3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Simpsons-ThatsaPaddlin_zps0ffeb18d (resized).jpg
Stranger Slings (resized).jpg
image (resized).png
image (resized).png
image (resized).jpeg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Anyone else watch this show on Netflix? If so, thoughts?

I personally really enjoyed it and thought it struck a good balance of capitalizing on nostalgia while, you know, also not sucking like most remakes/reboots tend to.

Anyone think that it would make a good pinball? I guess at first it seems like it might be a hard sell but I could see some great potential with the awesome soundtrack and playfield ideas (i.e. an "upside down" lower playfield, telekinetic-girl magnet tricks, etc.).

Also, considering nostalgia seems to be a primary driver of modern pinball themes, this has some potential as a real crossover title as it's technically newer IP but has the style, and thus theoretically some of the built in safety, of the older, proven IP that people seem to love (Goonies, Close Encounters, Stephen King, etc).

#2 3 years ago

I really enjoyed it as well. The thought of it making a pinball theme had not crossed my mind until you mentioned it, but I could definitely see it. The music in the show would also fit well. I'm in! Let's make it happen.

#3 3 years ago

Everything ever made on planet earth would make a great pinball theme.

Let's make this shit happen, people!

#4 3 years ago

Stranger Things as an 80's sitcom ...

#5 3 years ago

I loved the show but it's such an amalgamation of 80s movies I don't think it would work as a pin. There's nothing distinctive for a pin to latch onto.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

ยป YouTube video

Thanks a whole bunch for that. So hilarious.

#7 3 years ago

I guess I would argue there is plenty to latch onto, IMO. Super powers, Monster, hunting / trapping / burning the monster, alternate world (upside down), corrupt corporation, chase scenes, table top D&D references. Those all sound good to me. At least better than crushing a beer can.

#8 3 years ago

I thought the show was fantastic! It perfectly captured that Spielberg, Stephen King, John Carpenter vibe of the early 80's. Not so sure about a pinball based on it, though.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from shoemakesmusic:

I guess I would argue there is plenty to latch onto, IMO. Super powers, Monster, hunting / trapping / burning the monster, alternate world (upside down), corrupt corporation, chase scenes, table top D&D references. Those all sound good to me. At least better than crushing a beer can.

So you want the layout of PBR but with the theme of Stranger Things. Ok. You're right. That would definitely work.

#10 3 years ago

I love this series, took me an entire 3 days to watch it LOL.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

So you want the layout of PBR but with the theme of Stranger Things. Ok. You're right. That would definitely work.

Say what? I'm just talking strictly theme. Never said anything about layout. Not trying to argue, just saying it sounds like a better theme than crushing a beer can. It was a joke with some truth to it. Anyway, I think Stranger Things could certainly make a theme for pinball. Might need a couple more seasons under its belt to add to what is already there. But that is just my opinion.

#12 3 years ago

Say what? I'm just talking strictly theme. Never said anything about layout. Not trying to argue, just saying it sounds like a better theme than crushing a beer can. It was a joke with some truth to it. Anyway, I think Stranger Things could certainly make a theme for pinball. Might need a couple more seasons under its belt to add to what is already there. But that is just my opinion.

PBR is just a retheme. It's similar to many EMs or early SSs. The theme is just for art direction and has nothing to do with the gameplay. If you want a modern pin with toys and gimmicks, I don't think Stranger Things would work. It's a great show but it has more to do with great characters and their interactions. Plus it's an ensemble cast with no main character.

#13 3 years ago

Moving on, obviously Eleven is still alive. She's still getting her Eggos. I wonder what was said when the Police chief got in the car with the "agents". Did he agree to something with them? And of course Will is barfing alien worms out of his mouth. That seems harmful to your health.

#14 3 years ago

I can see some elements.

Hit into the tunnel to the institute, for a ball lock.
Upside down mode where the left flipper button activates the right flipper(s) and vice versa. or the under-playfield mini game, as someone said above.

Cycling to escape the vans video mode.

Spell out messages on a ouija board to unlock challenges.

Follow the lights (hit the current lit target) to find Will Byers.

#15 3 years ago

Yeah, if done well, i think there's definitely enough to build some rules and a playfield around. At least as much some other themes that have turned out to be a lot of fun. The basement, the forest, the research facility, etc. Not quite as much action as the Goonies, but much more potentially creepy subject matter that could give it a different slant. Also, season 2 will probably bring a lot more potential.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

I love this series, took me an entire 3 days to watch it LOL.

Yeah, it was awesome, i would have watched the whole season in a day or two, but my wife didn't like it quite as much so it took me nearly a week to finish it.

