Launch the Etcher Application and Select the .img file you downloaded from me. Then Select the SD card as the destination, and click Flash.

IMG_9398 (resized).jpegIMG_9398 (resized).jpeg
#11 4 years ago

We are so very appreciative of your work on these games Cleland. Please remind us all what your PayPal email handle is for donations. Anyone downloading I’m sure wouldn’t mind throwing a ‘thank you’ your way.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

It's a pretty simple process:
Get an SD Card that you can plug into a computer
Download Etcher for PC/Mac (free program)
Download my .img file for either Pro or LE/Premium
Launch the Etcher Application and Select the .img file you downloaded from me. Then Select the SD card as the destination, and click Flash.[quoted image]

Thank you
Also does the sd card have to be class 10?

#13 4 years ago

i dont have a STh but tanx anyway

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Thank you
Also does the sd card have to be class 10?

Yes, and here's a link to Stern's information on SD cards which can be helpful. Everything applies, except you use my image instead.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/How-to-Create-a-SD-Card-for-a-SPIKE-System-Pinball-Machine.pdf

Quoted from ZMeny:

We are so very appreciative of your work on these games Cleland. Please remind us all what your PayPal email handle is for donations. Anyone downloading I’m sure wouldn’t mind throwing a ‘thank you’ your way.

Thanks Zach, and thank you for all you do for pinball!
While I'm not looking for "thank you's"...especially during these troubling times, I am out of work for the next month at least.
So those that would like to "thank me" and enjoy the update for their game, you can reach me at:
[email protected]

#15 4 years ago

This is awesome! Thank you I can't wait to try it out.

Anyone else notice amazon is not shipping memory cards? Guaranteed delivery in a month on all the ones I could find

#16 4 years ago

The end game music is perfect
Thanks so much for this soundtrack cleland

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

This is awesome! Thank you I can't wait to try it out.
Anyone else notice amazon is not shipping memory cards? Guaranteed delivery in a month on all the ones I could find

I bought a 16g class 10 sad card at Walmart for 6 bucks. It was a ghost town in there!

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

The end game music is perfect
Thanks so much for this soundtrack cleland

Thank you for posting that! Very happy with that mix I did, feels so right to me after playing a game.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

I bought a 16g class 10 sad card at Walmart for 6 bucks. It was a ghost town in there!

Took one out of my wifes camera She'll never notice it lol. Enjoying this very much!

#20 4 years ago

Any way this can be a file to put on usb update like the normal stern update files? Don’t have an sd card reader

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Any way this can be a file to put on usb update like the normal stern update files? Don’t have an sd card reader

I bought this.

SmartQ C307 USB 3.0 Portable Card Reader for SD, SDHC, SDXC, MicroSD, MicroSDHC, MicroSDXC, with Advanced All-in-One Design https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYXR7DL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ne6DEbWS6JP5J

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Took one out of my wifes camera She'll never notice it lol. Enjoying this very much!

I've done this before too. Please tell me you downloaded the photos off it first

Quoted from Coz:

Sorry, but the SD route is the best way to do this, as it contains all the code and not just updated changes. Plus, it allows you to keep your stock SD card safely as a backup. Maybe a friend or neighbor might have an SD card reader?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I bought this.
SmartQ C307 USB 3.0 Portable Card Reader for SD, SDHC, SDXC, MicroSD, MicroSDHC, MicroSDXC, with Advanced All-in-One Design amazon.com link »

Quoted from cleland:

Sorry, but the SD route is the best way to do this, as it contains all the code and not just updated changes. Plus, it allows you to keep your stock SD card safely as a backup. Maybe a friend or neighbor might have and SD card reader?

Thanks. I’ll check that out.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I've done this before too. Please tell me you downloaded the photos off it first

I backed up the photos. They were from 2015 and she never took them off lol.

Really enjoying this and can't wait to see what more can be done as the code for ST matures. So many great 80's songs in the soundtrack.

#25 4 years ago

THANK YOU! I installed the file this morning and WOW!!! I love it and only got two games in so far before work. (cant wait for lunch now). This game was in desperate need of some music and better overall sound and you delivered so thank you again very very much and I look forward to more.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 4 years ago

I streamed the new code for a couple hours yesterday and thought it was a big improvement, and one I didn't even know was needed until I experienced it. The new end game music was awesome, and the way I was playing I heard it a lot. Only thing I liked better in the original was the Save Will music which seemed a bit mellow for a hurry up mode.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I streamed the new code for a couple hours yesterday and thought it was a big improvement, and one I didn't even know was needed until I experienced it. The new end game music was awesome, and the way I was playing I heard it a lot. Only thing I liked better in the original was the Save Will music which seemed a bit mellow for a hurry up mode.

Maybe the Clash for this mode Since it is Will related unless he has plans for that song elsewhere it was very important song through season 1.

#28 4 years ago

Definitely do not make all the modes licensed songs that played in the show. Less is more there imo.

The instrumental tracks they put into this game stock are one of the best aspects of this game.

Save will is a good point. That should be instrumental for sure with maybe some added call outs as you make the shots.

