BBAFA2A8-D339-4F9C-8874-20D81E2FF74B (resized).jpeg
F526F268-B580-4D92-903B-09D52C56BFEA (resized).jpeg
theme_bg_music (resized).png
rock_bg_music (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG
91EBC2BA-BB46-49A8-AA3E-4C7CD50FAA6F (resized).jpeg
7F87BF3E-8504-4640-934F-74D3961CD11E (resized).png
ST (resized).png
There are 993 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.
#751 1 year ago

From what I can gather in this thread, I believe I have a handle on this, but doing due diligence.

Using Cleland Code. It's awesome.
Ordered Insider Connected. I have two options.

1) Use the Current Cleland Code with Insider Connected.

2) Make an SD card with the most current Stern Code and swap them out if I want the most current features. (Home team, I think?)

If updating the official code SD card through the internet connected machine, is there any chance any other software/firmware could get changed that would prevent the Cleland Code from working?

#752 1 year ago
Quoted from icyjones:

From what I can gather in this thread, I believe I have a handle on this, but doing due diligence.
Using Cleland Code. It's awesome.
Ordered Insider Connected. I have two options.
1) Use the Current Cleland Code with Insider Connected.
2) Make an SD card with the most current Stern Code and swap them out if I want the most current features. (Home team, I think?)
If updating the official code SD card through the internet connected machine, is there any chance any other software/firmware could get changed that would prevent the Cleland Code from working?

I believe that is false.

When you update your code version you do it via USB. Current code is 1.07. Clelands code works with version 1.05.

You cannot update past 1.05. Also if you don’t have 1.05 and you have an earlier version, I don’t think you can choose 1.05, you have to go to 1.07. Sterns site only shows most recent code. Well it did for JP anyways.

With 1.05 or your current code on the pin, you can swap out (via SD cards) Clelands code and stock Code.

One other thing, when you get IC there’s an option for auto updates. Make sure that is off or you will get updated to 1.07 and Clelands code won’t work.

I haven’t looked but I’m pretty sure it’s very hard to go back to older code versions. Maybe even impossible without replacing the cpu.

His code, transforms this game to a very special place.

#753 1 year ago

I guess that is what I don't know. I am newer to the hobby, and this is my first Stern. Although I am pretty versed in other tech/hacking/modding.

My impression is that the code is running off the SD card. The one in the machine now is the 1.05 Cleland Code. I know you can update machines with USB, but I thought you could also just make a new SD on a computer, with the newest code.

I get that auto updating with the Cleland SD card wouldn't be smart, but is there something else on the machine that would get updated, other than the SD card?

#754 1 year ago

Yes.

The entire cpu gets updated and the node boards.

You can’t have version 1.07 on a card and 1.05 cleland on another. Doesn’t work like that.

Think of code as a software update on a computer. That’s essentially what you’re doing. Clelands sound mod doesn’t work with the latest update.

Perhaps there’s a YouTube video on updating a stern with insider connected. It might help my explanation. I’m sure the do a better job explaining it.

#755 1 year ago

Ok, that clears it up actually. But my understanding is that IC works on the current Cleland 1.05. I would just want to turn off the auto updating, and never manually update that way.

#756 1 year ago
Quoted from icyjones:

Ok, that clears it up actually. But my understanding is that IC works on the current Cleland 1.05. I would just want to turn off the auto updating, and never manually update that way.

That is correct. I just bough IC for mine and will be installing it very carefully when she gets back from the powdercoaters.

#757 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

Yes.
The entire cpu gets updated and the node boards.
You can’t have version 1.07 on a card and 1.05 cleland on another. Doesn’t work like that.
Think of code as a software update on a computer. That’s essentially what you’re doing. Clelands sound mod doesn’t work with the latest update.
Perhaps there’s a YouTube video on updating a stern with insider connected. It might help my explanation. I’m sure the do a better job explaining it.

You can have different software versions on different sd cards and swap them out at will while the machine is powered down. On boot up, the machine will downgrade itself and the node boards no problem. I do this all the time when testing things.

There is only one machine I know of where you have to be careful and that is guardians. Only on newer built machines (since July 2021) they changed the node boards and those can't go back past a certain version due to the init code for the new chip not being in the older firmware.

Quoted from icyjones:

The auto update is not on by default. I'm using IC with 1.05 no issues.

#758 1 year ago

I'm about to get my Stranger Things and not sure what code is currently in it. Can I add the Cleland Code or no?

#759 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I'm about to get my Stranger Things and not sure what code is currently in it. Can I add the Cleland Code or no?