Moving on, obviously Eleven is still alive. She's still getting her Eggos. I wonder what was said when the Police chief got in the car with the "agents". Did he agree to something with them? And of course Will is barfing alien worms out of his mouth. That seems harmful to your health.

Judging by the positive responses that it seems to be getting, I'd be very surprised if they didn't renew it for another season or two. Anyhow, Eleven does clearly seem to be alive but I wonder if she's either stuck in the upside down or somehow became a type of monster herself? As for the chief and the agents, I imagine there's no end to the possibilities of things that could be going on at the research lab so its completely possible that the first season is just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe they're trying to bring the chief into the fold to keep him in line?

#16 3 years ago

Not sure how accurate it is, but this is pretty interesting nonetheless:

http://www.cnet.com/news/stranger-things-closes-in-on-game-of-thrones-reign-as-most-in-demand-show-on-television/

Also, as the article mentions, Mr. Robot and Preacher are both really great shows as well, for those who haven't watched them yet.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Mr. Robot and Preacher are both really great shows as well ...

Those are both on my list of shows to binge. I've heard really good things about Bloodline as well.

#18 3 years ago

Absolutely, Bloodline is great. A bit more of a slow, psychological drama than the others but its worth it just for Ben Mendelsohn. He plays sleezy better than almost anyone so it's so nice to see him getting some high profile work (rogue one and ready player one, supposedly)

1 week later
#19 3 years ago

I finished the series this weekend, watched it with my 14 year-old son. We both enjoyed it, although I thought Winona Ryder's acting was a bit over the top. I was hoping they'd run run into another "creature" when they were in the upside down.

There's been a lot of talk about the soundtrack. To me a lot of the original music reminded me of Tangerine Dream. I kept picturing Risky Business.

#20 3 years ago

My wifes best friends daughter(s) play Holly Wheeler on that show, I hope they don't make a pin because I would have to buy it no matter if it sucks or is great. They also played Judith on the Walking Dead but I dodged a bullet on that one since they didn't put them anywhere on the cabinet of playfield. If they did I was going to have them pose for a picture on top of the game (I would have the ultimate topper for a few minutes at least )

1 week later
#21 3 years ago

Binged the hell out of this show. Loved it!

#22 3 years ago

Loved it. They just signed on for Season 2, out in 2017...10 new episodes

#23 3 years ago

I was 95% sure they were going to renew it considering how popular it was, but getting a couple of extra episodes was a great bonus. They say their going bigger with next season's plot too, not just staying in the same town. Very excited to see what they do!

#24 3 years ago

Just finished the season 1

Very Cool

Had a John Carpenter feel to the music and loved that retro looking resolution

Great Show

Bring on Season 2 with open arms

1 week later
#25 3 years ago

Just finished as well and there better be a season 2 soon!

Love all the 80's shit even the intro with the red title I have to stare at everytime. Instantly made me think of S.Kings Needful Things I read as a much younger man.

image (resized).jpeg

Am I the only one who find Mrs Wheeler to be super sexy attractive??

image (resized).png

This might explain it didn't see this till just now.

image (resized).png

#26 3 years ago

Yes very hot!!! MILF

#27 3 years ago

Yep, she's quite attractive. Been in a ton of stuff over the years too.

#28 3 years ago

We decided to spoof it for our next pinball get together. I present to you.....Stranger Slings.

Stranger Slings (resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

Nice. Man though, Eleven's eyes look way creepy like that

#30 3 years ago

The ears look normal though hehe.

#31 3 years ago

Whoever did the original artwork there needs to make a pinball playfield in the same style.

#32 3 years ago

I liked the series a lot, and I see that they are making season 2 now. But, does anyone else think they should leave the Season 1 story as is, and for Season 2 have a completely different story, new town, new actors, new plot, etc. . I thought Season 1 ended well, no need to continue the story just to have a second season.

#33 3 years ago

I hope the next season is great.

I like it as it is and don't know if another season will benefit it.

Yes I know it was left open ended but sometimes more isn't always better. But we won't know till 2017.

and I agree that the music is awesome

#34 3 years ago

damn we had the same thought at the same time lol

Quoted from pinlink:

I liked the series a lot, and I see that they are making season 2 now. But, does anyone else think they should leave the Season 1 story as is, and for Season 2 have a completely different story, new town, new actors, new plot, etc. . I thought Season 1 ended well, no need to continue the story just to have a second season.

#35 3 years ago

I'm giving Netflix the benefit of the doubt since, so far, they seem to have put out pretty good season 2's for all of their shows that I've really loved the first season of (House of Cards, Kimmy Schmidt, Bloodline, BoJack, OitNB, and Daredevil). That's not to say that they're perfect. They've definitely had some that went sharply downhill in season 2....Hemlock Grove comes to mind, but the season 1 for that was just "Ok" anyway.