Hoping to get this loaded in my game this week. I’ll report back with my thoughts.

Thanks again Cleland!!

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Definitely do not make all the modes licensed songs that played in the show. Less is more there imo.
The instrumental tracks they put into this game stock are one of the best aspects of this game.
Save will is a good point. That should be instrumental for sure with maybe some added call outs as you make the shots.
Hoping to get this loaded in my game this week. I’ll report back with my thoughts.
Thanks again Cleland!!

Maybe you are right for that mode, but I think there are some awesome 80s songs that should be in the game somewhere...Should i Stay or should i go now is one of them. Again that is my opinion and still really like this update.

#30 4 years ago

You’re absolutely right. Just don’t force it. Does should I stay or should I go play during any of the show modes in the game? If so, I’m all for it.

Some of the music in this game is incredible especially with a powered sub hooked up. I hope most of it stays with clelands updates.

#31 4 years ago

I tried many options and less is more in this case I think. The music I chose makes sense and feels right for the modes to me.
Example: "Find Will" (Elegia-New Order) was the song playing at his funeral and I think it adds a nice vibe for that mode.

At one point I had like eight 80's songs in there and it was a mess The only place I can wiggle in two more short options would be the end of game score summary. It's only like 10 seconds, but I could do something there. There's one loop for a non match result and another when you do match.
I could do "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" and then maybe "Twist of Fate" when you match. Might try that on my own game to see how it sounds.

Also, I think I found a music track that plays after the wizard mode (which is not even implemented yet). Might be cool to put The Never Ending Story there.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I tried many options and less is more in this case I think. The music I chose makes sense and feels right for the modes to me.
Example: "Find Will" (Elegiac-New Order) was the song playing at his funeral and I think it adds a nice vibe for that mode.
At one point I had like eight 80's songs in there and it was a mess The only place I can wiggle in two more short options would be the end of game score summary. It's only like 10 seconds, but I could do something there. There's one loop for a non match result and another when you do match.
I could do "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" and then maybe "Twist of Fate" when you match. Might try that on my own game to see how it sounds.
Also, I think I found a music track that plays after the wizard mode (which is not even implemented yet). Might be cool to put The Never Ending Story there.

You Rock Sir! what is your PayPal info I would be glad to donate to the cause.

#33 4 years ago

very cool Cleland !! nice job !

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from KTruax:

You Rock Sir! what is your PayPal info I would be glad to donate to the cause.</blockquote

[email protected]

#35 4 years ago

So ive never installed a cleland Code.

I saw your what to do but then how do i get it on the game.

Just pull the factory SD card and install new cleland SD card? Then i go back and forth whenever i want?>

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

So ive never installed a cleland Code.
I saw your what to do but then how do i get it on the game.
Just pull the factory SD card and install new cleland SD card? Then i go back and forth whenever i want?>

That's it. Get yourself another SD card to flash the image to, and then swap the SD card with the one in the backbox of your game(with the power off).
If you don't like it, you can pop the stock SD one back in.

#37 4 years ago

How about “somebody’s watching me” by rockwell? For one of the modes

#38 4 years ago

I backed up my settings to a usb drive before installing the new sd card and then restored settings on the new sd card and scores/settings/everything are back. That was nice

#39 4 years ago

Is it wrong that I hit the start button and let the music play for a couple minutes before I plunge the ball

#40 4 years ago

Thank you again for all the work. Installed this morning and a wonderful improvement.

#41 4 years ago

Dude, you're the king.

Thanks!

#42 4 years ago

I also love Bon Jovi's "Runaway".

What I absolutely hate is the current "What mama says" mode soundtrack. This is so damn in your face and annoying because of the buildup.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

This is so damn in your face and annoying because of the buildup.

Sounds like it’s working.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Sounds like it’s working.

Sorry, I meant the stock version of the what mama says sounds/callouts. Afaik Cleland did not alter that.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Sorry, I meant the stock version of the what mama says sounds/callouts. Afaik Cleland did not alter that.

No shit and should stay. He meant the stock sounds are doing their job. Putting you on edge. Please don’t touch this mode Cleland. Haha

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

No shit and should stay. He meant the stock sounds are doing their job. Putting you on edge. Please don’t touch this mode Cleland. Haha

100% this.

#47 4 years ago

Thank you so much. I can't wait to try.

#48 4 years ago

would love to see a video of this in action. OP is SUPER talented. Loved that video embedded showing the game over song.

#49 4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys, this one is gonna be a balancing wire for sure. I too at first cringed at the "What Momma Says" mode music...like nails on a chalkboard and I'm high on LSD, but I think that's what's good about it too.

I did put Bon Jovi's "She's A Little Runaway" for that mode on my on game to test.
I keep going back and forth on stock and that tune. I also tried this "Ray of Light" edit, but it's not emotional enough to me for that mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71e2n4yuai5m4y6/Ray%20of%20Light-What%20Mamma%20Says%20Idea.mp3?dl=0

#50 4 years ago

Now I want this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
There are 993 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-cleland-sound-mod?hl=yfichelle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.