Everything you need to know is here. Maybe start reading here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-cleland-sound-mod/page/16#post-7221124

1 week later
#760 1 year ago

So my game is running 0.88 currently and I'd like to bring it up to 1.05 for the Cleland code. Do any of you fine people have a copy of this on your hard drives you'd be willing to let me have a copy of? Thanks in advance

#761 1 year ago
Quoted from sublime90803:

So my game is running 0.88 currently and I'd like to bring it up to 1.05 for the Cleland code. Do any of you fine people have a copy of this on your hard drives you'd be willing to let me have a copy of? Thanks in advance

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-cleland-sound-mod/page/3#post-5741395

#762 1 year ago

...and fear not, he responded fairly quickly (at least as of a few weeks ago).

#763 1 year ago

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

3 weeks later
#764 1 year ago

I'm running 1.06 and can't seem to find 1.05 anywhere. As a previous poster asked, does anyone have a way to go back to 1.05, so that I can install Cleland's mod?

#765 1 year ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

The auto update is not on by default. I'm using IC with 1.05 no issues.

OH holy shit really? I thought ANY software mods were mutually exclusive with IC. I know that's the case for TMNT 1987 Code. I'll have to set up IC on my Stranger Things now. Appreciate you confirming they work together

#766 1 year ago
Quoted from idiopathy:

I'm running 1.06 and can't seem to find 1.05 anywhere. As a previous poster asked, does anyone have a way to go back to 1.05, so that I can install Cleland's mod?

Put it on a card and give it a go. It worked with my JP. I would put an old movie file in and it would revert back to an older code. You won’t be able to find 1.05 but I think it might work.

1 week later
#767 1 year ago

I still have the 1.05 files that I did my work on that I can share with anyone need them.

2 weeks later
#768 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I still have the 1.05 files that I did my work on that I can share with anyone need them.

Yes please!

#769 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I have never updated my game...this seems to be my best option!! Let me know if you have them for the Premium. Thanks!

#770 1 year ago

I’m trying to add my machine to my gameroom in insider connect or at least show up as one of my machines. I have the 1.05 code and the previous owner said he had deregistered the machine from his account. I don’t see an option to add machine to my account. Not sure if there is a bug on the 1.05 or I’m doing something wrong. Anyone able to add machine to their profile? I connect fine to Wi-Fi.

592B9433-A4FF-40A2-8C4E-03C37E78FC17 (resized).jpeg592B9433-A4FF-40A2-8C4E-03C37E78FC17 (resized).jpeg
#771 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

I’m trying to add my machine to my gameroom in insider connect or at least show up as one of my machines. I have the 1.05 code and the previous owner said he had deregistered the machine from his account. I don’t see an option to add machine to my account. Not sure if there is a bug on the 1.05 or I’m doing something wrong. Anyone able to add machine to their profile? I connect fine to Wi-Fi.
[quoted image]

Looks like it is still registered. Can you scan in when you play a game. That would confirm it. Same thing happened to me and I had to ask the seller to delete it from his account.

#772 1 year ago
Quoted from waldo34:

Looks like it is still registered. Can you scan in when you play a game. That would confirm it. Same thing happened to me and I had to ask the seller to delete it from his account.

Even if the game was still registered to the prior owner, you can delete that registration. You will need the latest code to do that since the option was not available in earlier codes. If you have the latest code on another SD card, boot up with that card and then go to the Insider Connection settings and there will be an option to clear a current registration.

#773 1 year ago

Is Metallic in the game
Or attract mode?

#774 1 year ago

I was able to register the machine with 1.07. I just popped the 1.05 sd card back and it’s all good. Thanks all

#775 1 year ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Is Metallica in the game
Or attract mode?

Yes, music is in a mode and Eddie playing guitar is in attract mode video version.

1 week later
#776 1 year ago

cleland

oga83 has released Pinball Browser version that supports latest code, so... This means it should be possible to have Home Team AND your music modifications. Are you considering it ?

Cheers

#777 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

cleland
oga83 has released Pinball Browser version that supports latest code, so... This means it should be possible to have Home Team AND your music modifications. Are you considering it ?
Cheers

Yes, working on porting everything over now. Hopefully, I'll be done over the weekend.

#778 1 year ago

sounds like it’s time to buy you another beer!

Quoted from cleland:

Yes, working on porting everything over now. Hopefully, I'll be done over the weekend.

#779 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

And I'll be ready to buy you some Lunch!

#780 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

AND MY AXE!

1 week later
#781 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Awesome to hear! Any update on if you were able to get it working cleland?

#782 1 year ago

Fantastic Job, mod is running fine. thank you.

#783 1 year ago

@cleland: Any news about the Update?

#784 1 year ago

I don't have the 1.05 code, so i am stuck until the update it seems. I wish stern would let you have access to old code.

#785 1 year ago

@cleland, on several other games running the latest Stern code, I've found numerous sound clips that are just static. Just this morning was checking out adding my attract mode scenes to the latest Jurassic Park code. There were many audio clips under 6 second long that only play static. I was searching for a certain clip to change. Decided to first burn the image to a card and play test and listen for static clips.

This happens with Led Zeppelin also. I'll be checking Munsters later today too.

It's because Pinball Browser does not know what codec those clips are using.

I'm assuming it's the same with Stranger Things too? I guess I can load it later and check it out.

I think that's why I couldn't find that specific clip, must've been one of the static ones.

#786 1 year ago

Folllowing…would love to see an updated version allowing home team and clelands edits!

Thanks for the great work!

1 week later
#787 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

cleland - any updates?

#788 1 year ago

Yup, we are at another pause until Pinball Browser can correctly decode the codecs for each sound file for the disk image.
Stern likes to use this multiple audio codecw to change up the encoding and provide static for some samples messing it up.

#789 1 year ago

Thank you for taking a shot at it!

Quoted from cleland:

Yup, we are at another pause until Pinball Browser can correctly decode the codecs for each sound file for the disk image.
Stern likes to use this multiple audio codecw to change up the encoding and provide static for some samples messing it up.

#790 1 year ago
Quoted from cleland:

Yup, we are at another pause until Pinball Browser can correctly decode the codecs for each sound file .....

I appreciate and support your continued personal effort. Apparently the Pinball Browser Cat and Mouse game marches on. <sigh>

2 weeks later
#791 1 year ago

Hi Cleland,
i think the bond pinball need better sound…..

#792 1 year ago
Quoted from Svente69:

Hi Cleland,
i think the bond pinball need better sound…..

Yes, soon as possible. Goldfinger, Thunderball and Diamonds are Forever would be awesome

#793 1 year ago

Gotta feel sorry for the sound designers at Stern, who have their hard work replaced. I'd take that very personally myself.

As I've stated before, all Stern have to do is create an option in the menu for the player to use 'Original Game Music' or 'Custom Music' - which can be loaded from a USB stick. Video Gamers mostly have Spotify playing custom tracks during their games. Why can't pinball offer the same functionality?

As good as Cleland is at reorchestration... you're own custom music would be so much better.

1 week later
#794 1 year ago

Man I wish I would have known about this sooner. Updated a pro that was NIB to 1.07. Fingers crossed that the sound mod catches up one day!

3 weeks later
#795 1 year ago

Following post. I don't have 1.05 and eagerly awaiting an update that is compatible with 1.07. cleland your mod completely transforms the game.

#796 1 year ago
Quoted from evlcrdshrk:

Following post. I don't have 1.05 and eagerly awaiting an update that is compatible with 1.07. cleland your mod completely transforms the game.

I have a stranger pro and i'll love to try this sound mode ! I Hope it will be available with latest 1.07 code!

2 weeks later
#797 11 months ago

So I currently have code 1.03 downloaded onto my game. Will Cleland 1.05 work will my current version? Or does anyone have 1.05 stern code saved anywhere?

#798 11 months ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

So I currently have code 1.03 downloaded onto my game. Will Cleland 1.05 work will my current version? Or does anyone have 1.05 stern code saved anywhere?

It'll work just fine. Use a new SD card. Burn the Cleland image on it. If you want to keep your high scores, take a USB memory stick and go into utility and save the settings on your 1.03 code. Power off, insert new Cleland SD card and boot up. Exit out of the setup wizard. Go into utilities and load your settings from that USB stick.

Also, this is how I perform all of my code "updates". I don't run the risk of an update going south and taking my high scores and settings with it.

#799 11 months ago
Quoted from dinot:

It'll work just fine. Use a new SD card. Burn the Cleland image on it. If you want to keep your high scores, take a USB memory stick and go into utility and save the settings on your 1.03 code. Power off, insert new Cleland SD card and boot up. Exit out of the setup wizard. Go into utilities and load your settings from that USB stick.

Awesome thank you.

#800 11 months ago
Quoted from Meadows22:

Awesome thank you.

You got it. This code is so good, I won't even think of going back to Stern's code.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 993 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-cleland-sound-mod/page/16?hl=jonnyqtrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.