That said, here's hoping they don't make me eat my words though when Stranger Things s2 comes out next year

#36 3 years ago

Loved the bike riding scene when they are being chased by the vans....everything was leading up to the big E.T. Fly away scene.

And then.....Boom!!!!

#37 3 years ago

I want the large poster for my gameroom. The one on Amazon got horrible reviews. Very pixelated.

#38 3 years ago

Anybody notice fine details where they messed up....like in the scene where there are creating a submersion tank from a kids swimming pool and they are testing it to see if an egg can float. You see the egg has a small hole in it where they let the innards out
They forgot to clean/edit that so the egg looked perfectly raw! Of course a hollow egg will float on water

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Anybody notice fine details where they messed up....like in the scene where there are creating a submersion tank from a kids swimming pool and they are testing it to see if an egg can float. You see the egg has a small hole in it where they let the innards out
They forgot to clean/edit that so the egg looked perfectly raw! Of course a hollow egg will float on water

The scene by the pool where they are shotgunning beers, you could tell by the sound and the lack of any beer coming out when they punctured the cans that the cans were empty.

2 weeks later
#40 3 years ago

An interview with a little bit about Season 2, including how nervous they are about screwing it up.

http://collider.com/stranger-things-season-2-shawn-levy/

#41 3 years ago

Screwing up Stranger Things S2?

Simpsons-ThatsaPaddlin_zps0ffeb18d (resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago

Worth a watch. Only 3 minutes and can totally change your perspective on the show.

1 month later
#43 3 years ago

Local news story about Barb

#44 3 years ago

This is my favorite of the spoof videos: A Stranger Things Christmas

#45 3 years ago

Ha, those are both pretty great. Quite funny.

Also, i finally got around to watching the one that Mudflaps posted too. Interesting, particularly the stuff about the dual nature of the demogorgon. Were it true though, i don't know why she wouldn't be able to destroy it if she were able to create it. We can destroy parts of ourselves. Perhaps not as easily as creating them, but it's certainly possible.

Oh, and the video also kinda reminded me of the Ser Pounce/Azor Ahai theory video from GoT. Except, you know, it's not totally ridiculous. Still, it's pretty fun if you've never seen it:

#46 3 years ago

I binge watched the entire series a few weeks ago, wow loved it, they channeled so many of the 80's movie and TV shows. I thought Winona's acting was bang on. Heck the kids deserved Emmys. I have to say though this story was a one season show, now they're going to stretch it out...I hope they don't ruin a good thing.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

PBR is just a retheme. It's similar to many EMs or early SSs. The theme is just for art direction and has nothing to do with the gameplay. If you want a modern pin with toys and gimmicks, I don't think Stranger Things would work. It's a great show but it has more to do with great characters and their interactions. Plus it's an ensemble cast with no main character.

Stranger Things as a pin, would make a GREAT SS w/ alpha numeric displays aka sys 11 game sooooo fun.

1 week later
#48 3 years ago

This is interesting:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sean-astin-and-paul-reiser-are-in-stranger-things-seaso-1788667795

For those of you who are fans of Aliens, it sounds like season 2 will be getting a somewhat similarly sleazy "company man" version of Reiser. That could be cool.

1 month later
#49 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Anyone think that it would make a good pinball?

Yes.. in fact it seems like it would be pretty easy.

The entire backboard of the playfield is the wall with the letters painted, and each letter of the alphabet (which light up) sending you messages. Maybe a couple lamps scattered through the playfield that light up really bright. The xmas lights could be embedded into inserts, and the show movement of people in the underworld.

The underworld is an exact copy of the real world, except it's dark, and full of webbing, and those diseased green snowflakes falling. You could have a shot where you enter the underworld, the GI goes from bright white to dark green, and you're stuck there until you rescue whoever. The pro just gets GI, the premium/LE gets the snowflake effect.

Since eleven can make things happen, it could be done with magnets (like the shadow), maybe when she has her freakout and the walls crumble, that's when the shaker motor turns on to finish the effect.

The monster's heads remind me of those origami things you folded as a kid where you choose numbers and it tells you your fortune. I think there should be that mouth somewhere that's really subtle that you don't notice until the first time it opens up and screams at you.

The main theme would be the primary background song, but it could pull some of the other 80's songs (particularly the clash)

10 months later
#50 2 years ago

Anyone watching season 2 yet?

Watched the first episode tonight and it seems like a pretty good followup so far.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Various Novelties
Allteksystems
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 88.00
$ 149.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 334.95
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 129.25
$ 189.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside